Requiem's Content

There have been 569 items by Requiem (Search limited from 30-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#196241 Just My Luck... (not a story)

Posted by Requiem on 20 November 2002 - 10:42 AM in Quiz 92: Of Elves

I'm glad You're okay.

#196344 Carved in Stone

Posted by Requiem on 19 November 2002 - 06:56 PM in Carved in Stone

Haer'Dalis was sitting at a table in the inn's tavernroom alone. His mood wasn't the best and this was clearly displayed in his face.
He couldn't even drown his sorrows in alcohol as this would have blown his cover of a drow-warrior, drow warriors didn't get drunk, a drunken drow was a dead drow.

"I would like to ask You something about Veldrin."

It was Haer'Dalis' long experience as an actor on a stage, which helped him to keep his pokerface, now.

*Don't show him that You didn't notice him sneaking up on You, don't show any surprise. ...Now isn't that the warrior Requiem fought in the arena? Don't forget, it's Veldrin, not Requiem... *

"Then take a seat, but know, that this one wont talk about the quests, the matron mother and her daughter Phaere have given to Veldrin."

"I'm not here to spy today."

*Oh yeah, sure, and the sparrow is a celestial.* the tiefling thought. Aloud he said:

"By the way, why ask me?"

"Because You don't wear mages' robes and I would say from Your stature, that You're not a fighter. So there has to be a different reason Veldrin keeps You around."

*Huh?*
"Why would that be of any interest to You?" Haer'Dalis asked carefully.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Veldrin was sitting in her room in the inn, in the middle of a city full of drow and was memorizing spells from her book, which might play a role in rescuing the heads of her and her whole group tomorrow. She just decided to cast a cantrip to clean her mail-shirt, when her concentration was suddenly broken by a loud and vehement knocking on her door. Unnoticed by her, some pages of her spellbook turned by themselves.

Unusual calm and calculated she pondered the meaning of the noise.

*Did they find out, who we really are? Are they here to take us away to their torture-chambers? ...No, the drow wouldn't do it that way, they would wait until we sleep... Who then?*

She opened the door, to find a very angry tiefling/drow standing in front of her. Without a word he stormed into her room. Veldrin shut the door behind him, and watched as he cast suspicious looks around him. He even opened the wardrobe to cast a look inside.

"Would You please explain, just what You're doing there?" she calmly asked.

"I? Explain? Why don't You explain to me first, why a drow warrior comes asking me how You're treating Your males and how high his life-expectance would be after Your first night together?"

"He might have thought, You knew that."

"Stop joking! First You ignore me all the time, and now You're flirting with a drow? During an arena-fight?

"Hey! Watch what You're saying, that was not real flirting!" a third voice came over from where Lilacor was leaning to the wall, and the voice of the twohander sounded as if Haer'Dalis had touched a vulnerable spot."

"Who asked You? Give me an answer Raven, or are You letting Lilacor speak for You from now on?"

"Actually he was speaking for me since Spellhold."

"This is not... What?" Haer'Dalis looked into Requiem's eyes and found that they were examining him, as if he was a strange bug in a jar of glass.

"Lilacor noticed that I was dangerously unstable, and when I changed into the slayer for the second time, he decided to loan me some of his feelings, just enough to give me back some selfcontrol. It seems it's not enough for a romance, and to put it mildly, men must be the lowest priority in my mind at the moment. And if You want to complain about it, do me a favour and wait till I have my soul back."

The tiefling sighed and slowly walked back to the door, but then he suddenly turned around:

"Lilacor, Lilacor, the sparrow would have never thought of flirting with a male drow, if it weren't for You."

"That WAS NOT real flirting!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The drow warrior didn't know about all this, all he knew was, that Veldrin never summoned him, before she and her whole group vanished one day. Nobody believed, that it was a coincidence, that this was the very same day, when the high matron mother and her daughter Phaere were found slaughtered in the summoning room of the temple of Loth, nor that it was the same day, when a whole bunch of slaves, recently purchased by Veldrin, were sent out of the city-gates with secret orders from their mistress.

No, Veldrin had been a spy, some said, she was working for Jarlaxle, some superstitious folks even thought, that she had been a servant of the 'Silvery Beast' the 'Bane of Drow', herself. But this was nonsense, it was far more likely, that she had been sent by a different city, to weaken Usth'Natha's defenses.

The priestesses were the only ones, who knew exactly, they had used their prayers and magic, to ask Loth herself, or one of her many demonic servants.
Too late of course as the damage had already been done, and surely Loth wasn't pleased.
But this knowledge would never be given to a lowly male like himself. Nevertheless he couldn't help but wonder, and with him many others, what Veldrin's plan might have been. Killing the towns matron mother and her daughter was one thing, easy understandable, but he was wracking his brain, trying to figure out, why in the name of Loth, Veldrin had left a track of giant, glowing, indestructable mushrooms growing, whereever she had set a foot in town...

#196345 Carved in Stone

Posted by Requiem on 19 November 2002 - 06:46 PM in Carved in Stone

She was in trouble as always. How was it possible to stumble from one mess to the next like this?

Veldrin the Mad better known as Requiem in the surface lands, was somehow getting the idea, that it was not herself, who was spreading chaos, but that chaos was ambushing her, wherever she was going.

When would it have been possible to avoid this situation?

The silver dragon protecting the exit from the underdark had insisted, they should venture this drow city with the unspeakable name, to recue her eggs, going so far as to turn them into drow for the time being. No way of avoiding that.

After fullfilling several stupid quest for a cocky drow female named Phaere and her equal if not more cocky mother, Veldrin's friends had been quite exausted and demanded to rest in an inn, not somewhere out of town. No way again to avoid that.

Unfortunately the inn was more than just a simple place to rest some tired bones. Mostly the arena fights had disturbed her.
Should she have made compliments to the drowfighter for killing four far weaker opponents singlehandedly?

No, she should have never spoken to this smeary arena-keeper! Who hadn't wasted any time to introduce them to each other, after this special carnage of a fight.

First watching Veldrin had thought, that it was after all somehow sportsman-like of the drow, not to force captives of other races into gladiator-style fights, but even though her brain was working a bit slower without her soul, she finally understood, that most of those drow fighters had no free choice as well.
This was more like showing off with the houses champions, the poor fools who had the bad luck to oppose them in fights, were not much more than fodder.

Which easier way for a drow, to get rid of somebody, who was out of their direct reach, than suggesting his or her name as good pit-fighter to the house's matron mother? Murder was disguised in many ways in the city of the drow...

The fighter had accepted her challenge, of course, he had no other choice. This time the system, he so often gained profits from at the cost of his opponents lives, worked against him. He had been already wondering, what to do with her possessions, easy to read that in his face, what a fool.
Her equipment was looking eerie, okay, but he obviously underestimated the protective magic of the twisted jester-chainmail, she was wearing, and seeing it was not of elvish origin he had assumed her to be unable to cast spells in it. A bunch of summoned kobold-archers proved him wrong, soon enough, and she was just warming up.

Lilacor didn't like this sorts of fights that much, but in melee a warrior was far better than a bard after all, so not being specialized in one form of combat had been her advantage, and she had kept a safe distance, using her small arsenal of offensive magic.

The fight was nearly over, she had almost won, raising Lilacor for the last strike...

"I'm surrendering! You've won."

*Hey Requiem! He can't do that! Can he? That's against the rules!*

*Lilacor we're in troubles! I've never killed somebody, who said 'I give up' before, and I'm not going to start with it, now.*

*But if we don't kill him, the others might get the idea that we're weaklings, or no real drow, they're expecting us to kill him, whatever he's saying now, and besides, this could be only a trick of him, there isn't much he has left to loose now.*

*Then let's give him something to win, oh I don't like this, but that's the only reason I could think of a drow female would spare a drow male for.*

*Somehow I'm starting to feel sick, remember I'm still up here in Your mind? Can't we just simply kill him.*

The harlequin cast a smile to the drow fighter:

"Now I have to admit, that You're a far better fighter, than I had thought, male. It would surely be a waste to kill somebody that skilled.."

*Oh great! All I ever asked the gods for was a good fighter of some skill, and what did I get? A bard with a colorful imagination!* Lilacor groaned.

"Hmmm, what I would like to know is, are You as good in ...unarmed fights? ...You know what I'm talking about male, just You and me ..."

*No! Don't think of it!*

"...and some oil."

*Nooo! I'M BLIND! I'M BLIIIND!*

"Let's see, whether we can arrange something, after I'm finished with running Phaere's countless little errands..."

*D@mn I might be a weapon now but I used to be a man! A MAN!*

"I'll see You then male."

Veldrin left the fighting pit after a really relieved drow warrior.

*Hey Lilacor, we did it,... sorry, ...do You feel better now?*

*A bit, ...Requiem... do You know, what would help me?*

*Tell me, ...I think I owe You something.*

*This oil thing, ... could You think it about Phaere?*

#196352 Carved in Stone

Posted by Requiem on 19 November 2002 - 06:24 PM in Carved in Stone

*WAKE UP!!!*

"What? Whoaa!" the harlequin fell backward from the rock she had been sitting on, in shock. Landing soft enough in a patch of large glowing mushrooms. She didn't make enough noise to wake the other party members from their sleep. A cloud of glowing spores was settling down on her armor and her clothing, enveloping her in a faint green light. Requiem looked around to find out who had disturbed her so rudely, but didn't need long to figure out.

*Requiem we're on guard! You can't sleep now.*

*Lilacor! Stop screaming in my head,...screaming in my head? Since when are You up here?*

*You needed my help, and You still need it. I invited myself after Your second change into the slayer.*

*Out of my head! At once!*

*I don't think this would be a good idea, and hey! I'm just trying to keep You interested in the world, nothing more.*

* Do You want to make me Your marionette like Quallo?*

*Quallo Schmallo! No, Quallo fought me all the time, else I hadn't to babble such nonsense through his mouth, and would have been released years ago. You know how many people talked with him and thought he was just a normal looney? He could simply have said: Hey guys! There is a great Sword over in that wastewater pool, waiting for You to pick it up. But no... What an idiot!*

*And I?*

*Too weak to fight, and by the way You don't want me to go away, You don't want anything no more.*

*Right, just want to sleep, be left alone ...leave me alone.*

*If I do that now, Irenicus will win, fight the tiredness, we have to hunt him!*

*Why?*

*Your soul! He has Your soul!*

*Is it that important?*

*How do You feel without it?*

*I feel... nothing. Should I feel? Yes... I... there is memory of feelings. Are feelings good?*

*Yes, they are necessary, without them You don't work correctly, remember the golems we encountered?*

*Machines only useful to fullfil given duties for their masters. ...Am I already like them?*

*No, a small spark is still left, the fire will burn again, when Your soul is back. You must believe in that, ...please.*

*I will, and I wont sleep, ...will You help me stay awake? Wasn't I on guard or something?*

*Sure,... I know, stand up and walk over to a darker part of the tunnels, we can practice fighting a bit, I'll help You and guide Your hands. Let's see, whether You can still hit a stone wall.*

*Wont that hurt You?*

*...Don't worry, ...I wont break.*

#196356 Carved in Stone

Posted by Requiem on 19 November 2002 - 06:14 PM in Carved in Stone

"Have You translated this d@mn thing now? I'm getting nervous near this drow city!"

"Patience, if necessary I can still make a copy and work with it later, but when You're interrupting me any minute..."

"Sandstone!" Vander Blueaxe forced himself to mutter the ancient dwarven curse. So far his men hadn't detected any Drow patrols in this area but he was responsible for this little duergar-scout-party, and became more nervous each minute.
Obsidian Rustblade on the other hand was a scholar, and simply didn't understand, why it was so dangerous in this area now, the towns matron mother and her eldest daughter were both dead. Some days ago three merchants had by accident found the strange writing on the wall. It was beyond Vander's imagination, why anybody would carve a message into the stone-wall of a completely unlit tunnel. The merchants were sure that it was the work of a group of surface dwellers, but they explained they just weren't able to read this language, even though, they were capable of speaking it well enough.

"Interesting, interesting,..." Obsidian muttered.

"Bloody hellhounds! What?" Vander was ready to shake the scholar to get an answer.

"Huh? Oh You're still here? Well, it's some sort of journal entry, it reads:

Irenicus has to die!

He took all of me I ever wanted, when he stole Requiem's soul. He destroyed my dreams and left her as an empty shell, bare of any emotions. Her temper is gone and she has lost her edge. I see her stumbling through these dark tunnels and halls, but I know the darkness inside her is far deeper.

Die Irenicus!

I have seen her in the battles we fought, and she doesn't feel any necissity to fight anymore, even when her friends are in danger or her own life depends on it, she hesitates before she strikes, as if wondering, what it all might be about, as if it wasn't making sense to her at all. Is this still the same woman, who killed the red dragon Firkraag?

Die Irenicus! I curse You with words of any language I know.

My harlequin, we've been a team! Together we were a legend, and now? Will you become a monster like Irenicus? Will You see me as nothing more than a tool to fullfill a purpose? A tool which can be sacrificed and cast away, when it's no longer of any use? Are You already searching for another one to take my place?

Die Irenicus!

I remember my time before her, trapped by a mage in a place of darkness, and I'm starting to worry about my future. Will You leave me alone, here in the underdark?

Die Irenicus! Die die die!!!

First You feared my influence on You, but then we became friends, do You still care? Do You still listen to my words?

Cursing is not enough to ease my grief. I will pierce Your heart Irenicus!

Now we're tricking the drow, but there is no joy for You in doing so, how would You have laughed about it before Irenicus stole the humor out of Your smile, Your eyes and Your heart. I need the practice to find the weak points of his armor, You need my help more than ever before, close Your eyes and let me guide Your hands when You're challenging him.

We're coming to get You, mage! Beware!

The legend shall be reborn of my despair! Requiem shall live and with her my dreams!

So says Lilacor! Irenicus, beware of my eternal wrath! "

"Who in the name of Abyss is Irenicus, this Lilacor guy, or this Reki-chitchat?"

"You're asking me?" the scholar looked at Vander.

"D@mn and for this we're risking our heads here? Get moving!"

Obsidian sighed and stuffed his copy of the writing into his scrollcase, Vander had just no sense for good stories, but he was sure there would be others more interested. And he would be the one to tell them, of Lilacor and Requiem and their legend of lost love...

#96561 The Knight Rogue, chapter 4

Posted by Requiem on 17 November 2002 - 11:03 PM in Quiz 91: Hobbies

> http://gamejag.com/phpBB2/ was the adress during testing.

> ;) Arietta

Thanks ;)

#96578 The Knight Rogue, chapter 4

Posted by Requiem on 17 November 2002 - 09:06 PM in Quiz 91: Hobbies

Greetings Leo ;)

Just wanted to ask:

How do I get to the new Attic?

Is there any button or link to it on these pages?

#96630 The Knight Rogue, chapter 4

Posted by Requiem on 16 November 2002 - 05:57 PM in Quiz 91: Hobbies

> "> "I am Viconia. You are dead."

*grin* What an entrance!

> Once again, Kagain took point, grunting as the acid washed over him.

> Adrian moved to support him. Both of their armors were strongly enchanted,

> and resistsed, but the smoking fumes made them gag. If there was one thing

> that Adrian hated, it was having his stomach rebel.

LOL! Yeah, a hero (or an anti-hero) shouldn't spew after the battle regardless of the provocation. Kinda ruins that tough guy image. ;)

j.

#96684 The Knight Rogue, chapter 4

Posted by Requiem on 16 November 2002 - 02:51 AM in Quiz 91: Hobbies

> Emilia noticed that there was more deep hurt than anger in Tazok's

> expression as he faced the knight.

> - "I am a paladin of Tyr," the ogre said with all the dignity he

> could muster. "That why I have a holy symbol."

> - "Quit blaspheming, beast!" the knight snarled in anger.

> "The likes of you are the scum on earth every defender of good and

> justice is obliged to smite from existence!"

> The knight seemed a bit uneasy as well as angry, however. Perhaps it was

> the sight of the massive ogre wearing the symbols of Tyr, a kind-looking

> female half-orc with neatly done plaits and canary yellow traveling cape,

> and a huge human warrior with eyes burning like the very orb of sun.

I really like this visual - I wouldn't mess with Emilia and Tazok personally!

> - "I am a patient half-orc, but you are starting to annoy me,"

> Emilia said. "No-one has heard of an ogre paladin before, because

> there has been none. But just because there has not been one before,

> doesn't mean the couldn't be a first one. Kind of like you have never get

> laid, but it doesn't mean that you never will. I think."

> - "Why..." the young man blushed and drew his sword.

*snicker* Personally, I'm not putting any money on the young man's chance or success.

> > Tazok clanged the Justiciar against the leader knight's blade. His weapon

> and strength was superior, and it took no great difficulty to advance so

> that the knight's sword was useless. Tazok twisted his wrist so that the

> weapon dropped to the ground and pulled him off the horseback. He held the

> attacker's throat in tight lock, not squeezing, but making the point. The

> knight was scared, but his eyes still burned with anger.

Oh very good, Tazok!

I really like the irony of the ogre-paladin concept!

j.

#96685 The Knight Rogue, chapter 4

Posted by Requiem on 16 November 2002 - 02:41 AM in Quiz 91: Hobbies

> > Excerpt from 'Ruminations Of A Master Bard' He wondered how long he was

> going to have to wait. His legs were aching from standing so long, but he

> would not sit down in this place if he could help it. A veritable

> cesspool of corruption, by Helm! Thieves and murderers everywhere, I

> shouldn't wonder. Anomen Delryn carefully shifted his weight around,

> frowning as he felt the weight of his armor chafe at his shoulder. The

> armor was a decent one, but the padding didn't seem as good as it should

> be. Just like me. Never quite good enough. Anomen once more examined

> the dark and smoky interior of the Copper Coronet, hoping against hope

> that some more promising candidates would have entered during the past

> five seconds. Sadly, that didn't seem to be the case. There were all the

> usual drunks, passed out at their tables or rapidly working their ways

> towards doing so, snoring or singing or making drunken passes at the

> scantily dressed waitresses. Abominable. Do these people have no sense of

> propriety at all? One of the girls noticed his eyes momentarily lingering

> down her ample cleavage and gave him a cheeky grin before she turned her

> back and moved off, swaying like a ship in full storm. Anomen felt a hot

> and furious blush coloring his cheeks, and he hated himself for it.

> Indecent wench!

*snicker* It's so much fun to embarrass the Helm-boy, isn't it?

> Then there was that De'Arnise girl who was in here again, nagging

> everybody who came close to her about something or other. Probably out on

> some charity collection or something, while trying to ignore the advances

> of a particularly obnoxious elf named Salvanas, one of the regular

> customers. That elf has no idea of how to properly court a lady. I could

> teach him a thing or two, were I of a mind to do so. He probably doesn't

> even know the Language of Flowers, and I suspect he has never read a

> single line of poetry in his life.

Hmmm...that's quite a visual. Ano teaching Wormtongue...er Salvanas, that is.

> And that is exactly what he wanted. Of course he knew about my temper.

> Everybody does. Ah, how could I have been so foolish? Hot with

> indignation, he had immediately stated that he would be able to find a

> noble quest within one week, and within the most infamous den of vice and

> corruption in the city no less. Sir Cadril had replied that if that was

> so, he would eat a barrel of Old Winkin's Finest Armor Polish, without

> salt,

Sounds tasty! I'd like to watch Sir Cadril dig in :)

> I would handle the healing of course, as well as fighting on the

> frontlines. Perhaps one more healer might be useful, for handling lesser

> injuries. Somebody properly deferential, and eager to learn.

*shakes head* Oh yeah.

“The woman, clearly not

> impressed with the dumbfounded way he was staring at her, made an

> impatient noise and turned to one of her companions, the largest man

> Anomen had ever seen, who also had a small furry wig sitting on top of his

> bald head. No, wigs shouldn't move.

*grin* Hey, wigs move all the time when they are supposed to. That's part of the fun.

> “Of course, little Rini!” the giant boomed. “Minsc is always happy to

> help!” Before he was able to say a word in protest, Anomen found himself

> carefully picked up, lifted, and then set down again a little to the right

> of his previous position. He stood there, utterly flabbergasted and

> humiliated, opening and closing his mouth mutely as the redhead moved past

> him without a single glance back in his direction.

*howl*

> “I…I…I…” Anomen finally managed.

> “Minsc understands,” the large man said in a sympathetic voice, patting

> Anomen on the shoulder. “He remembers what it was like after first getting

> his head wound. Well, at least Boo remembers, and he has told me.” He

> lovingly patted the furry creature sitting on his head. “Boo says that the

> world is probably very dis-or-enting right now, but that you should get

> plenty of rest and it will soon feel better. Getting a hamster might also

> help, thought there is only one Boo, and Minsc will not be parted from

> him. Boo also suggests basket weaving as a calming occupation.”

ROFL! Adding insult to injury!

The redhead smiled pleasantly, and side-stepped the

> clumsy swings of her opponents. Her smile widened even further, and then

> she…disappeared. In her place stood a terrible monster, a snake woman with

> green and glittering scales all along her naked torso, with cruel yellow

> eyes and a forked and flickering tongue. She hissed, baring sharp fangs

> dripping with poison, and the two men stopped in their tracks. Having

> exchanged a look, they shrieked loudly and took off so quickly that their

> feet hardly seemed to touch the ground.

> A Yuan-Ti! Anomen thought, reaching for his mace. How is it possible?

> She did not seem evil. Well, not very. Then the scales and fangs

> disappeared, and the woman resumed her normal appearance, looking

> extremely tired. She steadied herself against the wall as the brunette and

> the barbarian with the hamster rushed over, followed at a slower pace by

> the blonde elf and the roguish looking man.

Oh my. *eyes wide* . Fortune smiles upon our meeting

> though, for I am Anomen, Warrior Priest of Helm, and a force dedicated to

> serving justice and righteousness. Should you desire to walk the path of

> virtue, my virtuous and strong arm will be lent to your protection.”

> Good, that's a good start. It shows politeness, a serious mind, and a

> willingness to be chivalrous and protective. Perhaps too many 'virtue'?

> No. You can't insert too many 'virtue', that is how true paladins talk.

> It was therefore with some surprise that he saw the redhead roll her eyes

> skyward. “Why me?” she asked.

Because we like you! (No that's the Mickey Mouse Club response, isn't it?)

Rini's meeting with Ano was pretty amusing. Loved the scene with Minsc picking Ano up and treating him like a rag doll! :)

j.

#96789 A Cappella Part 125 - Spectator

Posted by Requiem on 15 November 2002 - 01:00 AM in Silrana

> The creature yawned. “That's the way the Helmites tell it, but the Banites

> say that Bane created the beholders first and Helm wasn't bright enough to

> come up with an original idea. Me, I have no clue. I just know I have to

> hang around this dull place until my service expires. Hey, before you

> leave, can you teach the imps some new games? I mean, I can only play 'I

> spy' and 'peek-a-boo' so many times without getting tired of it, but not

> them, oh no. Rotten impish bastards.” This only set the imps into a fit of

> giggles.

*grin* Any game in particular? Pin the tail on the Beholder perhaps?

> Valygar said thoughtfully, “So you were ordered to guard the chest?”

> “You got it, fairly tall, dark and moderately handsome.”

LOL!

> Anomen had caught on to Valygar's idea. “But if you were not instructed to

> guard the chest's contents, then you should have no objection to us

> examining what is inside. After all, you must follow your orders to the

> letter.”

Hmmmmm....he sounds sorta like you, Ano!

> The creature seemed to consider the question. “Hmmm. Well, he screamed 'my

> > “Yep, but who is going to bother to do that?”

> “Me.” Before his words could sink in, Jarran kicked the chest with all his

> might. He and the Spectator watched the box arc through the air and fly

> over the railing of the platform.

> The creature turned to face him and said with a sigh, “Now you've done

> it.” A piecing light gleamed in his massive eye.

> Jarran turned to run, but at that moment the sound of the chest smashing

> on the rocks below reached them. The light faded from the Spectator's eye,

> and the creature chuckled.

> “Well, well. I don't have a reason to attack you any more. Thanks for the

> favor, pal. And now,” it said as it drifted past, “I am really hungry.

> Here, impy impy impy impies!”

Oh very nice solution!

j.

#96791 Searching for the Truth: Chapter 79

Posted by Requiem on 15 November 2002 - 12:56 AM in Quiz 91: Hobbies

Very well written story, Silver. The dialog and interactions are very real. However, like Laufey, I do wonder whether Emma would feel the same if she knew the truth about what Kane did to Imoen. If she did, I'd be very surprised and rather disappointed. It also occurs to me that if both Emma and Kane are Bhaal-spawn, then they are also half-brother and sister which makes their current liaison incestuous and I'm curious how they (Emma particularly) and others in Emma's party, (like Kivan) will react when they figure that out.

Lots of twists to work through.... ;)

j.

#96792 Road of redemption, part 151

Posted by Requiem on 15 November 2002 - 12:48 AM in Quiz 91: Hobbies

>

> Sarevok shook his head.

> - "Think," he said. "Umikaze can not be separated from you,

> and we really don't want her in the war zone. On the other hand, I will

> have to be the one who travels to Kozakura and buries Tamoko. It is a debt

> of honor I can not trust to anyone else, not even you. You understand,

> don't you?"

Sarevok is right. They certainly face a difficult choice.

> Sarevok's face brightened at that.

> - "How about this. We will wait for a while, say a month or so. And

> if she still hasn't attacked, we move on. Because we can help to minimize

> the damage caused by the initial attack, and when the bureaucrats send

> reinforcements we can travel to Kozakura."

yep! there are always options.

> > - "You know..." Imoen said, "I have been thinking... I will

> come to Kozakura and I want to see it and all... but I am missing Faerun.

> Candlekeep, even. It is... what I know. This Kara-Tur is fascinating, but

> it is not me. And I feel like I live on different wavelength from you

> others. I will grow old and die, for me time is a different thing."

Oh no! I don't want Immy to go!

> - "Im, " Peri said. "Perhaps... perhaps we could make a way

> to make you immortal too!"

> She was alarmed. She did not want Imoen to go.

> - "I am not at all sure that I want it," Imoen said, very

> serious. "I think... the very shortness of life, mortality and its

> pain and pleasure is something I don't want to leave behind. There is the

> afterlife, of course... but that is a different matter. You are beings who

> dwell the Red Earth, like they say here, beings like devas or spirits. I

> am just me, Imoen. I would miss you, but I think I must find my own way.

> But not right away. I will stick with you for a long time still."

Whew!

> - "Sister dear... spark of your sweet sugary soul will always remind

> me of you, wherever you go," Sarevok said.

*grin*

Poignant scene with Imoen considering her own mortality as opposed to that of her siblings.

j.

#96796 Alone in the Night 4: A new beginning (o

Posted by Requiem on 15 November 2002 - 12:42 AM in Quiz 91: Hobbies

> Well, she's been on extended holidays, but a new Vierna is finally ready.

> This party took me so very long, it's dark and I'm still not very happy

> about it. I hope you like it, more than I do.

Hmmmm...well I did like it. It has a dark theme but certainly has hope and new opportunities in the form of new friends and adventures. I'm wondering what makes you uncomfortable with it....

> "You bet I have problems," Vierna sighed as she rattled her

> shackles. "Have ever tried eating with handcuffs on? Most of the food

> on my fork ended on my tunic! And I had to sleep on my back last night in

> a most uncomfortable position! I'm all stiff! And, worst of all, these

> aren't just ordinary handcuffs, oh no... These are the Jansen

> Crime-be-damned Supercuffs! Made from magically enhanced steel so they

> can't be sawed off, and a lock so damn complicated it can't be

> picked!"

LOL! Yep, sounds like a Jansen invention to me. They always seem to backfire.

> "> Lungs filling with air, heart pumping blood once more, senses once again

> sending information, a brain suddenly again filled with the presence of a

> soul.

> The terrible, terrible agony of being life exploded within the half-elf's

> chest. Intense, gripping fear dominated her tormented mind. Instinctively,

> she drew herself into a fetal position, weeping quietly.

An excellent description. Being raised always seems so easy when one is playing, but I can't imagine that it is either without cost or pain. Btw, "being life" doesn't quite make sense. Do you mean, "The terrible, terrible agony of being alive...?"

> "> "I'm... not sure," Rgoren said, not having expected this

> question. "It couldn't have been longer than an hour, I think."

> "Not an hour," the woman shivered and rolled on her side.

> "It was... forever."

Oh my.

> "I wonder why," Lenny said.

> "Hey, we can tell a lot from clues, just not everything," Vierna

> said. "But the person who fell ended up being very dead."

Perhaps Vierna's next adventure is to play detective. She has excellent skills I must say!

>

> > Rgoren... She thought. You have no idea what you have done for me. Her

> memory was, mercifully, failing her. Even during her short stay in the

> afterlife, she had seen horrors beyond belief, experienced tortures

> unspeakable and felt pains on one should bare. The first memory was

> opening her eyes and finding herself on a field of gray sand... then, the

> shadows came... and they killed her... over and over again... the shadows,

> the spirits of those she had killed during her life, came back to do unto

> her as she did unto them. And she felt every sting, every agony. The

> garotte around her throat, the dull ache that came with poison, the stab

> of the dagger, including a few of the more exotic methods she had used...

> acid burning away her skin, a chest-wound slowly filling her lungs with

> blood, a bore-worm slowly eating her brain from the inside out. Over and

> over again, she found herself dying and resurrected again... only to have

> everything start anew.

An excellent description that clearly lays out why she felt her death had lasted so long.

> > And now she knew what the price of her destructive ways would be.

> And, for perhaps the first time in her life, she was afraid.

Good character insight.

> Glyill suddenly caught a glint in the corner of her eye, and turned around

> swiftly, only to see an glinting dagger hurled toward Rgoren. In a split

> second, she took one of her own daggers from her belt and threw it. The

> two daggers collided in mid-air, and landed just in front of the feet of

> the stricken priest. The other three adventurers were on their toes as

> well, and all of them were grabbing for their weapons. "Get out in

> the open Tirantis," she snarled.

A little redemption?

> "> But, she decided not to dwell on it. Instead, she decided to go to bed

> early. Her brother's wedding was tomorrow, after all!

*grins* I don't know if I'd want to invite Vierna and her crowd...anything can happen with them around!

This chapter had a lot of interesting insights into Gylill's character and her motivations. I thought it was very interesting even though the themes were very dark. It certainly didn't contain as much of the sly humor you write so well, but I liked it nonetheless and thought it provided a nice depth -- would like to see more insights into your other characters as well. ;)

j.

#96894 The Knight Rogue, chapter 4

Posted by Requiem on 14 November 2002 - 07:09 AM in Quiz 91: Hobbies

> And here ends Vivi's little introduction. I regret that you won't be

> seeing much of her again for a while, but I'm not a very fast writer.

Just glad to have made her acquaintaince at all! :)

Can't tell you just how much I enjoyed this. I enjoy the way you set things up, for example contrasting the polished and gleaming plate of most candidates with Vivi's black leather to strengthen the idea that somehow she's just not the usual sort of candidate.

You definitely got a few chuckles out of me in the "Boggy" scenes with his pompous reasoning and the allusions to his literary tastes! And of course it was most satisfying to have Vivi succeed in her knighthood AND become a paladin despite all the barriers.

*sighs happily*

j.

#96904 Hunter or the Hunted: Chapter 1

Posted by Requiem on 14 November 2002 - 05:39 AM in Quiz 91: Hobbies

> > Rain poured down in torrents, soaking everything. The city streets became

> swampy, and mud oozed between the boy's toes, turning his sandal-clad feet

> brown. His eyes scanned the nearby buildings, looking for shelter. An

> alley way served his purposes well enough, keeping most of the wind off of

> him, though the rain still found him. All in all he was a muddy, miserable

> mess, but he cared little for that.

> What he really cared about was his growling stomach. He hadn't eaten since

> two days before, and though he had been able to find water enough to

> quench his thirst, water alone was not enough to nourish his growing body.

> He had no money though, nothing he could trade to buy food except his

> katana, and he wasn't going to give that up, so he starved.

I like the way you set this scene up. Sets up the boy's motive nicely.

> > Then his eyes fell on a lone man, well dressed, but swaying slightly. He

> didn't seem as drunk as many of the others that wandered this street, but

> then again he was alone, and he looked like a good mark. The boy crept out

> of his hiding place and followed behind the man at a distance. He was

> inexpert at this art, if there was an art to it, but he managed, with some

> difficulty, to keep his target in sight.

Careful now...

> Suddenly the man vanished, and the boy, though he scanned the crowd in

> earnest, could find no sign of him. With a weary sigh he continued down

> the street until he found another dark hiding place, a three-sided box

> made by two buildings and a garden wall. He sighed and his stomach

> rumbled. It was beginning to look like he would go another night without

> food. He turned his eyes toward the street again just in time to see a

> dark shape block his view. He scrambled to his feet, but not quickly

> enough, for he felt himself being lifted by the front of his clothes and

> thrown hard against the garden wall and held there.

Uh oh.

> The man clapped him on the shoulder. “Good. Follow me, and I'll lead you

> to riches that you've never even imagined could exist.”

> The two of them left the alley, no longer predator and prey, but master

> and student.

Awwww....

Well-written story. I'm a very visual person and really liked the way you described the settings, Yoshimo's thoughts, his selection of his target...everything. I'd sure like to see more of this!

j.

#96906 Road of redemption, part 150

Posted by Requiem on 14 November 2002 - 05:26 AM in Quiz 91: Hobbies

> Chen's servant put little porcelain bowls full with hot soup, scenting of

> ginger root, in front of everyone. There was also steamed rice and pork in

> a spicy sauce. Sarevok and Peri didn't fail to notice that it was a

> festive meal, which caused them to frown a bit. It was not any special

> occasion to their knowledge.

Mmmm...sounds tasty! Why wait for a special occasion!

> ."

> - "That," Shui said, "is the civilized way. The poetry of

> language, the subtle understanding of nature of society and its functions,

> makes much of what separates a man of a beast."

What a lovely way to express this!

Like the way you're developing the political situation and also wrapping it around Sarevok's mission. Good chapter!

j.

#96909 Cards Reshuffled 18

Posted by Requiem on 14 November 2002 - 05:21 AM in Quiz 91: Hobbies

> Warning: Contains dangerous and evil Avariel! If you start feeling a

> sudden loss of control, it's probably because she's captured you and is in

> the process of turning you into her devoted thrall. The management will

> accept no responsibility for that.

Enter at your own risk eh?

> “Bernard of the Copper Coronet?” Yoshimo had asked, grinning amiably at

> “A man in my position must know things,” Yoshimo had said, winking slyly

> at Rini who couldn't help laughing a little despite her worries. “It is

> part of my trade, and I am told that I am very good at finding things and

> secrets as well as people. Did I not tell you that I am the Yoshimo? You

> must learn to listen more closely, oh fierce one.”

*grin*

> “My legs are just aching ! I've never walked

> this much in my life! Can…can we rest now, please ?”

Ooo poor baby.... Her l'il legs hurt. I know! We can cut 'em off! That'll make 'em feel better!

> “Coo!” the man said again, slapping his forehead with his palm. “Well,

> bless me for bein' an idiot if I haven't gone and forgotten me manners. My

> name be Gaelan Bayle. Ye needn't stretch your brain thinkin', I be sure

> it's a name ye haven't heard.”

*grits teeth* Coo, indeed. :)

>

> There really didn't seem to be very much to say after that, so Zaerini

> contented herself with nodding briefly to the man, before walking outside.

> Desperate as her situation still was, she felt better than she had in a

> long time. She had a goal now, a trail to follow, even if it looked to be

> a dangerous and winding path. I have to start somewhere, after all. And

> this 'Copper Coronet' place seems as good a place as any. Now I just have

> to make up my mind whether the 'Coo-man' or the Avariel wins the price for

> 'Athkatla's Most Annoying Voice'…

*chuckle* All things considered (factoring in Coo-man and Aerie) this was a rather delightful little transition into Athkatla. I liked the way you expanded upon Yoshimo's knowledge of the place -- made for a bit of fun.

Can't wait to enter the Cesspool where a certain squire awaits!

j.

>

#96981 Kaleidoscopes 22: Charades (new and long

Posted by Requiem on 13 November 2002 - 05:57 AM in Quiz 91: Hobbies

> so. a proper new part, this one, as it does not revolve entirely around a)

> bars or ;) the complaining bards therein. and there's even a picture of

> Kizrin - bear in mind this was done over a year ago, though, and is hence

> not too great. until i fix my scanner, this is the best i can offer...

A new part (btw, did I miss 21 somewhere?) AND a picture to boot! Very nice. You won't find me complaining, but then again you'll never see my vision of Jen simply because I don't draw beyond stick figures. *grin* Although I'm told I draw those at least as well as a 5 year old. ;)

> sorry about the length, too, i know this series tends to go on a bit. as

> does Anomen here. but still - Stuff Happens in this one. brace yourselves

> ;)

> If it were at all possible, if there existed some spell or scroll to help

> me, I'd wish nothing else than to travel back to that point, and tell

> myself of the future. I have had more than sufficient time to plan my

> words. Temper your anger, cure your arrogance - and above all, beware the

> revenger's wheel of fire. Revenge does not cure a man's misery, only

> proliferates it.

Very true and the more one focuses on revenge, the more likely one is to become like the one you wish to be revenged upon.

> > Of course, according to Valygar, we should all be enjoying this. He

> talks as though this were some family outing, to the theatre or the coast.

Well, given Val's own family, I imagine this little group...and this quest look relatively jolly.

> Korgan is already wading in, the fool, yelling out some unintelligible

> battle cry as he disappears among clacking limbs and teeth - but I hold

> fast, hammer raised, as red tipped arrows whistle past my head. Valygar is

> playing it safe, I see. A green-back falls under his assault, but two

> sword spiders still approach, oblivious to the barrage of missiles. I

> cannot see Kizrin anywhere.

Why is he looking for her if he thinks her so base and cowardly? ;)

> > "Fabulous," I mutter, and sit up. The metal plate covering my

> chest is still warm to the touch.

Absolutely fabulous.

> Korgan lies ten feet in front of me, surrounded by smoking bundles of

> limbs and spider insides. "Ach! Are ye tryin' t'kill me or

> somethin'?!"

Er...well, if wishes were horses......

> > Valygar cautiously wanders further into the room, peering into the hollow

> chambers that line the walls on either side. "Well, that was an

> anti-climax."

Yeah, well...it still doesn't look too good, buddy.

> "Eh, well, mebbee someone already go' here and sprung the trap. Me

>

> The tunnel beyond is lined with torch holders - but they are unlit, and I

> can see barely five feet ahead. "We ought to take some light with

> us," I say to Valygar, but he is already pulling at one of the

> burning torches on the wall, and to little effect. If his considerable

> strength cannot move one then they are clearly fixed tight. There was a

> time, of course, when there would have been no need for torches; when I

> could have dispelled the shadows with faith alone, and driven back any

> undead hidden within. These lost skills are the practical implications of

> my fall, but what of the others?

Poor Ano.

> Valygar, for all his ranger instincts, is still oblivious. He still pokes

> around this magnificent shell of a room, talking half to himself.

> "After what you told us earlier, I expected this place to be better

> protected. I expected a fight...but it was all so easy."

> "Of course it was." The voice rings out from the darkness,

> female and dripping in blood and honey.

*shakes head* No...no...no....*sigh*

> Somewhere behind me, clutching Kizrin like a precious treasure, Bodhi

> laughs like a banshee.  

What a picture; the party completely helpless, while Bodhi exults in her power. Rather deliciously shivery in a creepy sort of way. ;)

j.

#96985 Cards Reshuffled 17

Posted by Requiem on 13 November 2002 - 05:33 AM in Quiz 91: Hobbies

> More Evil Avariel! Well, what did you expect? Don't go to close to the

> bars, and don't reach your fingers inside if you're interested in keeping

> them.

How 'bout we just remove her teeth? I think a little dental work would be good for the soul....her soul anyway! ;)

It should have been just this one final quest. Protect Gorion's

> wards, and then, a child of their own. She could almost see the infant

> now, smiling at her, its eyes innocent and full of trust and love. Fading

> away. That child would never come to be. It had been stolen from her, as

> had he .

Poor Jaheira. Time does have a way of running out on you if you're not careful.

> > Kalah opened his mouth as if to say something, but at precisely that

> moment Aerie screamed, a piercing wail like that of a stricken bird, and

> threw herself to the floor, tears streaming down her face. “Uncle Quayle!

> Oh no!” The slime had disappeared, and now a small and crumpled form could

> be seen in its stead, a large and still smoking hole burned through its

> chest where the heart had once been. The dead gnome's face still held a

> look of vast surprise. “Uncle…Uncle Quayle is d-dead!” Aerie sobbed,

> hugging the corpse to her. “Oh no…what…what w-will I do now? I will be

> all…all alone!” She gently lay the corpse down and then buried her face in

> her hands, still sobbing.

> “Poor Aerie must not be left alone!” Minsc said, patting the elf on the

> head. “She must come with us, and help kick evil butts!”

> “I…I w-would like that!” Aerie said, smiling shyly through her tears.

> “But…but only if you all w-wish me to. I wouldn't want to…to be a

> b-bother, with my…my grief. But if…if you're sure, I'll do my best.

> Don't…don't m-mind me though. I'm sure I can manage somehow.”

Right. Now we take Aerie to Hollywood where she is about to be presented with the Oscar for best supporting actress for her role in the drama, "An Evening at Waukeen's Promenade." She smiles winningly at the crowd, her rosy mouth forming a perfect moue of surprise as she hears her name called. Dashing towards the stage, she begins to plot her revenge. "I should have been BEST ACTRESS!" she shrieks inwardly.... no no no no....see what you're making me do Laufey?????

> “Ah, another proof of a noble heart,” Yoshimo blandly said, sheathing his

> katana. “She is a rarity, this little one.”

*grin*

Gods, she's just soooo perfect. I want to slap her but will restrain myself for now. Good story, Laufey!

j.

#97002 Women gamers Requiem on 13 November 2002 - 04:54 AM in Quiz 91: Hobbies

> I've come across this Web site called www.womengamers.com (Because Women

> Do Play!). I first came across it while hunting down reviews on BG2 and

> was delighted to find it. I get frustrated with the lack of

> female-centered games, so it's great to see a site that's working to raise

> awareness of the female computer game player. Maybe this is one way we can

> get more games like BG on the market. :smile:

Yes it is a good site. I've got the warrior from your inserted pic as my desktop and also on a t-shirt which is always good for a few comments. (And let me tell you that our systems guys now know better than to replace her with some bland Windows desktop. *wink* )

> I figured I'd share, since there's so many XX-carrying gamers on this

> board. I hate that most games are marketed for the 18-22-year-old male. BG

> was a great start because it gave the female NPCs strong and interesting

> personalities. It also lets a female protagonist be treated as equally as

> the male protagonists (well, except for that whole Anomen romance, but

> that's a whole other rant ...) I'm sorry to see that more games like it

> haven't come out. Arcanum also was great in that regard, but I've not seen

> anything similar.

I'm with ya, girlfriend.

> I'll stop before I start ranting. Shouldn't I be working on a story

> anyway?

Would you? Please, please, please? I'm dyin' to see Renai again!

j.

#97130 Cards Reshuffled 16

Posted by Requiem on 12 November 2002 - 06:59 AM in Quiz 91: Hobbies

> Haven't seen that one, I was thinking more of Mind Flayers, and Hannibal

> the Cannibal. :)

Yeah, that does apply too. Guess you know what my influences are now though! :)

Starship Troopers is pretty amusing, cliches and all. I think it has all the makings of a cult favorite. And bugs are the enemies invading Earth...huge, nasty bugs with razor sharp legs and a bug mastermind that sucks brains... It's a good late night filler. :P

j.

#97135 Cards Reshuffled 16

Posted by Requiem on 12 November 2002 - 06:40 AM in Quiz 91: Hobbies

> *drumroll* Yes, it's more Evil Aerie! Don't go to close to the bars, she's

> already sucked out and devoured two brains today, but I'm sure she's

> hungry for more...

Shades of Starship Troopers....

> That's no ordinary woman , Zaerini thought. I…think it's some sort of

> summoned construct. She looks quite a bit like Aerie too – I wonder what's

> up with that? She even has pointy ears. Clearly the Avariel had noticed

> that as well. Her eyes widened as she spotted the woman, becoming almost

> as empty as those of the construct, and for a moment her face resembled a

> blank canvas, waiting for an artist's brush to create a painting. Then her

> rosebud mouth opened slightly, while a small frown appeared on her smooth

> brow. “Oh…” she said. “That…that is so h-horrid! P-poor Kalah…”

Oh that's great. I really never connected it that way, but now that you mention it....:)

> ”> “Poor Aerie…” Minsc said, a pair of honest tears rolling down his cheeks.

> “That the innocent and good should be treated so, and be kept chained up

> by evil gnomes…it makes Minsc so angry ! And when Minsc gets angry, Boo

> gets angry! And when Boo gets angry, EVIL GETS CHOPPED INTO TINY EVIL BITS

> BY HIS SHARP HAMSTER TEETH! RAARRRGGGH!”

LOL!

> “Yes, yes, yes,” Rini hastily added, throwing herself at the berserker and

> clinging to his arm to keep him from drawing his sword. “But Kalah isn't

> here right now Minsc. Just calm down. Please? Before you hurt one of us by

> mistake? Boo wouldn't want that, would he?”

Quick thinking, Rini.

> “Let me guess…” the half-elf added. “He's also the strongest, swiftest,

> smartest man alive, and all women who meet him swoon at his feet and want

> nothing more than to have his babies?”

Ooooo...sounds like Elvis or at least the Elvis I've seen on film. Screaming, fainting girls and all that. :)

> “> That's much better, kitten. It's good to see you playing with your prey;

> it means you're feeling stronger again.

That's right. It's good to play with your food!

> > The elf blushed prettily and looked down on her intertwined fingers. “I…I

> just th-thought that they might be illusions. So m-many things here are,

> and I…I know Kalah p-pretty well. I'm…I'm glad I could help.”

Awwww...she's soo sweet and holpful, now ain't she?

> > “Yes…” Yoshimo said with a small smile, idly studying the blade of his

> katana. “Such resolve…such fervor. I think anybody underestimating our

> little bird would be making a bad mistake.”

> Aerie flinched visibly as if she had been struck, turning away, and when

> she raised her head again her eyes were brimming with tears.

Now there's an interesting reaction. Wonder why she didn't mind HD calling her a dove -- that should have reminded her of her missing wings too.

> > The Kara-Turan simply shrugged, reclining on the pillows as he studied the

> intricately patterned ceiling. “Ah, Yoshimo is but a poor rogue, who knows

> little of the ways of such gentle souls. If he has offended, he is sorry.

> Perhaps we might be told more of this sad story? I am sure it is one well

> worth hearing.”

*sneers* Me too.

> > Amidst many a nervous smile and stutter, Aerie launched into her tale,

> with Minsc hanging devotedly on her every word. She spoke of her people,

> the Avariel who were winged elves living in a city high up in the

> mountain, far away, and of the joy of flying. Then she explained about how

> she had been captured by human slavers while trying to save a little human

> boy from them, and sold to a circus, one different than the one where she

> worked now. With tears in her eyes she described being kept in a cramped

> cage that made her wings become to diseased that they had to be cut off,

> and explained that Quayle had bought her free, teaching her of his own

> God, Baervan Wildwanderer of the gnomes. “I…I still miss my poor wings,”

> she concluded. “But…but I miss Uncle Quayle too, I am s-so worried about

> what Kalah might do to him…”

*sigh* A sad little tale.... well-rehearsed too, I might add.

Ok, you said no closing out the bars but geez, after Aerie's sad little tale, I think I DO need a drink! Ok, make that Pepto Bismal. :P

j.

#97142 Searching for the Truth: Chapter 78

Posted by Requiem on 12 November 2002 - 06:28 AM in Quiz 91: Hobbies

> You seem to love this guy (being your character and all), and others do

> too. Why? Just *why*? A rapist, murderer, bully, and general asshole...

> what is the appeal here? What is so freak'n attractive about a man that

> will rape you if you say no? Or beat you.

Ah...as one of the "others" who regularly reads Silver's story, all I can say is that I don't love this guy. In fact, I think he's bad news and if it were me, I'd be running away so fast, the stars in the heavens would be spinning. I too wonder why Emma finds him so attractive....just like I wonder at any young woman who insists on dating a creep. Still, that's part of the story exploration and I'm hoping/assuming that as we go forward, Emma will continue to grow up and allow herself to see Kane as he really is.... just as Imoen does.

That's just my perspective as a reader...Silver of course, will have to answer for herself. :)

j.

#97252 Flikka: Unexpected Guest

Posted by Requiem on 11 November 2002 - 07:02 PM in Quiz 91: Hobbies

> > "He's out there, my raven," Haer'Dalis said from the shadows.

> Flikka jumped. She could just barely make out the outline of his face and

> blueish braids. "A vision of loveliness you are today. The gentleman

> outside shall approve, if he is of any taste." He flashed a rogueish

> grin as he strolled down the hallway she had come from. "Don't let me

> keep you from the man of your dreams, my darling Flikka." He chuckled

> and disappeared around the corner. She rolled her eyes at the bard's

> antics, readied a 'Magic Missile' just in case, and pulled open the door

> apprehensively.

LOL!

> "Flikka?"

> She grinned, mischief in her eyes. "Shh . . . I'm timing them."

> "Timing . . . who?"

> Flikka turned to stare at the door. "Three . . . two . . . one . .

> ." The door burst open with Jan Jansen in the lead, closely followed

> by Viconia, Cernd, and Keldorn. Haer'Dalis was behind them, with Buck and

> the parrot at his heels. The bird took to the air and settled himself on

> Jolix's shoulder, and Buck shoved his way through the forest of legs

> before him to sit by Flikka's chair.

I got quite a chuckle out of this scene. Funny how these little groups meld together into an odd sort of *family* (and a nosy one at that!)

> > "Thank you, Jolix," Flikka said in relief. "You don't know

> how good it feels to see you again."

> The entire group stood, almost as one, and everyone filed out the door

> except Jolix, Cernd, the two familiars, and Flikka. "I'll show you to

> the guest room." Flikka embraced Jolix once again, then led him

> through the door to where he was to sleep. The abjurer winced as he felt

> Cernd's eyes glaring daggers into him.

> When Flikka shut the door to Jolix's room, she turned around to see

> Cernd's stormy eyes boring into hers. She had never really realized how

> much taller he was than her until he was angry.

Whoops! Flikka forgot to tell Cernd a few things about herself....?!

> "Flikka, who is this Jolix? A lover? Or perhaps, a husband?"

> Cernd said quietly. His voice was quite intense for its soft volume, she

> noticed. And throwing common sense out the window, she laughed out loud.

> "What," Cernd asked icily, "is so amusing?"

> Flikka was nearly doubled over in laughter now. "He's . . . he's

> neither of those, Cernd," she said, trying to smother her snickers.

> "He's my brother!"

Gotta love this! Brings me back to that scene from *Return of the Jedi* when Han Solo is acting all sullen and grumpy about Luke not realizing that he's really Leia's bro. Good stuff!

j.

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com