Searching for the Truth: Chapter 78

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 11 November 2002 - 09:13 AM

Here's another chapter with Kane as the evil guy. *Grins* And we get to find out why Imoen fears Kane so much. But be warned, I think this chapter is rather disturbing in places. It probably isn't as bad as I think it is, but I thought I had better put a warning just in case. Basically a fair bit of violence and a mention of rape. Not nice stuff. :)

Chapter 78

After their leader had gone to bed in a very bad mood, the six remaining companions sat in uneasy silence for a while. Finally Jaheira and Khalid retired to bed, followed shortly after by Dynaheir and Minsc. Imoen was left alone with Kivan, who was glaring moodily at the wall, speaking only to order yet another drink. Imoen had had her suspicions for a while about the elf's feelings for her best friend and his behaviour confirmed this. She reached across the table and took his hand.

“Kivan” she said quietly. “Don't let this get you down. Emma…she's just very confused right now. Things have been very hard for her these last two or three months and Kane can be very manipulative at times. She's not stupid, but if it makes her feel better to believe his lies, then that is what she will do.”

“I do care about her, Imoen” Kivan shook his head, still not looking at her. “Only as a friend, of course. Anyone can see that Kane will end up hurting her and I…I don't want that to happen. Why him, why him of all people?”

“I don't know, Kivan” Imoen whispered sadly. “I thought I knew Emma better than anyone, but now…now I'm not so sure. Kane…he's changing her and that frightens me. But I hope that something will happen sooner or later to show her that she is better off without him. Until then, all we can do is be here for her I guess.”

“She knows that she can always depend on me” Kivan drank the last of his drink and stood up. “I am not going to turn my back on her now…even if she is with him.”

“Do you…?” Imoen hesitated and then continued, knowing that it was now or never. “Do you have feelings for Emma? It's just that you've been upset since that scene outside and I thought…”

“Do not be so foolish!” the elf said at once. “My heart belongs to only one woman and that is…that is my beloved Deheriana. Just…just leave me be, Imoen!”

Imoen watched as he too went upstairs in a rage. 'Wow' she thought to herself. 'This is really getting to him.'

She waited for a few moments to ensure that none of her companions were coming back down, before slipping out of the inn into the dark night.

From listening to Emma's conversation with Kane, the young thief knew that he was working that night and would not be back until the early hours of the morning. It had been late when she left the inn, but she wandered around the streets for another hour or so, just to pass the time, before heading for the Helm and Cloak. Through conversation with the barkeeper, she learnt that Kane and his group were not yet back, although they were expected to arrive shortly. After flirting with him a little, Imoen managed to persuade him that she was a personal friend of Kane's and that he was expecting her. The barkeeper eventually told her what room he was staying in and as soon as his back was turned, the young thief hurried up the stairs.

Kane's room, shadowy and lit by just a single candle, was neat and tidy, except the bed, which clearly looked like it had been recently slept in. There were very few personal belongings lying around the room, just a sharp dagger with a poisoned blade, a small pile of gold coins, three gems, a strange object carved out of wood and a book. Imoen picked up the book, which similar to the journal she had often seen Emma writing in, and attempted to open it. However, it was locked tight and the thief could see no way of opening it. A pity really, she thought, as she would have dearly loved to read about Kane's private thoughts.

There was nothing else for her to do, so she cloaked herself in the shadows and waited. It was boring, but luckily she did not have to wait long. Only a few minutes later, she heard Edwin grumble in the corridor outside.

“Why must we keep these ridiculous hours?” he complained. “I really need sleep.”

“Quit complaining, Eddie” Kane replied swiftly. “We got paid, didn't we? And isn't that the most important thing? Anyway, I haven't got the energy to argue with you. I'm going to bed.”

Imoen tensed as the door opened and Kane stepped in. Even from where she was standing, she could see that the warrior had blood on his hands and face and she couldn't help shivering slightly. He appeared to sense that something was different because he stopped in the doorway and his eyes swept around the room. Then he walked in, shut the door and drew the bolt.

“Hello Imoen” he said, a faint smirk crossing his face as he said her name. “Nice of you to drop by, even if it is a bit late for a social call.”

“How did you know I…” Knowing that it was pointless to resist, Imoen stepped out from the shadows, although she still kept her distance from him. The warrior laughed.

“I've been a thief almost as long as you have been alive,” he told her. “And there's my Bhaal abilities of course. So, what can I do for you? I assume that you want something from me.”

“I want you to stay away from Emma” Imoen said immediately, although her voice trembled slightly. “She's my friend and I am not going to let you hurt her.”

“What makes you think that I am going to hurt her?” Kane retaliated. “Could it not be possible that I may actually care for her?”

“You could never care for anyone” The thief took a step back as he moved forward. “You are a monster. You're making her change and I won't…”

“You're shivering” Kane noted, giving her an evil smile. “Am I scaring you?”

“Anyone with any sense would be scared to be around you” Imoen told him. “Just…just go away and leave her alone. Leave us alone.”

“And what if I don't want to do that?” Kane asked. “What are you going to do then?”

“I'll tell her!” Although she was very afraid, Imoen stood up straight and looked him direct in the eyes. “I'll tell her what you did to me back in Candlekeep! I'll tell her…I'll tell her that you forced me…that you forced me to do things that I didn't want to do! And then she'll see that you…you're just a monster!”

She had barely finished when Kane grabbed her by the collar of her armour and slammed her against the wall, knocking the breath from her body. She struggled, but he was too strong. And when he drew a dagger from his belt, she gave up all thought of screaming for help.

“You aren't going to tell Emma anything,” he said calmly. “Anyway, what makes you think that she'll believe you, especially if I tell her that it's all just lies. You have made your feelings about our relationship perfectly clear and she is bound to start wondering why you didn't say anything before now. Anyway” he leant closer and Imoen could feel his warm breath on her cheek. “If you mess this up for me, I can promise you that you will end up as just another body floating down in the sewers. I'll see to it myself if necessary. Understand?”

Realising that she had little choice but to go along with what he said, Imoen nodded. Although she wanted to make him think that she was not afraid, she could not hide the fact that she was trembling in fear, or the tears that were welling in her eyes. He knew that she was afraid and she could tell that he was enjoying every moment. However, in a sudden burst of anger over everything he had done to her, Imoen grabbed his arm and dug her fingernails deep into his wrist. Kane gave a cry and released her and she took advantage of his confusion to run to the door. As she pulled back the bolt, she was certain that he would come after her, but when she quickly glanced over her shoulder, she realised that he was just standing there, a slight smirk playing on his lips.

“You are pathetic, Imoen” he told her, shaking his head. “Go on, get out. And remember, keep out of other people's business or you might just end up getting hurt. Oh yes, and send Emma my love will you?”

Imoen heard him laugh cruelly as she slammed the bedroom door shut and almost ran down the stairs and out of the inn. She didn't stop running until she was through the gateway that separated the upper and lower sections of the city. By the side of the Iron Throne building, she sunk to her knees and began to cry. She had known that she had taken a risk by going there alone, but a part of her had truly believed that she could talk him into leaving them alone.

Although Imoen had no wish to remember any of it, the scene at Candlekeep came back to haunt her, the night all those years ago, when he had trapped her in the stables while most of the others were in bed or locked in the library studying. She could still remember every detail, even though she wanted nothing more than to forget. Kane pinning her against the wall, forcing his mouth on hers. His hands touching her everywhere, tearing at her clothes. And the pain…pain unlike anything she had ever experienced before. She remembered how he had just walked away when it was all over, showing no emotion as if it didn't matter, leaving her crying quietly on the floor. Only Gorion, Ulraunt and Tethtoril had known about it, and Kane had been forced to leave Candlekeep forever. And Imoen had said nothing to anyone else, including Emma, because of the shame and guilt that she felt. She just wanted to forget. But there was a small part of her that could never quite forget…and that part of her knew exactly what Kane was truly capable of…

Emma felt better when she awoke the next morning and she rather ashamed when she remembered how she had snapped at her friends. They were wrong about Kane that much she was sure of, but when she thought about it she realised that none of them had really seen his good side and that they were only concerned for her. Although she had no intention of giving up on Kane just to please them, the half-elf knew that she was lucky to have such good friends and that she needed to apologise for her outburst the night before.

As she got up and began to put on her armour, Imoen sat up and yawned. Emma knew just from looking at her that something was wrong. Her friend's face was pale and there were dark circles under her eyes that were also red from crying.

“Immy, what's the matter?” Emma went immediately to Imoen's side and put her arms around her friend. “Has something happened? Did you have a nightmare or…?”

“Yeah, a nightmare” Imoen returned Emma's hug, glad that the half-elf seemed to be in a better mood. “It woke me up in the early morning and I…I couldn't get back to sleep properly. Kept falling asleep and then waking up again.”

“What was the dream about?”

“Nothing” Imoen lied quickly. “I…I can't remember.”

“I know how it feels” Emma gave her one last pat on the back and then stood up to continue getting ready. “I've have nightmares myself. Imoen?”

“Yes?”

“I just wanted to say” Emma paused and turned once more to face her friend. “That I'm sorry about yesterday. I know that you are only concerned for me. I don't need protecting, I can take care of myself, but I should have been more understanding. I'm sorry.”

“It's all forgiven” Imoen flashed her best friend a smile that quickly turned into a yawn. “Just so long as we are still friends.”

Emma apologised to the others over breakfast, saying more or less what she had said to Imoen and making it clear that she had no wish to hear their feelings about her relationship with Kane any more. The subject was closed, she told them, and that was the end of it, at least for her. The others reluctantly accepted this, although they were obviously not too happy about it, except Minsc who could not quite understand what all the fuss was about. Kivan seemed rather upset and Emma wondered what was wrong with him. However, she couldn't ask him because he avoided being alone with her and the half-elf noticed that he was also avoiding Imoen. But she figured that it probably wasn't anything too important and that the elf would be back to normal in a day or so.

When they were all ready, the companions and Sol-leks left the inn and made their way to the Flaming Fist compound. They were let in with no problems and found Duke Eltan waiting for them in a small room upstairs.

“I'm glad to see you back and unharmed, Emma” the Duke sounded rather relieved to see them back alive and well. “Tell me, what have you found? Have you learnt anything of use?”

“Not much yet, I'm afraid,” Emma told him honestly. “But we know that any incriminating evidence would be found with Reiltar, the overall leader of the Iron Throne here in Baldur's Gate, and we also discovered that he is currently in Candlekeep on some sort of important business.”

“That information is useful and I thank you for performing what must have been a very difficult and dangerous task” Duke Eltan said with a sigh. “However, I am afraid that I must ask something more of you. If I give you a book that you could use to gain entry, would you travel to Candlekeep and attempt to learn what Reiltar and the others are doing there? For whatever it is, I am certain that it cannot bode well for the fortunes of this city.”

Emma hesitated for a moment. She wanted to help stop the Iron Throne and a small part of her longed to see Candlekeep again, but she was also worried that it would bring back painful memories for her; memories of her childhood, when Gorion was alive and the walls had kept out all danger. Finally she made her decision.

“We shall go,” she told him. “And we will do our best to find out what the Iron Throne are planning.”

“Thank you” The Duke hurried over to the bookshelf in the corner and took off a large book with a blue cover and a red spine. “Give this to the keeper of the Portal” he instructed, handing it to the half-elf. “And he will let you into the library. Good luck.”

“So we are to go to Candlekeep” Khalid said as the group left the compound. “This may well be interesting. When a-are we l-leaving, Emma?”

“We should stock up on supplies and leave before the sun sets” Jaheira said briskly. “Emma?”

“No” the half-elf shook her head. “We shall leave first thing tomorrow morning. Imoen needs some more sleep or she will be no good to anyone and I have plans.”

“I see” Jaheira said coldly. “And these plans would not involve Kane, perchance?”

“Maybe” Emma replied, equally coldly. “I don't see what business it is of yours.”

“This is an important mission, child,” Jaheira snapped. “More important than spending time with your lover…”

“I do realise how important this is,” Emma snapped back. “But we shall go tomorrow and nothing you say shall make me change my mind.”

“Minsc wonders what all this shouting is about” Minsc sounded rather confused. “And Boo is not certain either. If there are butts to be kicked then Minsc thinks that we should kick them soon, lest they get away. But if Emma says that we go tomorrow, then Minsc agrees with her. Emma knows best!”

“I have to agree with Minsc” Dynaheir said carefully. “Emma is right in saying that Imoen needs more rest. We will not be able to travel far with her so tired. And whether we agree or do not agree with the choices Emma makes does not matter. She is our leader, therefore we should do as she says.”

“We'll do as you like” Kivan said emotionlessly, shrugging his shoulders. “I care not.”

“Well then” Emma commanded. “We will go to the shop first, and after that you are free to do what you like until tomorrow morning. Although I think that someone should stay with Imoen while she sleeps. Just in case she is troubled by any more nightmares.”

“Can't you stay with me?” Imoen pleaded. “Please Emma? It'll be just like old times. Remember?”

“I can't, Immy” Emma shook her head. “I'm sorry, I really am. But if we are going to Candlekeep tomorrow, then I have to see Kane tonight. I don't expect you to understand, but you will one day.”

Imoen caught Kivan's eye and opened her mouth to say something, to tell Emma what Kane was really like, but she remembered his threat and closed it again. Besides, Emma was happy and she couldn't spoil it for her, not now. Not when everything else was so difficult.

When they had made sure that all their equipment was in order, the group had gone their separate ways for the day. Emma went off to the Helm and Cloak, after Jaheira curtly told her to make sure that she got some sleep that night. Dynaheir dragged Minsc and Boo off to take another look at the wonders in the magic shop, Khalid and Jaheira went off to the Hall of Wonders and Kivan took Imoen back to the inn. However, despite being tired, the young thief found it hard to rest and when she did finally fall asleep, she was haunted by nightmares…

#2 Guest_Lord E_*

Posted 11 November 2002 - 10:04 AM

> “I do care about her, Imoen” Kivan shook his head, still not looking at

> her. “Only as a friend, of course. Anyone can see that Kane will end up

> hurting her and I…I don't want that to happen. Why him, why him of all

> people?”

I get annyoed at them. What do they know about love anyway.

> “I want you to stay away from Emma” Imoen said immediately, although her

> voice trembled slightly. “She's my friend and I am not going to let you

> hurt her.”

Well, at least she is brave.

> “I'll tell her!” Although she was very afraid, Imoen stood up straight and

> looked him direct in the eyes. “I'll tell her what you did to me back in

> Candlekeep! I'll tell her…I'll tell her that you forced me…that you forced

> me to do things that I didn't want to do! And then she'll see that

> you…you're just a monster!”

Ouch, ouch, ouch.

> Anyway” he leant closer and Imoen could feel his warm

> breath on her cheek. “If you mess this up for me, I can promise you that

> you will end up as just another body floating down in the sewers. I'll see

> to it myself if necessary. Understand?”

I get the feeling he does care for Emma.

> Although Imoen had no wish to remember any of it, the scene at Candlekeep

> came back to haunt her, the night all those years ago, when he had trapped

> her in the stables while most of the others were in bed or locked in the

> library studying. She could still remember every detail, even though she

> wanted nothing more than to forget. Kane pinning her against the wall,

> forcing his mouth on hers. His hands touching her everywhere, tearing at

> her clothes. And the pain…pain unlike anything she had ever experienced

> before. She remembered how he had just walked away when it was all over,

> showing no emotion as if it didn't matter, leaving her crying quietly on

> the floor. Only Gorion, Ulraunt and Tethtoril had known about it, and Kane

> had been forced to leave Candlekeep forever. And Imoen had said nothing to

> anyone else, including Emma, because of the shame and guilt that she felt.

> She just wanted to forget. But there was a small part of her that could

> never quite forget…and that part of her knew exactly what Kane was truly

> capable of…

This is dark indeed.

> “I can't, Immy” Emma shook her head. “I'm sorry, I really am. But if we

> are going to Candlekeep tomorrow, then I have to see Kane tonight. I don't

> expect you to understand, but you will one day.”

> Imoen caught Kivan's eye and opened her mouth to say something, to tell

> Emma what Kane was really like, but she remembered his threat and closed

> it again. Besides, Emma was happy and she couldn't spoil it for her, not

> now. Not when everything else was so difficult.

Kane truly is a complex character.

Road of redemption

#3 Requiem

Posted 11 November 2002 - 06:52 PM

ARgh! Had most of my comments written out and then hit something and lost it all!

Seems to me that Kivan may not even be admitting the truth of his feelings to himself. Hope we explore that a little more!

Anyway, this was really a well-done chapter. Dialogs were excellent and the scene with Immy and Kane certainly horrific. *shivers* I could certainly understand why she hoped she could confront him and talk him into leaving Emma alone although it didn't seem too smart for her to put herself back in path like that.

And poor Imoen to have faced such a thing alone. I'm a little surprised though that in such a small community, that what happened, particularly given Kane's expulsion, wasn't more commonly known. Small communities tend to be full of rumors and whispers about events and I'd have suspected that Imoen wouldn't have exactly been her cheerful old self for quite a while which would have lead folks to ask questions. All this to say that it makes me wonder whether Emma really is as blind or unknowing as Immy thinks she is and whether the issue really is that Emma doesn't want to confront the truth or (as you've hinted inthe past) has had her own run-ins with Kane and now has a kind of love-hate thing going on. Ah well,enough speculation. See what happens when I lose the comments attached to your text?! ;D

j.

#4 Guest_Anonymous_*

Posted 12 November 2002 - 12:01 AM

Me: Powerful stuff here. Poor Imoen.

Morderion: "Obviously I'm not a paladin, but I was never into the whole rape thing. Not about 'morals' or whatever with me. The way I see it, where's the fun?"

Tartanos *stalks away, glaring coldly at Kane*

#5 Darkwolf Shadowwalker

Posted 12 November 2002 - 05:59 AM

> Here's another chapter with Kane as the evil guy. *Grins* And we get to

> find out why Imoen fears Kane so much. But be warned, I think this chapter

> is rather disturbing in places. It probably isn't as bad as I think it is,

> but I thought I had better put a warning just in case. Basically a fair

> bit of violence and a mention of rape. Not nice stuff. :)

Okay, I found a few moments and felt I just had to comment. I have been reading your story, even if I don't comment.

I still don't get Kane. At all.

You seem to love this guy (being your character and all), and others do too. Why? Just *why*? A rapist, murderer, bully, and general asshole... what is the appeal here? What is so freak'n attractive about a man that will rape you if you say no? Or beat you.

#6 Laufey

Posted 12 November 2002 - 06:09 AM

Oh, poor, poor Imoen. :) I assume Emma will find out about this eventually? And I really wonder how she'll react.

In The Cards
Rogues do it from behind.

#7 Requiem

Posted 12 November 2002 - 06:28 AM

> You seem to love this guy (being your character and all), and others do

> too. Why? Just *why*? A rapist, murderer, bully, and general asshole...

> what is the appeal here? What is so freak'n attractive about a man that

> will rape you if you say no? Or beat you.

Ah...as one of the "others" who regularly reads Silver's story, all I can say is that I don't love this guy. In fact, I think he's bad news and if it were me, I'd be running away so fast, the stars in the heavens would be spinning. I too wonder why Emma finds him so attractive....just like I wonder at any young woman who insists on dating a creep. Still, that's part of the story exploration and I'm hoping/assuming that as we go forward, Emma will continue to grow up and allow herself to see Kane as he really is.... just as Imoen does.

That's just my perspective as a reader...Silver of course, will have to answer for herself. :)

j.

#8 Guest_Anonymous_*

Posted 12 November 2002 - 08:42 AM

Okay, first things first; you missing punctuation after dialogue. :) (Scared you, didn't I?) I'll try to pick them out, though. :)

> Here's another chapter with Kane as the evil guy. *Grins* And we get to

> find out why Imoen fears Kane so much. But be warned, I think this chapter

> is rather disturbing in places. It probably isn't as bad as I think it is,

> but I thought I had better put a warning just in case. Basically a fair

> bit of violence and a mention of rape. Not nice stuff. :P

After the clues in the last story, I figured it out. *sigh*

> *****

> After their leader had gone to bed in a very bad mood, the six remaining

> companions sat in uneasy silence for a while. Finally Jaheira and Khalid

> retired to bed, followed shortly after by Dynaheir and Minsc. Imoen was

> left alone with Kivan, who was glaring moodily at the wall, speaking only

> to order yet another drink. Imoen had had her suspicions for a while about

> the elf's feelings for her best friend and his behaviour confirmed this.

> She reached across the table and took his hand.

> “Kivan” she said quietly. “Don't let this get you down.

Okay, this sentence should read "Kiven," she said quietly, "don't let this..."

Emma…she's just

> very confused right now. Things have been very hard for her these last two

> or three months and Kane can be very manipulative at times. She's not

> stupid, but if it makes her feel better to believe his lies, then that is

> what she will do.”

> “I do care about her, Imoen.

missing the period.

> her. “Only as a friend, of course. Anyone can see that Kane will end up

> hurting her and I…I don't want that to happen. Why him, why him of all

> people?”

Oh dear, he's not telling the truth to himself, is he?

> “I don't know, Kivan.

period again :)

> than anyone, but now…now I'm not so sure. Kane…he's changing her and that

> frightens me. But I hope that something will happen sooner or later to

> show her that she is better off without him. Until then, all we can do is

> be here for her I guess.”

Poor Imoen.

> “She knows that she can always depend on me.

*grins* Sorry for being so picky. It seems that I'm on a roll. Period again.

> “Do not be so foolish!” the elf said at once. “My heart belongs to only

> one woman and that is…that is my beloved Deheriana. Just…just leave me be,

> Imoen!”

liar.

> From listening to Emma's conversation with Kane, the young thief knew that

> he was working that night and would not be back until the early hours of

> the morning. It had been late when she left the inn, but she wandered

> around the streets for another hour or so, just to pass the time, before

> heading for the Helm and Cloak. Through conversation with the barkeeper,

> she learnt that Kane and his group were not yet back, although they were

> expected to arrive shortly. After flirting with him a little, Imoen

> managed to persuade him that she was a personal friend of Kane's and that

> he was expecting her. The barkeeper eventually told her what room he was

> staying in and as soon as his back was turned, the young thief hurried up

> the stairs.

This is not going to be good.

> Kane's room, shadowy and lit by just a single candle, was neat and tidy,

> except the bed, which clearly looked like it had been recently slept in.

> There were very few personal belongings lying around the room, just a

> sharp dagger with a poisoned blade, a small pile of gold coins, three

> gems, a strange object carved out of wood and a book. Imoen picked up the

> book, which similar to the journal she had often seen Emma writing in, and

> attempted to open it. However, it was locked tight and the thief could see

> no way of opening it. A pity really, she thought, as she would have dearly

> loved to read about Kane's private thoughts.

Hmm, that is if he isn't lying to himself. People like Kane are very adept at doing that.

> “Quit complaining, Eddie.

Period. :)

> Imoen tensed as the door opened and Kane stepped in. Even from where she

> was standing, she could see that the warrior had blood on his hands and

> face and she couldn't help shivering slightly. He appeared to sense that

> something was different because he stopped in the doorway and his eyes

> swept around the room. Then he walked in, shut the door and drew the bolt.

I really don't like this. I wonder if he bolted the door to make her feel trapped.

> “Hello Imoen” he said, a faint smirk crossing his face as he said her

> name. “Nice of you to drop by, even if it is a bit late for a social

> call.”

Period after Imoen.

> “How did you know I…” Knowing that it was pointless to resist, Imoen

> stepped out from the shadows, although she still kept her distance from

> him. The warrior laughed.

I don't blame her. I'd do the same. Scratch that, I would have never gotten that close to him.

> “I want you to stay away from Emma” Imoen said immediately, although her

> voice trembled slightly. “She's my friend and I am not going to let you

> hurt her.”

> “What makes you think that I am going to hurt her?” Kane retaliated.

> “Could it not be possible that I may actually care for her?”

At this point I still had some good feelings towards him.

> “You could never care for anyone” The thief took a step back as he moved

> forward. “You are a monster. You're making her change and I won't…”

Perios after "anyone." And, Im's right. He is making her change.

> “You're shivering” Kane noted, giving her an evil smile. “Am I scaring

> you?”

Period after "shivering." (hehe, I know I'm being evil.)

> “I'll tell her!” Although she was very afraid, Imoen stood up straight and

> looked him direct in the eyes. “I'll tell her what you did to me back in

> Candlekeep! I'll tell her…I'll tell her that you forced me…that you forced

> me to do things that I didn't want to do! And then she'll see that

> you…you're just a monster!”

That was extremely brave of her.

> She had barely finished when Kane grabbed her by the collar of her armour

> and slammed her against the wall, knocking the breath from her body. She

> struggled, but he was too strong. And when he drew a dagger from his belt,

> she gave up all thought of screaming for help.

This is when I started to hate him.

> “You aren't going to tell Emma anything,” he said calmly. “Anyway, what

> makes you think that she'll believe you, especially if I tell her that

> it's all just lies. You have made your feelings about our relationship

> perfectly clear and she is bound to start wondering why you didn't say

> anything before now. Anyway” he leant closer and Imoen could feel his warm

> breath on her cheek. “If you mess this up for me, I can promise you that

> you will end up as just another body floating down in the sewers. I'll see

> to it myself if necessary. Understand?”

By saying that, he is showing that he really doesn't care for Emma. If he really loved her, he wouldn't have hurt someone she loves.

> Realising that she had little choice but to go along with what he said,

> Imoen nodded. Although she wanted to make him think that she was not

> afraid, she could not hide the fact that she was trembling in fear, or the

> tears that were welling in her eyes. He knew that she was afraid and she

> could tell that he was enjoying every moment. However, in a sudden burst

> of anger over everything he had done to her, Imoen grabbed his arm and dug

> her fingernails deep into his wrist. Kane gave a cry and released her and

> she took advantage of his confusion to run to the door.

Good girl, Imoen.

> “You are pathetic, Imoen” he told her, shaking his head. “Go on, get out.

> And remember, keep out of other people's business or you might just end up

> getting hurt. Oh yes, and send Emma my love will you?”

Liam: She's the one who's pathetic? I highly doubt that. If fact, I am fairly sure it is you, Kane. You used your strength to violate her ... you, you raped her. You are no more than a coward.

> Imoen heard him laugh cruelly as she slammed the bedroom door shut and

> almost ran down the stairs and out of the inn. She didn't stop running

> until she was through the gateway that separated the upper and lower

> sections of the city. By the side of the Iron Throne building, she sunk to

> her knees and began to cry. She had known that she had taken a risk by

> going there alone, but a part of her had truly believed that she could

> talk him into leaving them alone.

Maybe because there is part of her believes that he cares for Emma?

> Although Imoen had no wish to remember any of it, the scene at Candlekeep

> came back to haunt her, the night all those years ago, when he had trapped

> her in the stables while most of the others were in bed or locked in the

> library studying. She could still remember every detail, even though she

> wanted nothing more than to forget. Kane pinning her against the wall,

> forcing his mouth on hers. His hands touching her everywhere, tearing at

> her clothes. And the pain…pain unlike anything she had ever experienced

> before. She remembered how he had just walked away when it was all over,

> showing no emotion as if it didn't matter, leaving her crying quietly on

> the floor. Only Gorion, Ulraunt and Tethtoril had known about it, and Kane

> had been forced to leave Candlekeep forever. And Imoen had said nothing to

> anyone else, including Emma, because of the shame and guilt that she felt.

> She just wanted to forget. But there was a small part of her that could

> never quite forget…and that part of her knew exactly what Kane was truly

> capable of…

I don't think you need the ellipsis at the end of the paragraph. *sigh* realistic. One thing bothers me, though. If Emma had been that close with her, wouldn't she have noticed the change. Maybe she chalked it up to teen agnst or something.

> “Yeah, a nightmare”

Period after nightmare. (evil period fiend from hell, aren't I?)

> When they were all ready, the companions and Sol-leks left the inn and

> made their way to the Flaming Fist compound. They were let in with no

> problems and found Duke Eltan waiting for them in a small room upstairs.

> “I'm glad to see you back and unharmed, Emma”

Period again. :)

> “Thank you”

Period.

The Duke hurried over to the bookshelf in the corner and took

> off a large book with a blue cover and a red spine. “Give this to the

> keeper of the Portal” he instructed, handing it to the half-elf. “And he

> will let you into the library. Good luck.”

> “So we are to go to Candlekeep”

Period. :)

Khalid said as the group left the

> compound. “This may well be interesting. When a-are we l-leaving, Emma?”

> “We should stock up on supplies and leave before the sun sets” Jaheira

> said briskly. “Emma?”

Period after sets.

> “Well then” Emma commanded.

Period.

“We will go to the shop first, and after that

> you are free to do what you like until tomorrow morning. Although I think

> that someone should stay with Imoen while she sleeps. Just in case she is

> troubled by any more nightmares.”

> “Can't you stay with me?” Imoen pleaded. “Please Emma? It'll be just like

> old times. Remember?”

> “I can't, Immy” Emma shook her head. “I'm sorry, I really am. But if we

> are going to Candlekeep tomorrow, then I have to see Kane tonight. I don't

> expect you to understand, but you will one day.”

Period or comma after Immy.

This... this I really don't like. Emma knows her supposedly best friend is upset, and yet won't stay with her, but goes off to have sex instead. Just great.

Sad, really sad. I hope that Emma gets to know Kane a little bit better.

Liam: Stay away from Imoen, Kane. It might be better for your continued survival.

#9 Guest_Billy_*

Posted 12 November 2002 - 09:55 PM

Silver!

I know that I've already said it to you in private, but I've got to say it again. This chapter brought back very bad memories for me, but I like it despite all that. And I can understand Kane, I can understand his reasons and motives, or at least I think I can. Rape is a terrible thing but it does happen, as I know all too well. I knew that you were very wary about posting this chapter and I am very glad that you did. It's realistic and horrific but that is what makes it so great. I pity poor Imoen and I feel sorry for Emma too. I won't say too much more, since I know what is going to happen and I don't want to give anything away, but in my opinion, you have dealt with this well. Keep writing, Silver, and take care of yourself. If you need my support, you know where I am. I'm incredibly busy these days, but never too busy to comfort a friend.

Love ya!

Billy

#10 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 13 November 2002 - 06:40 PM

> Silver!

Hey Billy!

> I know that I've already said it to you in private, but I've got to say it

> again. This chapter brought back very bad memories for me, but I like it

> despite all that.

And I know that I said it before but I'll say it again too. I'm glad. To be honest, I was rather concerned about posting this chapter...but it had to be done.

> And I can understand Kane, I can understand his reasons and motives, or at

> least I think I can.

I figured that you would say something like this. He's a confusing, complex character, but that is why I like him so much...

> Rape is a terrible thing but it does happen, as I know all too well.

*Hugs* I know. And I also know that I'm treading rather dangerously here in dealing with this subject, but I've written it well before and I remain confident that I can do so again.

> I knew that you were very wary about posting this chapter and I am very glad > that you did. It's realistic and horrific but that is what makes it so great.

Thanks. :)

> I pity poor Imoen and I feel sorry for Emma too.

So do I...:D

> Keep writing, Silver, and take care of yourself. If you need my support, you > know where I am. I'm incredibly busy these days, but never too busy to

> comfort a friend.

*Shakes her head* Billy, you know me too well. I'm guessing that you noticed that so much of my writing has been depressing recently, right? Well I'm not doing brilliantly to be honest with you. I've had a few 'accidents', quite bad ones, but I'm holding up. Don't worry, I'll be fine. :D

> Love ya!

Love you too.

> Billy

Silver

#11 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 15 November 2002 - 06:36 PM

> I get annyoed at them. What do they know about love anyway.

Kivan might know a little, but I wouldn't imagine that Imoen does.

> Well, at least she is brave.

And a little foolish.

> Ouch, ouch, ouch.

Ouch indeed!

> I get the feeling he does care for Emma.

Yes, he does.

> This is dark indeed.

I know.

> Kane truly is a complex character.

That's why he's so interesting though. ;)

Thanks for commenting. :)

Silver

#12 Guest_Winter_Bloom_*

Posted 18 November 2002 - 12:24 AM

Hmm, this chapter would be hard to write. It's hard enough for me to admit that's what happened to Andaire's mother. ;) Nevertheless, any shred of sympathy or hope I ever had for Kane has now disappaited with such an awful crime. As long as he didn't do anything too evil, he could be redeemed. However, rape is one of those crimes I personally find reprehensible, and it's something he can never erase from his past, no matter how he tries to justify it. He doesn't deserve happiness for what he's done to Imoen, and instead of appologizing to Immy when she shows up, he threatens her instead.

It's a well writen chapter though. ;P

Blades and Magic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com