A Record!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 07 November 2003 - 09:04 PM

How is this for a record? Yesterday, I finally completed Icewind Dale for the first time. Nothing exceptional about that, right? Wrong. I've only owned a copy of the game for two years and three months. It was the first PC game I ever purchased and I'm so pleased that I've finally finished it! *shakes head* Two years...I still can't believe it.

#2 Guest_Viconia_*

Posted 23 October 2004 - 11:19 AM

I started playing this game a while ago and after playing BG/BG2, I had somewhat high expectations of this game... Only, nothing actually seems to ever happen. So, yes, I'm wondering... does anything actually happen? Or is it purely trudging around dungeons with no plot or interaction?

#3 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 24 October 2004 - 05:32 PM

I started playing this game a while ago and after playing BG/BG2, I had somewhat high expectations of this game... Only, nothing actually seems to ever happen. So, yes, I'm wondering... does anything actually happen? Or is it purely trudging around dungeons with no plot or interaction?

There is a plot, yes, but nothing really in the way of interaction. There is just a lot of dungeon crawling involved. In my opinion, it's a good game but it doesn't measure up to BG/BG2.

#4 Guest_Viconia_*

Posted 25 October 2004 - 06:40 AM

There is a plot, yes, but nothing really in the way of interaction. There is just a lot of dungeon crawling involved. In my opinion, it's a good game but it doesn't measure up to BG/BG2.

lol. You're the first one to say that IWD has a plot. ^^;; I don't think that's the aspect that actually makes you play on though. I think the only difference it has to BG2 is that you get to create all 6 characters... which has it's advantages and disadvantages..

#5 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 25 October 2004 - 08:42 AM

lol. You're the first one to say that IWD has a plot. ^^;;

Well, it does. It may not be an exceptionally detailed plot, but you aren't just wandering aimlessly around killing things. :twisted:

I don't think that's the aspect that actually makes you play on though.

I don't know...I believe it was the plot more than anything else that made me purchase the game after I had played the demo of it and I wasn't disappointed.

I think the only difference it has to BG2 is that you get to create all 6 characters... which has it's advantages and disadvantages..

To be fair, I think Icewind Dale lacks a lot of things that BG/BG2 has. There is no joinable NPCs, therefore a complete lack of party interaction and romances, and the plot is fairly straightforward. There are a handful of sidequests, but they are few and far between.

However, having said this, though I prefer BG2 every time, I still find Icewind Dale an enjoyable game in its own right.

#6 Guest_Fantysm_*

Posted 02 January 2005 - 02:10 AM

To be fair, I think Icewind Dale lacks a lot of things that BG/BG2 has. There is no joinable NPCs, therefore a complete lack of party interaction and romances, and the plot is fairly straightforward. There are a handful of sidequests, but they are few and far between.

However, having said this, though I prefer BG2 every time, I still find Icewind Dale an enjoyable game in its own right.

In a way, though, it's a good thing that you don't have much interaction, from a writer's point of view. Because you can then take all the artistic license you want and no one can blame you for it. Not that I wouldn't take a joinable NPC or those party banters I live for if they were offered to me. Romances, not so much. And the sidequests could be improved.

But what am I saying, I haven't finished the game yet! Kudos to you, Silver, for finishing it.

#7 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 04 January 2005 - 09:44 PM

In a way, though, it's a good thing that you don't have much interaction, from a writer's point of view. Because you can then take all the artistic license you want and no one can blame you for it. Not that I wouldn't take a joinable NPC or those party banters I live for if they were offered to me. Romances, not so much. And the sidequests could be improved.

That's true. You can create your own characters, give them whatever personality seems most fitting, have them interact as you like. For someone like me, who enjoys creating my own characters, it's pretty good story material. And the quest might be pretty straightfoward, but there is no reason while it couldn't be made more interesting.

But what am I saying, I haven't finished the game yet! Kudos to you, Silver, for finishing it.

Heh, thanks. Now I've just got to get round to finishing IWD2. :roll:

#8 Guest_InconspicuousAcuity_*

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:48 PM

How true. The BG games have a certain feeling about them that the IWDs simply can't rival with.

IWD1 I finished a long time ago and I can say there *were* some parts of it that I particularly enjoyed. Yxunomei's enclave was really interesting, concept-wise, with the little girl and her cryptic lines popping up here and there. I also think there was a good touch to Everard, with his change of mind and all. I actually played through this game two or three times. The expansion... eh... and I'm not really fond of the Tales of the Luremaster add-on either.

IWD2 I found considerably duller, though some of my friends liked it. I only finished that once and not many details come to mind when I think of it.

#9 Guest_SmartAzz_*

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:25 AM

I haven't played IWD 1, but I found II rather boring and predictable, although I did like icepalace, (and the being summoned back to these demons to the palace was quite creative aswell, ok, it's just hacking and slashing, but the idea of being summoned there is cool).

The sidequests aren't that nice really, but I really liked the fact that you could perform certain things with charisma/intelligence.

One downside is that it was INCREDIBLY unbalanced; my (female) Drow monk/cleric totally owned all (why the monk? Just 1 level because of the + armor for everything two wisdom you receive and wearing no armor gives you limitless dex anyway, and the female is because female drow has cleric favourite class). A lot of races are just far better than others, and exploiting classes is nasty aswell (human paladin/sorcerer, has huge saving throws by the time you get a average level because of the high charisma). etc.

You could ofcourse say: exploiting something is your own choice; you don't have to exploit such things! True, but if it invites you to do so, it becomes incredibly attractive.

And uhh Silver, I don't know whether you are talking about IWD 1 or 2, but I know that IWD 2 isn't that hard... (I played it two times, the first time without using exploiting classes, second time with) and I just had two places of trouble, the Orc shamans with their call lightning, and the final battle with Isair and Madae.

Hope I didn't spoil your fun :S

#10 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:55 PM

Okay, this is a very late reply, but anyway...

How true. The BG games have a certain feeling about them that the IWDs simply can't rival with.

Absolutely! Although in some ways they can't measure up to the BG series, I think the IWD games have good aspects to them. The music, for example, is absolutely beautiful - at least I think so. :lol: And I really like the general setting and some of the places you can visit.

IWD1 I finished a long time ago and I can say there *were* some parts of it that I particularly enjoyed. Yxunomei's enclave was really interesting, concept-wise, with the little girl and her cryptic lines popping up here and there. I also think there was a good touch to Everard, with his change of mind and all. I actually played through this game two or three times.

I loved the whole part with Yxunomei. I found the whole 'little girl with her cryptic lines' part really creepy - even when I play it now and I know what's comng, it still has a certain feel to it. The beginning part at Easthaven is something I always enjoy too. And although some other people aren't keen on it, I like making my own party. It's easier to form exactly what I want - and the problem with needing certain characters for quests/romances and stuff, just isn't an issue.

The expansion... eh... and I'm not really fond of the Tales of the Luremaster add-on either.

I don't like Heart of Winter as much as the original game, but I did like some parts. I found the general atmosphere in the village very creepy, and it was nice that most of the villagers has certain mini quests that you could do. Also there were a couple of nasty options for evil characters that I was very pleased with. I also liked the way things changed in the town after you came back from doing particular things. It gave a definite sense that time had passed.

IWD2 I found considerably duller, though some of my friends liked it. I only finished that once and not many details come to mind when I think of it.

I found IWD2 more difficult combat-wise, and I found some parts of it boring. I never fully completed it because of a bug, but I got pretty far through. Didn't particularly like the beginning, so it took me a while to get into, but I liked the ice temple and some of the smaller quests. Also I remember thinking that some of the dialogue options were good.

Maybe I'll give it another chance in the future. It has been quite a while.

#11 Gerardoutisa

Posted 21 February 2024 - 03:49 PM

ÐлагодаÑÑŽ за познаваÑелÑнÑÑŽ и акÑÑалÑнÑÑŽ ÑÑаÑÑÑŽ. Я Ñзнал много нового и полезного Ð´Ð»Ñ ÑебÑ. ÐвÑÐ¾Ñ ÑÑаÑÑи - гÑамоÑнÑй ÑпеÑиалиÑÑ Ð¸ ÑÐ¼ÐµÐµÑ Ð´Ð¾Ð½ÐµÑÑи Ñвою мÑÑлÑ. СпаÑибо за Ð²Ð°Ñ ÑÑÑд и ÑаланÑ.

Attached Files

• Attached File  375.gif   10.89KB   0 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com