Tide of Destiny - 141

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Slide_*

Posted 02 November 2003 - 03:19 PM

I confess, the song is just one of my favourite ballads that I knew I wanted to include at some point. And Haer'Dalis is gone... but what rule is there that only bards can be musical? ;)

Chapter 141: Dark Tunnel

The campfire crackled weakly, even as Reynald poked dying embers around the edges with the tip of his dagger. The warmth the flames had produced was fading a little, and the adventurers all drew their cloaks around their shoulders as the night chill penetrated the camp site a little more.

The mood in the party was fairly dim, despite their hopeful venture. Intensive study of the volumes the scholar Rendval had uncovered revealed that a possible way to resurrect the only partially-vampirised Jaheira required taking the heart of the vampire that had bitten her and using an altar of the god Amaunator.

Unfortunately, Amaunator was a deceased God – but not long ago, in the month of waiting for Edwin to develop a route to the Underdark, the party had travelled across Amn to the Umar Hills, where the village of Imnesvale had been under threat from an unknown source. Further investigation had revealed that a Shade Lord, leader of Shadows, had been preying on the village from nearby catacombs – catacombs which turned out to be a former temple of Amaunator. And Imoen had remembered seeing an altar there.

So they had departed early that afternoon, not planning to return to Athkatla soon – they would go to the Umar Hills and then straight to where Elhan and the rest waited, to face Suldanessellar and Irenicus, hopefully in a party six-strong.

It seemed, however, that none of them quite dared hope. Harrian’s gaze was constantly locked on the flames so intently that whenever he looked away, spots appeared in front of his eyes; Minsc tended calmly to Boo; Reynald seemed deep in his own thought as he sharpened the Sword of Chaos; Anomen was packing away the pots used to cook their dinner, and even Imoen – who had been bright and cheerful, even more optimistic than Harrian when they had set off – was lost in thought, her arms wrapped around her legs as she rested her chin on her knees, a slightly pensive frown on her face. Behind them, further towards the trees, was the small, light cart they had bought, upon which rested Jaheira’s body. However hopeful they were, it felt intensely morbid to be carrying a corpse across Amn.

Harrian stretched a little, breaking the silence as he grunted quietly. “We should get some sleep, and set off as soon as possible in the morning,” he instructed curtly.

Anomen glanced at him. “Harrian… we had to force you to stop for the night. Let us make this a good night’s rest. We shall be at the catacombs by noon tomorrow, if we leave just after dawn,” he said cautiously.

“We can set off before that.” Harrian fidgeted distinctly.

Reynald raised his head calmly, and the Bhaalspawn settled a little under the gaze of those cool blue eyes. “Rest, friend,” the fallen paladin said quietly. “The day shall be intensive tomorrow. Let us have a calm evening, a restful night, and a solid march on the morn.”

“These are hardly the best circumstances for a calm evening,” Harrian responded, but amazingly less venomously than he’d directed most answers to anyone all day. Though his morbid disposition had been alleviated with Imoen’s news, a depression had made way for absolutely frayed nerves, mood-swings, and an intensive drive to move as quickly as possible. He had laughed, he had thanked the Gods, he had hugged them all when he’d heard the news, but as the party hurried to get ready to depart, a dark mood had come along, and he had snapped at them repeatedly to speed up.

“A hero’s life is rarely calm. Always administering the boot to evil’s buttocks does not allow much rest. But when rest is available… Minsc and Boo like to make the most of it. It leaves my mind so much more at ease when battle comes,” the big ranger spoke up quietly, resting with his back against a tree trunk and his eyes half-closed, Boo nestled comfortably in the palm of his big hand.

“I’m not being unreasonable. I’m just suggesting we get an early start tomorrow,” Harrian said quietly.

“Yes, but by ‘early start’, you mean three hours after midnight,” Imoen said gently. “Rest. We all need to rest. We will have an early night, but the evening is still young.” She glanced around. “Think we’ll need to set up a watch.”

“Yes. Remember what happened last time we didn’t?” Harrian said with certainty, glowering at the remains of the fire.

Silence fell upon them all again. It was an odd atmosphere; charged, worn, both frantic and weary, leaving them feeling as if they’d been run to death. It pained Harrian to think it, but he missed Haer’Dalis. The bard would always find a way to fill an evening, even if it was just by annoying everyone – annoyance was a minor issue to deal with compared to this dull, oppressive feeling that had settled.

“We need music. I suppose Haer’Dalis took his lute with him,” Imoen mumbled, sulkily staring at the dying fire, and evidently thinking similar thoughts to Harrian.

Anomen, who was easing himself back down to sit next to her, shook his head. “If he did not, then it is not with us. I did not see it anywhere around the house.” There was a long, taut pause again. “But then, none of us can play it.”

“I can!” Imoen piped up.

Harrian gave a brief bark of laughter, then shook his head as she looked at him challengingly. “No, no… nothing…” he assured her, chuckling. “I can just easily remember the few times we thought we would try to regale the common room of Candlekeep inn with a few verses of song. Winthrop banned us from trying ever again unless there was a brawl and he wanted to clear the tavern!”

Imoen stuck her tongue out at him. “If I recall correctly, that wasn’t because of my playing, but your singing.”

Harrian gave another smile, which hadn’t been a regular sight all day. “I will insist you had some part in it, but I concede your point.” He glanced at the others – Minsc was now listening intently, and Anomen looking at them with a slightly amused expression. Only Reynald was inattentive, focused on the sharpening of his blade. “I sound like a dying cat when I sing.”

Imoen chuckled. “And I can hardly string two notes together on a lute…”
“It was some dusty thing you found up in the attic which Winthrop had once used – in need of some desperate tuning!”

“Sounded fine to me!”

“We got bottles thrown at us!”

The two siblings exploded into nostalgic giggles, laughing the laugh of those who desperately need to smile, desperately need some light, desperately need an escape from the darkness. It was also the laugh which is followed by a long, painful, acute silence.

“It is the waiting Minsc hates most of all,” Minsc said at last, his own, usually smooth brow wearing an uncharacteristic crease. “Evil waits… evil acts… evil is about, and yet, we can do nothing. Good must triumph, but not yet. The Good rest in their cocoons, waiting to become heroic butterflies, and until then the nectar of evil flourishes without limit.”

This was also met with a silence, but a silence of a very different flavour. Then Imoen, who was giving the big ranger a rather confused look, took a deep breath. “Minsc… don’t butterflies die after a week?”

“I thought we were trying to be cheerful?” Anomen wondered aloud.

“Minsc has a point, though,” Harrian mused. “Well… maybe not about dying in a week. I hope. But these times are always… trying. There are things we need to do, yet right now… this is the pause. So we’re more effective when we do go and fight… erm, nectar.” He poked at the fire with the tip of one of his throwing knives. “Do you think elves are dying as we wander around these woods? We could be in Suldanessellar now, finding, fighting Irenicus.”

“And you’d just leave Jaheira?” Imoen asked gently, knowing he was just sounding out thoughts, but guiding him along with them so they didn’t take him to too dark places.

Harrian considered this for a moment, then slipped the knife back into his bandolier. “No. Of course not. I was just thinking of the ‘greater good’ for a moment.” He shrugged, his expression twisting into a wry smirk. “Hells. We focus too much on that. We fight, and we die, and we give for the so-called greater good. Have you ever met anyone who’s benefited from the greater good?”

“Well, no. But we are the fighters and givers,” Anomen said, tactfully skirting around the dying part.

“Yeah. Let’s live for ourselves for a bit. We’ve earned it,” Imoen sighed, leaning back against the log she and Anomen were propped up against. Harrian didn’t miss her shifting a little closer to the cleric as she did so, and felt a brief pang. But no. He had to hope.

“We could buy a lute,” the pink-haired mage continued, chewing on her lower lip. “And hire a travelling minstrel to run around behind us as we travel.”

“No. He’ll probably just compose another bloody song about me,” Harrian groaned, pinching the bridge of his nose.

The minstrel boy to the war has gone,
In the ranks of death you'll find him.
His father's sword he hath girded on,
And his wild harp slung behind him.

’Land of Song!’ cried the warrior bard,
’Tho' all the world betrays thee,
One sword, at least, thy rights shall guard,
One faithful harp shall praise thee!’
The minstrel fell, but the foeman's chain
Could not bring that proud soul under.
The harp he loved ne'er spoke again,
For he tore it's chords asunder.

And said "‘No chains shall sully thee,
Thou soul of love and bravery!
Thy songs were made for the pure and free
They shall never sound in slavery!
’”

One more long pause fell upon them, and all eyes slowly turned towards Reynald, who had not looked up from sharpening his sword even as he sung in a low voice, in a voice where his usually educated accent had made way for a sharper northern twang. He was showing no signs of acknowledging his sudden actions or their response to it.

“I did not know you sang, Reynald,” Anomen said at length, looking surprised.

“Buy a lute and I shall play it,” the fallen paladin responded dryly, glancing up slightly. “No, I am no bard – though I suppose I could be, as I do not know what I am anymore. But I am a man who likes music.” A wry smile crossed his face. “Besides, I was afraid our fearless leader would eventually try to sing to cheer us up, and from his recent accounting of his singing abilities, I did rather want to stave that off.”

“Where’d you learn that?” Imoen asked, similarly thunderstruck. “I only ever heard it in that tavern up at Ulgoth’s Beard. Never this far south.”

“You forget, we knights… we wander.” Reynald slowly stopped sharpening his sword, and sheathed it smoothly before glancing at Harrian. “And now you are calm, your minds empty, this might be a good time to get that slumber our fearless leader spoke so often of.”

Harrian nodded slowly, his brow furrowed. “Why that song?” he asked at last, even as he gestured to the others and stood up himself. “It’s not the most cheerful of ditties I’ve ever heard.”

“I do not encourage mindless cheer,” Reynald replied, smirking a very little as he clambered to his feet. “But I thought the ballad fitting. Fighting, losing, and yet not quite being defeated? It is the sort of thinking I feel we should be currently encouraging.”

#2 Guest_argan_*

Posted 02 November 2003 - 05:35 PM

Hey ho, lets go ;)

Nice chapter (but you already knew that, huh) :)

#3 Guest_bobby23_*

Posted 02 November 2003 - 05:53 PM

loved the song

this fallen paladin is realy makeing a difrance

hope it doesnt take too long to get jae back this melodramatic stuff gone on long enuf lets get jea and kill the bondege mage

#4 Guest_Bjorn_*

Posted 02 November 2003 - 06:19 PM

I confess, the song is just one of my favourite ballads that I knew I wanted to include at some point. And Haer'Dalis is gone... but what rule is there that only bards can be musical? :?

And frankly, given some of the stuff that Haer spouts during the game, I'm pretty glad it's not him singing :)

It seemed, however, that none of them quite dared hope. Harrian’s gaze was constantly locked on the flames so intently that whenever he looked away, spots appeared in front of his eyes; Minsc tended calmly to Boo; Reynald seemed deep in his own thought as he sharpened the Sword of Chaos; Anomen was packing away the pots used to cook their dinner, and even Imoen – who had been bright and cheerful, even more optimistic than Harrian when they had set off – was lost in thought, her arms wrapped around her legs as she rested her chin on her knees, a slightly pensive frown on her face. Behind them, further towards the trees, was the small, light cart they had bought, upon which rested Jaheira’s body. However hopeful they were, it felt intensely morbid to be carrying a corpse across Amn.

At least they hadn't already buried her before finding the books - that would have been considerably more morbid :(

Harrian stretched a little, breaking the silence as he grunted quietly. “We should get some sleep, and set off as soon as possible in the morning,” he instructed curtly.

I'm amazed he's acknowledging the need for sleep at all, actually :)

Anomen glanced at him. “Harrian… we had to force you to stop for the night. Let us make this a good night’s rest. We shall be at the catacombs by noon tomorrow, if we leave just after dawn,” he said cautiously.

:D Aww - poor Harrian. Don't think he's going to sleep too well tonight whatever.

Silence fell upon them all again. It was an odd atmosphere; charged, worn, both frantic and weary, leaving them feeling as if they’d been run to death. It pained Harrian to think it, but he missed Haer’Dalis. The bard would always find a way to fill an evening, even if it was just by annoying everyone – annoyance was a minor issue to deal with compared to this dull, oppressive feeling that had settled.

Aargh! Harrian sure is in a bad way, if he misses Haer :)

Imoen stuck her tongue out at him. “If I recall correctly, that wasn’t because of my playing, but your singing.”

;)

Harrian gave another smile, which hadn’t been a regular sight all day. “I will insist you had some part in it, but I concede your point.” He glanced at the others – Minsc was now listening intently, and Anomen looking at them with a slightly amused expression. Only Reynald was inattentive, focused on the sharpening of his blade. “I sound like a dying cat when I sing.”

Me too :)

Trying, yes. Succeeding, no :cry: .

“And you’d just leave Jaheira?” Imoen asked gently, knowing he was just sounding out thoughts, but guiding him along with them so they didn’t take him to too dark places.

Don't waste your time feeling guilty about that, Harrian.

One more long pause fell upon them, and all eyes slowly turned towards Reynald, who had not looked up from sharpening his sword even as he sung in a low voice, in a voice where his usually educated accent had made way for a sharper northern twang. He was showing no signs of acknowledging his sudden actions or their response to it.

There, see? Who needs Haer when you've got Reynald?

“I do not encourage mindless cheer,” Reynald replied, smirking a very little as he clambered to his feet. “But I thought the ballad fitting. Fighting, losing, and yet not quite being defeated? It is the sort of thinking I feel we should be currently encouraging.”

Nice chapter :) . Hopefully Harrian will be a bit happier by the end of the next one...

#5 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 02 November 2003 - 06:34 PM

So they had departed early that afternoon, not planning to return to Athkatla soon – they would go to the Umar Hills and then straight to where Elhan and the rest waited, to face Suldanessellar and Irenicus, hopefully in a party six-strong.

And I doubt that Harrian would want to return to that accursed city. In two chapters, Theo will leave Athkatla as well, never to return to that darned place. Too many bad memories there.

:cry: I bet they all miss that wonderful scolding now...

Reynald raised his head calmly, and the Bhaalspawn settled a little under the gaze of those cool blue eyes. “Rest, friend,” the fallen paladin said quietly. “The day shall be intensive tomorrow. Let us have a calm evening, a restful night, and a solid march on the morn.”

I don't know if it would actually be possible to sleep in these circumstances - he probably would require some sort of spell to put him to sleep. :)

“Yes, but by ‘early start’, you mean three hours after midnight,” Imoen said gently. “Rest. We all need to rest. We will have an early night, but the evening is still young.” She glanced around. “Think we’ll need to set up a watch.”

“Yes. Remember what happened last time we didn’t?” Harrian said with certainty, glowering at the remains of the fire.

Uhuh, you would not want something to go wrong now...

I do believe that being cheerful while Jaheira is still cold and dead, would have earned Haer a fist in the face. ;)

LOL! Poor guy - it's a good thing that wooing Jaheira did not involve singing syrupy serenades... :)

“It is the waiting Minsc hates most of all,” Minsc said at last, his own, usually smooth brow wearing an uncharacteristic crease. “Evil waits… evil acts… evil is about, and yet, we can do nothing. Good must triumph, but not yet. The Good rest in their cocoons, waiting to become heroic butterflies, and until then the nectar of evil flourishes without limit.”

Ah, Minsc and his awkward and weird wisdom. :)

This was also met with a silence, but a silence of a very different flavour. Then Imoen, who was giving the big ranger a rather confused look, took a deep breath. “Minsc… don’t butterflies die after a week?”

Details, details.

Harrian considered this for a moment, then slipped the knife back into his bandolier. “No. Of course not. I was just thinking of the ‘greater good’ for a moment.” He shrugged, his expression twisting into a wry smirk. “Hells. We focus too much on that. We fight, and we die, and we give for the so-called greater good. Have you ever met anyone who’s benefited from the greater good?”

Heh, quite right. What kind of satisfaction you can gain from the 'greater good' if in the process of fighting for it you lose all that you hold dear?

They shall never sound in slavery![/i]’”

That sounded like one of those Harper ballads... very poethic.

“Buy a lute and I shall play it,” the fallen paladin responded dryly, glancing up slightly. “No, I am no bard – though I suppose I could be, as I do not know what I am anymore. But I am a man who likes music.” A wry smile crossed his face. “Besides, I was afraid our fearless leader would eventually try to sing to cheer us up, and from his recent accounting of his singing abilities, I did rather want to stave that off.”

That's the cool thing about an original character (I count your Reynald as one), you can twist him and make him be able to do all sorts of things, like sing for example. :) No one else in this group strikes me as a great singer, really.

Reynald is one cool guy, I really like what you're doing with him. :)

I gather the next part will be the most eagerly anticipated one?

#6 Guest_Slide_*

Posted 02 November 2003 - 08:34 PM

Hey ho, lets go ;)

Nice chapter (but you already knew that, huh) :cry:

Yes. :) At least you've stopped poking me!

Cheers!

#7 Guest_Slide_*

Posted 02 November 2003 - 08:37 PM

loved the song

Like I said, it's one of my favourite traditional ballads. No idea where I first heard it, but it seemed fitting enough.

this fallen paladin is realy makeing a difrance

Yeah. He's settling in pretty well.

hope it doesnt take too long to get jae back this melodramatic stuff gone on long enuf lets get jea and kill the bondege mage

This is the last 'break' chapter until the finale - it's rush, rush, rush until then!

Cheers!

#8 Guest_argan_*

Posted 02 November 2003 - 08:39 PM

Hey ho, lets go ;)

Nice chapter (but you already knew that, huh) :cry:

Yes. :) At least you've stopped poking me!

Cheers!

Was it worth it to get rid of me? :)

#9 Guest_Slide_*

Posted 02 November 2003 - 08:55 PM

And frankly, given some of the stuff that Haer spouts during the game, I'm pretty glad it's not him singing :?

LOL! Oh, I don't mind his 'Endless heights' song. I preferred the stuff I wrote for him, now. Unfortunately, if I write stuff for Reynald, I can no longer have the excuse of Haer'Dalis' tendency to go for melodrama to cover my own short-comings. :)

At least they hadn't already buried her before finding the books - that would have been considerably more morbid :P

Erk! Yes. I'd just wondered how they'd cart a body across Amn... putting her in a bag of holding attached to a belt somehow seemed worse.

"Ah, yes! Time to get that bastard sword out! Have a little search through the old Bag of Holding... nope, that's the cooking equipment... a few gems... Jaheira's corpse... ah, here it is, the sword!"

I'm amazed he's acknowledging the need for sleep at all, actually :(

True. Harrian doesn't sleep through his troubles (even though, when he is asleep, nothing can wake him up). He's just being a bit more reasonable now and knows he NEEDS to sleep.

:P Aww - poor Harrian. Don't think he's going to sleep too well tonight whatever.

I think he'll get some sleep, but I doubt Imoen will need to use the traditional method of throwing a bucket of water over him in the morning to wake him up.

Aargh! Harrian sure is in a bad way, if he misses Haer :)

LOL! It WAS, really, only Anomen who disliked Haer'Dalis. Haer had helped out a bit in the early days of the J/H romance, knocked a bit of sense into Harrian, and HAD been a good source of support for Imoen. Plus... well, if everyone's depressed, a bard like him could help.

;)

Sibling banter. :)

Me too :D

And me, for that matter. Except when I'm singing on my own, for some reason. Put me in front of a karaoke machine, and I'll start warbling out my signature song at an awful pitch (Slide, by Goo Goo Dolls :))

Trying, yes. Succeeding, no :cry: .

Exactly. Pretty morbid.

Don't waste your time feeling guilty about that, Harrian.

No, he won't. He knows what to focus on.

There, see? Who needs Haer when you've got Reynald?

Well, Reynald's repertoire might end up being a bit morbid for now, but that should change. :)

Nice chapter :D . Hopefully Harrian will be a bit happier by the end of the next one...

Well... we'll see. :D

Cheers!

#10 Guest_Slide_*

Posted 02 November 2003 - 09:17 PM

And I doubt that Harrian would want to return to that accursed city. In two chapters, Theo will leave Athkatla as well, never to return to that darned place. Too many bad memories there.

No... and too many Shadow Thieves. Harrian's ultimate fate is probably somewhere up north - though how north, I don't yet know. Possibly a bit beyond Baldur's Gate.

I never got this across all that much, and even though in-game Harrian's voice would be the Male 3 (the slightly pompous one), in my head he's always spoken with quite a broad northern english accent, flat vowels and all (think a milder version of the Male 3 voice for BG1, and less moronic-sounding).

Though 'Don't want to bother you, but I COULD use some help' line is pretty Harrian-esque.

:) I bet they all miss that wonderful scolding now...

They'd love to hear it. Though, after an hour or so of it, might think her better off dead. :) ;)

I don't know if it would actually be possible to sleep in these circumstances - he probably would require some sort of spell to put him to sleep. :(

Harrian does have trouble getting to sleep during bad times. If he goes off, though, he'll slumber peacefully.

Uhuh, you would not want something to go wrong now...

Yes. Ertof Dand was quite a 'something wrong'.

I do believe that being cheerful while Jaheira is still cold and dead, would have earned Haer a fist in the face. :)

Well, yes. But raising spirits subtly... well... Haer'Dalis put the 'b' in subtle...

LOL! Poor guy - it's a good thing that wooing Jaheira did not involve singing syrupy serenades... :D

LOL! No. I could write some, though! :D

Ah, Minsc and his awkward and weird wisdom. :cry:

That one was HELL to come up with. I spent ages wondering what butterflies ate, until someone convinced me it was nectar.

Details, details.

Well, the person who convinced me it was nectar also convinced me butterflies die in a week (I'm not a biologist, damnit!). I thought that was a pretty cool continuation of the metaphor, though.

Heh, quite right. What kind of satisfaction you can gain from the 'greater good' if in the process of fighting for it you lose all that you hold dear?

It's something I ran into fairly recently - a supposed 'friend' doing something which seriously inconvenienced me for the 'common good' (not going into details, LONG story). I wondered who the hell the common good were, why I should be inconvenienced by them, and what the hell they had to do with my life.

Until I realised that in this case, the 'common good' was the former friend. Screw him. :)

That sounded like one of those Harper ballads... very poethic.

Traditional British ballad, that. Probably Irish, I think...

That's the cool thing about an original character (I count your Reynald as one), you can twist him and make him be able to do all sorts of things, like sing for example. :P No one else in this group strikes me as a great singer, really.

Well, I think I could have pulled off Imoen being, but it's more fun to have her as a hapless musician. Besides, Haer'Dalis would have pounced on that sooner.

I need my thespians in the party, mind. I see Reynald as having been very much the gentlemen knight (as opposed to Anomen, who's a bit hapless with it), very smooth, well-educated, poetic, and all that. Just has a little bit of a murderous rage... :?

Reynald is one cool guy, I really like what you're doing with him. :D

Thanks, but he's writing himself! Naught to do with me! He decided himself that he was going to be in the party after I wrote that chapter from his POV and started to love the guy... his character's there, fully formed, he's just prodding me to reveal more bit by bit. :)

I gather the next part will be the most eagerly anticipated one?

Well... Perhaps. :P

Cheers!

#11 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 03 November 2003 - 11:55 AM

I confess, the song is just one of my favourite ballads that I knew I wanted to include at some point. And Haer'Dalis is gone... but what rule is there that only bards can be musical? :D

Onyx: Hear hear! *plays 'Mary had a little lamb' on the piano* Ta-da!

Haer: *sits down next to him, Mozart flows*

Onyx: Nuts. I'm still the prettiest!

awwwwww

I like campfire scenes, and looking at each character.

Onyx: The Arrow.

oooh, that's a very good point....it's so true

“I can!” Imoen piped up.

:) Yay!

I always pegged her as artsy too. I think after BG1, Garrick's going to get her to play herself in 'The Brothers Bhaalspawn'. He'll play Onyx, with Eldoth as Sarevok and Skie as Jade, & their understudies as themselves That's part of why I had Onyx and Garrick note the basic similar of their appearances when they first met. Then again, maybe Garrick will play himself and rewrite himself as the lead character. :D

Harrian gave a brief bark of laughter, then shook his head as she looked at him challengingly. “No, no… nothing…” he assured her, chuckling. “I can just easily remember the few times we thought we would try to regale the common room of Candlekeep inn with a few verses of song. Winthrop banned us from trying ever again unless there was a brawl and he wanted to clear the tavern!”

lol

lol

The two siblings exploded into nostalgic giggles, laughing the laugh of those who desperately need to smile, desperately need some light, desperately need an escape from the darkness. It was also the laugh which is followed by a long, painful, acute silence.

Ah, very nice! He really can be poetic !

ooooooooo

(Slide, you're EVIL... :))

Onyx: Ahhhhhhh.....but that is so common a mistake - when everyone benefits, people ignore that anyone benefits. And oft we don't directly do good things, we prevent the villains from doing bad things.

“Yeah. Let’s live for ourselves for a bit. We’ve earned it,” Imoen sighed, leaning back against the log she and Anomen were propped up against. Harrian didn’t miss her shifting a little closer to the cleric as she did so, and felt a brief pang. But no. He had to hope.

oh ho ho

“We could buy a lute,” the pink-haired mage continued, chewing on her lower lip. “And hire a travelling minstrel to run around behind us as we travel.”

LOL

“No. He’ll probably just compose another bloody song about me,” Harrian groaned, pinching the bridge of his nose.

The minstrel boy to the war has gone,
In the ranks of death you'll find him.
His father's sword he hath girded on,
And his wild harp slung behind him.

’Land of Song!’ cried the warrior bard,
’Tho' all the world betrays thee,
One sword, at least, thy rights shall guard,
One faithful harp shall praise thee!’
The minstrel fell, but the foeman's chain
Could not bring that proud soul under.
The harp he loved ne'er spoke again,
For he tore it's chords asunder.

They shall never sound in slavery!
’”

SWEET!

And the lyrics were nice (esp. the last stanza). Kudos to both you and Rey.

lol

“Where’d you learn that?” Imoen asked, similarly thunderstruck. “I only ever heard it in that tavern up at Ulgoth’s Beard. Never this far south.”

“You forget, we knights… we wander.” Reynald slowly stopped sharpening his sword, and sheathed it smoothly before glancing at Harrian. “And now you are calm, your minds empty, this might be a good time to get that slumber our fearless leader spoke so often of.”

Harrian nodded slowly, his brow furrowed. “Why that song?” he asked at last, even as he gestured to the others and stood up himself. “It’s not the most cheerful of ditties I’ve ever heard.”

:mrgreen:

Also funny because it was about a bard fighting; and the warrior was singing. Very clever.

#12 Guest_Yazston_*

Posted 03 November 2003 - 04:04 PM

Intensive study of the volumes the scholar Rendval had uncovered revealed that a possible way to resurrect the only partially-vampirised Jaheira required taking the heart of the vampire that had bitten her and using an altar of the god Amaunator.

Yay! Go Rendval! Go Rendval! *dances the Halfling-jig* :D

Unfortunately, Amaunator was a deceased God –

If he's a dead god.. then how can he raise dead people? Doesn't the altar need his powers to work, or something?

they would go to the Umar Hills and then straight to where Elhan and the rest waited, to face Suldanessellar and Irenicus, hopefully in a party six-strong.

Yippee! Can't wait! :D Irenicus, here we come.. to kill ya! Muhahahahhaa!! *cough*

Minsc tended calmly to Boo;

As always! :D

But I cannot help but feel that Boo is not a normal hamster. There certainly is something more to him! :)

Behind them, further towards the trees, was the small, light cart they had bought, upon which rested Jaheira’s body.

:shock: That must be quite awful for Harrian..

Yes, and you'll be so exhausted that Irenicus will slay you all very easily.

Though his morbid disposition had been alleviated with Imoen’s news, a depression had made way for absolutely frayed nerves, mood-swings, and an intensive drive to move as quickly as possible. He had laughed, he had thanked the Gods, he had hugged them all when he’d heard the news, but as the party hurried to get ready to depart, a dark mood had come along, and he had snapped at them repeatedly to speed up.

Well, that's normal.. I think. You've just lost your beloved one.

And 'morbid' - you use the word quite a lot.. :mrgreen:

“A hero’s life is rarely calm. Always administering the boot to evil’s buttocks does not allow much rest. But when rest is available… Minsc and Boo like to make the most of it. It leaves my mind so much more at ease when battle comes,”

I remember that you said that Minsc doesn't come easily to you.. well, as much as I know him (and I don't know him very much, heh!).. he rarely says words like 'I' or 'my'. He uses his name, right? (I don't want to be mean, you know that, right? Just want to help you.. :mrgreen: )

What happened the last time they didn't? :(

Liked the describtion a lot.. :)

“I can!” Imoen piped up.

lol Oh, sure you do! :D

“I sound like a dying cat when I sing.”

LOLOL!! :P

“Sounded fine to me!”

:P Oh, I can easily imagine that.. Harrian trying to duck the bottles, while Imoen continues to play her flute, not noticing the objects thrown at them.

'Tis good they laugh!

No, no! Don't think about dying.. dieing? Whaaat?

Thought so too! *sigh* :D

“Minsc has a point, though,” Harrian mused. “So we’re more effective when we do go and fight… erm, nectar.”

lol Yep, fighting nectar.. 8)

Imoen asked gently, knowing he was just sounding out thoughts, but guiding him along with them so they didn’t take him to too dark places.

Glad that Imoen's there.. What would Harrian do without her?

Harrian didn’t miss her shifting a little closer to the cleric as she did so, and felt a brief pang.

Aww.. poor Har.. :(

But, yay! You're doing it! Immy and Ano... Ahhh... :)

:D That'd be great! I'm sure!

Me neither! :P Wow! :)

“Besides, I was afraid our fearless leader would eventually try to sing to cheer us up, and from his recent accounting of his singing abilities, I did rather want to stave that off.”

Ouch! :P

Another Great Episode! Can't wait to see what happens next. And I liked the song! :D

#13 Guest_Slide_*

Posted 03 November 2003 - 05:08 PM

Onyx: Hear hear! *plays 'Mary had a little lamb' on the piano* Ta-da!

Haer: *sits down next to him, Mozart flows*
Onyx: Nuts. I'm still the prettiest!

Ugh. Like me trying to learn how to play the guitar next to friends who could give Hendrix a run for his money. 8) Dispiriting!

awwwwww

I like campfire scenes, and looking at each character.

Yeah, me too. It can come across as a bit unwieldy, but it's good for an overall picture of the party.

Onyx: The Arrow.

Harrian: Well, I sort of avoided the arrow by doing a bit of boot-licking until they were all fairly distracted... and then I happened to go and slaughter them mercilessly. Which wasn't very cheerful.

oooh, that's a very good point....it's so true

Haer'Dalis, at least, kept them occupied. And he really only drove Anomen (and sort of Edwin) up the wall.

:P Yay!

Yes, but don't ask her how well. :D

I always pegged her as artsy too. I think after BG1, Garrick's going to get her to play herself in 'The Brothers Bhaalspawn'. He'll play Onyx, with Eldoth as Sarevok and Skie as Jade, & their understudies as themselves That's part of why I had Onyx and Garrick note the basic similar of their appearances when they first met. Then again, maybe Garrick will play himself and rewrite himself as the lead character. :P

My Imoen can't play the lute very well, but I think that's lack of trying rather than lack of talent. I do see her as the most likely of the NPCs in the party to be able to sing. Heh, maybe she and Reynald could do some sort of duet towards the end of ToB!! :mrgreen:

lol

It was probably actually both. :P

lol

Unappreciated in their own time!!

Ah, very nice! He really can be poetic !

Well, as you see, I can sometimes to Minsc. I just need to sit down for freakin' hours and think up a scene. Then work out what butterflies eat!

ooooooooo

(Slide, you're EVIL... :mrgreen:)

That, I promise, was purely coincidental. Someone I asked about butterfly food popped up and said that they die in a week, which I thought was pretty cool. Of course, it was quite hard to explain to said person why it would make a useful metaphor. :D

Onyx: Ahhhhhhh.....but that is so common a mistake - when everyone benefits, people ignore that anyone benefits. And oft we don't directly do good things, we prevent the villains from doing bad things.

Oh, it helps people. Harrian's just right now sulking and wondering why the hell he suffers and gives for people he's never going to meet. Harrian's enough of a good guy to do it (though not unquestioningly, forever) but 'normal' enough to question why the heck he puts himself through it regularly.

oh ho ho

Progress. And more on THOSE TWO later. :shock:

LOL

You can just see that, can't you? Like a portable hi-fi. :D

SWEET!

And the lyrics were nice (esp. the last stanza). Kudos to both you and Rey.

Oooh, no, kudos to Reynald and Thomas Moore. It is Irish, after all, which is what I'd guessed. Traditional song, that. I can't write like THAT. My own work may pop up in ToB once I get into Reynald more, but so far my only composition has been Haer'Dalis' ballad (both parts).

lol

Drunken Harrian singing. Scary.

Also funny because it was about a bard fighting; and the warrior was singing. Very clever.

And I had a bet with myself that I could include the song by the end of the fic. Courtesy of Reynald. :)

Cheers!

#14 Guest_Slide_*

Posted 03 November 2003 - 05:39 PM

Yay! Go Rendval! Go Rendval! *dances the Halfling-jig* :)

Useful, these scholars of the Order, no?

If he's a dead god.. then how can he raise dead people? Doesn't the altar need his powers to work, or something?

...ask Bioware. :P

Yippee! Can't wait! :D Irenicus, here we come.. to kill ya! Muhahahahhaa!! *cough*

Oh yes. Jonny's gonna be sorry...

As always! :D

It's all he seems to do. :(

But I cannot help but feel that Boo is not a normal hamster. There certainly is something more to him! :)

Oh yes. The fate of Boo shall be determined.

:P That must be quite awful for Harrian..

Well, I'm sure they have a cloth covering it. :mrgreen: But... yes.

Yes, and you'll be so exhausted that Irenicus will slay you all very easily.

True. If resurrection doesn't work, Harrian won't sleep. If resurrection DOES work... Harrian won't sleep. :mrgreen:

Well, that's normal.. I think. You've just lost your beloved one.

Yeah. He's not feeling kindly.

And 'morbid' - you use the word quite a lot.. :D

Ugh. Okay, I'll watch out for it. Good word, though! :( Cheers.

I remember that you said that Minsc doesn't come easily to you.. well, as much as I know him (and I don't know him very much, heh!).. he rarely says words like 'I' or 'my'. He uses his name, right? (I don't want to be mean, you know that, right? Just want to help you.. 8) )

I did take a look at this - Minsc usually refers to himself in the third person, but he does every so often use 'I' or 'my'. There seems to be no rule to his speaking.

But yes, I shall be the first to admit that Minsc is not my forte. Thanks. :D

What happened the last time they didn't? :?

Ertof Dand and his band of bandits. Whom Harrian slaughtered messily, which was quite traumatising for them all.

Liked the describtion a lot.. :)

Cheers. Don't underestmate the bards!

lol Oh, sure you do! :D

She DOES... the more apt question might be 'Can anyone play the lute WELL?'

LOLOL!! :D

He inherited that off me. :D

:D Oh, I can easily imagine that.. Harrian trying to duck the bottles, while Imoen continues to play her flute, not noticing the objects thrown at them.

LOL! Oh, I just got an image of them playing at a gig then... oh, Candlekeep rock band - that HAS to be done at some point... (Harrian lead vocals, Imoen lead guitar, hmm... Anomen bass guitar, Minsc drums?) :shock:

Now THERE'S a plot bunny...

'Tis good they laugh!

Yeah. Just when the laughing ends, it's remembered painfully that there's little to be happy about.

No, no! Don't think about dying.. dieing? Whaaat?

No more death!!

Well... maybe. :D

Thought so too! *sigh* :)

Yes. Dying butterflies aren't cheerful!

lol Yep, fighting nectar.. :)

Does anyone actually know if I'm right about butterflies eating nectar? :D

Glad that Imoen's there.. What would Harrian do without her?

Be in a very bad way. Especially as it would now be Anomen in the role of closest companion. When Anomen's the one who you have to share the burden of your emotional traumas, you know it's bad (sorry Immy!). :P

Aww.. poor Har.. :(

Yeah. Always a pain to see other happy buggers when you're sulking.

But, yay! You're doing it! Immy and Ano... Ahhh... :)

Oh yes. It's been a long time in development, and still has development to go, but yes. :P

:) That'd be great! I'm sure!

I'm half-tempted to do it. But no, they have Reynald.

Me neither! :) Wow! :)

He's so vague a character in the game that I can do anything I like with him. :P

Ouch! :P

Harrian singing... would not be good.

Another Great Episode! Can't wait to see what happens next. And I liked the song! :D

Cheers! It's one of my favourite traditional ballads. ;)

Next... is fun!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com