Photo

City of Glaradia: Brawl for All (with Justin Thyme)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Arcalian

Posted 28 October 2003 - 02:09 AM

Once they got four or five blocks away from the tavern, Freyus began removing his disguise, almost poking himself in the eye with his fake hook in the process.

"Anyway," he said to Cort, "Since you knew this Karan, perhaps we can run a scam on him?"

"You're always running a scam. What do you have in mind?"

"Well," said Freyus, "We could lure Valura to a place of our choosing, and set her up to be captured by the guys, then rescue her and collect the money later."

Cort stopped and stared at him, then chuckled. "Freyus, you are as devious as you are audacious."

"Would the man know you by sight? Or reputation?"

"The latter's possible, but not the first. We were all just grunts to him, and I wasn't even under his direct command, thankfully. But he's quite possibly heard of me since. From when I was with the river pirates, or what I've done here. That business with Theros wasn't exactly quiet."

"True. So I should make contact in one of my innumerable disguises."

"Just ditch the Dread Pirate Roberts gag, heh?"

"Arrrrr matey, ye can be sure of that!" Freyus winked, and removed the last of his disguise. "Who's the Dread Pirate Roberts?"

"No one of consequence...." At that point, they were interrupted.

They were waylaid by five young toughs, nasty, arrogant thieves who bothered announcing themselves as the Serpent's Blade. "We take a toll in this part of town! So hurry up and--"

Cort interrupted him with an elbow to the chin. "My name is Cort, and he's Freyus, and we take crud from no one....."

"....on prinicple!" Freyus chorused with him. They closed in with the toughs. The leader, still recovering from Cort's elbow strike, next caught a mailed fist in the face, giving Cort room to unsheath his sword.

Freyus slammed an axe blade into another thug's chest, reaching out with his other hand, muttering an incantation. His hand burst into magical fire, and he slapped the face of the third thug, setting him on fire. That one screamed and began to run away, slapping at his burning face.

Cort was in a furious sword duel with the leader and the fourth thug; his sword against the leader's spiked club and the other's short sword.

The last thug started hurling poisoned throwing daggers at Freyus, but that worthy ducked, and replied with his one of his own throwing axes. His aim was much better, and the axe caught the thug between the eyes.

Cort used a textbook disarm move on the leader, sending his spiked club flying. As his sword slammed through the man's ribs, he kicked out with his right foot, connecting with the fourth thug's head.

That one was down but not out, until Cort stood over him and slammed his sword down.

"All in a day's work," said Freyus a little too cheerfully. Then they heard the footsteps of the city watch; the survivor had alerted the guards. Cort and Freyus ducked into an alley, and began climbing via window sills and loose bricks, until they reached the roof.

"I hate doing that in full armor," Cort puffed. They went over five blocks, and caught a horse drawn carriage for the Timmerian side of the river.

Forty five minutes later, after dropping Freyus at yet another gambling hall, Cort returned to the Mongoose to make his report.

Cort was of half a mind to expose the scheme to the Mongoose, but Freyus was his partner, and he didn't want to know what the Mongoose would do to him.

"So what is going on?" Mongoose asked calmly.

Cort explained that the Rekantium Death Squads were chasing Valura.

"Unfortunate, but I don't want to get involved with any personal feuds. She brought this on herself; but it's also quiet possible she can fight her way out of this. She's survived such challenges before."

"As you say. You have no missions for us at this time?"

Mongoose shook his head. "Keep a low profile, I'll have something for you soon."

Continued....

With thanks to No One of Consequence, if you're still out there.
The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com