LoRtR Pt1Ch1 - A Price for Glory

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CHuK'chSS'raGKH_*

Posted 27 September 2003 - 11:50 PM

Hey, guys. Posting chapter 1 of the story. Hope you guys like it. :shock:

Enjoy, and have a good day.

-Introduction 1 - The party, led by Kellrill "Kelli" Silverylight suffered a great loss after Hargoth's death in Neverwinter, leaving behind his party, his daughter, and his student. The party remorse over his loss, and is called upon by the Amnian government.
Chapter One-A New Beginning

A Price for Glory

Adventure is not something you can just do. You must have the heart, the strength from within.

Would you be ready to face the challenge? No one is. Not even I. It is surprising to me, and a bit funny, that every journey I have been through, there's at least one surprise, that one thing that's not expected.

Will you be able to continue? When plans fail, you must make other backup plans. You go in with multiple plans, not just one. If your plan does fail, and you don't have another, it's likely you won't last long if you continue.

Will you take the risk? In times of war, or even small battles, risks are always needed to be taken. Sometimes, your most dear friends will be sacrificed to save the rest of your group.

Can you take the loss? Is the pain really worth it? You can lose an arm or a leg. Your companions may fall, even dear friends whom you have known for an eternity. It seems to me that people are more comforted with death if it is a sickness, something natural, rather then a blade or as such.

Was it worth the risk? For some, it is not. You will take losses whether in victory or defeat. Life will go on, either way. Every step usually leads you into cold, remorseless killer.

I say, I was among the lucky ones, and I mean it. When I first went into adventuring, I had no clue what awaited me...and that is why I enjoy adventuring so much. So naïve of what awaited me then...and I still am.

Kellrill Silverylight

With haste, Kelli led the group towards the capital city of Athkatla. A party of four rangers, one sorceress, and a mage rode fast and hard in their spearhead shape formation of five horses.

Kelli Silverylight, at the head of the group, was the current party leader and decided upon the votes of her party. She was chosen as the party leader due to her experiences, leadership, intelligence, wisdom, and moral. She wore leather armor with a few fancy patterns. A longsword hung at the side of her saddle, a dagger at her waist with a throwing knife on her right boot as backup, and Rah'trah, her famous longbow, with arrows strapped on her back. Her rarely seen golden circlet of small leaf-like ornaments circled around her brown hair that flowed down to her waist.

Darahd Tevihn was taking care of the left flank right behind Kelli. He was a mage of some power and was Relsi's teacher in alchemy and scribing after Enda Trenth's death. He also taught Kelli a few spells. He was several years older than Kelli, and was just as close to death as Hargoth before the trip to Neverwinter. His gray beard showed his wisdom and experience. He scratched his chin through his ancient 'silver' beard.

Eril Fal, at Kelli's back right, was a skilled swordsman - a great master with blades and an honorable man of many rules of justice and ethics. It wouldn't be surprising if he was mistaken for a paladin. When spoken of, his skill with swords were never overestimated. Two swords hung at his waist, and a crossbow on his back. He wore his scale mail tightly, and kept watch over his companions' safety.

Geric Elar, at Kelli's back left, was a third eye and ear for Kelli. He wore a black cloak to cover himself, his studded leather armor, a shortsword, and shurikens lined up along the insides of his cloak. Beneath his hood, his black hair blew through the wind, a scar on his cheek, and his mysterious brown eyes peered out.

Relsi Trenth, hanging onto Eril's waist, was the daughter of her companions' friend, Hargoth Trenth, who recently died in Neverwinter. She wore simple clothing, even though he had, and did not share the same skills as her companions. Instead, she found a certain innate skill - sorcery. She carried no such weapons other then a blunt dagger, barely able to cut through anything. On occasion she takes the risk of falling by brushing her red, curly hair and rubbed her blue eyes, trying to look her best.

Robert Chu, who trailed behind Darahd, was the student of Hargoth Trenth who recently accompanied him to Neverwinter. He wore studded leather armor due to the lack of any other armor he had. He had black hair and brown eyes, and could be described as a chubby man. A longsword and a katana were strapped on his back, as well as a longbow. He seemed to be lacking his ring which he claimed he had left to a friend in Neverwinter. Robert was a gambler when it came to weapons, as it was dangerous to wield two long weapons at once with his ambidextrous hands.

Suddenly, the party leader sensed danger was near and drew her bow, and was ready to warn her companions...but by the time she was about to warn them, an arrow struck Darahd. The mage dropped from his horse, and Kelli soon after to aid Darahd. The rest of the party quickly dismounted and drew whatever ranged weapons that had.

Geric was able to pull out a few shurikens and throw them deep into the forest, and several screams of pain followed soon after.

Kelli quickly fitted an arrow on her bow and released the bowstring. It hit its mark soon followed by yet another scream of an attacker's death. By the time Kelli had released the arrow, three more took their place within a second.

Enemies began moving from their hiding places amongst the trees, figuring it would make little difference. One of them was unfortunate enough to come right in front of Eril's bolt, and sent the man back a couple of feet. Eril drew two blades quickly and slashed at the next attacker.

Robert's frosty blade found it's way into the heart of his victim, who had survived Robert's arrow fire. The young ranger drew out his katana and hacked at another foe.

Relsi concentrated her mind, wandering through it searching for an appropriate spell. A man suddenly appeared in front of her and was ready to swing his club at her. Shocked, Relsi extended her arms to protect her face, and without thinking, her hands glowed bright with fire and burned the man to the ground.

Too close for ranged attacks, Kelli shot her last arrow this battle on her bowstring, and drew her longsword. Kelli attacked carefully, trying not to hit Relsi who was quickly running behind her for protection. Kelli parried every attack her current opponent made, but did not have enough time to make an attack herself. Blue magic appeared behind her and went into the man she faced, who fell quickly to the magic she identified as a magic missile spell.

Darahd stood up and drew his dagger, ready to go into melee. To his eye, he caught a surprise: a young boy accompanying the attackers. He was a small blonde boy who was around the age of thirteen.

Why would a child be accompanying bandits? he thought. Darahd fought his way to face the child.

"Boy!" he yelled. "Run! Get out of here before you get hurt!"

The boy turned his head and looked at Darahd with dark angry eyes.

"Go! Run!"

Indeed, the boy did run, but not in the direction Darahd had wanted. The boy drew a dagger from his belt and ran towards Darahd, meaning to kill him...as Darahd had predicted...

Eril and Robert moved fast to disable their enemies and making random attacks. Their enemies were obviously trained enough to see patterns in attacks, so Eril and Robert tried to make it hard for them while they thought of a plan...separately.

Kelli plunged her sword into another attacker and still found no time to pick up her bow and fire arrows before being overran. She kept up with her attacks and watched Relsi carefully, making sure she was not harmed.

One bandit raised a dagger at Relsi's back. The bandit turned around, feeling someone tapping on his back. He saw a shady figure and felt a sharp pain in his chest, and he fell on Relsi, who screamed wildly and ran away. The bandit looked up before he died and saw that the shady figure was gone.

"Fall back!" one of the bandits ordered. The attackers began running away fast and Kelli picked up her bow and began firing rapidly at the legs of their attackers. Eril and Robert did so, as well, but hit nothing. Kelli managed to hit two men before giving up. One of them was stunned for a second, but continued running while the second just fell.

Kelli signaled to her companions to group up and she ran to the fallen man. She pulled the man up by the collar. The man was dazed.

"Why have you attacked us?" she asked calmly. "Were we a threat to you?"

"You pass into our borders," the man simply replied.

"Borders? What borders?"

"The bandits of the Blood Knives."

"I have never heard of such a group, and I would care less for your borders if I did. Do you know who you face now?"

The man smiled. "A half-elven wench who is foolish enough to enter our domains."

"Has the name 'Kellrill Silverylight' ever passed your ear before? Or would 'Silver' be better?"

"As I said: a half-elven wench who is foolish enough to enter our domain." Kelli knew the man had heard the rare tales of her adventures. It was obvious...or to her, at least.

"Are all of you the same?" Kelli asked. "Scum?"

"Scum?!" the man yelled angrily and was about to jump up until Kelli's knife appeared in front of his throat and he slowly moved back.

"Please answer the question I will ask you," Kelli said. "Or I will make sure your new mouth will."

"Ha! An empty threat. Someone like you, Kellrill, would never kill without reason."

Kelli smiled. "True. But now that I think of it, I'll do something else. Eril!" Kelli knew that Eril was the strongest one in the group and he could easily restrain the bandit. Besides, she had trust in him...along with some personal feelings she would desist from discussing.

"Yes, Kelli?" the swordsman, Eril, asked walking up.

"Do you think you can hold this man's arm?" Kelli asked. "And keep his hand opened at the same time?"

"Yes. Of course," Eril assured.

"Good. Do it."

Eril did as obeyed, and held the man's arm tightly restricting movement.

"What are you doing?" the bandit asked as he watched Kelli's dagger land near his thumb.

"Have you ever heard of the game where you stab in between your fingers? It's a rather simple, but dangerous and hard. I've been able to succeed in this game, even with my eyes closed. But how do you think I'll fare with your hand with my eyes closed? It's a bit different from this angle..."

"Okay, I understand what you mean!" the bandit said, desperate not to loose any of his fingers...or his hand. "What do you want...?"

"Answers...and I'll give you your hand in return..."

Relsi sat on the stone next to Darahd, and looked down on him. Tears were coming down her face. "Oh, Darahd. Don't die, just don't die. You-you were always like a father to me. Don't leave. I can't take another death."

"Relsi, you foolish little girl," Darahd replied, smiling. "I could never be a father to you. Hargoth filled that place too well. I can't help but fall to death, after feeling so much pain, so much sorrow. Kellrill will watch after you, now. I will tell Hargoth you are looking well. Emyline! I see her! Sweet...Emyl -" Darahd took his last breath, and his head rolled to the side. Relsi kissed the old man's hand, and turned away.

"Did you see his face when I told him about playing that dagger game thing?" Kelli asked Eril as they both walked to Relsi's position. "He was like...you know. So shocked and stuff. I'll have to have Darahd cast a charm spell -" Kelli stopped when she saw Darahd's body. "Gods...not another friend." Kelli knelt over his body. "You got what you were waiting for. But so soon after Hargoth? I pray that you are reunited with Emyline." She looked at Eril. "Then we will have to make our trip to Berogost earlier. His son will want Darahd buried near Emyline."

Eril nodded, and searched for Robert, who was kneeling near a cluster of bodies. "Robert, you don't look too good."

Robert looked up. "I worry myself, sometimes. When I was a child, I always thought about peace, about beauty. I was a skilled painter for a child of seven years. And I constantly thought about peace and beauty - until I realized that there was no such thing when my parents were killed. Don't look at me like that, I'll be alright. I have been alright all these years. I am just wondering how far from my former dream have I gone?"

"I wish I knew," Eril replied. "I have something to say, and I fear you won't like it -"

"Darahd is dead? Yes, I know...I will pay my respects when I am ready to."

"Guys! We need to get our gear together and head out," Kelli called then. "Come on, Relsi. We have to go. We'll take Darahd's body to Berogost for a proper burial..."

"Halt, citizen!" the guard captain ordered. "What business do you have here?"

"Citizen? You insult us..."

"Please. I must apologize for my friend here," Eril said glaring at Geric. "But we are not citizens as such."

The half elf stepped forward. "I am Kellrill Silverylight, often known as Kelli Silver. I am here to speak with Chief Inspector Bylanna Lanulin, if she is available. I am under contract with her."

"Yes. She has told me she was expecting you...but you are a bit late."

"We were held back by...some friends that we hope never to see again."

"Friends?" Robert chuckled. "I'd hate to think about our enemies, then."

"You may enter," the guard captain said. "But your party may not."

"Eril, you're in charge."

"Don't worry, Kelli," Eril said. "We'll refrain ourselves from getting into trouble."

"Thanks," Kelli smiled walking through the large door. Kelli looked at the large room. It hasn't been the first time she's been in there, but she was still awed by its architecture. White marble walls and supports with beautiful details that surrounded various objects, mostly tables. Kelli walked to the woman who was looking at a beautiful small vase, facing away from her.

"Bylanna Lanulin?" Kelli announced the name. The woman quickly turned to face her with a face of shock.

"Kellrill Silverylight," the woman replied, relaxing. "I can still remember the first time you did that, when...never mind..."

"My apologies," Kelli said. "It seems to be second instinct for me. Even when I'm not thinking about it, my feet continues to move as silently as possible."

"It is good to see you again," Bylanna Lanulin said, shaking Kelli's hand. "Ever since Farthain Remas' trial, I was worried about you...possibly trying to break into jail just to kill him."

"Not to worry," Kelli assured. "I did indeed go to prison, though, to drop off another prisoner...I have gotten...use to Farthain, and I think little of him...but the memories still haunt me how a man like him...no. I cannot talk about it now. I will let the past remain the past. What is the problem? Why did you have me summoned here?"

"I doubt you know much about it. There has been a number of bandits wandering around trying to block access to Nashkel. We have sent a number of soldiers and mercenaries to find these bandits, but they elude us. Every camp we have found holds none of the bandits. And those that did, they were dead. For weeks, they have attacked caravans and travelers alike, even if they know the caravans and travelers have nothing of value."

"What is the mission at hand?"

"I need you to end this threat. If we cannot get the iron we need, we will not be able to defend ourselves if we are attacked. I want you to take whatever measures necessary to end this threat."

"I understand. I have also noticed that there were...children within their ranks. Do you have any explanation?"

"I...can't explain this - this is new information. I'll let you know after you complete your mission."

"Where is their camp?"

"My guess would be about a hundred miles east northeast."

"Do they have a leader? It would help, and most likely, weaken or stop them."

"I have heard that there is a Relkan Gerahd leading them. But he is taking orders from elsewhere."

"Then he is my primary target, for now," Kelli said. If she could get to this Relkan, she may be able to get information about who he's taking orders from, and possibly destroy a network of organized crime. "Goodbye. I shall return within the tenday." Kelli marched out.

"I have heard the name Relkan Gerahd before," Geric said. "Through many whispers and gossips. He is a bandit, last I heard he was leader of the bloody knuckles. He tends to move his camp whenever he believes it has been located."

"Well, that would make it harder, wouldn't it?" Kelli asked. "Then we'll go quickly and silently. We'll be on them before they can get their bearing."

"I don't think everyone is gifted with your nimbleness," Robert said, looking at Eril. "With our luck, they'll be running way before we're within a mile of them." Eril grunted.

"What about Darahd? Shouldn't we go to Berogost to bury him?" Relsi asked.

"I wish we could, now," Kelli replied. "But I think it would be best if we prevent anybody else getting buried. That is our first priority, and I am sure that Darahd would agree if he were here. I'm sorry, Relsi, but we'll go after we're done with out duties."

"I understand."

Kelli knew Relsi's feelings for Darahd - the same way Robert felt for Hargoth. They were father figures, only Darahd didn't like it too much when he looked at Relsi. He knew Hargoth was Relsi's father, and knew that she should turn to him if she's in trouble - not him. The responsibility of taking care of Relsi and Robert fell on her shoulders, now. Kelli put her hand over Relsi's shoulder.

Darahd was a good friend, and was older and wiser than Hargoth. Darahd was expecting death to come sooner than Hargoth. Now both were dead and a few months apart. Kelli knew them well, and knew that they would be depending on her, now, to take the responsibility. If ever either one of them died, she'd have to take care of the party. She promised to lead the 'young folk' through the harsh road...but now, she didn't know how to do it. She had no one to turn to but herself - no one with as many experiences as herself.

She couldn't talk about the good old days. Robert was the only one who knew anything, and very little, even on the trips he joined them on. He was too young at the time and may have tried forgetting...maybe he was successful? And there was Relsi, who knew nothing of the old days, who knew nothing about what happened then...and Kelli couldn't speak to her about the old days. It would go against a promise she had made with Enda Trenth.

It was after that that Hargoth grew away from Relsi, seeing Enda in her...and, most of all, seeing himself. Relsi was abandoned for Darahd and Kelli to take care of, and now Darahd was dead - both Relsi and Robert looked up to her now. Relsi missed her mother, Darahd, and her father, even if she didn't know it. "We'll go to Berogost as soon as we can. I promise."

"I get the feeling we'll be getting something worse then those guards," Geric said, who climbed up the tree with more difficulty then Kelli.

"Why? Too easy?" Kelli asked, patting his back after pulling him up.

Geric looked at Kelli and took off his hood, revealing his scared face and black hair. "Let's just say I've had this experience before. There's always someone that's harder to beat."

Kelli smiled and nodded. "Yes. I know what you mean. I've been doing this longer than you have, believe me."

"Hrm..."

The party had decided to separate into two separate groups. Group one was formed out of the two most stealthiest people, Kelli and Geric, who was going ahead to take out any guards. The others were suppose to take a longer way, but also with less obstacles. The risk was high, but they figured it would work. So far, group one has taken down four guards.

"The camp is there," Geric pointed out.

"I see," Kelli acknowledged.

The camp was set up with tents, all of which had different designs on them, surrounding a bigger tent. No doubt the bigger one was the for Relkan Gerahd...but perhaps that is what he wanted them to think.

"Your expertise?"

"I would say our friend, Relkan, would be in that tent," Geric said, pointing to the third tent closest to the bigger one. "It's more his style."

"Then we wait for him to show..."

"There are too many bushes!" Relsi whined. "I doubt that we can keep quiet."

"I agree," Eril said. "Considering you're making all that noise..."

"Quiet!" Robert warned. "I will not be happy when we get caught and taken prisoner, so just be quiet. Do you think it will be pleasant?"

Eril thought to argue with Robert, but saw no point and would only risk the attention of guards nearby. "Where's Kelli's signal?"

"I don't think it will be for a while," Robert said. "I believe we should pick the guards one at a time, though. It will make it easier for us."

"Heh. With my crossbow?" Eril joked. "I need something else for such snipping..."

Suddenly, a few throwing knives appeared in his hand. "There you go," Robert grinned.

Kelli could see the bandits running around, trying to figure what is wrong. Kelli, herself, was also trying to figure it out, but was less concerned. Her target was Relkan and anyone who got in her way.

"Where could Relkan be?" she asked herself, only to find her spy to answer for her.

"He's among those men, I just know it," he replied. Suddenly, he pointed. "There."

Kelli pulled back the bowstring, fitting two arrows into it, and released it. The two arrows sprang through the tree and penetrated the man's leg, stunning him as he fell yelling in pain. Kelli raised her hand as Geric held her waist, making sure she did not fall. A few chanting words fell from her mouth, and a magical flare exploded in midair.

Geric found the surikens in his cloak and began launching them in the middle of a mass of bandits.

It showed. The signal showed and Eril's group emerged from their spots into the camp. Eril and Robert were up front, and Relsi trailed behind them as if the two rangers were shields. Relsi quickly casted a few defensive spells to protect herself and the two rangers leading her into the camp.

Chaos spread through the camp. Dozens of bandits caught by surprised were running around the camp, trying to find their attackers or running from them. Geric suddenly leaped from a nearby tree, and Kelli soon afterwards.

Kelli and Relsi began casting spells. Geric kept on with his surikens, Eril began cranking his crossbow, and Robert fitted arrows on his longbow. The camp was soon cleared of any hostility, and any that remained either surrendered, got wounded, or died. Geric walked to the man who Kelli shot first, while Kelli looked around the camp with a grim face.

"This is not him," Geric sighed at his mistake. Kelli turned her head to look at the rogue.

"Then where could he be?" Eril asked.

Geric hesitated. "There," he pointed to a body. The body was filled with arrows that were not of the rangers.

"Why would the bandits kill their own leader?" Relsi asked, confused.

"Because they didn't," Geric quickly replied, predicting the question. "The arrows are not that of the bandits - these arrows here were made to pierce armor or to be reused battle after battle. That of the bandits were to cause injuries."

"Then who did?" Relsi asked. Geric looked at Relsi in the eye and gave no answer.

Robert looked at a boy who was barely in his teenage years, and Kelli predicted who he was thinking about as he watched. Robert turned to her. "What about the kid? He shouldn't be living on the streets like some punk trusting no one."

Kelli had an idea what he was thinking and feeling, even if he didn't know what he was feeling entirely. Pity, and self pity. Kelli looked eye-to-eye at Robert. "Who knows? Maybe if he's on the streets, it will bring out the best in him."

"No. No, definitely no. Just gonna make him some street punk or something. No. We can't do that to this kid."

Kelli put her hand on Robert's shoulder. "Don't concern yourself with them. We'll let the Amnian government handle them. Now, we report back to the government and then we go to Berogost." Kelli looked at Relsi...

After bringing news to Chief Inspector Lanulin of the mission she just completed, Kelli and her party were given another mission that would bring the party south for trade negotiations. The left to Berogost to say goodbye to a dear friend before heading off...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com