Rush Of Blood To The Head, part 5.13.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 31 August 2003 - 05:14 PM

Ok, this one has our favorite Red Wizard playing a larger part in it… hope you like it. And worry not – he will have his revenge… :wink: I am talking about Edwin-Theo chess game, of course… :wink:

Rush Of Blood To The Head, part 5.13.

We reach our designed meeting place in due time only to see that our two superiors are involved in a shouting match and from how they both act, it does not seem to be a simple lovers quarrel. Amidst Solaufein’s jabs, Phaere explains that we are to kill a beholder who is involved in the smuggling of adamantine, which does sound rather odd. Nonetheless, we know how to tackle a beholder and are well prepared to do so again.

Phaere leads us to the place where the beholder is supposed to appear at some stage to probably conduct his smuggling activities… I would dearly love to observe exactly how a beholder smuggles adamantine, but sadly we have to kill him, rather than simply observe…

The fight itself is rather quick as we have great advantage in numbers and soon enough the eye tyrant lies on the ground, a big gooey mass of flesh – nothing more. Phaere does not hesitate in praising my heroic fighting prowess, which is rather awkward as it was Solaufein who brought the beast down… I can hear his teeth gritting as Phaere compliments me. I think that I understand what it is all about – Phaere obviously uses me to get back at Solaufein, likely that they have been lovers just recently. I just hope that she will reconcile herself to compliments and will not go further than that.

After the battle is over, Phaere dismisses us and tells that she will not need us for a couple of days… I do not like this standstill - we are actually not making any progress towards finding Irenicus or the dragon’s eggs. Slowly we return to the tavern, the obvious question looming over us – how to spend the next couple of days…

“I need to pay a visit to one of the merchants at the marketplace,” Viconia says just as the rest of us are about to enter the tavern.

“Can I come with you, Covinia?” Imoen asks hopefully.

“Not this time,” Viconia replies and seeing Imoen pouting, adds hastily, “I want to buy something that is intended as a… surprise…”

“Awww, for me?” Imoen asks dreamily.

“Partly, yes,” Viconia smiles enigmatically and leaves us standing in front of the tavern door.

“I don’t want to sound suspicious, but… is Covinia alright?” Jaheira asks in disbelief, “I could have sworn hearing that she is preparing a surprise for someone…”

“Ah, Heira, stop pecking at her,” Imoen grins, “she’s swell and you know it.”

“Perhaps it’s Noemi’s influence,” I add as we enter the inn, “maybe Covinia is not going to corrupt Noemi, but actually it might turn out the other way around…” I whisper in Jaheira’s ear, but she just shrugs and leaves us waiting until she goes to organize something to eat for us - with all the commotion in the morning we seemed to have forgotten about our breakfast…

“So… err… had a restless night, bro, right?” Imoen speaks with an innocent smile, just as Jaheira has left our sight, “that stuff did work, yes? Sounded like it was very effective…”

“Umm… I am not sure I understand what you are talking about,” I reply, looking at the suddenly very interested Edwin, “how about you getting us some more of it, huh? And I told Heira that Covinia bought it, so if she asks you know what to tell…” I whisper to Imoen, making sure that Eddie is not overhearing.

“Oh, tricky aren’t we?” Imoen giggles, “ok, I’ll sneak over to the chambers and try to, err… borrow some more… I don’t think they will notice, they have plenty of it…”

Imoen quietly disappears from the table as soon as we have finished the breakfast, likely to tackle the important assignment I have entrusted her with. That leaves Edwin, Jaheira and me sitting at the table of our large, common room.

“So, any plans on what to do, Edwin? Ready to repeat your heroics of last eve?” I ask innocently.

“What heroics of last eve?” Jaheira asks, raising an eyebrow, “what have I missed, is there something I should know?”

“No, and I will not tolerate a nosy druid intruding in my private matters,” Edwin snorts, “My activities during the time of recreation is none of your concern, my dear Harper.”

“Well, I hate to disappoint you wizard, but it would appear that my days as a member of that organization have ended,” Jaheira adds bitterly, “but it is much the same for you, is it not? I suppose I am as much of a Harper than you are a Red Wizard.”

“You don’t know what you are talking about, you… you are clearly delusional…” Edwin rises from the chair, looking very upset indeed, “and if you make such implications again, I will… I will…”

“You will do nothing, Edwin,” I interrupt him, “you are bickering over nothing. If you want to visit the pleasure chambers, then it is your rights to do so – I don’t think that Jaheira or I will think less of you because of that.”

“You are right, beloved,” Jaheira smirks, looking at the annoyed Edwin, “I could not think any less of him because of that… I already think very little of him.”

“Oh, stop it, dear,” I smile back at her, “and you, Edwin – instead of insulting others, how about retrieving that chessboard of yours and…”

“Ah, I will enjoy trashing you, simian fool… indeed, what a perfect opportunity for the intellect of Edwin Odesseiron to outshine you all and remind all of you simple brutes of your true place!”

“Um… we can refrain from using our assumed names while in our apartments, but you will surely blow our incognito if you don’t stop yelling…” I silence him and with an offended expression on his face Edwin goes to retrieve the chessboard…

Soon enough, the figures are set on the board and the battle of the century can begin… Edwin is rather annoyed of having drawn the white color - he naturally prefers to play for the black. We both settle comfortably in the large chairs, Jaheira joining us to watch partly because of the boredom, but also ready to step in if the result of the game might turn out to be violent with Edwin threatening to fireball me based on false accusations of cheating.

“Blergh, gambit of Queen Ellesime… how obnoxiously sickening choice is that?” Edwin makes gagging sounds commenting on my choice of play and Jaheira actually chortles at his comment… but she falls silent as we both fix her with an inquiring look.

“Merely to annoy you, my dear wizard,” I smile in reply.

After the initial stage of development, the battle between the white and black armies now develop in full force – Edwin’s king has found his resort in the queen’s wing, while mine has retreated into the opposite. Edwin’s army is first to commence some kind of activity as he concentrates his forces for an attack on my king.

However, I am not that dumb to allow him to enforce his cunning plans and with a little effort I manage to press Edwin into having to exchange his active figures against mine inactive ones, especially the tradeoff of the white bishops bothering him greatly. With immediate danger on my king liquidated, I launch a quick counterattack on Edwin’s king and he hastily tries to transfer his forces from one flank to another in hopes of organizing a successful defense.

He does not manage to do it in time however, as I ingeniously sacrifice my bishop, breaking apart the wall of pawns that is protecting his king – Edwin has only one possible solution that will allow him to survive… he must overcome his pride and not accept the sacrifice. He wisely decides to do just that and so his king starts a hasty retreat from one wing to another. I know that I have a chance to finish it right there, but probably my lack of killer instincts work against me, once again. While I sulk about an opportunity missed, Edwin tricks me into the exchange of queens and with an advantage of one pawn the game enters its ending phase.

Knowing that the best he can hope for is a draw Edwin of course is rather annoyed and is already looking for excuses… “Jaheira, stop staring at me, you are breaking my concentration,” his wild accusation startles Jaheira, who has sleepily watched the developments on the board…

“Edwin, I have not looked at you since the start of the game,” she replies calmly, “I have been looking only at the board and sometimes at… well, your opponent…”

I feel myself blushing slightly, but Edwin continues, “Well, can’t you do something else than sitting here, like some of your druid ‘frolicking in the forest’? You are quite obviously bringing me bad luck, you emanate obstructively positive energies…”

“Why, thank you, Edwin,” a mocking smile appears on Jaheira’s lips… “I will take that as a compliment.”

“Are you sure that those aren’t the other sort of vibes?” I whisper, winking to her.

“Hmm… they very well might be,” she whispers back, “if you were not so deeply involved with the game we could… find that out together…”

“That does it,” I speak convincingly, rising from the chair and somewhat forcefully drag Jaheira to our room and she shows unexpected submissiveness at that…

“I see that facing the inevitable outcome of being crushed by my superior intellect, you have chosen to use your basic urges as an excuse for a shameful retreat,” Edwin sounds annoyed, “with that I proudly declare myself the winner of this contest…”

“Umm, Eddie… I actually thought about being forthcoming and offer you a draw,” I speak, pushing Jaheira into the room and turning to follow her.

“A DRAW? It is clearly a winning situation for me (only a blind goat would not be able to witness such an obvious fact),” Edwin rambles.

“Really? Do you still think that way if I place my knight to F4?” I stare at him through the gap of the doors and see that Edwin’s eyes have gone wide as teacups as with horror he realizes the consequences of my move…

“Eh… on second thought… I decided to be magnanimous and offer you a draw (which he would be very wise to accept… or else),” Eddie is still fixing the board with a stony glare.

“Yes, yes… whatever you say, Eddie… a draw it is then…” I reply closing the door, my attention already elsewhere…

#2 Laufey

Posted 31 August 2003 - 07:13 PM

Ok, this one has our favorite Red Wizard playing a larger part in it… hope you like it. And worry not – he will have his revenge… :wink: I am talking about Edwin-Theo chess game, of course… :shock:

Oh goody! :wink:

After the battle is over, Phaere dismisses us and tells that she will not need us for a couple of days… I do not like this standstill - we are actually not making any progress towards finding Irenicus or the dragon’s eggs. Slowly we return to the tavern, the obvious question looming over us – how to spend the next couple of days…

Theo, Theo...Jaheira's right there, do you really need to ask? :wink: Meanwhile, I'll be happy to keep Eddie occupied...

“Not this time,” Viconia replies and seeing Imoen pouting, adds hastily, “I want to buy something that is intended as a… surprise…”

“Partly, yes,” Viconia smiles enigmatically and leaves us standing in front of the tavern door.

Interesting!

“Well, I hate to disappoint you wizard, but it would appear that my days as a member of that organization have ended,” Jaheira adds bitterly, “but it is much the same for you, is it not? I suppose I am as much of a Harper than you are a Red Wizard.”

“You don’t know what you are talking about, you… you are clearly delusional…” Edwin rises from the chair, looking very upset indeed, “and if you make such implications again, I will… I will…”

Interestingly enough, my own Edwin(a) and Jaheira will soon be having a somewhat similar conversation. :lol: Glad to see I'm not the only one who noticed the similarity.

“Ah, I will enjoy trashing you, simian fool… indeed, what a perfect opportunity for the intellect of Edwin Odesseiron to outshine you all and remind all of you simple brutes of your true place!”

Awwwww! ;)

Soon enough, the figures are set on the board and the battle of the century can begin… Edwin is rather annoyed of having drawn the white color - he naturally prefers to play for the black. We both settle comfortably in the large chairs, Jaheira joining us to watch partly because of the boredom, but also ready to step in if the result of the game might turn out to be violent with Edwin threatening to fireball me based on false accusations of cheating.

“Blergh, gambit of Queen Ellesime… how obnoxiously sickening choice is that?” Edwin makes gagging sounds commenting on my choice of play and Jaheira actually chortles at his comment… but she falls silent as we both fix her with an inquiring look.

LOL!

“I see that facing the inevitable outcome of being crushed by my superior intellect, you have chosen to use your basic urges as an excuse for a shameful retreat,” Edwin sounds annoyed, “with that I proudly declare myself the winner of this contest…”

“Umm, Eddie… I actually thought about being forthcoming and offer you a draw,” I speak, pushing Jaheira into the room and turning to follow her.

“A DRAW? It is clearly a winning situation for me (only a blind goat would not be able to witness such an obvious fact),” Edwin rambles.

“Really? Do you still think that way if I place my knight to F4?” I stare at him through the gap of the doors and see that Edwin’s eyes have gone wide as teacups as with horror he realizes the consequences of my move…

“Eh… on second thought… I decided to be magnanimous and offer you a draw (which he would be very wise to accept… or else),” Eddie is still fixing the board with a stony glare.

“Yes, yes… whatever you say, Eddie… a draw it is then…” I reply closing the door, my attention already elsewhere…

Aw. Poor Eddie. :) Hm, maybe he's up for some comforting...
Rogues do it from behind.

#3 Guest_Bjorn_*

Posted 31 August 2003 - 07:33 PM

We reach our designed meeting place in due time only to see that our two superiors are involved in a shouting match and from how they both act, it does not seem to be a simple lovers quarrel. Amidst Solaufein’s jabs, Phaere explains that we are to kill a beholder who is involved in the smuggling of adamantine, which does sound rather odd. Nonetheless, we know how to tackle a beholder and are well prepared to do so again.

hope they brought the Shield of Balduran with them :wink:

Phaere leads us to the place where the beholder is supposed to appear at some stage to probably conduct his smuggling activities- I would dearly love to observe exactly how a beholder smuggles adamantine, but sadly we have to kill him, rather than simply observe...

LOL! Interesting point, but this is one job where doing much thinking will only get you into trouble.

After the battle is over, Phaere dismisses us and tells that she will not need us for a couple of days- I do not like this standstill - we are actually not making any progress towards finding Irenicus or the dragon’s eggs. Slowly we return to the tavern, the obvious question looming over us - how to spend the next couple of days...

Sensibly staying in the tavern and resting up? But not much chance of that with this group...

"I don’t want to sound suspicious, but... is Covinia alright?" Jaheira asks in disbelief, "I could have sworn hearing that she is preparing a surprise for someone..."

She didn't say it was going to be a nice surprise, mind...

"Umm... I am not sure I understand what you are talking about," I reply, looking at the suddenly very interested Edwin, "how about you getting us some more of it, huh? And I told Heira that Covinia bought it, so if she asks you know what to tell..." I whisper to Imoen, making sure that Eddie is not overhearing.

;) Wonder if it's only drow that make the stuff, or if Theo will be able to find some somewhere on the surface world as well.

"So, any plans on what to do, Edwin? Ready to repeat your heroics of last eve?" I ask innocently.

You're one to talk, Theo. Bet he plans on doing just the same once Immy gets back with his lotion.

"What heroics of last eve?" Jaheira asks, raising an eyebrow, "what have I missed, is there something I should know?"

Trust me Jaheira, you're probably much happier not knowing about it.

"Oh, stop it, dear," I smile back at her, "and you, Edwin - instead of insulting others, how about retrieving that chessboard of yours and..."

...thrashing Theo at chess?

After the initial stage of development, the battle between the white and black armies now develop in full force - Edwin’s king has found his resort in the queen’s wing, while mine has retreated into the opposite. Edwin’s army is first to commence some kind of activity as he concentrates his forces for an attack on my king.

Eddie strikes me as the kind of chess player who would play an attacking game :wink: .

I feel myself blushing slightly, but Edwin continues, "Well, can’t you do something else than sitting here, like some of your druid ‘frolicking in the forest’? You are quite obviously bringing me bad luck, you emanate obstructively positive energies..."

Uh, slight shortage of forests in the Underdark, Eddie. And she's more likely to distract Theo than you, anyway.

"Are you sure that those aren’t the other sort of vibes?" I whisper, winking to her.

Concentrate on the game, Theo :wink:

"I see that facing the inevitable outcome of being crushed by my superior intellect, you have chosen to use your basic urges as an excuse for a shameful retreat," Edwin sounds annoyed, "with that I proudly declare myself the winner of this contest..."

Sounds fair enough to me. Now pack the pieces away quick before Theo changes his mind and comes back to finish it...

"Really? Do you still think that way if I place my knight to F4?" I stare at him through the gap of the doors and see that Edwin’s eyes have gone wide as teacups as with horror he realizes the consequences of my move...

Nah, play on Eddie, just think for a long time about your next move and Theo is bound to lose patience and resign.

Nice chapter :lol:.

#4 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 31 August 2003 - 07:53 PM

Theo, Theo...Jaheira's right there, do you really need to ask? ;) Meanwhile, I'll be happy to keep Eddie occupied...

Please, be my guest... I don't mind... :lol:

Interesting!

You won't find out what that was all about for a loooong time. There will be a clue along the way, but it isn't easy to pick up... :wink:

Interestingly enough, my own Edwin(a) and Jaheira will soon be having a somewhat similar conversation. :) Glad to see I'm not the only one who noticed the similarity.

Hmmm... y'know with them both being outcasts of their organizations... perhaps they should seek solace in each other's arms... :lol: Ok, not in Theo or Rini's universes, of course! :wink:

Wonder, if you will re-unite Jaheira with the Harpers in the end... I... have my own plans... muahaha! :wink:

Awwwww! :shock:

Precious, isn't he? :lol:

LOL!

Hehe... me and my awful backlog - this was written long before Dorotea wrote Eddie-Jon chess-dialogues for The Longer Road... :wink:

Aw. Poor Eddie. :wink: Hm, maybe he's up for some comforting...

Definitely! :lol:

#5 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 31 August 2003 - 08:17 PM

[quote][quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
hope they brought the Shield of Balduran with them :wink:
[/quote]

Uh, no... that thing is just too expensive...

[quote]
[quote]
Phaere leads us to the place where the beholder is supposed to appear at some stage to probably conduct his smuggling activities- I would dearly love to observe exactly how a beholder smuggles adamantine, but sadly we have to kill him, rather than simply observe...
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
LOL! Interesting point, but this is one job where doing much thinking will only get you into trouble.
[/quote]

Of course, you are correct! Lucky for Theo there are enough people to remind him not to daydream...

[quote]
[quote]
After the battle is over, Phaere dismisses us and tells that she will not need us for a couple of days- I do not like this standstill - we are actually not making any progress towards finding Irenicus or the dragon’s eggs. Slowly we return to the tavern, the obvious question looming over us - how to spend the next couple of days...
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Sensibly staying in the tavern and resting up? But not much chance of that with this group...[/quote]

Hehe... no, not really.

[quote]
"I don’t want to sound suspicious, but... is Covinia alright?" Jaheira asks in disbelief, "I could have sworn hearing that she is preparing a surprise for someone..."
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
She didn't say it was going to be a nice surprise, mind...
[/quote]

Whether it will be nice - that is... debatable.

[quote]
[quote]
"Umm... I am not sure I understand what you are talking about," I reply, looking at the suddenly very interested Edwin, "how about you getting us some more of it, huh? And I told Heira that Covinia bought it, so if she asks you know what to tell..." I whisper to Imoen, making sure that Eddie is not overhearing.
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
:wink: Wonder if it's only drow that make the stuff, or if Theo will be able to find some somewhere on the surface world as well.
[/quote]

Well... better for them not to become addicts... I'm sure they won't need it once Theo has his soul back...

[quote]
[quote]
"So, any plans on what to do, Edwin? Ready to repeat your heroics of last eve?" I ask innocently.
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
You're one to talk, Theo. Bet he plans on doing just the same once Immy gets back with his lotion.
[/quote]

Yeah... he has become so predictable... :wink:

[quote]
[quote]
"What heroics of last eve?" Jaheira asks, raising an eyebrow, "what have I missed, is there something I should know?"
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Trust me Jaheira, you're probably much happier not knowing about it.
[/quote]

Will telling her that, stop her? :wink:

[quote]
[quote]
"Oh, stop it, dear," I smile back at her, "and you, Edwin - instead of insulting others, how about retrieving that chessboard of yours and..."
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
...thrashing Theo at chess?
[/quote]

He can try... but as we know, it is not all about your INT score...

[quote]
[quote]
After the initial stage of development, the battle between the white and black armies now develop in full force - Edwin’s king has found his resort in the queen’s wing, while mine has retreated into the opposite. Edwin’s army is first to commence some kind of activity as he concentrates his forces for an attack on my king.
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Eddie strikes me as the kind of chess player who would play an attacking game ;) .
[/quote]

Indeed. And support his attacks with a well placed Fireball...

[quote]
[quote]
I feel myself blushing slightly, but Edwin continues, "Well, can’t you do something else than sitting here, like some of your druid ‘frolicking in the forest’? You are quite obviously bringing me bad luck, you emanate obstructively positive energies..."
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Uh, slight shortage of forests in the Underdark, Eddie. And she's more likely to distract Theo than you, anyway.
[/quote]

Tell that to someone who is just looking for excuses...

[quote]
[quote]
"Are you sure that those aren’t the other sort of vibes?" I whisper, winking to her.
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Concentrate on the game, Theo :lol:
[/quote]

She's just so... distracting... :)

[quote]
[quote]
"I see that facing the inevitable outcome of being crushed by my superior intellect, you have chosen to use your basic urges as an excuse for a shameful retreat," Edwin sounds annoyed, "with that I proudly declare myself the winner of this contest..."
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Sounds fair enough to me. Now pack the pieces away quick before Theo changes his mind and comes back to finish it...
[/quote]

Umm... that will be in a half-hour's time or maybe even later...

[quote]
[quote]
"Really? Do you still think that way if I place my knight to F4?" I stare at him through the gap of the doors and see that Edwin’s eyes have gone wide as teacups as with horror he realizes the consequences of my move...
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Nah, play on Eddie, just think for a long time about your next move and Theo is bound to lose patience and resign.
[/quote]

There is no force that could keep Theo to that chessboard now... :shock:

[quote]
Nice chapter :wink:.[/quote]

Thank you!

#6 Weyoun

Posted 31 August 2003 - 09:09 PM

Phaere leads us to the place where the beholder is supposed to appear at some stage to probably conduct his smuggling activities… I would dearly love to observe exactly how a beholder smuggles adamantine, but sadly we have to kill him, rather than simply observe…

Hmm, maybe the beholders have secret compartments installed in their eyes. :wink:

“I need to pay a visit to one of the merchants at the marketplace,” Viconia says just as the rest of us are about to enter the tavern.

Awww...

*snicker* Looks like Im is a 'bad' influence on Vic. :wink:

“What heroics of last eve?” Jaheira asks, raising an eyebrow, “what have I missed, is there something I should know?”

“No, and I will not tolerate a nosy druid intruding in my private matters,” Edwin snorts, “My activities during the time of recreation is none of your concern, my dear Harper.”

Ach, poor Eddie. I think they have more in common than he's willing to admit. :lol:

*grin* It seems to be working perfectly. ;)

He does not manage to do it in time however, as I ingeniously sacrifice my bishop, breaking apart the wall of pawns that is protecting his king – Edwin has only one possible solution that will allow him to survive… he must overcome his pride and not accept the sacrifice. He wisely decides to do just that and so his king starts a hasty retreat from one wing to another. I know that I have a chance to finish it right there, but probably my lack of killer instincts work against me, once again. While I sulk about an opportunity missed, Edwin tricks me into the exchange of queens and with an advantage of one pawn the game enters its ending phase.

I don't know much about chess, I'm afraid, but I like this scene.

Sorry, chess is a game I just haven't the patience for. :wink:

LOL! Good move. :)

I wonder how he'd do at 3-D chess, mister Spock. :shock:

Great stuff,
---Weyoun
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#7 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 01 September 2003 - 06:15 AM

Hmm, maybe the beholders have secret compartments installed in their eyes. :)

Could be... who wants to check that?

Awww...

:(

*snicker* Looks like Im is a 'bad' influence on Vic. :)

Hehe... they are both changing... :(

Ach, poor Eddie. I think they have more in common than he's willing to admit. :(

Than they BOTH are willing to admit, I'd say...

*grin* It seems to be working perfectly. :D

Of course... Ellesime... yuck! :)

I don't know much about chess, I'm afraid, but I like this scene.

Sorry, chess is a game I just haven't the patience for. ;)

I wrote it without any technical details so that it can be still interesting for those that don't know the game. I was pretty good at it while a kid, but I also lacked the patience to become REALLY good at it.

LOL! Good move. :D

I dunno about the English term, but in Latvian the move would mean something like 'the fork' - when you make two threats simulteanously, while the opponent can only defend against one...

I wonder how he'd do at 3-D chess, mister Spock. :)

Hehe... with years, Eddie would probably become very good... he's just not patient enough...

Great stuff,
---Weyoun

Thanks for commenting! :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com