Photo

City of Glaradia Theros 6 (with Justin Thyme)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Arcalian

Posted 14 August 2003 - 01:43 AM

Cort and Freyus squeezed themselves reluctantly through the doorway into the office of the Beholder.

"How does the Beholder get in here, anyway," Freyus grumbled.

((Through the tunnel to the underground behind me,)) a voice rumbled in their minds. As one, they turned, slowly.

The Beholder, Captain of the City Watch, stared at them with it's central eye. It was a Spectator Beholder, neutral and indifferent. But this particular Beholder had become fascinated with the behavior of humanoid species at an early age. Why, no one had dared ask it. Nor did Freyus and Cort ask it how it had achieved it's current position. Being in the same room as it was more than enough to still them. It had a name, but it verged on the unpronounceable.

The Beholder's other eyes scanned the room ceaselessly. Cort didn't want to know what it would be like to have all those eyes focused on him at once.

((So, Cort and Freyus. Yes, I know both of you. And the mage in custody is your....brother, Cort. What fascinating hive relations you humanoids have.))

"Er...yes....I beleive him to be innocent."

"A doppleganger must be responsible," Freyus put in.

((Without any proof, I cannot relase him. But I will stay his trial and execution long enough for you to seek the doppleganger. You have three days.))

"We don't know where to begin to look," Freyus protested.

Three of the Beholder's wriggling secondary eyes also focused on them. ((Then I suggest you start thinking,)) it said, the mental voice now more threatening. ((Who do you know who could've arranged to hire a doppleganger, and for what motive? Think about it, while you get the Hells out of my office.))

They scrambled to obey.

--------

"Well, that went well," said Cort.

"Bought us some time. Now, obviously whoever set Theros up had something to do with the war between the trade houses. But who, and why? That is what we have to find out now."

"We need to speak to our employer, I think," Cort mused.

"Aye, for all the good it will do..."
The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com