Live by the Sword part 1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_H'kira the Wolf_*

Posted 12 August 2003 - 02:52 AM

Live by the Sword 1: Nobody’s Fool

And the Wolf comes out of the shadows yet again. The hell that is preparing for college is nearly over. This is mostly conversation between Ellesime and Taure. If you are opposed to a not-so-nice Ellesime, you might not like it. I'm not terribly happy with this chap., but I hope ya'll like it.

If you’re trying to turn me into someone else
It’s easy to see I’m not down with that
I’m not nobody’s fool
If you’re trying to turn me into something else
I’ve seen it enough that I’m over that
I’m not nobody’s fool

If you want to bring me down
Go ahead and try
Go ahead and try

-Avril Lavigne, Nobody’s Fool

Taureliloomea stood before her queen. Ellesime looked her up and down, a slight smile on her stately features. Taure was a moon-elf of house Luurea, house Cloud-dark. She had silver-gray skin, accented further by the length of pale silver hair that fell to her waist. The almond-shaped eyes that surveyed the throne room were a deep reflective amber. Taure was beautiful, even by elven standards, which was why most of Suldanessalar assumed Ellesime kept her in close proximity. Their queen had quite the penchant for collecting the beautiful and talented.

Taure was no exception.

She had shunned her elven chain for a soft leather tunic and pants, cut in true elven style. Even in leisure, however, her blade was still at her side. Kallasilya, Bright Silvershine. She had crafted the slender longsword herself, as Bladesingers are wont to do. The blade was exquisite, cast from a peculiar metal that gave it a peculiar mottled finish of both dark and light silver. The crosspiece was shaped like intertwining oak leaves, and a single sapphire decorated the hilt.

Taureliloomea moved fluidly, with the cat-like grace all Bladesingers seemed to possess. Effortlessly, she sank to one knee, bowing her head.

“Might I speak to you for a time, milady?” Taure asked quietly. Her amber eyes flashed from guard to guard, “In private?”

“Very well, Taureliloomea,” Ellesime replied, rising from her throne and beckoning for the Bladesinger to follow. The moon-elf rose and went after her. The queen led the warrior to the balcony of her private chambers.

“What did you wish to speak about?” Ellesime asked, setting formality aside “You seem unsettled, Taure.”

She placed one hand on the Bladesinger’s silver-gray shoulder. Taure flinched. Ellesime had been worried about the other woman for quite some time. Ever since…ever since Joneleth and his thrice-be-damned stunt, Taure had become uneasy, quick to startle. Her friendships had suffered greatly. The withdrawn moon-elf seemed to have no wish for contact with anyone. Not after…not after what had happened.

“I…” Taure’s eyes fell on the hand still on her shoulder, “Please, Ellesime.”

The queen removed her hand from the other’s arm and the moon-elf seemed to settle a bit.

“I’m…I will be leaving Suldanessalar,” the Bladesinger managed, sighing after her admission.

“What?!” Ellesime was shocked, “Why?!”

“It does me no good, Elle,” Taure replied, “Every day…just brings back memories of that day. Even the Tree brings me no peace anymore. I haven’t been able to reverie in months…and the dreams come. This is no place for me…”

The Bladesinger ran through the chaos, her pale blue eyes full of horror as the world burst into flames around her. People were running, were screaming. Her silver hair glinted red in the surrounding fire. Her kin were lying around, strewn haphazardly as if they had been tossed from a child’s toybox. Broken dolls. The temple, she was nearly there.

Ruayr lay in her arms, a mere snippet of a boy. He had entertained grand ideas of becoming a Bladesinger, had begged her to train him. The enthusiastic child had dogged her, followed her all around the city, pleading until she hadn’t it in her heart to say no. She had sworn that when he was a little older, she would teach him what she knew, if he still wished it. The smile on that little boy’s face had been enough of a reward, the excited shout when he had run to tell his friend’s.

He had been one of the first struck down. A child. He was barely breathing as she moved swiftly to the temple. A heart-wrenching scream erupted from the boy’s throat, as the life was torn out of him by some outside force. He was gone. A child.

She muttered a prayer to Corellon, to watch carefully over him, then rose and headed for the source of the corruption. To the elven mage who was destroying the very fabric of their life. Soon, she came upon the Queen, who was doing her best to end this madness. A burning limb…it was falling from the Tree of Life…

The Bladesinger tackled her liege, shoving her ruler out of the way. The flaming mass struck her…she could smell burnt flesh…hers…then all was darkness…shadows…shadows and screams…

Kuile ne i makil! Unquale ne i makil!

“Taure,” someone was shaking her shoulders, “Taure…by the gods…”

Eventually, she snapped back into reality. Sitting on the ground, her back against the railing of the balcony. Tears were running down her face, someone was gently brushing them away…Ellesime.

“Are you alright?” the concerned queen asked.

“I think so,” the Bladesinger whispered, running her fingers through her mane of silver hair.

“You’ve changed so much,” Ellesime remarked.

“I know,” Taure replied darkly.

“Have you ever thought about the lives that have been ruined in this place, Elle?” the moon-elf asked, something strange flickering in her eyes, “How would they be if actions had been different. Sometimes I wonder if I should have seen it coming…why I didn’t…”

“Taure,” Ellesime said, a look of chagrin on her beautiful features, “You’re being morbid.”

“Perhaps it’s necessary,” the Bladesinger continued, “Aren’t there ever days…days that you wonder, if you could have done more? We of all people…we should have known that something was going on…”

“Taure…” the queen sat down beside the Bladesinger and put her arm around the moon-elf’s shoulders. Taure flinched again, rising in one fluid, cat-like motion and distancing herself from her liege. The look in the moon-elf’s golden eyes reminded Ellesime of a cornered wildcat.

“What is the matter with you lately,” Ellesime asked, irritation creeping into her voice, “You didn’t even act like this when Elhan kissed you.”

Taure snorted, “I knew he was going to, Elle. We planned to put on a little show, so that avariel would leave him alone. The poor man did not need a stalker. I have never found a need to question his intentions.”

“And you question mine?” the queen asked, closing the distance between the two of them.

“Yes,” the Bladesinger replied frankly.

“Would it be so wrong for me to be interested in you?” Ellesime queried.

“But could you ever love me?” Taure returned.

“Is that a surprise? You’re beautiful and talented,” the queen stated, “an ideal consort.”

“Beauty and talent,” the moon-elf said bitterly, almost as if to mock her “That is not love. Did…did you ever love him, Ellesime? Or was he just another beautiful toy for you to parade around, another trophy to adorn your shelves and share your bedchambers?”

“How dare you!” Ellesime shouted.

“I dare because I will not become the next in line,” Taure snarled, “Because I loved Bodhi more than anything on this wretched world. I know what love is, and what you speak of is not it.”

“She’s gone, Taure,” Ellesime continued, “She’s gone and there isn’t a way for her to come back. If she had loved you the way you say she did, why did she do it? Why betray your trust like that, if she ever did care?”

The words hit her like a physical blow and the moon-elf’s amber eyes flickered with anger, “I don’t know why she did it, Ellesime. I can’t believe she meant for anyone to be hurt. She couldn’t have known that it would end up like that. No one could.”

“So you hold on to what you’ve lost,” the queen continued, disdainfully, “Clinging to the past and never considering what kind of future you could have. I could give you everything you ever dreamed of and more. Yet you would shun me for an Exile!”

“There are other elves that would certainly want to be with you, Ellesime,” Taure said.

“I want you, not them,” Ellesime had the silver-skinned elf by the shoulders, shook her violently in emphasis.

Their eyes locked. Taure spoke softly, “I still love her. No matter what she’s done, she still has my heart. Can’t you understand that?”

“No.”

“I am sorry, then. I will go,” the moon-elf turned and strode resolutely out of Ellesime’s rooms.

“No, Taure,” Ellesime snarled, catching up with her in the throne room “You’re not leaving. A Bladesinger must answer the call of her liege, no matter what it is for.”

“You wouldn’t,” Taure whirled, amber eyes lighting up with fury as she discerned the queen’s intent.

“Wouldn’t I?” Ellesime replied, a leer on her beautiful features, “Taureliloomea Luurea, on order of your queen, you are forbidden to leave Suldanessalar. On your honor as a Bladesinger.”

Taure sat on the couch, in her own home. She was reading through a scroll Ellesime had sent to her. An invitation to join the queen’s guard.

A slender hand snatched it out of her grasp, and the sound of paper being shredded swiftly followed. The figure responsible for the destruction of the document came around the couch and straddled the Bladesinger’s waist. The other elf was stunning, with a length of raven-black hair and expressive sapphire eyes. Her skin was pale, her body fit and lithe.

“Don’t you ever,” Bodhi said sternly, “ever let Ellesime get her claws into you. She’s out to control you. I won’t have you become another little puppet for her, melisse. Understood?”

The moon-elf nodded, amber eyes alight with amusement.

“Good,” the other woman murmured, planting a soft kiss on her companion’s lips.

Those same amber eyes, filled with determination, met Ellesime’s green.

“No,” Taure answered. The guards would always remember the look on the Bladesinger’s beautiful visage, that of love, though they knew it was not meant for the queen, but for another.

“What?!”

“I said no,” the moon-elf replied sadly, “I relinquish my title as Bladesinger until Corellon himself sees fit to return it to me. Kallasilya will remain at my side a reminder of my vow. I will be out of the city by sunset. Farewell, Ellesime.”

She strode back through the throne room and out into the bright wonder that was Suldanessalar. She wandered through the bridged walkways, eventually making her way back to her own home. It was small and plainly decorated, but she had never seen a real need to go to the lengths of extravagance that others of her family seemed to revel in.

“Taure,” a voice sounded. The moon-elf jumped, drawing her sword.

“Whoa, take it easy, Killer,” Elhan said as he walked into the room.

“Heh,” Taure managed, “It’s just you.”

The prince was blonde, blue-eyed, and most of them time, a person she enjoyed spending time with. Elhan wasn’t nearly as hostile as his sister, the queen. He was a nice guy, and a good friend of hers.

“I heard you talking to Elle,” Elhan admitted, sitting on the counter and taking an apple from the bowl of fruit nearby, “I’m sorry.”

Taure smiled slightly, “I said what needed to be said.”

“You certainly did,” Elhan replied, smirking slightly, “Listen, Taure…Where are you going to go?”

The former Bladesinger’s smile grew both wistful and bitter, “I’m…” those amber eyes closed, “I’m going to find Bodhi.”

“I thought as much,” Elhan continued, “Then…I need to tell you something, Taure.”

The moon-elf raised one silver eyebrow, grabbing a chair from the table and sitting down.

“When…” the prince faltered, “When Joneleth did what he did…well…the last thing you remember was that branch falling on you, right?”

Taure nodded.

“Bodhi saw it too,” Elhan continued, “She’s the one that pulled it off of you. She tried to get you away from that place. I caught up to her there…you were dying, Taure…so I helped her get you out of there. She went after Jon, to try to get him to stop, and asked me to get you to a priest, so I did. Well, when they got Joneleth and her in custody, so to speak, you were recovering at the temple. Ellesime…for the trial…”

Taure hopped up on the counter beside him, “It’s alright, Elhan, you can tell me.”

The prince took a shaky breath, “When they went to pass sentence on Bodhi…we all thought they’d be lenient because she didn’t do the deed, and she tried to stop him after she realized what was going on. Ellesime told her you were dead, Taure. You should’ve seen the look in Bodhi’s eyes, like she had passed through into hell. So when it came time for her to speak her piece…defend herself…”

“She said,” Elhan managed, “She said she had nothing to say. She refused to defend herself. Bodhi told them that she had nothing to live for anymore, so it didn’t matter what happened to her. So Ellesime did the same to her as she did to Joneleth.”

The news tore into the moon-elf’s soul, she hissed in anger “She…she deliberately condemned her…”

“I thought you should know, Taure,” the prince said, “Ellesime told us all that as long as you lived in Suldanessalar, you weren’t to know. She never though you’d leave.”

Tears threatened, but the ex-Bladesinger held them back, “Thank you.”

She hugged the hapless elven man, “Thank you, Elhan.”

“You’re welcome, Taure,” the prince replied, “One more thing.”

“What?”

“Bodhi is in Athkatla,” Elhan whispered, “She is…by the Seldarine, she’s become a vampire. I’m sorry, Taure.”

Then the tears came. The elf-prince held his friend as all the walls she had put around herself fell down, destroyed by the conflicts and revelations of the day. Taureliloomea cried herself to sleep. While she was sleeping, Elhan packed her things and got her horse.

He scrawled down a letter, tucked it inside a rather hefty tome he had…well… ‘acquired’ from the Royal Libraries, and placed both in her pack. He woke her some time later, so she could set forth on her journey.

Taure looked back at the city in the trees just as the sun began to set. She checked her saddlebags, unearthing an enormous book. She blew the dust off the cover…it was a tome…containing all elven knowledge on the process of vampirism…and the possibility of reversing it…

She smiled and put it back. She would read it when she reached Athkatla. The moon-elf raised her blade, saluting the prince she knew was watching.

Kuile ne i makil! Unquale ne i makil! she shouted.

Live by the sword! Die by the sword!

She didn't look back.

Well, hope ya liked it,
I have more When Wolves Cry ready for later this week,
H’kira n’ the Wolf

#2 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 12 August 2003 - 11:43 AM

And the Wolf comes out of the shadows yet again. The hell that is preparing for college is nearly over. This is mostly conversation between Ellesime and Taure. If you are opposed to a not-so-nice Ellesime, you might not like it. I'm not terribly happy with this chap., but I hope ya'll like it.

Well, I think Elle is a *beep*! :)

Taureliloomea stood before her queen. Ellesime looked her up and down, a slight smile on her stately features. Taure was a moon-elf of house Luurea, house Cloud-dark. She had silver-gray skin, accented further by the length of pale silver hair that fell to her waist. The almond-shaped eyes that surveyed the throne room were a deep reflective amber. Taure was beautiful, even by elven standards, which was why most of Suldanessalar assumed Ellesime kept her in close proximity. Their queen had quite the penchant for collecting the beautiful and talented.

Well... hard to blame Elle for wanting to keep this girl in close proximity... :P

“It does me no good, Elle,” Taure replied, “Every day…just brings back memories of that day. Even the Tree brings me no peace anymore. I haven’t been able to reverie in months…and the dreams come. This is no place for me…”

Is that because of Jonaleth's descration of the Tree?

She muttered a prayer to Corellon, to watch carefully over him, then rose and headed for the source of the corruption. To the elven mage who was destroying the very fabric of their life. Soon, she came upon the Queen, who was doing her best to end this madness. A burning limb…it was falling from the Tree of Life…

The Bladesinger tackled her liege, shoving her ruler out of the way. The flaming mass struck her…she could smell burnt flesh…hers…then all was darkness…shadows…shadows and screams…

This whole passage was very powerful - shows the extent of tragedy that Jonaleth brought upon his kin. :(

“What is the matter with you lately,” Ellesime asked, irritation creeping into her voice, “You didn’t even act like this when Elhan kissed you.”

:shock: Elhan! YUCK!

Taure snorted, “I knew he was going to, Elle. We planned to put on a little show, so that avariel would leave him alone. The poor man did not need a stalker. I have never found a need to question his intentions.”

Oooooh! Avariel are veeeeery dangerous, we all know that!

“Beauty and talent,” the moon-elf said bitterly, almost as if to mock her “That is not love. Did…did you ever love him, Ellesime? Or was he just another beautiful toy for you to parade around, another trophy to adorn your shelves and share your bedchambers?”

Uhhh! She wouldn't like to face the bitter, unpleasant truth... oh, no!

“I dare because I will not become the next in line,” Taure snarled, “Because I loved Bodhi more than anything on this wretched world. I know what love is, and what you speak of is not it.”

:shock: Bodhi? Oh, dear... obviously, she would have been a bit nicer as an elf, but I think that she would still be pretty wild and predatory... :D

“There are other elves that would certainly want to be with you, Ellesime,” Taure said.

“I want you, not them,” Ellesime had the silver-skinned elf by the shoulders, shook her violently in emphasis.

Wonder how long would Taure last before Elle would get tired of her... a tenday? Month? Year?

“Wouldn’t I?” Ellesime replied, a leer on her beautiful features, “Taureliloomea Luurea, on order of your queen, you are forbidden to leave Suldanessalar. On your honor as a Bladesinger.”

I can sooo see Elle doing that...

“Don’t you ever,” Bodhi said sternly, “ever let Ellesime get her claws into you. She’s out to control you. I won’t have you become another little puppet for her, melisse. Understood?”

YAY! Go, Bodhi! :shock: *slaps himself* What did I just say?

“I said no,” the moon-elf replied sadly, “I relinquish my title as Bladesinger until Corellon himself sees fit to return it to me. Kallasilya will remain at my side a reminder of my vow. I will be out of the city by sunset. Farewell, Ellesime.”

Heh, take that, Elle!

The prince was blonde, blue-eyed, and most of them time, a person she enjoyed spending time with. Elhan wasn’t nearly as hostile as his sister, the queen. He was a nice guy, and a good friend of hers.

Is this the same Elhan as in the game? :roll: I always thought he was Elle's new consort, though I don't think that it was mentioned anywhere...

The former Bladesinger’s smile grew both wistful and bitter, “I’m…” those amber eyes closed, “I’m going to find Bodhi.”

You are in for a nasty shock, dear elf... :(

“Bodhi saw it too,” Elhan continued, “She’s the one that pulled it off of you. She tried to get you away from that place. I caught up to her there…you were dying, Taure…so I helped her get you out of there. She went after Jon, to try to get him to stop, and asked me to get you to a priest, so I did. Well, when they got Joneleth and her in custody, so to speak, you were recovering at the temple. Ellesime…for the trial…”

Wow, this is one very nice Bodhi... :)

The prince took a shaky breath, “When they went to pass sentence on Bodhi…we all thought they’d be lenient because she didn’t do the deed, and she tried to stop him after she realized what was going on. Ellesime told her you were dead, Taure. You should’ve seen the look in Bodhi’s eyes, like she had passed through into hell. So when it came time for her to speak her piece…defend herself…”

“She said,” Elhan managed, “She said she had nothing to say. She refused to defend herself. Bodhi told them that she had nothing to live for anymore, so it didn’t matter what happened to her. So Ellesime did the same to her as she did to Joneleth.”

Poor, poor Bodhi... :( ... tough I feel mighty weird by saying those words...

“Bodhi is in Athkatla,” Elhan whispered, “She is…by the Seldarine, she’s become a vampire. I’m sorry, Taure.”

And there is nothing more that disgust an elf more than an undead creature... *bawl*

Taure looked back at the city in the trees just as the sun began to set. She checked her saddlebags, unearthing an enormous book. She blew the dust off the cover…it was a tome…containing all elven knowledge on the process of vampirism…and the possibility of reversing it…

Heh, I hope Bodhi isn't too farg gone when she catches up with her...

Well, hope ya liked it,
H’kira n’ the Wolf

Wow! Very original idea, I REALLY liked it! I hope you continue with it. :P

#3 Guest_H'kira the Wolf_*

Posted 12 August 2003 - 07:50 PM

Well, I think Elle is a *beep*! 8)

Good :twisted: , a kindred spirit.

Well... hard to blame Elle for wanting to keep this girl in close proximity... :P

hehehe...

Is that because of Jonaleth's descration of the Tree?

The trauma of it...Taure has some serious Joneleth/Bodhi/Tree issues

This whole passage was very powerful - shows the extent of tragedy that Jonaleth brought upon his kin. :(

*nods* Thank you

:shock: Elhan! YUCK!

Taure: *wicked grin* Would you rather I kissed Jaheira?

Oooooh! Avariel are veeeeery dangerous, we all know that!

Tricksy Avariel... :twisted:

Uhhh! She wouldn't like to face the bitter, unpleasant truth... oh, no!

Nope...I think she has a superiority complex...

:shock: Bodhi? Oh, dear... obviously, she would have been a bit nicer as an elf, but I think that she would still be pretty wild and predatory... :twisted:

Taure: You have no idea...

Wonder how long would Taure last before Elle would get tired of her... a tenday? Month? Year?

Good question. I don't think she plans on finding out.

I can sooo see Elle doing that...

Yet another reason to affectionatley label her as the Bitch Queen.

YAY! Go, Bodhi! :shock: *slaps himself* What did I just say?

Mwahahaha...you've been corrupted... :twisted:

Heh, take that, Elle!

Taure is a very determined person...of course spending so much time with Bodhi has opened her eyes a little...

Is this the same Elhan as in the game? :roll: I always thought he was Elle's new consort, though I don't think that it was mentioned anywhere...

I was never quite sure exactly *what* Elhan was...so he's become her half-brother for the sake of my twisted plotting...

You are in for a nasty shock, dear elf... :(

*nods* They're going to have some issues to clear up...to say the least.

Wow, this is one very nice Bodhi... :)

Yep.

Poor, poor Bodhi... :( ... tough I feel mighty weird by saying those words...

Poor Theo...are you beginning to like Bodhi?

And there is nothing more that disgust an elf more than an undead creature... *bawl*

*nods*

Heh, I hope Bodhi isn't too farg gone when she catches up with her...

We'll see...

Well, hope ya liked it,
H’kira n’ the Wolf

Wow! Very original idea, I REALLY liked it! I hope you continue with it. :P

I will :D I'm glad you liked it. I was kindof unsure as to how it would be taken.

H'kira n' the Wolf

#4 Guest_Dark-Mage_*

Posted 13 August 2003 - 08:52 PM

I really liked this chapter, I hope that you write more :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com