Strength

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Soris_*

Posted 18 December 2002 - 01:16 AM

Strength

Three days. He was free from her for three days. Phaere had been reasonably pleased with their success in dealing with the eye tyrant, but even so, her demeanor grated on him, and Soris was glad for the space. Besides, he didn’t want Viconia and Phaere to mix for any longer than was absolutely necessary. He leaned back in his seat while he waited for his food to come. Viconia had recommended it, but she told him not to ask what was in it. He decided to trust her and just ate.

Viconia was glad Soris had taken her advice. She did not relish the thought of explaining the intricacies of cooking in the Underdark. That was enough to unsettle even her stomach. Still it was nice to have some of the familiar tastes of her youth, even if they were vastly inferior to the cooking she remembered. She thought over the events of the day. As a “reward” for their success, Phaere had given them several days’ leave before their next assignment. Soris had decided to spend the day in a series of pit fights. He had thought it would improve his “Drow” image. She hadn’t been particularly pleased, but she did agree with him. She had been concerned when Soris had accepted the mages’ challenges, but they were no match for him. He hadn’t even taken serious harm. She chuckled. He was tired, though.

Jaheira was concerned. Both Soris and Viconia had suffered during their visit to the illithid city. Both had problems buried down deep, and Jaheira knew from experience that those problems tended to surface at the worst of times. She prayed that she could see the party safely out of the Underdark before they surfaced. Outside of the Underdark, they might be able to deal with them. Here, such problems would most likely get them all killed.

Neither Keldorn nor Minsc said much at all. They were both starved, and Soris thought he saw money change hands at another table after Minsc cleared his third plate.

Imoen spoke quietly with the other patrons, listening to their stories and occasionally offering one of her own.

Overall, things didn’t seem all that bad, but the ever-oppressive atmosphere of the Underdark hung over them. Each had fears and daemons that stalked their dreams. Since the trip through the illithid city, Soris dreaded sleeping. His dreams all ended the same way…

He stood at the end of a long, black tunnel. Viconia stood, at the other end. To him, she seemed to glow and beckoned him onward. He started running and drew closer, but she started fading. He pushed himself harder, until he couldn’t go any more, and then he continued to push. Each breath was agony, but he kept going. He could almost touch her. She faded to nothing, a memory. Then that too was torn away from him. He was alone. And Bhaal just laughed.

He woke with a gasp. They all end the same way. I’m always alone, with the laughter. I can’t take this. He did not want to go back to sleep, not when he knew what was waiting for him, so he decided to go for a walk. He threw on his robe and grabbed his staff. As he stepped out of his room, he noticed another figure moving down the hall. Without knowing why, he followed…

Viconia DeVir couldn’t sleep. She struggled with her feelings. Adalon’s words continued to return, and she was powerless to avoid them. Little by little, everything the dragon said was coming true. This will not be easy for you, Drow, I know, but you must guide him. He will not survive in your world on his own. His life is in your hands, and he trusts you completely. I doubt that is something you have experienced before. I advise you not to squander it. Viconia had withstood the dragon’s comments in silence. She hadn’t been able to answer the dragon then, and she still didn’t have a good answer, even now. Soris was impossible for her to fathom. She had never met a male like him. That frightened and enticed her. The more she thought about it, the more she thought that maybe trying to push Soris away was the wrong choice. She knew that he had never really accepted the end of their relationship, and truth be told, she knew that she hadn’t either. At the time, she knew she wasn’t capable of the kind of dedication that a deeper relationship with him would have entailed, and she had cared about him enough to admit that. But now, she was growing weaker, less sure. She was beginning to think that maybe they could make some sort of life…together after all. If they survived, and if her past would truly remain her past. She knew the Spider Queen still hunted her, and that Lolth would never give up. She didn’t know if Soris understood that.

The dragon had also given her a second bit of chilling news. The surviving members of house DeVir had been sent to Ust Natha for execution. While they had been out dealing with the cursed eye tyrant, all those that remained of her blood had been slain. She traveled now to look for one last time on what had once been her house. Adalon’s last words returned to her. You will be the last member of house DeVir. You will be the Matron Mother. It is a position of power. What will you do with it, I wonder? Viconia certainly didn’t feel very powerful. She had to hide her identity and allow another female to… It left her feeling anything but powerful. Still, she now was the Matron Mother, and she would use what was given to her, to the best of her ability. She entered the room. Bodies lined the floor. She recognized most of them. The sight was sickening.

So I am the last. House DeVir dies with me. I never thought it would come to this. I never thought I would feel so alone.

The bodies lay there, stark and cold. The looks of fear were still engraved on their faces. It was horrifying. The Drow within her spoke:

That could have been you, but you are stronger than they. You still live. You have won!

No, I have lost. I am alive, but I am no longer Drow. I have survived by growing weak, learning the surface ways. I hide from my own people. I run from my fate.”

But…You are here. You have an opportunity. Seize it!

Viconia let the voice go. It faded into the gloom. Everything was so overwhelming. She remembered a night that seemed so long ago now. She had felt a similar feeling then, but then…there had been Soris. She had spent that night in his arms and had never felt safer, more complete. Now she had the very thing she used to dream about, and she had never felt more alone. She had made a choice and had chosen wrong. She was glad Soris was not here, watching her. She did not want him to see her…not like this. He had seen her weakness, but this was different…Her tears began to flow. She could no longer hold them back. She covered her face in her hands. She felt alone. Completely alone. What she wouldn’t give to have him there, to hold her, to loan her his strength, just to make it through.

Soris followed the figure through the darkness of the tavern. The building was huge. He hoped that he could remember all of the twists and turns, so that he could find his way back later, but he really didn’t worry about it. He followed until the figure stopped in a large room. Bodies lined the floor, their faces twisted into grotesque visages, worthy of gargoyles. He couldn’t imagine the deaths they experienced. Shivers ran through his body. Will I look like that before this is all over? Images of illithid slaves coursed through his mind. He pushed them away. He still wasn’t strong enough to address what had been done to him. It hurt too much, and left him feeling numb and empty. He focused his attention on the figure that was now taking in the grisly scene within the room. The figure reached up and threw back the hood of her cloak. Silver-white hair spilled out, radiant in the gloom. Viconia! He didn’t know what would have brought her here, but he wished he did. She stood there for several moments in silence. For Soris, the silence seemed like an eternity. Her hands rose to here face and her shoulders shook. She was crying. He ached to go and put his arms around her, to comfort her and tell her things would work out, but he couldn’t lie to her. He was certain that they wouldn’t be. He stood there, helpless as he watched the Viconia he knew fade away into the surrounding gloom. His world came crashing down around him.

Jaheira sighed. Neither Soris nor Viconia looked as if they had slept…at all. Both of them looked as if they had other things on their minds. They were supposed to meet with Phaere, but Jaheira wasn’t sure their fearless leaders were in any shape to deal with the Drow female. Jaheira managed to catch Soris’ eye during breakfast.

“What do we do today? Should we see what Phaere wants?”

“What? Oh…I guess so. It doesn’t really matter.”

“Doesn’t matter? Soris, I thought we had covered this. You are our leader. You cannot afford to be indecisive, especially now.”

“Fine! I delegate the responsibility for today to you. I don’t care what we do. I just don’t want to think about it.”

Jaheira fixed him with a level stare. “We will meet with Phaere this afternoon. I suggest you get some rest before then. You look as if you need it.” He glared at her, but said nothing. Instead, he tried to catch Viconia’s eye, but she would not even look up. He missed her humor, and…her strength. Some days, she was the only thing that kept him going. Now, he just didn’t care…he wanted to crawl in a hole and die. What happened last night? Who were those people? Where is the woman I love?

Whispers of Bhaal began to play across his mind. She’s gone. She died with her people yesterday. Why don’t you just give in? It would be sooo much easier.

Those were her people, house DeVir?

Yes, I thought that would be perfectly obvious if you were as close as you thought you were.

Soris slammed his mug down on the table. It shattered. Other patrons began to stare. “I’m going out.” He directed his comment to Jaheira and rose to head for the door. He was surprised to see that Viconia rose to go with him. She said nothing, just followed him out into the streets of Ust Natha.

Outside the inn, Viconia felt better. She felt awkward standing with Soris, without telling him. She knew he could see that something was different, but he wouldn’t understand. He would try to comfort her. She didn’t need comfort; she needed strength. That was what he would never understand. Still, she found she didn’t like keeping…this from him. She kept walking.

“I don’t know how to say this. I know that we have had difficulties. I want you to know. No matter what it is. I still love you, and Vicnoia DeVir nothing will change that. Nothing.”

The intensity of his response started her and left her speechless. She waited for him to say more, to ask her to explain, but he simply walked beside her in silence. Thank you, Soris. I don’t know how, but you understand. I don’t think I can ever understand you, but thank you. She knew her feelings betrayed her weakness, but at that moment, she didn’t care.

“Hey. I didn’t notice this shop yesterday. What’s in here?” He ducked passed the threshold before Viconia could say anything.

Great, she thought. Slavers. This isn’t going to be pretty.

Upset didn’t begin to describe the state Soris was in. It had been bad enough when he had discovered that the shop he had entered sold slaves, but since he was posing as a Drow, she had thought that they just might escape without a scene. And they might have, if it hadn’t been there. It looked like a little, white tiger. Soris called it an Asveraldi. He said they had been created a long time ago as companions for sorcerers such as himself. He maintained that they were noble creatures and intelligent. He refused to leave the little beast here, not when he could see that it was starved, beaten, and tortured. It had taken all of her skill in negotiation to convince him to leave without killing the Drow slaver. They had purchased the cub using Phaere’s status in house Despanna, and Viconia hoped Phaere didn’t find out. She knew the Drow woman would never approve. Still, Soris seemed reasonably content, now. As they walked back to the tavern to meet with the rest of the party, Viconia felt better. She knew she wasn’t normal, but somehow, things seemed more manageable after her walk with Soris.

Soris was still fuming, but at least the cub was safe. It wouldn’t talk to him because it was still too afraid after its horrible treatment, but he hoped it would come around. A voice sounded in his head.

You are not a bad one?

No, little one I am not…not entirely.

You won’t hurt me?

No, not if I can help it.

Good. What are you called?

Soris. What’s your name?

I don’t have a name. Names are for people. We don’t need names.

Soris got the impression that the cub would be sticking his tongue out, if it could, and he decided that the picture fit one of his favorite characters from Gorion’s stories.

Very well, I shall call you Eric, after Eric the Cavalier. He was a favorite character of mine when I was little. You remind me of him.

Call me whatever you want, just make sure my meals are on time, and we should get along.

Soris didn’t know how to respond to that. Ahhh…I suppose I can do that, but I have a couple of things to do first.

The cub “hurmphed” and settled down in Soris’ backpack for a nap until dinnertime.

The gnomes, this should be easy. They’ll probably cooperate without any bloodshed. All I have to do is get rid of Solaufein. Soris knew the Drow was less than pleased to be sent on this particular mission, so Soris hope he might be able to convince him that his presence wasn’t really necessary. When they finally came to a stop, Soris put his plan into action.

“Solaufein, this is hardly a task that needs both of us. I mean, they’re just gnomes. If you wish, I think we could handle this.”

The Drow nodded. “Thank you, Veldrin. I was not relishing this particular task. I will return to the city and meet you when you return. That way, you will not face Phaere alone.”

He left. Viconia spat on the ground where he had stood. “Now the wael wants to take credit for an act he does not do. The gall! Why did you give him such a proposal?”

“I don’t want to kill the gnomes. I think I can bargain with them, but I can’t do so if anyone from the city is present. It would blow our cover.”

Viconia was not pleased, but she accepted his decision, and the gnomes proved to be no problem at all. Before long, they had delivered their message, received the helmet, and had returned to the city to meet with Solaufein and Phaere. She was pleased to have the task swiftly accomplished and dismissed everyone for a period of recreation, with the stipulation that Soris was to meet her in her quarters later on that evening.

The party returned to the tavern and relaxed for the remainder of the afternoon. Soris spent his time worrying over what Phaere could possibly desire of him. He was afraid he knew, and he was afraid of how Viconia would react.

Viconia was having similar thoughts. Her quarters. Thinking of Soris with Phaere produced an uncomfortable burning feeling. She tried to push it aside, but could not. She told herself that Soris was strong, and that he would not fall for Phaere’s wiles. She was afraid, however. She knew how persuasive Drow females could be.

When the time came, Soris insisted that they all go to Phaere’s quarters. Viconia was relieved that he wanted further support, but alarmed that he did not feel up to the task of confronting the female himself.

When they arrived at the door to Phaere’s quarters, Soris’ heart was pounding. He stepped through the door to Phaere’s quarters and tried to show a confidence he didn’t feel. He knew it wouldn’t fool Viconia, but he hope he wasn’t so transparent that Phaere would see through him as well. He almost leaped when Phaere began to speak.

“Relax. If I had summoned you to pleasure me, you would be stripped and sweating already. As…enticing as that prospect is, I have something else in mind. I have plans, but before those can move forward, I need one more thing accomplished.”

“What is it that, my mistress?”

“Good, your words show promise. I will trust you, for now.”

“As I’m sure you’ve noticed, you are reasonably intelligent for a male, Solaufein and I have had dealings in the past. He could prove dangerous to me. I want him removed. I cannot do this myself. If the act were traced to me, it could ruin House Despanna. You, however, are a nobody, and no serious consequences would result if you were to perform the act. Besides, doing so would earn you the support of a powerful female in a powerful house, as well as…other benefits.” She raked her fingers seductively across his chest and finished with an alluring smile that did not touch her eyes. They glimmered like cold, black iron.

The effect chilled Soris to the very marrow of his bones. Her actions utterly disgusted and repulsed him, but Phaere interpreted his reaction in an entirely different light. She smiled again. “Good. Bring me his cloak to prove you have done the deed. It should make a fitting addition to my wardrobe, and then, my darling Veldrin, you shall have your reward…”

“…Yes, my mistress.” He barely choked the words out.

“Now go quickly and bring about my success.”

As he turned to go, she slid her hand down his body and squeezed him between the legs. She gave him the same cold smile before she let go. It hurt, and he felt sick and somehow corrupted. When this was all over, he was going to take a long, hot bath.

Another voice suddenly chimed in, giggling. With the pretty lady to wash you?

Yes, with the pretty lady…
Soris was happy to turn his thoughts to Viconia. What? Where did you..? Who is the pretty lady?

The voice laughed again. Eric. You always think about her. Even when you are supposed to be feeding me.

When I am not?

Now your talking. She looks at you when she knows you’re not looking.

I know, but things aren’t that easy.

Sure they are. All you have to do is…
The image he gave made Soris want to blush, and Eric knew he had him.

Enough, little one. We have a job to do.

Yes, one for the icky lady, but then we eat.

Yes, then we eat.
Soris sighed. Eric was absolutely impossible.

Eric sighed. Things were not going to be as easy as he had thought. He knew Soris liked the pretty lady and that she liked him, but they seemed bound and determined to stay separated. He had his work cut out for him. He settled down in Soris’ backpack to plan.

The party walked through the city’s streets until they arrived at Solaufein’s quarters. Imoen was still skeptical about their mission.

“You’re not actually going to kill him, are you? I mean, Solaufein is the most civil Drow I’ve met besides Vic, and I can’t believe you’re gonna wack him just because Phaere says so. She gives me the creeps.”

“I don’t intend to do anything for Phaere, and I’m not going to kill Solaufein. I can’t believe you would think I would do that.”

“I don’t know, Soris. I didn’t think you would, but lately…you’ve been acting a little strange.”

Soris sighed heavily. “I know. Things have been rough lately.

“Don’t I know it. Hang in there. We’ll make it through.” Imoen gave him a little slap on the shoulder. Her optimism was refreshing. His mood brightened somewhat. “And I’m glad you aren’t going to kill him. I think he’s kind of cute.” Imoen grinned sheepishly and looked away, trying to hid the pink coloring her face was rapidly adopting. Soris thought he heard a muttered “Torm save us,” as they stepped across the threshold.

Solaufein was surprised to see them. “Now what does she want? I was given leave, and I don’t think you came to see me on your own accord.” He scowled.

Soris spoke, “I am here from Phaere, but it is not about your choice of recreational activities. She wants me to kill you, but I don’t think I can do it.”

“Don’t think?” Solaufein chuckled. “That’s not a very Drow-like expression. You aren’t from around here, are you?” His eye held a wry twinkle that Soris had not seen in any other Drow besides Viconia. He liked it, and he felt he could trust Solaufein. He had never been sure about that before. Just like Viconia, however, Soris did not understand the Drow’s sense of humor. There was absolutely nothing funny about the current situation.

“No…no, we aren’t from around here. Most of us were born on the surface. In fact, only Viconia is really Drow.” A collective gasp rose from the party behind him as he relayed the information. Eric snickered. None of them saw that one coming. The big man almost dropped Boo.

Solaufein seemed unphased by the revelation. “I thought as much. You’ve made several mistakes, nothing I think Phaere has noticed. She seems a bit preoccupied with other things.”

Soris breathed a sigh of relief. “You are very perceptive. Is that why she wants you dead?”

“No, not really, and unfortunately not.” Solaufein grinned again. “When we were both younger, Phaere and I were involved. Her mother thought we were showing most un-Drow like feelings and sent her to the handmaidens. They tortured her with tentacled rods in ways I can’t even imagine. When they were done, all that was left was her ambition. It is that ambition that is threatened by me. Destroying me will destroy the last vestige of her former weakness.”

“How awful.” Imoen was genuinely sympathetic.

Viconia wished he had not spoken of the handmaidens. Since they had arrived in the Underdark, she had had dreams of handmaidens with tentacled rods. They all had Phaere’s face, and all of the dreams ended with Soris screaming. She didn’t want to think about them and was glad when Soris spoke. His voice had is characteristic strength and determination. His mind was made up.

“Well, as I said, I’m not going to kill you. I still need your cloak, however, to prove that I have done the deed.”

“Very well, take it. I can get another, and I probably won’t need it anyways.”

Imoen’s curiosity and concern got the better of her. “Where will you go? You obviously can’t stay here.”

“Quite true, but I too, am not quite who I seem to be. I gave up Lolth long ago, and I now follow Eilistraee. I have friends who have formed their own community elsewhere. They have wanted me to join them for a long time. I think I will take them up on their offer.”

Imoen continued to question him. “Why haven’t you left already?”

Solaufein’s face became a mask of pain and he spoke quietly. “I had…I had my reasons.” He refused to say any more. The party turned to leave. As the rest of them filed out, Soris caught the Drow’s arm.

“Do you still love her?”

Solaufein nodded. Soris spoke again. “I’ll spare her if I can.”

“Do not concern yourself with it. I thought I could redeem her. I couldn’t. Nothing is left of the Phaere I love. Protect what you have. Get yours out alive and go on with your lives.” Solaufein smiled as Soris looked shocked.

“Yes, you are that obvious, to me. There aren’t many among the Drow with my experience. I won’t betray your love. Cherish it. Sometimes you only get one chance.” The Drow finished and the two men locked eyes one more time. Soris swallowed and then turned and left. Solaufein stood there, his smile slowly fading from his face. He shook his head and began gathering his things.

After they all left Solaufein, Jaheria spoke with Soris. “What did he say?” Her tone was not forceful, but inquisitive.

“I don’t think I should discuss it. It was personal.”

Jaheira nodded. She understood. She too had things, things she and Kahlid had shared that she wouldn’t want anyone else to know. At the thought of her dead husband, her eyes briefly clouded over. She quickly regained her composure, but she did not escape Soris’ noticed. He placed his hand on her shoulder. “I admire you, you know. You’ve been a role model for me for as long as I’ve known you.” Jaheira smiled sadly, and the whole group moved on.

They arrived at Phaere’s quarters and went inside. She was pleased and asked to speak with Veldrin, alone. As he followed her into her bedchamber, Viconia whispered to him. “Be strong. I know you can be.”

Soris was grateful for her faith. After they have gone, Viconia spat. “If you touch him, I will kill you. Mark my words. I swear on the name of House DeVir. If he is harmed you will wish you had never been born.”

Jaheira arched an eyebrow, but said nothing. She knew the hardship Viconia was facing. Keldorn was not so reserved. “I don’t know what you expected, with the way you treated him.”

Viconia remembered what he had gone through with his wife. He had got her back in the end. She doubted she would get Soris. Was the paladin too thick-headed to understand that? She tried to give him a venomous look, but all that came out was a look of pure anguish.

Keldorn saw her look, and for some reason thought of Maria. The connection was instantly made. He was ashamed of his actions. Viconia was Drow, but perhaps she wasn’t completely different from him. “Viconia, I am sorry.” Torm’s mercy. Now I apologize to a Drow. I’m too old for this. After this is all safely ended, my retirement is official. He meant his words, however. Keldorn Firecam was a man of honor.

Viconia returned his apology with a nod, but her eyes remain riveted to the now-sealed door of Phaere’s chamber.

“Why do you delay? Remove your robe. Or perhaps I need to properly motivate you?”

Disgusting!

I agree, but you keep quiet. If she finds you…
The little Asveraldi knew what would happen then, but he was worried about Soris.

Be careful. Don’t let her hurt you. The voice was small, afraid. The little tiger put on his most fearsome face. She’s too big for me to eat, but we can feed her to the pretty lady. She’ll help.

Gods, Viconia! What would she think?

She loves you. Don’t give in to the icky lady.[/I]

Well, Veldrin! Get moving. Not many males are presented with this opportunity. You do not want to squander it.

“Ah…Phaere…this won’t work…I mean…”

“Yes, get on with it.”

“I can’t do this.”

“Yes, you can. I order you to.”

Eric grinned. Wrong move. Nobody orders him. Not even…

“No, you don’t understand…I can’t…I…ahh…belong to another.”

“I see, if it is the female who travels with you I can deal with her rather… ”

“No. It isn’t her. I can’t name her, but it is someone else.” He felt it was a long shot, but he would not put Viconia in danger. He made his voice cold and his heart hard. “I don’t know why you would think I would find one as pathetic as her attractive.”

Phaere laughed. “That’s more the spirit. Now, have you been collared by a handmaiden?”

He remained silent.

“I see.” Her smile grew vicious. “This is going to be interesting. Fun for me, I think.” She pulled out a short, whip like device. A tentacled rod. Soris felt the blinding agony tear into him as the barbs on the rod tore through the skin on his back. The pain paralyzed him, left him helpless in Phaere’s hands. The pain was overwhelming. He screamed until he thought his lungs would burst. “What is her name? Tell me, and this will all be over.”

He refused. He would not betray Viconia. Phaere went on and on. He thought the night would never end.

“Get up! Your performance last night was pathetic.” The rod stung him again, but he didn’t have the strength to rise. Every muscle burned, and his back was a raw, red mess. He bit his tongue to keep from moaning.

“You have an audience with the Matron Mother in two hours. I expect you to be presentable. Be there with your companions.” Phaere left. He dragged himself out of the bed and pulled on his robe. It was, surprisingly, clean, but the rest of the room was covered in blood. He tried to remember the night before, but it was all blurred by the pain, and when Phaere had…

You did not tell her what she wanted to know. She took everything else from you, but you did not give in. It soured her experience. She did hurt you, badly. You should see pretty Viconia. She will help you. Eric’s voice was full of pride. His Soris had proved his strength.

“No!” Soris’ voice was a rasp. “She must not know. Phaere took the one thing, the one thing I intended only for…for Viconia. I failed.”

You did not fail. She took it from you. You did not give it. It only counts if it is freely given. We’ll go get something to eat. We’ll both feel better then.

I don’t think I’ll feel better, ever.

You will. You’ll see.

Soris grabbed his staff, and leaning heavily on it he stepped out into the harsh world. Behind him followed a small tiger, eyes dripping menace for anyone who would harm his Soris.

Viconia stared at her food. She wasn’t hungry, but she knew she should eat to keep her strength up. It would not do for her to fail them when she was needed. Not that she really cared any more. She understood now. Keldorn had been right. What she didn’t understand was why Soris would have chosen Phaere. He didn’t, he couldn’t like her. Imoen couldn’t even find anything nice to say about her. Viconia knew she shouldn’t let something like this bother her. She had been betrayed before, but it had never hurt like this. She hated herself. The betrayal wasn’t Soris’. It was hers. She had had her chance, and she had blown it. She was angry at herself. She was angry with Soris. All of that vanished as he stepped through the door.

He looked horrible. His hair was a matted mess, and his face was pale, almost ashen. In Shar’s name! What did the elg’caress do to him?

Keldorn expressed her feelings almost perfectly. “By Torm’s hand! What has happened to you? Are you all right? Do you need healing?” The paladin looked to…Viconia. She was already on her feet.

“I am well…enough.”

Jaheira arched an eyebrow. He was not well, but she didn’t press him. Something else was wrong, and it wouldn’t get better until he was ready for it.

Soris pushed off his friend’s offers of aid, ordered some food for Eric, and sat sullenly at the table. He felt sick. The feeling of violation was stronger than ever. Phaere had taken the last thing he had of Viconia. It was all gone now. He was alone. He looked at Viconia, tried to make her understand, but she only gave him one gaze. Betrayal. He knew it, and it hurt. More than anything Irenicus, the illithids, or Phaere could do. He broke. Bhaal laughed. Now you begin to understand.

No, I don’t understand. I just don’t care any more.

Bhaal laughed again. You can’t win. Give up.

Soris was sorely tempted just to give in, to curl up and die, but one thing prevented him.

You are not alone. Never. It will take more than a mere voice to drag me away. The little tiger growled. I will stay with you, protect you, until the day you protect yourself again.

Thank you Eric, but it will be a long time.

I will be patient.

Eric’s simple words gave him hope. And that hope gave him some of his life back. He was still broken, but somehow, he found the will to go on. He trudged through the city, and stepped into the temple…

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com