The Nether Scroll Disaster: Part 8

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Silver_*

Posted 14 July 2003 - 08:25 PM

Warning: This chapter contains character death!

The Nether Scroll Disaster: Part 8

The narrow stairs went on downwards for quite some time, finally opening up into a large room with patterned tiles and a very large red dragon sitting in the middle. It watched with interest as the adventurers approached, and they looked at it with mixed reactions of shock, surprise, amazement and wonder.

“Greetings,” Benny was the first to speak as he realised that his suspicions that their enemy was not quite human had been correct. “Firkraag.”

“That’s Firkraag?” Cory stared up at the red dragon in amazement. “Really?”

“Yes, it is indeed I,” the dragon’s voice echoed through the room. “I should have known better than to think that I could fool one of your…obvious skill, Scarface.” He turned and addressed Kane. “You have come as I wanted, Bhaalspawn. It has been an interesting game, but to tell the truth, I tire of it.”

“So do I,” Kane narrowed his eyes, his fingers absently circling the hilt of his sword. “Why have you done this, Firkraag? Why have you forced this confrontation?”

“For my amusement and my curiosity more than anything,” Firkraag admitted. “I know what you are, Kane Theaza, and I thought that you may be an interesting subject to study. I could keep you here if I desired, but there is something else I’m interested in. Your conflict with Irenicus. Yes…that is something that I should very much like to see.”

“What do you know of Irenicus?” Kane demanded. “Answer me, Firkraag! What do you know of that sadist?”

“Nothing that you do not already know yourself,” a low rumble of laughter broke from the dragon’s chest. “I have no dealings with the creature, I am merely interested in your dealings with him. Now that will be something to see. You can go now.”

“You trick and manipulate us for your own purposes and then expect us to walk away?” Now it was Kane’s turn to laugh, hardly able to believe what he was hearing. “No, Firkraag, that is not the way it works. Not with me.”

“Come now,” Firkraag shook his large head. “I know of you, I have heard many tales of your past deeds and I don’t doubt that you are a very powerful warrior. As is your friend Scarface, one of the most famous assassins in Faerun, or so they say. But do you really think yourselves powerful enough to beat me?”

“Rather overconfident, aren’t you?” Viconia sneered. “Many have underestimated us and fallen.”

“But they were not I,” Firkraag pointed out. “I have given you the chance to walk away and I would advise you to take it if you wish to live to fight another day. Think carefully on this.”

“That’s not the way I work, Firkraag!” There was a faint hiss of steel as Kane pulled his swords from their scabbards. “You manipulated me and my party for your own purposes and I dislike being used like that! I swear that you’ll regret the day you decided to mess me!”

“As you like,” the dragon sounded vaguely amused. “I suppose I should have expected nothing else. Let us battle.”

Unlike their battle with the shadow dragon, the adventurers had little chance to prepare themselves and this put them at an instant disadvantage as Firkraag brought up several protection spells before attacking them. Edwina protected herself from fire, threw out a few spells to strip Firkraag of his spell protection and then stood back in a corner of the room and bombarded the dragon with a constant stream of magic missiles. The warriors, including Viconia, did as they had done in the last dragon battle and surrounded the beast, hitting it with everything they had. Unfortunately they soon discovered that Firkraag was even tougher than the shadow dragon had been and most of their weapons did little more than mild scratches. The dragon seemed more amused than angry by their attempts and was obviously holding back on his attacks, at least until Yoshimo stuck his sword through his wing and Korgan did some damage to one of his legs. Then Firkraag began to get angry.

Using his wing attack, the dragon knocked Kane, Benny and Viconia off their feet and sent them crashing into the wall before sending a fireball after them. The two men just managed to roll out of the way in time, although Viconia got slightly burnt on her side. With the three of them temporarily out of the way, he swung his heavy tail at Yoshimo, who tried to duck but didn’t quite manage it. It caught the bounty hunter on the side of the head and he flew across the room, crashing into the rocky wall. There was the sound of snapping bone; then he dropped to the ground and didn’t move.

As Kane and Benny came back into the battle, Firkraag used another wing attack, this time on Kagain and Korgan, who had previously been attacking him from the side. As the dwarves hit the wall, he swung his tail again and knocked down one of the pillars, sending it crashing onto their heads.

“I’m running out of spells!” Edwina called over, sending another round of magic missiles slamming into Firkraag’s side. The dragon visibly flinched, although he had the upper hand in the fight, he had still taken a fair bit of damage. “My magic isn’t going to last much longer!”

“We can’t win!” Cory shouted desperately, just dodging Firkraag’s claws as the dragon swiped at him. “We’ve got to get out of here, Kane!”

“Not a chance!” their leader said at once. “Kane Theaza never runs from a battle. You run if you like, but I’ll destroy Firkraag or die trying!”

“You always were a stubborn bastard!” Viconia yelled at him, ducking as the dragon decided to turn his attention to her. “You know that we won’t leave you!”

“Stop shouting and keep fighting!” Benny ordered. “Don’t let your guard down, just concentrate on what you’re doing!”

Firkraag chose that moment to target the shapeshifter with another wing attack, and this time Benny left his sword where it had fallen and took out one of his many daggers. If things went on as they were, he knew that they would probably all end up getting killed and he didn’t plan on letting that happen. He waited until Firkraag brought his head down to snap at Kane, aimed carefully and then threw it. The dagger, covered in powerful poison, hit directly in the Firkraag’s eye and the dragon threw his head back and roared in pain. Taking his time, aiming carefully, Benny then did the same to Firkraag’s other eye. With the dragon blinded and in great pain, the powerful poison hurting his body from the inside, the adventurers grouped together and made one last attack. Firkraag tried his best to fight back, but it was useless and a moment or two later, he finally fell.

“That,” Kane started as he slumped against the wall and tried to get his breath back, “was one good battle!”

“Yes,” Cory agreed. “Good but dangerous.”

“Thank the gods that someone is capable of thinking on their feet,” Viconia slipped her arms around Benny’s waist and gave him a quick kiss. “Blinding the dragon, that was a clever idea.”

“It was nothing,” the assassin gently pushed her away and turned to the others. “The situation was getting pretty desperate and so I just did what I had to do. Kane, are you all right? Edwina, Cory?”

“Fine,” Kane told him and the other two nodded. They were tired, damp with sweat and bruised from being repeatedly thrown again the wall, but none of them had received any serious injuries. “Oh Talos!” he cursed suddenly. “Yoshimo and the dwarves. Benny, see to Yoshimo, the rest of you come and help me dig out Kagain and Korgan.”

The rubble that had been the pillar wasn’t very deep and it didn’t take them long to reach the two dwarves. Korgan was awake, although very groggy, and Kagain was still unconscious. Cory helped Korgan to his feet and Kane lifted Kagain, silently thanking the gods that he wasn’t too heavy.

“Yoshimo?” he asked Benny, who had left Yoshimo where he lay and come back over to join them. But he already knew what the assassin was going to say.

“Dead,” Benny shrugged, his eyes emotionlessly. “I reckon that blow he took broke his neck. From the looks of it, there’s nothing that can be done for him…”

“Very well,” Kane glanced briefly at the unconscious dwarf in his arms, his expression as emotionless as that of his teacher. They had both seen too much death in their lives to be particularly affected even by the passing of one of their companions. “It was going to happen to one of us sooner or later, I suppose. Not pleasant, but death comes for us all at some point. At the moment, I’m more concerned with the living. Let’s just get out of here before anything else happens.”

Next Part: Kane’s actions drive Edwina dangerously close to the edge…but will his companions realise it in time to stop her doing something stupid?

#2 Guest_Bjorn_*

Posted 14 July 2003 - 08:49 PM

:) Hope it isn't Cory.

“Nothing that you do not already know yourself,” a low rumble of laughter broke from the dragon’s chest. “I have no dealings with the creature, I am merely interested in your dealings with him. Now that will be something to see. You can go now.”

Evil though Firkraag is, I actually quite like him - he's one of the more interesting villains you meet in the game.

“Come now,” Firkraag shook his large head. “I know of you, I have heard many tales of your past deeds and I don’t doubt that you are a very powerful warrior. As is your friend Scarface, one of the most famous assassins in Faerun, or so they say. But do you really think yourselves powerful enough to beat me?”

Heh, he's pretty arrogant but then so is Kane. Can't see kane letting himself be intimidated.

“That’s not the way I work, Firkraag!” There was a faint hiss of steel as Kane pulled his swords from their scabbards. “You manipulated me and my party for your own purposes and I dislike being used like that! I swear that you’ll regret the day you decided to mess me!”

:) From the sound of it though it'll be Kane who regrets it.

“We can’t win!” Cory shouted desperately, just dodging Firkraag’s claws as the dragon swiped at him. “We’ve got to get out of here, Kane!”

good plan in theory, but escaping might not be so easy especially if some of the party are already incapacitated.

“Stop shouting and keep fighting!” Benny ordered. “Don’t let your guard down, just concentrate on what you’re doing!”

Yep, this definitely isn't the time for arguing.

Firkraag chose that moment to target the shapeshifter with another wing attack, and this time Benny left his sword where it had fallen and took out one of his many daggers. If things went on as they were, he knew that they would probably all end up getting killed and he didn’t plan on letting that happen. He waited until Firkraag brought his head down to snap at Kane, aimed carefully and then threw it. The dagger, covered in powerful poison, hit directly in the Firkraag’s eye and the dragon threw his head back and roared in pain. Taking his time, aiming carefully, Benny then did the same to Firkraag’s other eye. With the dragon blinded and in great pain, the powerful poison hurting his body from the inside, the adventurers grouped together and made one last attack. Firkraag tried his best to fight back, but it was useless and a moment or two later, he finally fell.

Yay!

“That,” Kane started as he slumped against the wall and tried to get his breath back, “was one good battle!”

:(

Bet Nalia will be impressed, though :wink:

“It was nothing,” the assassin gently pushed her away and turned to the others. “The situation was getting pretty desperate and so I just did what I had to do. Kane, are you all right? Edwina, Cory?”

Good. If one of those three or Benny had died it would have been very depressing.

“Dead,” Benny shrugged, his eyes emotionlessly. “I reckon that blow he took broke his neck. From the looks of it, there’s nothing that can be done for him…”

:) Poor Yoshi.

“Very well,” Kane glanced briefly at the unconscious dwarf in his arms, his expression as emotionless as that of his teacher. They had both seen too much death in their lives to be particularly affected even by the passing of one of their companions. “It was going to happen to one of us sooner or later, I suppose. Not pleasant, but death comes for us all at some point. At the moment, I’m more concerned with the living. Let’s just get out of here before anything else happens.”

Guess they haven't really known Yoshi for all that long, anyway.

Nice chapter :(

#3 Laufey

Posted 14 July 2003 - 09:32 PM

“Greetings,” Benny was the first to speak as he realised that his suspicions that their enemy was not quite human had been correct. “Firkraag.”

None other.

“For my amusement and my curiosity more than anything,” Firkraag admitted. “I know what you are, Kane Theaza, and I thought that you may be an interesting subject to study. I could keep you here if I desired, but there is something else I’m interested in. Your conflict with Irenicus. Yes…that is something that I should very much like to see.”

You won't be seeing anything for much longer, lizard.

“But they were not I,” Firkraag pointed out. “I have given you the chance to walk away and I would advise you to take it if you wish to live to fight another day. Think carefully on this.”

No, he wouldn't walk away, would he?

Oh, nice! Very nice!

“Yoshimo?” he asked Benny, who had left Yoshimo where he lay and come back over to join them. But he already knew what the assassin was going to say.

Aww... :wink:

Let's hope so. But don't forget to collect those scales...

Next Part: Kane’s actions drive Edwina dangerously close to the edge…but will his companions realise it in time to stop her doing something stupid?

We seem to be coinciding here. My Edwina is also about to come dangerously close to the brink...
Rogues do it from behind.

#4 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 15 July 2003 - 01:27 PM

“Yes, it is indeed I,” the dragon’s voice echoed through the room. “I should have known better than to think that I could fool one of your…obvious skill, Scarface.” He turned and addressed Kane. “You have come as I wanted, Bhaalspawn. It has been an interesting game, but to tell the truth, I tire of it.”

Bored to death, Firkraag?

You are dismissed, puny human. Gotta love the arrogance of those Wyrm's...

“You trick and manipulate us for your own purposes and then expect us to walk away?” Now it was Kane’s turn to laugh, hardly able to believe what he was hearing. “No, Firkraag, that is not the way it works. Not with me.”

I suspected as much.

Kane's attitude will probably be his own death one day... though the scribe will of course not allow it to happen :wink:

“As you like,” the dragon sounded vaguely amused. “I suppose I should have expected nothing else. Let us battle.”

Yeah, let us dance!

Pfew... I counted three dead so far... :(

“Thank the gods that someone is capable of thinking on their feet,” Viconia slipped her arms around Benny’s waist and gave him a quick kiss. “Blinding the dragon, that was a clever idea.”

Shouldn't you be healing the wounded, drow?

The rubble that had been the pillar wasn’t very deep and it didn’t take them long to reach the two dwarves. Korgan was awake, although very groggy, and Kagain was still unconscious. Cory helped Korgan to his feet and Kane lifted Kagain, silently thanking the gods that he wasn’t too heavy.

Well, the dwarves are ok, so it's...

Cold, but I was not expecting anything else... :(

#5 Weyoun

Posted 15 July 2003 - 11:17 PM

Oh, sounds exciting. :)

“What do you know of Irenicus?” Kane demanded. “Answer me, Firkraag! What do you know of that sadist?”

Well, he knows his name... :)

Unlike their battle with the shadow dragon, the adventurers had little chance to prepare themselves and this put them at an instant disadvantage as Firkraag brought up several protection spells before attacking them. Edwina protected herself from fire, threw out a few spells to strip Firkraag of his spell protection and then stood back in a corner of the room and bombarded the dragon with a constant stream of magic missiles. The warriors, including Viconia, did as they had done in the last dragon battle and surrounded the beast, hitting it with everything they had. Unfortunately they soon discovered that Firkraag was even tougher than the shadow dragon had been and most of their weapons did little more than mild scratches. The dragon seemed more amused than angry by their attempts and was obviously holding back on his attacks, at least until Yoshimo stuck his sword through his wing and Korgan did some damage to one of his legs. Then Firkraag began to get angry.

Well, you can try to talk to him just before his circle goes red. It'll give you a big advantage. :cry:

Using his wing attack, the dragon knocked Kane, Benny and Viconia off their feet and sent them crashing into the wall before sending a fireball after them. The two men just managed to roll out of the way in time, although Viconia got slightly burnt on her side. With the three of them temporarily out of the way, he swung his heavy tail at Yoshimo, who tried to duck but didn’t quite manage it. It caught the bounty hunter on the side of the head and he flew across the room, crashing into the rocky wall. There was the sound of snapping bone; then he dropped to the ground and didn’t move.

Uh-oh...I guess this is the character death.

As Kane and Benny came back into the battle, Firkraag used another wing attack, this time on Kagain and Korgan, who had previously been attacking him from the side. As the dwarves hit the wall, he swung his tail again and knocked down one of the pillars, sending it crashing onto their heads.

“I’m running out of spells!” Edwina called over, sending another round of magic missiles slamming into Firkraag’s side. The dragon visibly flinched, although he had the upper hand in the fight, he had still taken a fair bit of damage. “My magic isn’t going to last much longer!”

Roaring fight!

“Not a chance!” their leader said at once. “Kane Theaza never runs from a battle. You run if you like, but I’ll destroy Firkraag or die trying!”

Well, he's either overconfident or dumb.

Laska : Just like me! :lol:

Indeed!

Erm, no mourning? No regrets? No burials?

Great stuff,
---Weyoun
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com