When Wolves Cry: part 1

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_H'kira the Wolf_*

Posted 23 June 2003 - 03:21 PM

When Wolves Cry 1: Love Me When I’m Gone

So hold me when I'm here, right me when I'm wrong.
Hold me when I'm scared and love me when I'm gone.
Everything I am and everything in me
Wants to be the one you wanted me to be.
I'll never let you down even if I could.
I'd give up everything if only for your good.

-Love me when I’m gone, Three Doors Down

Vexk… a part of her had once answered to that name. She longed for something, ached for freedom. She could picture it, perfection. The cold tugging at her fur, the snow clinging to it. Breath steaming, a luminous white cloud lingering in the frigid air. Paws tearing the cold earth, and yet, she feared that she would never run free like that again, never howl a joyous symphony to the night sky or watch the darkness give way as the sun rose over the hills.

Chills wracked her body and she allowed herself to shift. The fluid change warmed her and eased her aching muscles. To be a wolf, it was a joy beyond all joys, a wondrous luxury that the masked mage could not take away, even if he did exploit it. She rested her muzzle on her paws and closed her gray eyes, wishing she could just fall asleep, but in either form, the wolf’s senses were with her, and in this place, the scents were nauseating and the sounds worse.

She thought of her sister, her twin, Shanka, so beautiful even in the midst of all this hell, still herself. She could picture her, still, as if she was right here beside her. Her short fiery red hair would still be messy, the bandana Khalid had given her still wrapped around her head. Her smoky gray eyes would be warm and she would smile, the simple action lighting up her aquiline face. Shanka would slip an arm around her furred shoulders and tell her that everything would be alright. And she’d believe her, life would go on.

The truth of the matter was that she had not seen her sister in days. So much had changed since they had begun their travels. So many things had gone wrong. And now her own mortality came crashing down on her. For days now she had been able to sense the wrongness in the core of her being, worse yet, she knew that if not cured her death was certain. And there was no known cure for what she had been exposed to.

She had been forced to fight another werewolf. One that had the Hunter’s Madness. Two choices had been put to her, do nothing and die, or fight for your life and die. She had chosen the latter, and one bite from the other had sealed her fate. The lycanthropic disease could only be passed to werebeasts, but as it progressed, it caused bouts of madness. She could kill, maim, or destroy, and not be under her own control. If she survived the madness, all that awaited her was a slow, painful death from the illness.

The sound of footsteps coming nearer caught her attention. The canine breathed in the dank, damp air of the dungeon and vented a howl. She felt deep satisfaction in the echoes of her cry.

“Don’t get too melodramatic on me, Vexk,” the voice came like light on the darkest of days. The wolf looked up to see a bedraggled half-elven woman, her spiky red hair just as tussled as ever. Grey eyes looked back at her. The door swung open and in one moment, Vexk had shifted and risen to hug her sister. She took a moment to greet the others, namely giving Jaheira and Imoen a brief hug and then getting her ribs crushed by Minsc.

“Child…” Jaheira ran her fingers gently over angry red furrows on Vexk’s shoulder. Tears made by the fangs of another werewolf.

“Don’t, Jaheira,” she managed, trying desperately to ignore the aching pain that such a light touch had caused. Her gray eyes caught the druid’s worrisome look. Vexk feigned a smile and ran a hand through her black dreadlocks.

“Let’s blast this joint,” Shanka said, gaining the sentiments of the rest of the group.

Shanka walked right into the room, not caring or seeming to notice the large golem standing like a sentry before her.

“Our stuff’s in here, sis,” she said, rummaging through a large wooden chest, “Well some of it is.”

Shanka managed to find her own armor, a work of art and war in blue-gray leather, a pair of short-swords, which, though they might not be hers, would suffice. Vexk’s swords were another finding, two long-swords, the metal black and cold, howling wolves carved into the hilts, and the small silver dagger that her sister always carried. Aside from that, there were a few normal weapons and some suits of ordinary armor. Each armed themselves with what would best suit them, and soon they were off again.

She wondered what had happened to Vexk, the pure primal energy with which she carried herself still present, but those gray eyes were so…cold, almost broken, like a person who has seen all their hopes and dreams, and then watched as they were dashed upon the rocks.

They were different, that she admitted. Whereas Vexk had long black hair, in dreadlocks to be exact, her own hair was short, flamboyantly red, and spiky. Vexk was a warrior, she was a rogue, a swashbuckler. She shuddered to think of the possibility that her sister could have chosen to be a paladin, now that would have been disastrous.

Shanka looked at her sister again, Vexk was a bit taller than her, her black dreadlocks falling to the middle of her back. Her black tunic was sleeveless, baring the intricate swirling tribal patterns tattooed on her biceps and wrists, though not visible at the moment, the same pattern decorated the half-elf’s ankles. Vexk was like a wild creature, all the fierceness and intelligence of a wolf, the strength and senses, wrapped up in a half-elven woman. The twins were alike in that they had gray eyes and were female, but that was practically the only similarity.

Yoshimo resisted the urge to flinch under the unnerving gray eyes of the darker sister. Shanka was polite, cordial, even cracking jokes in the dungeon, Vexk on the other hand, bewitching as she may be, disturbed him.

“When we blow this door open,” Shanka said, “Wolf, Minsc, n’ Jae go for the portals, Yoshimo and I’ll blast the ones that are flyin’ around.”

Vexk nodded, a predatory smile lighting up her half-elven features. Shanka opened the door, and in they went.

Yoshimo watched somewhat slack-jawed as Vexk…changed. The slight half-elven woman shifted fluidly into a werewolf. The creature was black-furred, and had the same gray eyes as she had in her normal form. The canine beast leapt upon a portal, rending it asunder with wicked claws and ivory fangs.

He tried to retain his surprise, and focused his attention on the mephits that were attacking them. His katana slid through them with ease and he dispatched a great number of the feathered fiends. Shanka breezed through the battlefield, dodging and slashing with her two shortswords. The swashbuckler seemed at home among the fight, using her agility and quickness to come up with some truly impressive swordsmanship.

As soon as it had begun, the battle was over. Vexk stood, still in werewolf form, blood dripping from her muzzle and claws. She was slender even in such as shifted state. Her canine visage swung toward an object and a small whine of disbelief escaped her.

It was Jaheira who spotted it next. The bloody torn carcass…what remained of her beloved Khalid. What was left of him was nailed to a table, and his clouded blue eyes gazed without sight at the ceiling, a scream frozen on his face.

“No…Khalid…” it was as much a statement as a denial. She wanted to scream, to weep, to hate. Rage crept unbidden into her soul.

“It cannot…it cannot be…” she whispered, tears forming in her green eyes. Her love…gone? dead?

Vexk raised her muzzle to the sky and gave vent to a howl of such pain and rage that it shook the other’s souls. Shanka and the rest of the party turned their attention to the scene at hand.

“Jaheira…I…” Shanka began, looking with regret at the torn remnants of the man who had been nearly a father to her.

“No…No words!” the druid snarled, “Words are nothing!”

Each of the others offered their condolences, only to be met with the same anger. Vexk alone remained silent.

The black werewolf moved forward silently, enveloping the druid in a furred embrace. Jaheira broke down, sobbing into the soft, dark fur of Vexk’s shoulder. Tears ran furrows through the werewolf’s black coat, stinging the skin beneath. A single tear burned its way down the lycanthrope’s muzzle.

We will not allow the mage to defile his remains further, Vexk sent. Jaheira managed a semi-perceptible nod, trying in vain to compose herself.

The black werewolf swung her head in Shanka’s direction and barked. Something seemed to pass between the twins. Carefully, ever so carefully, the beast eased Jaheira into a sitting position on the floor, then wrapped her thick cloak around the druid.

Shanka moved forward, piling all burnable materials around Khalid’s body. She gasped as she looked at the wall. Jars…so many jars…filled with her dear friend’s…his insides. Vexk whirled as her sister whimpered, then those cold gray eyes saw the containers. The ensuing roar of anger shook the shelves all around the room. Then, she silently moved forward, placing the jars next to the corpse, every step she took revealing the fury burning through her veins.

Shanka drew a potion she had found from her pack, handed it to Vexk, “I can’t do it, I just…”

Vexk nodded, helping Jaheira up and taking the small bottle, the twins eyes met, Vexk growled something.

The rogue nodded, taking Jaheira with her and leading the others away. Vexk looked around the room one last time.

I will miss you with every step I take, packbrother. Know this, even as you hunt the eternal forest, I will avenge your death, even if it takes me to the ends of the world. I will guard those you loved, and I shall never forget you. Forgive me for bringing you and her here, Khalid, I am…I’m sorry.

With this, the werewolf cast the burning oil upon the heap. She watched for a few moments as the flames grew higher and higher, not moving even when the jars burst from the heat. Molten glass spattered her fur, burning into her flesh.

Once more, she raised her muzzle to the sky, ignoring the intense pain. She cried out once, one last time, howling her feelings to whatever powers they might go to. Then Vexk Nimayr turned and walked out of the room. She never looked back.

Hope ya liked it.

H'kira n' the Wolf

#2 Guest_argan_*

Posted 23 June 2003 - 04:41 PM

A very good story, and a nice beginning. :)

Not to stress you or anything, but when will Demon and Druid be continued? :wink:

#3 Guest_Hunter_*

Posted 23 June 2003 - 05:08 PM

[quote]
She had been forced to fight another werewolf. One that had the Hunter’s Madness. Two choices had been put to her, do nothing and die, or fight for your life and die. She had chosen the latter, and one bite from the other had sealed her fate. The lycanthropic disease could only be passed to werebeasts, but as it progressed, it caused bouts of madness. She could kill, maim, or destroy, and not be under her own control. If she survived the madness, all that awaited her was a slow, painful death from the illness.
[/quote]

If someone does not kill her first, perhaps that would be a better fate.

[quote]
She wondered what had happened to Vexk, the pure primal energy with which she carried herself still present, but those gray eyes were so…cold, almost broken, like a person who has seen all their hopes and dreams, and then watched as they were dashed upon the rocks.
[/quote]

Looking into despair.

[quote]
Yoshimo watched somewhat slack-jawed as Vexk…changed. The slight half-elven woman shifted fluidly into a werewolf. The creature was black-furred, and had the same gray eyes as she had in her normal form. The canine beast leapt upon a portal, rending it asunder with wicked claws and ivory fangs.
[/quote]

[quote]
He tried to retain his surprise, and focused his attention on the mephits that were attacking them. His katana slid through them with ease and he dispatched a great number of the feathered fiends.

Do they have feathers.

[quote]
“No…Khalid…” it was as much a statement as a denial. She wanted to scream, to weep, to hate. Rage crept unbidden into her soul.
[/quote]

[quote]
“It cannot…it cannot be…” she whispered, tears forming in her green eyes. Her love…gone? dead?
[/quote]

The horror.

[quote]
With this, the werewolf cast the burning oil upon the heap. She watched for a few moments as the flames grew higher and higher, not moving even when the jars burst from the heat. Molten glass spattered her fur, burning into her flesh.
[/quote]

Was khalid a werewolf as well.

[quote]
Hope ya liked it.
[/quote]

I did

Try checking the link, there's an amusing little comic there, about an unlucky wolf-morph, i think you'll like it.

http://freefall.purr...400/fv00354.htm

Hunter

#4 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 23 June 2003 - 05:54 PM

The truth of the matter was that she had not seen her sister in days. So much had changed since they had begun their travels. So many things had gone wrong. And now her own mortality came crashing down on her. For days now she had been able to sense the wrongness in the core of her being, worse yet, she knew that if not cured her death was certain. And there was no known cure for what she had been exposed to.

Ah, so it is Jon's dungeon - skipped by the whole Bg1? I don't mind... after all, the romances only start in Bg2... :-)

Huh? :) So she's a goner, no matter what? That can't be!

“Don’t get too melodramatic on me, Vexk,” the voice came like light on the darkest of days. The wolf looked up to see a bedraggled half-elven woman, her spiky red hair just as tussled as ever. Grey eyes looked back at her. The door swung open and in one moment, Vexk had shifted and risen to hug her sister. She took a moment to greet the others, namely giving Jaheira and Imoen a brief hug and then getting her ribs crushed by Minsc.

At least now they can work together to leave that place.

They were different, that she admitted. Whereas Vexk had long black hair, in dreadlocks to be exact, her own hair was short, flamboyantly red, and spiky. Vexk was a warrior, she was a rogue, a swashbuckler. She shuddered to think of the possibility that her sister could have chosen to be a paladin, now that would have been disastrous.

A paladin werewolf... now that would be a grand sight... :-)

Shanka looked at her sister again, Vexk was a bit taller than her, her black dreadlocks falling to the middle of her back. Her black tunic was sleeveless, baring the intricate swirling tribal patterns tattooed on her biceps and wrists, though not visible at the moment, the same pattern decorated the half-elf’s ankles. Vexk was like a wild creature, all the fierceness and intelligence of a wolf, the strength and senses, wrapped up in a half-elven woman. The twins were alike in that they had gray eyes and were female, but that was practically the only similarity.

Theo: Oh, this Vexk sure looks... *whispers*... sexy!

Jaheira: What was that?

Theo: Err... nothing, dearest...

As soon as it had begun, the battle was over. Vexk stood, still in werewolf form, blood dripping from her muzzle and claws. She was slender even in such as shifted state. Her canine visage swung toward an object and a small whine of disbelief escaped her.

Ouch, we all know what's coming :cry:

It was Jaheira who spotted it next. The bloody torn carcass…what remained of her beloved Khalid. What was left of him was nailed to a table, and his clouded blue eyes gazed without sight at the ceiling, a scream frozen on his face.

Gods, these descriptions always make me shiver... well written though...

I'm afraid so... poor, poor Jaheira... :-)

The black werewolf moved forward silently, enveloping the druid in a furred embrace. Jaheira broke down, sobbing into the soft, dark fur of Vexk’s shoulder. Tears ran furrows through the werewolf’s black coat, stinging the skin beneath. A single tear burned its way down the lycanthrope’s muzzle.

Awwww... :)

We will not allow the mage to defile his remains further, Vexk sent. Jaheira managed a semi-perceptible nod, trying in vain to compose herself.

Ah, is only Jaheira as a druid able to communicate with Vexk in that way?

Shanka moved forward, piling all burnable materials around Khalid’s body. She gasped as she looked at the wall. Jars…so many jars…filled with her dear friend’s…his insides. Vexk whirled as her sister whimpered, then those cold gray eyes saw the containers. The ensuing roar of anger shook the shelves all around the room. Then, she silently moved forward, placing the jars next to the corpse, every step she took revealing the fury burning through her veins.

Irenicus deserves only hatred for that... even though I have some sympathy for Jonaleth's own sad story...

I will miss you with every step I take, packbrother. Know this, even as you hunt the eternal forest, I will avenge your death, even if it takes me to the ends of the world. I will guard those you loved, and I shall never forget you. Forgive me for bringing you and her here, Khalid, I am…I’m sorry.

:roll: At least they Khalid got a semi-decent funeral...

Loved this chapter, hope that they can now work to get out of this desperation...

#5 Weyoun

Posted 23 June 2003 - 10:23 PM

Vexk… a part of her had once answered to that name. She longed for something, ached for freedom. She could picture it, perfection. The cold tugging at her fur, the snow clinging to it. Breath steaming, a luminous white cloud lingering in the frigid air. Paws tearing the cold earth, and yet, she feared that she would never run free like that again, never howl a joyous symphony to the night sky or watch the darkness give way as the sun rose over the hills.

Laska : Hey, it's the lovely sisters again.

Rose : Ahum. *pats Laska on the shoulder with a heavy-looking dough-pin*

Laska : Hey, it's okay to look! :)

Shanka walked right into the room, not caring or seeming to notice the large golem standing like a sentry before her.

“Our stuff’s in here, sis,” she said, rummaging through a large wooden chest, “Well some of it is.”

Yes. Too bad we lost all the good stuff from BG1.

Vexk nodded, a predatory smile lighting up her half-elven features. Shanka opened the door, and in they went.

Nice change. :-)

Laska : A girl with a muzzle... It's a new one, I have to admit that. :-)

Once more, she raised her muzzle to the sky, ignoring the intense pain. She cried out once, one last time, howling her feelings to whatever powers they might go to. Then Vexk Nimayr turned and walked out of the room. She never looked back.

Great stuff,
---Weyoun
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#6 Guest_H'kira the Wolf_*

Posted 23 June 2003 - 11:03 PM

A very good story, and a nice beginning. :-)

Not to stress you or anything, but when will Demon and Druid be continued? :)

The next few weeks, hopefully. :-)

H'kira n' the Wolf

#7 Guest_H'kira the Wolf_*

Posted 23 June 2003 - 11:08 PM

[quote][quote]
[/quote]

If someone does not kill her first, perhaps that would be a better fate.[/quote]

*nods*

[quote][quote]
[/quote]

Looking into despair.[/quote]

Yeah, it pretty much sucks to be Vexk at this point.

[quote][quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
He tried to retain his surprise, and focused his attention on the mephits that were attacking them. His katana slid through them with ease and he dispatched a great number of the feathered fiends.

Do they have feathers.[/quote]

:) oops...no, I don't believe so...

[quote][quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
[/quote]

The horror. [/quote]

:-)

[quote][quote]
[/quote]

Was khalid a werewolf as well.[/quote]

Nope...

[quote][quote]
Hope ya liked it.
[/quote]

I did

Try checking the link, there's an amusing little comic there, about an unlucky wolf-morph, i think you'll like it.

http://freefall.purr...400/fv00354.htm

Hunter[/quote]

I checked it. Read through it for about two hours...it's addictive. Thanks, Hunter. The robot is just too much... :-) Poor Florence...

H'kira n' the Wolf

#8 Guest_H'kira the Wolf_*

Posted 23 June 2003 - 11:19 PM

Ah, so it is Jon's dungeon - skipped by the whole Bg1? I don't mind... after all, the romances only start in Bg2... :roll:

I've never actually played through BG1... :-)

Huh? :-) So she's a goner, no matter what? That can't be!

There is no *known* cure :-) I'm not about to just kill her off :D

At least now they can work together to leave that place.

*nods* The dungeon gives me the creeps...

A paladin werewolf... now that would be a grand sight... :)

The Order would never be the same :)

Theo: Oh, this Vexk sure looks... *whispers*... sexy!

Jaheira: What was that?

Theo: Err... nothing, dearest...

Vexk: *winks*

The Wolf: We didn't hear a thing, we swear!

Gorgorath: *trying to whistle innocently*

Ouch, we all know what's coming :(

Makes me feel awful every time I play through it...I always wish the PC could just give Jae a huge hug.

Gods, these descriptions always make me shiver... well written though...

Thanks...

I'm afraid so... poor, poor Jaheira... :cry:

:cry:

Awwww... :cry:

As you said, poor Jae... :cry:

Ah, is only Jaheira as a druid able to communicate with Vexk in that way?

Exactly :D

Irenicus deserves only hatred for that... even though I have some sympathy for Jonaleth's own sad story...

Absolutely true...

:cry: At least they Khalid got a semi-decent funeral...

Loved this chapter, hope that they can now work to get out of this desperation...

*nods* It'll get interesting...

Thanks,
H'kira n' the Wolf

#9 Guest_H'kira the Wolf_*

Posted 23 June 2003 - 11:24 PM

[quote][quote]
[/quote]

Laska : Hey, it's the lovely sisters again.

Rose : Ahum. *pats Laska on the shoulder with a heavy-looking dough-pin*

Laska : Hey, it's okay to look! :)[/quote]

LOL! :-)

[quote][quote]

“Our stuff’s in here, sis,” she said, rummaging through a large wooden chest, “Well some of it is.”[/quote]

Yes. Too bad we lost all the good stuff from BG1.[/quote]

Definitely stinks!

[quote][quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Nice change. :-)[/quote]

Vexk: *bows* Thank you.

[quote][quote]
[/quote]

Laska : A girl with a muzzle... It's a new one, I have to admit that. :-)[/quote]

LOL! When she's in werewolf form anyways :)

[quote][quote]
[/quote]

Great stuff,
---Weyoun[/quote]

Thanks,
H'kira n' the Wolf

#10 Guest_Hunter_*

Posted 24 June 2003 - 03:02 AM

I checked it. Read through it for about two hours...it's addictive. Thanks, Hunter. The robot is just too much... :twisted: Poor Florence...

Glad you liked it.

#11 Laufey

Posted 24 June 2003 - 04:15 AM

Really liked this beginning paragraph. :)

Oh no...I hope they will be able to get this cured soon. :D

And for good reason too. :D

LOL! Certainly would. ;)

Good description! :P

“Jaheira…I…” Shanka began, looking with regret at the torn remnants of the man who had been nearly a father to her.

The finding of Khalid practically had me in tears the first time I saw it in the game. :twisted: And I still find it heartbreaking.

:wink:

Hope ya liked it.

Sure did! :(
Rogues do it from behind.

#12 Guest_H'kira the Wolf_*

Posted 26 June 2003 - 01:15 AM

Really liked this beginning paragraph. :)

Oh no...I hope they will be able to get this cured soon. :)

Not soon, but she will be cured...

And for good reason too. :(

The last few years haven't been kind to Vexk :(

LOL! Certainly would. :?

The woman in shining plate who turns and bares her fangs at her fellows when she gets annoyed :D

Good description! :(

Thanks

The finding of Khalid practically had me in tears the first time I saw it in the game. :wink: And I still find it heartbreaking.

It's painful. I can hardly stand it when Jae starts talking in that scene...it just hurts to here someone in that much emotional pain.

:)

:)

Hope ya liked it.

Sure did! :)

Thanks,
H'kira n' the Wolf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com