Unwilling to Acquiesce – Part 17

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_No One of Consequence_*

Posted 19 June 2003 - 06:27 AM

The slaver’s stockade is in reality an old sailing ship. The wooden vessel was long ago dragged up from the beach where it had run aground to serve as a home to land bound sailors. Over time Athkatla has grown around it, locking it in to become an integral, if eccentric, part of the slums of the city. Now the ancient hulk groans and cracks and smoke pours from its roof as the flames from Nalia’s fireball take hold. Rushing down the stairs leading from the ships deck to the street comes a line of children, dressed in filthy rags and many sporting iron manacles. They are shielded from the flaming ashes falling from the ship by the sodden cloaks of Adamant, Aerie and Anomen, the garments soaked in water from the slaver’s own stores. Coming last of all from the inside of the ship is Jaheira, her body protected from the flames by her druidic arts. As she emerges onto the open deck she looks skyward, calling to the righteous powers of the air. As her entreaty grows in volume and power clouds draw across the city, black, pendulous and rain bearing. With a loud cry Jaheira throws her arms up and the clouds burst in a heavy storm of rain which pelts the roofs of the slums and cascades over gunwales that long ago forgot the sea. Slowly the pelting rain dulls down the fires and soaks the wood, preventing the flames from spreading.

The escaped slave children stand huddled in a forlorn little crowd in the rain, shepherded by the three adventurers who guided them out. They wait for a while watching the fires die down. Then Yoshimo arrives, having gone ahead to fetch the priest of Ilmater, the long suffering, from his nearby temple. Seeing what has happened, and the plight of the children, he does not hesitate to offer his temple’s meagre resources to house them. Adamant is about to thank him when Hendak appears on the street, wearing a new tunic of woven cotton. He promises to provide food and clothing for the children from the inn’s coffers, as well as promising to find their families for them. At the mention of families many of the children begin to cry, with emotional exhaustion and loss though, not with fear. Pointing out that standing in the rain is bad for the children’s health, the priest of Ilmater quickly organises them, like a mother hen gathering chicks, and leads them back to his temple. Hendak follows, attended by two of the stewards from the Copper Coronet.

“So then,” says Adamant watching the children being led away to find their homes and families. “Let us on to your family’s estates, Nalia.”

Nalia opens her mouth to thank him when Jaheira intervenes and takes him to one side. Leaning close to him, she speaks quietly.

“Do you think to rest anytime soon?” she asks.

“I rested last night.”

“That’s not what I meant.”

“What then?” asks Adamant, somewhat perplexed.

“You are not yet two full days out of that madman’s torture chambers,” explains Jaheira. “Since we emerged into the light you’ve rushed to fight for hopeless victim and lost cause that you can find.”

“That is my calling,” Adamant interjects, guardedly. He is uncertain what Jaheira’s point is.

“I don’t think so.” Jaheira shakes her head, her eyes fixed on his. “This is not about being a paladin. This is about rescuing those you can because of the ones you can’t!”

Adamant’s eyes harden, the steely blue stare meeting Jaheira’s stern gaze, but he says nothing. His mouth is fixed in a bitter frown.

“We must act rationally if we are to save Imoen,” Jaheira continues.

“I am acting rationally.”

“Don’t talk foolishness! You are driving yourself to…” Jaheira’s words are cut short by Adamant’s vehement denial.

“There is nothing foolish about my actions. I am gathering allies to our cause. Nalia’s family is high born and influential; Anomen’s order is committed to justice and righteousness; and Yoshimo…” Adamant paused momentarily, realising that he was now speaking loudly enough for the others to hear. “Well Yoshimo is just a good man to have at your side in a fray.”

Yoshi smiles brightly at this unreserved compliment, then something clouds his vision and he turns back quickly to look at the burning ship.

“And what of all these small quests you squander your gathering strength upon?” asks Jaheira, still hopeful of making Adamant see her point.

“They do not squander our strength,” argues Adamant. He quotes one of the precepts of his paladin’s code. “Do today the righteous deeds that are needed today. No good act is wasted.”

“Do not waste my time with philosophy, I am talking about your needs, and what’s best for Imoen.”

“Stop mothering me, Jaheira,” Adamant exclaims even more loudly, throwing his arms up in the air. Droplets of rain fly from his armour in a fine spray and his sodden hair falls across his eyes.

“I’m not mothering, Adamant,” Jaheira protests, softly. Unthinkingly she raises her hand to push the lock of fallen hair from his face. As she does so she meets his eyes again and there is an unguarded moment between them, a moment when much more is communicated than either is ready to say. “I…I…in the last year I have lost my greatest friend Gorion, and now my husband…my Khalid…and all I have to show for it is you, Adamant. I cannot lose you as well. I…care…for you.”

In all the time that he has known her, Jaheira has seemed to Adamant like a stern but loving aunt, or at least how he imagined such a person would be. Now, standing in the rain, water running down her hair and shoulders, her fine boned features glistening as if with tears, she seems more vulnerable than he ever imagined was possible. An errant urge to hold her sweeps over him, but he is too self disciplined to give it even a moment’s credence. Breaking contact with her eyes he looks to the others, where they stand waiting for the outcome of this painful conversation.

“Please, Jaheira, trust me. My singular aim is to see Imoen released from custody and while we have done some small favours for others, I am not confused nor uncertain. I am following the most promising path available.”

With a nod, he gathers the party and they make their way back to the inn to gather their travel kits and begin their journey to the keep of the family De’Arnise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com