...and so at last to rest... Chapter 1. Transitions

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Trefor_*

Posted 02 June 2003 - 09:29 PM

OK, I know that I got up to about part 4 before, but I was still working out some structural issues. I now know how to proceed with this. A couple of the passages in the first chapter have been posted before, sorry about that, but they make more sense (to me anyway) where I've now placed them. Oh, and I've borrowed an object from Susan Cooper's 'Dark is Rising' series. So here we go...

...and so at last to rest...

A Tale of the Bhaalspawn.

Chapter 1

Transitions

They covered her body with earth in the grove at dawn.

The druids of course were already busy choosing a successor. Not a difficult choice, she’d been clear in her wishes, but there were formalities, and the clash of scimitars and the snarls of wild beasts could be heard from some distance away. The other mourners still lingered around the grave talking quietly among themselves. There weren’t many, even so prominent a Harper as she had been; she had never been adept at casual friendship, and she had outlived most of those she cared for, her elven blood had seen to that.

The Warrior stood apart from the others lost in memory. A good life, he thought, even she would admit that in her gruff way, despite the pain of loss in her youth and the fear and doubt that still followed him wherever he went. Still, he was glad that she had not had to face losing him too. He would not have wanted her to have to bury both of them. It was just, now that she was gone… He swallowed hard and gripped her Harper pin tighter in his hand.

“Heya”. His sister peered at him worriedly. “Are you alright?” He smiled easily, falsely. He did not fool either of them. ”I’m fine, take the others back, I’ll join you soon.” He turned away. There was a slight crackling sound and then, finally, he was alone.

“So boy, what will you do now?”

The Warrior turned unsurprised. He had not known that the old man was here, but he had been expecting him. He looked much the same as always; the red robes and pointed hat, the pipe, always the caricature. Presumably it put people off guard. And ‘boy’. The Warrior had nearly as much grey hair as the old man. It was probably a matter of perspective

“Hello old friend, I wasn’t sure that you’d be here”.
“Where else would I be? She was a good friend.”
“Thank you, I know she always valued your support. When you gave here this…” He opened his hand to show the old man the pin. They both understood what that moment had meant. To all three of them.

The old man shrugged and pulled on his pipe. “If you’d wanted, you could have had one of those. We made the offer.”

“I remember. I never felt I needed it. She was the Harper. I helped her when she needed me. That always suited me fine. Besides it was you and her that offered. The others…” The other Harpers would have accepted him for her sake and at the old man’s asking, but he was never welcome. The old fears died hard, he thought. Actually they never died, as long as people remembered his name.

“What will you do now?” the old man asked.

That was the question. She was gone. He had spent so much of his life with her, and she was gone. He turned away, looked at the rising sun. It was her favourite time of day. He had often awoken at this time to find her watching him with that smile on her face. His smile.

When he turned back the old man was no longer there.

What would he do now? Jaheira was dead.

“So where to now, oh omnipresent authority figure?”
“Khalid, can you make her stop that please?” Cameron said plaintively.
Khalid just laughed and drew Jaheira closer.

They were all together in one of the apartments in the Ducal Palace. Imoen and Dynaheir had their heads together over a scroll discussing some point of magical pronunciation. Minsc was feeding Boo. Khalid and Jaheira were lounging in an overstuffed chair, his arms around her waist, her head against his chest. Cameron was reading.

“Cameron, you know p-perfectly well that I can’t stop Jaheira doing anything.” Khalid stroked her hair fondly, “All I can do if f-follow along in her wake, desperately hoping for a kindly word.” His voice had become artfully tragic.

“Stop that” she said swatting his hand.

“Yes dear, of course dear, anything you say dear.”

“Impossible man”. Cameron had caught Khalid’s eye and was trying not to laugh. “And you’re no better” she growled at him. “Anyway, before I was so rudely interrupted… I was asking about your plans. Sarevok is dead. What do you plan to do now? We’ve been here a month.”

“Did you have anything pressing?”

“We should probably visit… a friend in Waterdeep, but there’s no immediate hurry.” She looked at him closely, “What are you up to?”

Cameron handed her the book that he’d been reading.

“‘Words of Alaundo’,” she read from the cover. “And?”

“Unlike some people,” Cameron said tipping a glance at Imoen, “I’ve not just been sitting round getting fat. The Dukes let me into Peorate’s library. Someone had been there first of course, there wasn’t much left. Imoen, catch” he threw a scroll case to her, She tipped out some scrolls.

“Wow, thanks”.

After Cameron disentangled himself from her hug, he continued: “’The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his death he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown in their footsteps.’ I thought I knew all the Words of Alaundo, Gorion spent enough time making me read them.”

“Me too, boring.” Imoen groaned “But I’ve never seen this book before”.

“Neither have I, but it clearly comes from Candlekeep. That means that they have things that aren’t for everyone’s eyes. I intend to find them.

“Gorion tried to protect me by keeping this a secret. It was a good plan, but in the end it failed. Now my ignorance is dangerous, to me and to my friends.”

“What do you mean?” Imoen asked.

“Sarevok was just the first to make a move. He killed several others before he came after me. He obviously believed that killing Bhaalspawn would increase his power. Why? One of my other siblings” he spat the word out like poison, “will no doubt have similar notions. I want to know why. Some of the answers may be the books of Alaundo. I’m tired of being a step behind. I’m tired of being a pawn in someone else’s game.” He grinned, “I’m not playing and I’m going to take my ball away.”

He looked at Jaheira, “Will you come?”

“Of course. But you realise that they may not let you though the gate?”

He sighed “I know, even the book may not be enough this time, but I must try. Besides my friends,” he looked at Imoen, “our friends died there. Because of me. I should at least pay my respects”.

Imoen threw her arms around him. “It wasn’t your fault. You’re not responsible.”

“I know, but I was the reason. Dynaheir?”

“I will come. We have come too far together to say goodbye now.”

“Hooray!” Minsc cried. The others jumped. They had forgotten that he was in the room. “Minsc will go and get his new buttkicking boots. Watch out Evil, we’re back. Right, Boo?” He rushed out of the room.

Cameron smiled. He hadn’t known that that was the last time that he would see them all together.

The others had gone…at last. He had spent several interminable hours wearing a mask of politeness, whilst their friends chatted and laughed about Jaheira’s life. Cameron had just wanted them to leave. Imoen had been the last to leave. Her concern had been palpable. She had seen straight through him, of course, he had never been able to put anything past her, he thought that perhaps that’s what sisters were for. Finally though, repeating “I’m fine” and smiling had persuaded her to leave.

Finally alone, he wandered aimlessly through their home. He looked lost, a stranger, to see him, you would not know that he had lived there for thirty years. Here or there he would stop as something in particular caught his attention and he would reach out and touch, feeling the contours of memory like a blind man.

A Maztican idol, representing alien gods:

“The ocean is not wide enough for you to escape me, Altan. There is nowhere left for you to run.”
“What will you do Jaheira, kill me? Will that satisfy the Harpers?”
“I’m not here to kill you, I’m here to save you. Give me the idol.”
“Never!”

A full length portrait of Cameron wearing the arms and insignia of the Lord de’Arnise, bearing the Flail of Ages:

“We do not have time for this. Why did you agree to such a foolish notion?”
“She’s just lost her father, Jaheira, if I’d said no she would have lost her home as well. I couldn’t do that to her. Besides, its only temporary. We’ll sort out this business with the Roenalls and put her back in charge.”
“You’re deluding yourself if you think it will be that easy”.

A slashed and broken shield showing the faded signs of the Delryn family:

“It was his choice Cameron, it isn’t your fault.”
“Of course it’s my fault, I’m supposed to be the leader. I knew how impulsive he was. I should have kept a closer eye on him.”
“And how could you have stopped him. You cannot control all events.”

A papier maché carnival mask in the shape of a stag’s head:

“You are a fool to stand in the path of the Wild Hunt, mortal. Fear will freeze your limbs, and the Hounds will tear the flesh from your bones.”
“Jaheira, come back.”
“Wha…What? Cameron?”

A battered locket bought from a street vendor in Athkatla:

Jaheira took the strands of hair and braided them together around the ring, his hair dark, and hers burnished gold, entwined about the metal. “Eternity” she said firmly to his puzzled expression, closing the ring inside the locket. She fastened the chain back around her neck. He smiled. “That’s not nearly enough time”. He said drawing her close.

Cameron slipped the chain over his head and tucked the locket inside his shirt. Then, finally, he broke down and wept. “Not enough time,” he whispered.

The Warrior took over as Cameron put himself through the motions. The armoured figure spun and whirled. Fast moving flesh and metal under iron control. Cut. Parry. Thrust. Turn. Block. The movements were smooth, precise, thorough. No hesitation, no error, no compromise. Occasionally D’Arby would come in and observe for a while, but Cameron’s visor was down. His expression was hidden.

“My Lord.” A final cut, and the sword was sheathed. Hands helped him remove his helm, and steadied him as he swayed with sudden fatigue. “I’m sorry to break your concentration, my lord, but you’ve been training for six hours without rest.”

“Thank you Jason, I’d…quite lost track of time”.

D’Arby began to work on the straps of Cameron’s armour. “I’ve had food and wine laid out in your private chambers. You’ll have to eat fast, my lord, we’ll have visitors soon.”

Cameron had begun to drift away into his memories again. Long days on the road with Jaheira, a camp or an inn, and then… D’arby’s words finally caught him, “Visitors?”

“There’s a small group of soldiers on their way up the hill. A couple of knights and a dozen men at arms They’ll be at the gate in about half an hour. I’ll be able to stall them a while longer, whilst we stable their horses. I think you have about an hour, my lord.” D’Arby removed Cameron’s breastplate, then wrinkled his nose, “I’ll have a bath run for you as well.”

“Who are they?”

“The scouts say that their banners are showing the Radiant Heart. Their leader, though, is displaying the de’Arnise crest. That suggests that it’s young Lord Jared.”

“But it’s Order business not de’Arnise. Must be urgent, I told the Prelate that I was not to be disturbed.”

“I remember, my lord,” D’Arby smirked. “You were quite firm about it. I’m told that he walked with a limp for months. I’m sure that you’re supposed to used the lance, not pull your opponent off their horse by the crest on their helm.”

Cameron waved that away impatiently, “I lost my temper, it was stupid. I should apologise I suppose.”

“It was ten years ago my lord”.

He shrugged, “Never too late for an apology. Very well, stall them for as long as you can, but invite Jared in. I’ll speak to him in the Great Hall in an hour.”

#2 Guest_Flarn_*

Posted 02 June 2003 - 10:27 PM

[quote]They covered her body with earth in the grove at dawn.

The druids of course were already busy choosing a successor. Not a difficult choice, she’d been clear in her wishes, but there were formalities, and the clash of scimitars and the snarls of wild beasts could be heard from some distance away. The other mourners still lingered around the grave talking quietly among themselves. There weren’t many, even so prominent a Harper as she had been; she had never been adept at casual friendship, and she had outlived most of those she cared for, her elven blood had seen to that.

The Warrior stood apart from the others lost in memory. A good life, he thought, even she would admit that in her gruff way, despite the pain of loss in her youth and the fear and doubt that still followed him wherever he went. Still, he was glad that she had not had to face losing him too. He would not have wanted her to have to bury both of them. It was just, now that she was gone… He swallowed hard and gripped her Harper pin tighter in his hand. [/quote]

*sobs* Ye gods... I suppose this is my just reward for killing Jaheira in my story. *sniffle*

[quote] “What will you do now?” the old man asked.

That was the question. She was gone. He had spent so much of his life with her, and she was gone. He turned away, looked at the rising sun. It was her favourite time of day. He had often awoken at this time to find her watching him with that smile on her face. His smile.

When he turned back the old man was no longer there.

What would he do now? Jaheira was dead.[/quote]

Sometimes succinct is best. Poor guy. That bit about the rising sun just ripped my heart out and showed it to me. *bawls*

[quote] “So where to now, oh omnipresent authority figure?”

They were all together in one of the apartments in the Ducal Palace. Imoen and Dynaheir had their heads together over a scroll discussing some point of magical pronunciation. Minsc was feeding Boo. Khalid and Jaheira were lounging in an overstuffed chair, his arms around her waist, her head against his chest. Cameron was reading.

“Cameron, you know p-perfectly well that I can’t stop Jaheira doing anything.” Khalid stroked her hair fondly, “All I can do if f-follow along in her wake, desperately hoping for a kindly word.” His voice had become artfully tragic.

“Stop that” she said swatting his hand.

“Yes dear, of course dear, anything you say dear.”

“Impossible man”. Cameron had caught Khalid’s eye and was trying not to laugh. “And you’re no better” she growled at him. “Anyway, before I was so rudely interrupted… I was asking about your plans. Sarevok is dead. What do you plan to do now? We’ve been here a month.”[/quote]

The whole flashback was really delicious - it showed what a solid group they had become, and of course I'm a sucker for Khalid/Jaheira moments. It's a very sensitive portrayal of their relationship.

[quote] A battered locket bought from a street vendor in Athkatla:

[i]Jaheira took the strands of hair and braided them together around the ring, his hair dark, and hers burnished gold, entwined about the metal. “Eternity” she said firmly to his puzzled expression, closing the ring inside the locket. She fastened the chain back around her neck. He smiled. “That’s not nearly enough time”. He said drawing her close.

Cameron slipped the chain over his head and tucked the locket inside his shirt. Then, finally, he broke down and wept. “Not enough time,” he whispered.[/quote]

*cries along with him* Beautiful in its cruelty... Now I finally understand Theodur not being able to read For the Fallen. *curls up in a catatonic ball* But I like suffering, so I will read it anyway. Just post a warning so I can have a few shots first, next time, 'kay? :)

Well done!

Flarn[/quote]

#3 Guest_Trefor_*

Posted 03 June 2003 - 05:48 AM

Thank you. I'll try not to be too depressing in future, but Cameron needs to be cut adrift before he can go on this journey.

#4 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 03 June 2003 - 05:51 AM

*cries along with him* Beautiful in its cruelty... Now I finally understand Theodur not being able to read For the Fallen. *curls up in a catatonic ball* But I like suffering, so I will read it anyway. Just post a warning so I can have a few shots first, next time, 'kay? ;)

:) I found this one easier to read though, it's very sad but at least Jaheira had some well deserved years of happiness. In case of For The Fallen - well that was different, I have already fell in love with your Jaheira, Flarn - you wrote her so adorable and loveable... and she was cut down in the prime of her beauty. *shudder* No, no, I'm okay. /wanders off to write some Jaheira-mush/ :)

Very good piece, Trefor, though I think I've said it before. I wonder where are you going to with the story - in the future or back in the past.

#5 Guest_Hunter_*

Posted 03 June 2003 - 05:53 AM

The Warrior stood apart from the others lost in memory. A good life, he thought, even she would admit that in her gruff way, despite the pain of loss in her youth and the fear and doubt that still followed him wherever he went. Still, he was glad that she had not had to face losing him too. He would not have wanted her to have to bury both of them. It was just, now that she was gone… He swallowed hard and gripped her Harper pin tighter in his hand.

:) jaheira is dead.

[i]“So where to now, oh omnipresent authority figure?”

Impossible!

:)

Finally alone, he wandered aimlessly through their home. He looked lost, a stranger, to see him, you would not know that he had lived there for thirty years. Here or there he would stop as something in particular caught his attention and he would reach out and touch, feeling the contours of memory like a blind man.

The memories.

Good and sad story

Hunter

#6 Guest_Bjorn_*

Posted 03 June 2003 - 01:00 PM

:) This is all so sad, although at least he has happy memories of their time together.

#7 Laufey

Posted 03 June 2003 - 01:39 PM

Well, I commented before...I'll just say that I'm still enjoying it, sad as it is to know Jaheira has passed away. And poor Anomen too.. *sniff* I wonder what happened to him.
Rogues do it from behind.

#8 Guest_argan_*

Posted 03 June 2003 - 02:14 PM

Awesome story. although really sad! But then again, I love angsty stories.
Will there be more?

#9 Guest_argan_*

Posted 03 June 2003 - 02:18 PM

Also, Flarn...do you have "For the Fallen" on your computer? If so, I would really appreciate if you sometime could mail them to me (still havent read them). The old archived attic links does not seem to be working.

#10 Guest_Trefor_*

Posted 03 June 2003 - 02:31 PM

Well, I commented before...I'll just say that I'm still enjoying it, sad as it is to know Jaheira has passed away. And poor Anomen too.. *sniff* I wonder what happened to him.

His death was entirely in character.

I really appreciate all the comments.

I felt that I needed to repost this in the revised format, now that I understand how the BG/BGII stuff fits in with the new story.

#11 Guest_Trefor_*

Posted 03 June 2003 - 02:33 PM

Awesome story. although really sad! But then again, I love angsty stories.
Will there be more?

Oh yes.

Unfortunately I don't think that I can keep up with the speed that some of you folks write. Too many interests, not enough focus, that's my problem. I'm plodding along though.

Gorion and Cameron at the gates of Candlekeep in the next Chapter

#12 Guest_Flarn_*

Posted 03 June 2003 - 03:17 PM

Hey argan,

Look here:

http://www.gamejag.c...viewforum&f=170

All of For the Fallen is being stored there now, since Leo has graciously given me Novella space.

I should really ask him if I could have short story space too. Also, I'm putting any naughty bits unfit for the Attic on my old and long-neglected Web site at http://neptune.space....com/~flarn/bg/ - warning though, it's a popup haven. :)

Flarn

#13 Guest_argan_*

Posted 03 June 2003 - 04:52 PM

Alright, thankyou! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com