Chapter 12

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jover_*

Posted 03 December 2002 - 03:00 AM

Chapter 12

Jover paused at the bottom of the steps to light a torch before continuing. "Korgan, where are you?" Jover called out into the darkness.

"Right here long limb." Korgan said, walking out of the shadows. "Put out that bleedin' torch, ye be tellin' every beastie down here right where we be."

"I can't see in the dark like you Korgan." Jover explained.

"Bloody humans." Korgan said. "The least bit o' darkness and ye be useless."

"Think you can you find the slaver down here?" Jover asked, ignoring the insult.

"If this were a Dwarven tunnel or even a natural one I'd already be cuttin' is heart out, but these bleedin' sewers ye long limbs build have too many bloody holes to hide in, I can't be sure o' findin' anything."

"Well we won't find him standing here let's get moving." Jover said, heading into the tunnel.

Jaheira and Minsc ran into the Copper Cornet ready for trouble, but the scene in room was the same as it had been before they left. 'Good! We beat the slaver captain back here.' Jaheira thought.

Soon after they entered Kerstia, the courtesan who had told them of the children, came to Jaheira's side with a hopeful look on her face. "Did you find our children?" she asked quietly. "Are they…"

"They are safe, one of our group is with them now, but the captain of the slavers escaped and may be on his way here." Jaheira said, "If he manages to warn these others guards before we are ready to strike all could be lost."

"Let him come." Kerstia whispered. "I told all the other women to be ready and now that our children are safe we will help you fight."

Jaheira looked across the room and near every guard stood one of the courtesans smiling and flirting, but keeping one eye towards Kerstia waiting for her signal.

"You do not have to risk yourselves.." Jaheira began.

"We are going to!" Kerstia said angrily. "All this time we have suffered under these slavers hands and we couldn't fight back. Now these men will pay!"

Jaheira nodded thinking of what she would do to Irenicus if given the chance. "Very well, Minsc take the doorway to the backrooms, do not let anyone in or out." Jaheira said. "I shall take care of that archer on the steps and the guards upstairs. Kerstia wait for us to get in position then signal the other women." As Jaheira walked to the stairs she gave a subtle signal to Bernard, who started to reach beneath the bar.

Captain Haegan with a torch in one hand shoved again at the grating that led to street above, but it would not open. 'Damn dead-end.' he thought, climbing back down the ladder. 'Now I have to take the tunnel all the way to the Cornet.' The slaver grabbed the young girl he had taken hostage and threw her over his shoulder. The girl with her hands and feet bound could only scream into cloth gag that had been shoved into her mouth. "Shut up you!" Hagen snarled, hitting the child with his free hand as he saw a light approaching. Looking around desperately, he saw there was nowhere to hide in this part of the tunnel, only the walkway where he now stood and the sewage filled water of the canal to his right. Dropping his torch Haegan drew his battle-axe and waited.

Korgan and Jover had seen the light ahead of them and ran forward. Jover having the longer legs arrived first, skidding to a stop several feet away from the slaver.

"Stay back!" Haegan said, holding the girl in front of him like a shield, the edge of his axe at her neck. "I'm walking out of here, if you try and stop me this girl dies."

"Go ahead an' kill her!" Korgan said, as he came up behind Jover. "Makes no bloody difference to me."

"Korgan!" Jover said, turning to face the dwarf, but keeping watch on the slaver.

"Shut yer mouth long limb, I be done with takin' orders from ye." Korgan said, swinging his axe at Jover who barely dodged out of the way.

"Slaver! Hear me words, I be Korgan Bloodaxe." the dwarf said, backing up against a wall. "I seen how ye work an I like yer style, give me a spot in yer operation an we'll kill this bleedin' hero together."

"I'm not falling for your ploy dwarf." Haegan said, with a sneer "How stupid do you think I am."

"Har! I nay be knowin' that." Korgan said, with a laugh. "But if ye been in the slums fer long ye should be knowin' tha' I go where the gold is.. an I don't bluff." Korgan yelled a battle cry and charged at Jover who blocked the dwarf's axe and then made an attack of his own that glanced of Korgan's helm.

Haegan stood watching as the two men fought, the blows were real, any mistake would mean death for one of them. His first thought was to try and slip past them and escape but the walkway was too narrow and what if the wrong person won. The slaver had indeed heard of Korgan, who by all accounts was known to be a vicious mercenary. The other fighter he didn't know at all, but the man had cost him a dearly. It would take a great deal of time and effort to replace the slaves and men he had lost today. Making his decision Haegan shoved the girl to the floor, lifted his axe and slowly moved forward.

Kerstia picked up a tray of mugs and walked to the center of the room where she suddenly dropped the tray with a crash. The noise of the breaking glass and the laughter of the crowd that followed was all the distraction that was needed. Fifteen angry women drew the knives hidden in the folds of their skirts, blades flashed across throats, and slid between ribs as the women vented their anger on the men that dared to hurt their families.

Jaheira sprinted up the stairs smashing her staff into the archer before he could fire, another swing sent the man flying over the railing to crash to the floor below. She then looked back and seeing that the women were able take the guards, turned and went into the upstairs rooms.

Minsc held his place by the door cutting down the two guards that were near him before drawing his bow and picking off any slaver that tried to run or managed to fight back against the women.

Lehtinan saw what was happening to his guards and started to run away only to fall to the floor, as Bernard pulled a crossbow from beneath the bar and fired a poison coated bolt into the slaver's back. Lehtinan died a slow painful death on the floor of the building where he had caused so many others to suffer.

Jaheira had quickly disposed of the upstairs guards and then grabbed Madame Nin by the collar and dragged the old woman to the doorway to see the fight taking place below. "I told you I would return, now you see what happens to those who deal in slavery." Jaheira said, before throwing the Madame down the stairs.

The patrons of the Cornet had watched in shock at the fight taking place all around them, but quickly ran in fear for the exits. When the once helpless, but now very dangerous women turned towards them. Soon the main room of the Cornet belonged to the former courtesans now turned warriors.

Jover was fast enough to block Korgan's attacks but was constantly forced backwards by the dwarf’s greater strength. Dodging a blow, Jover stepped around behind the dwarf, pushing Korgan towards the slaver in order to avoid being caught between two opponents. Korgan quickly recovered and turned to face Jover again. Haegan watched for his chance, then stepped forward slashing at Jover, his axe ripping through the fighter's chain-mail and cutting into his shoulder. Jover grimaced in pain and swung his sword at the slaver who jumped backwards - towards the canal. As Haegan teetered on then edge of the walkway, wind-milling his arms to regain his balance, Korgan raised his axe flashing a wicked grin at Jover, then spun and buried the weapon deep in Haegan’s gut.

Haegan stared stupidly at his blood flowing out around Korgan’s axe, then he slowly looked at the dwarf. With his last bit of strength, the slaver grabbed Korgan by the arm pulling the dwarf with him as he fell backwards off the walkway into the murky water of the canal. Korgan surfaced only once swearing and splashing wildly before quickly sinking again. Jover realizing how Korgan had managed to trick the slaver dropped his sword and reached into the water trying to grab hold of the dwarf but felt nothing. With no time to remove his armor Jover took a tight grip on the edge of the walkway and carefully slipped down into the water, only to laugh out loud as his feet touched the bottom of the canal. Able to wade through the chin deep water Jover easily found the dwarf and dragged him back to the walkway, pounding on Korgan's back until he began to breathe again.

While Korgan recovered Jover went to check on the girl Haegan had taken hostage. She was unconscious with a bruise on her head from where the slaver had knocked her down. Wincing at the pain in his shoulder Jover carefully picked her up and carried her back towards Korgan.

"How be the wee one?" Korgan asked.

"I’m no healer, but I think she'll be fine." Jover said. "Thanks to you."

"Ye be keepin' that kind o' talk to yerself long limb." Korgan said. "I got a nasty reputation to protect."

"It's well-deserved." Jover said "I honestly thought you had turned against me, you're a very convincing liar."

"Lyin' be a big part o' the mercenary trade." Korgan said. "But when I take a job I stays with it till it be done or I be dead." Korgan stopped to wring the water from his beard, then shook sending water flying everywhere. "Damnation! I hate gettin' this wet."

"Bloody Dwarves!" Jover said, imitating Korgan's earlier insult. "The least bit o' water an and ye be useless."

"Har! Har! Ye know, I wish ye had let me drown." Korgan said, laughing. "Now I have to live with the fact tha' I owe me bleedin' life to a long limbed human fool like ye."

"Just find the tunnel to the Cornet and we'll call it even." Jover said, smiling. "I'm worried about Jaheira and Minsc."

"I wish we knew how Jover and Korgan fared." Jaheira said, as they prepared to enter the back rooms of the Cornet.

"They will bring justice to the evil man and save the little girl." Minsc said, with confidence. "Right Boo?" A *squeak* was heard from somewhere inside Minsc’s armor and the ranger smiled. "See Boo agrees, so there is nothing to worry about."

Jaheira sighed, then turned to look at the women behind her. The former courtesans now awkwardly held weapons and shields taken from the fallen guards. A few had left to go and join Aerie and see to their children, but most had stayed to fight knowing that there would be no safety for their families until the slavers were dead. Opening the door Jaheira could hear the cheers of the crowd, the arena fights had continued on completely unaware of what had happened in the common room. Ignoring the arena area for the moment, Jaheira led her makeshift army down a small hallway that she hoped would lead to the cells where the fighting slaves were kept.

"What is that stench?" Jaheira asked, stopping in the middle of the hallway.

"That be us ye tree hugger." Korgan said, as he and Jover came out of a hidden passage in the hallway, only a few feet in front of Jaheira. "An it be a manly stench."

"Speak for yourself Korgan." Jover said. "I don't think the sewers are the best place to go swimming."

"You were in that disgusting water.. and with an open wound." Jaheira said, looking at the grime covering Jover and the injury to his shoulder. "I will have to treat you for diseases."

"Later." Jover said handing Jaheira the little girl. "Check her first."

"Mysa!" Kerstia cried, pushing forward to take the girl into her arms. "Oh my sweet girl, I thought I would never see her again… my son! Is he with you too?"

"No." Jover said, smiling. "Your boy is still with the other children."

"Your daughter will recover after some rest." Jaheira said, after looking at the girl "Take your child out of here Kerstia, we shall finish this fight."

"But my husband…" Kerstia began.

"If he lives we shall find him." Jaheira said "You have done your part, now go quickly and get the girl to safety."

Jover stood looking at the dozen armed women Jaheira had around her. "This is quite a group you've put together Jaheira, it looks like you gather companions even faster than I do." Jover said, teasingly. "You still have that old urge to be the leader don't you?"

"Hmph!" Jaheira snorted. "Will you please spare me your attempts at wit until we are done here."

"Whatever you say.. boss." Jover said, giving her a little salute.

Jaheira glared at the fighter, but did not get to reply as the door at the end of the hall opened and two slaver guards entered. Jover and Jaheira charged at them followed closely by Minsc, Korgan and the army of former courtesans. The guards seeing this turned an ran back out the door, giving chase the companions found themselves at the back of the arena, where the male slaves were held. After a very short battle with the guards, the men were released from their cells into the welcoming arms of their wives, who explained what had happened.

"My friends!" one of the male slaves said coming forward to shake Jover's hand "May the Gods bless you! My name is Hendak, would that I had been able to help you to end Lehtinan's miserable life, but I shall be content in knowing that his sick and twisted enterprise has been stopped and that our families are.." A pounding on a nearby door suddenly interrupted Hendak. "That is the signal for the guards to send in another slave to face one the beastmaster’s pets for the nobles amusement." Hendak said.

"Well then, lets not keep the audience waiting." Jover said.

The announcer was well into his routine of pitching the next fight to the crowd of uncaring nobles that sat in the stands. If the man had taken the time to look over his shoulder and see the 'slave' enter he would have seen the people who killed him. As it was the nobles in the front row got a very close view of the action as the announcer fell across their laps with an arrow sticking out of his back. The nobles did what they do best when confronted by trouble, they screamed and ran, trampling over one another in a desperate attempt to get away. The companions now backed by almost two dozen former slaves stormed into the arena, quickly disposing of the remaining guards, the beastmaster and anything else that stood in their way.

Later after all of the children and parents had been reunited in the Cornet’s main room. Bernard opened up Lehtinan’s private reserves and the former slaves were treated to the first good meal that they had seen in a long time. Afterwards, Bernard approached the companion’s table.

"Here is the gold that Lehtinan had hidden away." Bernard said placing five bags on the table. "And you're welcome to take your pick of the weapons he had as well."

Jover picked up one of the bags, thinking of Imoen for a moment before handing it back to Bernard. "Give this to the families, it was earned by their suffering they should be the ones to have it." Jaheira gave Jover an approving nod and quickly added her bag, which was followed by Minsc and Aerie's as well. All eyes at the table then turned towards Korgan.

"Don't be lookin' at me." the dwarf said, standing to tie the bag onto his belt. "This be the city o' coin, nay the city o' charity. If ye fools want to be workin' fer free that be your business, but don't be expectin' me to do the same. Now tell me where these bleedin' weapons be."

After picking out a new axe, Korgan was making his way through the crowd when the small boy he had met earlier on the ship came running up and threw his arms around the dwarf in a fierce hug. "Mister Korgan!" the boy said, happily. "Thank you for saving my sis!"

Korgan stood frozen as the child hugged him. "I.. ye.. yer.. yer welcome." Korgan said awkwardly patting the child on the back. "Now.. run along lad before ye bother me." As the child went back to his parents a small smile crossed Korgan’s face, only to become a scowl when he turned to find Jover standing behind him. "What in the Hells do ye want now long limb?"

"I was just coming to see if you wanted a drink." Jover said, holding up a bottle. "Bernard found some Dwarven ale."

"Give me tha' bloody bottle!" Korgan said, snatching the ale from Jover’s hand.

"We're heading back to the Promenade to get some rest." Jover said. "You're welcome to come along."

"Har! I be doubtin' that." Korgan said. "Yer do gooder friends, can't stand me company."

"Only because you act like scum," Jover said. "Most of the time."

"I am scum, ye bloody fool." Korgan said, angrily "I'm mean an' nasty, a bloodthirsty killer, a.."

"Friend to small children." Jover added, with a grin.

"Not a word about that long limb! Not to anyone.. EVER!" Korgan growled. "Or I'll gut ye where ye stand."

"Have it your way then." Jover said, starting to leave.

"Wait." Korgan said, taking the bag of coins from his belt and handing it to Jover. "See that this gets where it needs to be, but don't be tellin' anybody."

"Consider it done." Jover said, tucking the bag away. "So you want to go with us or not?"

"Nay, I be havin' some things to take care meself tonight." Korgan said. "An' I still have to be findin' a way to get tha' book for me other employer. Unless ye changed yer mind about helpin' me."

"I don't like raiding tombs." Jover said. "But I'll think about it, can you meet us here tomorrow?"

"Aye long limb." Korgan said. "I'll be here."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com