A Cappella Part 100- And A Star To Steer

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 22 August 2002 - 03:24 AM

Jarran whistled as he gathered his gear together. He felt his heart beating with excitement at the knowledge that at long last they would be leaving Athkatla to rescue Imoen. Kay settled into a comfortable position on top of the wardrobe, watching this activity with amusement.

It is only a ship, Jarran. A person would think that you were about to travel the planes.

Getting Imoen back is better than any exotic wonder I could find on another plane, Kay. By the gods, I have missed her so.

Really? I thought your druid was occupying your mind.

That's different. Jaheira is my love, but Imoen is family.

An interesting description. By the way, young master…. The pseudodragon seemed to duck his head in embarrassment. I do not really like sea travel. You will probably not see much of me on the voyage, because I intend to find a quiet spot and sleep my way to the island. I did not want you to worry about me.

Jarran sat down on the bed with a thump. Hells, Kay, why did you have to remind me?

Remind you of what?

I get seasick. Violently, horribly seasick. I am going to be miserable for days. I was so excited about seeing Imoen again, I just… forgot.

Perhaps Jaheira can help you.

I don't know, she couldn't when we sailed before.

Perhaps she has learned of a useful spell or potion since then.

That's true. I'll ask her. Do you know where she is?

I believe I saw her enter Mazzy's chamber.

Jarran went down the hall to the halfling's room. He was about to knock on the door, but was stopped by the sound of raised voices.

“How dare you speak to me that way?” he heard Jaheira say.

“I cannot contain myself any longer,” he heard Mazzy reply. “Your conduct has been shameful.” Jarran was startled at her tone. Mazzy had been a bit quiet the last few days, but she and Jaheira had never had cross words.

“My conduct, shameful or not, is none of your affair.”

“It is. Jarran is our leader, and he has earned my respect. I care about his well-being, and I will not see him used by a woman old enough to know better.”

“So! You think I am merely toying with him? That I care nothing for him?”

“No. But you are letting your grief blind you to what you are doing to him. Look at your behavior, Jaheira. Your husband has been dead for… how long? And you are sharing a bed with another man?”

“Sixty-five days,” Jaheira rasped. “It has been sixty-five days since we found Khalid's body.” Jarran closed his eyes and leaned against the wall at the pain in her voice.

“Can you not see my concern? Your loss is so fresh that you cannot be sure that you know your heart. Unless, of course, you cared little for your Khalid.”

“Never say that! Khalid was my life!”

“But now you are with Jarran. Can love truly change that quickly? Can the old be shed and the new taken up in such a short span of days? What if I am right and your affection for Jarran is just a desire for comfort? You will shatter him.”

“I… I… I am not using him. We have a bond between us, a true bond. But what of you, Mazzy? You and Anomen spend a great deal of time together, and when you are not with him you are with Valygar. Are you not lonely as well?”

“Of course I am. But I make no pretense of romance with either of them. We have grown to be friends, but I do not turn to either of them for… physical solace.”

“You… you…,” Jaheira sputtered.

“Tell me truly, Jaheira, who do you love?”

“I do not have to suffer this interrogation!”

“Who do you love? Which one?”

“Let me be!”

“Who do you love?” Mazzy shouted.

“KHALID, OF COURSE!” Jaheira screamed in return.

There was silence in the room. Jarran held his breath, not daring to make a sound that would reveal his presence. He heard Jaheira say in a strangled voice, “I… I meant…. Of course I loved Khalid, but… but….”

Mazzy's voice was soft. “I did not intend to cause you pain, my friend, but I do not wish to see our leader's heart broken. He cares deeply for you, Jaheira. Do not offer him what he cannot have.”

Jarran heard movement, and hastily retreated down the hallway. He slipped into the bathing room that the men used and was relieved to see that it was not occupied. He sat down on a bench and stared blankly at the opposite wall.

He felt Kay's mental touch. Master Jarran?

Yes, Kay?

If I had known you would hear that, I never would have told you that Jaheira was there. I am sorry.

I suppose I should be upset, but I'm not. Mazzy was only saying out loud what I have always believed. She loves Khalid, and I have pledged to do what I can to comfort her. I know she will leave me someday.

Master….

I know what you will say, and yes, I was starting to hope that she could love me. But now… I am worried about her. What if… what if I am the one using her? If I am taking advantage of her grief to try to win her heart?

Jarran, you are hardly the mad seducer preying on a vulnerable widow.

Aren't I, though?

Their conversation was interrupted when Jarran heard his name being called by Valygar. “I'm coming,” he called in return. He went to his room and got his own pack and the extra one filled with scrolls for Imoen and a supply of healing potions. He hurried down the stairs to find Valygar and Anomen waiting for him. A few minutes later Jaheira and Mazzy joined them. He carefully ignored Jaheira's flushed cheeks and red eyes.

The bard said cheerfully, “Well, I suppose we will be ready to go just as soon as Yoshimo comes downstairs.”

Hervo said politely, “The gentleman asked me to tell you that he was leaving early. He said he had some last minute shopping to do, and that he would meet you at the ship.”

“Oh! Then I suppose there is no reason to wait any longer. Let's go.”

Before they went out the door, Mazzy said, “Did you remember the extra healing potions, Jarran?”

“They are right here,” he said as he patted the pack that held them.

“And Valygar, did you pack the herbs you wished to bring?”

“Yes, Mamma Mazzy.”

Anomen grinned and said, “And before you ask, I packed plenty of clean undergarments.” Mazzy made a face at him while the others laughed.

It was only a short way from Valygar's home to the docks, and it did not take long for them to find the pier that they had been told to go to. They saw Aran Linvail speaking to a slightly portly sailor who was twirling the end of his elaborately curled mustache. When the Shadowmaster saw them, he smiled thinly and said, “Well Jarran, you now see where the bulk of your gold went. We have booked your passage and paid for the silence of the crew.”

The other man laughed heartily. “Silence is a relative term, for my crew is a rowdy bunch. I like a cheerful ship.”

Linvail looked at him coldly. “Your code of discipline is your affair, captain. They can be dour as the grave for all that I care as long as they perform the duties they were paid for.”

The captain waved away the Shadowmaster's comment with disdain. “Never a fear nor worry should cross your thoughts this eve, m'Lord. I have traveled this sea a good many times, and I foresee no troubles.”

Linvail's eyes narrowed. “Jarran, this is Saemon Havarian, captain of the Galante. He will ensure your safety… with his life if necessary.”

“Ah, well, there are no guarantees on a ship. There are storms, hidden reefs, pirates….”

“Which is why I have decided to provide you with extra protection. I am sure you will not object,” the Shadowmaster said smoothly.

“Pro-protection? What is this?”

“Merely an extra crew member, captain.” He snapped his fingers, and a woman emerged from the shadow of another ship. “This is Sime, and she will be staying very close to you, Saemon Havarian. For your safety, of course.”

The captain's eyes widened, but he showed no other sign of discomfort. “Of course.”

Sime smiled. “I shall make certain that, should we be surprised at sea, death will not come from an unexpected source. Do I make myself clear, captain?”

Saemon straightened his shoulders and did a fair job of looking indignant. “As clear as clear could be, m'lady, though I am not sure I approve of your tone. I assure you, nothing untoward will happen during our crossing.” He motioned towards the gangplank with a flourish, and said grandly, “All aboard, ladies and gentlemen. We are prepared to depart.”

Jarran said, “Just a moment. One of our companions is not here.”

“Ah, Yoshimo? He has already arrived.” The captain pointed, and they looked up.

Yoshimo was high in the rigging of the ship, his feet bare and his hair unrestrained. His black hair flowed behind him as he swung from one rope to another. The Kozakuran scrambled into the crow's nest and laughed. Jarran realized with a start that he had never seen Yoshimo smiling so openly.

Yoshimo looked down and spotted his companions. He gave them a cheery wave and slid down a rope to join them. “Excuse my disheveled appearance,” he said with a grin, “but I was recalling my youth.”

Jarran laughed at his exuberance. “You remind me of a poem I read at Candlekeep. 'I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky, and all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by. And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking, and a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.'* I wish I could remember more.”

Yoshimo's face was surprised, then turned thoughtful. “It is a shame you cannot recall all of the words. I believe I would find them… significant.”

The poem is “Sea Fever” by John Masefield.

#2 Guest_Kendis_*

Posted 22 August 2002 - 03:40 AM

*sigh* Poor Jarran. To finally hear what he's been fearing this whole time. It has to be hard enough already....

I've never been a big fan of Mazzy, to tell the truth, so it was completely easy for me to see her in the whole conversation with Jaheira. Well done! :)

Kendis

#3 Laufey

Posted 22 August 2002 - 06:38 AM

>> Remind you of what?

> I get seasick. Violently, horribly seasick. I am going to be miserable for

> days. I was so excited about seeing Imoen again, I just… forgot.

Ouch...think he and Kay will reinforce each others' discomfort through their link?

>> “I cannot contain myself any longer,” he heard Mazzy reply. “Your conduct

> has been shameful.” Jarran was startled at her tone. Mazzy had been a bit

> quiet the last few days, but she and Jaheira had never had cross words.

And in this scene I was really reminded of why I don't like Mazzy, though your own version is infinitely preferable to the one in the game. Grrrrr... *ahem* Sorry. :)

> “Of course I am. But I make no pretense of romance with either of them. We

> have grown to be friends, but I do not turn to either of them for…

> physical solace.”

> “You… you…,” Jaheira sputtered.

> “Tell me truly, Jaheira, who do you love?”

Mazzy, that's *really* none of your business. And acting like this is downright mean. What I really would like to see some time is Mazzy openly admitting that she's not the perfect moral compass that everybody should be guided by.

> “Who do you love?” Mazzy shouted.

> “KHALID, OF COURSE!” Jaheira screamed in return.

Ouch. Poor Jaheira. And poor Jarran. :(

>> I suppose I should be upset, but I'm not. Mazzy was only saying out loud

> what I have always believed. She loves Khalid, and I have pledged to do

> what I can to comfort her. I know she will leave me someday.

*sniff* Poor, poor Jarran...

>

> Sime smiled. “I shall make certain that, should we be surprised at sea,

> death will not come from an unexpected source. Do I make myself clear,

> captain?”

I always liked that line. ;)

>

> Yoshimo was high in the rigging of the ship, his feet bare and his hair

> unrestrained. His black hair flowed behind him as he swung from one rope

> to another. The Kozakuran scrambled into the crow's nest and laughed.

> Jarran realized with a start that he had never seen Yoshimo smiling so

> openly.

> Yoshimo looked down and spotted his companions. He gave them a cheery wave

> and slid down a rope to join them. “Excuse my disheveled appearance,” he

> said with a grin, “but I was recalling my youth.”

> Jarran laughed at his exuberance. “You remind me of a poem I read at

> Candlekeep. 'I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the

> sky, and all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by. And the

> wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking, and a grey

> mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.'* I wish I could

> remember more.”

> Yoshimo's face was surprised, then turned thoughtful. “It is a shame you

> cannot recall all of the words. I believe I would find them… significant.”

Very nice scene with Yoshi enjoying a moment's freedom and happiness, I really loved it!

Hope you're not offended by me griping a bit about Mazzy - it's just that she *really* pushes my buttons. As I said, yours is still much more likable than the one in the game.

In The Cards
Rogues do it from behind.

#4 Darkwolf Shadowwalker

Posted 22 August 2002 - 06:46 AM

> An interesting description. By the way, young master…. The pseudodragon

> seemed to duck his head in embarrassment. I do not really like sea

> travel. You will probably not see much of me on the voyage, because I

> intend to find a quiet spot and sleep my way to the island. I did not want

> you to worry about me. Jarran sat down on the bed with a thump. Hells,

> Kay, why did you have to remind me?

> Remind you of what?

lol! Poor Jarran. Mind of matter eh?

> “How dare you speak to me that way?” he heard Jaheira say.

> “I cannot contain myself any longer,” he heard Mazzy reply. “Your conduct

> “My conduct, shameful or not, is none of your affair.”

> “It is. Jarran is our leader, and he has earned my respect. I care about

> his well-being, and I will not see him used by a woman old enough to know

> better.”

Okaaaaay...

This just forcefully reminded me why I never kept Mazzy in my party for any length of time.

> “Can you not see my concern? Your loss is so fresh that you cannot be sure

> that you know your heart. Unless, of course, you cared little for your

> Khalid.”

And how is that any of your business? *grumble*

> There was silence in the room. Jarran held his breath, not daring to make

> a sound that would reveal his presence. He heard Jaheira say in a

> strangled voice, “I… I meant…. Of course I loved Khalid, but… but….”

*sigh* Poor Jarran. Somebody throw Mazzy overboard.

> Linvail's eyes narrowed. “Jarran, this is Saemon Havarian, captain of the

> Galante. He will ensure your safety… with his life if necessary.”

Bah, peasky jerk.

> Sime smiled. “I shall make certain that, should we be surprised at sea,

> death will not come from an unexpected source. Do I make myself clear,

> captain?”

buwahaha :)

> The poem is “Sea Fever” by John Masefield.

Very nice scene with Yoshimo, quite appropriate.

Heh, well sorry if I can across a little hostile, but two things annoy me a great deal: people butting into things they have no right to ask, and people who insist their way is the right way always. Mazzy often seemed to have these in spades.

#5 Requiem

Posted 22 August 2002 - 07:07 AM

> Jarran whistled as he gathered his gear together. He felt his heart

> beating with excitement at the knowledge that at long last they would be

> leaving Athkatla to rescue Imoen. Kay settled into a comfortable position

> on top of the wardrobe, watching this activity with amusement.

> It is only a ship, Jarran. A person would think that you were about to

> travel the planes.

> Getting Imoen back is better than any exotic wonder I could find on

> another plane, Kay. By the gods, I have missed her so.

> Really? I thought your druid was occupying your mind.

> That's different. Jaheira is my love, but Imoen is family.

*grins* Interesting differentiation, but I certainly understand.

> better.”

Oooo, that is rather harsh!

> “> “Sixty-five days,” Jaheira rasped. “It has been sixty-five days since we

> found Khalid's body.” Jarran closed his eyes and leaned against the wall

> at the pain in her voice.

*sniff* Poor Jaheira!

> Mazzy's voice was soft. “I did not intend to cause you pain, my friend,

> but I do not wish to see our leader's heart broken. He cares deeply for

> you, Jaheira. Do not offer him what he cannot have.”

Oh no...

> > I suppose I should be upset, but I'm not. Mazzy was only saying out loud

Awwwww....*sigh*

> > Anomen grinned and said, “And before you ask, I packed plenty of clean

> undergarments.” Mazzy made a face at him while the others laughed.

LOL! (and went to the bathroom before we left?)

Quite a bit going on here. I'm feeling quite sorry for Jarran right now. Loved the bit with Yoshimo at the end -- nice touch of humor to lighten it up!

j.

#6 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 22 August 2002 - 12:07 PM

> *sigh* Poor Jarran. To finally hear what he's been fearing this whole

> time. It has to be hard enough already....

But don't worry, the romance isn't over. They just have some issues that need working out.

> I've never been a big fan of Mazzy, to tell the truth, so it was

> completely easy for me to see her in the whole conversation with Jaheira.

> Well done! ;)

> Kendis

Mazzy (or at least my Mazzy) has a very protective streak, and she's worried about Jarran.

#7 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 22 August 2002 - 12:19 PM

> Ouch...think he and Kay will reinforce each others' discomfort through

> their link?

Yick, I hope not.

> And in this scene I was really reminded of why I don't like Mazzy, though

> your own version is infinitely preferable to the one in the game.

> Grrrrr... *ahem* Sorry. ;)

*grin*

> Mazzy, that's *really* none of your business. And acting like this is

> downright mean. What I really would like to see some time is Mazzy openly

> admitting that she's not the perfect moral compass that everybody should

> be guided by.

She doesn't see it that way. And remember, she has her own grief that she is dealing with. If she hadn't just lost Patrick, she probably wouldn't be reacting this way. She is a 'widow', too.

> Ouch. Poor Jaheira. And poor Jarran. :)

They still have things to work on, that's for sure.

> *sniff* Poor, poor Jarran...

He'll be all right... eventually.

> I always liked that line. ;)

Yes, it has just the right hint of menace.

> Very nice scene with Yoshi enjoying a moment's freedom and happiness, I

> really loved it!

Thanks!

> Hope you're not offended by me griping a bit about Mazzy - it's just that

> she *really* pushes my buttons. As I said, yours is still much more

> likable than the one in the game.

No, not at all. After all, the game Edwin makes me want to drop him in a deep dark pit, but the ITC Edwin is a hoot! But as I said, she is reflecting a lot of her grief on Jaheira. In my storyline, it has only been twenty days since they destroyed Patrick's shade, so she is still very torn up, and people in that position aren't the most logical creatures.

#8 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 22 August 2002 - 12:34 PM

> lol! Poor Jarran. Mind of matter eh?

Hehe, selective memory.

> Okaaaaay...

> This just forcefully reminded me why I never kept Mazzy in my party for

> any length of time.

> And how is that any of your business? *grumble*

> *sigh* Poor Jarran. Somebody throw Mazzy overboard.

Mazzy is just trying to protect Jarran. She and Jaheira are both older women with experience in life, and she thinks of Jarran as being more vulnerable. She doesn't know that Jarran has already thought of this possibility and accepted the risk.

> Bah, peasky jerk.

I found Saemon to be one of those characters that I liked in spite of himself. He was so brazenly self-centered that I had to admire his honesty.

> buwahaha ;)

*grin*

> Very nice scene with Yoshimo, quite appropriate.

Thanks!

> Heh, well sorry if I can across a little hostile, but two things annoy me

> a great deal: people butting into things they have no right to ask, and

> people who insist their way is the right way always. Mazzy often seemed to

> have these in spades.

Hey, no problem. Besides, part of my picture of my characters is that they aren't perfect. They are going to get on each other's nerves, they have have faults and foibles just like real people, and they are going to make mistakes. Mazzy thinks she is justified to speak up, but others would say for her to butt out. It's just all part of being realistic.

#9 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 22 August 2002 - 12:42 PM

> *grins* Interesting differentiation, but I certainly understand.

I guess you could say that Jaheira has been in the forefront of his mind, but Imeon has always been in the background, reminding him of her danger.

> Oooo, that is rather harsh!

Well, Mazzy sees herself as another older woman. She really isn't trying to hurt Jaheira, but as another 'widow', she knows the temptation of leaping into another relationship to avoid thinking about her grief.

> *sniff* Poor Jaheira!

And she has felt the pain of his loss every single one of those days.

> Oh no...

Mazzy just doesn't want to see Jarran get hurt.

> Awwwww....*sigh*

Aw indeed.

> LOL! (and went to the bathroom before we left?)

*grin* That's Mamma Mazzy for you.

> Quite a bit going on here. I'm feeling quite sorry for Jarran right now.

> Loved the bit with Yoshimo at the end -- nice touch of humor to lighten it

> up!

> j.

Thanks! And thanks for commenting!

#10 Guest_Hunter_*

Posted 22 August 2002 - 05:42 PM

kay is really mean sometimes

> days.

i can relate to that.

> Perhaps Jaheira can help you.

Uh oh, this dosen't sound good

it had to happen at some point

> better.”

Yeah Mazzy, teach jaheira some manners

> Khalid.”

Now, that one was below the belt mazzy

> “Never say that! Khalid was my life!”

> “But now you are with Jarran. Can love truly change that quickly? Can the

> old be shed and the new taken up in such a short span of days? What if I

> am right and your affection for Jarran is just a desire for comfort? You

> will shatter him.”

That is just sooo Mazzy. I absolutely belive that she would say that.

> “I… I… I am not using him. We have a bond between us, a true bond. But

> what of you, Mazzy? You and Anomen spend a great deal of time together,

> and when you are not with him you are with Valygar. Are you not lonely as

> well?”

> physical solace.”

i think that anomen and Mazzy could make a beautiful, albeit somewhat unusual coulple

Thats unfair mazzy

The moment of truth.

Shit...

> There was silence in the room. Jarran held his breath, not daring to make

> a sound that would reveal his presence. He heard Jaheira say in a

> strangled voice, “I… I meant…. Of course I loved Khalid, but… but….”

too late now jaheira.

> Master….

> I know what you will say, and yes, I was starting to hope that she could

> love me. But now… I am worried about her. What if… what if I am the one

> using her? If I am taking advantage of her grief to try to win her heart?

> Jarran, you are hardly the mad seducer preying on a vulnerable widow.

That is absolutely the truth!!!

> Before they went out the door, Mazzy said, “Did you remember the extra

> healing potions, Jarran?”

> “They are right here,” he said as he patted the pack that held them.

> “And Valygar, did you pack the herbs you wished to bring?”

> “Yes, Mamma Mazzy.”

> Anomen grinned and said, “And before you ask, I packed plenty of clean

Mazzy at her best, it's a pity that she dosen't do that in the game

> openly.

i really don't like that man.

good story, the romance is really becoming interesting

hunter.

#11 Weyoun

Posted 22 August 2002 - 08:13 PM

Hey, number 100! Congrats!

> Jarran whistled as he gathered his gear together. He felt his heart

> beating with excitement at the knowledge that at long last they would be

> leaving Athkatla to rescue Imoen. Kay settled into a comfortable position

> on top of the wardrobe, watching this activity with amusement.

> It is only a ship, Jarran. A person would think that you were about to

> travel the planes.

> Getting Imoen back is better than any exotic wonder I could find on

> another plane, Kay. By the gods, I have missed her so.

Laska : *sniffs*

Weyoun : Great, now she's all depressed again... You do realize she'll eat every bit of chocolate in the house now, don't you? :)

Awww...

LOL! So does Korgan. At least Jarran and Korgy have one other thing aside from the beards in common.

Laska : Hmm, I don't think you and Korgy will get along, though, Jarry... :)

> better.”

Uh-oh...

> “So! You think I am merely toying with him? That I care nothing for him?”

> “No. But you are letting your grief blind you to what you are doing to

> him. Look at your behavior, Jaheira. Your husband has been dead for… how

> long? And you are sharing a bed with another man?”

Vierna : My daddy says it's not right to be jealous! Now, you must make up and share...

Weyoun : Errr, I don't think that's a good idea. Besides *whispers in tiny pointed ear*

Vierna : What? They weren't talking about cookies? :D

> physical solace.”

> “I do not have to suffer this interrogation!”

> “Who do you love? Which one?”

> “Let me be!”

OUCH! Poor Jarran...

> I suppose I should be upset, but I'm not. Mazzy was only saying out loud

> Master….

> I know what you will say, and yes, I was starting to hope that she could

> love me. But now… I am worried about her. What if… what if I am the one

> using her? If I am taking advantage of her grief to try to win her heart?

*snort* Jaheira hardly seems vulnerable to me. And if she finds out anyone is trying to take advantage of her, she'll tear him a new A. :D

> “Yes, Mamma Mazzy.”

LOL!

And did they wash their necks? :(

> “Ah, well, there are no guarantees on a ship. There are storms, hidden

> reefs, pirates….”

Zombie-pirates, singing monkeys, Steve Irwin protecting the wildlife... Stuff like that. :)

> Jarran said, “Just a moment. One of our companions is not here.”

> “Ah, Yoshimo? He has already arrived.” The captain pointed, and they

> looked up.

> openly.

I bet... :)

> remember more.”

Ouch... Great stuff,

---Weyoun

TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#12 Guest_Ursula_*

Posted 22 August 2002 - 10:34 PM

> Perhaps Jaheira can help you.

*Sigh* And to think if Kay'd mentioned Ano's name instead, this whole situation might have been avoided. Then again, perhaps not: she *did* call Khalid's name during their tryst...the tryst they had when Mazzy was standing guard, thinking about Patrick. Hmm...just how good is halfling hearing, anyways?

> “It is.

*Shrugs* If the rest of the party condones Mazzy's mothering of them in other ways, this would seem to be a continuation of accepted behavior on Mazzy's part.

> I care about

> better.”

Granted, Mazzy's ::tries to think of word:: projecting a little on Jaheira, but she *does* have a valid point. Wondered that myself. And it was very tactful for her to question her in private instead of making it a public issue.

> “Let me be!”

I found this passage extremely effective. You really portray Jaheira becoming (gradually) increasingly flustered to the point where she unwittingly gives the "true" answer. Deftly done!

> “Yes, Mamma Mazzy.”

But, more importantly, did he remember the metal polish? ;)

LOL! It's nice to see Ano at peace w/ himself, even jesting w/ his comrades.

> Galante. He will ensure your safety… with his life if necessary.”

Please-please-please will he get his comeuppance? Please?

> openly.

An idyllic scene of pure freedom before he submits to vilest slavery. Nice contrast. I really liked your description here.

As always, an enjoyable chapter. Thank you for posting this. :)

#13 Guest_Lord E_*

Posted 22 August 2002 - 11:58 PM

Also, his feeling for Jaheira is new and scary, while for Imoen it is old and stable.

Now Mazzy is really, really annoying (never mind that she sort of has a point).

> “Sixty-five days,” Jaheira rasped. “It has been sixty-five days since we

I can physically see the pain and anger in her. I'd expect her to be more clearly scornful/angry at Mazzy, though. Or perhaps the pain is too much for that.

> Khalid.”

Now I feel like punching her.

> physical solace.”

Out of line.

LOL! No, I didn't think that either.

Makings of a monster

#14 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 23 August 2002 - 12:25 AM

> kay is really mean sometimes

Jarran: And that's Kay on a *good* day.

> i can relate to that.

I had motion sickness as a kid, and it wasn't fun.

> Uh oh, this dosen't sound good

No indeed.

> it had to happen at some point

Especially since they are both very strong-willed.

> Yeah Mazzy, teach jaheira some manners

*grin*

> Now, that one was below the belt mazzy

She's a halfling, what can I say? *snicker* Bad joke, I know.

> That is just sooo Mazzy. I absolutely belive that she would say that.

I always try to match the character's speech patterns.

> i think that anomen and Mazzy could make a beautiful, albeit somewhat

> unusual coulple

*grin*

> Thats unfair mazzy

> The moment of truth.

> Shit...

> too late now jaheira.

Oooh, yeah.

> That is absolutely the truth!!!

He still feels bad, though.

> Mazzy at her best, it's a pity that she dosen't do that in the game

It's a real shame they had to limit the dialogues, they could have done a lot more.

> i really don't like that man.

I would have loved to keep him if it hadn't been for the geas.

> good story, the romance is really becoming interesting

> hunter.

Thanks!

#15 Guest_Anonymous_*

Posted 23 August 2002 - 12:41 AM

> Remind you of what?

Well, just picture the ocean as a huge barf bag. Er, sorry for the disgusting simile...

> I believe I saw her enter Mazzy's chamber. Jarran went down the hall to

> the halfling's room. He was about to knock on the door, but was stopped by

> the sound of raised voices.

Uh-oh....

> better.”

Ouch. Mazzy's being a bit cruel, but as Lord E said, she has a sort of a point.

And she knows because she's counting. Nice detail here. ;)

> well?”

> physical solace.”

Cruel, cruel...

> “Let me be!”

>

#16 Guest_Anonymous_*

Posted 23 August 2002 - 12:42 AM

> Remind you of what?

Well, just picture the ocean as a huge barf bag. Er, sorry for the disgusting simile...

> I believe I saw her enter Mazzy's chamber. Jarran went down the hall to

> the halfling's room. He was about to knock on the door, but was stopped by

> the sound of raised voices.

Uh-oh....

> better.”

Ouch. Mazzy's being a bit cruel, but as Lord E said, she has a sort of a point.

And she knows because she's counting. Nice detail here. :)

> well?”

> physical solace.”

Cruel, cruel...

> “Let me be!”

Of course. Ouch. Poor Jarran....

> If I had known you would hear that, I never would have told you that

> Jaheira was there. I am sorry.

> I suppose I should be upset, but I'm not. Mazzy was only saying out loud

How sad... :(

> “Yes, Mamma Mazzy.”

Lol! And a bag for the dirty laundry?

> Galante.

Lol! Saemon, I find him extremely funny. :)

> He will ensure your safety… with his life if necessary.”

ROFL!

> “Ah, well, there are no guarantees on a ship. There are storms, hidden

> reefs, pirates….”

And Saemon Havarian. ;)

> openly.

Wow, I must say, what a stunning view of Yoshi!

> remember more.”

> The poem is “Sea Fever” by John Masefield.

A beautiful excerpt. I'll have to look up John Masefield poems though. I have to know how it ends. :)

Great writing Silrana. As always, I loved it. :)

-Sandalwood

#17 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 23 August 2002 - 12:50 AM

> Hey, number 100! Congrats!

Thanks! Though at my present rate I'll finish at part 943.

> Laska : *sniffs*

> Weyoun : Great, now she's all depressed again... You do realize she'll eat

> every bit of chocolate in the house now, don't you? ;)

Aaaargh! Don't mention the ch-word! I'm fasting and it's hard enough to stay out of the kitchen.

> Awww...

Jarran: She's my little sister, and nobody had better forget that!

> LOL! So does Korgan. At least Jarran and Korgy have one other thing aside

> from the beards in common.

> Laska : Hmm, I don't think you and Korgy will get along, though, Jarry...

> :)

Jarran: There are no enemies hanging over the rail of a ship.

> Uh-oh...

Yup.

> Vierna : My daddy says it's not right to be jealous! Now, you must make up

> and share...

> Weyoun : Errr, I don't think that's a good idea. Besides *whispers in tiny

> pointed ear*

> Vierna : What? They weren't talking about cookies? :(

Jarran: It was, ah, blankets! That's right, blankets.

> OUCH! Poor Jarran...

I never promised a *smooth* Jaheira romance.

> *snort* Jaheira hardly seems vulnerable to me. And if she finds out anyone

> is trying to take advantage of her, she'll tear him a new A. :D

I certainly wouldn't want to test it out.

> LOL!

> And did they wash their necks? :)

And behind their ears, too!

> Zombie-pirates, singing monkeys, Steve Irwin protecting the wildlife...

> Stuff like that. :)

*grin* By the way, has the Croc Hunter movie made it to theatres near you? Be sure to see it when it does, it's a hoot!

> I bet... :)

Yoshi loves the sea. You can't blame him for enjoying it while he can.

> Ouch... Great stuff,

> ---Weyoun

Thanks!

#18 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 23 August 2002 - 12:57 AM

> *Sigh* And to think if Kay'd mentioned Ano's name instead, this whole

> situation might have been avoided. Then again, perhaps not: she *did* call

> Khalid's name during their tryst...the tryst they had when Mazzy was

> standing guard, thinking about Patrick. Hmm...just how good is halfling

> hearing, anyways?

Not *that* good. She's just adding everything up.

> *Shrugs* If the rest of the party condones Mazzy's mothering of them in

> other ways, this would seem to be a continuation of accepted behavior on

> Mazzy's part.

They don't call her Mamma Mazzy for nothing.

> Granted, Mazzy's ::tries to think of word:: projecting a little on

> Jaheira, but she *does* have a valid point. Wondered that myself. And it

> was very tactful for her to question her in private instead of making it a

> public issue.

Really, Mazzy is only saying what tons of fans did about the Jaheira romance in the game - that it was darn weird that she falls for you so soon after Khalid's death.

> I found this passage extremely effective. You really portray Jaheira

> becoming (gradually) increasingly flustered to the point where she

> unwittingly gives the "true" answer. Deftly done!

Thanks!

> But, more importantly, did he remember the metal polish? ;)

But of course!

> LOL! It's nice to see Ano at peace w/ himself, even jesting w/ his

> comrades.

He has finally found friends that he can feel comfortable around.

> Please-please-please will he get his comeuppance? Please?

Not for a while, I need him in TOB!

> An idyllic scene of pure freedom before he submits to vilest slavery. Nice

> contrast. I really liked your description here.

Poor Yoshi is enjoying some freedom while he can.

> As always, an enjoyable chapter. Thank you for posting this. :)

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it.

#19 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 23 August 2002 - 01:01 AM

> Also, his feeling for Jaheira is new and scary, while for Imoen it is old

> and stable.

Very true.

> Now Mazzy is really, really annoying (never mind that she sort of has a

> point).

*grin* Don't you hate it when someone is right and you don't want them to be?

> I can physically see the pain and anger in her. I'd expect her to be more

> clearly scornful/angry at Mazzy, though. Or perhaps the pain is too much

> for that.

She's too busy fighting her conflicting feelings.

> Now I feel like punching her.

> Out of line.

Think of it as shock therapy.

> LOL! No, I didn't think that either.

*grin*

Thanks for commenting!

#20 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 23 August 2002 - 01:12 AM

> Well, just picture the ocean as a huge barf bag. Er, sorry for the

> disgusting simile...

*groan*

> Uh-oh....

*ominous music*

> Ouch. Mazzy's being a bit cruel, but as Lord E said, she has a sort of a

> point.

Let's face it, with Jaheira a subtle hint probably wouldn't do.

> And she knows because she's counting. Nice detail here. :)

And I kept a careful chronology of AC so that I could get that line right.

> Cruel, cruel...

But to the point.

> Of course. Ouch. Poor Jarran....

Ouch indeed.

> How sad... :(

But Jarran has always felt like the 'rebound guy'. And the rebound guy always get dumped.

> Lol! And a bag for the dirty laundry?

*grin*

> Lol! Saemon, I find him extremely funny. :)

There's a part of me that can't help liking him. He's so brazen.

> ROFL!

> And Saemon Havarian. ;)

Now *there's* a danger!

> Wow, I must say, what a stunning view of Yoshi!

Thanks!

By the way, for our "cast the BG characters for a movie" discussions that we have now and them, I nominate the oriental cop on Witchblade for Yoshi.

> A beautiful excerpt. I'll have to look up John Masefield poems though. I

> have to know how it ends. :)

You can find it on the web easily.

> Great writing Silrana. As always, I loved it. :)

> -Sandalwood

Thanks a lot!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com