IX. Running Away

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Fantysm_*

Posted 01 December 2002 - 12:02 AM

Numbly, Aulava donned her leather armor and packed her various daggers and belongings in a backpack. The gold she had stashed in the hidden compartment in her wardrobe was tucked into the many pockets of the pack as well.

She had no desire to meet any of her family as she left, but it seemed fate had different ideas. Just as she unfolded the battered rope ladder that she would use to escape, her sister Fenella came into her room and sat on the bed, her short legs dangling over the floor.

"Fen!" Aulava exclaimed. "You're supposed to be asleep."

The eight-year-old looked dolefully at her sister with the hazel eyes they shared. "Why are you packing? Are you running away?"

"Yes, I am," Aulava said carefully. "Father has disowned me."

"Dis . . . disdown . . . what?"

"Father wants me to leave."

Fenella screwed up her face. "But, 'Lava, you said you were going to teach me how to throw knives so I can hit the bulls-eye every time! You promised! And I don't want you to leave. You're the best sister in the whole wide world!"

Aulava smiled, touched. "Thanks, Fen." She squatted down so she could look her sister in the eyes. "If you ever want me to teach you how to throw knives, you'll probably find me at the Crooked Crane. It's by the City Gates. I won't be there forever, though. Only this week, and perhaps the next. I love ya, Fen, but I've got to leave. Good-bye, sis, and good-night." Aulava slung the backpack over her shoulders and carefully descended the fraying ladder.

---

Tiiro hurriedly stuffed his possessions into a backpack, picked up his short sword in its sheath, and managed to squeeze his tall body out the window before Teeg accosted him, Aiyra in tow.

"Tiiro, where are you going? You could get lost," Teeg said sternly. "And Father will hurt you!"

Aiyra's large dark brown eyes regarded him fearfully. She hugged her dolly and twin tears ran down her cheeks silently.

A flash of indecision struck Tiiro, and an overwhelming wave of regret washed over him. He almost returned to his bedroom to unpack and protect his younger siblings from the wrath of their shared father. But a glimpse of Aulava in his mind's eye squashed that idea. He shook his head slightly, gradually becoming more resolute in his plan. "Take care of Aiyra for me, Teegano Memokar. And keep reading. You'll be a great mage someday. Maybe you'll even make it to Candlekeep, little bro. Remember me, Teeg. Besides you and Aulava, no one else will. Good-bye."

"Good-bye," Teeg whispered, clutching Aiyra's hand. "I won't forget you Tiiro."

---

Now the question is, where do I go? Tiiro thought.

You know the answer, don't you, his mind mocked.

Shut up, you. Stop it.

Where SHE is,
it snickered. Tiiro laughed aloud at the absurdity of the situation. He was arguing with himself in the middle of a deserted street, at midnight, in the City of Coin. But he grudgingly admitted that the voice in his head had a point. Remembering one of Aulava's haunts, he started towards the Crooked Crane. Rarely did any other noble frequent the tavern, so he'd be relatively safe. That's what he thought --- until he walked in the door.

Maunu was seated at a table, drinking as much hard liquor as his system (and purse) would allow.

---

Aulava strolled confidently into the Crooked Crane before crashing into someone, knocking them both down.

"Look, pal! Get out of the doorway!" she said crossly, picking herself up. The man remained on the floor, and she could make out faint traces of blood on the back of his tunic under the dim light of the tavern. And the way his hair fell over his neck was awfully familiar . . .

"Tiiro," she said, and pulled him up. He wasn't listening to her as he stared at the man across the room.

Maunu slowly turned his head to meet Tiiro's eyes. "HEY! LOOK EVERYONE, IT'S THE DYNAMIC DUO! I HEAR THEIR PARENTS HAVE BEEN TRYING TO SPLIT 'EM UP!"

"RUN!" Tiiro yelled, and they tore up the stairs, locking the stairwell door behind them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com