A Cappella Part 76 - Challenges

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 05 February 2002 - 11:59 AM

The group returned to the slave pens of the Copper Coronet, and Anomen carefully approached Etoni, who was quietly crying in the corner.

“Etoni?” he said gently.

“Don't touch me. Please don't touch me,” the man wailed.

“Etoni, do you remember who I am?”

“Anomen? It wasn't a dream…you're here. Run, Anomen, before Lehtinan catches you here! He'll hurt you!”

“Lehtinan is dead, and I am going to take you to someone who can help you. Come with me, my friend.”

Using soft tones and reassurances, Anomen coaxed the trembling man out of the cell. When he saw that Etoni's clothes were torn to shreds, he wrapped his cloak around him. Etoni shied back when he saw the other party members, whimpering like a frightened animal. Trying to be as comforting as possible, Anomen murmured, “It is all right, they are my companions. They will not harm you.”

They went outside and mounted the creaking steps up to the tiny temple of Ilmater. The Ilmateri priest looked even more mournful than usual at the news of what had been occurring under his nose. “I knew that slavers operated here in the slums, but I had no idea that Lehtinan would be so brazen as to use them in the Coronet. I will help your friend, and I would recommend he rest here for a while.”

Anomen said quietly to Jarran, “I would like to stay with him for a little while. I want to be sure that he has recovered and… I should speak to him. Apologize for my words. I owe him at least that.”

“Of course. We'll go back down and see if Hendak needs any more help.”

The three men went into a private chamber, and the servant of the Crying God began his spell. When it was complete, Etoni looked up with more clarity in his eyes than Anomen had seen since discovering him in the cell. “I… I can think. My mind isn't trapped in misery anymore.”

Anomen turned to the other priest. “Thank you… Molison, isn't it? Thank you for your help.”

“It was my pleasure. The Broken God delights in removing the pain of others. I will leave you alone now.”

Etoni stretched, then grinned at Anomen. “I can't believe I am out of that… that pit. And to think I owe it all to my squire in shining armor.”

Anomen chuckled. “Even better, I am a knight now.”

“Wonderful! Oh,” he clucked disgustedly. “I need a bath so badly. Do you think the Ilmateri run to hot water, or do they revel in the sacrifice of bathing in cold?”

“I am sure they would gladly give you a hot bath, Etoni.” He was happy to see his friend acting more himself, though the poor man would need more than a bath. Etoni was naturally small and slender, but after being in Lehtinan's dubious care he looked thin and frail, and the nearly violet eyes that had caught the attention of so many were sunken. “Etoni, how did you wind up in the slave pens? I thought you and Lehtinan had an arrangement.”

“We did, but evidently my freelancing was taking too much business away from his own boys. He decided why have just a share of my earnings when he could have all of them. When I didn't cooperate, he…he gave me the worst customers to make me change my mind. When I still resisted…he said if I wasn't going to earn my keep one way, I'd earn it another.”

“I am so sorry, my friend.”

The former slave leaned close to the priest, carefully examining his face in the gleaming armor. “My scars are gone. Well, all I need is some cleaning up and new clothes and some decent food and I'll be back to normal. Who owns the Coronet now?”

“Hendak.”

“Hendak? I wonder if he will agree to the same bargain I had with Lehtinan.”

“Etoni! Surely you do not intend to go back to that life?”

“Why not? It was easy work, and quite lucrative. And I was so very good at it,” he purred. “That reminds me, I do owe you a great debt of gratitude, and I know just how I'd like to repay you.” He slid his hand up the breastplate of Anomen's armor.

The priest grabbed his hand and held it tightly. “Etoni, I am sorry for the harsh way I refused you before, but my answer is still no.”

“Why must you play hard to get? I could show you things…”

“We have had this discussion before, and I have already given you my reasons. I will not go over them time and again.”

Etoni's face flushed angrily as he snatched back his hand. “Most men aren't so choosy when offered pleasure.”

“This is not the sort of pleasure I want. You are my friend, but nothing more.”

“Yes, I remember what you told me you want. You'll need all of Tymora's blessings to find what your heart desires,” the little man snarled.

Anomen stepped back, startled by the venom in the other man's voice. “I… I thought we had some measure of friendship, but I see that I was wrong. I will leave you now.”

“Anomen, don't go! I'm sorry, that was cruel. You will find love someday, I know you will. I just wished… you were so kind to me. I thought it would be nice to do something just because I wanted to, not because I was being paid to.”

“And I'm flattered that you feel so strongly, really I am. But you have already repaid me for any kindness I showed you before. You talked to me and kept me company when no other person would. I would have gone mad with boredom and loneliness had it not been for you.”

“R-really? I am glad, but… there is still the debt I owe you for today.”

“There is only one thing that you could do to satisfy that debt.”

“What? I'll do anything for you, Anomen, anything.”

Softly the priest said, “Leave that terrible life, Etoni. Stop destroying yourself one night at a time. It has worn away your ability to find honest friendship, even between the two of us. I offered you companionship, and you assumed that I wanted something from you in return. Your heart has been hardened.”

“I…I can't.”

“Have you learned nothing from this? Enslaved, tortured, driven mad, all because of that life? How many stories did you tell me of being beaten? How many times did you tell me of being ill used by your… customers? You have intelligence, humor… surely there are other things you could do.”

Etoni was silent for a long moment. “But it is the only life I know. When Father discovered what I was and threw me out, it was the only way I could survive. I am… afraid to do anything else.”

“Then it will be the death of you, my friend. The next time you run into danger I will almost certainly not be there to save you.”

“But how could I live if I stopped working? Lehtinan stole what gold I had saved. Do you want me begging in the streets?”

Anomen felt his heart go out to the man who had helped him through such a dark time. He could not leave Etoni wallowing in the hopelessness he had fallen into. “You will learn a proper trade, an honest trade. And you will live on this while you do so.” He dropped a bag of gold into Etoni's hand.

The other man's eyes grew large at the size of the bag. “You… you can't mean it. This… how could you give me this much gold? This is what a man would pay his mistress to disappear, not what a stranger in a tavern deserves.”

“You are not a stranger, you are a good friend. Only swear to me that you will no longer be a prostitute, and will earn a respectable living, and it is yours.”

“I swear. Oh, I swear it on my life. Anomen, you don't know what this means to me.” He threw his arms around the priest, crying quietly.

“I think I do,” Anomen said softly. He gently patted the smaller man on the back, and gave him a brief kiss on the forehead. “The priests here will look after you until you feel able to start your new life, and I hope it is a happy one. Goodbye, Etoni.”

“Goodbye, Anomen. And thank you.”

The priest returned to the Copper Coronet to find a great celebration in full swing. He saw Mazzy coming towards him. The halfling said quietly, “Hendak has told us of more slaver strongholds in the city. We will deal with them tomorrow after we have had a good night's sleep. How is your friend?”

“His mind is now clear. Thank you for asking.”

“If he is well, then why the long face?”

Anomen sighed. “I persuaded him to take up a respectable trade, and gave him some gold, but… I do not know if his resolve will hold.”

“So you think he will go back to being a prostitute?”

“It is possible. Etoni has a good heart, but a weak nature. He takes the easy path, even if it leads to an unpleasant destination. Still, he did resist Lehtinan's demands, so perhaps he is stronger than I thought. I will pray that he will be able to walk in the light.”

“I will keep him in my prayers as well. But for now, come share some ale with us. We have saved many today, and have served righteousness well. That, my friend, calls for a mug and a light heart.”

Anomen felt his worries melt away as he returned Mazzy's smile. “A mug of ale sounds most inviting. Let us join the others.”

As they moved away from the door, a large warrior stepped into the inn. Anomen was astonished to see that the person was an ogre. The newcomer glared fiercely around the room, and stomped forward. He glanced down at Mazzy, and rasped out a nasty laugh. “What this? Baby paladin? Girl play dress-up like big warrior?”

Mazzy stiffened and turned to stare angrily at the ogre. “Of whom do you speak, oaf?” Anomen saw her eyes flashing. She did indeed look like a paladin in miniature. The previous day when the group had gone to the Five Flagons, Jarran had given her a suit of magical plate mail that had been in the group's storage trunk, and personally Anomen thought she cut a rather impressive figure in it.

“I talk you, pipsqueak. Go home to dolls, this big Gorf's world. I show you difference in wimpy halfling punch and Gorf squishy hit. Watch me.” With careless disdain, he swung his club, sending a crushing blow into the chest of one of the former slaves. “See difference, little nothing?”

“You beast!” the halfling cried out as Anomen leapt forward to heal the man. “I can ignore the insults of a brutish fool, but you have injured a man who has already received more suffering than he deserves. I demand satisfaction!”

The ogre furrowed his brow. It appeared puzzled that Mazzy was not cowering in fear. “Huh? What you mean?”

“I mean, idiot, that I am challenging you to a duel.”

“A duel? Little girly want to be squished by Gorf? Hahahahaha!”

“Laugh while you can, brute. I allow you to choose the field of battle.”

“We fight in pit. Gorf see how flat he can squish you.”

“Very well.”

As the ogre stomped away, the group gathered around Mazzy, having heard the raised voices. Jarran said worriedly, “Mazzy, are you sure about this? That… that thing is five times your size.”

“The Shade Lord's dragon was over a hundred times larger than I, but I faced it. I will not let a vicious creature such as that go unpunished for such thoughtless cruelty.” Then the halfling made a sour face. “Besides, nobody calls me a pipsqueak and gets away with it.” She marched over to the pit.

As she and Gorf faced each other, the ogre smiled maliciously. “We make fight fair. No armor, no magic weapons. I have club, you have sword and shield.”

“I accept.”

Anomen started. Surely she could see that she would be at an even greater disadvantage. Why was Mazzy allowing this?

Mazzy raised her sword in a salute to her opponent, but Gorf merely snickered and spat on the sawdust floor, ignoring the fact that Mazzy's lips were moving. He swung at her with the club, but she ducked under it effortlessly. He scowled and said, “Gorf forgot how small Tiny is. Not make mistake again.” He came at her with a flurry of blows, but she dodged them, flowing easily out of his reach.

As he stood panting in frustration, she smiled and said, “And now, foul beast, I shall show you Arvoreen's power.” She chanted a few words, and charged him. The ogre managed to land a blow, but it did not slow the halfling down. She slashed across his leg, and Gorf bent over the deep wound, bellowing in pain. While he was distracted, she stabbed him, sinking the sword into his chest all the way to the hilt. The ogre groaned and fell to the floor.

Calmly Mazzy said, “There. Virtue has won the day, and it has been demonstrated that size does not equal might. Hopefully the lesson has been pounded into the lout's head, if he lives to tell the tale.” She placed her hand on her shoulder where Gorf had struck her with his club, and quietly attended to her own wound.

As the group walked away, a half-orc woman started wailing, “Oh Gorfy, speak to your Bunkin! Is anybody here a healer?”

Anomen and Jaheira looked at each other. The druid gave the priest a wry smile and said, “I do not see any healers here, do you, Sir Anomen?”

“None at all, Lady Jaheira,” Anomen said calmly as the party returned to their table for a well-earned drink.

#2 Darkwolf Shadowwalker

Posted 05 February 2002 - 03:38 PM

> “Etoni?” he said gently.

> “Don't touch me. Please don't touch me,” the man wailed.

Ug =/

> “Hendak? I wonder if he will agree to the same bargain I had with

> Lehtinan.”

> “Etoni! Surely you do not intend to go back to that life?”

If that is all he knows...

> “Why not? It was easy work, and quite lucrative. And I was so very good at

> it,” he purred. “That reminds me, I do owe you a great debt of gratitude,

> and I know just how I'd like to repay you.” He slid his hand up the

> breastplate of Anomen's armor.

...which apparently it is.

> “I think I do,” Anomen said softly. He gently patted the smaller man on

> the back, and gave him a brief kiss on the forehead. “The priests here

> will look after you until you feel able to start your new life, and I hope

> it is a happy one. Goodbye, Etoni.”

> “Goodbye, Anomen. And thank you.”

Great resolution to the whole issue, another great twist Silrana.

> As they moved away from the door, a large warrior stepped into the inn.

> Anomen was astonished to see that the person was an ogre. The newcomer

> glared fiercely around the room, and stomped forward. He glanced down at

> Mazzy, and rasped out a nasty laugh. “What this? Baby paladin? Girl play

> dress-up like big warrior?”

Oooooh boy...

> “The Shade Lord's dragon was over a hundred times larger than I, but I

> faced it. I will not let a vicious creature such as that go unpunished for

> such thoughtless cruelty.” Then the halfling made a sour face. “Besides,

> nobody calls me a pipsqueak and gets away with it.” She marched over to

> the pit.

Good point...

> As he stood panting in frustration, she smiled and said, “And now, foul

> beast, I shall show you Arvoreen's power.” She chanted a few words, and

> charged him. The ogre managed to land a blow, but it did not slow the

> halfling down. She slashed across his leg, and Gorf bent over the deep

> wound, bellowing in pain. While he was distracted, she stabbed him,

> sinking the sword into his chest all the way to the hilt. The ogre groaned

> and fell to the floor.

Strength spell?

> Anomen and Jaheira looked at each other. The druid gave the priest a wry

> smile and said, “I do not see any healers here, do you, Sir Anomen?”

> “None at all, Lady Jaheira,” Anomen said calmly as the party returned to

> their table for a well-earned drink.

lol!

Well well... it looks as if Jaheira and Anomen are getting along quite well, what a surprise :)

#3 Laufey

Posted 05 February 2002 - 03:58 PM

> Using soft tones and reassurances, Anomen coaxed the trembling man out of

> the cell. When he saw that Etoni's clothes were torn to shreds, he wrapped

> his cloak around him. Etoni shied back when he saw the other party

> members, whimpering like a frightened animal. Trying to be as comforting

> as possible, Anomen murmured, “It is all right, they are my companions.

> They will not harm you.”

Very sad scene, and a realistic description of an abuse victim.

> Etoni was silent for a long moment. “But it is the only life I know. When

> Father discovered what I was and threw me out, it was the only way I could

> survive. I am… afraid to do anything else.”

Anomen isn't the only one with a scumbag Dad... :)

> “I swear. Oh, I swear it on my life. Anomen, you don't know what this

> means to me.” He threw his arms around the priest, crying quietly.

> “I think I do,” Anomen said softly. He gently patted the smaller man on

> the back, and gave him a brief kiss on the forehead. “The priests here

> will look after you until you feel able to start your new life, and I hope

> it is a happy one. Goodbye, Etoni.”

Awwwww!

> As the group walked away, a half-orc woman started wailing, “Oh Gorfy,

> speak to your Bunkin! Is anybody here a healer?”

*snicker*

Rogues do it from behind.

#4 Arcalian

Posted 05 February 2002 - 04:49 PM

> Softly the priest said, “Leave that terrible life, Etoni. Stop destroying

> yourself one night at a time. It has worn away your ability to find honest

> friendship, even between the two of us. I offered you companionship, and

> you assumed that I wanted something from you in return. Your heart has

> been hardened.”

> “I…I can't.”

> “Have you learned nothing from this? Enslaved, tortured, driven mad, all

> because of that life? How many stories did you tell me of being beaten?

> How many times did you tell me of being ill used by your… customers? You

> have intelligence, humor… surely there are other things you could do.”

> Etoni was silent for a long moment. “But it is the only life I know. When

> Father discovered what I was and threw me out, it was the only way I could

> survive. I am… afraid to do anything else.”

> “Then it will be the death of you, my friend. The next time you run into

> danger I will almost certainly not be there to save you.”

> “But how could I live if I stopped working? Lehtinan stole what gold I had

> saved. Do you want me begging in the streets?”

> Anomen felt his heart go out to the man who had helped him through such a

> dark time. He could not leave Etoni wallowing in the hopelessness he had

> fallen into. “You will learn a proper trade, an honest trade. And you will

> live on this while you do so.” He dropped a bag of gold into Etoni's hand.

> The other man's eyes grew large at the size of the bag. “You… you can't

> mean it. This… how could you give me this much gold? This is what a man

> would pay his mistress to disappear, not what a stranger in a tavern

> deserves.”

> “You are not a stranger, you are a good friend. Only swear to me that you

> will no longer be a prostitute, and will earn a respectable living, and it

> is yours.”

AWWWWW

Duuuhhhh. Me stupid. Me gonna get butt kicked by halfing. Reminds me of a half orc character from one of my friends pen and paper games. He had an INT of 3, and he knew 3 words; his name, kill, and stop.

> Mazzy raised her sword in a salute to her opponent, but Gorf merely

> snickered and spat on the sawdust floor, ignoring the fact that Mazzy's

> lips were moving. He swung at her with the club, but she ducked under it

> effortlessly. He scowled and said, “Gorf forgot how small Tiny is. Not

> make mistake again.” He came at her with a flurry of blows, but she dodged

> them, flowing easily out of his reach.

> and fell to the floor.

> Calmly Mazzy said, “There. Virtue has won the day, and it has been

> demonstrated that size does not equal might. Hopefully the lesson has been

> pounded into the lout's head, if he lives to tell the tale.” She placed

> her hand on her shoulder where Gorf had struck her with his club, and

> quietly attended to her own wound.

The winner, and still champiom. Mazzy! *crowd cheers*

Heheheh!

The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

#5 Weyoun

Posted 05 February 2002 - 06:56 PM

Poor guy. Sometimes it is frightening what humans are capable of doing to each other...

> The three men went into a private chamber, and the servant of the Crying

> God began his spell. When it was complete, Etoni looked up with more

> clarity in his eyes than Anomen had seen since discovering him in the

> cell. “I… I can think. My mind isn't trapped in misery anymore.”

Ah, handy those 'Heal'-spells.

> “Wonderful! Oh,” he clucked disgustedly. “I need a bath so badly. Do you

> think the Ilmateri run to hot water, or do they revel in the sacrifice of

> bathing in cold?”

Heheheheh... He has a sense of humor! Good!

Glyill : I don't find it at all funny... *glares*

> Anomen felt his heart go out to the man who had helped him through such a

> dark time. He could not leave Etoni wallowing in the hopelessness he had

> fallen into. “You will learn a proper trade, an honest trade. And you will

> live on this while you do so.” He dropped a bag of gold into Etoni's hand.

> The other man's eyes grew large at the size of the bag. “You… you can't

> mean it. This… how could you give me this much gold? This is what a man

> would pay his mistress to disappear, not what a stranger in a tavern

> deserves.”

> is yours.”

> “I swear. Oh, I swear it on my life. Anomen, you don't know what this

> means to me.” He threw his arms around the priest, crying quietly.

Ah, Anomen has actually changed someone's life. His knighthood seems to be showing.

> “I talk you, pipsqueak. Go home to dolls, this big Gorf's world. I show

> you difference in wimpy halfling punch and Gorf squishy hit. Watch me.”

> With careless disdain, he swung his club, sending a crushing blow into the

> chest of one of the former slaves. “See difference, little nothing?”

Oh, that guy... Grrr...

> “I mean, idiot, that I am challenging you to a duel.”

Oh, man, I've just had a flashback to one of my very first stories! Phew, that was last march, almost a year ago now! Heh, time flies when you're having fun! :(

> and fell to the floor.

TIMMMBBEERRRRR!

Guess he has to make do with a band-aid and some stitches. :)

Great stuff!

---Weyoun

TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#6 Guest_Winter_Bloom_*

Posted 05 February 2002 - 07:18 PM

Awww...

> “Anomen, don't go! I'm sorry, that was cruel. You will find love someday,

> I know you will. I just wished… you were so kind to me. I thought it would

> be nice to do something just because I wanted to, not because I was being

> paid to.”

> “And I'm flattered that you feel so strongly, really I am. But you have

> already repaid me for any kindness I showed you before. You talked to me

> and kept me company when no other person would. I would have gone mad with

> boredom and loneliness had it not been for you.”

> “R-really? I am glad, but… there is still the debt I owe you for today.”

> “There is only one thing that you could do to satisfy that debt.”

> “What? I'll do anything for you, Anomen, anything.”

> been hardened.”

It's nice to see Anomen acting like a comforting priest.

I always disliked this bully.

> and fell to the floor.

Ha! That's the way to do it Mazzy!

Tee-he!

#7 Guest_Lord E_*

Posted 05 February 2002 - 10:33 PM

Amusingly enough Lehtinan wasn't evil by alignment if I recall correctly...

> “Etoni! Surely you do not intend to go back to that life?”

> “Why not? It was easy work, and quite lucrative. And I was so very good at

> it,” he purred. “That reminds me, I do owe you a great debt of gratitude,

> and I know just how I'd like to repay you.” He slid his hand up the

> breastplate of Anomen's armor.

Get a clue, Etoni!

> Etoni's face flushed angrily as he snatched back his hand. “Most men

> aren't so choosy when offered pleasure.”

It's not nice to be rejected, but many of us are choosy about our choice of gender.

> been hardened.”

I really like this Anomen.

> is yours.”

How easily such a promise is kept, if that life is all that he has ever known, I wonder...

#8 Guest_Lord E_*

Posted 05 February 2002 - 10:42 PM

> Duuuhhhh. Me stupid. Me gonna get butt kicked by halfing. Reminds me of a

> half orc character from one of my friends pen and paper games. He had an

> INT of 3, and he knew 3 words; his name, kill, and stop.

LOL! Sounds just like Abduh.

Our Shaggrudd (STR 20, DEX 6, CON 13, INT 7, WIS 17, CHA 4) sounds like a suave genius compared to these guys!

#9 Laufey

Posted 05 February 2002 - 10:50 PM

> LOL! Sounds just like Abduh.

I believe Abduh's Int score hits negative numbers. ;)

Rogues do it from behind.

#10 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 05 February 2002 - 11:55 PM

> Ug =/

It's not a pretty situation.

> If that is all he knows...

> ...which apparently it is.

Pretty much. He's had to earn his own living for quite a while, and that was the only thing he has ever done.

> Great resolution to the whole issue, another great twist Silrana.

Thanks. I just couldn't see them saving him then walking away.

> Oooooh boy...

*grin* Not smart.

> Good point...

Mazzy may be small, but she's tough.

> Strength spell?

On top of a haste spell. Just a couple of her gifts from Arvoreen.

> lol!

> Well well... it looks as if Jaheira and Anomen are getting along quite

> well, what a surprise ;)

They have developed, if not a friendship, at least a mutual tolerance. Both of them care about Jarran, though in different ways of course, so they know they should get along for his sake.

#11 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 05 February 2002 - 11:59 PM

> Very sad scene, and a realistic description of an abuse victim.

Thank you.

> Anomen isn't the only one with a scumbag Dad... ;)

Unfortunately not.

> Awwwww!

Anomen really does have a good heart.

> *snicker*

Would *you* waste a spell on that dirtbag?

#12 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 06 February 2002 - 12:42 AM

> AWWWWW

*grin* I'll always take an awww.

> Duuuhhhh. Me stupid. Me gonna get butt kicked by halfing. Reminds me of a

> half orc character from one of my friends pen and paper games. He had an

> INT of 3, and he knew 3 words; his name, kill, and stop.

LOL! That must have made for some interesting roleplaying.

> The winner, and still champiom. Mazzy! *crowd cheers*

She kicks butt and takes names!

> Heheheh!

Let the idiot bleed, maybe he'll learn something from it.

#13 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 06 February 2002 - 01:55 AM

> Poor guy. Sometimes it is frightening what humans are capable of doing to

> each other...

*sigh* Very. And slavers are the bottom of the barrel, just slightly above the tanner quest people.

> Ah, handy those 'Heal'-spells.

Greater Restoration, actually. Heal doesn't really handle being driven bonkers.

> Heheheheh... He has a sense of humor! Good!

> Glyill : I don't find it at all funny... *glares*

*snicker*

> Ah, Anomen has actually changed someone's life. His knighthood seems to be

> showing.

The boy's trying to grow up.

> Oh, that guy... Grrr...

Moron alert!

> Oh, man, I've just had a flashback to one of my very first stories! Phew,

> that was last march, almost a year ago now! Heh, time flies when you're

> having fun! :D

I knoooooow the feeling.

> TIMMMBBEERRRRR!

Kasmash!!!

> Guess he has to make do with a band-aid and some stitches. ;)

Or just quietly bled to death, they really didn't care which.

> Great stuff!

> ---Weyoun

Thanks!

#14 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 06 February 2002 - 01:59 AM

> Awww...

Poor thing.

> It's nice to see Anomen acting like a comforting priest.

He's trying, he really is.

> I always disliked this bully.

He deserves what he gets, that's for sure.

> Ha! That's the way to do it Mazzy!

*grin*

> Tee-he!

Hey, they've got better things to do... like drink ale!

#15 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 06 February 2002 - 02:06 AM

> Amusingly enough Lehtinan wasn't evil by alignment if I recall

> correctly...

For some odd reason he's LN in InfExp. There must be some game mechanics reason for it, or it's a holdover from earlier design choices, because he was one evil SOB.

> Get a clue, Etoni!

> It's not nice to be rejected, but many of us are choosy about our choice

> of gender.

Well, Etoni tends to only come into contact with people who want something from him. It's hard for him to understand that someone could want to be his friend without expecting to be 'repaid' for it.

> I really like this Anomen.

Thanks.

> How easily such a promise is kept, if that life is all that he has ever

> known, I wonder...

And even Anomen knows that, but he had to try.

#16 Guest_Lord E_*

Posted 06 February 2002 - 02:17 AM

> *sigh* Very. And slavers are the bottom of the barrel, just slightly above

> the tanner quest people.

Any people who are cruel to helpless people or animals.

#17 Guest_Lord E_*

Posted 06 February 2002 - 02:21 AM

> For some odd reason he's LN in InfExp. There must be some game mechanics

> reason for it, or it's a holdover from earlier design choices, because he

> was one evil SOB.

*Nod* My instinctual reaction was that he was one of the evilest people in the whole game.

> And even Anomen knows that, but he had to try.

It is great to see these righteous characters do something like this.

#18 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 06 February 2002 - 02:28 AM

> It is great to see these righteous characters do something like this.

Well, that is *ahem* what makes someone righteous. Too often 'righteous' is used as synonymous with smugly superior and obnoxious, but that's not, after all, what it truly means.

#19 Guest_Lord E_*

Posted 06 February 2002 - 02:36 AM

> Well, that is *ahem* what makes someone righteous. Too often 'righteous'

> is used as synonymous with smugly superior and obnoxious, but that's not,

> after all, what it truly means.

In the games (and some books and movies) they mostly spout pompous language and want to smite this or that evil (which others may or may want to smite too but with less noise about it).

I just wanted to compliment you of making a knight/paladin character do something which I find worthy of those high moral standards, and not so often seen.

#20 Guest_Mutant Mike_*

Posted 06 February 2002 - 08:46 AM

Hey!

Time has ben scarce... And you're churning these things out like you've got elves working on them or something. ;)

I'm just now getting caught up. All nice pieces. Liked Jarran's entrance at the fighting pits. I would have expected that of a bard, even if he is a battle-bard.

Nice touch with Val and the animals. It kinda sucked that you had to kill them and couldn't just lock them up in a cell and get the XP... And then there was the Beastmaster, whose fate should have been more painful.

This one showed nice insight into Ano's character. Very well done. And, of course, liked the Mazzy fight. I thought it was a little harsh of Ano to pretend he wasn't a healer. Granted the ogre didn't deserve any help, I just thought it was a touch cold of him to state it the he did.

That's not to say I didn't get a kick out of that exchange, though. I like the relationship that Ano and Jah are building.

Like this stuff lots! So, what's left til the dreaded Spellhold? :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com