A Cappella Part 68 - Shadows

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 16 January 2002 - 07:57 PM

Jan slipped back into the corridor. “The dragon is there all right, bigger than life and twice as ugly.”

Jarran nodded. “And it ignored you?”

“Sure did. I did a jig under its nose and it never knew I was there. This wardstone does the trick.”

Anomen said eagerly, “Excellent! We will have the element of surprise on our side.”

Mazzy frowned. “Surely you do not wish to attack the beast? A dragon is not to be taken lightly.”

Anomen started to say something, then checked himself, shooting a glance at Jarran. In polite tones he said, “I can assure you that I do not regard the creature as an easy opponent. But we have fought a dragon before. This armor I wear was made from the scales of a great red that we slew in the Windspear Hills. Surely this beast would be no more difficult.”

Jaheira said thoughtfully, “Anomen may have the right of it, Jarran. If we slay the Shade Lord but leave the dragon unharmed, it may begin to prey on the surrounding area. The inhabitants of Imnesvale would still be in danger.”

Jarran said, “What do the rest of you think?”

“More dragon treasure!”

“Thank you, Jan, I think that lets me know where you stand. Mazzy? Valygar?”

The halfling said slowly, “If it is the will of the group, then I will gladly lend my sword to the battle.”

“And I don't like leaving an enemy behind me. Do you have a plan?” the ranger asked.

Jarran considered the problem for a few minutes. “I think we should handle things a little differently. When we fought Firkraag, one person took the brunt of the injuries because he was always in close combat with the dragon. Since we have the luxury of the wardstone, we should surround the dragon and then take turns distracting it. We'll keep it on the run, and maybe that way nobody gets too badly hurt.”

They went into the dragon's chamber, whispering from force of habit. Jaheira summoned a fire elemental while the others' spells brought a number of humanoids. While they were casting protective spells, Jarran noticed that Mazzy was chanting as well.

The bard looked puzzled. “I thought you were a warrior.”

She smiled. “And I am, but Arvoreen has given me a few small gifts. She has granted me the ability to grow stronger, at least for a while.”

The group circled the oblivious dragon and Jarran and Jan began their spells to make the creature more vulnerable. When the spells were complete, they began their attack.

The dragon reared up with a roar. “How dare you petty fleshlings disturb the Shadow Dragon? I shall tear your bodies apart and feast on your innards while you whimper and cry for mercy.”

The plan seemed to be working well. The fire elemental had caught the dragon's attention, and Jarran wondered if it was because of the light the creature was giving off. As the dragon chased the elemental, they pelted it with missiles and spells. Jarran was singing his bardsong loudly as he fired off arrows with partial success. But then the battle changed.

The dragon suddenly stopped and began to mutter words. It ignored the attempts to distract it, and Jarran was disturbed to see the elemental wander off in a daze. But his plan was still working as the warriors took turns gaining the monster's attention. He was pleased that the beast had not managed to use its fierce breath or its massive wings. The only casualties so far had been the summoned humanoids, who had fallen quickly, and the dragon was bleeding from a number of wounds.

He heard an unexpected cry and realized that the fire elemental was chasing Jan. Dammit. That means no spells from him. Not good.

It seemed that that particular moment was when his strategy fell apart. As Jaheira ran to help Jan, the dragon bellowed and swung itself around, catching Valygar with its great wing and knocking him over. The ranger lay breathless and stunned. As the beast snapped at the fallen man, Anomen charged forward and struck a hard blow at the joint where the creature's wing joined its body. The dragon howled and whipped its neck around far faster than Jarran would have thought possible.

The bard was horrified to see the dragon's jaws closing on Anomen's torso. It lifted the priest far into the air as Anomen howled with pain and rage. His weapon arm was trapped inside the creature's mouth, so that all he could do was try to pound on its nose with his shield. The dragon shook its head sharply, and Jarran was reminded in a strange way of a dog worrying a bone. Anomen shrieked louder as the creature crushed his chest in its mouth.

Jarran was about to break off his bardsong so that he could begin a spell when he saw Mazzy dart forward. “For Arvoreen!” she cried as she drove her sword into the creature's foot. As the dragon yanked its foot back, she called out, “Face me, you foul monster!” She waved her sword at it, daring it to attack.

The dragon slung its head to the side, sending Anomen flying through the air. Jarran winced when he heard a sound like dozens of pots hitting the ground. The creature roared, “I will not be taunted by one such as you! You shall feel Thaxll'ssillyia's wrath!”

But to the dragon's surprise the halfling ran straight at it… and under it. It snaked its head down to try to locate the running woman, leaving it distracted. Valygar, having regained his breath, struck a deep gash in the back of its neck, and as the dragon whipped its head back up it was struck with a bolt of glowing light. Jarran looked quickly around to see where the attack had come from, and saw that Anomen had managed to raise himself onto his knees, and had a wand in his shield hand.

The bard once again debated breaking off his song, but he was afraid that without it his group would suffer. The battle was wearing on all of them, and he decided that they needed the aid his song gave them.

He saw that Jaheira had beaten off the confused elemental, and the creature wandered off to contemplate the wall. The druid ran to join Valygar just as Jarran saw Mazzy pop out from under the dragon's belly. The halfling's sword was bloody, showing that she had put her position to good use.

Now that he was free of the elemental, Jan began casting spells once more. Magic missiles streaked towards the shadow dragon, pelting into it in a steady barrage. The magical attack turned the tide of the battle, and finally the dragon fell.

Jarran had been right in thinking that the group needed his aid. As soon as he stopped singing his bardsong, everyone seemed to sag with exhaustion. He saw Anomen slowly topple over with a metallic crash.

He ran to the priest, who was obviously the most injured of them all. He knelt down beside the bleeding man, and winced at the damage done by the dragon. Anomen's armor was punctured inward from the beast's crushing bite, and barbs of metal had been pushed deep into his flesh. His right arm was slashed and torn, and hung uselessly at his side.

Jaheira knelt down beside them. “Jarran, we must remove this armor,” she said urgently. “I cannot heal his flesh around it, and he is hurt too badly to wait for the armor to repair itself.”

Jarran looked at Anomen. The priest was watching him glassily. “I'm sorry, my friend, but she's right. Valygar, would you help me?”

The two men unfastened the straps of the armor, and together pulled the breastplate off of Anomen's chest. The knight gave a strangled cry, trying his best not to scream as the twisted metal tore free. He managed to gasp out, “The back. You'll... have to take off... the back.”

Gingerly they rolled him over and found that he was correct. The back of his armor was in the same condition as the front. Valygar and Jarran removed it as well. This time Anomen could not stop a scream of pain. Jaheira quickly started her spell of healing while they removed the smaller damaged pieces of armor.

She healed his wounds enough that he could cast his own spells, but after the long battles against the undead and shadow creatures of the forgotten temple, they had few left among them. Seeing that his companions were battered and exhausted, Jarran declared that it was time to rest.

Anomen wrapped his cloak around the shredded remains of his tunic. His armor's enchantment had nearly repaired it, but he was too weak to put the armor back on. As the group readied themselves for sleep, he crawled over to Mazzy.

She looked at him with a surprised expression. “You should rest. You are still badly injured.”

He sat with his back against the chamber wall. “You saved my life.”

“I was not alone. We all defeated the creature.”

“No. The dragon would have killed me, but you risked yourself to distract it. Why?”

“Why? Because you are a comrade in arms. I could do no less than my best to help you.”

“But I... was so cruel to you. So... unkind,” he said sleepily. As his eyes refused to stay open, he whispered, “Thank you. Didn't deserve...” His chin sank down onto his chest, so soundly asleep that he remained upright.

Mazzy's eyebrows rose as she studied the sleeping knight. “So, young one, you can learn. Perhaps there is hope for you yet.” Her expression softened, and she gently pulled him down onto a blanket, and covered him with a second one. “Perhaps there is hope.”

#2 Guest_Strange_Girl_*

Posted 16 January 2002 - 09:06 PM

Hey. Been a while since last time I commented, but still reading and enjoying.

> The dragon reared up with a roar. ?How dare you petty fleshlings disturb

> the Shadow Dragon? I shall tear your bodies apart and feast on your

> innards while you whimper and cry for mercy.?

Dragons. What over-sized egoes they got :)

> The bard once again debated breaking off his song, but he was afraid that

> without it his group would suffer. The battle was wearing on all of them,

> and he decided that they needed the aid his song gave them.

The curse of being a bard, eh; the song will help... but so will his fighting... or spellcasting...

> He saw that Jaheira had beaten off the confused elemental, and the

> creature wandered off to contemplate the wall. The druid ran to join

> Valygar just as Jarran saw Mazzy pop out from under the dragon?s belly.

> The halfling?s sword was bloody, showing that she had put her position to

> good use.

> Now that he was free of the elemental, Jan began casting spells once more.

> Magic missiles streaked towards the shadow dragon, pelting into it in a

> steady barrage. The magical attack turned the tide of the battle, and

> finally the dragon fell.

Yay!! Two down! There's nothing like a good dragon-fight.

> ?But I... was so cruel to you. So... unkind,? he said sleepily. As his

> eyes refused to stay open, he whispered, ?Thank you. Didn?t deserve...?

> His chin sank down onto his chest, so soundly asleep that he remained

> upright.

> Mazzy?s eyebrows rose as she studied the sleeping knight. ?So, young one,

> you can learn. Perhaps there is hope for you yet.? Her expression

> softened, and she gently pulled him down onto a blanket, and covered him

> with a second one. ?Perhaps there is hope.?

Ah, how sweet. I really like the way you portray them both here, and I'm looking forward to seeing how their relationship will develop.

S_G

#3 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 16 January 2002 - 11:21 PM

> Hey. Been a while since last time I commented, but still reading and

> enjoying.

Strange! It's great to hear from you again. I've been meaning to email you about a ...certain project. No promises yet, but your name has been mentioned.

> Dragons. What over-sized egoes they got :)

To go with their over-sized bodies I guess.

> The curse of being a bard, eh; the song will help... but so will his

> fighting... or spellcasting...

The best I've been able to do as far as multifunctionality goes is that sometimes by playing around with the All Attack button I can sometimes get him firing arrows and singing at the same time.

> Yay!! Two down! There's nothing like a good dragon-fight.

Yep. And right now Val looks soooo sexy in that shadow armor.

> Ah, how sweet. I really like the way you portray them both here, and I'm

> looking forward to seeing how their relationship will develop.

> S_G

Thanks. It should be interesting... for both of them.

#4 Guest_Sarah_*

Posted 16 January 2002 - 11:47 PM

Yeah! The dragon fight!

*waves "Go, Team!" flag*

> They went into the dragon's chamber, whispering from force of habit.

Come to think of it, this has to be one of the creepiest scenes in the game, especially when it's your first dragon. There's this BIG FRIGGIN' LIZARD, and you're sure it's just waiting for you to come within easy reach so it can make a meal out of you, wardstone or no wardstone.

There was more adrenaline in my system before and during this fight than at any other moment in the game.

> Jaheira summoned a fire elemental while the others' spells brought a

> number of humanoids.

Isn't it annoying that this doesn't work in the game?

> He heard an unexpected cry and realized that the fire elemental was

> chasing Jan.

Heh heh heh. I know I'm supposed to cheer for Jarran's party, but I hope Jan got at least a little singed. :-)

> The bard was horrified to see the dragon's jaws closing on Anomen's torso.

> It lifted the priest far into the air as Anomen howled with pain and rage.

Ouch.

> His weapon arm was trapped inside the creature's mouth, so that all he

> could do was try to pound on its nose with his shield. The dragon shook

> its head sharply, and Jarran was reminded in a strange way of a dog

> worrying a bone. Anomen shrieked louder as the creature crushed his chest

> in its mouth.

Double ouch ... very good move on the dragon's part, unfortunately.

> But to the dragon's surprise the halfling ran straight at it… and under

> it. It snaked its head down to try to locate the running woman, leaving it

> distracted.

Go, Mazzy! Luckily, it didn't just flop down on top of her.

> He saw that Jaheira had beaten off the confused elemental, and the creature

> wandered off to contemplate the wall.

LOL!

> Anomen's armor was punctured inward from the beast's crushing bite, and barbs

> of metal had been pushed deep into his flesh. His right arm was slashed and

> torn, and hung uselessly at his side.

Poor boy. :) But I suppose he can still consider himself lucky that he wasn't bitten in half.

> “But I... was so cruel to you. So... unkind,” he said sleepily. As his eyes

> refused to stay open, he whispered, “Thank you. Didn't deserve...” His chin

> sank down onto his chest, so soundly asleep that he remained upright.

Very nice finishing scene. I guess a knife's edge battle is one of the best ways to glue people together. You either work together, or you die ...

#5 Guest_Strange_Girl_*

Posted 17 January 2002 - 12:02 AM

> Strange! It's great to hear from you again. I've been meaning to email you

> about a ...certain project. No promises yet, but your name has been

> mentioned.

Goody! *grins from ear to ear and rubs hands together* I am of course more than willing if I'm needed for anything :)

> The best I've been able to do as far as multifunctionality goes is that

> sometimes by playing around with the All Attack button I can sometimes get

> him firing arrows and singing at the same time.

I've tried sometimes to get in a quick blow and before the song-effects wears off, but usually it takes too much time. For some reason, I've been able to make Aurora cast a spell while singing though. I would assume that this would be a more unlikely thing to happen :/

> Yep. And right now Val looks soooo sexy in that shadow armor.

Val... in black leather... um... *dries drool off chin* Ack! I've never tried that! Got to start up the game again now just to see how it looks ;D

S_G

#6 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 17 January 2002 - 12:13 AM

> Yeah! The dragon fight!

> *waves "Go, Team!" flag*

Jarran: I appreciate the enthusiasm.

> Come to think of it, this has to be one of the creepiest scenes in the

> game, especially when it's your first dragon. There's this BIG FRIGGIN'

> LIZARD, and you're sure it's just waiting for you to come within easy

> reach so it can make a meal out of you, wardstone or no wardstone.

> There was more adrenaline in my system before and during this fight than

> at any other moment in the game.

Ooooh, I know what you mean. The shadow dragon was the first one I came across in my Silrana game, which was my first time through, and I remember thinking "I'm really going to fight a dragon! Holy crud!"

> Isn't it annoying that this doesn't work in the game?

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, but it's worth a try.

> Heh heh heh. I know I'm supposed to cheer for Jarran's party, but I hope

> Jan got at least a little singed. :-)

Hehehe, he did.

> Ouch.

> Double ouch ... very good move on the dragon's part, unfortunately.

Yes, but rather painful for Anomen.

> Go, Mazzy! Luckily, it didn't just flop down on top of her.

She knew she was taking one heck of a risk.

> LOL!

*grin* That's what it did in my game. It was fighting Jaheira and then just wandered off.

> Poor boy. :) But I suppose he can still consider himself lucky that he

> wasn't bitten in half.

One thing is for sure, not many people can say they've been in a dragon's mouth and lived.

> Very nice finishing scene. I guess a knife's edge battle is one of the

> best ways to glue people together. You either work together, or you die

> ...

And risking yourself for someone you dislike makes an impression too.

#7 Guest_Anonymous_*

Posted 17 January 2002 - 12:25 AM

> Jan slipped back into the corridor. “The dragon is there all right,

> bigger than life and twice as ugly.”

> Jarran nodded. “And it ignored you?”

> “Sure did. I did a jig under its nose and it never knew I was there. This

> wardstone does the trick.”

Nervous-making, though. I still remember the first time I inched close enough for it to pop out of the fog of war. Yee.

> Anomen said eagerly, “Excellent! We will have the element of surprise on

> our side.”

> Mazzy frowned. “Surely you do not wish to attack the beast? A dragon is

> not to be taken lightly.”

> Anomen started to say something, then checked himself, shooting a glance

> at Jarran. In polite tones he said, “I can assure you that I do not regard

> the creature as an easy opponent. But we have fought a dragon before. This

> armor I wear was made from the scales of a great red that we slew in the

> Windspear Hills. Surely this beast would be no more difficult.”

Heh. Anomen's got a point. I usually do these quests the other way round, because I like the Umar Hills atmosphere better'n I do Windspear. Shadows popping out of nowhere is much niftier than Firkraag's Three-Ring Miscellaneous Monster Circus.

Plus the Shadow Dragon Scale armor looks cooler. :)

> Jaheira said thoughtfully, “Anomen may have the right of it, Jarran. If we

> slay the Shade Lord but leave the dragon unharmed, it may begin to prey on

> the surrounding area. The inhabitants of Imnesvale would still be in

> danger.”

> Jarran said, “What do the rest of you think?”

> “More dragon treasure!”

One guess who said that.

Cal drew the same conclusion Jaheira did, that sans Shade Lord the critter wasn't just gonna go home and bake cookies. I had a heck of a time with the actual battle, though. Thank goodness for Aerie and her wand of lightning. That was the first time I noticed they shoot volleys. :-)

> Jarran considered the problem for a few minutes. “I think we should handle

> things a little differently. When we fought Firkraag, one person took the

> brunt of the injuries because he was always in close combat with the

> dragon. Since we have the luxury of the wardstone, we should surround the

> dragon and then take turns distracting it. We'll keep it on the run, and

> maybe that way nobody gets too badly hurt.”

Good plan. I usually just load up the defensive spells, toss up a coupla traps if I've got Yoshimo, scatter the party around, and hope to heck the critter doesn't target my mage.

> She smiled. “And I am, but Arvoreen has given me a few small gifts. She

> has granted me the ability to grow stronger, at least for a while.”

Mazzy's got the coolest special abilities. Little combat monster, she is. Always wished I could've figured a way to ditch someone else for ToB, but I wanted to hear Nalia's new soundset and the other party members were irreplaceable.

> The dragon reared up with a roar. “How dare you petty fleshlings disturb

> the Shadow Dragon? I shall tear your bodies apart and feast on your

> innards while you whimper and cry for mercy.”

Or not, but, y'know, dragons always gotta sound good. :-)

> The dragon suddenly stopped and began to mutter words. It ignored the

> attempts to distract it, and Jarran was disturbed to see the elemental

> wander off in a daze. But his plan was still working as the warriors took

> turns gaining the monster's attention. He was pleased that the beast had

> not managed to use its fierce breath or its massive wings. The only

> casualties so far had been the summoned humanoids, who had fallen quickly,

> and the dragon was bleeding from a number of wounds.

Phew on the breath weapon--my first-ever runthrough (can't remember with what protagonist) I didn't use Negative Plane Protection, and everybody died.

> in its mouth.

Oh, ow. I can see that happening, too.

> Jarran was about to break off his bardsong so that he could begin a spell

> when he saw Mazzy dart forward. “For Arvoreen!” she cried as she drove her

> sword into the creature's foot. As the dragon yanked its foot back, she

> called out, “Face me, you foul monster!” She waved her sword at it, daring

> it to attack.

Have I said how cool Mazzy is? :)

> The dragon slung its head to the side, sending Anomen flying through the

> air. Jarran winced when he heard a sound like dozens of pots hitting the

> ground. The creature roared, “I will not be taunted by one such as you!

> You shall feel Thaxll'ssillyia's wrath!”

> it.

Hah. And as Sam Gamgee has taught us, nothing like a determined halfling with a sharp pointy thing for stabbing critters in the belly. :)

What's a skald's song do again? It comes to me that I've never actually played as a bard.

> He ran to the priest, who was obviously the most injured of them all. He

> knelt down beside the bleeding man, and winced at the damage done by the

> dragon. Anomen's armor was punctured inward from the beast's crushing

> bite, and barbs of metal had been pushed deep into his flesh. His right

> arm was slashed and torn, and hung uselessly at his side.

> Jaheira knelt down beside them. “Jarran, we must remove this armor,” she

> said urgently. “I cannot heal his flesh around it, and he is hurt too

> badly to wait for the armor to repair itself.”

> Jarran looked at Anomen. The priest was watching him glassily. “I'm sorry,

> my friend, but she's right. Valygar, would you help me?”

> The two men unfastened the straps of the armor, and together pulled the

> breastplate off of Anomen's chest. The knight gave a strangled cry, trying

> his best not to scream as the twisted metal tore free. He managed to gasp

> out, “The back. You'll... have to take off... the back.”

> Gingerly they rolled him over and found that he was correct. The back of

> his armor was in the same condition as the front. Valygar and Jarran

> removed it as well. This time Anomen could not stop a scream of pain.

> Jaheira quickly started her spell of healing while they removed the

> smaller damaged pieces of armor.

Eegh. Vivid.

I like the bit about the self-repairing armor, though. Cromwell would think of that. :)

> She healed his wounds enough that he could cast his own spells, but after

> the long battles against the undead and shadow creatures of the forgotten

> temple, they had few left among them. Seeing that his companions were

> battered and exhausted, Jarran declared that it was time to rest.

Except for some reason you can't, in that room. I often wonder why, since all you have to do is hop downstairs into the temple.

> She looked at him with a surprised expression. “You should rest. You are

> still badly injured.”

> He sat with his back against the chamber wall. “You saved my life.”

> “I was not alone. We all defeated the creature.”

> “No. The dragon would have killed me, but you risked yourself to distract

> it. Why?”

> “Why? Because you are a comrade in arms. I could do no less than my best

> to help you.”

> “But I... was so cruel to you. So... unkind,” he said sleepily. As his

> eyes refused to stay open, he whispered, “Thank you. Didn't deserve...”

> upright.

> Mazzy's eyebrows rose as she studied the sleeping knight. “So, young one,

> you can learn. Perhaps there is hope for you yet.” Her expression

> with a second one. “Perhaps there is hope.”

And a cool end to the chapter. These two are alike enough it's nice to see them starting to come to an understanding.

#8 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 17 January 2002 - 12:54 AM

> Nervous-making, though. I still remember the first time I inched close

> enough for it to pop out of the fog of war. Yee.

That was my reaction... 'I'm supposed to fight *that*?'

> Heh. Anomen's got a point. I usually do these quests the other way round,

> because I like the Umar Hills atmosphere better'n I do Windspear. Shadows

> popping out of nowhere is much niftier than Firkraag's Three-Ring

> Miscellaneous Monster Circus.

*grin* I felt like doing things a bit differently.

> Plus the Shadow Dragon Scale armor looks cooler. :)

I think appearance-wise it's my favorite in the game.

> One guess who said that.

It's pretty much a given.

> Cal drew the same conclusion Jaheira did, that sans Shade Lord the critter

> wasn't just gonna go home and bake cookies. I had a heck of a time with

> the actual battle, though. Thank goodness for Aerie and her wand of

> lightning. That was the first time I noticed they shoot volleys. :-)

He kicked my can all over the place the first time through.

> Good plan. I usually just load up the defensive spells, toss up a coupla

> traps if I've got Yoshimo, scatter the party around, and hope to heck the

> critter doesn't target my mage.

It seemed to work fairly well.

> Mazzy's got the coolest special abilities. Little combat monster, she is.

> Always wished I could've figured a way to ditch someone else for ToB, but

> I wanted to hear Nalia's new soundset and the other party members were

> irreplaceable.

I enjoy her, too.

> Or not, but, y'know, dragons always gotta sound good. :-)

When you're that big and powerful, it's not hard to get cocky.

> Phew on the breath weapon--my first-ever runthrough (can't remember with

> what protagonist) I didn't use Negative Plane Protection, and everybody

> died.

It's pretty nasty. I managed to make it through with no breath weapon and only one wing buffet, which was very lucky.

> Oh, ow. I can see that happening, too.

I'm glad I painted a good image.

> Have I said how cool Mazzy is? :)

*grin*

> Hah. And as Sam Gamgee has taught us, nothing like a determined halfling

> with a sharp pointy thing for stabbing critters in the belly. :)

LOL! I hadn't thought of Sam and Shelob, but it's a pretty good parallel.

> What's a skald's song do again? It comes to me that I've never actually

> played as a bard.

It gives bonuses to the to-hit, damage, and AC. At high levels it also gives the group immunity to fear, confusion, and stunning.

> Eegh. Vivid.

Thankee. It's easy to forget that all those hit points actually mean something in terms of cut flesh and broken bones.

> I like the bit about the self-repairing armor, though. Cromwell would

> think of that. :)

Well, I think that most people have the attitude that magical armor will repair itself. Who would invest all the time and energy into making it if it's going to get trashed in the first good fight? I would think that the stronger the enchantment, the faster repair, but for massive damage like a dragon bite, it would take a little time, and Anomen could have bled to death by then.

> Except for some reason you can't, in that room. I often wonder why, since

> all you have to do is hop downstairs into the temple.

Hehe, artistic license.

> And a cool end to the chapter. These two are alike enough it's nice to see

> them starting to come to an understanding.

Thanks.

#9 Guest_Anonymous_*

Posted 17 January 2002 - 01:01 AM

he is rather scary isn't he? I always get goosebumps at this part. At least Jarren didnt have to listen to the creepy music!

Jan, Jan, Jan. *shakes head* on day those antics will get you killed!!

LOL... hmmm im just not sure on who would say that!!!

We'll keep it on the run, and

Oh no... tempting fate??

> in its mouth.

*shudders*

*goes pale* ugh, quite graphic

*frowns* Will he be okay??

*Smiles* YAY a happy ending!!!!

I was worried about you, Anomen...

#10 Guest_Sarah_*

Posted 17 January 2002 - 01:50 AM

> Ooooh, I know what you mean. The shadow dragon was the first one I came

> across in my Silrana game, which was my first time through, and I remember

> thinking "I'm really going to fight a dragon! Holy crud!"

I love the way those huge buggers just pop onto the screen when you're only a few feet away. :-) Party creeps into lair ... nobody home? ... party creeps forward ... BAM!

> Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, but it's worth a try.

It does? Maybe I was too impatient. After my first two summons got waxed by Death Spells (I think) -- which gave me quite a scare, since I thought the dragon had noticed the party, which luckily wasn't the case -- I got fed up and just jumped the critter without cannon fodder. Got it on the first try, too, and without any dirty tricks. *preens* :)

Then again, I got lucky. It only used its breath once, on my protagonist, who already had the Amulet of Power.

> *grin* That's what it did in my game. It was fighting Jaheira and then just

> wandered off.

Mind-affecting spells can be such a pain. Especially when you're fighting Draconis and, just after he's switched into his dragon form, you realize you totally forgot to buff your party. That was fun. :-)

(Even if I was a writer, I wouldn't dare to use that combat in my stories. Keldorn, Jaheira, Imoen and especially Sarevok would kill me if I detailed how they ran around screaming like babies while little Aerie, of all people, stood her ground with only a hastily-summoned planetar at her side, distracting Mr. Bouncing Dragon so that Khaira, who'd also made her save, could get a Time Stop off and kill Draconis and his minions ...)

> And risking yourself for someone you dislike makes an impression too.

Yes, Mazzy's cool. But I think Anomen would have done the same. Even I have to admit he's not that bad, at least at this stage of the game, and especially this Anomen.

#11 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 17 January 2002 - 01:51 AM

> he is rather scary isn't he? I always get goosebumps at this part. At

> least Jarren didnt have to listen to the creepy music!

LOL! Like that Far Side cartoon that had the animals knowing that they were safe from predators because of the happy music playing in the background.

> Jan, Jan, Jan. *shakes head* on day those antics will get you killed!!

We can only hope... did I say that?

> LOL... hmmm im just not sure on who would say that!!!

Not a clue :)

> Oh no... tempting fate??

Well he did say maybe.

> *shudders*

> *goes pale* ugh, quite graphic

> *frowns* Will he be okay??

Thanks, always nice to see when I get the reaction I'm going for.

> *Smiles* YAY a happy ending!!!!

> I was worried about you, Anomen...

*smiles back*

#12 Arcalian

Posted 17 January 2002 - 05:32 AM

Adrian: Well, seeing as he didnt die and didn't come back running with his butt on fire...

> She smiled. “And I am, but Arvoreen has given me a few small gifts. She

> has granted me the ability to grow stronger, at least for a while.”

Yeah, cool stuff.

Uh oh...

> in its mouth.

AOWTCH!

> Jarran was about to break off his bardsong so that he could begin a spell

> when he saw Mazzy dart forward. “For Arvoreen!” she cried as she drove her

> sword into the creature's foot. As the dragon yanked its foot back, she

> called out, “Face me, you foul monster!” She waved her sword at it, daring

> it to attack.

> distracted. Valygar, having regained his breath, struck a deep gash in the

> back of its neck, and as the dragon whipped its head back up it was struck

> with a bolt of glowing light. Jarran looked quickly around to see where

> the attack had come from, and saw that Anomen had managed to raise himself

> onto his knees, and had a wand in his shield hand.

YAY!

YAY!!

AOWTCH!!

> Anomen wrapped his cloak around the shredded remains of his tunic. His

> armor's enchantment had nearly repaired it, but he was too weak to put the

> armor back on. As the group readied themselves for sleep, he crawled over

> to Mazzy.

> She looked at him with a surprised expression. “You should rest. You are

> still badly injured.”

> it. Why?”

> to help you.”

> upright.

Aye!

Good stuff!

The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

#13 Requiem

Posted 17 January 2002 - 05:32 AM

*grin* That is SO Jan.

> Jarran said, “What do the rest of you think?”

Fight the dragon! Fight the dragon!

Nice strategy from Mazzy. This was one tough dragon.

yes, he can be taught! Good battle scene. I *felt* Anomen's pain...*winces in sympathy* and liked the way you've begun to resolve things between him and Mazzy.

#14 Guest_Mutant Mike_*

Posted 17 January 2002 - 07:57 AM

Can we make a wardstone for Jan?

> Anomen said eagerly, “Excellent! We will have the element of surprise on

> our side.”

OK... You get the party favors, I'll handle the cake.

Sheesh, imagine a dragon trying to blow out birthday candles...

> Jaheira said thoughtfully, “Anomen may have the right of it, Jarran. If we

> slay the Shade Lord but leave the dragon unharmed, it may begin to prey on

> the surrounding area. The inhabitants of Imnesvale would still be in

> danger.”

Waitamintute... Jaheira... just agreed... with Anomen. Doesn't this strike anyone else as being odd?

> Jarran considered the problem for a few minutes.

Minutes? Was everyone else standing around tapping their feet, "Well?!?!"

Jarran:"I'm thinking! Can't you smell the brimstone?!"

(Granted, it shouldn't seem like a hasty decision, but maybe 'moments' would be better than 'minutes'... IMHO. ;) )

> attempts to distract it,

Isn't it frustrating to see how easy it is for your spellcasters to get distracted and lose a spell in mid-cast, but a dragon can't be disrupted while casting?

> air.

I hear a Goofy sound bite.. whenever he goes sailing through the air your hear a panicked scream.

> Jarran winced when he heard a sound like dozens of pots hitting the

> ground.

Loved this description!

If regular bards sing ballads and tell stories... Do skalds sing something like heavy metal - maybe a little early Van Halen, or ACDC...

> Anomen wrapped his cloak around the shredded remains of his tunic. His

> armor's enchantment had nearly repaired it, but he was too weak to put the

> armor back on. As the group readied themselves for sleep, he crawled over

> to Mazzy.

Would it be correct to say 'His armor's enchantment had nearly repaired itself', otherwise it sounds like the armor has repaired his tunic...?

Great fight scene. Good descriptions and nice flow.

Well, after the dragon the Shade Lord is almost a let down. (I guess BW figured you'd just about been eaten by the dragon, better make things easy.)

Oh, and liked the interaction there at the end between Mazzy and Anomen. Almost makes you like the guy again.

More soon?

The Mutant Head-Banger

#15 Weyoun

Posted 17 January 2002 - 09:09 AM

Man, posted already! The Attic has been very fast-paced lately.

LOL!

Did he draw a mustache on his snout as well? ;)

> “Thank you, Jan, I think that lets me know where you stand. Mazzy?

> Valygar?”

Ah, so Jarran is a pretty Democratic leader after all! *grins* ;)

> Jarran considered the problem for a few minutes. “I think we should handle

> things a little differently. When we fought Firkraag, one person took the

> brunt of the injuries because he was always in close combat with the

> dragon. Since we have the luxury of the wardstone, we should surround the

> dragon and then take turns distracting it. We'll keep it on the run, and

Awwwwww.... Ganging up on a poor, defenseless old shadowdragon like that! :D

> The group circled the oblivious dragon and Jarran and Jan began their

> spells to make the creature more vulnerable. When the spells were

> complete, they began their attack.

Shadowdragon : *to friends in Sigil Bar* So I was sitting there minding my own business, twiddling my thumbs, and this group here sneaks up to me and attack! Luckily I knew how to play dead and they fell for it... Made of with my hoard and my best scales too... (grumble, grumble)

Battle is going great!

> He heard an unexpected cry and realized that the fire elemental was

> chasing Jan. Dammit. That means no spells from him. Not good. It seemed

> that that particular moment was when his strategy fell apart. As Jaheira

> ran to help Jan, the dragon bellowed and swung itself around, catching

> Valygar with its great wing and knocking him over. The ranger lay

> breathless and stunned. As the beast snapped at the fallen man, Anomen

> charged forward and struck a hard blow at the joint where the creature's

> wing joined its body. The dragon howled and whipped its neck around far

> faster than Jarran would have thought possible.

Whoa... I hope my own dragonbattles will be half as good as this one!

> in its mouth.

LOL! Reminds of this scene from Godzilla, where the taxi drives in it's mouth and Hank Azaria shouts : We're in his mouth, we're in his mouth! (He sounded a lot like the bartender Moe Szylak for a moment...) :D

Ermmm, I know I shouldn't say this, but I hope a sideorder of Delryn won't make the poor dragon sick! (Poor creature has more than enough problems at the moment) :D

I sense a big mistake in the making for our dragon friend here. ;)

Go Mazzy!

Did the ground shake? I always love it when the ground shakes! ;)

> Jaheira knelt down beside them. “Jarran, we must remove this armor,” she

> said urgently. “I cannot heal his flesh around it, and he is hurt too

> badly to wait for the armor to repair itself.”

Cool! Self-fixing armor!

Ouch! That'll hurt come morning, like Grampa Simpson would say. ;)

> it. Why?”

> to help you.”

> upright.

Ah, and Anomen learns a valuable lesson!

> you can learn. Perhaps there is hope for you yet.”

Well, there is in this story. Not sure about the game, though.

Great stuff! Loved the dragonfight!

---Weyoun

TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#16 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 17 January 2002 - 01:46 PM

> Adrian: Well, seeing as he didnt die and didn't come back running with his

> butt on fire...

True...

> Yeah, cool stuff.

That's why I think of Mazzy as a test paladin for the halfling gods. She really is more than a typical fighter.

> Uh oh...

> AOWTCH!

> YAY!

> YAY!!

> AOWTCH!!

LOL! Loved your running commentary on the battle.

> Aye!

> Good stuff!

Always glad to please.

#17 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 17 January 2002 - 01:57 PM

> *grin* That is SO Jan.

Hehehe, it sure is.

> Fight the dragon! Fight the dragon!

All of Jarran's party: Easy for you to say!

> Nice strategy from Mazzy. This was one tough dragon.

It sure wasn't easy.

> yes, he can be taught! Good battle scene. I *felt* Anomen's pain...*winces

> in sympathy* and liked the way you've begun to resolve things between him

> and Mazzy.

Thanks. Like I said in an earlier post, sometimes I have to remind myself that those hit points mean something to the characters.

#18 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 17 January 2002 - 02:15 PM

> Can we make a wardstone for Jan?

*sighs wistfully* What a beautiful thought.

> OK... You get the party favors, I'll handle the cake.

> Sheesh, imagine a dragon trying to blow out birthday candles...

I suddenly had a mental image of pink icing splattered all over a cave wall.

> Waitamintute... Jaheira... just agreed... with Anomen. Doesn't this strike

> anyone else as being odd?

Well, the AC Jaheira and Anomen can work together. They'll never be best buds or anything, but there is no bad feelings between them.

> Minutes? Was everyone else standing around tapping their feet,

> "Well?!?!"

> Jarran:"I'm thinking! Can't you smell the brimstone?!"

> (Granted, it shouldn't seem like a hasty decision, but maybe 'moments'

> would be better than 'minutes'... IMHO. ;) )

Hey! He's coming up with a plan to kill a dragon! But point taken, it might be better to change it to something like 'the group discussed it for a few minutes'.

> Isn't it frustrating to see how easy it is for your spellcasters to get

> distracted and lose a spell in mid-cast, but a dragon can't be disrupted

> while casting?

Very.

> I hear a Goofy sound bite.. whenever he goes sailing through the air your

> hear a panicked scream.

Aargh!

> Loved this description!

Thanks. A suit of armor is going to make *a lot* of noise.

> If regular bards sing ballads and tell stories... Do skalds sing something

> like heavy metal - maybe a little early Van Halen, or ACDC...

Hehehe, well they're usually associated with battle ballads and rally the troops songs. Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner?

> Would it be correct to say 'His armor's enchantment had nearly repaired

> itself', otherwise it sounds like the armor has repaired his tunic...?

Hmmm, good point. I'll tweak that sentence.

> Great fight scene. Good descriptions and nice flow.

> Well, after the dragon the Shade Lord is almost a let down. (I guess BW

> figured you'd just about been eaten by the dragon, better make things

> easy.)

Ah, but I have plans for that story that should make it interesting. Though the battle part will be far less dramatic, I'm sure.

> Oh, and liked the interaction there at the end between Mazzy and Anomen.

> Almost makes you like the guy again.

Almost? ;)

> More soon?

> The Mutant Head-Banger

I'll try, though I have been laid low again. I've been tired and dragged out since the cold/flu I had a couple of weeks ago, and now I'm sick again. I don't know if it's the old bug coming back or if it left me weak so I caught a new one. We'll see.

#19 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 17 January 2002 - 02:27 PM

> Man, posted already! The Attic has been very fast-paced lately.

Yep, lots of people have been busy.

> LOL!

> Did he draw a mustache on his snout as well? ;)

I don't think even Jan would go that far.

> Ah, so Jarran is a pretty Democratic leader after all! *grins* ;)

Hehehe, not necessarily. By giving them all a chance to give their opinion and air their objections, he could have then found a way to bring them to his side. He already had his own mind made up.

> Awwwwww.... Ganging up on a poor, defenseless old shadowdragon like that!

> :D

*snerk*

> Shadowdragon : *to friends in Sigil Bar* So I was sitting there minding my

> own business, twiddling my thumbs, and this group here sneaks up to me and

> attack! Luckily I knew how to play dead and they fell for it... Made of

> with my hoard and my best scales too... (grumble, grumble)

Give that dragon an Oscar! He was bleeding so convincingly!

> Battle is going great!

> Whoa... I hope my own dragonbattles will be half as good as this one!

> LOL! Reminds of this scene from Godzilla, where the taxi drives in it's

> mouth and Hank Azaria shouts : We're in his mouth, we're in his mouth! (He

> sounded a lot like the bartender Moe Szylak for a moment...) :D

Hehehe, it's definitely weird fighting something that much bigger than yourself.

> Ermmm, I know I shouldn't say this, but I hope a sideorder of Delryn won't

> make the poor dragon sick! (Poor creature has more than enough problems at

> the moment) :D

I don't think he lived long enough to develop food poisioning.

> I sense a big mistake in the making for our dragon friend here. ;)

> Go Mazzy!

Yeehah!

> Did the ground shake? I always love it when the ground shakes! ;)

Hmm, don't remember, but I have the critical hit shake turned off. It was too distracting.

> Cool! Self-fixing armor!

It seems logical, otherwise how would it last any amount of time? You can only fix regular metal so much.

> Ouch! That'll hurt come morning, like Grampa Simpson would say. ;)

Yes indeedy.

> Ah, and Anomen learns a valuable lesson!

Yes...don't get so close to the dragon. Just kidding.

> Well, there is in this story. Not sure about the game, though.

*grin*

> Great stuff! Loved the dragonfight!

> ---Weyoun

Thanks!

#20 Guest_Lord E_*

Posted 17 January 2002 - 04:09 PM

> it. Why?”

> to help you.”

> upright.

Even though I don't like Mazzy: AWWWWWW! And, I must give her that, this is her at her best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com