Photo

To Prove his Worth (on topic) part six

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Arcalian

Posted 26 August 2001 - 08:58 PM

Anomen and Blaine stared down at the carnage below without speaking. It was not the number of bodies which surprised them, nor was it that monsters appeared to be fighting eachother. None of this surprised either of them. What surprised them was the nature of one of the monsters fighting, and how well that one conducted itself.

"Come for me then!" that one bellowed at the surviving goblins, twelve of them. More than twice that number lay dead. Their opponent looked to be an Orc, but....

The skin was a lighter shade of green than it might otherwise be, the tusks smaller and less pronounced. A Half-Orc. Half-Orcs were not unusual in Amn, there were two whole small towns populated by them almost exclusively. This did not, mind you, earn them any trust.

What was surprising about him, aside from how well he spoke, was that he was not one of the half-naked barbarian warriors that were the mainstay of his race. Warrior he was, but well equipped; draped in chain mail like Anomen's own, fitted to his giant frame. In his hands he wielded a halberd, swinging it through the goblins the way a human would chop down trees with an axe.

"What's the matter?" he taunted the gobins, only eight of them left now. "Lost your nerve?!?"

Tanya had joined Blaine and Anomen at the top of the hill. "Should we aid him?" she asked uncertainly.

"He's a Half-Orc," said Anomen, angrily.

"Aye," agreed Blaine. "If he means us harm, he will attack us as well. Though somehow I doubt it."

Anomen grunted suspiciously, but voiced no objection. They charged down the hill.

The Half-Orc noted their coming with a brief glance, then returned his attention to the goblins, splitting the head of one of them with his halberd.

Anomen saw Blaine's amazing kensai skills yet again. Blaine dropped to a crouch and spun, ripping two goblins to shreds. Anomen's hammer slammed into the chest of another, knocking it to the ground, and it's neck broke.

Tanya parried the slash of a goblin's short sword, then butted it in the face with her buckler. As it reeled back, her mace connected with it's head, and it dropped like a stone.

The Half-Orc picked up another of the goblins and threw it into it's two surviving companions, knocking them like ninepins. The one it had thrown was killed by the force of the impact. The other two were badly hurt, and turned to run. One of them ran into Blaine's blade. The other ran right into Anomen and bounced backward, staring in fear. Anomen raised a boot and stomped it down to the grassy ground, then dropped his hammer on it's head.

As the dust began to settle, they turned to look at the Half-Orc, who looked back uncertainly at them.

continued

The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

#2 Requiem

Posted 27 August 2001 - 12:02 AM

> Anomen and Blaine stared down at the carnage below without speaking. It

> was not the number of bodies which surprised them, nor was it that

> monsters appeared to be fighting eachother. None of this surprised either

> of them. What surprised them was the nature of one of the monsters

> fighting, and how well that one conducted itself.

Hmmmm, this is interesting. We haven't had a half-orc before that I recall.

> "Come for me then!" that one bellowed at the surviving goblins,

>

> What was surprising about him, aside from how well he spoke, was that he

> was not one of the half-naked barbarian warriors that were the mainstay of

> his race. Warrior he was, but well equipped; draped in chain mail like

> Anomen's own, fitted to his giant frame. In his hands he wielded a

> halberd, swinging it through the goblins the way a human would chop down

> trees with an axe.

> "What's the matter?" he taunted the gobins, only eight of them

> left now. "Lost your nerve?!?"

Perhaps Anomen's going to have a chance to get to know him better? This could make for some interesting interactions.

> Tanya had joined Blaine and Anomen at the top of the hill. "Should we

> aid him?" she asked uncertainly.

> "He's a Half-Orc," said Anomen, angrily.

You've noticed!

>

> An

> As the dust began to settle, they turned to look at the Half-Orc, who

> looked back uncertainly at them.

Well, you certainly do like cliff-hangers and I like the way you've taken a known character back in time and are using the character in an original story. It seems to me that Anomen is having the opportunity to learn some very valuable lessons about being judgemental. He's already had to deal with the fact that Blaine is a "peasant" and seems to be more accepting of him, particularly since he (Blaine) is so skilled. I'll be interested to see whether (or how) you reconcile this with the still-judgemental game Anomen.

#3 Guest_Devon_*

Posted 27 August 2001 - 04:48 AM

> Tanya had joined Blaine and Anomen at the top of the hill. "Should we

> aid him?" she asked uncertainly.

> "Aye," agreed Blaine. "If he means us harm, he will attack

> us as well. Though somehow I doubt it."

> Anomen grunted suspiciously, but voiced no objection. They charged down

> the hill.

Ah, this will be very interesting. As Jeannette said, it will be quite enlightening to see how Anomen comes to deal with his prejudices, escpecially when he is having to deal with ways of thinking that he has had since birth. I can't wait to see more of your take on that (and I'm still cringing after the conversation Tanya and Blaine had while they thought Ano was asleep - ouch!).

> The Half-Orc picked up another of the goblins and threw it into it's two

> surviving companions, knocking them like ninepins. The one it had thrown

> was killed by the force of the impact. The other two were badly hurt, and

> turned to run. One of them ran into Blaine's blade. The other ran right

> into Anomen and bounced backward, staring in fear. Anomen raised a boot

> and stomped it down to the grassy ground, then dropped his hammer on it's

> head.

I liked this fight scene because it is descriptive without it detracting from the story. I can just imagine Ano going into battle with that hammer of his.

> As the dust began to settle, they turned to look at the Half-Orc, who

> looked back uncertainly at them.

> continued

Hmmm, this I can't wait to see. How many parts are you expecting to do with this? I'm finding this series really anjoyable, so I'd like it to continue.

#4 Laufey

Posted 27 August 2001 - 04:58 AM

Ten points for spotting the obvious, my boy! :) Will be interesting to see how Anomen handles this. Obviously it wasn't enough to get rid of all his prejudices judging from his in-game comments on gnomes and halflings. Like this series, hope to see more soon. :(

Rogues do it from behind.

#5 Arcalian

Posted 27 August 2001 - 01:21 PM

> Hmmm, this I can't wait to see. How many parts are you expecting to do

> with this? I'm finding this series really anjoyable, so I'd like it to

> continue.

I'm not sure exactly, but I think it's safe to say we've not yet reached the halfway mark.

The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

#6 Guest_Dorotea_*

Posted 27 August 2001 - 06:49 PM

Nice to see you continue this one! It is refreshing to read about Anomen's early days adventures.

Now some minor grammar

>> Anomen and Blaine stared down at the carnage below without speaking. It was not the number of bodies which surprised them, nor was it that monsters appeared to be fighting eachother. None of this surprised either of them. What surprised them was the nature of one of the monsters fighting, and how well that one conducted itself.

that the monsters appeared to be

each other

>>This did not, mind you, earn them any trust.

This did not earn them any trust, mind you. -?

>>What was surprising about him, aside from how well he spoke, was that he was not one of the half-naked barbarian warriors that were the mainstay of his race. Warrior he was, but well equipped; draped in chain mail like Anomen's own, fitted to his giant frame. In his hands he wielded a halberd, swinging it through the goblins the way a human would chop down trees with an axe.

Sound like quite a guy to me! lol

>> "What's the matter?" he taunted the gobins, only eight of them left now. "Lost your nerve?!?"

goblins

>>and it's neck broke.

its

>>Tanya parried the slash of a goblin's short sword, then butted it in the face with her buckler. As it reeled back, her mace connected with it's head, and it dropped like a stone.

its

>>The Half-Orc picked up another of the goblins and threw it into it's two surviving

and again its

>>Anomen raised a boot and stomped it down to the grassy ground, then dropped his hammer on it's head.

its

Oh boy that must have hurt!

Hey I look forward to see how Ano would deal with this little surprise. ;)

Considering his 'tolerance' to anything non-human, non-goody-two-shoes it may be quite intense.

http://gamejag.com/WithoutName

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com