(OT) Kaleidoscopes 17: Three Weeks

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_zan_*

Posted 19 July 2001 - 12:17 AM

Back to a reasonable length at last :(

A quick one, in both time taken to read and time taken to write. So, there's probably mistakes. Please, point them out! And as for you Yoshi fans (I can think of two offhand ;)), I'd appreciate criticism of the voice here. Trying to develop it a little from the previous Yoshi part, but it seems to be drifting into Irenicus ;)

Story recap thread below, again :)

Kaleidoscopes 17: Three Weeks

Until the lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter.

- Proverb

It has been three weeks now. Three weeks since she escaped the dungeon, and roughly the same since my own unfortunate end. Almost two since I was charged with her recapture. And still my contract remains unfulfilled.

Perhaps I am losing my touch, neh?

Three weeks of bloodshed and despair on both sides. I have never been so slow to act before. Methodical, perhaps - one should never rush to capture a quarry. One must always understand the target, and learn the patterns they trace, even if time is an absent luxury. This is the respect between hunter and prey. Without it, the art is lost – and in his carelessness, the hunter becomes the hunted.

But three weeks?

She still walks...or stumbles...free through the city, and over time her steps have grown stronger, supported on the shoulders of her kinder comrades. Any delay is unwise, not to mention perilous. I know this. So why has my resolve turned to ice in my stomach?

I missed my chance again last night. I had to kill the Harper assassin, of course, and truly my action should have come sooner. If not for the Avariel, Kizrin would be lying dead in the street. Irenicus had me join with her to prevent such unpleasant incidents - his precious subject would have been of little use to him as a corpse. I suspect Bodhi would be similarly unimpressed, were I to return with a small pile of ashes to act as her salvation.

I do not know what she would do to me, if Kizrin were to fall before ever reaching her.

The assassin posed no further threat, of course, but it would have been unwise to let her live. Puppetmasters are rarely grateful to their pawns - I of all people know this to be true – and my task would become considerably harder if the full force of the Harpers were to come down on my target's head. The woman's death bought me some time, if nothing else. For now, I can only hope Kizrin does not try to escape from the city. Travel would prove impractical, and without my presence she would no doubt get herself killed in some other meaningless fashion...or find another bar to waste a ten-day in.

I know her patterns. I have played her shadow for two weeks, after all. I know her better than any of the foolish moths she collects, than either her would-be guardian or her cold-hearted lover. I watched her house of cards collapse in the night, and watched her drown her sorrows in the morning. Such knowledge offers proof of my skills. Such knowledge is the tool of this trade.

Except I cannot make the final strike. Ah...the famous Yoshimo, unable to capture a quarry? I suspect death has not been kind to me.

Yet in truth, my reputation was not so great. I only adopted the guise of the well-travelled bounty hunter on arriving in Athkatla. Life is easier as a stereotype, and it served as camouflage for my true purpose. The smiling, carefree bounty hunter from the east...or the man who sought revenge and found a vipers' nest.

My mask served me equally well in the dungeon. It satisfied the curious druid, the only one likely to see through the façade. The ranger was...slow, shall we say...and Kizrin and her friend saw nothing. Muyuubyousha, I named them. Sleepwalkers.

I felt sorry for them then. Perhaps I still do. I have watched the actor break the blade...and I can only imagine what Irenicus has done to Imoen.

Still, all this is in the past. The party fractured, leaving me to pay the price of failure - and I will pay again, if I do not act soon. Bodhi has already planned for my failure, but I have no desire to be sidelined again. Perhaps with success, I can win her back. If not, there are other benefits, and other solutions.

It is strange for a kariudo to be quite so dependent on his target. Strange, and also dangerous. So far this quarry has brought me only ruin, and in my heart I expect little change in the future. But nonetheless, I will continue this dance. I will keep her alive for her death at Bodhi's hands, because I have no other choice – or none that I can contemplate at present.

She suspects by now. She must do. Many times I think she has seen me, but then she turns away, as if blind. I know the ranger senses something, though his keen instincts are blunted by the haze of this unfortunate city. But the assassin's body...

I should not have fed on her. It was not only foolish, but shameful. Bodhi can call herself hunter, and sing of the bond between vampire and prey - but ultimately she is little more than an animal. As am I. There is no honour in this hunt...no honour at all, despite all her attempts to pretend otherwise. I have fought the urge for days now, but the attacks are becoming more frequent, and this time it cost me dearly. The arrows were a poor distraction – though Kizrin is a fool at many times, her wits are occasionally as sharp as her blades. I should not have underestimated her. For all my talk of respect, I am becoming careless. No, I suspect I became careless a long time ago.

But even if I do fail, the outcome will be unchanged. Bodhi will find Kizrin with or without my help. All I can do is try, and hope that she does not discard me as her brother did - but I fear he taught her well. Still, I will at least be there to see her decide my fate. A fitting end. She orchestrated every step I took at the end of my life, and my death will be no different.

The clock is ticking, then, for both the hunter and his prey. Perhaps I will deliver the quarry first, or perhaps Bodhi's other plans will ripen before I even bring myself to act. Kizrin, meanwhile, must steal what time she can. Her fate is certain - only the details are undecided.

So let her suspect me as she wishes, or waste her days on apathy. Our paths will cross again. This tale may be played out on borrowed time, and on dictated terms...but in the end, no-one save the puppets has the knowledge needed to write the script.

#2 Guest_zan_*

Posted 19 July 2001 - 12:26 AM

(cue women with big hair and bigger shoulderpads)

Last time on Kaleidoscopes:

Our protagonist, Kizrin (CN Blade), escapes from Irenicus' dungeon. Her state has been fragile enough in the months since Sarevok's death, and recent experiences have proven one blow too many. Abandoning Minsc and Jaheira and evading the curiously persistent Yoshimo, she leaves the city and eventually arrives in Trademeet, where she proceeds to drink herself into a stupor. In one of his rare excursions to town, Valygar meets Kizrin in the bar, and agrees to help her out of her present difficulties. Kizrin will later claim to be rather unhappy about this.

Meanwhile, Irenicus has killed Yoshimo for failing to retrieve Kizrin, and turned his attentions toward Imoen as his potential saviour. Bodhi, having raised and vamped Yoshimo, vows vengeance on her brother, both for abandoning her to her fate and for breaking her favourite possession. She sends out her assassin to find Kizrin, who is now her only source of salvation.

By this time, Kizrin and Valygar have returned to Athkatla, and recruited Anomen, a failed would-be knight with a drinking problem to rival that of both Kizrin and his father. They attempt to contact the City Council for information on the Cowled Wizards, but to no avail; however, they are soon recruited by Raelis Shai to rescue her lost actor, in return for information. Haer'Dalis is soon rescued and joins the party, much to Kizrin's relative delight, Anomen's sheer indifference, and Valygar's undisguised hostility.

Raelis directs them toward the Shadow Thieves, who demand a king's ransom for their services. The party by this time stands divided, with Kizrin and Haer'Dalis on the one side, Anomen and Valygar on the other. Crisis draws them together, when Anomen kills his father in a rage – but any reparations are only temporary. Still divided and searching for work, the party rescue the circus from the illusionist Kalah, gaining the aid of a new member in the process. Aerie joins the party eagerly, and is immediately drawn towards Haer'Dalis, remaining blissfully ignorant of the divisions still rupturing the party.

Suspicious of the rumours rife among the city dwellers, Valygar suggests a nightwatch in the graveyard, but Haer'Dalis convinces both Kizrin and Aerie that this would be a wasted effort. Valygar persuades Anomen to join him, but their vigil is unsatisfying - both in its failure to confirm the rumours, and in Valygar's failure to address Anomen's increasingly black disposition. As first light approaches, Haer'Dalis, Kizrin, and Aerie enter the graveyard...and it is obvious that something has happened between them the previous night.

They had infiltrated the Harper hold in the docks, intending to rescue an old comrade - but a simple rescue mission had turned into a game of chess, with Kizrin the chief pawn. The mission over, a fight with a Harper assassin ended in Aerie's near-death, and broke down the already fragile relationship between Haer'Dalis and Kizrin. Aerie survived, but Haer'Dalis is left distant, and deeply perturbed by the course he finds himself following. Valygar and Anomen, of course, are told nothing.

#3 Guest_Nyx_*

Posted 19 July 2001 - 12:45 AM

> Back to a reasonable length at last ;)

Dammit! The long one was excellent! Grrrrr!

> Until the lions have their historians,

> tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter. - Proverb

I love this quote. :(

Ugh, I'm bad for comments today; I've gotten almost no sleep at all. ;(

But no, he didn't sound like Irenicus!

Good show, zan! :) As always. O_o

Ooooh, impatience. ;)

-Nyx, should take a nap (she mistyped "nap" four times. No joke.)

Parallel Journeys - Nyx's Archive and St

#4 Luned

Posted 19 July 2001 - 01:09 AM

> A quick one, in both time taken to read and time taken to write. So,

> there's probably mistakes. Please, point them out! And as for you Yoshi

> fans (I can think of two offhand ;)), I'd appreciate criticism of the

> voice here. Trying to develop it a little from the previous Yoshi part,

> but it seems to be drifting into Irenicus ;)

Harder to judge your Yoshimo versus "Game Yoshimo" simply because of the twist this story takes.

> Perhaps I am losing my touch, neh? Three weeks of bloodshed and despair

> on both sides. I have never been so slow to act before. Methodical,

> perhaps - one should never rush to capture a quarry. One must always

> understand the target, and learn the patterns they trace, even if time is

> an absent luxury. This is the respect between hunter and prey. Without it,

> the art is lost – and in his carelessness, the hunter becomes the hunted.

> I should not have fed on her. It was not only foolish, but shameful. Bodhi

> can call herself hunter, and sing of the bond between vampire and prey -

> but ultimately she is little more than an animal. As am I. There is no

> honour in this hunt...no honour at all, despite all her attempts to

> pretend otherwise. I have fought the urge for days now, but the attacks

> are becoming more frequent, and this time it cost me dearly. The arrows

> were a poor distraction – though Kizrin is a fool at many times, her wits

> are occasionally as sharp as her blades. I should not have underestimated

> her. For all my talk of respect, I am becoming careless. No, I suspect I

> became careless a long time ago.

Very insightful paragraph--- really gives one a good look into his mind without screaming "Hey! Look at me! I'm revealing my Motivation here!"

Another compelling installment....

Cheesecake is a state of mind.

<i>---John Myers Myers, <u>Silverlock</u></i>

#5 Guest_Mutant Mike_*

Posted 19 July 2001 - 11:16 AM

Another Khool installment! ;D

Poor Yoshi.. The ultimate man-in-the-middle. He just can't win. This whole series has been turned on its ear. I'm curious - and completely aloof - as to what will happen next!

I didn't see any mistakes jump out at me, and to my untrained ear Yoshi sounds relatively consistent througout.

Looks like a three-scritchie-two-chocolate piece for the monstah!

The Chocolate Mutant ;)

#6 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 19 July 2001 - 04:28 PM

> Back to a reasonable length at last :(

Oh, nonsense. The others weren't too long at all.

> And as for you Yoshi fans (I can think of two offhand ;)),

*snicker*

> I'd appreciate criticism of the voice here. Trying to develop it a little

> from the previous Yoshi part, but it seems to be drifting into Irenicus ;)

Not that I noticed.

*rummages*

Krispy Kreme? Darkrose actually left a chocolate-covered one.

Seriously, he sounds like he is reconsidering his devotion to Bodhi and realizing that he is not as important to her as she has been to him.

Interesting.

City of Sorrows

#7 Guest_Arelius_*

Posted 19 July 2001 - 06:06 PM

> Back to a reasonable length at last :(

> fans (I can think of two offhand ;)), I'd appreciate criticism of the

Ok. *cracks nuckles* I'll do my best to oblige.

> Perhaps I am losing my touch, neh? Three weeks of bloodshed and despair

> on both sides. I have never been so slow to act before. Methodical,

> perhaps - one should never rush to capture a quarry. One must always

> understand the target, and learn the patterns they trace, even if time is

> an absent luxury. This is the respect between hunter and prey. Without it,

> the art is lost – and in his carelessness, the hunter becomes the hunted.

> But three weeks ?

Yeah, I can hear his voice saying that this way.

> She suspects by now. She must do. Many times I think she has seen me, but

She must. delete the 'do'.

Nah, can't find's anymore. I think the voice works. I can't read anything there that I'd say I'd change, or that I just can't hear him saying. Great story. Have to admit that I forgot Yoshi was turned to vampire in your story, so that's why I couldn't figure out exactly who killed the assassin in the last episode. Cool though. That was a twist I always liked, even though I forgot about it (Yeah, just keep digging Mark ;D)

#8 Luned

Posted 19 July 2001 - 06:09 PM

> Ok. *cracks nuckles* I'll do my best to oblige.

> Yeah, I can hear his voice saying that this way.

> She must. delete the 'do'.

I'm pretty sure the "must do" phrasing is a British usage. I know I've seen it used in non-American works before.

> Nah, can't find's anymore. I think the voice works. I can't read anything

> there that I'd say I'd change, or that I just can't hear him saying. Great

> story. Have to admit that I forgot Yoshi was turned to vampire in your

> story, so that's why I couldn't figure out exactly who killed the assassin

> in the last episode. Cool though. That was a twist I always liked, even

> though I forgot about it (Yeah, just keep digging Mark ;D)

Cheesecake is a state of mind.

<i>---John Myers Myers, <u>Silverlock</u></i>

#9 Weyoun

Posted 19 July 2001 - 06:45 PM

> But three weeks ?

Yep, Yosh, You're either getting old, or you're getting too attached to/intruiged by your quarry! The bane of the professional! ;)

> She still walks...or stumbles...free through the city, and over time her

> steps have grown stronger, supported on the shoulders of her kinder

> comrades. Any delay is unwise, not to mention perilous. I know this. So

> why has my resolve turned to ice in my stomach?

LOL, "Stumbles" Poor Kizrin...

> I missed my chance again last night. I had to kill the Harper assassin, of

> course, and truly my action should have come sooner. If not for the

> Avariel, Kizrin would be lying dead in the street. Irenicus had me join

> with her to prevent such unpleasant incidents - his precious subject would

> have been of little use to him as a corpse. I suspect Bodhi would be

> similarly unimpressed, were I to return with a small pile of ashes to act

> as her salvation.

Yoshi : *sheepish* Urmmm, here...*hands pile of ashes and runs away as fast as his legs can carry him, leaving a screeching Bohdi behind*

> Except I cannot make the final strike. Ah...the famous Yoshimo, unable to

> capture a quarry? I suspect death has not been kind to me.

Great line!

> Yet in truth, my reputation was not so great. I only adopted the guise of

> the well-travelled bounty hunter on arriving in Athkatla. Life is easier

> as a stereotype, and it served as camouflage for my true purpose. The

> smiling, carefree bounty hunter from the east...or the man who sought

> revenge and found a vipers' nest.

There's something I didn't expect... Yoshi a fraud? Never! ;) Quite a turn of events though...

> I should not have fed on her. It was not only foolish, but shameful. Bodhi

> can call herself hunter, and sing of the bond between vampire and prey -

> but ultimately she is little more than an animal. As am I. There is no

> honour in this hunt...no honour at all, despite all her attempts to

> pretend otherwise.

Wow... A struggle between honour and nature... And very well brought.

> The clock is ticking, then, for both the hunter and his prey. Perhaps I

> will deliver the quarry first, or perhaps Bodhi's other plans will ripen

> before I even bring myself to act. Kizrin, meanwhile, must steal what time

> she can. Her fate is certain - only the details are undecided.

> So let her suspect me as she wishes, or waste her days on apathy. Our

> paths will cross again. This tale may be played out on borrowed time, and

> on dictated terms...but in the end, no-one save the puppets has the

> knowledge needed to write the script.

Wow, a well-written passage, hanging the sword of Damocles above Kizrin's unknowning head...

Great installment! Looking forward to more!

---Weyoun

TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#10 Guest_Devon_*

Posted 20 July 2001 - 08:15 AM

Very, very nice. I was wondering who had killed the Harper assassin, and I like the way you've re-worked Yoshimo back into the plot. I think you've captured his voice really well, but I should probably leave that to the experts to comment on (like OGirl! And Lara!). So if this was the shortened version, what was the original version like? Shame on you, Zan! ;)

*sigh*

I swear, I can't get enough of Kizrin and her gang. Write quickly! :)

#11 Guest_zan_*

Posted 20 July 2001 - 09:49 AM

> Dammit! The long one was excellent! Grrrrr!

Heh, I can't keep the pace up ;) 2-3 pages is my usual limit...

> But no, he didn't sound like Irenicus!

I think at a certain point in the evening (2am, for example), everyone starts to sound like Irenicus. :)

> Good show, zan! ;)

Cheers m'dear ;)

> Ooooh, impatience. :D

4 parts. Ish :D

> -Nyx, should take a nap (she mistyped "nap" four times. No

> joke.)

Hopefully you're refreshed by now ;) I still haven't had my morning cup of coffee - and it's half ten already. I'm surprised I'm still upright.

zan

#12 Guest_zan_*

Posted 20 July 2001 - 09:57 AM

> Poor Yoshi.. The ultimate man-in-the-middle. He just can't win. This whole

> series has been turned on its ear. I'm curious - and completely aloof - as

> to what will happen next!

Aloof? Well, either way, Stuff Will Happen soon. Can't spend another 32 parts sitting around outside Spellhold...though I expect I'll try ;)

> I didn't see any mistakes jump out at me, and to my untrained ear Yoshi

> sounds relatively consistent througout.

Consistency's half the battle :D Making sure I have the right voice to keep consistent is the other.

> Looks like a three-scritchie-two-chocolate piece for the monstah!

Chocolate? Ooh! Watch out, I might hold you to that :) After a full academic year of pasta, pasta, and, on special occasions, pasta , some chocolate sounds very nice...very, very nice indeed...in fact...

(wanders off to garage)

zan

#13 Guest_zan_*

Posted 20 July 2001 - 10:12 AM

> Ok. *cracks nuckles* I'll do my best to oblige.

Eep! ;)

In the red corner....six foot six, 250 pounds, and ready to kick arse, it's ARELIUS!

And in the blue corner....five foot three, 113 pounds, and cowering behind the post, it's ZAN!

> She must. delete the 'do'.

I've got to admit, "She must do" is the way I would speak it. Luned may be right about the US/UK difference.

But, it's supposed to be Yoshi's voice. And he's closer to US English, like most BG characters. Hmm...

> Nah, can't find's anymore. I think the voice works. I can't read anything

> there that I'd say I'd change, or that I just can't hear him saying. Great

> story. Have to admit that I forgot Yoshi was turned to vampire in your

> story, so that's why I couldn't figure out exactly who killed the assassin

> in the last episode. Cool though. That was a twist I always liked, even

> though I forgot about it (Yeah, just keep digging Mark ;D)

LOL! Need a shovel? :)

This is why I post the Story Recap thread, Mark! :D Nah, I understand though - it's hard to follow serieses (serii?), especially at my slow posting pace.

Still, cheers for the comments :D

zan

#14 Guest_zan_*

Posted 20 July 2001 - 10:17 AM

> Oh, nonsense. The others weren't too long at all.

Too long for me to write, though. Too much brain power ;)

> *rummages*

> Krispy Kreme? Darkrose actually left a chocolate-covered one.

More chocolate? Mmm, I should write Yoshi more often :)

I've no idea what Krispy Kremes are, but chocolate is good :D Darkrose, how could you leave one behind?

> Seriously, he sounds like he is reconsidering his devotion to Bodhi and

> realizing that he is not as important to her as she has been to him.

Exactly, hit the nail on the head :D I'm pleased that came across - didn't want to keep him static. He's got a lot of time left yet...

zan

#15 Guest_zan_*

Posted 20 July 2001 - 10:25 AM

> Yep, Yosh, You're either getting old, or you're getting too attached

> to/intruiged by your quarry! The bane of the professional! ;)

Or too dead :) Nah, he's got his own problems to worry about...not just a simple job anymore, is it?

> Yoshi : *sheepish* Urmmm, here...*hands pile of ashes and runs away as

> fast as his legs can carry him, leaving a screeching Bohdi behind*

Yeah! Exactly the image I had in mind ;)

...it'd be a great ending, if nothing else. What, you thought I'd keep black crows flying for another 17 parts? ;D

> There's something I didn't expect... Yoshi a fraud? Never! :D Quite a turn

> of events though...

Oh, I know - it's like suggesting he'd turn traitor, for crying out loud...

> Wow, a well-written passage, hanging the sword of Damocles above Kizrin's

> unknowning head...

It's all go now. Well, until the next Kizrin narration, which ought to slow everything right down again :D

> Great installment! Looking forward to more!

Thanks! ;)

zan

#16 Guest_zan_*

Posted 20 July 2001 - 10:28 AM

> Very, very nice. I was wondering who had killed the Harper assassin, and I

> like the way you've re-worked Yoshimo back into the plot. I think you've

> captured his voice really well, but I should probably leave that to the

> experts to comment on (like OGirl! And Lara!). So if this was the

> shortened version, what was the original version like? Shame on you, Zan!

> ;)

Nah, this one was always this long :) I needed a break after the last few parts, which spiralled off into 4-5 pages...I should do another Bodhi, those liven things up a bit. One and a half pages of acidic venom - she's just not the philosophising type ;D

> I swear, I can't get enough of Kizrin and her gang. Write quickly! :D

Thanks :D Heh, I might fit another one in before the end of the quiz. Ends on Sunday, doesn't it?

zan

#17 Guest_zan_*

Posted 20 July 2001 - 10:30 AM

> Harder to judge your Yoshimo versus "Game Yoshimo" simply

> because of the twist this story takes.

Good point. His voice is essentially the same, though, save for a more obvious bitterness than the game version.

> Very insightful paragraph--- really gives one a good look into his mind

> without screaming "Hey! Look at me! I'm revealing my Motivation

> here!"

Well, I've been guilty of bashing people over the head with concepts before - so now I'm going for a more toned down approach (zan finally got round to looking up "subtlety" in the dictionary ;))

> Another compelling installment....

Cheers :)

zan

#18 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 20 July 2001 - 10:49 AM

> Too long for me to write, though. Too much brain power ;)

Ah. Yes, annoying, that.

> More chocolate? Mmm, I should write Yoshi more often :)

*grin*

> I've no idea what Krispy Kremes are, but chocolate is good :D Darkrose,

> how could you leave one behind?

Doughnuts. Light, fluffy, sugar-glazed doughnuts. Compared to what she had always known as doughnuts, these have the texture of cotton candy.

And she simply ran out of sugar tolerance. You see, they're so light you don't realize how many you've eaten until you've either run out of them or have almost made yourself sick on them.

> Exactly, hit the nail on the head :D I'm pleased that came across - didn't

> want to keep him static. He's got a lot of time left yet...

Good. *eg*

City of Sorrows

#19 Guest_Anonymous_*

Posted 20 July 2001 - 02:23 PM

> Back to a reasonable length at last ;)

Aww, bummer. :/

> fans (I can think of two offhand :)), I'd appreciate criticism of the

Hmm... nope. Nope. I don't see any Irenicus. Well, I do, but that's because your Yoshi is very bitter. Actually, everyone in Kaleidoscopes is very bitter. Except Aerie; she's just a little bitter. :D

Now, zan... you know I can't pick any single part out of this! Why must you be so cruel?! And what's all this about a longer original? Can I pay to get that? How much?? (C'mon... :D Well, anyway, here: chocolate and scritchies. You definitely earned them this time!! ;)

#20 Guest_Anonymous_*

Posted 20 July 2001 - 03:19 PM

> Back to a reasonable length at last :)

What's wrong with long, huh?

> Trying to develop it a little from the previous Yoshi part,

Nope, don't really get the feel of Irenicus here. I think Yoshi would have to inject a lot more self-assurance and arrogance into his thoughts before there was any danger of that happening.

Another excellent but sad installment. I wish there was some way Yoshimo could manage to avoid the inevitable but I just don't see that happening. Sigh…

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com