Child of Murder 11 - The Torment That Ec

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Nyx_*

Posted 16 July 2001 - 08:41 AM

Well, it has been quiet, hasn't it? Even more so than an average weekend. I suppose there are always ups... and downs... and ups! And downs. :)

I owe almost everyone I know an email, and consider this a formal apology to anyone who falls under that heading.

Here's another one of my patented weird formatting stories. It's fairly bizarre, but what can we do? There's not much to say this time, other than that there's an unusually low ratio of Minsc insults to inner monologue today. Or maybe I'm just tired.

Lara, be happy, we've got Yoshi. :)

Mark, never say I didn't Tell You Another Story. :) Now, don't you regret asking? :)

Much thanks to zan for her invaluable assistance in working with this evil bugger of a story. I'm still self-conscious about it, but a good bit less than before (and thinking about "things left unsaid" got me to revise the conversation a bit, too. :)

Some of the italic sections are partially pulled from a previous installment of CoM. The others aren't.

Damn I'm nervous. ;X

Well. Without further ado...

The Story So Far...

Darvith (Our "hero", the spectacularly vain Ward of Gorion and Child of Murder) killed his brother, Sarevok, along with help from his companions Montaron, Viconia, Eldoth, Edwin and Shar-Teel. After the battle, however, they began to go their separate ways, and in the end, it was only Darvith and Viconia (his longtime lover.) Together, they were mercenaries in Baldur's Gate, soon joined by Darvith's foster sister Imoen and long-abandoned "guardians" Jaheira and Khalid. And after a time, Viconia too, left (CoM Prologue.) Darvith continued to work with Jaheira, Khalid and Imoen but unknown to any of his companions, Darvith had put his passion for death and poisons to work at a far darker profession after hours. Only Khalid suspected there was danger beneath his friendly guise (CoM1.)

In time, Khalid confronted Darvith, and was killed in the ensuing struggle. Before this could come to light, the lot of them were kidnapped by Jon Irenicus (CoM2.) For an indeterminate period of time, Irenicus tortured Darvith, who escaped the pain through a series of dreams/hallucinations before being rescued by Imoen(CoM3.) Together he, Imoen, Jaheira, and Imoen's friend Minsc began their escape (CoM4.) Over the next hours, they encountered a mephit room, a riddling genie (CoM5) and a room of semi-dead men in bottles (CoM6.) After Darvith assassinated a dwarf, they managed to re-equip to some degree in Irenicus' armory, as well as reclaim the Sword of Chaos which had once belonged to Sarevok (CoM7.)

Unfortunately, though progress seemed fine, Imoen was not. Finding Irenicus' bedroom, complete with a half-done painting of Imoen, triggered a confrontation between brother and sister that left Imoen near catatonic and Darvith overcome with rage. He left her with the dryads to calm himself, and her (CoM8) and he, Jaheira, and Minsc investigated a round bedroom, finding the key to a portal the dryads described as the way out. Darvith retrieved Imoen (CoM9) and together they encountered a captured cambion whom Imoen, in a trance of sorts, nearly freed from captivity.

As they left, they were confronted by clay golems. After throwing Imoen through the portal, Darvith was just barely saved from death by the actions of Ulene, the leader of the dryads. The battle, however, left his hands severely injured. Stumbling through the portal, he found himself on the floor, surrounded by his companions and being watched by Yoshimo, who was up against a wall with Darv's dagger to his throat, when last we left them...(CoM9)

And here we are.

Child of Murder

Chapter Eleven: The Torment That Echoes

“Life being what it is, one dreams of revenge.”

-Paul Gauguin-

Yoshimo?

“Assistance?” I hiss in his ear, “You certainly do not behave as one worthy of our assistance. Indeed, I would say your behavior is more in line with an agent of our foes. Friends do not skulk about in shadows, mm?” Strands of his hair are tangled around my fingers, cutting off the circulation. Blood dribbles down my wrists. My palms ache and throb.

Yoshimo stands like a cat frozen in contemplation of danger. “Calm yourself,” he says, “I had no choice but to watch and confirm that you were not in league with the evil that dwells in this unholy place.” He maintains his composure admirably, even with a dagger to his throat.

Minsc scowls in his ridiculous fashion. “We serve no evil mages, no sir!” he says, “But Boo looks upon you with suspicion, little man.” The hamster squeaks, and I attempt not to growl under my breath. “Never have I seen his whiskers quiver so!”

…Perhaps if I were to cut out his tongue…

Well, there will be time for that later.

Jaheira grips her scimitar. “You skulk in the shadows like an assassin, and with all we have seen and suffered, we have little reason to trust in strangers.”

I press my blade closer to Yoshimo's throat. He does not flinch.

“Still,” Jaheira continues, her voice firm and her eyes on my hand, or his throat. I am uncertain which. “It is uncharitable to leap upon the man as though he were already convicted of treachery. We should hear him out.” Hear him out. Oh very well, Jaheira, why not? After all, we have not wasted enough time, just yet.

“Very well,” I say, “You are correct.” Jaheira nods in response as I speak into Yoshimo's ear closely enough that I am intrigued by his ease of stance. “Tell me. How did you come to be here, mm? Does this sorcerer collect any idiot who wanders into his path?”

The man grimaces. “I am no idiot. I am Yoshimo!” He pauses, looking at me from the side of his eyes, then frowns. “You know. Yoshimo?

Imoen rubs her arms as if chilled. “I've never heard of you.”

His shoulders slump slightly, and he sighs. “You must be new to Athkatla.”

Jaheira raises an eyebrow. “Athkatla?” She asks. The shadow of hope falls over her face. I suppose she is familiar with the place, then? Harper business and such.

“We have never been to Athkatla,” I say. “Are you saying that is where we are now?” A thought both intriguing and off-putting; I do not appreciate being on unfamiliar grounds so soon after such an experience as this. Even so, it is good to connect our physical position to an actual city rather than an unknown “somewhere.”

The man pauses for a long time, licking his lips. “I am unsure. When I arrived I was drugged, or unconscious. If it were the former, there is no telling how long I have traveled. If it were the latter, I doubt I could have been carried far.” He looks at me for a moment. “I would be grateful if you would remove the dagger from my throat.”

I stare at him. His face sparks memories. I push them aside and return to the business at hand. “You cannot be serious. You have done nothing to prove yourself trustworthy.”

Imoen's hand rests lightly on my shoulder. “Come on Darv. What's he gonna do with all four of us here?”

Ah Imoen, you would be quite shocked at the capabilities of one man. And regardless of one's prowess, there is always another of greater threat. Of course it is unlikely that this Yoshimo is a living legend in disguise, and thus unlikely that he is particularly dangerous to the lot of us together, but even so I pull the dagger from his throat only reluctantly. I watch every breath and every movement as Yoshimo relaxes and touches his neck.

Freed from immediate threat, he takes a deep breath and glances up at me. “My thanks. I find my neck quite useful in continued speech, as well as continued life.”

I look him over again. “You remind me of someone I once knew,” I tell him. “A woman, Tamoko. Kara-Turan, are you? She was the same.” He is fairly petite, though in impeccable shape, and his darkly stained leather armor has been fit specifically for his body, I am certain. His garments are hardly the tattered uniform of Irenicus' prisoners. Strange that he would still carry his personal equipment, when ours was so thoroughly stripped away.

“Kozakuran, my friend,” he says, his voice slightly stiff though I cannot imagine why. “I came to Faerun in pursuit of my fortune. My profession is quite overrun, at home.”

“And what profession is that?” Jaheira asks, folding her arms over her chest.

“Those of Faerun call me 'Bounty Hunter,'” he says with a crooked grin, “But do not worry. There is no bounty on your head.” Anymore. “I have gained quite a name in this area. Perhaps I crossed the wrong man, however, as one night I went to bed, and awoke in a strange room with a very sore head. I do not know how long I was there before awakening.”

Imoen looks at him. “It can't have been that long. He would've taken your stuff.”

Yoshimo blinks. “Ah yes, that is a good point, young one,” he says, a line of thought appearing on his brow. “Perhaps my old commissions have not yet dried, then. I do not know how to escape this place, but if you would assist, I am certain you would not regret it,” He looks over our scraps of armor and sub-par weaponry. The only things of true use we possess are Minsc's ill-fit armor and the Sword of Chaos, strapped to my back. “We are more likely to escape together than alone”

Are we, really? I am not so certain of that. Still, it is better that he is before us than behind.

I nod briskly. “Very well.” As he moves away from the wall and toward the center of the hall, I follow him with my gaze. “But I will watch your every move.”

“My apologies,” he says, and his smile sends wrinkles spreading from the corner of his eyes and mouth. “But I am not terribly interesting to watch.”

“For the next handful of minutes at least,” I say, “You are the most interesting thing in the bloody world, to me.”

I am suffocating in all this quiet. Every step seems muffled by the oppressive silence. Were we free this could be a weapon if used properly, but here it serves only to remind me how unfamiliar a place this is, even compared to the previous stretch of prison. The walls have changed, the floors have changed and now even the echoes have shriveled into nothing. I have grown accustomed to the noises: grinding, laughter, and footsteps in the distance. Each one told us we had left something behind, or had something yet to meet. Here, there is no way to know what lives inside these halls. Perhaps it is nothing.

Perhaps.

The door before us stands open. Stepping over the threshold I scan the room, a cursory look for any obvious dangers. More bookcases and display cases. Crates in against walls, or in the center of the room (well, one knows for certain the man has sufficient storage space.) Black metal cages. Bottles filled with liquid. Shelves filled with oddities. The preserved corpse of a bat. The dissected corpse of a rabbit. There is death everywhere. The room smells like nothing.

Surgical equipment lies abandoned on large, man-sized tables. Streaks of blood stain the floor and this room is so cold I see only what any human would. It is fortunate then that the room is illuminated, though only barely, by ever-present balls of magical light. I have grown to rely too strongly on infravision.

Yet even in the dimness I see the corpse lying on a table, organs I presume to be his kept in jars along his side. Imoen grips my arm, and looks away.

“Don't make me see anymore death,” she whispers. There is yearning in that voice, as well. “Don't make me see this death. Not again.”

This death? I look across the room. In the dim light, I see a small-boned hand, and brown hair spread around slightly pointed ears and a hollow-cheeked face.

In my mind, I hear his voice.

“I l-looked in your room, when you were gone. I f-found these.” Paper at my feet. Maps. Notes. He looks at me as though he expects repentance, or apologies. He will get neither.

Now I know whose corpse this is.

I move toward the table and Imoen's hand holds me back for a stretch of two steps, refusing to let me proceed. Finally, she snaps away. Footsteps walk with mine, too light to be Minsc, too heavy to be either dear Imoen or our new “friend.”

“You a-accept Him as your f-father. You accept B-Bha—” He moves toward me, awkward even in anger.

I study his every movement. “I accept myself. Can you say the same?”

There are knives scattered everywhere. Across the floor. On the table. On bookshelves. Some are clean, some covered in black blood that clings to their surface or chips off into flakes and powder around the blade. The clean ones glimmer.

Jaheira's wail tears from her throat, the sound of intermingled anguish and rage. I stare down at the face on the table, if one could still call it a face.

“I accept my d-duty. My duty to myself, and to G-Gorion. He tried to make you a g-good person, no m-matter what you were, and where your b-blood came from. He f-failed, and so did I.”

Greenish-red skin covers his head and neck. Blisters mar his exposed flesh. He is bloated and disfigured. His chest is open and his skin peeled back to expose decaying muscles, and emptiness where organs should be.

Jaheira screams again.

“J-Jaheira and I were to g-guide you. We were to h-help you become a m-man who would make Gorion p-proud.”

“Calm down!”

“N…no, let me go, Imoen. This cannot be. Khalid!”

I smirk just a bit.

Jaheira's thrashing throws a bottle falls to the floor and it smashes. It is empty, save for embalming fluid.

“Well then. I suppose you did fail, didn't you?”

“Illusion… dream! It cannot be real…” Another scream. No, this one is a mangled sob. It is often difficult to tell the difference.

“Y-yes.”

The corpse is almost unrecognizable. Almost. There is enough of him remaining that we cannot have been here too terribly long.

“Damn you. Damn you.”

“But I can st-stop you now.”

Or perhaps he kept the body fresh.

Jaheira's fists pound the table at Khalid's unmoving side.

Minsc's form moves forward a step. Imoen blocks his path. “No Minsc,” she says. “Don't.”

“Damn you for leaving me…”

The freezing air bites my skin. Preservation, I realize.

“I will have the heart of the monster who has done this. I will tear their… I will. No. No….” She sobs and screams and I watch.

“You fail again," I say, "But this time, you die.” Khalid's blood pools beneath him, staining the carpeting below him. Whatever will I tell the cleaning staff?

Imoen grabs Jaheira's shoulders. “He didn't suffer. I-I saw it… I saw it done-"

“You saw… you saw this… done to him?”

His blood stains my fingers, my blade, my shirt.

I touch bloodstains on the remnants of the shirt. His blood, or mine?

“He was already dead. He was already dead when—“

“I won't hear this. I will not listen.”

His last word is stumbled out, like everything he has ever said.

“Khalid…”

“J-Jaheira…”

“It seems he is gone,” I say, softly. Stating the obvious of course, but to a reasonable effect. She flinches when I say the word. “I had suspected he might be.”

She shrinks away and glares at me with eyes of ice. “You! You suspected. Why? Why?”

“It seemed a possibility.” My words are chosen carefully, and spoken gently. “And a rather great one. He was not with us. He seemed to be nowhere.” She stares at me blankly. “I was prepared for this,” I tell her. And it is, of course, true. “But I am sorry for your loss.” Perhaps not so true.

“Stop! No more words. Words are nothing. What do you know of words? What do you know of loss?”

“Idiot,” The words come before I can stop them. “Do not ask such inane questions. I watched my father gutted before my eyes. Never ask me what I know of loss.” I hear my own voice, cutting and uncontrolled.

“You saw him die but you did nothing,” Jaheira shrieks, her hands in fists at her side. “How dare you compare?”

“I could do nothing. The fool died protecting me – he threw himself on a blade for my sake.” Breathe deeply. Calm yourself. I look away from her, to Khalid, lying still.

It has been some time since I last looked on a man's corpse at any length. The clichés are a lie. He does not look at all asleep.

“Do not look at him,” She screams, “You do not deserve to see. Bastard! Heartless bastard! You insult your father for protecting you? My Khalid is dead. If it had been me, if I had the chance … I would have thrown myself in front of the blade to save him.”

What? I stare at her.

“Do you have 'feelings,' abbil?” Viconia asks me, “I wonder sometimes, when you speak of your father. Such ice in your voice. I have not heard such heartlessness since I left Underdark.” We are reclined inside our shared room in Feldepost's Inn, and her slim fingers trace patterns on my chest.

Jaheira is still sobbing. “I did not have a chance to see… I did not have a chance to… to… shut up. Just shut up. Leave me. Everyone leave me. I do not want your voices. The only voice I wish to hear is… is dead.”

Viconia's eyes are blue diamonds against the oblivion of her skin. I stare into her unflinching gaze. "I watched him die again and again." Those images are burned in my mind. They repeat in my dreams. "I grew used to the sight." At first, when he fell, there was only emptiness.

Jaheira slides to the floor at the side of the table, and I watch as she speaks her prayers to Silvanus below her breath. I hear her voice, thick and stumbling and empty. She clutches herself and stops, and then starts again.

Heartless bastard, she called me. Heartless for not throwing myself on Sarevok's blade when Gorion sent me away. Heartless for not dying in his stead. He would never have allowed me to. I would never have wanted to. Heartlessness is relative. Everything is relative. I look away.

“Yes.” I say. “I have a heart.” I am losing myself in her gaze. How detestably weak-minded. I look away.

Yoshimo shifts uncomfortably.

“Khalid of my heart,” Jaheira whispers, “Let my love… let my love guide the way…”

Viconia sneers as she stands. White sheets fall away from bare skin as she grabs for her robe.

“Such a shame,” she purrs, in that voice like razors in honey. “I was beginning to think you admirable.”

Imoen pulls me away from Jaheira. “Give her some privacy, okay? I think she maybe needs a second to think.”

“We do not have time,” I say, still watching Jaheira. “Irenicus could return at any moment.”

Yoshimo nods. “It is true. But perhaps a moment is not too long, ne?” He looks at me so oddly, and I raise an eyebrow. “I have lost a sister recently,” he says, “When I heard she was gone, I was filled with rage. But with time alone, I soon found that I knew what I must do.”

“Avenge her?” I ask. It is all I can imagine could be done.

“Yes,” he says. “That is precisely it.”

Jaheira stands suddenly, and approaches us, her hands still shaking, and sweat on her brow. “Come. Quickly. We must go. We do not know how much time we have. Let us escape this… this grave, and seek the light above.”

“Wait, Jaheira,” Imoen bites her lip, and takes a breath before continuing. “S…shouldn't we try to get him back? I mean, it could work.” Damn. That is all we need. That is all I need. A raised Khalid bumbling over his words, tripping on his feet and telling tales best left unspoken.

“I, more than anyone, know the ways life can return,” Jaheira says, then moves toward the door. “But there is a line which… cannot be crossed. He has been… desecrated, not only killed. No. I will honor him with vengeance. There will be payment for this crime… and I will not rest until it is collected.”

Well. That is better then.

Imoen shakes her head. “I still think we should try to –“

Jaheira spins around, her lips a tight line, her eyes blazing. “Your opinion is that of a fool who thinks magic and spells are the only forces which shape our lives!” Oh my, what venom. “You will learn that… that some things are unalterable and that I cannot… Enough. I would leave this place.”

Jaheira disappears down the hall.

Minsc watches her leave, strangely silent. When he looks back, his face is not the befuddled daze it has always been. His mouth is set in a slight frown, and he shakes his head. “Minsc knows loss as well,” he says, “I will go and watch over her.” He wanders through the door. For a moment, the entire doorframe seems eclipsed by his bulk, and then he is in the hallway and moving farther away with each passing moment. His gait is not unlike some lumbering beast, and like such a beast, his steps shake the ground underfoot.

Yoshimo follows a few steps, then stops and looks back me, and at Imoen. “Why do you think she would not raise him?” he asks, “If I had been there when my sister died, I would not have allowed anyone or anything to stop me from bringing her to a temple.”

I shrug slightly. “I could not say. She is capable enough of raising men on her own. Perhaps she knows him to be beyond salvation. Or perhaps it is against her beliefs in the wonder of nature.” I try to keep the sarcasm from my voice, but likely fail. This place wears on my nerves, and the tide of emotion drains at my patience.

Imoen wrinkles her nose. “Don't be mean. I think she should have tried… but he doesn't look like…” she sighs. “I can't talk about this anymore. I don't want to think about it anymore. Come on, let's go.” She slips her arm onto mine. I wave my hand, prodding Yoshimo forward, and he steps in front of us, nodding just slightly. Better before than behind, after all.

I match my pace to his, staying far enough back to be outside his reach, and yet close enough to react if he should do anything… unwarranted. “I am curious, Yoshimo,” I say, “about this sister of yours.”

He does not answer.

Parallel Journeys - Nyx's Archive and St

#2 Guest_zan_*

Posted 16 July 2001 - 11:51 AM

> Well, it has been quiet, hasn't it? Even more so than an average

> weekend. I suppose there are always ups... and downs... and ups! And

> downs. :)

And ups! (Optimism makes the world go round :))

Well, you know my thoughts on this one :D I do prefer this ending, and I notice that you've fleshed out most of the paragraphs a little more (with description, internal thoughts, etc), which is A Good Thing. The dialogue flows well too.

A few comments:

> “Well then. I suppose you did fail, didn't you?”

You missed the italics on this one ;) The order's fairly obvious though.

> His last word is stumbled out, like everything he has ever said.

>

> “Khalid…”

>

> “J-Jaheira…”

I *really* like this addition...

> “I could do nothing. The fool died protecting me – he threw himself on a

> blade for my sake.” Breathe deeply. Calm yourself. I look away from

> her, to Khalid, lying still.

Hard to keep wearing a mask, isn't it?

> “Do you have 'feelings,' abbil?” Viconia asks me, “I wonder sometimes,

> when you speak of your father. Such ice in your voice. I have not heard

> such heartlessness since I left Underdark.”

Think the conversation works better this way, split up - and using thoughts as well as speech also improves.

> “Avenge her?” I ask. It is all I can imagine could be done.

Drawing more parallels between them is good; gives us an insight into Darvith, as well as introducing Yoshimo.

Hmm...I think this is now one of my favourite sections in the series so far, in its revised state...it just works so well as a whole. Also one of the best Khalid discovery scenes I've ever read, even taking into account the extra dimension here. Good show, Nyx ;)

zan

#3 Guest_Arelius_*

Posted 16 July 2001 - 04:05 PM

> Mark, never say I didn't Tell You Another Story. ;) Now, don't you regret

> asking? :)

Hey, I liked the turtle story. ;D

> together, but even so I pull the dagger from his throat only reluctantly.

> I watch every breath and every movement as Yoshimo relaxes and touches his

> neck.

> Freed from immediate threat, he takes a deep breath and glances up at me.

> “My thanks. I find my neck quite useful in continued speech, as well as

> continued life.”

Might have him say 'throat' here. You just used neck up above. Feels just slightly repetetive. Maybe even another word for that might be in order since you switch back and forth a lot here between neck and throat. Another word for it eludes me right now, though. Spine? Base of the head? Fred?

> Were we free this could be a weapon if used properly,

This is just a little bit awkward. Had to read it a few times to get the cadence right.

> I smirk just a bit.

> Jaheira's thrashing throws a bottle falls to the floor and it smashes. It

> is empty, save for embalming fluid.

> “Well then. I suppose you did fail, didn't you?”

This last line had me wondering if he said it out loud. Was this the one zan said should have been italicized? That would have cleared it up, I think.

And that's about it for critique. I really liked the intermixing of scenes, and I thought you did it great. I don't think, outside of that one line I mentioned, I ever lost track of what scene you were in, even though you had a few going. Bringing Viconia back into it to slap him in the face over his heartless nature, fantastic. I can just see him trying to explain away that being heartless does not break his feelings of perfection he has for himself.

And I liked sending Minsc off after Jaheira. I'd like to see that conversation. Plans?

Great job!

Mark

#4 Guest_Nyx_*

Posted 16 July 2001 - 04:43 PM

> And ups! (Optimism makes the world go round ;))

Yeah! Well, if people weren't optimistic sometimes, everyone would just sit down and cry. ;)

> You missed the italics on this one ;) The order's fairly obvious though.

OMG! With my abuse of italics, it had to happen sometime. ;)

> Hard to keep wearing a mask, isn't it?

Yes! :)

> Think the conversation works better this way, split up - and using

> thoughts as well as speech also improves.

Thank you. ;)

> Hmm...I think this is now one of my favourite sections in the series so

> far, in its revised state...it just works so well as a whole. Also one of

> the best Khalid discovery scenes I've ever read, even taking into account

> the extra dimension here. Good show, Nyx :)

Thank you again! :D Couldn't do it without you. :) Seriously. ;)

Argh, I'm still nervous though, you know. ;D

-Nyx

#5 Guest_Nyx_*

Posted 16 July 2001 - 04:54 PM

> Hey, I liked the turtle story. ;D

Damn right you did! It was cute! Yeah!

> Might have him say 'throat' here. You just used neck up above. Feels just

> slightly repetetive. Maybe even another word for that might be in order

> since you switch back and forth a lot here between neck and throat.

> Another word for it eludes me right now, though. Spine? Base of the head?

> Fred?

Okay. I'll go with Fred. ;D

Seriously, I know what you mean; I tried to think of another word and could not find one. ;)

> This is just a little bit awkward. Had to read it a few times to get the

> cadence right.

I had problems with the entire section leading from Yoshi to Khalid, actually. That sentence was the most difficult to beat into submission, and it still didn't quite work. :D

> This last line had me wondering if he said it out loud. Was this the one

> zan said should have been italicized? That would have cleared it up, I

> think.

Yes, that's the one. Ugh! I can't believe I forgot the italic. Arrrgh, how frustrating.

> And that's about it for critique. I really liked the intermixing of

> scenes, and I thought you did it great. I don't think, outside of that one

> line I mentioned, I ever lost track of what scene you were in, even though

> you had a few going.

No kidding. ;)

> Bringing Viconia back into it to slap him in the face

> over his heartless nature, fantastic. I can just see him trying to explain

> away that being heartless does not break his feelings of perfection he has

> for himself.

Opposite way. She slapped him for not being heartless. (Which he isn't, by the way, just nearly.)

> And I liked sending Minsc off after Jaheira. I'd like to see that

> conversation. Plans?

How would they hear it? :)

Although that gives me an idea. STOP GIVING ME IDEAS. I have too much to do already. O_o

> Great job!

Phew! It's a terribly high pressure scene.

Since I took the scalpel to the upstairs dungeon much as I did with the downstairs (although structurally I suspect it's the opposite way) I should be out of here in either part 12 or 13. No joke. WOW. I'm amazed. :)

Now, that's a should be of course. :/

-Nyx

#6 Luned

Posted 16 July 2001 - 06:32 PM

> downs. ;)

Yup.

> Here's another one of my patented weird formatting stories. It's fairly

> bizarre, but what can we do? There's not much to say this time, other than

> that there's an unusually low ratio of Minsc insults to inner monologue

> today. Or maybe I'm just tired.

Nah, I think the fewer Minsc insults are perfectly symptomatic of Darvith's state of mind. He's too busy being selfishly concerned about Yoshi and the discovery of Khalid's body.

Do I like Darvith? No, and there's no reason I should. Do I understand Darvith? Yes. And therein lies the magic of your tale. You're doing an excellent job with a very difficult assignment. Kudos!

---Luned

Cheesecake is a state of mind.

<i>---John Myers Myers, <u>Silverlock</u></i>

#7 Weyoun

Posted 16 July 2001 - 07:44 PM

> downs. :D

Yeah... Trafic is still pretty slow... My excuse for my absense however, was that I twisted my ankle Saterday-morning, so I was outta commission for a whole day... At least I can walk again (well, *hobble* again) today!

> I owe almost everyone I know an email, and consider this a formal apology

> to anyone who falls under that heading.

> Here's another one of my patented weird formatting stories. It's fairly

> bizarre, but what can we do? There's not much to say this time, other than

> that there's an unusually low ratio of Minsc insults to inner monologue

> today. Or maybe I'm just tired.

Yey! Minsc will be spared today... Perhaps you should make it a habit? :)

> Damn I'm nervous. ;X

Ah, you did great, you insecurity is unnecessary!

Well, I should talk! Me who breaks into cold sweat whenever I post a story!;)

> Yoshimo? “Assistance?” I hiss in his ear, “You

> certainly do not behave as one worthy of our assistance. Indeed, I would

> say your behavior is more in line with an agent of our foes. Friends do

> not skulk about in shadows, mm?” Strands of his hair are tangled around my

> fingers, cutting off the circulation. Blood dribbles down my wrists. My

> palms ache and throb.

Well, he could have just told Yoshi to get the hell out of his face!:)

> I press my blade closer to Yoshimo's throat. He does not flinch.

Wow... Impressive! Yoshi must have nerves of steel!

> The man grimaces. “I am no idiot. I am Yoshimo!” He pauses, looking at me

> from the side of his eyes, then frowns. “You know. Yoshimo? ”

> Imoen rubs her arms as if chilled. “I've never heard of you.”

> His shoulders slump slightly, and he sighs. “You must be new to Athkatla.”

Typical Yoshi... Expects everyone to have heard of him. Even when he's at the wrong side of a sharp dagger!

> Imoen's hand rests lightly on my shoulder. “Come on Darv. What's he gonna

> do with all four of us here?”

> Ah Imoen, you would be quite shocked at the capabilities of one man. And

> regardless of one's prowess, there is always another of greater threat. Of

> course it is unlikely that this Yoshimo is a living legend in disguise,

> and thus unlikely that he is particularly dangerous to the lot of us

> neck.

Well, he's right about that. One, seemingly innocent person can be more dangerous that anyone expects! Just think of Garak...

> I look him over again. “You remind me of someone I once knew,” I tell him.

> “A woman, Tamoko. Kara-Turan, are you? She was the same.” He is fairly

> petite, though in impeccable shape, and his darkly stained leather armor

> has been fit specifically for his body, I am certain. His garments are

> hardly the tattered uniform of Irenicus' prisoners. Strange that he would

> still carry his personal equipment, when ours was so thoroughly stripped

> away.

I wonder, has it actually been that Tamoko was Yoshi's sister, or is that just an assumption? I've seen more people use that assumption in stories, you see?

> In my mind, I hear his voice.

> “I l-looked in your room, when you were gone. I f-found these.” Paper at

> my feet. Maps. Notes. He looks at me as though he expects repentance, or

> apologies. He will get neither. Now I know whose corpse this is.

Khalid? I wondered how you would pull this one off. It was Darv that killed the bloke, after all... How'd he got in the dungeon then?

> “N…no, let me go, Imoen. This cannot be. Khalid!”

> I smirk just a bit.

Pillock...

> “I will have the heart of the monster who has done this. I will tear

> their… I will. No. No….” She sobs and screams and I watch.

This was the most moving version of the "Khalid-finding" I've ever read... Well done!

> “You saw… you saw this… done to him?”

> His blood stains my fingers, my blade, my shirt. I touch bloodstains on

> the remnants of the shirt. His blood, or mine?

> “He was already dead. He was already dead when—“

Good point... How is JAheira going to react when she finds out the truth?

> Viconia sneers as she stands. White sheets fall away from bare skin as

> she grabs for her robe.

> “Such a shame,” she purrs, in that voice like razors in honey. “I was

> beginning to think you admirable.” Imoen pulls me away from Jaheira.

> “Give her some privacy, okay? I think she maybe needs a second to think.”

Funny though, how your Viconia is so very different from mine. Funny though, how very different all the authors who use her interpret and reflect her (and the charater's of any Npc's for that matter) in our stories. Daedel's version is different from both our Viconia's, as is Meg's, as is Lara's, as is Hans'... Have you ever noticed when writing her in a different storyline of your own, as well? I've noticed this ever since I've been writing the Vierna and the Laska storylines. Its like there's a different "little voice" speaking to you in your mind, when you write the stories... Do you have that same "feeling" when you write Viconia both for Thalinus and Darvith? Just wondering...

> Minsc watches her leave, strangely silent. When he looks back, his face is

> not the befuddled daze it has always been. His mouth is set in a slight

> frown, and he shakes his head. “Minsc knows loss as well,” he says, “I

> will go and watch over her.” He wanders through the door. For a moment,

> the entire doorframe seems eclipsed by his bulk, and then he is in the

> hallway and moving farther away with each passing moment. His gait is not

> unlike some lumbering beast, and like such a beast, his steps shake the

> ground underfoot.

That's Minsc... Looking out for his friends...

> I match my pace to his, staying far enough back to be outside his reach,

> and yet close enough to react if he should do anything… unwarranted. “I am

> curious, Yoshimo,” I say, “about this sister of yours.”

> He does not answer.

This is difinately the best installment of CoM you've written so far! I'm very impressed! Still, I'm pretty down from reading it... But no rant this time. I've got Klingon Academy permanently installed, so I take it out on some Federation Starships!

---Weyoun (about to phaserblast some 'Miranda's'!)

TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#8 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 16 July 2001 - 10:31 PM

> Yeah... Trafic is still pretty slow...

Well, we knew something would happen when Darkrose and I got together. At least this time there hasn't been a crash. *crossing fingers*

> My excuse for my absense however,

> was that I twisted my ankle Saterday-morning, so I was outta commission

> for a whole day... At least I can walk again (well, *hobble* again) today!

Ouchie!

Darkrose and I have merely been busy-busy.

> Well, he could have just told Yoshi to get the hell out of his face!;)

Darvith? C'mon, man.

> Wow... Impressive! Yoshi must have nerves of steel!

I suspect this isn't the first time he's been on the wrong end of a dagger.

> I wonder, has it actually been that Tamoko was Yoshi's sister, or is that

> just an assumption? I've seen more people use that assumption in stories,

> you see?

Dave Gaider mentioned it as one of the things that had been cut from the game during development. It just makes for such a good story that I, at least, haven't been able to come up with another motivation for him, not even when I try. (And I was very determined to have at least one Tamoko-free Yoshi. Oh, well; he had other plans.)

City of Sorrows

#9 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 16 July 2001 - 10:54 PM

> I owe almost everyone I know an email, and consider this a formal apology

> to anyone who falls under that heading.

You, too, eh? ;)

> Lara, be happy, we've got Yoshi. :)

Hmmph. I feel left out.

> Damn I'm nervous. ;X

*hugs*

Don't be afraid to experiment. You do such a good job.

> The man grimaces. “I am no idiot. I am Yoshimo!” He pauses, looking at me

> from the side of his eyes, then frowns. “You know. Yoshimo? ”

> Imoen rubs her arms as if chilled. “I've never heard of you.”

> His shoulders slump slightly, and he sighs. “You must be new to Athkatla.”

Heheh. I've always liked that exchange. I've never quite been sure what to make of it, as he doesn't actually seem to have that much of a rep in Athkatla.

Of course, a bounty hunter thrives on having a reputation, so it could simply be wishful thinking on his part.

> Ah Imoen, you would be quite shocked at the capabilities of one man. And

> regardless of one's prowess, there is always another of greater threat. Of

> course it is unlikely that this Yoshimo is a living legend in disguise,

> and thus unlikely that he is particularly dangerous to the lot of us

> neck.

> “My thanks. I find my neck quite useful in continued speech, as well as

> continued life.”

Maybe a rephrasing here:

even so I pull the dagger away only reluctantly. I watch every breath and every movement as Yoshimo relaxes and reaches for his collar.

Freed from immediate threat, he takes a deep breath and glances up at me. “My thanks. I find my throat quite useful in continued speech, as well as continued life.”

The idea of the neck being used in speaking is...odd. The neck usually applies to the back, sometimes including the sides, but I've never seen the word used to mean the front.

> “My apologies,” he says, and his smile sends wrinkles spreading from the

> corner of his eyes and mouth. “But I am not terribly interesting to

> watch.”

> “For the next handful of minutes at least,” I say, “You are the most

> interesting thing in the bloody world, to me.”

*chuckle*

> Yoshimo nods. “It is true. But perhaps a moment is not too long, ne?” He

> looks at me so oddly, and I raise an eyebrow. “I have lost a sister

> recently,” he says, “When I heard she was gone, I was filled with rage.

> But with time alone, I soon found that I knew what I must do.”

*grin*

> He does not answer.

*bigger grin*

I like your Yoshimo, BTW. And am looking forward to watching him deal with Darvith.

City of Sorrows

#10 Guest_Devon_*

Posted 17 July 2001 - 03:04 AM

> downs. :)

But you've done an admirable job in filling in the gap ;)

I have to agree with Mark and Zan that this story is fantastic. I also think that the way you've integrated the old story with Khalid's death, with the present, is done really, really well. The snippets of conversation really make it more tragic, and it is really revealing about Darvith himself.

> …Perhaps if I were to cut out his tongue…

Heheh, good old Darvie!

> Well, there will be time for that later.

> Jaheira grips her scimitar. “You skulk in the shadows like an assassin,

> and with all we have seen and suffered, we have little reason to trust in

> strangers.”

And she has even less of a reason to trust Darv! I wonder when it will finally dawn on her the way it did with Khalid?

> “Very well,” I say, “You are correct.” Jaheira nods in response as I speak

> into Yoshimo's ear closely enough that I am intrigued by his ease of

> stance. “Tell me. How did you come to be here, mm? Does this sorcerer

> collect any idiot who wanders into his path?”

I really like this paragraph because it's so typical of the way Darvith reasons things out, I can just envision the expression that would be on his face. It's that famous intelligence and sarcasm. :D

> “We have never been to Athkatla,” I say. “Are you saying that is where we

> are now?” A thought both intriguing and off-putting; I do not appreciate

> being on unfamiliar grounds so soon after such an experience as this. Even

> so, it is good to connect our physical position to an actual city rather

> than an unknown “somewhere.”

Another good look at the way Darvith thinks and reasons.

> In my mind, I hear his voice.

> “I l-looked in your room, when you were gone. I f-found these.” Paper at

> my feet. Maps. Notes. He looks at me as though he expects repentance, or

> apologies. He will get neither. Now I know whose corpse this is.

As I said above, I really love the way you've done this!

> Jaheira's wail tears from her throat, the sound of intermingled anguish

> and rage. I stare down at the face on the table, if one could still call

> it a face.

Oooh, *shiver*

Very well written.

> “I accept my d-duty. My duty to myself, and to G-Gorion. He tried to make

> you a g-good person, no m-matter what you were, and where your b-blood

> came from. He f-failed, and so did I.” Greenish-red skin covers his head

> and neck. Blisters mar his exposed flesh. He is bloated and disfigured.

> His chest is open and his skin peeled back to expose decaying muscles, and

> emptiness where organs should be.

> Jaheira screams again.

The way you integrate Darvith's memory and Jaheira's present distress is fantastic, it really brings an immediacy to the situation.

> “Stop! No more words. Words are nothing. What do you know of words? What

> do you know of loss?”

> “Idiot,” The words come before I can stop them. “Do not ask such inane

> questions. I watched my father gutted before my eyes. Never ask me what I

> know of loss.” I hear my own voice, cutting and uncontrolled.

Ah, I like how Darvith's perfect control crumbles a bit here. It gives him so much life! It shows the fury of emotions that can boil underneath the surface. Very, very good.

> “You saw him die but you did nothing ,” Jaheira shrieks, her hands in

> fists at her side. “How dare you compare?”

> “I could do nothing. The fool died protecting me – he threw himself on a

> blade for my sake.” Breathe deeply. Calm yourself. I look away from

> her, to Khalid, lying still.

> It has been some time since I last looked on a man's corpse at any length.

> The clichés are a lie. He does not look at all asleep.

> “Do not look at him,” She screams, “You do not deserve to see. Bastard!

> Heartless bastard! You insult your father for protecting you? My Khalid

> is dead. If it had been me, if I had the chance … I would have thrown

> myself in front of the blade to save him.”

> What? I stare at her.

> “Do you have 'feelings,' abbil?” Viconia asks me, “I wonder sometimes,

> when you speak of your father. Such ice in your voice. I have not heard

> such heartlessness since I left Underdark.” We are reclined inside our

> shared room in Feldepost's Inn, and her slim fingers trace patterns on my

> chest. Jaheira is still sobbing. “I did not have a chance to see… I did

> not have a chance to… to… shut up. Just shut up. Leave me. Everyone leave

> me. I do not want your voices. The only voice I wish to hear is… is dead.”

> Viconia's eyes are blue diamonds against the oblivion of her skin. I

> stare into her unflinching gaze. "I watched him die again and

> again." Those images are burned in my mind. They repeat in my dreams.

> "I grew used to the sight." At first, when he fell, there was

> only emptiness. Jaheira slides to the floor at the side of the table, and

> I watch as she speaks her prayers to Silvanus below her breath. I hear her

> voice, thick and stumbling and empty. She clutches herself and stops, and

> then starts again.

> Heartless bastard , she called me. Heartless for not throwing myself on

> Sarevok's blade when Gorion sent me away. Heartless for not dying in his

> stead. He would never have allowed me to. I would never have wanted to.

> Heartlessness is relative. Everything is relative. I look away.

> “Yes.” I say. “I have a heart.” I am losing myself in her gaze. How

> detestably weak-minded. I look away. Yoshimo shifts uncomfortably.

> “Khalid of my heart,” Jaheira whispers, “Let my love… let my love guide

> the way…”

> Viconia sneers as she stands. White sheets fall away from bare skin as

> she grabs for her robe.

> “Such a shame,” she purrs, in that voice like razors in honey. “I was

> beginning to think you admirable.” Imoen pulls me away from Jaheira.

> “Give her some privacy, okay? I think she maybe needs a second to think.”

This whole section is my favourite part. I love the way you've shown how Viconia has impacted upon Darvith, as well as Gorion. Will you be exploring these things more as you go along? Darvith's relationships with both Viconia and Gorion seem really complex and deep.

> He does not answer.

And a chilling ending to the tale. Well done Nyx, pat yourself on the back! You have no reason to be embarrassed by this because it was truly excellent!

#11 Guest_Anonymous_*

Posted 17 July 2001 - 03:34 AM

To sort of paraphrase paraphrase what Luned said earlier, Darvith is not a character I would normally be drawn to either. I have little love for the dark side and even less of an understanding as to why so many find it attractive. Nevertheless, despite my general intolerance for all things evil, I've found myself pulled more and more into his story. Very well done in spite of the hair rising on my neck during the Khalid scene.

#12 Guest_Nyx_*

Posted 17 July 2001 - 05:13 AM

> Nah, I think the fewer Minsc insults are perfectly symptomatic of

> Darvith's state of mind. He's too busy being selfishly concerned about

> Yoshi and the discovery of Khalid's body.

Indeed; that and the fact that Minsc hasn't said much recently. :)

> Do I like Darvith? No, and there's no reason I should. Do I understand

> Darvith? Yes. And therein lies the magic of your tale. You're doing an

> excellent job with a very difficult assignment. Kudos!

Am I insane for rather liking him as a person? (Yes, you are.) Oh well, I always knew I was a bit batty. :(

Thank you. ;) The danger lies in precisely how far such understanding goes.

-Nyx

#13 Guest_Nyx_*

Posted 17 July 2001 - 06:05 AM

> Wow... Impressive! Yoshi must have nerves of steel!

Accustomed to working with shady sorts. ;)

> I wonder, has it actually been that Tamoko was Yoshi's sister, or is that

> just an assumption? I've seen more people use that assumption in stories,

> you see?

Oyster Girl, of course, explained that one. :D But I have the same problem as her; I can't seem to make him move without it.

> Khalid? I wondered how you would pull this one off. It was Darv that

> killed the bloke, after all... How'd he got in the dungeon then?

:/ The annoying thing is, I had an explanation for that in the very first draft, but it was instead of the Khalid flashback, and would have made the scene entirely too confusing.

But suffice to say, it was dragged along for a class of Anatomy 101 with Professor Jon Irenicus.

> This was the most moving version of the "Khalid-finding" I've

> ever read... Well done!

Phew! High tension point, and one of the reasons I was so iffy on the entire chapter. After so much buildup...

> Good point... How is JAheira going to react when she finds out the truth?

Patience grasshopper! :P (At this rate, a LOT of patience. O_o)

> Funny though, how your Viconia is so very different from mine. Funny

> though, how very different all the authors who use her interpret and

> reflect her (and the charater's of any Npc's for that matter) in our

> stories. Daedel's version is different from both our Viconia's, as is

> Meg's, as is Lara's, as is Hans'...

It's all about person visions and biases. We bring different things to the table when we see a character, so we come away with different things.

> Have you ever noticed when writing her

> in a different storyline of your own, as well? I've noticed this ever

> since I've been writing the Vierna and the Laska storylines. Its like

> there's a different "little voice" speaking to you in your mind,

> when you write the stories... Do you have that same "feeling"

> when you write Viconia both for Thalinus and Darvith? Just wondering...

Not really, to be honest. Like with all the characters, I try to keep her as close to the game portrayal as I'm capable of under the story's specific conditions. Darvith's Viconia is only different from Thalinus' in circumstance and relationship to the main character. Otherwise, my vision of any given character is very consistant across the various universes.

> That's Minsc... Looking out for his friends...

Or anyone else. :)

> This is difinately the best installment of CoM you've written so far!

Oh? You're just saying that because he wasn't a total bastard this time. ;)

It's not my favorite (that still goes to 3 and 1, in that order :( but I did like it a lot better than the mindless dungeon romp the last ones have been. UGH, I'm almost out, I can feel it in my bones! :D

Anyway, thank you. :)

> I'm very impressed! Still, I'm pretty down from reading it... But no rant

> this time. I've got Klingon Academy permanently installed, so I take it out

> on some Federation Starships!

Boom boom boom! Good luck. :)

-Nyx

#14 Guest_Nyx_*

Posted 17 July 2001 - 06:11 AM

> You, too, eh? ;)

Oh yes, I'm awful with email most of the time. I'd been good with it for a while, but eventually I apparently ignored all of them in an attempt to rebel! :P

> Hmmph. I feel left out.

Well, Lara's the one who was pressuring me for Yoshimo since... well, chapter 3 or 4! ;) O_o

> *hugs*

*hugs*!

> Don't be afraid to experiment. You do such a good job.

Eep, thanks. :D

> Of course, a bounty hunter thrives on having a reputation, so it could

> simply be wishful thinking on his part.

Very true. Maybe was quite well known elsewhere, and hoping it would translate. :) Still, he was well known enough to irritate the Shadow Thieves. :(

But yes, I love that little exchange. :)

> Maybe a rephrasing here:

> even so I pull the dagger away only reluctantly. I watch every breath and

> every movement as Yoshimo relaxes and reaches for his collar.

> “My thanks. I find my throat quite useful in continued speech, as well as

> continued life.” The idea of the neck being used in speaking is...odd.

> The neck usually applies to the back, sometimes including the sides, but

> I've never seen the word used to mean the front.

YES! Thank you! That's just what I needed! :)

Although it's funny, because I've very rarely heard anyone use the word throat; it's always neck, even the front. Ah well, no accounting for personal experiences; I know too many people who have only encountered things I've never encountered, and vice versa. Regional? Family quirks? Who knows.

> I like your Yoshimo, BTW. And am looking forward to watching him deal with

> Darvith.

Ah, I'm getting all attached to him too. :)

...I don't really want to kill him. ::cries::

Thank you! Finally snagged a comment from you. }:D

-Nyx

#15 Guest_Anonymous_*

Posted 17 July 2001 - 06:17 AM

> But suffice to say, it was dragged along for a class of Anatomy 101 with

> Professor Jon Irenicus.

That was what I imagined. A lesson in darkness, for Imoen (as per the Irenicus dialogue when he reveals that she's a Bhaalspawn too).

I'm surprised he didn't tell her who did it. That would be a lesson in darkness...

Meg.

Darkstar

#16 Guest_Nyx_*

Posted 17 July 2001 - 06:21 AM

> But you've done an admirable job in filling in the gap ;)

Yay! :D

> I have to agree with Mark and Zan that this story is fantastic. I also

> think that the way you've integrated the old story with Khalid's death,

> with the present, is done really, really well. The snippets of

> conversation really make it more tragic, and it is really revealing about

> Darvith himself.

Well, it is becoming more evident by the moment that Nyx Is Obsessed With Flashbacks. O_o Probably a bad thing. But for the moment, I can't help it.:P

Ah, revealing things about him is what I live for. Okay, maybe not, that would be a little sad. But I rather like doing it!

> And she has even less of a reason to trust Darv! I wonder when it will

> finally dawn on her the way it did with Khalid?

Well, there's a few ways that could go:

1) Once the stress clears, she realizes he's a jackass or

2) Once the stress clears, he stops being a jackass and she never notices.

3) Once the stress clears, he stops being a jackass but she figures it out anyway.

4) Once the stress clears, everyone drinks so much liquor they get amnesia, thus solving my problem. :D

Maybe... 4! Hee hee. :)

Seriously, Khalid's Intelligence is 5 points higher than Jaheira's (usually. There's this bizarre thing where if you pick him up at level 1 he's got a 12 intelligence, but anytime afterward it's a 15. What's with that?) so he was a bit quicker on the uptake. Even so, she's no fool. She's giving him the benefit of the doubt for the stress situation, but if he doesn't clean up his act soon it could get ugly.

> Ah, I like how Darvith's perfect control crumbles a bit here. It gives him

> so much life! It shows the fury of emotions that can boil underneath the

> surface. Very, very good.

Oooh, thank you. ;D

> This whole section is my favourite part. I love the way you've shown how

> Viconia has impacted upon Darvith, as well as Gorion. Will you be

> exploring these things more as you go along? Darvith's relationships with

> both Viconia and Gorion seem really complex and deep.

You couldn't keep me off those subjects if you locked them behind an electrified barbed wire fence. ;) I'm so glad you liked that section; I have to admit I was just aching to write it. :(

> And a chilling ending to the tale. Well done Nyx, pat yourself on the

> back! You have no reason to be embarrassed by this because it was truly

> excellent!

Phew! Thank you. :) Now, if only I could figure out how to follow it up. O_o

-Nyx, still 0 parts ahead! Woo!

#17 Guest_Nyx_*

Posted 17 July 2001 - 06:23 AM

> I'm surprised he didn't tell her who did it. That would be a lesson in

> darkness...

Who says he didn't? ;)

She's a little repressed, still. She doesn't remember absolutely everything, poor girl.

(Not saying he did, either. }:)

-Nyx

#18 Guest_Nyx_*

Posted 17 July 2001 - 06:31 AM

> To sort of paraphrase paraphrase what Luned said earlier, Darvith is not a

> character I would normally be drawn to either. I have little love for the

> dark side and even less of an understanding as to why so many find it

> attractive.

I'm always curious as to what makes some people dislike the dark side. 'tis something that I will probably never understand.

But the truth is, I just like complexities, and in general I find good very simple. Not simple as in stupid, but simple as in not much to delve into and unlock bit by bit. A person is good because they're a good person, not much more to it than that. ;) That's why I love Anomen; the struggle with his inner demons as he strives toward the light. Maybe it goes without saying that I'm interested in psychology as well. :(

One day I'll write a good-aligned person if only to prove to myself I can write a good person at all! Thalinus is good, but on the other hand he's inefficient and no hero, that's for sure. :)

Okay, enough ranting from me. :D

> Nevertheless, despite my general intolerance for all things

> evil, I've found myself pulled more and more into his story. Very well

> done in spite of the hair rising on my neck during the Khalid scene.

Thank you very very much (you too, Luned. :P The sentiment "I don't normally care for this sort of thing, but..." has to be the nicest thing anyone could ever say to a writer. ;)

-Nyx

#19 Guest_Oyster Girl_*

Posted 17 July 2001 - 06:33 AM

> Oh yes, I'm awful with email most of the time. I'd been good with it for a

> while, but eventually I apparently ignored all of them in an attempt to

> rebel! :D

*chuckle*

> Well, Lara's the one who was pressuring me for Yoshimo since... well,

> chapter 3 or 4! :P O_o

Ah. Then perhaps I should begin to complain more often. ;)

> Eep, thanks. ;)

Eep? *shakes head* I don't want to scare you away, now.

> YES! Thank you! That's just what I needed! :D

*grin*

> Although it's funny, because I've very rarely heard anyone use the word

> throat; it's always neck, even the front. Ah well, no accounting for

> personal experiences; I know too many people who have only encountered

> things I've never encountered, and vice versa. Regional? Family quirks?

> Who knows.

I was thinking more of in writing. *shrug* I've heard all sorts of regionalisms.

> Ah, I'm getting all attached to him too. :)

> ...I don't really want to kill him. ::cries::

I would say "Then don't" but I can't see Darvith letting him live.

> Thank you! Finally snagged a comment from you. }:)

You finally needed my critical faculties. :(

City of Sorrows

#20 Guest_Anonymous_*

Posted 17 July 2001 - 06:35 AM

> She's a little repressed, still. She doesn't remember absolutely

> everything, poor girl.

> (Not saying he did, either. };)

Of course not... that would be too easy!

Meg.

Darkstar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com