Heart of the Flame, Part 4 (OT & NEW)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_darkrose_*

Posted 11 April 2001 - 03:35 AM

“Are...are we really going to camp here? It's so dark...all that stone pressing down on us...being underground is just not for the avariel...”

Keldorn could almost hear the leader of their party counting to ten before answering. “I know, Aerie,” Sionel told the other elven woman, “But we don't have a lot of choice. We're all hurt, and we need rest—and I don't want to take even this half of the rod out of here until we've destroyed that...thing.”

“I don't see how we're helping the less fortunate, trudging around in here,” grumbled Nalia de'Arnise.

Sionel turned to glare at her, eyes shining redly in the darkness. “Perhaps it escaped your notice that most of the poor folk who were tricked into following this abomination were what you would call the 'less fortunate.' Think of this as more...direct action than simply distributing coins and old clothing among the peasantry.”

Nalia started to retort, but Valygar put a hand on her shoulder and drew her away. Keldorn began to go about the business of setting up camp in the small alcove, glancing every now and then at the strange woman whose fate now intersected with his own.

He looked at her again and shivered. Had he not been told what to look for, he might have attacked her and her party on sight, believing her to be one of the hated, treacherous drow. As it was, there was something about her, a vague tingling of his skin when he drew too near, that made him extremely uncomfortable. Yet, when I look at her with the Sight that my Lord Torm has granted me, she does not appear to be evil, and if her dark heritage has tainted her, she shows no signs of it. It is a puzzle.

With a clanking of plate mail, Anomen Delryn walked past Keldorn without acknowledging the older man. Keldorn stifled an exasperated laugh. One day, he may be a true asset to the Order, if he can manage not to get his fool self killed beyond anyone's ability to raise. Keldorn had just groaned and shaken his head when he had read the line in the Prelate's note containing his orders that said, “Be advised that Squire Anomen Delryn has joined the company of the Bhaalspawn. Regardless of her parentage, she is a young, attractive female, and it would not do for the lad to be distracted by her presence.” No fear of that, Wessalen. They hiss and growl at each other like a panther and a wolf.

Then again, it is often the two that seem to despise each other that end up madly in love. Perhaps I should keep a closer eye on them.

At the moment, however, that possibility seemed remote. Hearing Anomen stalk by, Sionel snapped, “Where in the Hells do you think you going?”

The squire stopped and glared back at her. “I must pray, and I cannot think amidst all this chattering.”

Keldorn couldn't help it. He snickered. I have yet to see any evidence that you think much at all, boy. Had he not known that it was impossible, he would have sworn the somber ranger Valygar was grinning.

Sionel was not amused. She strode up to Anomen, her silent footsteps a quiet rebuke to his noisy passage, and held out her hand.

“What?” Anomen demanded.

“The Rod of Resurrection. Give it to me, please, so that we won't have to search your corpse for it after you go off and get killed. Again.”

Even without infravision, Keldorn could almost see Anomen's face redden as the young squire fought to control his fury. Sionel stood calmly, the slight trembling of her fingers almost unnoticeable. Anomen pulled the silvery rod from his pack and slammed it into the elven woman's small hand.

“Take it,” he snarled, “And much good may it do you—Bhaalspawn.” He turned on his heel and strode off into the darkness, lantern held high.

There was a long silence, as thick and oppressive as the dank air of the cavern, finally broken by Sionel. “Sir Keldorn. Take this, if you would. I fear I may go after him and break it over that collection of rocks he calls a head.”

Keldorn blinked, but took the rod. “Certainly, m'lady.”

“Just Sionel, please. Tell me...you seem to have known him for some time...is he always this...this...”

“Obnoxious? Pigheaded? Arrogant?” suggested Nalia.

Keldorn smiled. “Young Anomen has always been somewhat...difficult, I admit. And while Torm has granted me many gifts, excessive patience is, I fear, not one of them.”

Sionel grinned for an instant; then her face fell abruptly and she turned away and busied herself with setting up her bedroll. Keldorn looked at Nalia, Aerie, and Valygar.

“Did you know?” he asked them. Aerie finally nodded, as did the other two.

“But she's not...she doesn't seem to be evil, really,” ventured Aerie. “I wouldn't have known, if I hadn't heard her talking with Yoshimo.” She frowned a little. “I wonder if that's why she made him leave—because he kept asking her questions about...about Bhaal.”

“Did he.” Keldorn was silent for a moment, thinking, then he bowed slightly to the others. “Excuse me...” He went over to the corner where Sionel was perched on top of her pack, staring at the earthen floor. She glanced up as he approached.

“Is my life forfeit, then, Sir Keldorn?” she said, almost succeeding in her attempt to sound disinterested.

Keldorn sat on the ground beside her. “What makes you think that it would be?”

“You heard what he called me. It's true. I'm a Child of Bhaal. Surely, in the eyes of your Order, that would damn me, would it not?”

That is what I am here to determine, thought Keldorn. Aloud, he said, “The mandate of the Order is to fight evil wherever it may be found. I have seen no signs of such in you, m'lady.”

Sionel gave him a tiny smile. “Not yet, anyway. Most people would say that blood will tell, in the end.”

“We cannot help what we are, but we can help what we become.”

She blinked at him. “Yes...Gorion said almost the same thing to me once...I didn't know, then, about...about Bhaal, but enough people had called me a drow that I thought my mysterious father had been one. I thought that meant I would have to move to the Underdark and become a priestess of the Spider Queen, and I went to Gorion in tears...I was only nine...”

However many years she has seen, she is still little more than a child as her people reckon things. So young to bear such a burden. “I am old,” he told her, “But in what time I have left to me, I shall do all in my power to maintain the sanctity of your soul. Alone, I am no match for the essence of a dark god, but that is where faith comes in, is it not?”

“Faith...I have never been able to bring myself to worship any human god—they all seem rather distant and alien to me...and as for the Seldarine...” Sionel swallowed hard. “There is only one thing I want from Corellon Larethian: to know why he permitted one of his children—my mother—to be ravished by Bhaal. Why was I ever born at all?”

The naked pain in her voice made Keldorn want to take her in his arms as he would one of his own daughters. He contented himself with touching her hand lightly with his own. “Then I shall endeavor to have faith enough for both of us, m'lady.” I fear we will need it.

Tales from the Copper Coronet

#2 Guest_Flarn_*

Posted 11 April 2001 - 03:54 AM

This is different from the Heart of the Flame posted on your site - isn't it? I am sure I didn't see this bit before. I must have missed your other postings. It's hard to stay on top of all the stories here - not that I'm complaining...

I have to say I definitely like this tension between Sionel and Anomen - I always find that a little tension breeds a little *tension*... if you know what I mean? ;) I always love your work - if I had known you were elaborating on this great piece I would have payed more attention.

Now I'm going to have to force myself to wait until tomorrow to search back through for the start of this. Bedtime, alas... Why do you torture us by posting so late? ;)

Flarn

A Baldur's Gate Romance

#3 Laufey

Posted 11 April 2001 - 04:26 AM

> “Are...are we really going to camp here? It's so dark...all that stone

> pressing down on us...being underground is just not for the avariel...”

Aerie being her regular whiny self, I see.

> “I don't see how we're helping the less fortunate, trudging around in

> here,” grumbled Nalia de'Arnise.

*grin* And Nalia.

> “What?” Anomen demanded.

> “The Rod of Resurrection. Give it to me, please, so that we won't have to

> search your corpse for it after you go off and get killed. Again.”

ROFL! Love this line, I really do. I can almost see his face.

> “Faith...I have never been able to bring myself to worship any human

> god—they all seem rather distant and alien to me...and as for the

> Seldarine...” Sionel swallowed hard. “There is only one thing I want from

> Corellon Larethian: to know why he permitted one of his children—my

> mother—to be ravished by Bhaal. Why was I ever born at all?”

> The naked pain in her voice made Keldorn want to take her in his arms as

> he would one of his own daughters. He contented himself with touching her

> hand lightly with his own. “Then I shall endeavor to have faith enough for

> both of us, m'lady.” I fear we will need it.

Keldorn as father figure. I always like that, and he does it so well.

Lady Nightshade's custom portraits
Rogues do it from behind.

#4 Guest_darkrose_*

Posted 11 April 2001 - 04:53 AM

> This is different from the Heart of the Flame posted on your site - isn't

> it? I am sure I didn't see this bit before. I must have missed your other

> postings. It's hard to stay on top of all the stories here - not that I'm

> complaining...

I started out revising it when I realized how much stuff had gotten lost in the huge time lapses between sections. This and part 3 are to fill in some of the gaps.

> I have to say I definitely like this tension between Sionel and Anomen - I

> always find that a little tension breeds a little *tension*... if you know

> what I mean? :) I always love your work - if I had known you were

> elaborating on this great piece I would have payed more attention.

*blush*

> Now I'm going to have to force myself to wait until tomorrow to search

> back through for the start of this. Bedtime, alas... Why do you torture us

> by posting so late? :)

I work swing shift these days, so my hours are rather...vampiric.

#5 Guest_Arelius_*

Posted 11 April 2001 - 04:17 PM

Very nice, 'Rose. I was thinking you were going to do a comedy bit at first glance, and I certainly liked the responses you gave to the whining. The tone settled in nicely though and I liked the portrayal of Sionel's leadership and how she is dealing with it.

#6 Weyoun

Posted 11 April 2001 - 05:12 PM

> “I don't see how we're helping the less fortunate, trudging around in

> here,” grumbled Nalia de'Arnise.

Did you notice Nalia using that same line in her own keep! ;)

> They

> hiss and growl at each other like a panther and a wolf.

> Keldorn couldn't help it. He snickered. I have yet to see any evidence

> that you think much at all, boy.

LoL, Best line in the story!! :)

> “The Rod of Resurrection. Give it to me, please, so that we won't have to

> search your corpse for it after you go off and get killed. Again.”

Hah... twenty hill giants indeed!... *grin*

> Even without infravision, Keldorn could almost see Anomen's face redden as

> the young squire fought to control his fury. Sionel stood calmly, the

> slight trembling of her fingers almost unnoticeable. Anomen pulled the

> silvery rod from his pack and slammed it into the elven woman's small

> hand.

> “Obnoxious? Pigheaded? Arrogant?” suggested Nalia.

See...Nalia does have the ability to be good judge of character! :)

> She blinked at him. “Yes...Gorion said almost the same thing to me

> once...I didn't know, then, about...about Bhaal, but enough people had

> called me a drow that I thought my mysterious father had been one. I

> thought that meant I would have to move to the Underdark and become a

> priestess of the Spider Queen, and I went to Gorion in tears...I was only

> nine...”

Sionel's a Drow? I never would have guessed. This last part is a very touching scene, where Sionel opens up to Keldorn about her own insecurities. I enjoyed this story very much.

Greetings,

Weyoun.

TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#7 Guest_darkrose_*

Posted 11 April 2001 - 05:31 PM

> Very nice, 'Rose. I was thinking you were going to do a comedy bit at

> first glance, and I certainly liked the responses you gave to the whining.

*g* I figured you boys would appreciate that. Her comment about breaking the rod of resurrection over Anomen's head would actually have been something more profane, except I couldn't think of a way to phrase it that wasn't too 21st century American. But there's a reason a friend of mine calls Anomen "Sir Stick-up-the-Butt."

#8 Guest_darkrose_*

Posted 11 April 2001 - 06:07 PM

> Did you notice Nalia using that same line in her own keep! ;)

Oh, yeah. I was annoyed. I really wanted a reply option of, "Keep it up, and you're gonna be less fortunate when I smack you upside the head!"

See...Nalia does have the ability to be good judge of character! :)

> Sionel's a Drow? I never would have guessed.

Half drow, actually. Her mother was a gold elf, and when Bhaal raped her, he took the form of a drow. That's why Sionel has darker skin than most gold elves. and the silver hair. Since most humans are used to seeing moon elves, they immediately equate dark skin/light hair on an elf with drow.

> This last part is a very

> touching scene, where Sionel opens up to Keldorn about her own

> insecurities. I enjoyed this story very much.

Thank you!

#9 Guest_Dorotea_*

Posted 11 April 2001 - 07:07 PM

Another excellent installment of Sionel. Their relationship with our favorite squire are rather hairy, which is always fun to write about (and to read).

> “Faith...I have never been able to bring myself to worship any human

> god—they all seem rather distant and alien to me...and as for the

> Seldarine...” Sionel swallowed hard. “There is only one thing I want from

> Corellon Larethian: to know why he permitted one of his children—my

> mother—to be ravished by Bhaal. Why was I ever born at all?”

A familiar sentiment indeed. I was thinking along the same lines with my true neutral agnostic.

By the way, and it is just a thought, which has nothing to do with the quality of your story, which is lovely, don't you think that all of the Bhaal children would be half-breed's of their races technically? He was human who became god and so all his progeny would be half-human, whatever the other half is.

http://www.gamejag.com/WithoutName

#10 Guest_Devon_*

Posted 11 April 2001 - 09:18 PM

Hey Darkrose!

I'm glad that you've decided to write even more of the Heart series, and this piece was another gem. Loved the interaction between Sionel and Anomen, especially when she demands the rod and he gets embarassed! Poor boy, we do torment him so. :)

Are you planning on writing another section before you redo the rest of it? It might be nice to see how Anomen comes to terms with her being a Bhaalspawn, and perhaps how Keldorn tries to persuade him to keep away from her. (just a thought, anyway). I alos liked the comment in Keldorn's orders about the impressionable squire.

#11 Guest_Anonymous_*

Posted 11 April 2001 - 11:59 PM

> Hey Darkrose!

> I'm glad that you've decided to write even more of the Heart series, and

> this piece was another gem. Loved the interaction between Sionel and

> Anomen, especially when she demands the rod and he gets embarassed! Poor

> boy, we do torment him so. ;)

Yeah, that was the best! "...Again." Keep up with that kind of stuff!

And I dunno what you're talking about, Devon, tormenting Anomen like that... *pushes Jade back into the closet* ...And STAY there! Now, where were we? ;)

#12 Guest_Devon_*

Posted 12 April 2001 - 05:35 AM

> Yeah, that was the best! "...Again." Keep up with that kind of

> stuff!

> And I dunno what you're talking about, Devon, tormenting Anomen like

> that... *pushes Jade back into the closet* ...And STAY there! Now, where

> were we? :)

Naughty Lara, you are becoming a very bad influence on me! You're making me have fun prodding Anomen a little, it's so much fun making him annoyed. hehheh, just wait until you see how he acts in my upcoming Devon stories...

*grin*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com