Part 17

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Flarn_*

Posted 20 May 2003 - 03:35 AM

Nightmares were familiar bedfellows to her now, and she woke up not with a yell as she might have, but with a shudder and a start. As her eyes flew open, red shapes in her infravision astonished her - everyone was supposed to be asleep.

She looked at Khalid, armourless but sword drawn and he motioned towards the door where Yoshimo and Nalia were creeping stealthily closer.

Then she heard it, a soft rattling at the lock, as if someone were trying to get inside.

Yoshimo signalled back at them in a warning gesture and Alyndria grabbed the Flail of Ages and eased out of bed. Aerie, sling in hand, stood on the other side of the bed, biting her lip.

It happened in a rush - one minute the door was closed, and the next Yoshimo had flung it open, and there was the sound of a body tumbling into the room, a body which glowed only faintly to Alyndria's elvensight, as if it were already mostly dead.

But the dead did not attempt to rise, nor did they cringe back at finding a katana pressed against their throat.

"Who are you?" Alyndria moved forward a little to get a better look. "You'd best answer - what were you doing with our door?" She took another step closer and could make out the figure was a woman, very pale, suspiciously like...

But the woman shrunk back into her hood before Alyndria could be sure. "Hello friends," she said, in a low, deliberate voice. "I would impart a fine bit of business your way."

"Would you now?" Yoshimo purred, never taking his eyes off the strange figure, while Nalia remained poised with a handful of darts. "And what might this be?"

"Well truthfully it's not for me to say," the woman hesitated, but Alyndria could hear the smile in her voice, a confident note that suggested this stranger felt very much in control of the situation. "At least not in full measure. My mistress would have words with you, about concerns you have no doubt developed on your own.

She has watched you for a time, though she is not the only one. Those whom you are asked to trust spy as openly, or more so, and she offers a solution to your problem of privacy...among others."

"Privacy..." Alyndria repeated, dumbfounded.

"It seems to me you are the one invading our privacy on her behalf," a strident male voice growled, startling her until she remembered it was their new priest, Anomen. "What is she going to do, ask Alyndria to pay her off to keep you away?"

The hooded figure snickered ungraciously at the warrior priest, but continued to address Alyndria. "She is worthy of your trust. If you feel worthy of hers, come to the Graveyard District in the near future and she will speak her offer. Make your visit after the sky has darkened; she will not be there before then."

"Such an unseemly place," Khalid interjected, stumbling sibilantly. "Why should the meeting be so inaccessible?"

"Questions, questions," the figure shook an admonishing finger, "All will be discussed in proper course. Meet where discussed and you will have your answers. Think on it, but the door is closing soon. Do not delay too long. Farewell." All at once the peculiar messenger was not there, melted into the shadows from whence she had come.

Yoshimo muttered something that sounded distinctly unflattering and then slammed the door of the room, sliding home the bolt again.

Alyndria went back to the bed, carefully depositing her flail on the floor before sitting down on the mattress as she looked at her friends. Across the room she caught the Helmite gazing her way, a blush suffusing his cheeks above his beard before he hastily averted his eyes. Through the course of her travels, she had grown accustomed to being somewhat undressed in mixed company, but she was suddenly, painfully aware that she was clad in her shift, and slid into the blankets as surreptitiously as she could.

"What was that all about?" Nalia wondered.

"I think I know," Alyndria said, "or I think I can guess. We were... approached once before by someone who offered to help us find Imoen, in exchange for an exorbitant sum of money - hence the quests and odd jobs we have been taking. It seems to me that someone else would like a chance at those coins." She glanced over at Khalid and saw him nod. "But, that leaves me to wonder - "

Frantic rapping sounded at the door, making everyone jump.

Yoshimo prepared to open it again, while Khalid and Anomen flanked him, ready to pounce on whoever was interrupting them now.

The thief flung open the portal and for a moment the young boy standing there went unobserved because of the expectation of someone much taller.

"You!" Alyndria jumped out of bed again.

"I did nay think I'd be talkin' to you louts again, but I do what my uncle Gaelan says whenever I can."

"Louts?" Anomen towered in his outrage. "Has no one taught you to respect your elders? This is Alyndria of Candlekeep you're addressing..."

"Peace, Anomen," Khalid entreated the Watcher haltingly, ignoring the wilting glare he received with practiced ease - a fact Alyndria noted with amusement - after being married to Jaheira, a cranky knightling was nothing. "We've dealt with this boy before."

"Anyways, me uncle Gaelan wants you to come see him before you go making any rash decisions. Says he wants to sweeten the deal."

This was just too convenient - it sent shivers down her spine. "And just how does he know I have a decision to make? Am I being followed?" /Of course I am./ It would figure.

"Don't look at me," the lad said, "I just do what I'm told. He said to tell you the offer is sweeter, so here I am. Anyway, just go to see Gaelan before you go to see your new... (ahem) contact. I only get paid if I get you to see him, and it won't take long, you know," the last bit came out in somewhat of a rush as the boy seemed to realize that he was being stared at by six heavily armed, and, in some cases, more than slightly irritated adventurers. Swallowing so hard his throat worked visibly, Brus turned and fled, the sound of his running footsteps on the rough planking growing fainter in the distance before finally disappearing.

With a long suffering sigh, Yoshimo closed the door again, and Alyndria fervently hoped that they had seen the last interruption for the night, not that it really mattered, because...

"I don't know about the rest of you," she said, "but I am not getting back to sleep tonight. I vote we pay a visit to the Graveyard District, and then go wake up Gaelan Bayle."

"I'm sorry, my lady," Anomen began, "but being a latecomer to your group, I haven't the foggiest idea what's going on."

"Neither do I," said Nalia.

"Well, Gaelan is supposed to help us find Imoen, once we have enough money to pay for compensation - now it seems he's getting nervous because there's a new player."

"Then by all means, we should find out who it is," Nalia agreed, fastening her bracers. "I'm ready. Let's go to the Graveyard district and see what we can dig up... umm, well, maybe not precisely like that..." she finished sheepishly.

The wind was high, sweeping the trees and setting them dancing like mad figures, casting wild shadows over the darkened grass. Torchlight illuminated the white marble of what seemed a veritable city of the dead - why, it was almost as big as Candlekeep's inner courtyard.

Alyndria was struck by the terrible waste, all these buildings for those who would never again need shelter from the wind or the rain, exquisitely carved for loved ones who would never see them, their eyes blinded by tears of loss. No, Jaheira was better off in the forest she had so loved - her spirit would never have found rest here.

Shivering slightly, Alyndria pulled her cloak more tightly around her, and saw the others doing the same. She was a long way from the bliss of her childhood, when she had believed that all the ghosts, demons, ghouls and other things that went bump in the night were not reality, only the fabric of stories for her amusement. It had been okay to be frightened then, because she had been sure there was nothing to be afraid of. Now, of course, she knew differently. She had met many such objects of terror in the flesh.

They made their way into the gates beyond the path that led off the main carriageway. Anomen, Nalia, and Yoshimo stayed close, their human vision providing far less information on the terrain. It was easy for Alyndria to forget sometimes that not everyone could see as she, Khalid, and Aerie did. Her offer of a reassuring smile to Nalia went unnoticed in the dark, though she met Khalid's wary gaze and he shook his head at her, as if to say he hadn't noticed anything out of the ordinary. Yet.

Distantly she heard a clock strike the midnight hour, and felt her shivers deepen in expectation. And then at once she felt it, a new, disturbing presence that was just in front of them.

Moments later a figure stepped from the deeper shadows around a pillar, blocking their path. Like the messenger of before, this presence glowed only dimly, like a body cooling in death. If that were not enough, the sense of evil that made her heart pound in her chest would have proclaimed a very dangerous creature had summoned them there.

"You have arrived," purred the figure in a catlike, feminine voice. "I had worried I might have to discipline Valen for failing to deliver her message. I am Bodhi, and I greet you warmly."

Warmly? Alyndria wanted to call, when you are as cold as a corpse? But Khalid forestalled her.

"Warm you may be," an ironic sidelong glance passed her way, "but you are in a very cold place. Was this necessary?" He tripped over the word cold, as if he were shivering, but despite this his voice was bold and confident.

"You may be concerned about why we must meet here," the creature - Bodhi - said. "There are a number of reasons, only a few of which you need worry about."

"Be wary, my friend," said Anomen, taking the opportunity to state the obvious. "This creature is one of darkness... if you intend to deal with her, do so cautiously. I will prepare to call on Helm should signs of treachery arise."

"I have asked you here because we are unlikely to be overheard," said the woman, unperturbed by suspicion, "and so you can see the benefits of working with me. Follow, please, and stay exactly in my step. You would...regret doing other."

She led them through the paths, between the graves, until they came to a towering mausoleum. "This is the entrance to the hold that I offer you access to. Oh, I am sorry, I have moved ahead of myself. I should outline what I intend.

You are...employed of course, and do errands occasionally. No doubt you have questioned the intent of your employer on occasion? If you haven't, then you should.

You work for the Shadow Thieves, on the pretence they will help locate your missing companion, Imoen."

Most would not have heard the soft gasp that came from Khalid, but this creature did, as did Alyndria for he was standing beside her. She had heard of the Shadow Thieves for the first time from Khalid - they were responsible for killing his entire family, and for his flight from Calimshan, and if it had not been for Jaheira's timely intervention, he might have shared their gruesome fate.

"Yes, they are Shadow Thieves," Bodhi admitted, sinuously, and Alyndria felt her presence suddenly very close, as though she had sensed the reluctance in Khalid, if not the reason for it, "and yes, they are as nefarious as you have probably heard.

I would offer an alternative," the dark presence spoke low, in a voice of infinite promise, and Alyndria fingered the twin presences of Twilight and the Flail of Ages on her belt as she watched the other drape herself around Khalid, as if she knew that he alone could persuade Alyndria to a different course. As if she had been watching, as if she knew too much. The shudder that went through the older half-elf at having such an unmistakeable evil so near did nothing to reassure Alyndria, not when the same said being was addressing her from over Khalid's shoulder, her eyes filled with a distant promise that seemed to crawl with venom. Was that a gleam of teeth? If she dared... but no, she withdrew, standing again in front of the group. "I would help you find your friend for...oh... 15,000 gold? It is a sizeable amount less than the Shadow Thieves have asked and, coincidentally, it is what you have now."

"A strange deal... and yet it would save us much effort, no?" Anomen commented. "It has, however, the feel of a deal with a devil. It would be good, however, to turn the table on those vile thieves."

A practical solution, certainly since the cost was less than Gaelan had demanded. Would Khalid want that?

Aerie, meanwhile, despite her seeming youth, spoke with a voice that Alyndria could understand: the same one that was screaming inside of her. "I... I don't know if this is such a good idea, Alyndria. I'm... I feel frightened, all of a sudden. Maybe we should just leave..."

"Perhaps... perhaps this is not a bad idea." Yoshimo was as close to her as Bodhi had been to Khalid, the heat of her breath warming her ear with a hidden intimacy, a smile in his voice. "We would save much coin and achieve the same goal, it seems. Although... it would be certain to make enemies of the Shadow Thieves..."

Well, that was two people in favour of switching allegiances. Neither Nalia, nor Khalid had yet voiced an opinion.

A rustle of robes, and Bodhi made a curtailing gesture. "Enough. It is obvious you have questions. Ask them and appease your curiosity, if not your conscience."

Alyndria frowned. "It sounds like you've been spying on me. Why should I trust you?"

Bodhi tapped her foot impatiently, as if surprised that her proposal would require such in-depth negotiation. "If you question me, why do you trust your current employers? Are you certain they are more deserving? Regardless, I still offer more advantages than they.

You will be unable to turn down my offer," the dark being whispered, in a voice that sounded like a spell, or a dark prayer of hypnotic evil, "even if I demand a few... gestures to prove your loyalty. There is a monopoly in this town, and I intend to break it."

/What could she ask me to do?/

As if she had read Alyndria's thoughts, Bodhi answered: "I will ask you to weaken the 'resources' of the Shadow Thieves. I am not so vain as to think them easily destroyed, but many of their members will join with me.

I make no illusions about what will be required of you. I will wish you to kill, and I will wish you to terrorize. You must determine if you have the stomach for it."

Alyndria could feel the darkness inside her leaping, snapping like a dog at a bone. She had killed before, killed so many that at last most of the individual faces had started to blur. But that was different, it had all be in the service of good... She wanted to voice more questions, but she could only think them, staring evenly at the dark being, afraid that if she spoke, she would agree to everything being stated. She resisted the urge to rub her temples. /What will she do with the money I give her? Why do you ask still so much?/

"15,000 is a lot, but I will compensate you well for it. You will ultimately have Imoen, and a few magical trinkets too.

And rest assured, I will help you find Imoen, I will help you find Irenicus, but not just for your reasons. I have an interest in Irenicus myself.

Support me and you will revel in the destruction of the largest criminal organization south of Waterdeep," again Bodhi's gaze strayed towards Khalid, her voice filling with promise, "though the big bad thieves have been rather soft as of late."

"What if I don't trust either group? They may well be thieves, but you are..." It was late at night, and Alyndria fumbled for some of her usual eloquence. "...very, very... creepy."

"It does not matter if you do not trust either of us; you must, for the time being, deal with one or the other. Perhaps it is unseemly, but try to think long term.

If you work for me you oppose a soft-hearted criminal organization..."

/Soft-hearted? They kill families on contract - if that's soft-hearted I'd like to know what you are.../

"If you work for them you oppose... what? Someone 'very creepy,' as you put it?
Please, this is pointless. I am the better choice. I will give you free reign to do as you will. You will be a force to be feared."

Alyndria clenched her fists on her weapons again, and looked at her companions, all of whom knew her terrible secret and yet chose to stay with her. /I don't want to be feared, I have never wanted that./ She found herself looking at Khalid, his posture bowstring taut, his lips moving as though in prayer. He was afraid, but he stood his ground, ready to fight, to defend as he always had. /All I ever wanted was to be understood./

"Now is the time for deciding," said Bodhi. "I cannot wait too long and I tire of talking. Choose your allegiance. The masters you serve or the Mistress that will let you destroy them."

For Alyndria there was no choice - she only hoped the others would understand. "I do not trust you or the others," she took a deep breath, "but they are the devil I know. I must decline." Khalid didn't make a movement to suggest he had heard.

There was a long silence before Bodhi spoke, her voice neutral and slightly pitying in the dark. "That is...unfortunate. Very well, you may go. You have made an enemy here today, and I will face you on my own terms when the inevitable time comes."

"Boldly said, creature," a stuttering defence filled Alyndria's heart with relief, the emotion in it so genuine that it almost brought tears to her eyes, "yet you do not face us. Alyndria has been underestimated by far better. You will rue the day of conflict when it comes, I think."

But there was no answer from the darkness. Bodhi was gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com