Photo

Part 9 : Showdown

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Weyoun

Posted 27 October 2002 - 05:41 PM

Growing Up part 9 : Showdown

"I just don't know what to do," Vierna said. She was sitting on a bed in Arokh's room, supporting her head with her hands. After hours of tossing and turning in her bed, not being able to get a wink of sleep, the young Drow decided talking about her problems might help her sort out all the conflicting feelings. Adventuring was a nice profession, but, often enough, she felt very lost without her mother to talk to.

"I don't think we can help you with this one, kid," Arokh said pensively. Maintaining that the room was a bit chilly, the dragon-turned-elf sat by the fire to warm his old bones.

"Ditto, sis..." Valas said and wiped his glasses. He sat straight up in his chair. Vierna's brother had finally managed to slip out of the partygoers and into the inn for some much-deserved rest, only to find himself drafted by Arokh. "Vierna, this is a decision only you can make..."

"Oh," Vierna snorted. "This from the Drow who's only ever had one girlfriend... 'Unfortunately'," Vierna joked, "it was love at first sight, and you've been living together in a little house in the Athkatla Government District behind a white fence for four years now... Don't tell me you have any wedding plans yet, bro!"

A blank stare from Valas confirmed Vierna's worst 'fear'. "Oh, no..." she sighed. "Don't tell me..."

"I hadn't have a chance to buy a ring yet," Valas snickered. "But it's only a matter of time before I will propose to Cari."

"Geez!" Vierna yelled and held up her hands. "Is there even anyone out there who has the same troubles with love as I have? Sometimes it feels as if I am the only one..."

"Sorry," Valas smiled apologetically.

"Just as well," Vierna sighed heavily. "I don't wish my troubles on anybody's head."

"Hey," Valas added with a chuckle. "At least you're not starving for love..."

An icy, murderous look from Vierna, made Valas feel less than an inch tall, however.

"Sorrrrryyyyyy," Valas said. "What about you, Arokh? Have you ever had a mate?"

Arokh directed his gaze to the floor and there was an uncharacteristic touch of sadness in his voice. "Yes, I had. Back on Krynn, about four-thousand years ago. Iiyur'slluiotiarr was a magnificent red, with eyes as green as the darkest emeralds and a flame which could melt the snow from a mountain range! I had to bring her plenty of treasure and cattle to win her heart, I can tell you that, kiddies..."

"We spend three wonderful centuries together," the dragon-turned-elf said. "Then, a group of twelve paladins entered our lair when I was out hunting food. The bastards killed my mate as she slept and destroyed our newly laid eggs in the name of their 'purity and goodness'-rethoric."

"Ouch," Valas stammered. "Sorry I asked."

"It was a long time ago," Arokh continued. "And I have avenged my mate and our unborn children. I flew to their guildhouse and rained the fire of death and destruction upon them. I killed them all."

"You did right," Valas said. "Killing a dragon in her sleep and helpless babes in their eggs isn't very honorable in my book."

"Quite," Arokh snorted. "But that's not all I did, kid. At the time, I was so enraged I used powerful magics to bind their souls to the land, imprisoning over a hundred spirits on the prime, unable to pass through the vale. And even now that I have 'mellowed out', as Vierna puts it, I'm still hard pressed to release them...."

"Hmmm," Valas said, thinking. "Drama, tragedy, destruction... Your tale would make a great play. I could scribe a..."

"Don't bother, kid," Arokh snorted. "I don't like to flaunt my dirty laundry. Binding those souls is not exactly something I am proud of, all things considered..."

"Hey, you two!" Vierna chuckled. "I thought this was supposed to be about me!"

---

Yalafein had been having a lot of trouble sleeping as well. Finding it impossible to get some rest, he stared out of the window of his room, watching the full moon while pondering his future. It was all a blur to him, but he guessed that was the nature of an adventurer's life. Mostly, Yalafein wanted to find a stable home, yet Vierna seemed to be most interested in living a wanderer's life. And... Yalafein would very much like Vierna to be in his future.

Eventually, Yalafein decided to walk out of the room to go for a stroll outside. He could still hear the sounds of the party, even though it was dying down. Perhaps a stroll in the cold air would shake the cobwebs out of his head. Then he passed the dragon's room... and he heard Vierna talking. Intrigued, he snuck towards the door and listened.

"Hey, you two!" he heard Vierna chuckle. "I thought this was supposed to be about me!"

"Didn't you ever take another mate, Arokh?" Ah, her brother is in there as well...

"No," he heard Arohk say resolutely. "Dragons mate for life. Even if it is cut short..."

"Wow..." he heard Valas say. Apparently he was impressed.

"Ay, you're both so young still," Yalafein heard Arokh say. "You'll understand when you get older..."

"Which brings me back to my problem..." he heard Vierna whisper. "Who do I want to get older with?"

"Shivon or Yalafein?" he heard Valas say. "Tough one...."

"Gods know, I love them both... But in different ways!" he heard Vierna stammer. "Yalafein... Yalafein is bold, strong, yet sensitive and so very mysterious... And Shiv... Shivon has always been my friend. He's reliable, trustworthy... My first love... And we were so cruelly kept apart..."

"Like it or not, kid," he heard Arokh say again. "The sooner you make your decision the better... It's not fair to either lad to string them along... Besides, it'll make things harder for you too..."

The next thing Yalafein heard was the sound of soft sobbing... Then, Yalafein made a decision of his own.
---

Shivon sighed heavily. For the first time in twenty years he was not able to summon the inner peace needed to slip into the elven reveree... To much was on his mind... Vierna... Yalafein... this whole damn situation. He knew he loved Vierna with all his heart, but he didn't knew if that was enough...

Shivon sighed heavily, lay down on his bed and cast a 'sleep'-spell on himself to slip into the peace of deep slumber...

---

About an hour later, Vierna finally decided to return to her own room to, once again, try to get some sleep. Vierna mused how this inn seemed to be larger on the inside of the building, seeing there were so many rooms on the second floor. She found the door to her room, which was located right next to those of her companions. Normally, the party slept in one single room, but seeing that this time, the friends didn't retire at the same time, they decided to hire six separate, smaller rooms to avoid disturbing each other. Vierna opened the door and entered the room.

To her surprise, she found Yalafein sitting on a chair facing the window. His normally impassive face now radiated a strange coldness.

"So," he began, sending chills down her spine, "you're finally here... It's about time."

"Yalafein? What's..." Vierna began, but was interrupted.

"I tire of this game, Vierna. You are but a mere child, a mere distraction," Yalafein said. "But that is now over with."

Vierna couldn't believe what she was hearing. "Yal? W-why are y-you saying these things to me?" she choked.

"Isn't it obvious?" Yalafein snarled. "I am ending this pitiful excuse for a relationship. And do not call me 'Yal' anymore... I'll be leaving right now, thank you."

"W-why?" Vierna asked while tears ran from her eyes.

"Just look at you... Crying... You're nothing but a weak little girl..." Yalafein spat.

"H-how could you... We spent the night...." Vierna said.

"Were you actually under the impression that meant something to me? You are even more deluded than I thought!" Yalafein spat.

Vierna instead said nothing but looked upon Yalafein intently. A harsh look crossed her young features as she took a step closer to him. "Look me in the eye, and tell me that," she menaced.

Yalafein complied and took a step closer. He never got the chance to open his mouth though, and a sharp pain exploded through-out his body as Vierna violently raised her knee. The next thing he knew, Yalafein was roughly shoved to the floor, gasping for air...

After a few minutes of silent recovery, Yalafein was finally again able to form a coherent thought. He looked around for Vierna, but noticed she had run from the room. Instead, he saw a scarred dragon-turned-elf standing in from of him. Shaking his head, Yalafein finally managed to get to his feet.

"I know what you're trying to do," the dragon said impassively. "Oh, don't look so surprised. Trying to sneak up on a dragon is foolish at best... fatal at worst. Even for someone with Drow stealth. I appreciate what you tried to do... but..."

A solid blow of Arokh's fist landed squarely on Yalafein's jaw. The sheer force of the blow caused him to fly across the room and crash into the wall. The shook up Drow shot the dragon an incredulous look while he rubbed his painful chin.

"You made her cry," Arokh answered. "DON'T... do it... again..."

Then, Arokh suddenly raised his eyebrow and sped out into the hallway.

---

"Hey, Arokh!" a yawning Valas called after him as Arokh sped by. "What happened?"

"Valas, kid," Arokh said. "I think I have an idea what this magical force around Yalafein is, but I'll have to check my books to be sure..."

"I'm not gonna get any sleep tonight, am I?" Valas said.

Arokh simply snorted and conjured up an dimension door for them...

---

Vierna sat on a large stone on top of a large boulder overlooking the dying lights of Trademeet. The hour was late enough, and it seemed most of the partygoers had finally retired to their homes and inns, save for a few die-hards. She continuously ran her hand over Brimstone's rusty-brown fur. Her faithful animal companion was waiting for her as she left the town perimeter. She mused how easy her live had been only three months ago. Travelling the surface of Faerun had brought her friends, joy and fame... But right now, she wished she had never left home...

"How dare you make my decision for me?" Vierna whispered silently as she heard the approach of another.

"How did you know I was here?" Yalafein asked.

"I'm a Ranger, Yal...afein," Vierna spat, accentuated by Brimstone's angry growl.

"Sorry," Yalafein said sheepishly.

"Why?"

"Because... You chose for him the moment the two of you met again at the elven camp. You just didn't know it at the time," Yalafein said.

Vierna didn't reply, but just sighed deeply. Yalafein had just confirmed something Vierna had been struggling with for weeks.

"And I noticed my presence was giving you so much sorrow," Yalafein conceded. "You, Vierna... You are unique. You are filled with such joy and spirit. Do you have any idea how rare that is in a Drow? I... didn't want to be responsible for quenching your spirit..."

"Thank you," Vierna said sincerely. Then, her eyes grew wide. "Ermmm, I'm sorry I hit you..."

"Don't worry about it!" Yalafein chuckled. "My matron used to treat me much worse...."

"AND so she shall again!" both Drow heard call from behind.

---

Gerty became suddenly aware of her surroundings. A sharp pain in her head exploded as she heard the clanking of armor. It seemed she had fallen asleep over her cups... again. She was also the last one downstairs. Until she heard a familiar clanking running down the stairs.

"Urgggh," Gerty moaned. "Lenny, stop walking around in your armor. My head feels like someone is growing Cormyrian Jumping Turnips inside of it..."

"There's no time!" Lenny said, as he was joined my Glyill, Arokh and Valas. "Arokh has finally identified that weird magical sensation around Yalafein!"

"He's got a what now?" Gerty asked while rubbing his head.

"Weren't you paying attention last night when I told you?" Lenny said.

"Heh," Gerty snorted. "You could cast a 'Lightning Bolt' next to my ears last night and I wouldn't have heard it!"

"This is no time for idle conversation," Glyill said in her dark, mysterious voice. "Vierna is in grave danger."

"Do we even know where she's hanging out?" Gerty asked.

Immediately, Arokh fished a pendant from his pouch. Not mentioning it was specifically created to track down Vierna, the dragon-turned-elf performed a divination. "She's," Arokh muttered, "outside of town... overlooking Trademeet...."

"Hey, that's where that boulder is laying!" Gerty said. "The one that looked like a turnip..."

"It looked like a dagger," Glyill spat.

"TURNIP!"

"DAGGER!"

"Will you two shut up?" Valas uncharacteristically shouted. "My sister's in danger."

"Right," Arokh said. "You go ahead. Valas and I will pull Shivon from his bed and join you later..."

---

"My, my, isn't this a sweet scene," a voice mocked from behind them, as Vierna and Yalafein drew their weapons and Brimstone growled deeply.

"Show yourself!" Vierna yelled.

Immediately, a regal Drow female rippled into existence. She was the kind of female that wore a permanent scowl, never smiled expect to grin ferally. She wore lavish clothing, colored purple and red. Several spider-designs were stitched on her robe, and on her head she wore a black, metal headdress. Her eyes were a piercing red as she stared down the two Drow before her.

"Tegryina," Yalafein spat, while Vierna whipped her head around as she recognized the name.

"That's Matron Tegryina to you, slave!" the female shouted in return.

"How go things in Rilauven?" Yalafein asked, hoping to divert the matron's attention from Vierna.

"I'm glad you asked!" Tegryina purred. "During your absence, House Xsoralynn rose from eight to fifth house!"

"Fifth!" Yalafein stammered. "In less than two years?"

"Our House is favored by Lolth herself!" Tegryina smiled to herself.

"Your ambition grows close to madness!" Yalafein retorted.

"Hold your tongue!" Tegryina spat. "Or I'll cut it out and hold it FOR you!"

"So," Vierna broke in. "What brings you to the surface? I hear there's great shopping in Trademeet, but I'm afraid you've missed the festival..."

"Oh, that's not why I'm here at all!" Tegryina grinned.

Suddenly three figures burst from the bushes, weapons drawn...

"You are here to die, turniphatin' scum!" Gerty shouted as Lenny waved her spear and Glyill twirled her mace.

Tegryina seemed unimpressed and even mocked them with a faux-yawn. "Ah, your little friends have arrived, I see. Fortunately, I have 'friends' of my own..."

As if on cue, several dimension doors opened behind the matron. Immediately, dozens of battlehardened Drow soldiers and several female clerics stormed through, shouting battlecries. All were armed to the teeth, ready for a fight to the death...

"Well, Lenny," Gerty said. "You take the ten on the left, I'll take the ten on the right..."

"This'll be a fight to the death, Gerty," Vierna whispered with a hint of fear.

"That's positive thinking, Vierna," Gerty said. "Look at them! They have crossbows! We'll be lucky if we even get close enough to fight..."

"Oh, do not worry," the matron said. "There'll be no fight..."

The matron immediately cast a spell and a powerful magical force shot through the gathered party. After the painful magical sensations were gone, Vierna and her friends were unable to move a muscle.

"You wonder perhaps," the matron said as she strolled to a motionless Yalafein. "how I have managed to find you? It's not really that mysterious. You might like to think you have escaped, my dear Yalafein, but such is not true... I allowed you to escape. I bred the wish in you to escape. Do you think it is a coincidence that I left my ring of Translation on my nightstand after our bout of passion? Do you think it is a coincidence that you were assigned to all those surface-raids. Do you think it is a coincidence that you were allowed to speak to surfacer-slaves?"

Yalafein's eyes grew wide. He wanted to strangle the female in from of him with his bare hands.

"No, I have manipulated you from the start, and you, as the weak-minded male that you are, have allowed yourself to be used like the fool that you are! A little dweomer cast upon you allowed us to see, hear and track you across the planes! And I have seen many vomit-inducing scenes, mind you!" the matron said and strolled over to Vierna. She ran her hand suggestively over Vierna's cheek. "Though, I understand the attraction... Such a sweet, young thing she is..."

Unfettered, Tegryina continued her rant. "You were supposed to track down and join the wicked settlements of the Cult of Eilistraee. Then, when the time was right, I would signal our troops and we would storm the settlement to kill them all while they slept... It would have been a glorious victory for the Spider Queen! But, fate had delivered us a better price..." Tegryina walked over to Vierna again and laid her hands on Vierna's shoulders. "This one's mother, Viconia DeVir. Lolth still wants revenge on her, but no less than three goddesses will directly intervene if she is threatened by Lolth. So, we'll take revenge on her in another way; by killing her daughter... Lolth's reward shall be great... It was touch and go there for a while, but the Yochlol did its job perfectly! Viconia had been too long away for the Underdark to fully detect the dweomer..."

Yalafein wanted to shout, to move, to kill, but found himself unable to.

"You're a disgrace to Drow everywhere, Vierna," the matron whispered in her ear. "Pathetic... Weak...That's why you have to die..."

"Pity," Tengryina purred. "I would have loved to add this young one to my phalanx of pleasure-slaves, but I'm..."

"Vierna, where are... Uh-oh..." Valas said as he, Arokh, and Shivon entered the clearing...

"Ah," the matron said. "Here we have child number two! How fortunate!"

"VIERNA!" Shivon shouted and moved to run towards her. A grasp from Arokh prevented him from doing so, however. In the meantime, the other Drow rose their weapons and approached the three elves.

"And there's the vile surface-elf and the dragon," the matron said. "Liyo'ix," she motioned to her weaponmaster, "you may attack..."

A drow wearing an ornate armor sped forward to intercept. Immediately, Arokh raised his arm impassively, while an orange bolt shot from his hand. A few seconds later, the only thing left of the Drow weaponmaster were two smoking boots and a pile of ashes...

"Impressive," the matron chuckled, unperturbed by the loss of her weaponmaster. "He took care of your replacement, Yalafein... Pity... He was talented in the bedchambers..."

"Take my advice, kid," Arokh spoke to the matron. "Leave now or I will have to hurt you..."

"Oh," the matron giggled. "I can assure you my strikeforce has dealt with Deep Dragons before..."

"Deep Dragons?" Arokh snorted. "Small cave-dwelling dragons..." Arokh chuckled again and quickly cast dispel to free all those frozen in spells. Afterwards he shapeshifted in his dragonform. Rarely had the tides of battle turned so quickly. Arokh's red hulk towered above the highest trees surrounding the clearing, and as he arched his long neck downwards, most Drow soldiers stepped back.. Arokh smiled inwardly and let out an ear-shattering bellow, causing more than half of the troops to drop their weapons and flee in horror.

Again being able to make use of their weapons, the party dispatched those few Drow that attacked them. The remaining Drow simply stood by, transfixed by the sheer size of the dragon sitting before him.

"FOOLS!" the matron shouted. "ATTACK, DAMN YOU! We have the favor of LOLTH herself!" Faced with a defeat that could cost her dearly, Tegryina stepped forward. "YOU!" she shouted at Vierna. "YOU WILL DIE!"

"Do you like FIRE?!!" Arokh menaced threateningly and directed his efforts on the matron.

Matron Tegryina considered her options. The Erow known as Vierna DeVir was distracted fighting one of the males, and the dragon might be big, but that means he could very well be slow to react. She made her decision. "LOLTH WILL PROTECT ME! DIE!!!!" she cried and a wand appeared in her hand.

"NO!!" Shivon shouted.

The next moment seemed like an eternity.... Shivon dove through the air... Vierna slammed her left sword in the throat of the male and slowly turned towards the matron... Arokh took in a breath and arched his neck downward... A bolt of sickeningly purple light shot from the wand... Shivon stepped before Vierna... Arokh released his flame... The purple bolt hit Shivon squarely in the chest and was sent flailing backwards... Vierna shouted out her denial, dropped her weapons and flew towards Shivon... The Matron released her failure just as the dragonflame hit her. An incredulous look crossed her sharp features as she was consumed by the flames...

"Shivon!" Vierna shouted, tears streaming down her face. "No... no... please... please don't die, Shiv..."

"Vier..." Shivon managed.

"Please don't die..." Vierna cried. "I love you... Don't go... I love you..."

"Vierna..." Shivon managed a smile. "Y-you... you... love me?"

"Yes..."

"I... love you... too," Shivon stammered.

"If you're done crying," Glyill smiled. "You'll noticed I've just healed Shivon,"

"Wha..." Both Vierna and Shivon said.

"Geez," Gerty said. "You sure know how to ruin a romantic moment!"

Glyill said nothing but looked upon Gerty with distaste.

"Look!" Lenny said and pointed at the remaining Drow. Most of them seemed to be huddling against each other. Some soldiers held their cloaks over their heads, other were wailing fearfully. The priestesses seemed to be praying for forgiveness, but judging from their fear and their frantic behavior, it was obvious Lolth had abandoned them.

"Why are they sobbing?" Gerty asked.

"Look," Yalafein said. "The sun is rising..."

"Their goddess has abandoned them, and with it, their magic has fled. They cannot return home..." Glyill said.

"Even if they could," Yalafein said, "they'll have nothing to come home to. House Xsoralynn has made many enemies, and it is certain it will fall to them without Tegryina's leadership."

"Yalafein," Vierna stammered. "Your parents..."

"Do not worry," he replied. "My parents are commoners. They are not targeted and will find the alliance of a new house."

"What... What is to become of us?" One of the priestesses managed to bring out...

"You can come with me," Yalafein said. "All of you. There are villages around Silverymoon for surface-dwelling Drow... Eilistraee will take you in..."

"WICKED!" the priestess spat.

"Your only chance for survival," Yalafein retorted. The gathered Drow shot him incredulous looks, but seemed to rely on him now.

"I will bring this lot," Arokh said. "You get to ride a dragon after all, kid... Hey, at least it keeps me away from that gypsy music for a while."

"You deserve to be with the one you love, Vierna," Yalafein smiled and embraced her. "I wish you well. Now I must go... I feel I must discover myself as well. I've never fancied myself as a leader, but we shall see."

"We'll stop by one day, Yalafein," Vierna said. "I promise you that."

Then, Vierna walked back to Shivon and, with the help of Lenny, hoisted the exhausted elf to his feet.

"Be well, Yal," Vierna whispered as she whispered a goodbye.

"See ya, kid!" Arokh said.

Vierna turned to face Shivon, who was smiling at her. Without hesitation, Vierna kissed Shivon firmly on the lips.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com