Photo

Part 1 : Campfire tales

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Weyoun

Posted 27 October 2002 - 05:19 PM

Ah, my first ever NWN story. Does anybody think this game would have been better with a party? :)

NWN spoiler ratio : minor chapter 1 and early chapter 2 spoilers here, so be warned. :)

A'meal Mellonamin 1 : Campfire scene

Dusk was making way for the darkness of night as the party of Alris Leafwalker, Elven ranger, had set up camp. They had just stumbled out of the caverns north of Port Llast, which had been filled to the brim with Orcs, Ogres and Bugbears. After clearing out the caves, they had licked their wounds, and retreated to a hilltop away from the area. Linu had healed all their injuries, and now they were preparing to return to Lady Aribeth to present them with the new evidence they had obtained.

After experiencing initial trouble getting the fire to start, Boddyknock Glinckle, gnomish sorcerer, managed to use one of the inventions he had collected to set the firepit ablaze.

"Nice," Sharwyn, the cheeky bard from Neverwinter smiled as she warmed her hands by the fire. "Why did you never use that thing before, Boddy?"

Boddyknock said nothing, but instead pointed the large bulky machine at Sharwyn. The machine was about the size of a half-orc's head and was covered with gears. A spigot and a button were located at the top. On the side of the machine was a small label which read : 'Lighter--- Athkatlan patent number 234. Another fine invention brought to you by Jan Jansen AdventureTech.'

"It's a Jansen invention," Boddyknock spoke in a deep, but friendly voice. "Their reputation is dubious, therefore I decided to only use this invention if absolutely necessary."

Sharwyn started to protest, but when she saw the small print under the label which said 'aforementioned gnome is NOT, I repeat, NOT responsible for loss of limbs,' she agreed without question.

"Well," Linu smiled as she lounged at the fire, keeping a more than reasonable distance from the flames, "I was certainly grateful for it, dear."

"I'll say!" the thick accent of Tomi Undergallows, halfling rogue from the faraway nation of Calimport, flew across the glade. "You're the first person I know who set herself on fire by rubbing two sticks together..."

"At least I'm glad I packed another shirt," Linu sighed. "Klutziness is my lot in life, dear."

"Yes," Grimgnaw, the stone-faced dwarf replied as he tried to meditate upon the tenets of his Silent Lord. "You are definitely on the road to True Death, elf. Just like all the little goblinoids that died at our feet."

"Say, Grim-ass," Sharwyn chuckled. "I gotta ask you. Have you ever even kissed a girl?"

"What does THAT have to do with anything?" the dwarven monk replied sharply, his snappy answer betraying more than he wanted it to.

"Oh, nothing," Sharwyn chuckled. "I was just thinking it would explain a lot."

"Ha!" Tomi chuckled and settled a little closer to the giggling bard. "That's a good one, Shar!"

"Tomi," Sharwyn smiled like a cheshire cat. "Please get your hand off my butt... Or they'll be calling you Stumpy for the rest of your natural life..."

"Blimey!" Tomi grinned as he withdraw his hand. "How did that get there? I swear, my body has a life of its own."

"Sharwyn," Grimgnaw replied calmly. "Make your jokes and poke your fun if you wish. But, one day, my friend, when your body is being torn apart by your enemies... When they are carving you up, stack up your bodyparts and are sent screaming to the Silent Lord, you will think of me..."

"Nah," Sharwyn replied with a grin, "I'll probably just been thinking : I bet I'd make a better-looking pile of bodyparts than they just made from Grimmy while I watched..."

"Dears," Linu broke in. "I think it is time for a change of subject..."

"Well, speaking of moping around," Tomi chuckled. "Our resident ranger hasn't spoken since we got out of the caves..."

"It's the new evidence, dear," Linu said.

"Correct," Boddyknock nodded. "Previous occurences suggest that he is day-dreaming..."

"I'm not daydreaming," Alris said, his light elven voice flowing over the camp as he didn't even bother to look up. "I'm just thinking..."

The elf usually fought with two swords, and wore a light elven chainmail, a gift from his grandmother Leilani when he left Evermeet to adventure two years ago. He had a similar silver-grey complexion his moon eleven family was known for, but compensated for it with a thick mane of red hair. The ranger had been cheerful and courteous, like he always was... but that always changed when the party headed back to Port Llast.

His animal companion, a huge Dire Wolf called Hane, sat at the edge of camp, avoiding the fire and keeping watch for any unwanted visitors.

"Thinking about Aribeth, eh?" Tomi chuckled.

"Tomi, leave it alone," Linu tried but Tomi ignored her.

"She's a cute bird, I'll give you that... And she's single..." Tomi's eyes lit up. "Come on, matey! Take a chance, already!"

"I couldn't..." Alris shook his head. "She's just lost... It's not right..."

"Come on, mate," Tomi grinned. "You know what she needs now. Really, really needs now? She needs to keep her mind of her troubles, so what she needs is..."

"Tomi!" Linu all but snarled.

"... A bloody good shag!" Tomi grinned.

"Tomi, please," Alris sighed.

"I'm not kidding! She's gagging for it, mate!" Tomi chuckled and sat up straight. "And why not, it's good for what ails ya... And there's plenty that ails that bird, I can tell ya!"

"Tomi, shut up," Sharwyn sighed. "You're not helping."

"You could make me shut up," Tomi grinned. "With a lovely brush of lips, Sharry..."

"Sorry, Tomi," Sharwyn bit back. "I'm washing my hair tonight."

"Ouch!" Tomi shouted, grasped his chest and threw himself backwards. "The killer of all hopeful males... Oh, be still my aching heart!"

"Seriously, Alris," Sharwyn smiled encouraging to the brooding ranger. "She's open to your advances. I can see it, Alris, I can see it in her eyes. Aribeth is just waiting for you to make the next move."

"Are you sure?" Alris said. "If you're not sure..."

"Shut up, soldier!" Sharwyn giggled. "Suck in that gut, stand up straight and when we march into Port Llast tomorrow, you walk into the barracks and sweep Aribeth off her feet!"

"And the best way to do that," Tomi grinned, "is to walk right in and say : Ari, baby! Why don't you and I go to your bedroom for a bit of rough and tumble!"

"Empirical evidence suggests that errant behavior leads to A) a punch in the face or B) a drink thrown in the face," Boddyknock said in his usual stoic tone of voice.

"Always keep your mouth open when you're propositioning a lady in a bar, mates," Tomi grinned.

"I dunno, Boddy," Sharwyn chuckled, "but for some reason I would expected you to have pointy ears..."

"That is the most illogical statement I have ever heard you make," Boddyknock frowned. "Could you endeavor to explain this link between logical behaviour and pointed ears?"

"Hmmm, it's just a feeling, I guess," Sharwyn added.

"Well, Linu has pointed ears, and she has never done anything logical in her life," Tomi chuckled.

"Oh, thank you very much, dear," Linu shook her head.

"Just having a little fun with you, darling," Tomi grinned. "What were we talking about?" Tomi said, the fire casting an eerie shade of red over his smiling face. "Oh, yeah! Alris' quest to get inside Aribeth's panties..."

"I don't want to merely get into her panties, Tomi," Alris snapped. "Aribeth... Aribeth's too good for that..."

"Oh, dear," Linu smiled. "Alris wants more than a romp, Tomi. Haven't you figured that out by now?"

"Tomi's incorrigible," Sharwyn grinned.

"You are most correct in your assumption, Sharwyn," Boddyknock added.

"Well, at least you can do the kissy-stuff first," Tomi nodded. "Just wait for the rest till the third date."

At that point, Linu decided to put a marshmellow on a stick about the fire... Something she would have best avoided... The fire grabbed hold of the stick and travelled along until it reached Linu's hand. The startled elf yelped in surprise and dropped the stick... right into a patch of dried grass... on which Grimgnaw was sitting at the time.

The dwarf roared in fury as his robe caught fire, and he proceeded to pat them out with flailing arms. "Ack!" he snarled. "This is why am I beardless in the first place!"

Alris just shook his head and chuckled as the rest of his party talked and laughed together. This motly group has definitely been growing closer over the past few months, and he was happy for it. Through their many differences they had found a common bond in their travels, something even the nasty Grimgnaw could not deny.

"Hey, hey, hey, shut up!" Sharwyn smiled and grabbed hold of her lute. "What do you think of my newest song," she said and started singing. "Knock-knock-knocking on Celestia's Dooo-ooorrrr..."

---

Alris felt his heart beating in his throat as he approached the barracks which housed Aribeth and Aarin Gend as they coordinated the efforts of the Neverwinter soldiers. Apparently, Aribeth decided she needed a break and had stepped outside for a moment. She stood there, her armor gleaming in the midday sun while her loose red hair whipped in the wind.

Alris gulped as he stepped closer to the elven paladin. No doubt Tomi and Sharwyn were watching them from a distance... But, as expected, Aribeth's sharp elven hearing had picked up his approach. The elven paladin whipped around, directing a warm smile at Alris... He felt himself melting into a puddle under her gaze.

"My friend," Aribeth greeted warmly. "I am so happy to see you. I hope the Life is treating you and yours kindly, Alris. Have you found any new information on the cult?"

"Uuuh, here," Alris stammered, handing Aribeth a handwritten note which had become a little damp due to his sweaty palms.

Aribeth started to read and discuss the evidence, but Alris did not even hear a word. He was too distracted by Aribeth's beautiful eyes... her graceful, lady-like bearence... her beautiful nose... the gentle flow of her words as they rolled over her tongue. But her eyes were still the most striking before...'No, no, no!' Alris through to himself. 'Don't look down, she'll know! Just focus on the eyes... her eyes... her gorgeous eyes... her magnificent eyes...'

"...sometimes I wish I had remained in the forests of home and became a huntress instead... My life seemed so much simpler then..." Aribeth spoke softly, her voice lined with hidden sadness. Then, her eyes focused on those of Alris', apparently awaiting his response...

'Okay, this is it... Oh, I hope I won't mess up,' Alris thought, 'Okay, okay... Smooth, suave and sophisticated! Okay... 'You're my destiny', 'You're my soul', 'My heart aches for you'... Oh, sweet Corellon she's waiting for my answer... Better not keep her waiting... Oh, come ON! Say something! NOW! SAY, SAY, SAY, SAY, SAY, SAY, SAY, SAY!!!!!'

"Errr, you wanna... drink an ale with me at the tavern?" the elven ranger stammered, but mentally, he cursed himself to the depths of the Abyss.

But the expected rebuff never game. Instead, the elven paladin cracked a smile... a smile which soon widened. "I'd love to," Aribeth spoke softly. "Shall we go now? We can continue our conversation at the tavern..."

As the two elves had walked to and were about to enter the tavern, Alris glanced over his shoulders. He found Sharwyn winking at him, while Tomi shot him the handsign for 'Date number one, two more to go!' before Sharwyn smacked him in the back of the head.

Alris smiled and entered the tavern, and knew his first date with Aribeth would be bliss.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com