Chapter Ten

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Dwagon_*

Posted 27 October 2002 - 11:07 AM

Two weeks before she was due to deliver, and Tanara was getting ready for bed. Several weeks had passed since she had been reunited with her brother, and she felt more relaxed and safer than she had for years. Her rapidly advancing pregnancy limited her movements to within the large walled compound of the inn, but Tanara did not have the energy to endure beyond. I'd forgotten how tiring pregnancy is, she thought tiredly.

Her elder brother, Tlaman, had recieved word from some of his mysterious contacts that several Bhaalists were busy scouring the area for a woman and child matching her and her son's description. She had no intention of allowing either herself or Somonas to be recaptured and slaughtered once she had delivered the Bhaalspawn she carried, and so limited their movements to within the inn.

Tanara had been given one of the best suites, amoungst the first to be renovated by Bently and Galena, the two gnomes who owned the inn. The couple had insisted that she stay, free of charge, for as long as she liked. I still cannot believe how generous they have been to me, despite knowing I carry Bhaal's child. Tlaman is very lucky to be able to count such people as his friends.

The set of luxurious rooms was the largest Tanara had ever lived in, and it taken her some time to get used to, after a lifetime spent living in crude huts and sleeping on hard pallets and thin rush mats. Why the bedroom alone is larger that the hut I was force to share with Dar. That seems so long ago - like another lifetime, lived by a different me - but less than two years have passed since I left. I have changed so much since then - I can't believe I ever submitted to Dar like I did.

She laughed then, I would never have believed then that I could survive so long, and travel so far, without a man to protect me. Even though I have found Tlaman now, I find it hard to let him make my decisions for me, as I should do. He is my elder brother and last remaning male relative, and I should respect him properly. It is just so hard sometimes! But stiIl, I will perservere and hope he does not grow too angry with me. He is still very much a Clansman in his dealings with me.

She walked quietly, her feet padding softly in the thick carpet that covered the floor, to the crib lying at the foot of her bed. Her fast growing son was asleep at last and a warm maternal smile covered her face. A month of good food, a warm bed and a loving atmosphere had done wonders for the once frail infant. You are growing so well my son, at long last and one day you will grow into a warrior as brave and strong as any found in song, legend or tale. She lent down and kissed him softly on the head before making her way into her bed. I wonder how this child I carry will turn out - how will Bhaal's taint affect it? This was her last thought as she drifted off to sleep.

She was floating above a rushing river that coursed through a broken countryside of heather and gorse, one she had never seen before. Tanara didn't know where she was, only that everything looked strange, as though seen through a silken veil or heat haze. A movement on a stone bridge over the river caught her eye and she tried to will herself forward, only to find herself unable to do so, as though anchored by some invisible force. She glaced to her side, and saw a mutitude of floating female figures, figures that seemd more real than anything else here. They were of many races and ages: she saw humans, elves, dwarves and many other strange species there. The woman to her left was a dark skinned elf with shining white hair and a haughty demeanor, while to her right a frightened looking fisherwoman hung there, shaking with fear. Dotted amongst the strange crowd were several figures clothed in the long black robes worn by the priestess of Bhaal. Tanara felt a shiver run down her spine, that could be me, still, if I had not escaped... Thank Boronus that I did, she thought.

A bright flash of light drew her attention back to the bridge below, and she watched, openmouthed, as ball of light, like a minature sun coalseced in front of her. It was brighter than anything she had ever seen, but somehow its unreal nature saved her from its full force. It burned with an incandescent brightness for several seconds and all the bridge was obscured. As the light slowly waned Tanara saw that several men on the ground below had not been so lucky. One lay prone on the bridge, while two others clawed at their eyes as though blinded. Two figures were unharmed though, a tall, beautiful woman with pale white skin and hair as dark as winters night, and a tall, armoured man.

She stared at the man, caught by a sudden certainty. He is Bhaal...I know He is! A wave of fury, anger and pain rolled over her as she as faced once more her worst nightmare. You will pay, I swear, you will! she howled silently. With a final great effort she tore free of the invisible chains that bound her and sped downwards towards her nemisis.

As she drew nearer, the prone man roused himself, shaking his head. Drawing his rose coloured sword he moved forward slowly, crouched in a fighting pose. It is His incipent death that has brought me here, I know. He will die, on the blade that man carries - a godslayer, Tanara knew with a sudden clarity, today, I will see Him die - a god no more. As the man drew back his sword for the deadly thrust, his foot brushed against a rock, and Bhaal whirled around. He saw the deadly looking blade heading towards his heart, and had time only to scream "You fool!" before it plunged deep into his chest, spraying blood everywhere. With stunned eyes Tanara watched the sword pulse a deeper and deeper red, in a most ominous manner. Seeing this, the dark haired woman gestured sharply with her still outstretched arm, causing both her and the three men to disapear, just in time. A mere fraction of a second later, Bhaal's body began to shrink in on itself, before rapidly expanding outwards in an explosive maelstrom of wild magic. Tanara felt her ethereal body being buffeted by the rapidly expanding ball of energy and she saw everything within its radius destroyed instantly and comletely. Vegetation flared bright wite, the stone bridge melted, and the water of the river turned an strange multicoloured hue that leached downstream.

With a sudden jolt her wandering spirit was returned to her slumbering body and Tanara awoke. She sat up in bed, panting as though she had run a mile, while her hands shook wildly, stunned by her vision. Somehow, deep inside her, she knew what she had seen was true, though not how or why she had witnessed it. Her mind reeled, unable or unwilling to accept it all. Bhaal is dead...gone forever. He who caused me so much pain, so much hurt, is gone!

Slowly, her initial surge of happiness gave way to a wave of trepidation as the true impact of her strange vision hit her. Her mind raced as she reasoned out the full consequences of Bhaal's death. Now that He is dead, His terrible plan can be put into action, but when? Will He bide His time, or attempt to return now, when all suspect it least? She racked her brain, trying to anticipate His next move. It would be more like Him to wait, I believe, but for how long? Not too long, lest His followers start to disperse and His powers aloing with them - they must be shocked beyond belief at ths, and I wonder if they will accept it. Some of the fanatics in the Tempe would sooner die than believe Him gone. Soon, though, His loyal folowers will begin their grim task, the sacrifice of all His offspring across the land, to return His esscence to the Abyss, where it can reform. I will not let this happen! came her determined thought. Bhaal is too evil a being to be allowed to return! Without realising it, she clasped her hands over her unborn child and lay back, thinking about how best to safeguard the life she carried within her.

I wonder how many of the other women carrying Bhaalspawn will make a simlar resolution, and how many will welcome the death of their children? Surely I cannot be the only one who is horrified by the thought of Bhaal returning. If so, His return could be more problematic than He expected...

"Are you sure, little sister?" Tlaman asked, his face full of shock after hearing of Tanara's vision the night before. "How do you know it wasn't just a dream? You have been through a lot you know."

"I am," Tanara replied in a quiet voice. "It was not a dream, Tlaman, believe me." Ever since she had woken, Tanara had been focussed on one thing-to protect her unborn child, no matter the cost or how evil or misshapen it turned out to be. Bhaal must not be allowed to return!

"If you are sure then..." Tlaman said slowly. At Tanara.s emphatic nod, he continued. "I think you should stay here then, little sister, where I can look ater you. There is no way you could take care of yourself and your children on your own, now is there?" he said gently, a smile on his face.

Tanara tried to hide the despair she felt at this. More time behind walls, locked away? How I long to be outside once more and truly free. Still, he is my elder brother and knows best. "I suppose you are right, Tlaman," she said in a resigned voice.

"Of course I am, little sister," he replied. "You should not worry about anything, I wil take care of you and protect you."

Tanara stifled a sigh at this. You would think I had never managed to escape from the temple and find my way north without him. "I am too near to risk travelling and I suppose this is the safest place to be." Though I wish I could find some quiet, isolated village, deep in the woods, to be safe in. But my wishes are not important. "I must protect this child I carry. All the Bhaalspawn have to die for Bhaal to return and that is not something I will allow," she said strongly, despite the fear that gripped her guts as the terrible memories flowed throuh her mind like poison, weakening her with their power. I do not have time for this now! she told herself firmly, trying to repress the memories of the horrors she had endured at His hands. "I do not care what kind of being this child turns out to be-even if it is as evil as its sire, I will not let it die, for He would be far worse. I will safeguard it with my own life if need be!"

"Very well then, little sister," Tlaman replied, "but that should not prove nessecary. I will contact a friend of mine, a mage known as Gorion. He will be able to give me advice on what to do to protect you, for he knows much about such things."

Tanara nodded, "If you say this Gorion is trustworthy, then he must be. Will you ask him to come here?" she asked.

"Yes, I will. It may take him a while to arrive as he wanders about a fair bit, but I will do my best to get him here as quickly as possible. but don't worry about anythin-you have me to look after you now."

Despite her brother's words of reassurance, Tanara could not completely quash the feelings of apprehension she felt at the thought of remaining in the inn.

The next week passed slowly as Tanara waited for her child to be born with growing anticipation. So far there had been no attempt to recapture her and no word that the slaughter of the Bhaalspawn had started, but she did not let her guard down for a moment. She spent her days playing with her son, not sure how much time she would have for him if everything went a badly as she feared it might. How do I know that this child will even be human? she thought desperately. It could be some strange monster, or perhaps worse, something that looks normal but with a soul full of it's father's evil. Will I have the strength to cope with it? Will I? I must though, for if I do not, who will? My brother does not fully understand, as I do so well, the evil that Bhaal tuly is!

Her thoughts ran round and round like this and Tanara felt a surge of relief mingled with anxiety when at long last, her contractions began. The labour was not long, and far easier than the birth of her son, that had nearly killed her in the Temple, a fact for which she was incredibly grateful. I do not think I could have survived another labour like that one, she thought, but it still left her drenched in sweat and exhausted as she took her first look at her newborn infant.

Galena tenderly handed the screaming babe to her and Tanara's first thought was one of relief. She is human! Until that moment Tanara had not realised how worried she had been that she would birth a monstrosity. She looked more closely at the child. She definitely has my features, she thought absently, noting the high cheekbones and slanted eyes typical of her people, but most definitely not my colouring. In place of pale brown skin and jet black hair and eyes, the babe had skin as dark as midnight, with hair a rich, ivory white and bright blue eyes that focussed unaturally well for one so young.

Despite herself, Tanara felt a shiver run down her spine as her daghter met her gaze calmly and was seized by a sudden premonition. If she lives, she will have the power to shape the world - but how? For good? Or more likely, will she be as evil as her sire? What have I birthed? What will come of this, of her?

A week after her birth, Tlaman held an ancient Clan ceremony, to give both her and Somonas their proper Clan names. Somonas was renamed Ki'el, after the founder of thier clan and Tanara felt it was a fitting name, much better than the one he had been given in the temple of Bhaal. She was also pleased with Tlaman's choice of name for her daughter - Avanguara. It was the name of the Clan godess of the endless winter night, who took the form of a dark skinned woman with snowy white hair, much like her daughter. She symbolised all things that must be endured, along with hope that they would pass one day, like winter itself. For we must endure the consequences of her birth, with no respite, but can also hope that she will turn into a force for good, not evil, Tanara thought to herself as the ceremony ended, but who knows how this coil of fate will turn out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com