Chapter Six

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Dwagon_*

Posted 27 October 2002 - 10:56 AM

Tanara sat bolt upright in the large bed as she suddenly woke. Where am I? What happened? Then it all came back to her, the terrible memories of the night that had just passed. Bhaal was in my bed, and my worst nightmares could not have prepared from the true horror that I would experience at His hands. Her memories of the night were so painful, so traumatic, that her stubborn mind refused to call them back in their full detail. From what little, what horrible little, I do remember, I suppose I should be glad that I have no solid memories. Vague images came back to her though...a chilling laugh, the feel of cold eyes and colder hands upon her body, the nebulous memories of a god's lust...she shuddered, trying to prevent the half formed memories from germinating into the nightmarish scenes she was sure they were. She hung her head in her hands, full of despair for her future. As she had so long ago, while still part of the Clan, she knew with certainty that she was pregnant. Though I doubt it could have turned out otherwise. He would not wish to waste time spending two nights with one woman, a fact for which I am eternally grateful. She felt dirty all over, as though covered in an invisible layer of grime that she would never be free of. Where is everyone though - why have I been left alone?

The sound of a large gong ringing answered her question; the rest of the Temple was at evening prayers, and she had no doubt that tonight's ceremony would be a long one, celebrating the presence of their God in His temple. They will be sending for me soon, she thought abstractly, and after that, I will be under guard constantly, to safeguard the wellbeing of the infant that I carry. There will be no escape for my son or me unless it comes now. I must take my chance and flee this evil place once and for all, lest I am trapped here for all eternity.

With a sudden determination brought about by deep despair, she rose unsteadily from the rumpled sheets of the large, ornate bed, and made her way across the room. She carefully walked, taking care not to trip over the ripped remains of the clothing she had worn last night, though the sight of the clothes brought back more memories to the forefront of her mind. Memories of her clothes being ripped forcibly from her trembling body, as she was pushed back against the bed, while cruel hands sought out her most tender places. No! I do not have time for those memories now...I must escape!...only then will it be safe for me to remember. Wiping away tears she had not realised she had shed, she grabbed an unspoilt robe from the wardrobe in the corner, and quickly left the large room, along with its unpleasant memories.

As she rushed down the long dark corridors of the Temple, Tanara's only thought was to find her infant son. I must find him, I must! I can only hope that he is in my old cell, for if he is not, I do not know where else in this rabbit warren of a temple he could be. When she reached the dark wooden door that led to her old cell, Tanara muttered a brief prayer to her Clan god, The Roaring Boar, that her son would be within. Her luck held, for as she swung the door open, she saw her son asleep in his cradle. Thank you, thank you, whoever heard my prayer - my son is here, and ready for our escape. She quickly scooped up the sleeping babe, and using a long length of black cloth, made a makeshift sling for her to carry him in. Hush now, my little one...Continue to dream, for if you wake now you will endanger us both. Once again her luck held as her son continued to slumber. I will need money if I am to make my way to Tlaman, though I know not where he is. But where can I get some? Her novice cell was as bare and dark as the prison cell she had once spent a long, hopeless night in before her escape from the Clan. I do not have time to look for riches within the Temple, for at any moment I might be discovered, and that would prove fatal for my son and myself once I have borne this latest child.

Deciding to look for money once she had escaped the Temple, Tanara started to head towards the Temple gates, though she had no idea how she would pass the guards posted there. Her mind was running full with possible plans when she heard a familiar voice heading towards her.

'Once I have risen to High Priesthood of this Temple, I will make sure that men such as Monikas, the so-called Master of Novices, are put most firmly in their place, the foolish monkeys, and learn the penalty for sending one such as I to clean the privvies.' The voice was T'savrak's and full of his usual arrogance as he spoke to himself.

Oh no...not him of all people. I must hide somewhere, but where? Remembering a door she had just passed, Tanara ran back along the corridor and ducked inside. The room was large, and very dusty, filled to the brim with chests and crates of all sorts. Tanara pushed the door shut, and heard to her dismay a loud click as some kind of lock clicked shut, with a ominous noise that spoke of a complex mechanism, far beyond her ability to pick, even if she had had lock-picks and a steady light source. Damn and curse it all! I cannot be trapped in this room! The room looked like many of the disused Temple rooms, used only for storage and rarely opened, if the thick layer of dust was any indicator. Finding herself overcome with a sudden wave of hopelessness, Tanara lent back against a thick tapestry that covered one wall. What am I going to do...how do I escape from a locked room? Once they have discovered I am missing they will turn the Temple upside down for me, and will eventually find me. An involuntary shudder ran through her at the thought of the punishment that would be inflicted upon her when she was caught. They will kill my son, that is for sure, and I will no doubt wish I were dead, which I will be as soon as this 'Bhaalspawn' I carry is born. Why me! Why did they have to choose me to have this child! Out of all the novices in the Temple, why was I so unlucky? Tanara began to cry then, exhausted from the stress of the past few days and her sobs did not cease until she fell into an exhausted slumber.

Tanara was awoken by the sounds of hurried footsteps racing along corridors and voices raised in anger. What? They must have discovered that I am missing, and have started searching. Well, I will not make the search any easier for them. Her thought her cut short by the sight of a silvery light piercing through the gloom of the room she was trapped in. Rising carefully, mindful of her sleeping son and the assorted detritus that covered the floor she crossed the small room to the source of the light. Closer up, she could see that the strange light was shining through a threadbare tapestry, and when she pushed it aside, she saw a stairwell full of moonlight leading upwards. The moonlight had been reflecting off an old mirror that had fallen into the stairwell, and she could feel a breath of fresh air pass over her face as she peered up the stairwell. It must lead right up to the roof...how lucky am I that it was not cloudy tonight, and that the old mirror fell over that way, for otherwise I doubt I would have discovered these stairs. Hmmm. From what I remember of my arrival at the Temple, it is not a free-standing building. If I can get onto the roof, then I am sure there must be some way down to the streets, and once there I would be safe. Thank the Clan gods for this piece of luck! As she pushed the old tapestry to one side, she knocked over one the many chests that lined the walls, and heard a loud bang as it hit the floor. She froze, fearful that someone would hear and come to investigate, but the sound was not heard over the noise of people rushing about the Temple. The chest had been knocked open when it had hit the ground, and had spilled out a small amount of coins. Someone obviously put their savings in this box, and then forget about it. But no matter about that, there is enough money here to get me out of the city and find Tlaman, if I am careful. As Tanara gathered up the coins into her belt pouch, she caught sight of herself in the old mirror. There were deep bags under her eyes, and faced was pale and strained looking, and she could see silver hairs glinting in the moonlight. I look so...old. I look more like my grandmother than myself. Trust Bhaal to leave His mark on me in as many ways as He could. With that final, harsh thought, she tore her glance away from the mirror, and headed up the steep winding stairs.

There was a full moon shining upon the roof of the Temple, and Tanara revelled in the feeling of fresh air upon her skin, the first she had felt since arriving at the Temple. I am free...well, as soon as I get off this roof, but that should not be too difficult so long as I am careful. I doubt it would be worse than climbing the cliffs of my homeland, searching for bird eggs. She picked her way slowly across the tiled roof, creeping through the shadows cast by a myriad of chimney stacks, all the while praying for her son to remain asleep, as a crying babe would attract far too much attention to her. Tanara was so busy crossing the roof that she did not hear the sound of footsteps until they were almost upon her. She froze in the shadows of a large chimneystack, as silent as a deer stalked by a tiger, her ears straining to hear who was on the roof with her. She heard two sets of footsteps pad quietly by, and was thankful that they had not heard her. One of them slipped suddenly on the tiled roof, and she heard the other figure hiss sharply at him. 'Be careful you fool or you'll set the whole damn guard after us!'

Thieves then...hopefully they will to careful avoiding the guard to notice me.

'Sorry Renal' she heard the smaller of the two figures mutter in apology. The other figure did not reply, and Tanara heaved a sigh of relief as they moved away, no doubt bent upon some further mischief. She continued to carefully pick her way across the sloping roof, fearful of the consequences of a fall. It took her nearly half an hour of careful manoeuvring to traverse a path down to the streets without killing herself, or her son. When she finally felt her feet touch down upon solid ground she heaved a sigh of relief, before realising that she was finally free of the Temple. I have done it! I have managed to escape safely! No longer will I have to breathe the heavy incense of the censers, or listen to lectures from old men about the glory of killing. All I have to do know is find my brother, and then all will be well at last...for the first time in years things are starting to go well for me. It is a mark of how desperate my life has been that finding myself alone in a strange city should seem a good thing. And with that thought, she strode off into the night determined to find a good meal and a warm bed. But I must keep a low profile, for the Temple has a great deal of power within the city, and will not think twice about using it to search for me and the child I carry.

As she walked through the city she was careful to keep to small alleyways and avoid main streets, fearful of discovery, doing her best to not gawk at the sights and smells of the city. I've been in this city for nearly a year now, and this is the first time I've ever had a chance to explore it. It is so very different to how I imagined it would be...more crowded than I would have ever thought, yet everyone seems so alone and so busy...it is almost midnight, judging by the moon and look at how they rush past one another...you would never see such rudeness in the Clan, nor people about so late at night. But such anonymity will serve me well, for one more hooded figure will not attract undue attention. In order to keep hidden, Tanara kept to the back streets and a short while later she was walking down a smelly alley in one of the poorer parts of town. As she hurried along she saw two shadowy figures melt out of the shadows in front of her. They were wearing dark clothes, and smelt strongly of sweat, filth and ale, with large knives belted at their waists.

"'ello, what do we have .ear then lads?" the largest man asked.

"I dunno boss" replied a scrawny fellow

"We could arsk 'er boss" another interjected.

'Naaah...don't wanna waste our time wiv all that nonsense. I'm sure a pretty little piece like 'er will give us a fair bitta fun tonight, and a pretty penny or two from the slavers tamorrow.'

Tanara felt fear bite deep into her heart as she understood the meaning of the ruffians words, behind their thick accents. 'No, please, please I beg you...don't hurt me...look I have some money, you can have that, but please don't hurt me' she pleaded with them.

Her pleas had no effect however, and the smaller one merely said, 'Some money as well, eh boss? Not too bad for a night's work innit?'

Tanara backed away from the two men, for she realised that her chances of escape were slim. She was tired and worn out and would have no chance of outrunning two healthy men, especially not carrying a babe. 'But my son...'

'Hurh, ye won't 'ave to worry about 'im no longer once we've 'ad our way wiv you...the rats round 'ere 'ave a bloody ravening appetite, and a little babe should be a right fine meal for 'em' the taller of the two said.

'No! No! I won't let you hurt him!' she screamed at them, as they closed on her, their eye's full of lust. 'No! No! I haven't done all I've done to let two pigs like you hurt him! Get away from me!' And with that, she turned and ran like a frightened hare, knowing that her flight was futile, but refusing to give in without a fight of some sort. She could hear them running after her, their loud footsteps echoing in the narrow alley, as her breath came faster and faster. She could see a large, better-lit road ahead, and the sight gave her heart to run on, in the hope that there would be people there who would help her. Tanara burst into the main road, and ran headlong into a group of armoured warriors. An involuntary scream left her mouth, as the tallest grabbed he arm and spoke to her in a deep voice.

'My lady, what is the matter...' he broke off suddenly as the two thugs caught up with her. At the sight of the warriors they glanced at each other, before turning tail and running back the way they came. Two of the warriors started to move off after the thugs, but the tallest spoke again 'No. Do not waste your time chasing ones such as those. They know those back alleys too well for you to have a chance of catching them.'

The ones who had started after the thugs stopped at these words and muttered apologies to the taller man. 'Sorry, Sir Andrus'

'Just remember to think before you act in the future, Keldorn and Wessalen.' He turned to face her, having finished reprimanding the two younger men 'Young lady, the back streets are not safe to wander alone at the best of times, and the middle of the night is most definitely not the best time. Who are you that you are out at this time? A young mother should be safe at home."

For a second, Tanara contemplated telling the tall, wellspoken warriors the truth, but that only lasted a second. They look like...what's the word... paladins, and if the priests at the temple were speaking the truth, they have nothing but hatred from Bhaal and his followers. If they discover that I carry his child, they will not hesitate to kill me, believing me an evil witch, and I am not going to let that happen. 'I am well, Sir, I was just walking home after...umm...visiting a friend's home. I thought the back streets would be quicker, but I will stick to the main streets from now onwards. Thank you for helping me, but I must make my way home.' She disentangled herself from the paladin and started to walk away, when one of the younger ones called after her.

'My lady, would you not like us to accompany you home. Even the main roads may be dangerous, and I wonder at your family for letting you wander them unaccompanied. Your accent has the mark of one from the far north, so perhaps they do not know the danger that a city at night can present'

'No, no thank you...my home...is, is not far, and I do not wish to waste any more of your time'. She hurried away; leaving the somewhat bemused paladins in her wake. By the Roaring Boar...that was close. First the thieves on the roof, then the thugs in alley, and then paladins. I must find an inn immediately...but I will be certain to stick to the main streets from now on. Her son had been awakened by her mad rush from the thugs, and was whimpering quietly at her breast. You must be hungry little one, but I have no food to give you...wait a little while longer until we reach an inn, and then I will feed you.

It did not take Tanara long to reach what looked like an inn, though a dirtier and more disreputable one she had never seen. Even though it was long past midnight, sounds of drunken revelry came from inside. The windows of the place were as dirty as the rest, but shone with a welcoming amber glow, through which Tanara could just make out the name of the inn. The Copper Coronet. What an unusual name for such a rundown inn...it looks like the copper is the accurate part of the name, for I doubt any coronets will be found within.

She took a deep breath, and pushed the filthy wooden door open. A blast of warm air, thick with the smells of drink and unwashed human bodies washed over her. As she walked in, she could see that the main room of the inn was large, with a central fireplace and many small tables surrounding it. Despite the late hour, there were a large number of patrons, most deep in their cups. Tanara could see a mix of people from every layer of society, from paupers in dirty rags to nobles slumming it for a night. She made her way nervously across the room to what looked like the bar, all the while mindful of the measuring gazes given her by the sober ones, and the lecherous leers of the drunken ones. The barkeep was a large, fat man, who smelt strongly of ale and unwashed bodies, and there was a smaller man asleep next to him, his head in a pool of spilled ale.

'Whadda yer want?' said the barkeep in a belligerent voice.

'A room for the night, and some food for myself and my son' she relied, in a voice full of weariness.

'Typical. Yer turn up 'ere gorne midnight, and 'spect us to 'ave food ready an' waiting for yer. Whadda yer think this is, a bleeding palace?'

Somewhat taken aback by this outburst, Tanara replied in a haughty voice, drawing herself up. "No, strangely enough I do not think of this place as a palace," she said as she cast a long look around the filthy room and its insalubrious looking patrons. "I merely thought it an inn, where I could get food and a room. If however that would prove too much for you, I am sure there are other inns in the city.' She did not bother to mask the irritation in her voice.

'No need to be so rude, lady,' the barkeep said in a wounded voice.

'Well then provide with what I need, and I won't have to be so rude!'

'I 'spose we can, if yer insist.' Her harsh glare gave him the answer he sought, and he kicked the sleeping man next to him awake 'Oy you pillock, wake up. Go an' rustle up some grub for 'er ladyship 'ere, before she gets 'er knickers in a twist over it.'

The cook gave him a long suffering glance and muttered sullenly as he went about gathering up a meal for her. Tanara was no cook, but even she could have done better than the burnt looking food that was being gathered for her. Still I suppose I have no choice, for I am too tired to find somewhere else tonight.

After handing over several small coins to the surly barkeep, Tanara sat down to eat the food she had been given. The stew was as foul tasting as she had feared, but as it was the first meal she had eaten since last night, she wolfed it down, sharing some with her son. After that she was lead up to a smelly room, which she had rented for an extortionately large amount of money considering the condition it was in. I wouldn't keep pigs in a place as filthy as this. How can city-dwellers live in such noisome conditions? Oh how I long to return to the open plains, where the air is fresh and sweet...still at least this is some improvement over the Temple, despite the bugs and smell. But a bed is all I need now. She did not even bother to remove her clothes before falling into a deep, and thankfully dreamless, slumber.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com