Photo

Gamejag Merge Update

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Leo

Posted 13 May 2003 - 06:31 PM

Greetings!

To the Attic dwellers, let's welcome our brethren from the Flat Dereth Society! To the FDS members, be welcome! :)

Today, our message boards have (almost) merged. Of course, there is much to do yet before we move over to the PostNuke-powered portal. If you have any problems, concerns, or find something not working, or screwed up, please let either me or Q know. Preferrably, both. :wink:

Leo

#2 Weyoun

Posted 13 May 2003 - 08:04 PM

Greetings!

To the Attic dwellers, let's welcome our brethren from the Flat Dereth Society! To the FDS members, be welcome! ;)

Today, our message boards have (almost) merged. Of course, there is much to do yet before we move over to the PostNuke-powered portal. If you have any problems, concerns, or find something not working, or screwed up, please let either me or Q know. Preferrably, both. :)

Leo

Well, not really a problem, I just wonder what you're planning. :) What exactly is a PostNuke-powered portal. Is it a new board-software? We've just changed to a good one, after all...

Perhaps it would be nice if you'd be a bit clearer what goal you're working towards.

---Weyoun
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#3 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 13 May 2003 - 08:24 PM

yep, something screwy is happening with the board time. I added a post to a thread and it was not added in the end, but somewhere in the middle - the last post in that thread was posted at 10:27. I added mine at what should have been at 10:37 and the posted should be at the end of the list - but it was added in the middle with the time 9:37 attached.

Is this my fault or is this yet another little inconvenience until you guys set it all straight?

edit: see what I mean - my post was not added after Leo's post as I expected... weird.

#4 Leo

Posted 13 May 2003 - 09:07 PM

Well, not really a problem, I just wonder what you're planning. ;) What exactly is a PostNuke-powered portal. Is it a new board-software? We've just changed to a good one, after all...

Perhaps it would be nice if you'd be a bit clearer what goal you're working towards.

Fair request. I suppose I should explain a few things.

What is the Attic right now? A message board, powered by the software called phpBB. What is PostNuke? It is a portal software, which includes a wrapper around phpBB code, so that a phpBB-based message board can be made a part of the portal.

You might have noticed that all the Gamejag message boards are merging into one. Each of those message boards was using different software. As you see, they're all switching to phpBB and joining us. That's because phpBB is what PostNuke is using. I'll only have to update the PostNuke version of phpBB with our custom mods (such as the forum hierarchy, threaded style view, etc.), and then we'll be integrated into the portal.

So, not much is going to change for the Attic users. The look and feel will pretty much be the same, except the theme will likely change at some point. There will also be a left-side pane, and maybe a right-side pane with links to many other modules.

For the portal contains more modules than a message board alone. It is much richer. For example, the online novels will become part of a module that allows the authors to update them on their own. That's an example related directly to the Attic. The other uses, coming from a different background, also have a lot of fascinating possibilities planned for them.

In other words, it's gonna be good for everyone. Trust me on this. :)

Leo

#5 Q

Posted 13 May 2003 - 09:43 PM

something weird here in this very thread : When I click on Theodur's post, I get Leo's message and when I click on Leo's post, I get theodur's message.

---Weyoun

Edit : And when this was posted, I posted it on Theodur's post and now It's under your post, Leo. :) Amusing bug. :)

Sigh... Headed out for more aspirin and I will take a look. ;)

Edit: This has to do with the thread mod, gonna need Leo's help here.

#6 Weyoun

Posted 13 May 2003 - 09:55 PM

something weird here in this very thread : When I click on Theodur's post, I get Leo's message and when I click on Leo's post, I get theodur's message.

---Weyoun

Edit : And when this was posted, I posted it on Theodur's post and now It's under your post, Leo. ;) Amusing bug. :)

---

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#7 Guest_Bjorn_*

Posted 13 May 2003 - 10:25 PM

yep, something screwy is happening with the board time. I added a post to a thread and it was not added in the end, but somewhere in the middle - the last post in that thread was posted at 10:27. I added mine at what should have been at 10:37 and the posted should be at the end of the list - but it was added in the middle with the time 9:37 attached.

I noticed that too. And the bit on the forum index page that says whether there have been new posts since your last visit has been acting weird as well - saying that things are new when I've visited the site three times since they were posted.

#8 Kellin

Posted 13 May 2003 - 10:26 PM

Hmmm... any way we can consider this creative license on the part of the board applications? :)

Kellin
Kellin
“A warrior takes responsibility for his acts, for the most trivial of acts. An average man acts out his thoughts, and never takes responsibility for what he does.” ~ Carlos Castaneda
Monarch of the KMA of Auberean
"Got Quest?"

#9 Weyoun

Posted 13 May 2003 - 10:47 PM

---Weyoun

Edit : And when this was posted, I posted it on Theodur's post and now It's under your post, Leo. :D Amusing bug. :)

Sigh... Headed out for more aspirin and I will take a look. :)

Edit: This has to do with the thread mod, gonna need Leo's help here.

There's definitely some spill-over of this problem in the rest of the Attic now, particularly in the newest replies to stories.

---Weyoun

---

---

#10 Guest_Winter_Bloom_*

Posted 13 May 2003 - 11:03 PM

[quote name="Weyoun"][quote name="Q"][quote]something weird here in this very thread : When I click on Theodur's post, I get Leo's message and when I click on Leo's post, I get theodur's message.
[/quote]

I notice the same thing. Actually, the names in the threads don't match the actual posts. I have no idea where mine will end up nor what name I will have.

[quote]
[quote]
Edit: This has to do with the thread mod, gonna need Leo's help here.[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
There's definitely some spill-over of this problem in the rest of the Attic now, particularly in the newest replies to stories.
[/quote]

[quote]
---Weyoun[/quote]

*nods* I was looking at a post by Q, and I got Weyoun's reply to Theodur's post. This is odd, to say the least. :)

#11 Q

Posted 14 May 2003 - 04:08 AM

That's been identified, and a fix is in the works. Sorry for the confusion.

#12 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 14 May 2003 - 03:36 PM

Another small problem, not that it should be your prime concern, but just so you know - none of the old quizzes in the Attic Archives (up to quiz 91) are accessible.

The links are all dead and copy/pasting the exact URL for the story from the AtticDatabase Excel spreadsheet doesn't work either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com