Episode 7: Long and Angry Memory.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Dashael_*

Posted 25 October 2002 - 04:15 PM

Lieutenant Inspector Danian Aegisfield marched rather irritably down the echoing halls of the Council of Six Chambers. Being summoned away from the barracks was one thing, but being called off an active investigation was frustrating, especially with what was happening to those poor bastards in the Bridge District.

Entering the presence of Magistrate Bylanna Lannulin was always somewhat awe inspiring, even though he'd seen her every other day for the last ten years or so. She sat in the audience hall, mediating a property concern between a halfling farmer and a human noble.

"I'm telling you Magistrate, you must make the halfling sell me his castle. I won't have a halfling farmer owning a castle when the manor on my land only has two dozen rooms." The human insisted.
"Are ye deaf, ye blasted too-tall? It's not a castle it's a ruddy farmhouse, one of the half-baked dim-witted bureaucrats misclassified it and no-one wants to admit the mistake."
"Gentleman please," Bylanna interjected, "This is getting out of hand. I shall have your land reassessed Mr Jamtoes, but you are forbidden to build a castle without the proper permits." she turned to the human noble, "I assume that will suffice, now both of you I have many more people waiting to see me."

As both men walked out of the hall, shooting harsh glances at each other, Aegisfield humbly stepped forward.

"Aegisfield, at ease and come forward, we have much to discuss."
"Yes Mistress." Aegisfield responded formally. He'd seen courts martial start this amiably, though he knew he'd done nothing to warrant one.
"Calm down Danian, you can call me Bylanna, this is an informal meeting."
"I am at your disposal Magistrate."
"Good, Brega tells me you aren't having much luck with that nasty business in the Bridge District."
"No ma'am," Aegisfield sighed audibly, he'd hoped his immediate superior hadn't reported his lack of success yet.
"Don't worry Danian, I didn't bring you hear to reproach your performance, I may have a lead for you."
"I'd be honored to follow any leads you have," he swallowed nervously, "...Bylanna."
"You may have heard of a rogue named Bandon..." she paused.
"According to my records he's a small time smuggler, we've arrested him a number of times, but the wheels of justice grind slowly as you know."
"Brega tells me his sources have Bandon looking to make a new reputation for himself around town."
"Really Magistrate? In the past his operations had been reasonably limited, perhaps he's looking to expand, or take some new territory."
"Well Bandon's strange behaviour is worth keeping an eye on, though it may, or may, not be relevant to what I have to tell you."
"I'm listening."
"My own sources tell me that an old acquaintance maybe in town. Talon."
"The bastard has returned! I'll kill him!"
"You'll do no such thing, even if you could prove he killed your daughter. I have no objection to you pursuing him, but you will gather evidence first, and apprehend him alive."
Aegisfield took a moment to get a hold of himself, he had been obsessed with pursuing Talon since he saw the rogue fleeing the alley where his daughter was found slaughtered like cattle.
"It shall be as you command Magistrate Lanulin. I shall apprehend him by the book..."
"Excellent Danian, keep me posted on your progress, the Councilors are naturally concerned with what an assassin of talon's calibre might be doing in Athkatla."
"...I just hope he resists arrest." Danian Aegisfield muttered to himself as he left the hall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com