Photo

Sorcery for Beginners 30

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 username

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:44 PM

Chapter 30: Ender Sai 

“It's always nice to be able to put a face to a mysterious foe. It's less nice when this face is not a face but one of the most powerful organisations in the North. But I suppose I had to ask, didn't I?”
Excerpt from
Sorcery for Beginners.

They stepped into the tent and immediately the smell of blood went up Rachel's nose. It was a smell composed of both old and fresh blood, a rotten stench but strangely exhilarating as well. She felt her breath quicken and her senses sharpen instinctively, reacting to danger yet unseen but keenly felt. It was easy to see where the smell was coming from – at the back of the tent was a large cage in which lay a bundle of human flesh and dirty clothes, sprayed out unnaturally. On second glance Rachel could guess that this bundle must have once been a man. At this point, however, it was impossible to tell whether or not he was still alive; it may be better if he wasn't, she felt a small part of herself whisper. In between them and him there were various tables and chairs, filled with papers, books and empty plates. Most of the furniture stood around chaotically, evidence of a meeting that had taken place over more hours than anyone could concede to sitting in the same spot. Four of the chairs were occupied still, however, by a group of four well armed bandits who, as soon as the adventurers walked into the tent, jumped up and grabbed their weapons. It was two fighters, one of whom was wielding a red-glowing longsword and large shield, while the other gave them a suspicious look over the top of a crossbow. Rachel spotted a priest too, drawing his mace and one hand already raised in incantation. The last man had to be a mage, wearing red robes like Edwin, however not quite the same shade, and carrying a number of spell components on his belt.

“You're not supposed to be in here”, the sword fighter bellowed. His pale face was twisted in anger, strands of black hair falling in to his eyes. The sides of his head were recently shaved and showed various tattoos Rachel was sure showed allegiance to some gang or other.

“We have Tazok's permission to be in here”, Imoen said as confidently as she could.

“Bullshit”, the crossbowman said, raising his weapon, “we met with him not half an hour ago. You are spies.”

“No, we're-”

“Kill them”, the swordsman said with an icy calm in his voice that made Rachel's neck hairs stand up.

Then, without warning, he jumped towards them, his sword aimed at Jaheira's neck. The druid managed to pull out her spear in time to block the attack, but was thrown back from the sheer force of her attacker. The crossbowman likewise fired a shot, which Imoen only narrowly managed to dodge. Furious, Rachel raised her hands and, using a large blast of magical force, ripped him from his feet and threw him into the cage. He remained on the floor, very quiet, and his neck twisted at an odd angle. The sudden exertion, however, made the sorceress cough violently, splurging blood on both her hands and robe, and she slowly sank to the floor.

Meanwhile Edwin and the other mage had both raised magical shields and started throwing minor level spells at each other – most likely in an attempt to test out the other's powers before going for more high-level magic. Edwin's face was an expressionless mask of concentration except for a small twitch on the side of his mouth as he blocked out everything going on around him to purely focus on the battle of wits and power he was caught up in. That still left the enemy priest, however, who had conjured a range of skulls surrounded him in a whirling circular motion, before moving against Khalid. The half-elf drew his sword with a grim expression, knowing full well that he could only hit the priest by being hit with the skulls himself. Imoen noticed her friend's prediction and drew her bow to fire a shot at the priest. While her arrow was deflected by one of the skulls surrounding him, that incapacitated the skull as well, leaving it to fall on the floor.

Khalid saw the opening and tried to drive his sword through it but the whirling skulls were too fast and jumped on his blade, running up onto its hilt until exploding at Khalid's shoulder. The half-elf stumbled backwards with a cry of pain and the priest pressed forwards, mace raised. He probably would have been able to land a full-strength blow on Khalid's head if Rachel hadn't spotted the commotion even in her wounded state. Instinctively, she conjured a strong magical wind, throwing the priest a few feet backwards . Imoen shot another two arrows at him, one deflected by the skulls but one of them finding its target on his right arm, in between two places of his armour. He howled in pain, but remained standing – yet.

Jaheira meanwhile had been forced to take a few hits herself. The swordsman she was fighting was not only stronger but also faster than her; ceaselessly mauling her with his sword, she was only barely able to hold him off. His attacks had left several deep wounds on her hands and arms, causing thick blood to run down armour, and the blood loss made it harder and harder for her to hold up her spear. She needed a plan, and fast, before she was done for. The rest of her allies were preoccupied – they wouldn't be able to help her. Someone else, she suddenly remembered, however, might do. She took a sharp breath, then made a quick sally sidewards just as her foe pressed forwards once again. His temporary disorientation gave her the few seconds she needed; she raised her right hand to the sky and called out a quick incantation to her chosen god, Sylvanus. Her hand was suddenly surrounded by warm, comforting light and as she drew it down again, instead of her spear she was holding a green glowing club, over and over covered in ranks and thorns. Despite its sturdiness, it was also light was a feather, allowing her to swing it much easier and faster than her spear. Her face twisted to a grim smile as she used it to parry another hit by her opponent and saw ranks growing from her own weapon over to his sword as well as his hands and arms, slowing down his motions. Confused and angry he instinctively shook his weapon, to try and deter the growth of the roots. With a silent word of thanks to her god, she used the opening to kick the swordsman backwards, then – with all the strength she still had left – hit him in the chest with her club. He fell to his back with a load groan but managed to reach out with his empty hand and pulled Jaheira with him to the ground. Just as she was expecting to be pierced by his weapon at any moment, the thorns on her club suddenly grew to double their length and hooked themselves into her foe's armour and skin. She let go of the weapon and as quick as he could jumped to her feet again, but with a look to her foe realised that she needn't have bothered. His face had turned very pale and cold sweat was running down his cheeks and neck. The thorns were poisoned, she understood, stepping away. She mouthed a silent prayer to her god, one involving a perhaps inappropriate mount of curse words, but one which was nonetheless sincere.

Unable to enjoy her success or to help her allies, however, her adrenalin levels suddenly dropped, and once more she felt the pain from her arms and hands. She looked down on herself and saw that she was drenched on blood, think and red running down from her arms onto her legs and torso. She needed to heal herself without further delay or the sheer blood loss would render her completely helpless. She sank down next to her fallen foe and called to Sylvanus once more. She did not look up to see how her friends were fairing. So completely unable to help them, she did not dare to.

Rachel, Imoen and Khalid had come up with a vague idea of a strategy on how to deal with the priest. It consisted of Rachel either holding him in place or conjuring winds to push him back once he escaped her magical grasp, so Imoen could plaster him with arrows. Due to the skulls still surrounding the priest, Khalid's part in this plan was to not let himself or his sword be anywhere near that man. Thus, he had decided to instead assist Edwin, who was still full immersed in the magical duel with the other spellcaster. Neither of the two mages had managed to find an opening in the other's shields yet, but the duel required enough of their concentration that they hand't been able to participate in any of the other fights. Khalid had born witness to a number of magical duels in the past, and he remembered a useful trick his former mentor with the Harpers had once shown him. In magical duels the mages' minds are usually fully focussed on conjuring and holding up their shields simultaneously. Thus, they often completely blocked out their surroundings to the point where they needed bodyguards to keep fighters away from them. However, there were no fighters surrounding his opponent at this very minute. Khalid would have liked to use that opportunity to simply drive his sword deeply into the mage's back but he was still protected by several magical shields, one of them a flame shield preventing him from getting close to him. However, there were other things he could use to divert the mage's attention...

Edwin could feel cold sweat on his brows from both the magical exertion and the pressure of the duel. Part of him, however, felt undeniably exhilarated; it had been far too long since he had faced such a technical challenge. Sure, they were fighting dangerous enemies every day now but he hadn't been in a full-on magical duel since his academy days in Thay – and those had always been supervised. This was real, one mistake, one lapse of concentration and he would be dead; or worse, humiliated. He was terrified, his nerves wracked and his hands were shaking. He had also not felt this alive in a long time. He had several shields up, most of whom were to protect him against magical damage, but one also against physical, just in case one of the bandits would sneak up on him. His opponent had copied his strategy and now focussed on draining spells, trying to suck magical energy from Edwin's shields and back up his own. Edwin, on the other hand, had tried to interrupt the other mage's spell with minor-level fast castings which kept messing up his opponents hand gestures upon hitting his shields, costing him more and more of the spells he had memorised. Soon enough Edwin would be the only one with powerful magic, magic that would allow him to destroy his opponent's shields in mere seconds. He allowed himself a brief grin – he loved winning, especially when it was well deserved.

Then, suddenly, his opponent dropped to the ground like a felled tree, almost as if a light inside his head had been turned off. Edwin blinked several times, unsure whether he had been hit with an illusion spell. A few feet behind his fallen enemy stood Khalid, hands still raised from throwing... the object. The object that had ended the best magical duel he had ever been in. The object that had decided over life and death.

Khalid had thrown a chair.

From the twisted angle of his opponent's head, it would seem as though the sheer force of the throw had broken his neck. Khalid gave Edwin a sheepish smile.

“Y-you're welcome?”

Edwin scoffed.

“You know, I was enjoying myself here. (I never get to have any fun.)”

“Y-you h-have odd t-t-taste in amusements”, Khalid remarked but before Edwin could retort something, they were distracted by a scream.

Rachel.

Ice water suddenly replaced any semblance of blood that had run through his veins just now. Where is she? His head darted around panicked until he finally saw her. She and the priest were almost on the other side of the tent; the man must have driven her further and further back. His armour was littered with arrows but still he was pressing on. A lone two skulls were floating around him, but Rachel appeared to have no magic left to stop him at all. Stumbling backwards, she kept raising her hand, but nothing came of it.

Quicker than perhaps ever before Edwin cast a flaming arrow, his hands shaking even more than during the magic duel. Just a few moments before he's reached her, if this doesn't stop him, she might...- No. No, don't think about that. You can't.
The flame arrow hit the priest straight in his right side, throwing him off his feet onto the ground. In his fall he himself squished the last two skulls, which caused a large part of his torso to burst open. Just to be safe, however, Khalid sprinted towards him and beheaded him with his longsword.

Rachel took a few deep breaths. You're save, she tried to assure herself, you've won. It's all fine now. Somehow, that never managed to convince her, however. Not fully. She saw Edwin approaching her, his steps light and somewhat unsure.

“Are you alright?”, he asked, “I mean, are you wounded? It wouldn't do to have you wounded, I mean, there might still be some foes around and we need your powers. I mean, not technically need, not that I couldn't kill them all myself with my supreme magic but-”

“I'm not... I think.”

“You're not what? You're not fine? Or not wounded? Well, which is it? (It's like these people learned the art of conversation in a barn.)”

“I'm fine, Edwin, relax. Thank you for the arrow and not, you know, letting me die. I, er, tend to appreciate that sort of thing.”

“Well, it wouldn't do to have you die.”

“That... is true.”

“...Yes.”

“Indeed.”

Rachel grinned, and Edwin gave her a half-ironic smile back, then, very awkwardly stretched out his hand to pat her on the shoulder or something equally uncomfortable to them both, when both of them suddenly tensed up. Rachel could hear a croaking sound, almost inaudibly but persistent enough to get her adrenalin running again immediately. She moved away from Edwin whose cheeks had turned a very interesting shade of red, and turned around. Jaheira, after healing her own wounds had apparently started investigating the prisoner in the cage. She seemed to have found him still to be alive since she'd started casting the remainder of her healing spells on him, which had revived him to a stage where he seemed unhappy to remain in. The longer Rachel listened to his croaking, the surer she was that it was all the screaming he could muster.

“I'm running out of spells”, Jaheira said, her teeth clenched. Rachel suddenly remembered her own newfound abilities and knelt down next to her. She raised her hands and concentrated, trying to feel that new knack at the back of her mind that allowed her to cast a minor healing spell herself. Her hands started to glow in a soft blue and some of the man's wounds closed, his skin growing a little less pale. Jaheira stared at her.

“How did you just do that?”, she asked her, suspicion layered into her voice.

Rachel just shrugged. To her relief, the prisoner kept the conversation from going further just now, as he opened his eyes.

“Water”, he said with rattled breath.

Imoen, Khalid and Edwin joined them, curious at the new development. Khalid fished some water out of his pack and fed the prisoner a little.

“Thank you”, the man said, “I am Ender Sai. Are you here to rescue me?”

“That depends on who you are”, Rachel said, “sneaking you out of here will not be easy.”

“I have information”, the man said, “I will give it to you... in exchange.”

“That is one of the most foolish ideas I've heard in a while”, Edwin said, “if we even set foot outside this tent with this man at our side, we will have to fight the entire camp. (Even I'm not megalomaniac enough to believe I could manage that.)”

“Not necessarily”, Rachel said, “I have an idea on how to do this. I want the information beforehand though.”

“How do I know you won't just leave me here afterwards?”, Ender Sai asked. His breath was still rattling but his eyes were sharp and awake.

“You don't. But it's giving you a chance, which is better than your current situation. So take it or leave it.”

He sighed.

“Very well. I am... I suppose you would call me a thief. I got involved with the wrong people, hence why I'm here.”

“Where have I heard that before? (Does no-one do their research these days on which organisations to get involved with?)”

“What do you mean? Isn't this just a bandit group?”, Imoen asked. Ender Sai shook his head.

“These aren't your ordinary bandits. They're part Black Talons and part Chill, Chill being a demihuman band, mostly hobgoblins, and led by that creepy smart one, Ardenor Crush."

He coughed.

“These bands don't usually work together, so they have to have someone giving them the orders, someone powerful. Crush and Taugosz Khosann, leader of the Black Talons, both think he's getting orders from the Zhents and Tazok doesn't do much to discourage that particular line of thinking. But the Black Talons and Chill are bandit groups, see? They ply the trade routes, avoid the cities, and that's where they go wrong. I'm from the Gate and I can tell you dead as leather that the Zhentarim aren't behind this."

“Then who is?”, Jaheira said, wringing her hands.

“The one group I did mess with back in Baldur's Gate, stealing bits of shipments and the like. I thought I was on the save side keeping out of the way of the Zhents but this turned out to be much worse. The force behind this is the Iron Throne.”

That name meant very little to Rachel but she saw Jaheira and Khalid both turn a little pale. Even Edwin seemed somewhat disconcerted.

“The Iron Throne? Are you sure?”, Jaheira asked. The prisoner nodded.

“Yeah. They were gonna send out a warrant after me when I started stealing a little much of their shipments and they got hold of my name somehow. I sneaked into their headquarters lookin' to retrieve it when I saw letters between Tazok and their second leader Sarevok. Ink on parchment, saw it with my own eyes. That's why I'm here. They wanna know if someone sent me to spy and once they found out I'm supposed to have as painful a death as possible.”

He shuddered. Imoen gave him a little more water. Meanwhile Edwin had started investigating some of the letters the bandits had left on the table. He informed the group that there had been some correspondences between Tazok and someone name Davaeorn.

“That's their contact in the Cloakwood mines”, Ender Sai said, “they're building up some kind of operation there but what it is I do not know.”

“Most likely something very similar to Nashkell”, Jaheira said, “we will have to go there next to disband it.”

“Can't we just go to Baldur's Gate?”, Rachel asked, “These are too many delays. I need to find out who killed my father before the evidence is destroyed and those responsible disappear.”

“But we have to little evidence to go to the Fist yet – they would not investigate the Cloakwood mines at the word of a thief and because we show them some suspicious letters we might as well have forged”, Jaheira said.

Rachel opened her mouth to argue back, but Imoen interrupted.

“Maybe we should talk about that when we're not in the middle of a really dangerous bandit camp, yeah? Let's try to get out of here alive and then we can still decide which suicidal strategy is best.”

Rachel and Jaheira both nodded reluctantly.

“You mentioned a plan to get me out of here”, Ender Sai said, glancing at Rachel with hopeful eyes.

She nodded then turned to the rest of the group.

“You just go out of here the way you came, raising as little suspicion as possible. I'll meet you on that clearing where we first encountered Teven.”

“What are you going to do?”, Imoen asked. Rachel tried to grin, but nerves and effort made it look more like she was bearing her teeth.

Ah well, I suppose I was never meant for being suave anyhow, she thought, then laid her hand through the cage bars on Ender Said's back.

Then they both disappeared. 

#2 Nimloth

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:54 PM

Quote:The sudden exertion, however, made the sorceress cough violently, splurging blood on both her hands and robe, and she slowly sank to the floor.

Noo, Rachel! :-(

Quote: Despite its sturdiness, it was also light was a feather, allowing her to swing it much easier and faster than her spear. Her face twisted to a grim smile as she used it to parry another hit by her opponent and saw ranks growing from her own weapon over to his sword as well as his hands and arms, slowing down his motions. Confused and angry he instinctively shook his weapon, to try and deter the growth of the roots.

Coooool! Can I have one of those too? Pretty please? *makes puppy eyes at Jaheira* 

Quote:This was real, one mistake, one lapse of concentration and he would be dead; or worse, humiliated

Being humiliated is worse than dying? Edwin, I adore you, but I think your priorities are a little bit messed up!

Quote: He allowed himself a brief grin – he loved winning, especially when it was well deserved.

And we love to see you win, my darling Red Wizard! :-D

Quote:Then, suddenly, his opponent dropped to the ground like a felled tree, almost as if a light inside his head had been turned off. Edwin blinked several times, unsure whether he had been hit with an illusion spell. A few feet behind his fallen enemy stood Khalid, hands still raised from throwing... the object. The object that had ended the best magical duel he had ever been in. The object that had decided over life and death.

Khalid is such a spoilsport sometimes XD

Quote: “Are you alright?”, he asked, “I mean, are you wounded? It wouldn't do to have you wounded, I mean, there might still be some foes around and we need your powers. I mean, not technically need, not that I couldn't kill them all myself with my supreme magic but-”

“I'm not... I think.”

“You're not what? You're not fine? Or not wounded? Well, which is it? (It's like these people learned the art of conversation in a barn.)”

“I'm fine, Edwin, relax. Thank you for the arrow and not, you know, letting me die. I, er, tend to appreciate that sort of thing.” “Well, it wouldn't do to have you die.”

“That... is true.”

“...Yes.”

“Indeed.”

Rachel grinned, and Edwin gave her a half-ironic smile back, then, very awkwardly stretched out his hand to pat her on the shoulder or something equally uncomfortable to them both, when both of them suddenly tensed up. Rachel could hear a croaking sound, almost inaudibly but persistent enough to get her adrenalin running again immediately. She moved away from Edwin whose cheeks had turned a very interesting shade of red, and turned around.

Awwww, he's so sweet! Rachel is a very lucky girl!

Quote:“Yeah. They were gonna send out a warrant after me when I started stealing a little much of their shipments and they got hold of my name somehow. I sneaked into their headquarters lookin' to retrieve it when I saw letters between Tazok and their second leader Sarevok.

Sarevok (glowers): Second leader? Me? Second? I'll have you know that I'm second to no-one!

Nice chapter, I really liked it! *smile*

#3 username

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:14 PM

Quote:The sudden exertion, however, made the sorceress cough violently, splurging blood on both her hands and robe, and she slowly sank to the floor.

Noo, Rachel! :sad:

Yeah, she still hasn't quite got the hang of properly moderating her powers. 

Quote: Despite its sturdiness, it was also light was a feather, allowing her to swing it much easier and faster than her spear. Her face twisted to a grim smile as she used it to parry another hit by her opponent and saw ranks growing from her own weapon over to his sword as well as his hands and arms, slowing down his motions. Confused and angry he instinctively shook his weapon, to try and deter the growth of the roots.

Coooool! Can I have one of those too? Pretty please? *makes puppy eyes at Jaheira* 

Jaheira: *squints* What exactly do aim to use it for? 

Quote:This was real, one mistake, one lapse of concentration and he would be dead; or worse, humiliated

Being humiliated is worse than dying? Edwin, I adore you, but I think your priorities are a little bit messed up!

Haha, he had his little Hermione Granger moment there

Quote: He allowed himself a brief grin – he loved winning, especially when it was well deserved.

And we love to see you win, my darling Red Wizard! :grin:

Edwin: Naturally - it is the only logical cause of events, after all. 

Quote:Then, suddenly, his opponent dropped to the ground like a felled tree, almost as if a light inside his head had been turned off. Edwin blinked several times, unsure whether he had been hit with an illusion spell. A few feet behind his fallen enemy stood Khalid, hands still raised from throwing... the object. The object that had ended the best magical duel he had ever been in. The object that had decided over life and death.

Khalid is such a spoilsport sometimes XD

He really is - saving his companions and all that! 

Quote: “Are you alright?”, he asked, “I mean, are you wounded? It wouldn't do to have you wounded, I mean, there might still be some foes around and we need your powers. I mean, not technically need, not that I couldn't kill them all myself with my supreme magic but-”

“I'm not... I think.”

“I'm fine, Edwin, relax. Thank you for the arrow and not, you know, letting me die. I, er, tend to appreciate that sort of thing.” “Well, it wouldn't do to have you die.”

“That... is true.”

“...Yes.”

“Indeed.”

Rachel grinned, and Edwin gave her a half-ironic smile back, then, very awkwardly stretched out his hand to pat her on the shoulder or something equally uncomfortable to them both, when both of them suddenly tensed up. Rachel could hear a croaking sound, almost inaudibly but persistent enough to get her adrenalin running again immediately. She moved away from Edwin whose cheeks had turned a very interesting shade of red, and turned around.

Awwww, he's so sweet! Rachel is a very lucky girl!

She is indeed. :) 

Quote:“Yeah. They were gonna send out a warrant after me when I started stealing a little much of their shipments and they got hold of my name somehow. I sneaked into their headquarters lookin' to retrieve it when I saw letters between Tazok and their second leader Sarevok.

Sarevok (glowers): Second leader? Me? Second? I'll have you know that I'm second to no-one!

Nice chapter, I really liked it! *smile*

Haha, don't worry Sarry, it's just slander from a petty thief, I'm sure! xD 

Aww, thanks, I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for the review :) 

#4 Laufey

Posted 26 September 2017 - 06:39 PM

Jaheira meanwhile had been forced to take a few hits herself. The swordsman she was fighting was not only stronger but also faster than her; ceaselessly mauling her with his sword, she was only barely able to hold him off. His attacks had left several deep wounds on her hands and arms, causing thick blood to run down armour, and the blood loss made it harder and harder for her to hold up her spear. She needed a plan, and fast, before she was done for. The rest of her allies were preoccupied – they wouldn't be able to help her. Someone else, she suddenly remembered, however, might do. She took a sharp breath, then made a quick sally sidewards just as her foe pressed forwards once again. His temporary disorientation gave her the few seconds she needed; she raised her right hand to the sky and called out a quick incantation to her chosen god, Sylvanus. Her hand was suddenly surrounded by warm, comforting light and as she drew it down again, instead of her spear she was holding a green glowing club, over and over covered in ranks and thorns. Despite its sturdiness, it was also light was a feather, allowing her to swing it much easier and faster than her spear. Her face twisted to a grim smile as she used it to parry another hit by her opponent and saw ranks growing from her own weapon over to his sword as well as his hands and arms, slowing down his motions. Confused and angry he instinctively shook his weapon, to try and deter the growth of the roots. With a silent word of thanks to her god, she used the opening to kick the swordsman backwards, then – with all the strength she still had left – hit him in the chest with her club. He fell to his back with a load groan but managed to reach out with his empty hand and pulled Jaheira with him to the ground. Just as she was expecting to be pierced by his weapon at any moment, the thorns on her club suddenly grew to double their length and hooked themselves into her foe's armour and skin. She let go of the weapon and as quick as he could jumped to her feet again, but with a look to her foe realised that she needn't have bothered. His face had turned very pale and cold sweat was running down his cheeks and neck. The thorns were poisoned, she understood, stepping away. She mouthed a silent prayer to her god, one involving a perhaps inappropriate mount of curse words, but one which was nonetheless sincere.

​I liked this battle scene, nicely stuffed with action. 

Unable to enjoy her success or to help her allies, however, her adrenalin levels suddenly dropped, and once more she felt the pain from her arms and hands. She looked down on herself and saw that she was drenched on blood, think and red running down from her arms onto her legs and torso. She needed to heal herself without further delay or the sheer blood loss would render her completely helpless. She sank down next to her fallen foe and called to Sylvanus once more. She did not look up to see how her friends were fairing. So completely unable to help them, she did not dare to.

​And that's very believable, adrenaline is a funny substance. 

Edwin could feel cold sweat on his brows from both the magical exertion and the pressure of the duel. Part of him, however, felt undeniably exhilarated; it had been far too long since he had faced such a technical challenge. Sure, they were fighting dangerous enemies every day now but he hadn't been in a full-on magical duel since his academy days in Thay – and those had always been supervised. This was real, one mistake, one lapse of concentration and he would be dead; or worse, humiliated. He was terrified, his nerves wracked and his hands were shaking. He had also not felt this alive in a long time. He had several shields up, most of whom were to protect him against magical damage, but one also against physical, just in case one of the bandits would sneak up on him. His opponent had copied his strategy and now focussed on draining spells, trying to suck magical energy from Edwin's shields and back up his own. Edwin, on the other hand, had tried to interrupt the other mage's spell with minor-level fast castings which kept messing up his opponents hand gestures upon hitting his shields, costing him more and more of the spells he had memorised. Soon enough Edwin would be the only one with powerful magic, magic that would allow him to destroy his opponent's shields in mere seconds. He allowed himself a brief grin – he loved winning, especially when it was well deserved.

​Ha ha, that is so Edwin! Humiliation worse than death, indeed. 

Then, suddenly, his opponent dropped to the ground like a felled tree, almost as if a light inside his head had been turned off. Edwin blinked several times, unsure whether he had been hit with an illusion spell. A few feet behind his fallen enemy stood Khalid, hands still raised from throwing... the object. The object that had ended the best magical duel he had ever been in. The object that had decided over life and death.

​*pats Edwin* There, there. 

Rachel took a few deep breaths. You're save, she tried to assure herself, you've won. It's all fine now. Somehow, that never managed to convince her, however. Not fully. She saw Edwin approaching her, his steps light and somewhat unsure.

“Are you alright?”, he asked, “I mean, are you wounded? It wouldn't do to have you wounded, I mean, there might still be some foes around and we need your powers. I mean, not technically need, not that I couldn't kill them all myself with my supreme magic but-”

“I'm not... I think.”

​*pats Edwin some more* 

“How do I know you won't just leave me here afterwards?”, Ender Sai asked. His breath was still rattling but his eyes were sharp and awake.

​The thing is, you're the one in the cage. I'd take my chances. 

“Maybe we should talk about that when we're not in the middle of a really dangerous bandit camp, yeah? Let's try to get out of here alive and then we can still decide which suicidal strategy is best.”

​Very sensible plan. 

Ah well, I suppose I was never meant for being suave anyhow, she thought, then laid her hand through the cage bars on Ender Said's back.

Ooops? Was that intentional or an accident?

Rogues do it from behind.

#5 username

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:25 PM

​I liked this battle scene, nicely stuffed with action. 

Aw, thanks, that's nice to hear- I generally find battle scenes the hardest to write! :D  

​And that's very believable, adrenaline is a funny substance. 

It is indeed. 

​Ha ha, that is so Edwin! Humiliation worse than death, indeed. 

You got to love his priorities! :D Growing up rich and protected may not have quite prepared him for every... seriousness of life! xD

​*pats Edwin* There, there. 

Edwin: This is a serious outrage; do not dare to downplay the injustice that has taken place here! (One day, Khalid... one day)

“I'm not... I think.”

​*pats Edwin some more* 

Haha, he is quite stressed out this chapter, isn't he? But then again, when is Edwin ever truly calm and collected? 

​The thing is, you're the one in the cage. I'd take my chances. 

Very true, he is being quite cheeky here! :D

​Very sensible plan. 

Imoen, as usual, being the voice of reason here 

Ooops? Was that intentional or an accident?

Haha, intentional - just a terrible idea! xD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com