Second Impressions: I Told You So

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:31 AM

Well, I thought I’d write something on topic, but it kind of ended not being entirely on, since we’re actually dealing with second impressions here. But I figure it sort of works for the quiz.

AU-ish. What we’re looking here is probably early in Bg-2 SoA part and Theo and Jaheira looking to recruit another healer and it’s well, harder than you’d think.

I also thought I’d try something new with this piece. It’s entirely dialogue and without clear identification of the speaker. I figure it should be pretty obvious though, if it’s not, well, the fail lies entirely with me. Let me know how this works for you.

And yes, this is very, very silly piece. I had a fun. St.Patrick’s Day. :lol:

~*~

Second Impressions: I Told You So

“I still do not understand why you insist on having another healer travel with the group. I am perfectly capable-”

“Well sure, but remember that time when you were knocked out for a few hours when one of Jan’s contraptions exploded into your face? What if we had been attacked by some giant flesh-eating spider-monkey tribe just then?”

“I suppose you do have a point. As for the gnome, I believe placing him naked and tied up on top of an anthill was a suitable punishment.”

“I’m still disturbed by the willingness and joy that he embraced it with, though…”

“That aside, I believe we were discussing a healer? Where do you think we should look for one?”

“We’ve ran across a few recently, haven’t we? Sure, some of them came across as somewhat… odd, but we weren’t really seriously considering anyone else at the time. But they seemed like reasonable sort, right?”

“I will not comment on your ‘judge of character’ abilities, not after you suggested that Korgan was a ‘misunderstood orphan and a result of childhood tragedy’ and Yoshimo was ‘probably down there just for a little stroll in the sewers’.”

“Yes, yes, everyone can make an honest mistake, sheesh. But anyways, we’re close to the Coronet, shall we speak with that young Helmite? He seemed pleasant enough…”

~*~

“Have I ever told you of my campaigns against the Hillgnasher giants?”

“…no, but something tells me you’re about to.”

“It was a glorious victory for the Order, that day of righteous last battle. I alone scored no less than twenty kills of the vile beasts.”

“Incredible. Now, about the war that almost broke out between Amn and Baldur’s Gate… you know, we had some role in preventing that-”

“Sir Ryan Trawl himself praised my actions on the battlefield. Truly, he said, on that day no other squire had shown stronger mettle and greater promise to become one of the greats of the Order.”

“…why does no one ever want to listen to MY stories? I’m a bloody Bhaalspawn and my adventures are breathtakingly interesting by default!”

“Verily, I believe I have proven myself to the Order with abundance, and though the day of my Trial approaches, I shall meet it with courage only, all doubt cast aside. For it was during the campaign against the Hillgnasher giants, that-”

“Stop it… stop it right there. This really isn’t working out. Yeah, and about the Hillgnasher giants campaign… I think I’m going to buy a book and read all about it in there. Goodbye.”

~*~

“Stop laughing. And stop giving me the I-told-you-so looks.”

“I would never do such. Still, do you have any other options left to consider?”

“Well, how about that girl at the Circus?”

“Didn’t she strike you as a bit… ditzy?”

“Nonsense! Well… perhaps a little, but… I mean, how bad could it be?”

~*~

“Have you… have you ever heard of my people? The Avariel?”

“You’re going to tell me, aren’t you?”

“My people live high in the mountains to the far south, in a place called Faenya-Dail, separated from contact with others. It is a grand and majestic place. My memory is dim, but whenever the thought of it crosses my mind, my eyes still blur with tears. I… I guess you must think my longing silly, foolish even.”

“Was that a serious question, or did you just expect me to possess enough manners not to answer that honestly?”

“Haha, you silly man! I don’t understand half of the jokes you make!”

“…I was making jokes?”

“I… I have been looking at the scars… on my back. The stumps that were… that were once my wings. They do not… they do not make me truly homely, do they?”

(sounds of footsteps and frantic running)

“Where… where did everyone go?”

~*~

“Why does everyone insist on pouring their hearts out to me of all people? There’s nothing about me that would even remotely imply any sort of interest or capacity of sympathizing with their horrible plight. I’m a cynical bastard, for crying out loud!”

“That reminds me, have I ever told you about the time when Gorion, Khalid and I last visited Athkatla?”

“…I hate you *so* much.”

“Be honest, I tried to warn you. But still, if you are seriously contemplating about that other unnecessary healer, perhaps we should reconsider Viconia.”

“But you called her ‘whoring bitch’ and punched her five minutes after our first meeting with her!”

“I do not call anyone a ‘whoring bitch’, as you know I am far too ladylike for that.”

“…yes, obviously. But why not, let’s pay her a visit.”

~*~

“Ahh, crawled back, did you? Didn’t think you could endure parting from Viconia for too long, and I see I’ve been proven right. What’ll it be abbil, do you desire my company again?”

“Well, you’re certainly ‘very’ friendly.”

“He does not desire you or your company.”

“Still letting that mongrel dictate everything you’re allowed to do, I see? Such a pity you do not possess anything resembling a spine.”

“Nah, just ignore Jaheira, she’s generally grumpy, but she likes you really. I certainly do! This will work out just fine.”

“…I am warning you…”

“Or what? You’re going to buy him a leash? Or use the old one from your sniveling late husband?”

*whoosh*

*THUD!*

“You whoring bitch!”

“Hey! What’s the big idea knocking Viconia out! I liked her, she was nice to me!”

~*~

“Oh well, I believe we have exhausted our options.”

“Was there not someone… else that we met… in Trademeet, perhaps?”

“Yes, now that you mention it… there was someone… can’t really place the face again… what’s his name… bah.”

“Is it not odd? I remember talking to someone… it might have even been a druid, perhaps… I am sure we helped him… or her, with something, no? But I cannot recall neither their face, or voice, or anything about them.”

“Yeah, same here. They must have had a particularly uninspiring personality.”

“It would appear so. Still, there are some lessons to take from all of this.”

“Like what?”

“First, Theo, you are a horrible judge of character. Second, my first impressions of a person are always right. Third, you cannot leave a second impression, if you do not have the personality to leave any kind of first impression at all.”

“True that.”

#2 Guest_Reality-Helix_*

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:26 AM

*Snerk* That's awesome. I have no sympathy for Theo whatsoever.

#3 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:29 AM

*Snerk* That's awesome. I have no sympathy for Theo whatsoever.

Nobody ever does. :lol:

#4 Guest_Clight_*

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:00 PM

This sounds kind of like "what would the NPCs have been like if they had appeared in BG1 instead of BG2?" :)

“It was a glorious victory for the Order, that day of righteous last battle. I alone scored no less than twenty kills of the vile beasts.”

“Incredible. Now, about the war that almost broke out between Amn and Baldur’s Gate… you know, we had some role in preventing that-”

“Sir Ryan Trawl himself praised my actions on the battlefield. Truly, he said, on that day no other squire had shown stronger mettle and greater promise to become one of the greats of the Order.”

“…why does no one ever want to listen to MY stories? I’m a bloody Bhaalspawn and my adventures are breathtakingly interesting by default!”

“Verily, I believe I have proven myself to the Order with abundance, and though the day of my Trial approaches, I shall meet it with courage only, all doubt cast aside. For it was during the campaign against the Hillgnasher giants, that-”

“Stop it… stop it right there. This really isn’t working out. Yeah, and about the Hillgnasher giants campaign… I think I’m going to buy a book and read all about it in there. Goodbye.”

Nearly obnoxious enough...

Never stop giving the looks? Yes, sounds about right.

“My people live high in the mountains to the far south, in a place called Faenya-Dail, separated from contact with others. It is a grand and majestic place. My memory is dim, but whenever the thought of it crosses my mind, my eyes still blur with tears. I… I guess you must think my longing silly, foolish even.”

“Was that a serious question, or did you just expect me to possess enough manners not to answer that honestly?”

“Haha, you silly man! I don’t understand half of the jokes you make!”

“…I was making jokes?”

“I… I have been looking at the scars… on my back. The stumps that were… that were once my wings. They do not… they do not make me truly homely, do they?”

:lol: Well, that made me laugh for some reason, so I guess it must be good. I think that's what she'd sound like if you went through all the dialogues without really being sympathetic enough to want to.

“Ahh, crawled back, did you? Didn’t think you could endure parting from Viconia for too long, and I see I’ve been proven right. What’ll it be abbil, do you desire my company again?”

“He does not desire you or your company.”

“Still letting that mongrel dictate everything you’re allowed to do, I see? Such a pity you do not possess anything resembling a spine.”

“Nah, just ignore Jaheira, she’s generally grumpy, but she likes you really. I certainly do! This will work out just fine.”

“…I am warning you…”

“Or what? You’re going to buy him a leash? Or use the old one from your sniveling late husband?”

*whoosh*

*THUD!*

“You whoring bitch!”

“Hey! What’s the big idea knocking Viconia out! I liked her, she was nice to me!”

Nice? I don't think they had that word in her native language, and she's probably never grasped the concept later either.

My first reaction was honestly, "What? Who?" :lol:

Yes, indeed. Fun.

#5 Guest_IronDragon_*

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:03 PM

Well, I thought I’d write something on topic, but it kind of ended not being entirely on, since we’re actually dealing with second impressions here. But I figure it sort of works for the quiz.

AU-ish. What we’re looking here is probably early in Bg-2 SoA part and Theo and Jaheira looking to recruit another healer and it’s well, harder than you’d think.

Theo hunting for a back up healer… hmmm.

Isn’t that what potions are for?

Famous last words

See, it wasn’t; that bad – I mean you didn’t kill her

Very fun story Theo.
But aside from Jaheira do you like ANY of the NPC’s?

#6 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:26 PM

Well, definitely glad you had yourself a Happy St Paddy's. It's a most important thing to do.

Definitely got a good couple of chuckles out of this piece. Especially the Cernd and Viconia parts. I mean Cernd is... well... yeah. He's a special one. And the love Viconia and Jaheira share is something special and beautiful. Truly a spectacle to behold. Heh.

Good work Theo, funny stuff.

VH

#7 Guest_Reality-Helix_*

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:52 PM

Personally, I thought Cernd was somewhat amusing, even with his little nature anecdotes. I most especially liked when he went midaeval in that guy who had his child.

Midevil? Mid-evil? I used to know how to spell that correctly.

#8 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:51 PM

“Well sure, but remember that time when you were knocked out for a few hours when one of Jan’s contraptions exploded into your face? What if we had been attacked by some giant flesh-eating spider-monkey tribe just then?”

“I suppose you do have a point. As for the gnome, I believe placing him naked and tied up on top of an anthill was a suitable punishment.”

:D

“I’m still disturbed by the willingness and joy that he embraced it with, though…”

:)

“I will not comment on your ‘judge of character’ abilities, not after you suggested that Korgan was a ‘misunderstood orphan and a result of childhood tragedy’ and Yoshimo was ‘probably down there just for a little stroll in the sewers’.”

How could anyone misunderstand Korgan, he is, after all, quite clear about what motivates him :)

All this reminds me of the time Minsc got to tell Anomen he was very arrogant :)

Shouldn't he be used to them by now?

Yep.

Her romance with Haer'Dalis is so much more interesting, and makes her so much more interesting, than the one with charname that it's not even remotely funny.

“That reminds me, have I ever told you about the time when Gorion, Khalid and I last visited Athkatla?”

“…I hate you *so* much.”

:)

*whoosh*

*THUD!*

“You whoring bitch!”

So, technically Viconia was just fine, except Jaheira couldn't handle it? Doesn't this make Theo right and Jaheira wrong? :)

“Yes, now that you mention it… there was someone… can’t really place the face again… what’s his name… bah.”

You really don't like him, do you :?

“First, Theo, you are a horrible judge of character. Second, my first impressions of a person are always right. Third, you cannot leave a second impression, if you do not have the personality to leave any kind of first impression at all.”

Which doesn't explain how Jaheira suggested giving the whoring bitch a second audition :D

#9 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:56 AM

Never stop giving the looks? Yes, sounds about right.

Some people have good reason to appear smug.

:D Well, that made me laugh for some reason, so I guess it must be good. I think that's what she'd sound like if you went through all the dialogues without really being sympathetic enough to want to.

Well, that's what I did, and I think they are an example of very horrible writing. Aerie's SoA romance is just mind-bogglingly stupidly written, doesn't really help the character one bit.

“You whoring bitch!”

Nice? I don't think they had that word in her native language, and she's probably never grasped the concept later either.

Well, she tried to put some very blatant moves on him. But mostly he just says it to annoy Jaheira. :)

My first reaction was honestly, "What? Who?" :D

A very easily forgettable werewolf druid. Good job, Bioware.

Yes, indeed. Fun.

Thanks. :)

#10 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:01 AM

Theo hunting for a back up healer… hmmm.

Isn’t that what potions are for?

I think they went back to potions, after all this.

Famous last words

*nods*

See, it wasn’t; that bad – I mean you didn’t kill her

I think a little more exposure to the stumps and they might have been more tempted by violence. :D

Very fun story Theo.
But aside from Jaheira do you like ANY of the NPC’s?

Quite a few, I actually like Anomen, pompous twat that he can be - I usually take him as the second healer in my groups. Viconia can be tolerable at times, but the mind games I find annoying.

But overall it's like with people in real life, most I can't stand or find indifferent, and like only select few. :D

#11 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:05 AM

Well, definitely glad you had yourself a Happy St Paddy's. It's a most important thing to do.

Agreed on that. :D

Definitely got a good couple of chuckles out of this piece. Especially the Cernd and Viconia parts. I mean Cernd is... well... yeah. He's a special one. And the love Viconia and Jaheira share is something special and beautiful. Truly a spectacle to behold. Heh.

*grin* I think my Jaheira normally has a lot more restraint than that, but for this kind of silly piece... nothing beats some slapstick violence.

Good work Theo, funny stuff.

VH

Thank you. :D

#12 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:13 AM

Personally, I thought Cernd was somewhat amusing, even with his little nature anecdotes. I most especially liked when he went midaeval in that guy who had his child.

Midevil? Mid-evil? I used to know how to spell that correctly.

This reminds me of some more zealous smite-happy paladins, who declare that those of neutral alignment are basically half-evil and deserve no less smiting than the full-blown evils.

Hence, new alignment. True Midevil.

*slaps knee laughing*

I think I'm still hungover. Now I want to tell the 'A seal walks into a bar' jokes.

#13 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:23 AM

:D

Gnomes are an extremely disturbing race... my adventures on Azeroth have only enforced that belief...

How could anyone misunderstand Korgan, he is, after all, quite clear about what motivates him :)

But he's just a cute ickle dwarf!

All this reminds me of the time Minsc got to tell Anomen he was very arrogant :D

Thankfully he gets better. :)

Shouldn't he be used to them by now?

Yeah. Good point. :)

Yep.

Her romance with Haer'Dalis is so much more interesting, and makes her so much more interesting, than the one with charname that it's not even remotely funny.

Like I said earlier, the writing is just abominable. :?

“You whoring bitch!”

So, technically Viconia was just fine, except Jaheira couldn't handle it? Doesn't this make Theo right and Jaheira wrong? :)

Let's look at it again this way:

First impression: Punched the lights out almost immediately.
Second impression: Again, punched the lights out almost immediately.

So, technically, Jaheira's first impression was always correct. She just shouldn't have doubted it herself. :)

You really don't like him, do you :D

There's not really enough to dislike... I just dislike having such a waste of space of character, when he could have been more fun.

Which doesn't explain how Jaheira suggested giving the whoring bitch a second audition :D

Nah, she was right, as I explained above. She had just forgotten how much Viconia got on her nerves. :D

#14 Guest_glAssbOy_*

Posted 19 March 2009 - 01:34 PM

I also thought I’d try something new with this piece. It’s entirely dialogue and without clear identification of the speaker. I figure it should be pretty obvious though, if it’s not, well, the fail lies entirely with me. Let me know how this works for you.

It was a fun read for me. At least it served as some sort of refresher course for the characterization of several NPCs since I don't have BG2 on my hard drive installed.

Too much I guess...

Let me take that back.

Editors usually correct the write-ups, right? I wonder how will they deal with Anomen's brand of story telling.

The game portraits I presume? If I remember correctly, Jaheira looks like she's gonna punch you anytime with those eyes of hers.

She will, you better have a cup of coffee, my good sir.

Hey that coffee ain't free! (Looks at Aerie) Ahem...

“Why does everyone insist on pouring their hearts out to me of all people? There’s nothing about me that would even remotely imply any sort of interest or capacity of sympathizing with their horrible plight. I’m a cynical bastard, for crying out loud!”

I guess they tend to see you as the cynic with a heart of gold then. If that is ever possible.

“But you called her ‘whoring bitch’ and punched her five minutes after our first meeting with her!”

“I do not call anyone a ‘whoring bitch’, as you know I am far too ladylike for that.”

“…yes, obviously. But why not, let’s pay her a visit.”

He just took the bait...

Sarcasm. I like.

Uh oh, her husband just--

*whoosh*

*THUD!*

“You whoring bitch!”

What happened to "ladylike" then?

“Is it not odd? I remember talking to someone… it might have even been a druid, perhaps… I am sure we helped him… or her, with something, no? But I cannot recall neither their face, or voice, or anything about them.”

Eh? Cernd as someone so unforgettable?

“True that.”

First and hard rule when it comes to women and disagreements: She's right, you're wrong. Leave it at that.

The pure dialogue exposition was a gem. Funny, as I observed, this kind of story usually gets a thumbs down at FF.net. What a letdown, oh well, the benefit of a small, and in a way, a "tight-knitted" community, eh?

Cheers!

#15 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:09 PM

It was a fun read for me. At least it served as some sort of refresher course for the characterization of several NPCs since I don't have BG2 on my hard drive installed.

It's been ages for me as well. I plan to replay it in the near future though, to get more creative juices running.

Too much I guess...

Let me take that back.

Believe me, gnomes are very, very creepy. :)

Editors usually correct the write-ups, right? I wonder how will they deal with Anomen's brand of story telling.

Not... well. Not well at all.

The game portraits I presume? If I remember correctly, Jaheira looks like she's gonna punch you anytime with those eyes of hers.

To me she looks both dangerous and mysterious. Part of her charm, really.

She will, you better have a cup of coffee, my good sir.

It might take something stronger than coffee. :)

I guess they tend to see you as the cynic with a heart of gold then. If that is ever possible.

I suspect they just really, really, really die for some attention.

Sarcasm. I like.

Sometimes I feel I should rein in Theo's sarcasm, if I want him to ever appear as a likable character... but I also fear it might be a bit too late for that. :D

Uh oh, her husband just--

That wouldn't stop Viconia.

*whoosh*

*THUD!*

“You whoring bitch!”

What happened to "ladylike" then?

We are talking about Jaheira here. :)

Eh? Cernd as someone so unforgettable?

He just... makes me fall asleep, that's the most reaction I could ever get from him. :)

“True that.”

First and hard rule when it comes to women and disagreements: She's right, you're wrong. Leave it at that.

Wise words, sir.

The pure dialogue exposition was a gem. Funny, as I observed, this kind of story usually gets a thumbs down at FF.net. What a letdown, oh well, the benefit of a small, and in a way, a "tight-knitted" community, eh?

Well, I like your signature for this very reason. People have subtly tried to suggest that I change my style of writing... they can very well bugger off. I like my sarcastic smart-aleck characters, thank you very much! :D

Cheers!

Thank you for your comments. :)

#16 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:20 PM

Well, it's pretty easy to identify who's speaking even without any descriptors, tags, or any other text aside from the actual dialogue, so I wouldn't worry about that. That's largely because of the use of actual game dialogue, and our (Speaking as a general "our") familiarity with it. So I wouldn't worry about it.

As someone who's done this exercise on a couple of occasions (i.e. the minimalist/all dialogue) approach, it can work, and it's fun to try, and sometimes it works better than adding in scene descriptions, character descriptions, and all that. Especially for the purposes of a quick vignette like this.

#17 Guest_Clight_*

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:22 PM

Well, that's what I did, and I think they are an example of very horrible writing. Aerie's SoA romance is just mind-bogglingly stupidly written, doesn't really help the character one bit.

I disagree absolutely, but I'm sure that's no surprise, and as is customary here I'll leave it at that. (Still couldn't resist mentioning it.)

#18 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:34 AM

Well, it's pretty easy to identify who's speaking even without any descriptors, tags, or any other text aside from the actual dialogue, so I wouldn't worry about that. That's largely because of the use of actual game dialogue, and our (Speaking as a general "our") familiarity with it. So I wouldn't worry about it.

As someone who's done this exercise on a couple of occasions (i.e. the minimalist/all dialogue) approach, it can work, and it's fun to try, and sometimes it works better than adding in scene descriptions, character descriptions, and all that. Especially for the purposes of a quick vignette like this.

Yeah, that's exactly what I figured, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com