If You Love Them...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Coutelier_*

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:02 AM

Not really about first impressions as such, although the first encounter is contained here. But we're looking here at a third persons thoughts (not the PC or NPC in question) and reasoning. I went over it a bit before when I wrote Baldur's Gate Heroe's, but here it is again in the original setting, and written in about an hour. I could expand on it a lot more, and maybe will if I do another serial.

If You Love Them…
~*~

He’d had to let her go.

He knew that was the right thing to do, for her… he supposed he thought he’d be able to carry on the same as he always had after she’d left. But everything felt so different now.

The old gnome went out and performed as indeed he always had, wowing the crowds with his grand magical illusions and technological innovations. The whale swimming through the air above their heads; that had been one of Aerie’s ideas. She’d read about them in one of his old books and wanted to see one, and so they’d come up with this whole ‘under the sea’ routine together. She’d helped him design many of the original new tricks and routines that had made this the most popular circus in Amn and Tethyr. She was exceedingly bright really; he’d thought maybe one day she’d succeed him… but that was not to be. He tried for a long time to encourage her to see the circus the way he did, but she could not. She could only remember the pain and misery it had inflicted on her.

He heard the audience, bowed at their applause… but the joy seemed to be gone. He found he had to force himself to smile. There was a huge crowd tonight, the biggest in a long time. And yet it somehow seemed to him to be so empty… hollow.

Perhaps this was how all parents felt when their children grew up and left; he’d probably never know. He had no real family and was too old to start one now… all he’d had was her…

--

“You’re no better than those who kept her in that cage,” the old witch, Bentha had said. Quayle had just returned to Nashkell, where the circus had now set up, from a business trip to Baldur’s Gate. He’d had interesting encounter with a group of adventurers whom he’d stayed with a while as he made his way back south. They hadn’t understood his sense of humour though…

“They treated her worse than they’d treat animals,” the old gnome shuddered as recalled the appalling conditions of Aerie’s cage… she’d had no room to move and the floor was covered in sorts of filth; and it took her nearly dying before the owners finally decided to do anything about it. “How do you mean I’m no better? I teach her, feed her, take care of her… how am I no better?”

“True enough, you treat her like your very own daughter; maybe that’s why you don’t see what’s become clear to the rest of us… she doesn’t want to stay here. Not with the circus, and… not even with you.”

“Hmph… she hasn’t said anything to me about it,” he said, crossing his arms defiantly in the face of the truth. The truth was though, Aerie had been speaking to him less and less lately. When she spoke she sounded distant, and when he spoke she just nodded while her thoughts seemed to be some place else entirely.

“Because she loves you too much; because she thinks you’ll be disappointed. She knows you’ve tried your best to make her happy, but can’t you see? It’s too much… too much sadness for her here. If you really want to make her happy, then you have to let her go so she can find her own way in the world.”

“She just needs time to come to terms with it all…”

“She can’t… not in this place. Too many memories… she needs a change of scene, a new perspective. And you know she comes to see me almost every day, don’t you?”

“She does?”

“Always asks me to teach her a new spell, then she takes away one of my books to read… she must have read them all about five times now.”

Of course, Quayle had been teaching Aerie magic as well; she had practically insisted that he do so. But it wasn’t just the illusionary circus magic she’d wanted to learn… she was drawn more and more to the spell books he’d kept from his adventuring days; he wished now that he hadn’t. She’d read some of his old journals too and kept asking questions about all the places he’d been, what was it like to fight a demon… she’d even asked if he could teach her to defend herself with a staff… but she was good, sweet girl. That was no life for her.

“So?” he sighed, “what’s your point, Bentha?”

“The point is that she’s learnt all she can from them,” the old witch explained, “that there’s nothing more either of us can teach her. It’s time for her to go out into the world. If you wait much longer she’ll only keep getting more and more anxious and restless…”

It was true that Aerie had been getting increasingly restless, even tense sometimes. She did have a wanderer’s soul or an adventurous spirit, didn’t she? It was because she’d adventured so far from her home that the young Avariel had been captured and then wound up here… now she was returning to the way she always had been in her soul; an explorer, a wanderer, an adventurer… but…

“She’s not ready,” the gnome insisted.

“And when will she be ready?” The old witch threw her hands up in despair, “if it’s now, next year, or five years… it’s not going to make any difference, is it? She’s as ready as we can make her…”

“She’s not ready,” the gnome again insisted, walking out of the tent.

--

He managed to hold on to Aerie for just slightly more than a year longer. And in that time everything Bentha had said came true; the elf became more restless, more anxious with each passing day. And more and more distant from her Quayle… she even stopped calling him ‘Uncle’ like she used to. Perhaps that was her subtle way of hinting to him that while she was grateful for all he’d done, she just didn’t want to be fourteen years old for the rest of her life.

And then, in addition to her arcane studies advancing at a rapid pace, there was the manifestation of God given powers; the gift of healing, the abilities to summon divine strength and protection… could it be that the Gods had chosen his little Aerie for a purpose? That they had made plans for her and wanted her to leave him as well…

Quayle tried to deny it… what of his plans? He could make her happy again, if only she’d listen to him…

But finally something happened that made him see the truth that he couldn’t hold on to her any. It was Kalah.

Quayle had seen everything that had happened in the circus tent when Kalah and whatever demon he’d made a pact with took it over. Well, he’d only been able to hear most of it since the evil gnome and taken away his sight for a time. But he’d seen the start of the chaos that night. Kalah had shown what was happening to his beloved, adopted niece as the beasts he’d summoned leapt from the shadows.

Like everyone else trapped in the circus tent that night, Aerie had been scared. But unlike everyone else, she hadn’t panicked or tried to run. Instead she showed her courage, balling her little fists determinedly and fighting the beasts with all the magic she had learnt, helping as many as she could to escape. Even when her magic ran out she kept on fighting with her staff before she was eventually overpowered by the monsters.

Even when, the next night, Aerie had been chained within one of Kalah’s illusions and a group of adventurers stumbled into her sights, she hadn’t asked them for any help. She tried to save them too, warning them to flee.

Quayle was grateful that they were the stubborn type and hadn’t listened… but he now realized that Aerie really was an adventurer; it wasn’t just what she wanted to be, it was what she was in her heart. Not just the sweet girl he’d always thought of her as.

--

“Uncle Quayle, you’re okay!” Aerie knelt down and threw her arms around the gnome.

“Ha! I knew Kalah would trip over himself eventually,” he laughed, smiling at her calling him Uncle again. He’d already spoken to the adventurers who had come to their aid and defeated Kalah. When he’d heard their voices he suspected, and when he got his sight back confirmed it; it was the same group he’d encountered near Baldur’s Gate. A good sort, he knew… the half-elf lady was bit bossy, but… maybe this was the will of the Gods after all…

“What would I ever do without you?”

The old gnome pushed her back a little, so that he could take in all of her beautiful, but suddenly rather puzzled face.

For all her courage, she of course lacked any actual experience so he couldn’t possibly let her go by her self. He’d already spoken to the groups leader, who had also been impressed by her bravery and skill and so agreed it might not be such a terrible burden to guide her.

“I… I think you need to find out my dear,” he said at last, “I’ve taught you everything I can. It’s time, Aerie, time for you to learn the rest on your own.”

The look on her face said it all; she was the happiest he had ever made her.

#2 Guest_Reality-Helix_*

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:52 AM

Now this...I like. Seems rare to see her portrayed in any sort of decent light, and Quayle tends to get ignored completely! Now, I'll admit that I didn't like him much, but still, it's nice to run into the less popular ones every now and then, and I'm glad we got to see him and some of the others again in SoA. I was mad about Xzar though.

#3 Guest_glAssbOy_*

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:39 AM

Got to agree with Reality-Helix, this kind of Aerie story is quite rare. Most that I found outside the Attic tend to bash her. Well, I did write a fic where she gets killed.

Never got to play the first installment of BG, so I don't really know Quayle, except for what he is to Aerie. What can I say though is that, the "possessive father" trope did pretty well with him.

Cheers!

#4 Guest_Coutelier_*

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:05 PM

Now this...I like. Seems rare to see her portrayed in any sort of decent light, and Quayle tends to get ignored completely!

Well, I wanted to write a little bit more about NPC's besides Aerie herself or Imoen... admittedly, Quayle isn't moving a huge distance from her, but it's a start I reckon.

Besides, as you say, we don't see much of her written in a decent light, or even very much in-character at all, at least not on this board. There are a few quite excellent stories with her on FF.net.

Now, I'll admit that I didn't like him much, but still, it's nice to run into the less popular ones every now and then, and I'm glad we got to see him and some of the others again in SoA. I was mad about Xzar though.

I think there were lots of characters from the first game the writers just had no clue on how to develop, unfortunately. Still, that's why we have fan fiction, isn't it?

#5 Guest_Coutelier_*

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:22 PM

Got to agree with Reality-Helix, this kind of Aerie story is quite rare. Most that I found outside the Attic tend to bash her. Well, I did write a fic where she gets killed.

Which I find is a shame. She's, well, not straightforward.... what I mean she's a complex and interesting character IMO. And I don't she really whines much at all, at least not outside her romance dialogues. Usually she just keeps her head down and tries to mind her own business. The game tends to rush into the romance if you're a male character. I think realistically it would take her a lot longer before she trusted anyone in the party enough to try confiding in them.

But there are many examples of time being compressed like that in the game... I think there's an actual term writers use for it (like in detective stories when someone distracts a person while their partner sneaks into a room and happens to find the vital clue... but there's obviously no way in real life they could have thoroughly searched the whole place in those two minutes) but I forget what it is.

Never got to play the first installment of BG, so I don't really know Quayle, except for what he is to Aerie. What can I say though is that, the "possessive father" trope did pretty well with him.

There's not much to him in the first game... none of the NPC's have the amount of depth/level of interaction that the ones in the second game do. IIRC, you bump into him, he asks which direction you're heading and whatever you say he'll insist he was heading that way too and asks to tag along. That's pretty much it. He appears so late in the game as well that's unlikely you'd want to really switch your existing party members out for him... I guess that's why the writers figured no one would really notice if he was retconned a bit for BG2.

Anyway, thanks for reading :lol:

#6 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:23 PM

Not really about first impressions as such, although the first encounter is contained here. But we're looking here at a third persons thoughts (not the PC or NPC in question) and reasoning. I went over it a bit before when I wrote Baldur's Gate Heroe's, but here it is again in the original setting, and written in about an hour. I could expand on it a lot more, and maybe will if I do another serial.

Definitely in the spirit and letter of the Quiz Challenge Coutelier...

And my congratulations on being first out of the box!

He’d had to let her go.

He knew that was the right thing to do, for her… he supposed he thought he’d be able to carry on the same as he always had after she’d left. But everything felt so different now.

The old gnome went out and performed as indeed he always had, wowing the crowds with his grand magical illusions and technological innovations. The whale swimming through the air above their heads; that had been one of Aerie’s ideas. She’d read about them in one of his old books and wanted to see one, and so they’d come up with this whole ‘under the sea’ routine together. She’d helped him design many of the original new tricks and routines that had made this the most popular circus in Amn and Tethyr. She was exceedingly bright really; he’d thought maybe one day she’d succeed him… but that was not to be. He tried for a long time to encourage her to see the circus the way he did, but she could not. She could only remember the pain and misery it had inflicted on her.

Quayle feeling lonely without Aerie... and the whale was a lovely touch.

Perhaps this was how all parents felt when their children grew up and left; he’d probably never know. He had no real family and was too old to start one now… all he’d had was her…

Poor ol' Quayle. He never really bothered me... hell, I barely even noted him from BG1 so it never really resonated he was the same guy.

“You’re no better than those who kept her in that cage,” the old witch, Bentha had said. Quayle had just returned to Nashkell, where the circus had now set up, from a business trip to Baldur’s Gate. He’d had interesting encounter with a group of adventurers whom he’d stayed with a while as he made his way back south. They hadn’t understood his sense of humour though…

*raises his hand* I was one

“They treated her worse than they’d treat animals,” the old gnome shuddered as recalled the appalling conditions of Aerie’s cage… she’d had no room to move and the floor was covered in sorts of filth; and it took her nearly dying before the owners finally decided to do anything about it. “How do you mean I’m no better? I teach her, feed her, take care of her… how am I no better?”

“True enough, you treat her like your very own daughter; maybe that’s why you don’t see what’s become clear to the rest of us… she doesn’t want to stay here. Not with the circus, and… not even with you.”

It's also nice seeing a few of the other circus members. Wonder what happened to her.

“Hmph… she hasn’t said anything to me about,” he said, crossing his arms defiantly in the face of the truth. The truth was though, Aerie had been speaking to him less and less lately. When she spoke she sounded distant, and when he spoke she just nodded while her thoughts seemed to be some place else entirely.

One minor nit... it seems you forgot the 'it' after about.

“Always asks me to teach her a new spell, then she takes away one of my books to read… she must have read them all about five times now.”

Of course, Quayle had been teaching Aerie magic as well; she had practically insisted that he do so. But it wasn’t just the illusionary circus magic she’d wanted to learn… she was drawn more and more to the spell books he’d kept from his adventuring days; he wished now that he hadn’t. She’d read some of his old journals too and kept asking questions about all the places he’d been, what was it like to fight a demon… she’d even asked if he could teach her to defend herself with a staff… but she was good, sweet girl. That was no life for her.

But... but it's not like fireball's got much call for in the circus. :lol:

It was true that Aerie had been getting increasingly restless, even tense sometimes. She did have a wanderer’s soul or an adventurous spirit, didn’t she? It was because she’d adventured so far from her home that the young Avariel had been captured and then wound up here… now she was returning to the way she always had been in her soul; an explorer, a wanderer, an adventurer… but…

“And when will she be ready?” The old witch threw her hands up in despair, “if it’s now, next year, or five years… it’s not going to make any difference, is it? She’s as ready as we can make her…”

Bran: "No one is ever really ready... not until they've been tested. But... there's a point where you've got to suit up and try or it all goes to hell."

Aleria: "Exactly. A blade left too long in the water to temper will rust."

And then, in addition to her arcane studies advancing at a rapid pace, there was the manifestation of God given powers; the gift of healing, the abilities to summon divine strength and protection… could it be that the God’s had chosen his little Aerie for a purpose? That they had made plans for her and wanted her to leave him as well…

Well, depends on the type of god. Some of them are all about quests. Some are all about giving people the divine version of a stick of dynamite and a match and seeing what happens.

My apologies to Terry Prachett for stealing his line. :lol:

Like everyone else trapped in the circus tent that night, Aerie had been scared. But unlike everyone else, she hadn’t panicked or tried to run. Instead she showed her courage, balling her little fists determinedly and fighting the beasts with all the magic she had learnt, helping as many as she could to escape. Even when her magic ran out she kept on fighting with her staff before she was eventually overpowered by the monsters.

You really do write one of the best and most complex Aerie's I've seen. Courageous and fearless... even if she doesn't know it or admit it.

“Uncle Quayle, you’re okay!” Aerie knelt down and threw her arms around the gnome.

“Ha! I knew Kalah would trip over himself eventually,” he laughed, smiling at her calling him Uncle again. He’d already spoken to the adventurers who had come to their aid and defeated Kalah. When he’d heard their voices he suspected, and when he got his sight back confirmed it; it was the same group he’d encountered near Baldur’s Gate. A good sort, he knew… the half-elf lady was bit bossy, but… maybe this was the will of the Gods after all…

“What would I ever do without you?”

The old gnome pushed her back a little, so that he could take in all of her beautiful, but suddenly rather puzzled face.

For all her courage, she of course lacked any actual experience so he couldn’t possibly let her go by her self. He’d already spoken to the groups leader, who had also been impressed by her bravery and skill and so agreed it might not be such a terrible burden to guide her.

“I… I think you need to find out my dear,” he said at last, “I’ve taught you everything I can. It’s time, Aerie, time for you to learn the rest on your own.”

And a great ending. Good work Coutelier. :)

VH

#7 Guest_CrazeeFfan_*

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:04 PM

A really nice piece. It's not often that Quayle gets any time in the spotlight, so this was a pleasant new experience. I loved the touch with the whale, and I love that you have shown Aerie's more adventurous side. Quayle just fobs her off on you in the game, and from first impressions, Aerie hardly seems like the adventuring type - I think this lays the ground work for her leaving wonderfully.

Almost makes me like Quayle. Almost. :lol:

#8 Guest_Coutelier_*

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:05 PM

Definitely in the spirit and letter of the Quiz Challenge Coutelier...

And my congratulations on being first out of the box!

Yay me! :)

I hadn't really thought about it, but I've had a tonne of short stories ideas that have just been left lying around for a while, waiting to see if something will happen with the quizzes... so good job you :D

Quayle feeling lonely without Aerie... and the whale was a lovely touch.

:lol: Unfortunately they all have to grow up and find their own way eventually (or fly the nest, so to speak... I was tempted to put that in somewhere but it didn't fit and its not like Aerie hasn't heard them all before anyway).

The whale... I think I'd been watching one of these programs about what life could be like on other planets and they had these huge sky whales. I thought it was a pretty cool image.

Poor ol' Quayle. He never really bothered me... hell, I barely even noted him from BG1 so it never really resonated he was the same guy.

I never really had him in my party, so he never bothered me either. Like I said elsewhere, it's just too late in the game when I usually encounter him and I don't really feel like changing things around.

*raises his hand* I was one

Quayle: Don't you see? It was post-modern irony I was using.

It's also nice seeing a few of the other circus members. Wonder what happened to her.

Bentha may still be around... I don't think she went with them to Athkatla so she'll be out there somewhere still.

One minor nit... it seems you forgot the 'it' after about.

I'll go and correct it right away!

But... but it's not like fireball's got much call for in the circus. :D

It just seem Aerie's favourite spells are the ones that involve fire though :lol:

Bran: "No one is ever really ready... not until they've been tested. But... there's a point where you've got to suit up and try or it all goes to hell."

Aleria: "Exactly. A blade left too long in the water to temper will rust."

He just refuses to let himself see... he wants to hold onto his little girl as long as possible. The fact is though, if it goes on too long she'll likely leave on her own, and she has no experience of the world. It's far better if she can go with people he knows he can trust.

Well, depends on the type of god. Some of them are all about quests. Some are all about giving people the divine version of a stick of dynamite and a match and seeing what happens.

Baervar could probably go either way, although Aerdrie seems like she'd be more the questing type...

You really do write one of the best and most complex Aerie's I've seen. Courageous and fearless... even if she doesn't know it or admit it.

Don't know about fearless... you can't really be brave without being scared a little. The complete absence of fear is really foolhardyness and you don't need that in a party member, you want them on their toes. Although admittedly Aerie does take big risks and gambles sometimes...

And a great ending. Good work Coutelier. :D

Thank you :D

#9 Guest_Coutelier_*

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:12 PM

A really nice piece. It's not often that Quayle gets any time in the spotlight, so this was a pleasant new experience. I loved the touch with the whale, and I love that you have shown Aerie's more adventurous side. Quayle just fobs her off on you in the game, and from first impressions, Aerie hardly seems like the adventuring type - I think this lays the ground work for her leaving wonderfully.

Appearances can be deceptive, if you'll forgive a cliche. But anyway, it is true that she isn't screaming for help when the party finds her, she's screaming for them to get out; so it struck me right away that there was more to her than meets the eye.

And Quayle fobbing her off may be another example of how things in game often happen in an unrealistically short time frame, because we have to march onwards, with wholly undeserved confidence, with the plot. Obviously sometimes you have to assume that there's always a lot more going on 'off camera' as it were, so I wanted to show it here.

Almost makes me like Quayle. Almost. :lol:

He's pretty harmless, really. Well, like others, he just didn't really register with me in the first game at all.

#10 Guest_Clight_*

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:55 PM

Sweet. I never thought of Aerie as being so eager to leave, though. I'd sooner imagine she'd not have fully realised she should, even as she probably wanted to.

I also feel a little uncomfortable when you describe Aerie as determined, including at least in one other story. She does have low self-esteem, self-confidence and self-efficacy at this point; it seems she'd need to be pushed into a corner more clearly to stand up for herself. In this case, maybe you'd just need to point out more clearly she was. She does spend a lot of time whining she's no good when she feels she can lean on someone else. I believe she would probably show strength when forced to, but she doesn't know she has any and that shows.

But this is not to say I didn't like this, it's just that I always tend to find more to say about the negative or contentious than the positive. I may disagree on some details, but at least I can tell you've been playing the same game as I when you write about Aerie. All due respect to those who see things differently, but it does make your stories much more fun for me to read.

#11 Guest_Coutelier_*

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:37 PM

Sweet. I never thought of Aerie as being so eager to leave, though. I'd sooner imagine she'd not have fully realised she should, even as she probably wanted to.

Obviously it's scary for her, going out into the world for the first time and she might be a little hesitant about it but she is an intelligent person and somewhere in that tangled web of emotions I think she realises that she has to get away.

I also feel a little uncomfortable when you describe Aerie as determined, including at least in one other story. She does have low self-esteem, self-confidence and self-efficacy at this point; it seems she'd need to be pushed into a corner more clearly to stand up for herself. In this case, maybe you'd just need to point out more clearly she was. She does spend a lot of time whining she's no good when she feels she can lean on someone else. I believe she would probably show strength when forced to, but she doesn't know she has any and that shows.

Most of my other stories though are set in the gulf between SoA and ToB so she's over the worst of her issues by then anyway :lol:

I don't think she does spend much time whining; take away the romance and you hardly get a peep from her. She does however talk a bit about 'proving herself'. And the romance I wouldn't call whining; I doubt she was expecting it to all start spilling out like that. It's rather unintentional on her part. Plus, even with Quayle looking after her, it's not as if she's been living a life of luxury. She still has to work very hard, just like everyone else in the circus.

That said, obviously she is very dependent on others, but I don't think she's too concerned about fighting or monsters... that's really not all that complicated (it's maybe even therapeutic for her)... it's more the culture shock and the social side of things that she needs help with.

Now if it were a person, or a supposed ally, picking on or attacking her then I agree she'd find it much harder to stand up for herself. But illusionary monsters; easy. She can handle those no problem.

But this is not to say I didn't like this, it's just that I always tend to find more to say about the negative or contentious than the positive. I may disagree on some details, but at least I can tell you've been playing the same game as I when you write about Aerie. All due respect to those who see things differently, but it does make your stories much more fun for me to read.

I'm glad you enjoyed it :lol: I'll certainly think about what you've said... I wrote this one very quickly and like I said I may want to expand on it more in the future, maybe work it into a serial.

#12 Guest_The Blue Sorceress_*

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:14 AM

You're never too old with magic (or viagra.)

“[...] I teach her, feed her, take care of her… how am I no better?”

Ironically, he's talking about her almost like someone would talk about a pet. Which is also an animal.

And then, in addition to her arcane studies advancing at a rapid pace, there was the manifestation of God given powers; the gift of healing, the abilities to summon divine strength and protection… could it be that the God’s had chosen his little Aerie for a purpose? That they had made plans for her and wanted her to leave him as well…

You've got a bad case of the Green Grocer's Apostrophe right there. Might want to have a doctor look at it (Phd English Lit. anyway.)

Quayle tried to deny it… what of his plans? He could make her happy again, if only she’d listen to him…

Girls never listen. I should know, I am one.

Nice story, although I have trouble reconciling this Quayle with the horrible, abrasive little man that can be picked up in front of Baldur's Gate. Aerie changed him into a better person maybe?

Blue

#13 Guest_Clight_*

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:02 AM

Nice story, although I have trouble reconciling this Quayle with the horrible, abrasive little man that can be picked up in front of Baldur's Gate. Aerie changed him into a better person maybe?

That's what the game seems to say, but the two Quayles never seemed to have much in common. It barely makes sense they'd have a timeline in common.

#14 Guest_Coutelier_*

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:01 PM

You're never too old with magic (or viagra.)

There are limits... admittedly I don't really know how old Quayle actually is. He just feels old... maybe soon, there will be some some bronzed, blonde six foot tall amazon with a fetish for gnomes who will literally come and sweep him off his feet. Right now he feels lonely and miserable but you never know what the future holds.

“[...] I teach her, feed her, take care of her… how am I no better?”

Ironically, he's talking about her almost like someone would talk about a pet. Which is also an animal.

But... a cute animal, usually anyway. I guess parents are often a little like that with their children, especially daughters. They dress them in up in pretty dresses, parade them around saying 'Isn't she adorable?' But, then she grows up and becomes a whore (well, she starts dating, but to a dad its the same thing).

Obviously, Quayle doesn't really dress her up or parade her. This is a circus, and circus people generally far too busy working for too little cash for things like that. But... I think she is a bit of a trophy to him. Like he's gotten a vintage car and restored it to working condition and he's just very proud of his work. Obviously he does genuinely care a lot about her... but there's a little, a tiny bit of that...

You've got a bad case of the Green Grocer's Apostrophe right there. Might want to have a doctor look at it (Phd English Lit. anyway.)

The terrible thing is I know the apostrophe shouldn't be there. When I'm in markets and I see a sign saying 'Tomato's 59p', I like to go up to the counter and ask if I can see this tomato that owns fifty nine pence... what, is it some genetically modified tomato, an engineered slave race that you pay way below the minimum wage?'

And inevitably the person in the shop breaks down crying, saying 'I only work here weekends to pay my way through college, you arsehole...'

But there you go... I keep doing it myself anyway.

Girls never listen. I should know, I am one.

It's something we've all experienced.

He does say that in the game. If we continue the dialogue from where I left it off in the story:

Aerie: "You're the wisest and the smartest and the kindest man I'll ever know."

Quayle: "I wasn't always, my dear. You changed that. But I can't keep you here."

#15 Guest_Coutelier_*

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:07 PM

That's what the game seems to say, but the two Quayles never seemed to have much in common. It barely makes sense they'd have a timeline in common.

It is never stated directly that they are the same person, although there are plenty of little hints that they might be... they do have very different personalities though. It does seem a few elements of the story got retconned between 1 and 2 and Quayle seems to have been one of them.

#16 Guest_Clight_*

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:38 PM

It is never stated directly that they are the same person, although there are plenty of little hints that they might be... they do have very different personalities though. It does seem a few elements of the story got retconned between 1 and 2 and Quayle seems to have been one of them.

Don't they have the same voice? I was under the impression anyway, I haven't specifically checked from BG1 or played him there so as to remember.

#17 Guest_Coutelier_*

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:59 PM

Don't they have the same voice? I was under the impression anyway, I haven't specifically checked from BG1 or played him there so as to remember.

I can't remember anything about the voices. In terms of the written dialogue there's no actual recognition between the PC and Quayle in the second game. Just things like 'Come to think of it you do look a little familiar...' nothing that says they definitely have met before and certainly no mention of him ever going to Baldur's Gate.

#18 Guest_IronDragon_*

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:07 PM

I really liked the story.
You capture one of the strangest relationships of the entire BG saga (a relationship the game itself largely ignores) and you do so beautifully. It takes a great writer to take two of the least liked NPC’s and turn them into real breathing characters that step out of their tightly defined niche and make you care about them.

More please!

#19 Guest_Coutelier_*

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:27 PM

I really liked the story.
You capture one of the strangest relationships of the entire BG saga (a relationship the game itself largely ignores) and you do so beautifully. It takes a great writer to take two of the least liked NPC’s and turn them into real breathing characters that step out of their tightly defined niche and make you care about them.

I would disagree that Aerie at least is one of the least liked NPC's; she definitely has a large number of fans. However, because she obviously does have issues it's just far easier to make of fun of her than it is to try and write her really well. Quayle I just don't think really means anything to anyone; he's very easily ignored.

I wanted to make him a bit more sympathetic and show that he really wasn't just fobbing Aerie off on you in the game :D

Anyway, thanks for reading and for the kind comments :D

#20 Guest_Reality-Helix_*

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:44 PM

Writing "issues" can be very, very difficult. So I guess it is easier to poke fun, but it can't be the only thing that ever gets written. Well, I guess you've proven that, huh?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com