Ember's Tale 85: The Temple of Amaunator

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:20 AM

Chapter 85: The Temple of Amaunator

The interior of the temple was dark and musty, and showed signs of having been neglected for years, decades, maybe even centuries. The hole that Ember and her companions had used to enter the temple led to a smallish chamber that was half full of fallen rocks. There was an opening on one of the walls that looked as if it had once held a door, and beyond it lay a long, dark corridor, lined with several other doorways.

"Storage rooms, or quarters, perhaps," Yoshimo said, and carefully led the others down the corridor. The chambers they passed were mostly empty; two shadows emerged from one of the doorways near the end of the corridor, but they were quickly dealt with.

The next chamber was significantly larger, and far more populated. A dozen or so shade wolves were silently padding around between the sooted pillars that held up the ceiling, and the moment the group entered the room, several large shadow creatures and a pair of skeletons, holding massive broadswords in their bony hands, rushed in from an adjoining chamber.

"Foolish mortals!" one of the largest shadows hissed. "You shall not free the master's consort!"

The undead creatures were far stronger than the ones in the forest had been; Anomen was able to destroy the shade wolves and repel the smallest of the shadows, but the larger shadows and the skeletons only flinched slightly, then kept coming. With a loud, disgusted grumble, the Helmite hefted his war hammer and started attacking the skeletons.

Fighting that many undead was like nothing Ember had ever experienced before. The skeletons did not stop unless they they were broken to pieces, and the shadows were only dispersed by what would have been killing blows on humans; darkness could not be bruised, and the shadows' skin, if they could be said to have that, resealed around any lesser cuts within moments. The ghostly claws and fangs of the shadows were everywhere, biting and tearing and pulling, and the only sound the skeletons made was the dry creaking of bone against bone as they swung their swords. The battlefield felt a lot like a nightmare, and that feeling was only compounded when Edwin lost his magelight; after that, the room was only lit by the red glow of the wizard's fire spells and the occasional glimmer of bluish white whenever she or Anomen had to pause to heal someone.

It was a long, hard fight, but eventually, the throng of undead thinned out. Once the two skeletons were brought down, the battle became far easier, and Minsc beheaded the last of the shadows just as Edwin rekindled his magelight.

"Well done, all," Ember panted, and stopped herself from looking for something to wipe her staff clean with. No need for that. There wasn't the slightest trace of gore on any of their weapons, and other than two piles of crumbled bones, the skeletons' swords, and the occasional fresh bloodstain - from herself and her friends, but not a drop from their foes - the chamber they had fought in was just as pristine.

"Ho, noble friends!" someone called out from the far end of the room.

"Who goes there?" Valygar asked, and carefully moved towards the voice. A doorway in the corner had been boarded up with roughly hewn planks, and a small, gauntleted hand waved at them from a gap near the bottom.

"Your grace," the voice replied, "I am Mazzy Fentan, Truesword of Arvoreen and a valiant servant of justice and righteousness. As you can see, I could use your assistance."

"And you shall have it," Valygar said. He and Minsc immediately set to work at removing the planks, and before long, a dishevelled-looking halfling woman emerged from the cell. She was dressed in a stained suit of chainmail, and her dirt-smudged face was surrounded by a mass of short, reddish brown curls. If Ember were to guess, Mazzy was five to ten years older than herself.

The group introduced themselves, and Mazzy shook each one's hand in turn with a surprisingly firm grip.

"You were with Merella's party, were you not?" Valygar asked.

"I was. She led us here to discover the source of the evil that has befallen the area." Mazzy sighed. "A source which became abundantly clear when it slaughtered my companions."

"Valygar lowered his head. "Merella is dead, then."

"No. Not yet."

"What do you mean?" Ember asked.

"As I said, Merella brought us here. Local legends spoke of this old temple and of a darkness that was struck down here, ages long past. It seemed a reasonable place to begin our quest. We entered the temple ruins and found it infested with shadow-magic. This place was once one of the sun god Amaunator's temples; look at it now!" Mazzy gestured at the dark walls and dusty corners. "A Shade Lord has made the temple his abode, and twisted it to his purposes. The shadows you just fought are what is left of his victims, perverted and corrupted by his power, and they were only the lesser of his servants."

"What other servants does he have?" Ember asked.

"He commands a dragon," Mazzy said bitterly.

"A... a dragon?!" Edwin sputtered.

"Yes. A shadow dragon. It struck us down as he watched and laughed. Then... then he took the life force of my friends and turned them to members of his cursed army." The halfling's voice wavered. "Merella and I were the only ones left standing. I would gladly have sold my life with my friends, but the Shade Lord would not let his dragon kill us. His new consorts, he called us."

"Consorts?" Yoshimo asked. "What manner of undead spirit could require consorts?"

"He did not mean it in the conventional sense. He is not a creature of this plane and must possess a body, feeding on its life, in order to remain here. He inhabits Merella, now... and planned to use my own body once Merella grows weak, I suspect."

"I have... encountered such beings before," Valygar said grimly. "We must destroy this monster."

"Did you completely forget about his dragon?!" Edwin asked. "We are nowhere near being able to handle something like that! (Much as I hate to admit it.)"

"You surprise me, mage," Valygar said. "I would not have expected you to admit to a limit in your skills."

"One day, I will destroy dragons on my whim," the Thayvian snapped, "but for now... (What is the saying? Ah, yes.) Discretion is the better part of valour!"

"And what would you know of valour?" Anomen scoffed. "Your pale and thin skin is all that is important to you, and we are all more than aware of that fact."

"Do not address me in such a manner, fool! I am only concerned with our lives in the presence of an ancient force that you could NEVER understand!"

Valygar raised his hands. "Quiet. You are correct, mage. We cannot deal with a dragon. We will seek another path, if we can."

"(Hmpf!)" Edwin crossed his arms and glared triumphantly at the cleric.

"Minsc is not afraid of dragons, but Boo thinks this is a good idea, and Minsc listens to Boo," Minsc said, nodding sagely.

"The temple has many paths, and we only followed a few of them," Mazzy said. "I can guide you, and I am ready to fight with you, if you will have me," Mazzy said.

Ember smiled at the halfling. "Of course! We'd be happy to have you with us."

"Then we shall travel together as companions. With Arvoreen's blessing, our partnership shall be a fruitful one!"

----

The shadows had taken Mazzy's weapons - a short sword and a short bow, both blessed by her god Arvoreen - and placed them on a very high ledge just outside her cell. It was far too high for the halfling to reach, but for Minsc, it was no problem at all, and he retrieved the weapons while Anomen showed her the ring he'd taken from the dead man in the forest.

"I'm sorry," Mazzy said, shaking her head. "I don't recognize the ring, and he was not of our group. We thought we were alone in the forest."

Once Mazzy was reequipped, they went in search of the chamber that held the lightsource the group had seen outside. With Yoshimo in the lead, searching dilligently for tricks and traps, they moved slowly through dusty corridors and past empty rooms, abandoned several lifetimes ago. Ember was astounded by the size of the place, especially because the rooms and corridors they passed through were merely the remains of the basement level of the temple. Its main hall must have been larger than any temple in Athkatla, she mused. She remembered learning about the old sun god Amaunator back in Candlekeep. He had been one of the most important gods in this region and in Netheril, but when the Netherese empire was destroyed, a lot of his followers had died. His power had waned, his remaining followers had left him, and eventually, the god himself had died, all but forgotten. She glanced at a mural of Amaunator's holy symbol, a round disk that must have once been golden, and a sadness came over her. He used to be so important. Now, nobody remembers him, and his temple is being desecrated by darkness.

Ember turned towards Valygar. "You've encountered something like this shade lord before, you said?"

"Yes. I told you of Lavok; he owed his long life to a demon, which was bound to his blood and demanded the flesh of his relatives... much like how this shade lord requires new bodies. The lives of dozens of my relatives was stolen by that foul magical symbiote," Valygar said. "Eventually, Lavok came to regret his actions, and built the sphere to remove the demon from his family. When he set out to explore the planes, he 'accidentally' erased the settings that would return the sphere to its home. It took the demon five hundred years to locate Faerun again."

"How do you know all this?"

"When we defeated Lavok, the demon died a few moments before he himself did. With his last breath, he told me the truth." Valygar sighed. "I have destroyed the blight of my ancestor, but now I find myself facing the same problem once again. Sometimes... sometimes I believe that my life is so caught up with magic that there will never be an escape from its foul presence."

"I think I know what you mean," Ember said.

The group continued onwards, passing several more chambers, ranging in size from storage cupboards and water closets to halls large enough to comfortably house twenty men. All of them were empty, containing neither furniture nor enemies. "Too easy," Yoshimo muttered as he peered through a half collapsed doorway. "We should have seen more signs of our shadowy friends. I do not like it."

"I, for one, relish their absence," Mazzy said. "I doubt it will last long."

Beyond a certain point, the corridor took several sharp turns. It was no longer lined by a myriad of rooms, and the corridor walls were far more elaborately decorated than before. Ember felt her heart beat just a little bit faster as they followed the corridor through its twists and turns, Yoshimo scouting ahead around each bend before the rest followed. Whatever it was that lay ahead, it had to be something more important than the rooms they'd passed so far!

A clattering sound, like a collapsing pile of firewood, came from the next room, accompanied by a shout in Kara-Turan that sounded like it had to be a curse. The clattering continued even as Yoshimo rushed back to the rest of the group, his face white as a sheet. "We have company," he gasped.

Crashing and clanking, a massive figure lurched around the corner behind Yoshimo. It was a skeleton, so tall that it had to stoop to avoid hitting its massive head on the ceiling, and it looked like nothing Ember had ever seen before, with an ogre-like head, long, massive legs, a small yet sturdy ribcage and extremely long arms that ended in bony scythes rather than hands.

"A bone golem!" Valygar cried.

"Minsc needs a bigger sword," Minsc said meekly.

The golem fell upon them with ferocious strength, knocking Yoshimo off his feet with a well-placed kick, then lashing out with one of its cruel scythes at Edwin. The wizard crumpled to the ground, his belly cut open.

Ember kneeled beside Edwin as the others charged the golem. He was trying to say something, but nothing came out of his mouth except a bloody foam. She quickly used her Bhaalspawn gift to heal the worst of the cut, then chanted several healing prayers over him, gradually closing the gaping wound.

"My blade is no use against it," Yoshimo said, leaning over her shoulder. "Let me help him! Maybe the quick blow of a staff will be more useful against that bag of bones. Here, Edwin, take some healing potion."

The wizard grumbled something in Thayvian, but gladly accepted the flask of healing potion from Yoshimo. Ember got to her feet and grabbed her staff. It was as Yoshimo'd said: Valygar and Mazzy were barely scratching the golem with their blades, and had to settle for distracting it while Minsc and Anomen tried to break it. She raised her staff and swung at one of the oddly assembled elbows. There were several cuts in the bone already - Minsc's work - and the bone creaked under the force of her blow. Mazzy moved under it, aiming cuts at its legs that would have cut tendons if it'd had it, and earned herself a kick that sent her rolling several feet down the corridor.

"For glory!" Anomen shouted, and struck at the injured elbow with his war hammer. The bone splintered, and the scythe broke off.

"Well done!" Valygar shouted, earning himself a blow from the remaining scythe that would have killed him if he hadn't been able to twist out of the way of the edge. Instead, it only gave him a deep cut in the shoulder.

A fire spell hurtled over their heads and splashed against the golem's skull without even singeing it. In the corner, Edwin cursed.

"Come to Minsc! He is not afraid of your bony evil!" Minsc shouted at the golem. The creature lunged at him, but he smoothly ducked the remaining scythe and hacked at its shoulder. Ember followed his example, striking only at the places where Minsc had done some damage to the bones. It landed a kick on her, then bore down on her with its scythe; as she rolled away, she noticed a crooked spot in the middle of its spine where two different skeletons had been fused together.

"Attack the spine!" she shouted. Minsc obeyed, earning himself several cuts and kicks, but he relentlessly hacked at the bone junction. Ember struck at the limbs, trying to distract it from the giant ranger...

With a happy roar, Minsc rammed his blade in between the bones of the spine, and jiggled it. The golem's spine ripped apart like a string of pearls, and the golem collapsed in a pile of disassembled bones.

Minsc beamed, seemingly not even noticing his injuries. "Did you see that, Boo?" he said. "Minsc didn't need a bigger sword after all!"

Then, he passed out.

#2 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:38 AM

"Foolish mortals!" one of the largest shadows hissed. "You shall not free the master's consort!"

Theo: Well, if I had known what she was like, I’d have probably listened to the shadow’s advice. :wink:

Fighting that many undead was like nothing Ember had ever experienced before. The skeletons did not stop unless they they were broken to pieces, and the shadows were only dispersed by what would have been killing blows on humans; darkness could not be bruised, and the shadows' skin, if they could be said to have that, resealed around any lesser cuts within moments. The ghostly claws and fangs of the shadows were everywhere, biting and tearing and pulling, and the only sound the skeletons made was the dry creaking of bone against bone as they swung their swords. The battlefield felt a lot like a nightmare, and that feeling was only compounded when Edwin lost his magelight; after that, the room was only lit by the red glow of the wizard's fire spells and the occasional glimmer of bluish white whenever she or Anomen had to pause to heal someone.

Bah, no conveniently placed glowing fungi on the walls? Say it isn’t so! :D

*sighs*

"And you shall have it," Valygar said. He and Minsc immediately set to work at removing the planks, and before long, a dishevelled-looking halfling woman emerged from the cell. She was dressed in a stained suit of chainmail, and her dirt-smudged face was surrounded by a mass of short, reddish brown curls. If Ember were to guess, Mazzy was five to ten years older than herself.

Isn’t that something hard to estimate, not being a halfling yourself? :)

"He did not mean it in the conventional sense. He is not a creature of this plane and must possess a body, feeding on its life, in order to remain here. He inhabits Merella, now... and planned to use my own body once Merella grows weak, I suspect."

Stupid Shade Lord. Hate him for not using Mazzy first.

"Did you completely forget about his dragon?!" Edwin asked. "We are nowhere near being able to handle something like that! (Much as I hate to admit it.)"

Well, you could always tame it, as I’m sure you’ve dreamed about. :wink:

"Minsc is not afraid of dragons, but Boo thinks this is a good idea, and Minsc listens to Boo," Minsc said, nodding sagely.

Anomen should, too.

"Then we shall travel together as companions. With Arvoreen's blessing, our partnership shall be a fruitful one!"

Fruitful and short one, we hope. :D

Ember was astounded by the size of the place, especially because the rooms and corridors they passed through were merely the remains of the basement level of the temple. Its main hall must have been larger than any temple in Athkatla, she mused. She remembered learning about the old sun god Amaunator back in Candlekeep. He had been one of the most important gods in this region and in Netheril, but when the Netherese empire was destroyed, a lot of his followers had died. His power had waned, his remaining followers had left him, and eventually, the god himself had died, all but forgotten.

It certainly is an interesting part of the lore, and well worked in here. :(

"When we defeated Lavok, the demon died a few moments before he himself did. With his last breath, he told me the truth." Valygar sighed. "I have destroyed the blight of my ancestor, but now I find myself facing the same problem once again. Sometimes... sometimes I believe that my life is so caught up with magic that there will never be an escape from its foul presence."

I think magic would be generally very hard to avoid, given the world they live in. :D

Crashing and clanking, a massive figure lurched around the corner behind Yoshimo. It was a skeleton, so tall that it had to stoop to avoid hitting its massive head on the ceiling, and it looked like nothing Ember had ever seen before, with an ogre-like head, long, massive legs, a small yet sturdy ribcage and extremely long arms that ended in bony scythes rather than hands.

Eeek, those were really heavy hitters.

Of course… if you come to Temple of Amaunator later in the game, after Spellhold, you meet a few liches here, instead of just bone golems. :lol:

Ember kneeled beside Edwin as the others charged the golem. He was trying to say something, but nothing came out of his mouth except a bloody foam. She quickly used her Bhaalspawn gift to heal the worst of the cut, then chanted several healing prayers over him, gradually closing the gaping wound.

Gah! Stoneskin!

Minsc beamed, seemingly not even noticing his injuries. "Did you see that, Boo?" he said. "Minsc didn't need a bigger sword after all!"

Then, he passed out.

Wheee! Though, I think about now would be a good time for rest. :)

#3 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:40 PM

The next chamber was significantly larger, and far more populated. A dozen or so shade wolves were silently padding around between the sooted pillars that held up the ceiling, and the moment the group entered the room, several large shadow creatures and a pair of skeletons, holding massive broadswords in their bony hands, rushed in from an adjoining chamber.

That is what they all say...

Nice description of the shadows here.

"Your grace," the voice replied, "I am Mazzy Fentan, Truesword of Arvoreen and a valiant servant of justice and righteousness. As you can see, I could use your assistance."

Ohh... It is Mazzy!

The group introduced themselves, and Mazzy shook each one's hand in turn with a surprisingly firm grip.

Well she is a holy warrior and everything. They have to have firm handshakes.

The shadows had taken Mazzy's weapons - a short sword and a short bow, both blessed by her god Arvoreen - and placed them on a very high ledge just outside her cell. It was far too high for the halfling to reach, but for Minsc, it was no problem at all, and he retrieved the weapons while Anomen showed her the ring he'd taken from the dead man in the forest.

That is just kind of mean you know. Putting something so high up that the halfling can`t reach it.

Good thing that it is about the only place they appear.

:wink:

Then, he passed out.

Now he needs a healer though...

#4 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:00 PM

Theo: Well, if I had known what she was like, I’d have probably listened to the shadow’s advice. :)

As it happens, I rather like Mazzy :)

Bah, no conveniently placed glowing fungi on the walls? Say it isn’t so! :P

Nope, no fungi.

*sighs*

:P

Isn’t that something hard to estimate, not being a halfling yourself? :D

Considering that she spent a couple months travelling with a halfling (Alora) and also trained for a few weeks in a halfling village, you mean?

Stupid Shade Lord. Hate him for not using Mazzy first.

If he had, you might have disliked Merella as much as you dislike Mazzy...

Well, you could always tame it, as I’m sure you’ve dreamed about. :(

Edwin: Taming is too much work. Summoning, on the other hand...

Fruitful and short one, we hope. :D

We'll see!

Ember was astounded by the size of the place, especially because the rooms and corridors they passed through were merely the remains of the basement level of the temple. Its main hall must have been larger than any temple in Athkatla, she mused. She remembered learning about the old sun god Amaunator back in Candlekeep. He had been one of the most important gods in this region and in Netheril, but when the Netherese empire was destroyed, a lot of his followers had died. His power had waned, his remaining followers had left him, and eventually, the god himself had died, all but forgotten.

It certainly is an interesting part of the lore, and well worked in here. :D

I think magic would be generally very hard to avoid, given the world they live in. :P

You can't blame a guy for trying, though.

Eeek, those were really heavy hitters.

Oh yeah.

Of course… if you come to Temple of Amaunator later in the game, after Spellhold, you meet a few liches here, instead of just bone golems. :D

:wink:

Gah! Stoneskin!

You know, I tend to completely forget he has access to that :lol: (Therefore, so does he :wink: )

Then, he passed out.

Wheee! Though, I think about now would be a good time for rest. :D

I have a feeling my party will agree :)

#5 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:03 PM

That is what they all say...

When they speak at all, at least.

Nice description of the shadows here.

Ohh... It is Mazzy!

*Dramatic drumroll*

Well she is a holy warrior and everything. They have to have firm handshakes.

Oh, absolutely. Mazzy is nothing if not In Control.

That is just kind of mean you know. Putting something so high up that the halfling can`t reach it.

Which is exactly why they did it.

Good thing that it is about the only place they appear.

Oh yeah. It's especially annoying when the bone golem hears fighting in, say, the lava room and comes running to join whatever else you're up against :wink:

Then, he passed out.

Now he needs a healer though...

Thankfully, he has two in his group :lol:

#6 Guest_Antheros_*

Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:43 PM

Foolish shadow...

The undead creatures were far stronger than the ones in the forest had been; Anomen was able to destroy the shade wolves and repel the smallest of the shadows, but the larger shadows and the skeletons only flinched slightly, then kept coming. With a loud, disgusted grumble, the Helmite hefted his war hammer and started attacking the skeletons.

One's always stronger when playing at home. :wink:

"Who goes there?" Valygar asked, and carefully moved towards the voice. A doorway in the corner had been boarded up with roughly hewn planks, and a small, gauntleted hand waved at them from a gap near the bottom.

Yay! Mazzy!

"I was. She led us here to discover the source of the evil that has befallen the area." Mazzy sighed. "A source which became abundantly clear when it slaughtered my companions."

"No. Not yet."

She surely regrets it, at this time...

Is this a flicke of incertitude in your voice, Eddie? Does this mean there are limits to your (over)confidence?

"Yes. A shadow dragon. It struck us down as he watched and laughed. Then... then he took the life force of my friends and turned them to members of his cursed army." The halfling's voice wavered. "Merella and I were the only ones left standing. I would gladly have sold my life with my friends, but the Shade Lord would not let his dragon kill us. His new consorts, he called us."

"Consorts?" Yoshimo asked. "What manner of undead spirit could require consorts?"

Sounds gross, uh?

"You surprise me, mage," Valygar said. "I would not have expected you to admit to a limit in your skills."

Me neither!

Yeah, those don't even have a butt to kick! :lol:

The golem fell upon them with ferocious strength, knocking Yoshimo off his feet with a well-placed kick, then lashing out with one of its cruel scythes at Edwin. The wizard crumpled to the ground, his belly cut open.

A wizard in a dungeon without a stoneskin? Eddie, I'm disappointed! :wink:

"For glory!" Anomen shouted, and struck at the injured elbow with his war hammer. The bone splintered, and the scythe broke off.

"Well done!" Valygar shouted, earning himself a blow from the remaining scythe that would have killed him if he hadn't been able to twist out of the way of the edge. Instead, it only gave him a deep cut in the shoulder.

Alittle concentration on what you're doing here, man!

A fire spell hurtled over their heads and splashed against the golem's skull without even singeing it. In the corner, Edwin cursed.

Uh, did he forget that golems are immune to magic?

Then, he passed out.

That's a true berserker for you, totally lost to the joy of battle!

#7 Guest_IronDragon_*

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:12 AM

I finally got caught up with your story, I was several months behind. I wish i could have been commenting all along, I know how good you are about that but I don’t seem to be able to manage my time in that very well

Great chapter as always. I enjoyed the introduction of Mazzy. I think she is a great character and used far too infrequently in storylines and as such I hope she gets to stick around.

#8 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 14 November 2007 - 04:10 PM

Foolish shadow...

What, for giving the game away?

One's always stronger when playing at home. :)

True, that.

Yay! Mazzy!

"No. Not yet."

She surely regrets it, at this time...

Most likely, yes :D

Is this a flicke of incertitude in your voice, Eddie? Does this mean there are limits to your (over)confidence?

Have you ever seen his in-game dialogues regarding Firkraag? He most certainly does not want to go head to head with a dragon at that stage in the game :D

Sounds gross, uh?

Oh yes.

Me neither!

Edwin: ;) (One does not attain greatness through acts of extreme folly.)

Yeah, those don't even have a butt to kick! :)

I never thought of it that way :)

A wizard in a dungeon without a stoneskin? Eddie, I'm disappointed! :shock:

To be honest, this is partially because I've never used the spell in game (my mages tend to not get hit too often), and partially because I find the spell a bit cheesy, at least this early on. I'm only loosely following the spell structure of the game, anyway.

Alittle concentration on what you're doing here, man!

He survived, didn't he?

Uh, did he forget that golems are immune to magic?

Again, liberties with the spell system, combined with me not being actively aware that golem = immune Think of it as him verifying that he can't damage it, if it helps :( (I intended this to be 'look how badass the bone golem is', otherwise I would have let him cast a magic missile on the thing :D )

Then, he passed out.

That's a true berserker for you, totally lost to the joy of battle!

Yep, that's our Minsc.

#9 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 14 November 2007 - 04:12 PM

I finally got caught up with your story, I was several months behind. I wish i could have been commenting all along, I know how good you are about that but I don’t seem to be able to manage my time in that very well

Sporadic comments are appreciated just as much as regular ones :shock:

Great chapter as always. I enjoyed the introduction of Mazzy. I think she is a great character and used far too infrequently in storylines and as such I hope she gets to stick around.

I often have Mazzy in my party, and she should be around for a little while, at least ;)

#10 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 14 November 2007 - 06:13 PM

Raven: (Pats the 40 mm. grenade launcher attached to the underside of her rifle barrel.) "So... any of you bozos wanna see how animated shadows react to incendiary grenades?" :shock:

Harlequin: (Grins wickedly) "Fire. In. The Hole."

With a loud, disgusted grumble, the Helmite hefted his war hammer and started attacking the skeletons.

When in doubt, swing harder. :)

The battlefield felt a lot like a nightmare, and that feeling was only compounded when Edwin lost his magelight; after that, the room was only lit by the red glow of the wizard's fire spells and the occasional glimmer of bluish white whenever she or Anomen had to pause to heal someone.

Harlequin: (Shivers a bit) "Thank God for night vision goggles."

Raven: (Gulps) "Yeah."

If Ember were to guess, Mazzy was five to ten years older than herself.

Harlequin: (Grins) "Hard to tell sometimes. She's so short. Isn't that right, Short-Round?"

Mazzy: (Glares)

Harlequin: (Snickers and kneels down next to her, putting an arm around her) "I tease because I love."

Mazzy: "Yes, I've heard that before. I still don't quite believe it."

She -is- a paladin. (In all but name, if you ask me.) And tough as nails to boot. :)

I rather like the little lass. But then again, I like paladins. As long as they're not the stupid kind. Also, I like Jennifer Hale's voice. :)

"Merella and I were the only ones left standing. I would gladly have sold my life with my friends, but the Shade Lord would not let his dragon kill us. His new consorts, he called us."

This part of her story always got to me... Mazzy... is not the type to deal well with survivor's guilt. And while the idea of survivor's guilt is one that's used plenty often in stories, well... it still gets to me.

"And what would you know of valour?" Anomen scoffed. "Your pale and thin skin is all that is important to you, and we are all more than aware of that fact."

The man has a point.

Granted, going up against a dragon is bad news, and probably is too much for the group to handle right now, but... yeah... well, can't imagine Edwin has anything other than saving his own skin in mind.

That's just mean. :(

;)

Oh, poor Minsc...

But yeah, that's an easy way to tell things have gotten bad. When Minsc thinks he needs more firepower. :D

The wizard grumbled something in Thayvian, but gladly accepted the flask of healing potion from Yoshimo. Ember got to her feet and grabbed her staff. It was as Yoshimo'd said: Valygar and Mazzy were barely scratching the golem with their blades, and had to settle for distracting it while Minsc and Anomen tried to break it.

Imoen: (Falynn variant) "Lynn?"

Falynn: "Yeah?"

Imoen: "This would be the part where you do your magic thing and fling a whole bunch of big rocks at him."

Falynn: "Like that chunk of broken wall over there? The one as big as your head?"

Imoen: "That'd do nicely."

Then, he passed out.

Oh, Minsc. We love you so. :P

He'll be all right. He just needs a nap.

#11 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:59 AM

Raven: (Pats the 40 mm. grenade launcher attached to the underside of her rifle barrel.) "So... any of you bozos wanna see how animated shadows react to incendiary grenades?" :shock:

Harlequin: (Grins wickedly) "Fire. In. The Hole."

I like the way they think :D

With a loud, disgusted grumble, the Helmite hefted his war hammer and started attacking the skeletons.

When in doubt, swing harder. :P

Straight from the Great Book of Rashemite/aar/an Proverbs :)

She -is- a paladin. (In all but name, if you ask me.) And tough as nails to boot. :D

I rather like the little lass. But then again, I like paladins. As long as they're not the stupid kind. Also, I like Jennifer Hale's voice. :D

I'm fond of her myself. I just don't know if I can do her justice in the long run in a story :)

"Merella and I were the only ones left standing. I would gladly have sold my life with my friends, but the Shade Lord would not let his dragon kill us. His new consorts, he called us."

This part of her story always got to me... Mazzy... is not the type to deal well with survivor's guilt. And while the idea of survivor's guilt is one that's used plenty often in stories, well... it still gets to me.

:(

The man has a point.

Actually, I think they both do.

Granted, going up against a dragon is bad news, and probably is too much for the group to handle right now, but... yeah... well, can't imagine Edwin has anything other than saving his own skin in mind.

He has a little Imoen in it, too, but yes.

That's just mean. :D

;)

Then, he passed out.

Oh, Minsc. We love you so. :D

He'll be all right. He just needs a nap.

Something like that :)

#12 Guest_Phoenix_*

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:28 PM

[quote]
[size=18]
Fighting that many undead was like nothing Ember had ever experienced before. The skeletons did not stop unless they they were broken to pieces, and the shadows were only dispersed by what would have been killing blows on humans; darkness could not be bruised, and the shadows' skin, if they could be said to have that, resealed around any lesser cuts within moments. The ghostly claws and fangs of the shadows were everywhere, biting and tearing and pulling, and the only sound the skeletons made was the dry creaking of bone against bone as they swung their swords. The battlefield felt a lot like a nightmare, and that feeling was only compounded when Edwin lost his magelight; after that, the room was only lit by the red glow of the wizard's fire spells and the occasional glimmer of bluish white whenever she or Anomen had to pause to heal someone. [/quote]
Nice battle description. Horde of undead = baaad.

[quote]
"Ho, noble friends!" someone called out from the far end of the room. [/quote]
If it sounds like a paladin...

[quote]"Your grace," the voice replied, "I am Mazzy Fentan, Truesword of Arvoreen and a valiant servant of justice and righteousness. As you can see, I could use your assistance."[/quote]
...looks like a paladin...

[quote]She was dressed in a stained suit of chainmail, and her dirt-smudged face was surrounded by a mass of short, reddish brown curls. [/quote]
...and smells like a paladin....

[quote]"I was. She led us here to discover the source of the evil that has befallen the area." Mazzy sighed. "A source which became abundantly clear when it slaughtered my companions."[/quote]
...it's likely a a paladin!

[quote]Valygar lowered his head. "Merella is dead, then."

"No. Not yet."

"What do you mean?" Ember asked.[/quote]
Thanks for clearing that up. First time through the game, I didn't understand it.

[quote]"What other servants does he have?" Ember asked.

[quote]"I would gladly have sold my life with my friends, but the Shade Lord would not let his dragon kill us. [/quote]
How unfortunate.

[quote]"Consorts?" Yoshimo asked. "What manner of undead spirit could require consorts?"[/quote]
That is a very good question. Apparently shades have a different view of becoming one in spirit and flesh, so to speak...

[quote]"One day, I will destroy dragons on my whim," the Thayvian snapped, "but for now... (What is the saying? Ah, yes.) Discretion is the better part of valour!"

"And what would you know of valour?" Anomen scoffed. "Your pale and thin skin is all that is important to you, and we are all more than aware of that fact."[/quote]
Once again, your party is nicely balanced, heh.

[quote]Valygar raised his hands. "Quiet. You are correct, mage. We cannot deal with a dragon. We will seek another path, if we can."[/quote]
What?! Stop the presses, Valygar concedes to a mage and without grunting!

[quote]His power had waned, his remaining followers had left him, and eventually, the god himself had died, all but forgotten. She glanced at a mural of Amaunator's holy symbol, a round disk that must have once been golden, and a sadness came over her. He used to be so important. Now, nobody remembers him, and his temple is being desecrated by darkness.[/quote]
It's good to see that at least she cares.

[quote]

"I think I know what you mean," Ember said.[/quote]
I bet she does.

[quote]
"My blade is no use against it," Yoshimo said, leaning over her shoulder. "Let me help him! Maybe the quick blow of a staff will be more useful against that bag of bones. [/quote]
I never understood that. If you swing a sword at it hard enough it's bound to break...

[quote]"Come to Minsc! He is not afraid of your bony evil!" Minsc shouted at the golem. The creature lunged at him, but he smoothly ducked the remaining scythe and hacked at its shoulder. Ember followed his example, striking only at the places where Minsc had done some damage to the bones. It landed a kick on her, the bore down on her with its scythe; as she rolled away, she noticed a crooked spot in the middle of its spine where two different skeletons had been fused together.[/quote]
Again, nice description.

[quote]Minsc beamed, seemingly not even noticing his injuries. "Did you see that, Boo?" he said. "Minsc didn't need a bigger sword after all!"

Then, he passed out.[/quote]
Aw, Minsc :shock:

#13 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 15 November 2007 - 05:47 PM

Nice battle description. Horde of undead = baaad.

I wanted to convey it as just that, with more emphasis on the horde than on each single undead thing.

If it sounds like a paladin...

...looks like a paladin...

She was dressed in a stained suit of chainmail, and her dirt-smudged face was surrounded by a mass of short, reddish brown curls.

...and smells like a paladin....

...it's likely a a paladin!

Anomen: But... she is a halfling!!

Valygar lowered his head. "Merella is dead, then."

"No. Not yet."

"What do you mean?" Ember asked.

Thanks for clearing that up. First time through the game, I didn't understand it.

I think that on my first run through the game, I forgot that I was trying to rescue her :shock:

That is a very good question. Apparently shades have a different view of becoming one in spirit and flesh, so to speak...

Oh, absolutely ;)

"One day, I will destroy dragons on my whim," the Thayvian snapped, "but for now... (What is the saying? Ah, yes.) Discretion is the better part of valour!"

Once again, your party is nicely balanced, heh.

Edwin: (I have to carry the weight of these simians, of course)

Valygar raised his hands. "Quiet. You are correct, mage. We cannot deal with a dragon. We will seek another path, if we can."

What?! Stop the presses, Valygar concedes to a mage and without grunting!

:D

His power had waned, his remaining followers had left him, and eventually, the god himself had died, all but forgotten. She glanced at a mural of Amaunator's holy symbol, a round disk that must have once been golden, and a sadness came over her. He used to be so important. Now, nobody remembers him, and his temple is being desecrated by darkness.

It's good to see that at least she cares.

Ember: :D

"I think I know what you mean," Ember said.

I bet she does.

A slightly different kind of inescapable magic, that's all.

"My blade is no use against it," Yoshimo said, leaning over her shoulder. "Let me help him! Maybe the quick blow of a staff will be more useful against that bag of bones.

I never understood that. If you swing a sword at it hard enough it's bound to break...

Well, the sword might break instead? You might not be capable of swinging it hard enough? Besides, it's not that it's literally no use, it's that it's barely any use at all (I did a test run of this fight. Ember, Minsc and Anomen were the only ones to do significant damage to it).

"Come to Minsc! He is not afraid of your bony evil!" Minsc shouted at the golem. The creature lunged at him, but he smoothly ducked the remaining scythe and hacked at its shoulder. Ember followed his example, striking only at the places where Minsc had done some damage to the bones. It landed a kick on her, the bore down on her with its scythe; as she rolled away, she noticed a crooked spot in the middle of its spine where two different skeletons had been fused together.

Again, nice description.

(And thanks for giving me the chance to spot a typo in there :) )

Then, he passed out.

Aw, Minsc :)

He'll be fine :(

#14 Guest_CrazeeFfan_*

Posted 16 November 2007 - 12:20 PM

The beginning of that paragraph worked really well: it's created a really clear image.

That too! I loved the use of sound and sight to really make the scene come alive. And fighting in pitch darkness must be absolutely horrible.

It only makes sense, really, for Valygar to have a more major part in this quest. He seems to have slipped into position of leader while here, and I think that works really well. Especially with the backstory you've given him.

Aha! That's an interesting take on it! For some reason, I can't imagine as anythig less than a part leader.

"I have... encountered such beings before," Valygar said grimly. "We must destroy this monster."

I love this. It was really smooth and natural, and Edwin seems to see the right of it in my eyes. Can the apocalypse be far?

Oh, no. I hate these - one of my little quirks is to try and get my weaker characters to have the most "Number of Enemies Killed", and so when I send a very low-level Viconia up against one of these, or a novice Nalia, it's always painful. Heh, hopefully the group will fare better than Aerie did last time I played!

"My blade is no use against it," Yoshimo said, leaning over her shoulder. "Let me help him! Maybe the quick blow of a staff will be more useful against that bag of bones. Here, Edwin, take some healing potion."

When authors write of Yoshimo performing fancy and flashy moves, I always find it adorable. As did I here; the thought of him leaping over Ember, katana held high ... *sigh*

With a happy roar, Minsc rammed his blade in between the bones of the spine, and jiggled it. The golem's spine ripped apart like a string of pearls, and the golem collapsed in a pile of disassembled bones.

That was a brilliant little paragraph. The similie really brings the scene alive.

Then, he passed out.

Heh heh. Good one, Minsc!

#15 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 16 November 2007 - 03:02 PM

The beginning of that paragraph worked really well: it's created a really clear image.

That too! I loved the use of sound and sight to really make the scene come alive. And fighting in pitch darkness must be absolutely horrible.

I basically tried to write it the way I'd find creepy, and like a fight against masses more than against individuals.

It only makes sense, really, for Valygar to have a more major part in this quest. He seems to have slipped into position of leader while here, and I think that works really well. Especially with the backstory you've given him.

Oh, this is definitely Valygar's mission, and I intend to keep it that way until the end :roll:

Aha! That's an interesting take on it! For some reason, I can't imagine as anythig less than a part leader.

Mazzy or Merella?

Merella became the leader of this expedition due to her knowledge of the forest and this temple. Whether or not she was the leader for practical purposes, she definitely was the scout.

I love this. It was really smooth and natural, and Edwin seems to see the right of it in my eyes. Can the apocalypse be far?

Good question :lol: (Incidentally, the lines about valour were lifted from the game, albeit from a different dragon encounter :) )

Oh, no. I hate these - one of my little quirks is to try and get my weaker characters to have the most "Number of Enemies Killed", and so when I send a very low-level Viconia up against one of these, or a novice Nalia, it's always painful. Heh, hopefully the group will fare better than Aerie did last time I played!

You know, the best way for a mage to do that is to have them send fireballs into flocks of kobolds ;)

When authors write of Yoshimo performing fancy and flashy moves, I always find it adorable. As did I here; the thought of him leaping over Ember, katana held high ... *sigh*

:)

Maybe some other time :lol:

That was a brilliant little paragraph. The similie really brings the scene alive.

Thanks ;)

Then, he passed out.

Heh heh. Good one, Minsc!

Boo: *squeak!*

#16 Guest_Ananke_*

Posted 16 November 2007 - 08:45 PM

You posted, and I didn't have time to comment before, so... late as it is...

The interior of the temple was dark and musty, and showed signs of having been neglected for years, decades, maybe even centuries. The hole that Ember and her companions had used to enter the temple led to a smallish chamber that was half full of fallen rocks. There was an opening on one of the walls that looked as if it had once held a door, and beyond it lay a long, dark corridor, lined with several other doorways.

I take it that it's too dark to notice any significant architecture? :lol:

Seriously, though... I do have a bit of trouble visualising it. I take it, for example, that if the conclusion is that these are storage rooms / quarters, then the ceiling is just over the head - i.e. it's not very spacious, not like, let's say, a church? In other words, it's a small-ish, low-ish chamber, and, all in all, does look like a dungeon?

Ooh. The pillars holding up the ceiling! So it's high, after all! Or is it just only in this chamber? :) (And how do they see it? With Eddie's magelight, I take it?)

...several paragraphs on, I read the part about the basement levels. Sigh. So, it's a low ceiling, after all?

I think Edwin got the answer to his last-chapter's comment, here! (The one about what'd happen if Anomen stopped repelling the undead.)

...wonder how they did not hit each other, in that case. But I love the visuals. (Reminds me of lightsabers, a bit... I love lightsabers.)

I'm not sure why, but the paragraph does not work for me as it should, either - but this time, since I'm overly critical today, and all, I'll tell you why. It's that you mention that 'the only sound the skeletons made', but don't complete the picture with the sound the shadows made - i. e. was the fight like a nightmare because they were completely silent? (Which would be, like, totally cool.) Or was it like a nightmare because the shadows were screeching, or making noises as their claws bit/tore/pulled?

It's that I can't decide, and don't see it all, that makes me not appreciate this description as I should.

Mazzy! :) Hope you'll stay...

The best part? He will.

"I'm sorry," Mazzy said, shaking her head. "I don't recognize the ring, and he was not of our group. We thought we were alone in the forest."

Ooh. Ring! Mystery! :roll:

And I agree that your shadows certainly have a very... mean-spirited sense of humour, to do that to a halfling!

She glanced at a mural of Amaunator's holy symbol, a round disk that must have once been golden, and a sadness came over her. He used to be so important. Now, nobody remembers him, and his temple is being desecrated by darkness.

A lesson for every Bhaalspawn...

It's what Haer'Dalis tells - Edwin, I think? Or the PC? "Do you remember the name of the ancient Netherese god of the sea? No?"

Oh. There really is a lot of fighting in this chapter.

;)

:lol:

:? But I still think I preferred the first fight. I think that it's because this one was too long - in particular, the long healing scene in the middle of the fight makes me think, 'and what was the golem doing then?' And the way Mazzy blinked in and out... sigh.

...but, hey. I'm certainly not the best person to criticise full-party fights, never having managed to write a good one myself. ;)

Loved the chapter. :)

#17 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 17 November 2007 - 03:26 PM

I take it that it's too dark to notice any significant architecture? :)

Pretty much, yes :D

Seriously, though... I do have a bit of trouble visualising it. I take it, for example, that if the conclusion is that these are storage rooms / quarters, then the ceiling is just over the head - i.e. it's not very spacious, not like, let's say, a church? In other words, it's a small-ish, low-ish chamber, and, all in all, does look like a dungeon?

Ceiling isn't low, but it's not as high as the main chamber of a church would be. It's high enough that Minsc is comfortable, but probably not much more.

Ooh. The pillars holding up the ceiling! So it's high, after all! Or is it just only in this chamber? :) (And how do they see it? With Eddie's magelight, I take it?)

Even low ceilings need pillars if they are large :)

And yes to Edwin's magelight.

...several paragraphs on, I read the part about the basement levels. Sigh. So, it's a low ceiling, after all?

See above. Ceiling of respectable height, as this is, after all, the basement level of what was once a spectacular temple. It had quarters, storage, kitchens, diningrooms...

I think Edwin got the answer to his last-chapter's comment, here! (The one about what'd happen if Anomen stopped repelling the undead.)

...wonder how they did not hit each other, in that case. But I love the visuals. (Reminds me of lightsabers, a bit... I love lightsabers.)

Let's just say that it was a large room and that Edwin threw a lot of little fire spells :) (I take liberties with the game's spell structure)

I'm not sure why, but the paragraph does not work for me as it should, either - but this time, since I'm overly critical today, and all, I'll tell you why. It's that you mention that 'the only sound the skeletons made', but don't complete the picture with the sound the shadows made - i. e. was the fight like a nightmare because they were completely silent? (Which would be, like, totally cool.) Or was it like a nightmare because the shadows were screeching, or making noises as their claws bit/tore/pulled?

It's that I can't decide, and don't see it all, that makes me not appreciate this description as I should.

I struggled with that paragraph for 5 days, and somewhere along the way, the silence of the ghosts was cut. How about if they were to bite and tear and pull in perfect silence/without a sound?

Mazzy! :D Hope you'll stay...

We'll see :? (I love her, but I don't think I can do her justice as a permanent party member. She'll stay a while, though!)

The best part? He will.

Oh, absolutely.

Ooh. Ring! Mystery! :)

And I agree that your shadows certainly have a very... mean-spirited sense of humour, to do that to a halfling!

All part of the Shade Lord's plan to break down her will before their union! or something like that.

She glanced at a mural of Amaunator's holy symbol, a round disk that must have once been golden, and a sadness came over her. He used to be so important. Now, nobody remembers him, and his temple is being desecrated by darkness.

A lesson for every Bhaalspawn...

Which is a tiny part of why it affects her. Most of it is normal type sadness.

It's what Haer'Dalis tells - Edwin, I think? Or the PC? "Do you remember the name of the ancient Netherese god of the sea? No?"

I don't think I've ever seen that line (I'm not a Haer'Dalis person).

Oh. There really is a lot of fighting in this chapter.

Yep :P More than I originally intended, actually...

:D

...because when I first posted the story, it ended here :P

(In other words, the golem battle was written as a 20-minute, on the fly, edit of the post :D )

I considered letting it cut up Yoshimo first, but decided Edwin was a more worthy target (and one that brought me a lot of comments about Stoneskin) :D

:D But I still think I preferred the first fight. I think that it's because this one was too long - in particular, the long healing scene in the middle of the fight makes me think, 'and what was the golem doing then?' And the way Mazzy blinked in and out... sigh.

...but, hey. I'm certainly not the best person to criticise full-party fights, never having managed to write a good one myself. :)

I was just happy that I managed to write a reasonably cohesive fight in twenty minutes before going to work :P
The healing scene is there because it was an excuse to not have to write fight stuff at that moment, and I think I'll give Mazzy a dislocated shoulder for the aftermath. Chalk the rest of it up to the fight being Ember-perspective and her not paying attention to everything.

(The thing that stands out for me? I didn't explicitly mention Anomen stopping to heal Valygar)

Loved the chapter. :)

#18 Guest_Ananke_*

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:41 AM

Ceiling isn't low, but it's not as high as the main chamber of a church would be. It's high enough that Minsc is comfortable, but probably not much more.

See above. Ceiling of respectable height, as this is, after all, the basement level of what was once a spectacular temple. It had quarters, storage, kitchens, diningrooms...

OK. Another strange question, then: does Minsc have to bow his head when he's moving through doors? Because I can almost connect this with a mental image of a generic Gothic cathedral / abbey crypt, now-- Is this what you mean?

Also, I forgot to add, and I feel this needs to be added: having recently been forced to attempt and make sense of this same temple... I certainly must admire the 'living quarters' / 'cellars' idea!

Let's just say that it was a large room and that Edwin threw a lot of little fire spells :) (I take liberties with the game's spell structure)

Melf's Meteors? Perhaps they auto-target, too... :P

The ghostly claws and fangs of the shadows were everywhere, biting and tearing and pulling, and the only sound the skeletons made was the dry creaking of bone against bone as they swung their swords.

I struggled with that paragraph for 5 days, and somewhere along the way, the silence of the ghosts was cut. How about if they were to bite and tear and pull in perfect silence/without a sound?

Hmm. Now that I think of it further... The thing is, the silence of the ghosts is slightly implied in that Ember hears the sounds the skeletons make at all - that's what made me think of the possibility, after all! Well: in this, plus all those loose associations of 'like a ghost = without a sound', and also 'chasing shadows', 'stealth fighters'-- all this 'silently striking out of the darkness, hitting and returning to the darkness' stuff which also goes with the Shadow Thieves and Stalkers in my mind. It was actually when I tried to divorce your text from my private notions, left after my story, perhaps, that I discovered that - well, you actually didn't write that the ghosts were silent! So, they might not be.

So, I forfeit. Either it was a stroke of genius, to omit what everyone already knows - the 'ghosts are silent' part - and just imply it, and let your reader's mind paint the picture on its own: after all, I'm the only one complaining here :) - or you've overedited and cut out an important part. Your call. :)

[Aside]always [/i]'screeching' there, while I intended them to be generally silent, and the screeching was supposed to stand out-- As in: and now, the ghosts actually were not silent-- Weird.]

I don't think I've ever seen that line (I'm not a Haer'Dalis person).

To quote Princess Leia: He has his moments. Not many of them, but he has them.

I love him when he manages to scrape up enough empathy to advise the PC to remain human, because 'gods die a death more final than any human', as he puts it. I may be pathetic, but at that point, I always think that--well. He Cares. :)

Yep :? More than I originally intended, actually...

...because when I first posted the story, it ended here :)

(In other words, the golem battle was written as a 20-minute, on the fly, edit of the post :D )

Ah... I've been wondering that. It felt, a bit, as if the chapter were drawing to an end here. Must be the :) effect of these two lines. :)

#19 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:12 PM

OK. Another strange question, then: does Minsc have to bow his head when he's moving through doors? Because I can almost connect this with a mental image of a generic Gothic cathedral / abbey crypt, now-- Is this what you mean?

Pretty much, yes. I think it's large enough for both Minsc and bone golems to move without hitting their heads, so a bit more spacious than your average abbey crypt.

Also, I forgot to add, and I feel this needs to be added: having recently been forced to attempt and make sense of this same temple... I certainly must admire the 'living quarters' / 'cellars' idea!

I should have some more design variations if the next chapter ever decides to allow itself to be written :shock:

Let's just say that it was a large room and that Edwin threw a lot of little fire spells :roll: (I take liberties with the game's spell structure)

Melf's Meteors? Perhaps they auto-target, too... :P

So, I forfeit. Either it was a stroke of genius, to omit what everyone already knows - the 'ghosts are silent' part - and just imply it, and let your reader's mind paint the picture on its own: after all, I'm the only one complaining here :shock: - or you've overedited and cut out an important part. Your call. :evil:

I think I'll just leave it as it is :)

[Aside]always [/i]'screeching' there, while I intended them to be generally silent, and the screeching was supposed to stand out-- As in: and now, the ghosts actually were not silent-- Weird.]

Well, I had a shadow wolf howl in the previous chapter...

I love him when he manages to scrape up enough empathy to advise the PC to remain human, because 'gods die a death more final than any human', as he puts it. I may be pathetic, but at that point, I always think that--well. He Cares. :)

In his own special way :D

(In other words, the golem battle was written as a 20-minute, on the fly, edit of the post :P )

Ah... I've been wondering that. It felt, a bit, as if the chapter were drawing to an end here. Must be the :wink: effect of these two lines. :P

I just couldn't stand to slog through the fight as the beginning of the next chapter when I might possibly end the next chapter with yet another 'hey, fight coming up' cliffhanger. And who am I to argue with a quarter of a chapter that decides to write itself?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com