Reclaiming (Maiyn) - Chapter 38

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 14 December 2006 - 08:52 AM

Seafaring

-----------------------

Maiyn leaned over the railing, looking down at the frothy sea as it swirled around the ship, waves cascading against the hull. She'd never been on a boat before and she'd adapted to it quite well, unlike some of her companions.

Xan was refusing to leave his cabin. He was being sick, quite frequently. Maiyn had tried to keep him company, but he'd requested she leave when she'd asked him how he was going to manage to get to Evermeet, if he ever wanted to, when he couldn't abide seafaring.

Minsc was also holed up in his cabin -- poor Boo was not enjoying the unsteady surfaces beneath his feet, or beneath the berserker's feet, and was looking a little groggy. Lilarcor could be heard shouting furiously about being cooped up with nothing to slay until Minsc managed to ram him into his pack, muffling the noise somewhat.

Jaheira and Kivan were frequently seen conversing quietly together. They made no effort to stop whenever Maiyn approached, but she could tell by their subtle changes in body language that the topic of discussion had been altered; they didn't want her knowing what they spoke of, but nor did they want her knowing that they had a secret. She decided to leave them be; she was probably happier not knowing what was on their minds.

Anomen was unable to stay still -- he wasn't as sick as Xan, but he did admit to a queasy feeling and he was unable to remain at peace, usually prowling around the decks, trying to think of something to do to take his mind off everything. Yoshimo and Sime would be secreted away together; it hadn't taken long for the Kara-Tuan to flash his winning smile and offer to exchange 'picking tips'. They were slowly becoming inseparable, though the ranger wasn't sure how deep their friendship went.

She sighed to herself and gazed to the horizon, in the direction of Athkatla. The city was completely out of sight now, even for her vision, and she felt a pang of regret that she couldn't place; like she'd left something behind. She went through her mind, ticking off their tasks in her head; Yoshimo had gone to pick up the armour as the rest walked to the ship and returned with it much to Jaheira's delight. Kivan had dropped off the teddy bear as they passed the small boy's grave, on their way to Bodhi's lair. He was sure it would be found by the child, and Maiyn had nodded her approval. Both of the rangers would have preferred to ensure it passed safely to the ghost, but time was not on their side; they did what they could, however, and prayed for peace for his soul.

As they'd stood at the grave together, the others waiting up by the entrance to the crypt, Maiyn had heard Kivan's soft mumbling. She'd started suddenly as she realised what he was saying; no longer were his words directed to Shevarash; instead his softly spoken voice was offered to Sehanine Moonbow, the Daughter of the Night Skies. She had been unable to keep her look of amazement from her face, and when he was finished he'd turned to look at her, smiling softly.

"Vengeance is done," he had said simply. "Shevarash allowed me to move on, and the Lady of Dreams accepted my call. Come now -- we have work to do."

They'd then moved on swiftly and she hadn't had the chance to tell him how happy she was for him; but she felt that he already knew. The changes in him were subtle, but there -- he no longer avoided the company of the group and he was learning how to smile once more. A sadness remained in his eyes that would stay there, she was sure, until he was reunited with his beloved Deheriana in Arvanaith -- but his intention to join her before his natural time had gone. His duty was now to seeing out the tale that his fate had entwined him in, and doing what he could to ensure Maiyn did not succumb to her taint.

She stood up, now bored with the repetitive motions of the sea. Slowly she stalked towards the hatch, deciding to return to her cabin for a while. She passed the ship's captain, a man named Saemon Havarian, and he smiled warmly to her.

"It's a glorious day to be astride the writhing body of the sea," he proclaimed grandly to her with a wink.

"Er, yes, indeed," she said hastily, ducking through the hatch, and wandering to the cabin she was sharing with Jaheira and Sime. She passed the young Shadow Thief on the way, and was about to say hello when she also spotted Yoshimo standing beside her, their faces locked together in an embrace. Maiyn smirked slightly, and quietly wandered past, entering her room and lying down on her bed. They had several days worth of travel to get through -- it looked as if some of the companions would enjoy it more than others.

She'd only been resting for a few minutes when there was a knock at the door. She called for whoever it was to enter and smiled up to Anomen as he hesitantly entered the room, perching on the edge of Sime's bed.

"Are you feeling any better?" she asked him, trying not to smile too much; he looked as if he'd perked up slightly.

"I am, thank you, my lady," he said with a nod. "I came to see if... well, if you were all right?"

Maiyn propped herself up on her elbows, and raised an eyebrow. "Me? Why wouldn't I be?"

Anomen sighed slightly. "You have been... looking quite melancholy since we left Athkatla -- we all expected you to be happy and excited and we were worried that... that something was perhaps on your mind?"

She shook her head. "No... I did feel... strange when we left, but perhaps I'd just grown more attached to the place than I originally believed. I am happy to be on the way to find Imoen, believe me. I guess I'm just not showing it yet, because we've still got a bit to go..." Her voice trailed off.

"And you're worried how she will be?"

Maiyn nodded sadly. "When they said that there'd been little contact from the island, I began worrying... what if... well, you can imagine. I need to get there, to get to her -- I know we're on our way, but it feels painfully slow."

The knight looked at her sympathetically. "I am sure she will be fine, my lady," he said soothingly. "And we will be there before you know it. It won't be long until you see the Lady Imoen, and we are all determined to free her from the unjust imprisonment she's found herself in."

The ranger smiled her thanks. "It means a lot to me to have such loyal companions," she said sincerely.

Anomen stood and returned her smile. "I will leave you to rest now. If you wish to speak at any point, I will be... well, somewhere onboard."

Maiyn chuckled as he left, then rolled over and closed her eyes, allowing herself to drift off into reverie, the gentle rocking of the boat enticing her into relaxation.

-----------------------

The darkness seemed to swirl around, then slowly focused. It was almost suffocating to begin with, but slowly it brightened -- just enough for her to make out her surroundings. Ahead of them lay the ruins of a city, crumbling buildings that hadn't seen life in an age. A desolate feeling hung in the air, and the emotion emanating from her companions was thick and brutal. Above all else, there was fear.

Somewhere in the distance rose a taller building -- this one wasn't ruined, its walls were still intact, and its sloping roof was glowing with an unnatural aura that cast a light across much of the cavern. It was at that structure that they all gazed; they all knew their path led to it. Yet no one moved, and no one spoke until Maiyn managed to raise a shaky hand and point to it.

"The temple," she whispered. The trepidation grew.

To her right, Jaheira was being held by Khalid. The druid was trembling slightly; a rare show of weakness on her normally strong and confident character. The Harpers both knew what they faced, and they knew the chance of their success. But they needed to try; for Gorion's memory, and for Maiyn's continued existence. They drew strength from each other, murmuring soft words of encouragement and love to each other, oblivious to the others.

Behind them towered Minsc. The berserker's eyes were scouring the cavern, having looked at the temple for long enough. In one hand he held Boo, allowing the hamster to also survey his surroundings. His other hand was holding Dynaheir's tightly; the small protective gesture speaking volumes about his loyalty to his witch.

Her eyes were still on the temple; fear and horror danced in her eyes. Her free hand was playing nervously with a tassel on her robes; a far cry from the usual cool and composed mage. Slowly she turned to meet Maiyn's gaze and offered only the smallest of nods. She took a deep breath, then closed her eyes, focusing all her efforts into regaining her steadiness.

The ranger turned and looked to her left. Yeslick stood in the middle of Alora and Imoen, an arm around each of the girl's waists. She could hear his usually gruff voice, gentle and quiet, offering words of encouragement and inspiration, telling them to be brave. Imoen was pale; paler than Maiyn had ever seen her before. She was transfixed by the building, unable to look away from it -- the ranger didn't even know if her sister could hear Yeslick's words.

Alora was shaking uncontrollably; the little thief that they'd discovered in the Hall of Wonders, who had resolutely stuck by them despite the growing dangers, and despite there being no personal involvement for herself. She was looking at the ground, the vision of their destination being too much for her to observe. Her hands fidgeted with her bow shakily.

Just past them stood Kivan and Xan, side by side, as had become their natural places. Kivan's face was an emotionless mask, his stoic expression completely impassive as he regarded what lay before them. His eyes drifted over the temple, but there was no change to his demeanour; even knowing that Tazok was within, the ranger was controlled and prepared. He had waited a long time to seek his vengeance; a few more minutes wasn't affecting him in the slightest.

Xan looked resigned. He had the air of someone who was beckoning death to his side, preparing for a personal meeting. His hands trembled as he sorted through his components pouch, his eyes fixed firmly to the contents. He had been the only person to cry out when they entered the cave; a pained exclamation, a grudging acceptance that they neared the end. Only his loyalty to his Greycloak duties and a more personal allegiance to Maiyn had taken him this far.

Gently, two arms wrapped around her, pulling her into a warm embrace. She turned to meet him, trying to hide the trembling that racked her body, attempting to give the impression of inner strength. She felt his breath on her neck as he buried his face into her briefly, and she returned his hug fiercely as he murmured to her in elvish.

"Maiyn... My love, love of my life... I do not want it, this battle; and yet I know your strength, and I follow you. Always. Be careful, my butterfly... I need you. I love you. But you know."

He chuckled as he released her and she looked up to him, caught in the maelstrom of feelings. His smile was fond as he looked down into her eyes, and his touch was gentle as his fingers caressed her cheek gently, wiping away the tears that freely ran down. "O, Seldarine, I sound like a... like a paladin." He grinned crookedly and took her hands in his, squeezing it assuringly, letting her know he'd always be there with her.

"Luck be with the romantics."

-----------------------

The journey passed quietly, with the group using their quiet time for quite reflecting; except in the case of Yoshimo and Sime, who always seemed to be located in some dark corner, the Shadow Thief giggling coyly, in a girly manner that no one had expected her to possess. Yoshimo would occasionally wink knowingly at anyone passing, causing much eye rolling in response.

Jaheira was sitting on the deck, looking up at the clouds in the sky. She smiled briefly to Kivan as he took a seat beside her and pointed up to one specific cluster.

"It looks like a bear," she remarked casually. Kivan followed her gaze and squinted.

"I would have said it was more like a dwarf," he argued. The druid gave him a perplexed look and he chuckled slightly, causing her to smile.

"You appear to be happier now," she observed. "It is good to see."

He shrugged, looking around at the ocean surrounding them. "It was time to change. I don't regret the path I took, but it was not the path I was meant to stay on."

Jaheira nodded. "Does it... does it get easier?" she asked hesitantly. "As time passes, does the feeling of loss..."

The ranger regarded her for a moment. "It is easier to deal with," he said quietly. "The pain subsides, the pangs of loneliness fade and you adapt to cope. You never forget."

She nodded and sighed. "Occasionally I still awaken in the morning, and look for him," she mused. "When I realise that he won't be there, it is hard... it is hard to stay controlled."

"You haven't grieved." It was a statement, not a question.

"Is it so obvious?" Her smile was wry, but tears were forming in her eyes. Quietly, Kivan moved closer to her, and pulled her gently into his arms. She put up no resistance, allowing him to comfort her as she properly wept for her husband for the first time since their escape.

-----------------------

"Boo says that he wishes to get to the island quickly, that he is not cut out to be a sailor."

Maiyn grinned, and gently stroked the hamster's head as it quivered in Minsc's hand. "Tell Boo that it won't be long," she said confidently. "Saemon says we should arrive by nightfall."

"That is good to know," nodded Minsc. "Did you hear that, Boo? Yes, we will ensure that you have some time to rest and recover from the journey. Little Maiyn will not mind, no."

The elf wandered over to look out of the small window of Minsc's cabin. "Perhaps Boo needs some air?" she suggested. "You two-"

"Three!" came a muffled cry. Maiyn raised an eyebrow.

"Larry was misbehaving," explained Minsc seriously. "He has been placed in my pack until he apologises for his behaviour."

"Lemme out! Lemme out or I'll... I'll dull my blade! Yeah, I will! You'll see!" Minsc sighed sadly at the sword's unrepentant ways.

"Well, you three have been cooped up in here since we set sail," Maiyn noted. "I'm sure a little bit of fresh air would be good for you."

"Boo is not sure," replied Minsc with a frown, listening to the squeaks. "What if he is swept overboard by a stray wave?"

"You will be holding onto him tightly, and protecting him from such events," said Maiyn cheerfully. "Come on -- just for a few minutes, at least!"

"Eh, I guess we could," relented the berserker, following her as she left the cabin. "But Boo says that we must stay away from the railings, as he does not wish to tempt fate."

"What about me?! Don't go without me! Hey, you oaf -- your sword! You never go anywhere without your sword!" But Lilarcor's shouts were in vain, as the two rangers clambered up through the hatch and made their way onto the deck. Maiyn spotted Jaheira and Kivan sitting side by side, and wandered over to them as Minsc crooned gently to Boo. The two rangers took the spare seats, smiling back to the warm reception offered to them.

"It is good to see you outside again, Minsc," said Kivan approvingly.

"Indeed," agreed Jaheira. "Staying indoors for so long is simply not healthy."

"Someone should tell Xan that," murmured Maiyn, drawing mischievous grins from the others.

"Boo was feeling anxious about the experience," said Minsc sincerely. "I think he is finding it more agreeable now, though." Indeed, Boo was perched easily in the berserker's hand, sitting alert, with his nose twitching in the air. "Minsc should have realised this was what Boo needed earlier," he added, somewhat morosely.

"Not at all," assured Maiyn. "You were doing your best by him, and by what he wanted. Sometimes though, you need to face your fears, to learn that there's actually nothing there to be scared of."

Minsc nodded sagely at her words, while Kivan and Jaheira gave her a curious look. She raised an eyebrow at them, but they diverted their gazes.

"What did I sa-" Maiyn's words were interrupted by a bellowing call.

"Land ahoy!"

Several sailors ran past the group, heading to the galley, and pointing at the distance. The companions stood and followed them, noting the island in the distance, and relief washing over them.

I'm almost there Imoen... I'm almost there.

#2 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 14 December 2006 - 06:12 PM

Xan was refusing to leave his cabin. He was being sick, quite frequently. Maiyn had tried to keep him company, but he'd requested she leave when she'd asked him how he was going to manage to get to Evermeet, if he ever wanted to, when he couldn't abide seafaring.

So, is he doomed?

Minsc was also holed up in his cabin -- poor Boo was not enjoying the unsteady surfaces beneath his feet, or beneath the berserker's feet, and was looking a little groggy. Lilarcor could be heard shouting furiously about being cooped up with nothing to slay until Minsc managed to ram him into his pack, muffling the noise somewhat.

Aw, poor Minsc ;)

As they'd stood at the grave together, the others waiting up by the entrance to the crypt, Maiyn had heard Kivan's soft mumbling. She'd started suddenly as she realised what he was saying; no longer were his words directed to Shevarash; instead his softly spoken voice was offered to Sehanine Moonbow, the Daughter of the Night Skies. She had been unable to keep her look of amazement from her face, and when he was finished he'd turned to look at her, smiling softly.

"Vengeance is done," he had said simply. "Shevarash allowed me to move on, and the Lady of Dreams accepted my call. Come now -- we have work to do."

;)

Nice to see others not stick him with Shevarash for all eternity :shock:

"It's a glorious day to be astride the writhing body of the sea," he proclaimed grandly to her with a wink.

;)

"Maiyn... My love, love of my life... I do not want it, this battle; and yet I know your strength, and I follow you. Always. Be careful, my butterfly... I need you. I love you. But you know."

Awwwww!

I liked this little reverie flashback. I have read through the other story, but it seemed more intense seen this way.

He shrugged, looking around at the ocean surrounding them. "It was time to change. I don't regret the path I took, but it was not the path I was meant to stay on."

Exactly.

Jaheira nodded. "Does it... does it get easier?" she asked hesitantly. "As time passes, does the feeling of loss..."

The ranger regarded her for a moment. "It is easier to deal with," he said quietly. "The pain subsides, the pangs of loneliness fade and you adapt to cope. You never forget."

;)

She nodded and sighed. "Occasionally I still awaken in the morning, and look for him," she mused. "When I realise that he won't be there, it is hard... it is hard to stay controlled."

"Is it so obvious?" Her smile was wry, but tears were forming in her eyes. Quietly, Kivan moved closer to her, and pulled her gently into his arms. She put up no resistance, allowing him to comfort her as she properly wept for her husband for the first time since their escape.

:shock:

I'm glad your party had such a peaceful transit to Brynnlaw.

#3 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:59 AM

They also have a way that includes travelling on dragon’s back, I think. I am sure Xan would find it far more comforting!

Jaheira and Kivan were frequently seen conversing quietly together. They made no effort to stop whenever Maiyn approached, but she could tell by their subtle changes in body language that the topic of discussion had been altered; they didn't want her knowing what they spoke of, but nor did they want her knowing that they had a secret. She decided to leave them be; she was probably happier not knowing what was on their minds.

Hmm, I’m guessing it’s not a romantic courtship or something like that? Well, not yet, I suppose.

That’s a far better choice, honestly.

They'd then moved on swiftly and she hadn't had the chance to tell him how happy she was for him; but she felt that he already knew. The changes in him were subtle, but there -- he no longer avoided the company of the group and he was learning how to smile once more. A sadness remained in his eyes that would stay there, she was sure, until he was reunited with his beloved Deheriana in Arvanaith -- but his intention to join her before his natural time had gone.

Hmm, interesting that while she herself can move on from Coran and become involved with Xan, she doesn’t think that Kivan could do the same? ;)

Yes, I am sure most of your thoughts involve writhing bodies, in any capacity or shape. :shock:

"Er, yes, indeed," she said hastily, ducking through the hatch, and wandering to the cabin she was sharing with Jaheira and Sime. She passed the young Shadow Thief on the way, and was about to say hello when she also spotted Yoshimo standing beside her, their faces locked together in an embrace. Maiyn smirked slightly, and quietly wandered past, entering her room and lying down on her bed. They had several days worth of travel to get through -- it looked as if some of the companions would enjoy it more than others.

Blegh. I always wanted to think about Yoshi as more honourable than to get involved with someone knowing that he will have to betray them. I lose a lot of sympathy for him now.

Anomen stood and returned her smile. "I will leave you to rest now. If you wish to speak at any point, I will be... well, somewhere onboard."

With your head overboard? ;)

To her right, Jaheira was being held by Khalid. The druid was trembling slightly; a rare show of weakness on her normally strong and confident character. The Harpers both knew what they faced, and they knew the chance of their success. But they needed to try; for Gorion's memory, and for Maiyn's continued existence. They drew strength from each other, murmuring soft words of encouragement and love to each other, oblivious to the others.

Awww… *sniffle*

Just past them stood Kivan and Xan, side by side, as had become their natural places. Kivan's face was an emotionless mask, his stoic expression completely impassive as he regarded what lay before them. His eyes drifted over the temple, but there was no change to his demeanour; even knowing that Tazok was within, the ranger was controlled and prepared. He had waited a long time to seek his vengeance; a few more minutes wasn't affecting him in the slightest.

This passage actually inspired me to write a short story… which is in the quiz now. I always had the idea of Kivan being completely overtaken by his revenge and almost being a slave to it.

He chuckled as he released her and she looked up to him, caught in the maelstrom of feelings. His smile was fond as he looked down into her eyes, and his touch was gentle as his fingers caressed her cheek gently, wiping away the tears that freely ran down. "O, Seldarine, I sound like a... like a paladin." He grinned crookedly and took her hands in his, squeezing it assuringly, letting her know he'd always be there with her.

I’ve never seen something more Famous Last Words worthy. ;)

Awwww. :shock: It would be credible that they would become closer in their shared sorrow.

"Someone should tell Xan that," murmured Maiyn, drawing mischievous grins from the others.

Ah, but he doesn’t plan to live long. So he can spend all his time indoors and eat unhealthy and fatty junk food… ;)

"Boo was feeling anxious about the experience," said Minsc sincerely. "I think he is finding it more agreeable now, though." Indeed, Boo was perched easily in the berserker's hand, sitting alert, with his nose twitching in the air. "Minsc should have realised this was what Boo needed earlier," he added, somewhat morosely.

Well, it seems that no harm has been down, and I am sure Boo does not hold a grudge.

"Not at all," assured Maiyn. "You were doing your best by him, and by what he wanted. Sometimes though, you need to face your fears, to learn that there's actually nothing there to be scared of."

Minsc nodded sagely at her words, while Kivan and Jaheira gave her a curious look. She raised an eyebrow at them, but they diverted their gazes.

Yes… interesting. *is puzzled*

Several sailors ran past the group, heading to the galley, and pointing at the distance. The companions stood and followed them, noting the island in the distance, and relief washing over them.

This is going to be depressing. ;)

#4 Guest_Keldan_*

Posted 15 December 2006 - 04:48 PM

:shock: Of course Xan would be a seasickness type.

D'aww. Da ickle oldies gots secrets to share. ;)

Anomen was unable to stay still -- he wasn't as sick as Xan, but he did admit to a queasy feeling and he was unable to remain at peace, usually prowling around the decks, trying to think of something to do to take his mind off everything. Yoshimo and Sime would be secreted away together; it hadn't taken long for the Kara-Tuan to flash his winning smile and offer to exchange 'picking tips'. They were slowly becoming inseparable, though the ranger wasn't sure how deep their friendship went.

Guh. Bad Yoshi. Dating a girl you've gotta kill later? Not kosher.

Edwin: Eh... heh.
Willow: Yeah, but you aren't s'posed to kill me. Just, y'know, enslave me if I don't cooperate, that sorta thing.

Yay! Good on you for giving up that whole angsty bit, Kivan. ;)

Plus, I've always been fond of Sehanine since I met Linu in Neverwinter Nights. She made her sound like an okay sort of goddess.

They'd then moved on swiftly and she hadn't had the chance to tell him how happy she was for him; but she felt that he already knew. The changes in him were subtle, but there -- he no longer avoided the company of the group and he was learning how to smile once more. A sadness remained in his eyes that would stay there, she was sure, until he was reunited with his beloved Deheriana in Arvanaith -- but his intention to join her before his natural time had gone. His duty was now to seeing out the tale that his fate had entwined him in, and doing what he could to ensure Maiyn did not succumb to her taint.

Oh, yeah, no one else for him, eh? I dunno, I know this really nice (well, most of the time) half-elven lady... ;)

:shock: *swoons*

;) Poor Sime's in for a rough surprise...

The knight looked at her sympathetically. "I am sure she will be fine, my lady," he said soothingly. "And we will be there before you know it. It won't be long until you see the Lady Imoen, and we are all determined to free her from the unjust imprisonment she's found herself in."

;) Already calling her Lady and everything.

D'awww... ;)

Alora was shaking uncontrollably; the little thief that they'd discovered in the Hall of Wonders, who had resolutely stuck by them despite the growing dangers, and despite there being no personal involvement for herself. She was looking at the ground, the vision of their destination being too much for her to observe. Her hands fidgeted with her bow shakily.

Poor widdle Alora... ;)

Weird words to be hearing from Coran, of all people.

Nyehehehe...

The journey passed quietly, with the group using their quiet time for quite reflecting; except in the case of Yoshimo and Sime, who always seemed to be located in some dark corner, the Shadow Thief giggling coyly, in a girly manner that no one had expected her to possess. Yoshimo would occasionally wink knowingly at anyone passing, causing much eye rolling in response.

Eye-rolling is an understandable reaction. ;)

*dies of adorableness*

"Boo is not sure," replied Minsc with a frown, listening to the squeaks. "What if he is swept overboard by a stray wave?"

He'd barely make even a snack for a Sahuagin.

Er... I mean... he's a Giant Miniature Space Hamster, you don't need to worry about him. Yeah.

Hehehe...

;)

At least there's more Saemon coming up. ;) Right? Right?

#5 Guest_Coutelier_*

Posted 16 December 2006 - 12:12 AM

Aerie: Oh dear... y-you can't stay in your cabins. You see, you-you're body senses the movement but your eyes tell your brain you're still. I used to get travel sick because I had my head down all the time while the wagons where moving... t-the trick is to keep your eyes on the horizon.

Those are tears of joy. It's nice he's finally moved on.

Imoen: Someone had better keep an eye on Kirk here...

Tarant: Days of being all the happy couples... Don't know how I'd cope.

Maiyn nodded sadly. "When they said that there'd been little contact from the island, I began worrying... what if... well, you can imagine. I need to get there, to get to her -- I know we're on our way, but it feels painfully slow."

Tarant: Yeah, well... I kind of... know that feeling...

Imoen: He likes me! He really likes me!

Tarant: Shut up.

Maiyn chuckled as he left, then rolled over and closed her eyes, allowing herself to drift off into reverie, the gentle rocking of the boat enticing her into relaxation.

Imoen: How's this reverie thing work?

Aerie: I... don't know. I've never been able to do it. The elves in Suldanessellar didn't teach me...

Imoen: Well they might of if you'd actually asked instead of sitting outside Demin's house all day...

Aerie: ;)

Imoen: Oh, here... have another cookie.

Aerie: ;)

The darkness seemed to swirl around, then slowly focused. It was almost suffocating to begin with, but slowly it brightened -- just enough for her to make out her surroundings. Ahead of them lay the ruins of a city, crumbling buildings that hadn't seen life in an age. A desolate feeling hung in the air, and the emotion emanating from her companions was thick and brutal. Above all else, there was fear.

Reminds me of when I used to go visit my aunt in Glasgow.

Edwin: ;) Bucket! Fetch me my bucket!

Xan looked resigned. He had the air of someone who was beckoning death to his side, preparing for a personal meeting. His hands trembled as he sorted through his components pouch, his eyes fixed firmly to the contents. He had been the only person to cry out when they entered the cave; a pained exclamation, a grudging acceptance that they neared the end. Only his loyalty to his Greycloak duties and a more personal allegiance to Maiyn had taken him this far.

Tarant: I would think he's quite happy with the situation. Any chance he has to actually be right.

Edwin: Gods, where is that bucket?

Aerie: I think it's sweet.

Imoen: I didn't think he'd met Anomen yet.

Jaheira was sitting on the deck, looking up at the clouds in the sky. She smiled briefly to Kivan as he took a seat beside her and pointed up to one specific cluster.

"It looks like a bear," she remarked casually. Kivan followed her gaze and squinted.

"I would have said it was more like a dwarf," he argued. The druid gave him a perplexed look and he chuckled slightly, causing her to smile.

Imoen: No... it's a fat man on skis.

Tarant: At least no one said anything about sex.

"Is it so obvious?"

Imoen: Hasn't exactly been much time has there?

Her smile was wry, but tears were forming in her eyes. Quietly, Kivan moved closer to her, and pulled her gently into his arms. She put up no resistance, allowing him to comfort her as she properly wept for her husband for the first time since their escape.

Imoen: Ooh...

Maiyn grinned, and gently stroked the hamster's head as it quivered in Minsc's hand. "Tell Boo that it won't be long," she said confidently. "Saemon says we should arrive by nightfall."

Imoen: You're sure he said Saemon says?

"Well, you three have been cooped up in here since we set sail," Maiyn noted. "I'm sure a little bit of fresh air would be good for you."

Aerie: I'm sure it is as well... a-although I'm not sure how to cure a sword of sea sickness.

Tarant: Throw it overboard so that it sinks to be the bottom. That'll do it.

Imoen: What about sharks? Killer whales... Giant squid!

Good chapter!

#6 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 18 December 2006 - 10:11 PM

So, is he doomed?

Oh, probably :D He'd say so, anyway...

Aw, poor Minsc :D

Maiyn: The only thing worse than being cooped up in a small, stuffy room, is having to also share it with Lilarcor... :P

:P

Nice to see others not stick him with Shevarash for all eternity :lol:

Yeah -- there's no real need :D His vengeance in this story has been done and done again, and he's bright enough to see that maybe he's still around because the fates have something else in store for him.

:lol:

Saemon: What? What did I say?

Awwwww!

I liked this little reverie flashback. I have read through the other story, but it seemed more intense seen this way.

Exactly.

Yep. Things change.

:D

*nod*

;)

I'm glad your party had such a peaceful transit to Brynnlaw.

I thought they deserved it -- the next chance at peace is rather far away.

Thanks for reading and commenting! :D

#7 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 18 December 2006 - 10:23 PM

They also have a way that includes travelling on dragon’s back, I think. I am sure Xan would find it far more comforting!

:D I dunno, I can see him having an unhealthy fear of heights, too, despite the towers of Evereska and things... :lol:

Hmm, I’m guessing it’s not a romantic courtship or something like that? Well, not yet, I suppose.

Nope -- they understand each other though, and that's good and supportive. It's hard to comment on them without giving too much away, so I'll leave it at that :P

That’s a far better choice, honestly.

Yep :D

They'd then moved on swiftly and she hadn't had the chance to tell him how happy she was for him; but she felt that he already knew. The changes in him were subtle, but there -- he no longer avoided the company of the group and he was learning how to smile once more. A sadness remained in his eyes that would stay there, she was sure, until he was reunited with his beloved Deheriana in Arvanaith -- but his intention to join her before his natural time had gone.

Hmm, interesting that while she herself can move on from Coran and become involved with Xan, she doesn’t think that Kivan could do the same? :lol:

Because, I think, Kivan has shown little interest (in her eyes) in moving onto anyone else, while she knows she is capable of allowing her emotions to move onto someone else. I don't think she's consciously defining him, or anything, more just going by what she's seen and how she thinks he is.

Yes, I am sure most of your thoughts involve writhing bodies, in any capacity or shape. ;)

:D I had problems getting any other lines that were any good for him, alas, so I had to just use that one :lol: Otherwise they migth have managed to have a conversation...

Blegh. I always wanted to think about Yoshi as more honourable than to get involved with someone knowing that he will have to betray them. I lose a lot of sympathy for him now.

Good good :D

With your head overboard? :lol:

Anomen: I think you are confusing me with our enchanter. I will merely be... studying the wave patterns.

Awww… *sniffle*

:)

This passage actually inspired me to write a short story… which is in the quiz now. I always had the idea of Kivan being completely overtaken by his revenge and almost being a slave to it.

*nods* I read and commented -- I liked it a lot :D And it's, to me, a completely believable Kivan.

And, er, glad to be of... inspiration! :(

I’ve never seen something more Famous Last Words worthy. :D

*chortles* Well, considering how it ended up for him... :(

Awwww. :lol: It would be credible that they would become closer in their shared sorrow.

Yep -- I never even planned on them being close friends, or anything, but they've just oved that way because they have more in common than you'd first think by this stage, although they're still very, very different. I think they'd make a fairly believable pairing if done correctly.

Ah, but he doesn’t plan to live long. So he can spend all his time indoors and eat unhealthy and fatty junk food… :P

Maiyn: Hmm, good point. That doesn't sound too bad, really...

Well, it seems that no harm has been down, and I am sure Boo does not hold a grudge.

Minsc: I hope so. Minsc could not bear the thought of knowing Boo felt let down by him.

Yes… interesting. *is puzzled*

For someone who is terrified of arachnids and does very little to try and get over it, or even face them, apart from relying on resist fear spells, Maiyn is rather patronising about conquering ones fears :(

Plus, a certain figurine that they found before hitting Bodhi's lair wasn't 'lost' as Anomen suggested it might have been :lol:

This is going to be depressing. :lol:

I don't think it's too bad *shuffle* Though there might be a surprise or two later on...

Thanks for reading and commenting :(

#8 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 18 December 2006 - 10:31 PM

;) Of course Xan would be a seasickness type.

He just is, isn't he? :lol:

D'aww. Da ickle oldies gots secrets to share. :)

Jaheira: 'Oldies'?
Imoen: Sure.
Kivan: I see.
Imoen: Well, your combined age is even longer than Coran's seeding season.

Guh. Bad Yoshi. Dating a girl you've gotta kill later? Not kosher.

Edwin: Eh... heh.
Willow: Yeah, but you aren't s'posed to kill me. Just, y'know, enslave me if I don't cooperate, that sorta thing.

Yay! Good on you for giving up that whole angsty bit, Kivan. :(

Plus, I've always been fond of Sehanine since I met Linu in Neverwinter Nights. She made her sound like an okay sort of goddess.

Yeah -- she sounds pretty decent, and she'd (I think) be more willing than some of the more snooty gods to take him into her fold and not mind about his past stuff.

Oh, yeah, no one else for him, eh? I dunno, I know this really nice (well, most of the time) half-elven lady... :(

Jaheira: Hmm.
Imoen: She means you, silly.
Jaheira: I realised that, Imoen, thank you very much.

:D *swoons*

Teehee! Thought you might like that...

:D Poor Sime's in for a rough surprise...

Yep :lol:

:D Already calling her Lady and everything.

Maiyn: Yeah -- didn't take him long to move onto the sister, huh?
Coran: Well, your drunken ramblings are quite intimidating... at least Imoen just tells some filthy jokes then passes out.

D'awww... :lol:

*nod*

Poor widdle Alora... :lol:

Yeah -- I felt really mean about killing her :lol:

Weird words to be hearing from Coran, of all people.

Indeed!

Nyehehehe...

:(

Eye-rolling is an understandable reaction. :D

Isn't it? :P

*dies of adorableness*

:(

He'd barely make even a snack for a Sahuagin.

Er... I mean... he's a Giant Miniature Space Hamster, you don't need to worry about him. Yeah.

:P Nicely saved :D
Minsc: Minsc is not convinced -- just because Boo is a Giant Miniature Space Hamster does not mean Boo is an able swimmer.

Hehehe...

La la la :D

At least there's more Saemon coming up. :D Right? Right?

Yep -- there's a little bit more, but he's saving his real showing for Amkethran :D

Thanks for reading and commenting :D

#9 Guest_arabellaesque_*

Posted 18 December 2006 - 10:42 PM

Aerie: Oh dear... y-you can't stay in your cabins. You see, you-you're body senses the movement but your eyes tell your brain you're still. I used to get travel sick because I had my head down all the time while the wagons where moving... t-the trick is to keep your eyes on the horizon.

Minsc: Wise words. Perhaps Minsc and Boo should heed them, and take the little elven enchanter up to the deck with them.
Xan: Don't come anywhere near me!
Edwin: Or what? You'll charm them away from you?

;)

Those are tears of joy. It's nice he's finally moved on.

:D I'm glad most people are happy for him!

Imoen: Someone had better keep an eye on Kirk here...

Tarant: Days of being all the happy couples... Don't know how I'd cope.

Edwin: I'd advise owning a a sickbag.

Tarant: Yeah, well... I kind of... know that feeling...

Imoen: He likes me! He really likes me!

Tarant: Shut up.

:D Awww, they're so cute! :lol:

Imoen: How's this reverie thing work?

Aerie: I... don't know. I've never been able to do it. The elves in Suldanessellar didn't teach me...

Imoen: Well they might of if you'd actually asked instead of sitting outside Demin's house all day...

Aerie: :D

Imoen: Oh, here... have another cookie.

Aerie: :lol:

Maiyn: Ooh, cookies?
Coran: You can't have one, dear. The leather's getting a bit tight on you already.
Maiyn: *glare*

Reminds me of when I used to go visit my aunt in Glasgow.

:D :D :P :P :D

Aah... my husband laughed loudly at that, too -- with me being an Aberdonian and he being from edinburgh, Glasgow -- and its inhabitants, the weegies -- are our common ground to make fun of :lol:

Edwin: :lol: Bucket! Fetch me my bucket!

Jaheira: Only if it is to wedge over your head, wizard.

Tarant: I would think he's quite happy with the situation. Any chance he has to actually be right.

Xan: I don't need to rely on a 'chance' top be right. It's unavoidable, and completely pointless to think otherwise. We. Are. Doomed.

Edwin: Gods, where is that bucket?

Aerie: I think it's sweet.

*sniggers*

Imoen: I agree with Aerie.
Maiyn: So do I.
Ajantis: Did you really say that? Did it work? Did she swoon?
Coran: Er... well.

Imoen: I didn't think he'd met Anomen yet.

Hah!

Imoen: No... it's a fat man on skis.

Tarant: At least no one said anything about sex.

Coran: That's because Korgan's dead.

"Is it so obvious?"

Imoen: Hasn't exactly been much time has there?

Maiyn: I guess not. We've been pretty much constantly on the move, with things happening. But still... it's times like this, when you're stuck on a boat with nothing to do except avoid Saemon, that you catch up with your feelings.

Her smile was wry, but tears were forming in her eyes. Quietly, Kivan moved closer to her, and pulled her gently into his arms. She put up no resistance, allowing him to comfort her as she properly wept for her husband for the first time since their escape.

Imoen: Ooh...

Imoen: That's what I'd be thinking too, if I was there.

Imoen: You're sure he said Saemon says?

Maiyn: Pretty. I hope he did, anyway, otherwise it means he didn't mean it.
(I chuckled rather loudly when I read that, btw -- it earned me strange looks.)

Aerie: I'm sure it is as well... a-although I'm not sure how to cure a sword of sea sickness.

Tarant: Throw it overboard so that it sinks to be the bottom. That'll do it.

Larry: You wouldn't dare!
Maiyn: Don't tempt us.

Imoen: What about sharks? Killer whales... Giant squid!

Maiyn: Catfish? :lol:

Good chapter!

Thanks! And thanks for reading and commenting! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com