Baldur's Gate Heroes #010

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Coutelier_*

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:11 AM

Baldur’s Gate Heroes #010
Insurrection, Part Two

So, this was it then. They were all going to die, and for what? Because Imoen had a bad dream… pretty petty and selfish really.

Make no mistake, things were pretty bad. Powerful though Kalah and the Rauko had been, in many ways they had been a far easier opponent than what they were about to face. Human beings. You see, Imoen was one, so they thought the same way she did. It was her being the same as them that made them frightening to face.

You can kill a monster easily, especially when it was all teeth and claws and not cute in any way at all. A creature like that’s brains you can fry out without giving it a second thought… but down there were people. People with boyfriends, girlfriends, families, pets… realizing that, Imoen knew she was at a great disadvantage. Sure, she had been in battles with people before but for her it had never gotten any easier. The soldiers on the other hand weren’t likely to hesitate to shoot any of them. The only way for her to survive such battles was to keep telling herself that these guys had done wrong, and therefore had forfeited the right to be thought of as people at all. They were no better than the monsters.

But in fact, most the guys down there are probably ordinary soldiers just doing what they’d been ordered to… this was why Imoen would never survive in a war. Another thing that could work though was that she wasn’t exactly proud to be human right now. In fact, she was beginning to think that we were basically the telesales people of the universe.

So, with that thought in mind she steeled herself and turned to her captive.

“Hey, wake up you!” The red head pleaded with Yoshimo, who didn’t respond at all. She was reasonably sure she had only knocked him unconscious and hadn’t caused any more serious damage. He was still breathing anyway and there was no drool coming from the corner of his mouth which she considered good signs.

Maybe she needed to slap him or throw cold water in his face or something… to be honest, questioning and torture wasn’t something she could ever get into. For one thing, at just five foot and four inches tall and quite skinny as well, she wasn’t a very physically intimidating person. She wasn’t good at looming, like say, Batman in comic books. She imagined him as having a deep threatening voice as well which would help a lot. Also, when Batman threatened someone they obviously believed he was capable of carrying out those threats, but people never felt that with her and they were usually right. What could she say? She was just too nice a person. It was her only major flaw.

Luckily, Yoshimo did soon start to stir of his own accord. He rolled his head and tested his jaw before his eyes finally came to rest on the red head.

“I am to assume then that your foolishness was never anything more than an act to throw me off guard?”

“Uh… sure, that’s it,” Imoen thought she had something up her nose but found nothing. Now her full attention could be on her captive. “Listen chump, you’d better answer my questions or I… I’ll harm you, got it? Good. Now, why’d you come to me? And I know it wasn’t because of my reputation, coz…”

“… Because you do not have a reputation?”

“Well… yeah,” her face reddened. It had always been Diana people were interested in. She was afterall so much more voluptuous than Imoen, who always tagged along but was never really noticed. Funny thing is it had never bothered her at the time. Her inner analyst told her that since her life had been on such a downward spiral since Diana departed, she now regretted never being anything more than a sidekick. Perhaps if she hadn’t let her sister hog all of the spotlight things wouldn’t have gotten so bad.

“Still… think maybe I’ll have a reputation after this little escapade… I’ll be America’s most wanted. And you really should not be messing with a desperate criminal,” Imoen tried to point in a threatening manner, but she came out looking like a moody nine year old. All it needed was for her to huff and stamp her foot. Yoshimo obviously wasn’t impressed.

“The truth is I do not know why I was asked to seek you out,” he said and gave the impression that he was being kind by doing so, “I was simply told to watch you.”

“And Aerie?”

“Not important.”

“Not important? She’s like the most important ever to happen to our planet… plus she still has thousands of year’s worth of science stuff locked in her brain…”

“And it would take us that long to understand most of it anyway… it was not important whether she returned alive or dead. You were the only thing that mattered.”

“So… the whole thing was some kind of test?”

“That is my guess… of course, now that you have seen through my ruse I doubt either of us will leave here alive.”

“But why? And why all the deception anyway? You know, they could have just asked me nicely.”

“I do not know,” shrugged Yoshimo whilst Imoen’s brows furrowed in concentration. Things made even less sense now than they did before, when she was just a pawn being used so no-one could trace things back to the US military. Now she was at the center of some much larger conspiracy and she had no idea why. She was unnaturally cute of course, but other than that there was nothing remarkable about her.

It could be a revenge thing… Imoen had never done anything to anyone, at least nothing that would warrant such an expensive and elaborate scheme. Her spotlight hogging sister on the other hand… Diana could have done something to really make someone mad, but since she wasn’t around anymore for people to get revenge on they go after the people who had been close to her. Kind of unfair and unjust really… but revenge typically wasn’t very rational.

This presented a problem for Imoen also, since she couldn’t exactly just ask her deceased sister about it. Not even in her dreams since Diana tended to go all Evil Dead on her. The only living person who might know anything Diana hadn’t told Imoen was Jaheira, a vigilante who was also part of the Harper Guild. Unfortunately, getting hold of her wasn’t exactly easy. It wasn’t like there was signal you just lit up… no, Harpers showed up to help if and when they felt like it and departed in much the same way. For the time being, there was only one avenue left to explore.

“Irenicus,” the red head said and leant in close to Yoshimo so that she could clearly every line on his face, “He is real isn’t he?”

“I have no idea what you are talking about,” he snorted, but he was lying. She’d learnt how to read him now.

“What about you Aerie? Does the name ‘Irenicus’ mean anything to you?” If he was real after all, then it was possible he’d wanted Aerie out of the way for some reason.

“W-well, lot’s of things, I’m afraid,” the blonde shifted uneasily, “T-there are hundreds of names using that sound, a-across dozens of planets…”

“What about in your language? The man I saw looked human...”

“Well, i-if it’s a man, ma’am, then he is unlikely to be Avariel since all Avariel are female. The name does mean ‘shattered one’ in Suldanese… t-they are also creations of the Seldarine and are made in both genders. Their home world however is… w-well; it’s the other side of the galaxy…”

“So, I’ve got a man, possibly an alien man, who wants to test me… and he’s damn well succeeded at that,” Imoen’s eyes never left Yoshimo. “Is he here?”

“Doubtful,” the Japanese man said. At least now he seemed to have some measure of respect for Imoen.

“So where is Project ELF located?”

“I do not know,” he said, Imoen still studying him closely.

“I believe you,” she smiled sweetly, “so, you might as well go back to sleep.” She jabbed the needle she’d been concealing into his arm and turned away.

“W-what… what will you do with him?” Aerie asked.

“Should really kill him,” Imoen felt herself sweating. It was a lot of pressure being the one everyone looked to for answers. Aerie may have known everything there is to know about space and technology, but the kid had no idea how things worked here on Earth. And Minsc was no help at all. The giant seemed even more puzzled than the alien.

“I could not allow that… e-even though it’s you…”it wasn’t self defense therefore it would be wrong. Frightened and nervous though she seemed it was clear Aerie wouldn’t compromise on things like that. You had to respect that kind of morality, even if at times it seemed naïve. Especially a time like now when there where so many people looking to kill all of them.

“Relax… I wasn’t actually going to do it. I… I don’t think I could even if I wanted to. We’ll just have to dump him in these woods somewhere and hope he’s smart enough never to come back.”

Now Aerie, who had indeed relaxed, had not so far shown any anger about anything that had been done to her, the captivity and the torture. For one thing, there was no point in lashing out when you were certain to lose. For most people survival mattered a whole lot more than revenge, so it was a lot easier to twist facts so that she made herself believe it was her own fault she was being punished. But even when she thought they were certain to kill her she still accepted it. It was because of ‘naïve morality’. It didn’t matter what anyone did to her, because she believed she served something far greater than just herself. Was that what a real hero was? Someone who stood up for ideals no matter how hard it was and no matter what anyone thought…

Imoen on the other hand was only fighting for herself, and so far it had only being a co-incidence that she’d done a little good along the way and the people she was fighting happened to be bad. As far as motivations go, she found hers was somewhat lacking and the thought of just turning round and forgetting everything still carried a lot of appeal. But then would this Irenicus keep coming to her in her dreams?

“Minsc and Boo stand waiting,” the Russian said.

“Er, what?” The red head responded. Apparently she’d zoned out for a moment there.

“These men…. These pus filled boils on the smooth buttocks of good,” Minsc spat with barely concealed anger, “They have lied and used deceit and worse is what they have done to fair Aerie… Minsc says they are in need of a butt kicking and he will wait no longer!”

“Alright,” Immy smiled. He was right… they would be kicking butts for a good cause. And the truth was just she had already gone too far to turn back now. “We need a plan though… can’t just go in there guns a’blazin’.”

The cyborg leant forward looking her squarely in the eye. “Why not?” He asked.

“Well… for one thing there’s a lot of open ground between us and them. They’re bound to have set up mines and have rockets covering the area.”

“I-I can take care of any mines,” Aerie said.

“And Boo assures us that Dynaheir’s armor can withstand many rocket attacks… and he prefers to do his butt kicking at night so that he may sleep during the day.”

“Hamsters are nocturnal, Minsc. But, I suppose if we’re gonna do this our best chance is to go now. Alright, if Boo is completely sure he can get us to those buildings in one piece, then we’ll do it.”

Leaves rustled and parted as Ammale, the yellow bird, hovered silently towards the edge of the woods. There it remained still, the only movement being its green eyes scanning the area it and the plant. With Minsc’s help, Aerie was able to set up within minutes a link so that they could see through the probes eyes from within Dynaheir.

“You… you were correct,” the Avariel pointed out many brownish blobs on the screen in front of her, along with a whole bunch of other strange symbols which only meant anything to her. “Ammale detects many explosive devices. S-some seem to require being triggered remotely… o-others are magnetic. I can detonate all of them…”

“I don’t need to know all the details Aerie,” Imoen made ready her assault rifle; “you do your voodoo, and leave the rest to us.”

Aerie didn’t know what voodoo was, but she got the gist of what Imoen said and sent the signal to Ammale, who did… something. Imoen wasn’t sure what but she was sure it was all perfectly scientific. In any case, it worked. Everyone in the facility was alerted to their arrival by a terrific bang as every mine simultaneously detonated. Dirt fizzled over Ammale’s bluish force shield as the metallic bird turned away and headed back into the woods.

“Sha-zam,” Imoen said in awe, then realized that the dirt cloud was also the perfect cover for them. Fortunately Minsc was already ahead of her on that and had instantly put his mighty foot down. Unfortunately Imoen was standing up at the time and found herself thrown against the bunks. Aerie at least went back to check on her, but Minsc was taking them at full speed towards the largest building ahead of them laughing manically all the way.

“I’d better not have a bump,” Imoen managed sitting up and rubbed her forehead, “I do not want to meet a villain looking like the sister the elephant kept hidden in the attic…”

“Y-you, can hardly see it ma’am,” Aerie helped her up and smiled.

“Imoen… ma’am is what you call the Queen of England…” the two fell back on their respective asses as Dynaheir was violently shaken. Rockets. Most of them were missing and going off nearby but at least one had been a direct hit. Minsc didn’t seem to notice, but it wasn’t a good idea for them to stay out in the open. Luckily Imoen could make out Minsc’s screen and it didn’t seem that they were. “Better hold on to something,” she told the blonde.

Dynaheir versus the brick wall was no contest and the wall gave in instantly. It was only when they were through that Minsc bothered to slam on the brakes and vehicles screeched to a halt amongst the fallen masonry. Guns started to clatter, but they were Dynaheir’s, strategically placed to keep enemies away from the hatches so that troops could be unloaded safely. The Cyborg was able to control them from a link he had built into to himself. Like he giddy child he leapt from the driver’s seat and picked up three of his favorite, and biggest, guns.

“Minsc!” Imoen made a feeble effort to restrain him before jump out onto the battle field. “Look, you’re getting carried away again!”

The huge Russian did stop and hang his head sulkily. For a second it seemed he would finally get a hold of himself, but when he looked up he still had that manic look in his eye. He pulled down the door lever and bounded out.

“MINSC WILL SMASH! HAHAHA!” The Russian cried. In little time the sound of gunfire was everywhere, and in just a little more time it gave way in most places to the sound of desperate soldiers running for their lives.

“I suppose at least this means we can go and find whoever’s in charge here while he has the troops all occupied,” Imoen shook her head while Aerie looked a little shocked and a little concerned. “Don’t worry… there’s not much that can penetrate his skin. And even when it does it’s not like there’s much human blood left inside him anyway. Nothing short of a bazooka to the chest is going to stop him, and he can move pretty fast for a big guy too.”

And at least, it looked like they had achieved total surprise and caught the enemy with his pants down. Rather than give them time to regroup, she and Aerie moved out and headed cautiously in the other direction to Minsc.

The Major padded across the disused factory floor and stood to attention behind a large armchair that faced the window. All that could be seen of its occupant was a single segmented metal gauntlet putting out a cigar in an ashtray rested on the chairs right arm. The guys had imaginatively given him the nickname of Doctor Claw. He wasn’t the big boss in the organization, but, well, frankly he scared the hell out of everyone.

“What’s all the raucous out there, soldier,” Claw spoke calmly, even if the last word dripped with irony.

They said this guy was half-machine, but the Major knew that was just talk. In fact, it was more like a 70/30 split. That was seventy per cent machine. Years ago he’d been in an accident that left him disfigured and caused him to lose his right hand, so he’d devised his own cybernetic claw to replace it. Since then, as various muscles and organs had failed he’d just gone on replacing them until hardly anything at all was left of the man.

“Our guests have arrived, sir,” the Major got a grip of himself.

“And I guess they’re backing out of our deal… it was expected that they might. Is Aerie with them, anyway?”

“We don’t know sir. All we’ve seen so far is a seven foot man who swears in Russian.”

“She is. I know it’s not rational soldier, but I can sense that she’s here,” the claw moved over to a tray and picked out a scalpel with surprising precision for such a cumbersome looking appendage. The blade seemed tiny, but the claw slowly twisted it round and round his fingers. “We bonded a lot you see, in the time we were together…”

The Major coughed loudly. He didn’t even want to imagine the kind of sadistic games Doctor Claw would have played. “Uh, our instructions sir?”

“Hmmm… save the red head if you can. Kill the other one… but I want my Aerie. You know, when she left, she left a hole in my heart… and I can never cause her pain enough to fill it. But it sure feels good… making her pay day after day for what she did to me.”

Somehow though, the Major found it hard to believe that Claw had any feelings left at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com