Beloved Child: Interlude

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 26 August 2006 - 11:34 AM

I apologize but I have been dropkicked by writers block. I can’t seem to get anywhere at the moment so here is a little interlude to tide you over. It is break in all the fighting as well ;)

Beloved Child: Interlude

”That pompous fool, Galvarey! How could he possibly have risen to a position of leadership among the Harpers and he has designs on becoming a herald as well?”

Jaheira marched resolutely away from the large waterfront estate that served as the base of operation for the Harpers in Athkatla. The scowl on her face made the noisy crowds of sailor’s part before her. She had spent the last day and a half with the Harpers trying to drum up information on Irenicus and Groders whereabouts as well as help to bring Irenicus to justice, one way or the other. Unfortunately, the current leader of the Athkatlan Harpers, Galvarey seemed more interested in his own advancement them finding a murderer of comrades. He had also shown a lot of interest in Groders heritage, trying to constantly turn their conversations in the direction.

The man had grated on Jaheiras already frayed nerves one time to many and she had decided to find information on her own before she did something to that man. She still had her contacts in the city, they had been hers and Khalids of course but she avoided thinking of it.

Later Jaheira sat down in a secluded spot in The Copper Coronet and waited. After a few minutes a portly man with double chins sat down across from her.

“Hello Bernard.” She said.

“How are you doing Jaheira, been a while, eh? Heard you and Khalid were involved in stopping the war, where is he, I can’t see him?” He asked jovially and looked around. The question stabbed her still fresh wounds. The pain must have registered in her face because Bernard’s face fell.

“Oh, I didn’t know, Jaheira. My condolences, he was a good man.”

“Yes, he was…” The half-elf told her old friend what had passed after Serevok had been defeated. She told him of Irenicus dungeon and finding Khalid, of the falling out with Groder and the obstinate Harpers at the docks. When she was finished, Bernard had turned a few shades paler and was wiping sweat from his forehead.

“Gods… It’s been a rough few days then?” It was an understatement and the man shifted uneasily. “I don’t really know what to say. I know that The Cowled Wizards put people that break their laws in a place called spellhold, don’t know much about it though.”

Jaheira nodded.

“Just tell me what you can.”

“Well about that Groder, I did hear something about a blonde kid that apparently rescued a drow, would you believe it, a drow from being burned outside the prison. Killed a few Beshabans as well, I hear.”

“A drow? Surely it couldn’t be? But of course it would be; the birds of the same feather.” She thought and continued listening to Bernard

“There was a noble girl however… Nalia De`Arnise. She was looking for mercenaries and left the Five Flagons with a blonde kid, a Kara-Turan and some cloaked fellow, probably the drow. They may be the ones you are looking for but they will be at the De`Arnise lands by now.”

“How far is it?”

“Half a day by horse, I’d say.”

“Thank you, Bernard. You have been of great help as always.”

Jaheira leaned back in the chair as Bernard returned to his duties at the bar. She had to make a decision, if she left the city she might pass Groder and his group going back but if she didn’t go, who knew how long it would take before he returned. Since Galvarey wouldn’t help she would have to make due on her own and she had not been counting on that. There had of course not been anyway to foresee the obstruction that was Galvarey. She hefted her staff and stood, she would make her way to the stables by the gates to see what renting a horse might cost.

The stone moved slowly and methodically along the sword, sharpening the edges. When he held it up to inspect it, the blade glinted blue. It was not magic; he would not traffic with anything magic, there would be just one time and soon. The ore that had served as the blades birthmother had been discoloured by the gods knew what. He kept sharpening the blade slowly; it wouldn’t be long now, not long at all. Valygar Corthala, last of that name sat on his bed and methodically sharpened the blue blade. He had served in the Amnian army as a scout and he was rather confident that the city bred mages would have trouble finding him so far out in the country side.

The cottage in the Umar Hills hadn’t been used for years, not since the time of his grandfather. The place involuntarily brought up memories, of his father… of his mother and it strengthened his resolve. He had hated and avoided anything magic most of his life but that came to an end when the Sphere materialized in the slums. How long had it been since Lavok created the damned device? It was back however and Lavok with it. The necromancer might have become a lich by now but it didn’t matter. The sins of the Corthala family were Valygars to bear and to rectify. He was the last and would make sure of it. He had thought much of the sphere after it had appeared. In the end he had resolved to enter it and see if his ancestor was still alive. If so Valygar would strive to end the Lavoks life. But before he had a chance to do anything the cowled wizards had appeared and demanded that he open the sphere for them.

He had told them that his family’s damned legacy would die and that no one would lay their hands on the sphere. They had tried to take him by force then but he had cut through the enforcers and fled. Now he was planning on how to return to the city and enter the sphere. He felt it in his bones, that the damned place would be his grave. But it was to be Lavoks as well. He kept sharpening the sword; it would not be long now.

He could easily pass for a tall elf and few paid much attention to the smiling man walking casually by the temples even if he stood out. Red and black garbs clashed with shock purple hair and a tattoo on his face in the same colour as the hair. Had anyone taken a closer look they would have found that the pointed ears were oddly jagged and that the teeth in the smile were too pointed and sharp. A few random tell tale signs of someone with demon blood in their veins.

Haer`Dalis whistled a jaunty tone as he walked out of the Temple district, tossing an oddly shaped gem between his hands. It had been so easy procuring the planar gem from the wizard. The man had been too caught up in an argument with his imp to even notice the actor sneaking up on him. A few quick strokes of his twin blades later and both wizard and imp had rushed into oblivion. The mage had been old which may account for his violent debate with the imp, once he may have been a force to be reckoned with but he had crumbled slowly over the years. There probably wasn’t many years left in him but Haer`Dalis didn’t have years to wait and had simply given entropy a push.

Sometime later he pushed open the door to the Five Flagons whose basement held their esteemed playhouse. The inn was rather empty during the middle of the day and Haer`Dalis could see the Halfling proprietor sitting behind the bar. The bard waved a greeting and went down the stairs to the playhouse. It was a large open space half filled with benches and the rest taken up by a stage and back rooms. On the stage stood a slender dark woman in a robe looking distraught opposite of her stood a short sad looking bald man.

“Oh, Kiranaldo, where have you gone?” the woman asked.

“He has abandoned you…”Began the short man when a second woman swept out on the stage and onto the floor. She wore a gaudy dress as flaming red as her hair, her skin however was almost a shade of grey and her eyes seemed to glow like lamps in the half darkened theatre.

“Our dark bird has returned and the prize is with him!” she cried with a powerful voice. When she reached Haer`Dalis, she reached around his waist and kissed him.

“I have returned, Miss Raelis.” He said and smiled, holding up the gem.

“Earlier then expected as well.” She replied and took the gem. It was cut from some fine crystal and the carver had left crystalline spikes jutting out from the oval body.

“I believe we can wait another day or two and put on a spectacular final play before we leave.” She turned towards the stage where a few more people now stood.

“What say you? Shall we perform for the primes one more time?” she asked them and was met with a roar of agreement.

#2 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 26 August 2006 - 09:58 PM

I apologize but I have been dropkicked by writers block. I can’t seem to get anywhere at the moment so here is a little interlude to tide you over. It is break in all the fighting as well :twisted:

Nice idea, it is pretty interesting to learn what the other characters are doing.

Jaheira marched resolutely away from the large waterfront estate that served as the base of operation for the Harpers in Athkatla. The scowl on her face made the noisy crowds of sailor’s part before her. She had spent the last day and a half with the Harpers trying to drum up information on Irenicus and Groders whereabouts as well as help to bring Irenicus to justice, one way or the other. Unfortunately, the current leader of the Athkatlan Harpers, Galvarey seemed more interested in his own advancement them finding a murderer of comrades. He had also shown a lot of interest in Groders heritage, trying to constantly turn their conversations in the direction.

I don’t think she will be able to convince Groder to go on a visit to Harper Hold.

But she loved one man true,
and he died...as men do,
and now there is naught but grief there.

;)

“A drow? Surely it couldn’t be? But of course it would be; the birds of the same feather.” She thought and continued listening to Bernard

Alas, I believe that Viconia will probably hold Groder’s ear very firmly and I can’t imagine what Jaheira can do to change that.

Jaheira leaned back in the chair as Bernard returned to his duties at the bar. She had to make a decision, if she left the city she might pass Groder and his group going back but if she didn’t go, who knew how long it would take before he returned. Since Galvarey wouldn’t help she would have to make due on her own and she had not been counting on that. There had of course not been anyway to foresee the obstruction that was Galvarey. She hefted her staff and stood, she would make her way to the stables by the gates to see what renting a horse might cost.

I am sure Groder will be happy to see her. ;)

The stone moved slowly and methodically along the sword, sharpening the edges. When he held it up to inspect it, the blade glinted blue. It was not magic; he would not traffic with anything magic, there would be just one time and soon. The ore that had served as the blades birthmother had been discoloured by the gods knew what. He kept sharpening the blade slowly; it wouldn’t be long now, not long at all. Valygar Corthala, last of that name sat on his bed and methodically sharpened the blue blade. He had served in the Amnian army as a scout and he was rather confident that the city bred mages would have trouble finding him so far out in the country side.

Of course, a good Diviner would have been able to find him almost anywhere. But what losers study Divination, anyway? :lol:

He could easily pass for a tall elf and few paid much attention to the smiling man walking casually by the temples even if he stood out. Red and black garbs clashed with shock purple hair and a tattoo on his face in the same colour as the hair. Had anyone taken a closer look they would have found that the pointed ears were oddly jagged and that the teeth in the smile were too pointed and sharp. A few random tell tale signs of someone with demon blood in their veins.

Oh, and don’t even mention the hooves and the tail!

Haer`Dalis whistled a jaunty tone as he walked out of the Temple district, tossing an oddly shaped gem between his hands. It had been so easy procuring the planar gem from the wizard. The man had been too caught up in an argument with his imp to even notice the actor sneaking up on him. A few quick strokes of his twin blades later and both wizard and imp had rushed into oblivion. The mage had been old which may account for his violent debate with the imp, once he may have been a force to be reckoned with but he had crumbled slowly over the years. There probably wasn’t many years left in him but Haer`Dalis didn’t have years to wait and had simply given entropy a push.

Right… why could the in-game Haer not be as competent and save us a trip through the sewers to rescue him?

“I believe we can wait another day or two and put on a spectacular final play before we leave.” She turned towards the stage where a few more people now stood.

“What say you? Shall we perform for the primes one more time?” she asked them and was met with a roar of agreement.

Hopefully there will be no one around to help when they are all sucked into the Planar Prison. ;)

#3 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 27 August 2006 - 01:08 PM

“How are you doing Jaheira, been a while, eh? Heard you and Khalid were involved in stopping the war, where is he, I can’t see him?” He asked jovially and looked around. The question stabbed her still fresh wounds. The pain must have registered in her face because Bernard’s face fell.

;)

“Well about that Groder, I did hear something about a blonde kid that apparently rescued a drow, would you believe it, a drow from being burned outside the prison. Killed a few Beshabans as well, I hear.”

Word gets around in this version of Athkatla! The game always seems to imply that everyone knows you're heroic but never that they know the details of what you do, including your involvement in dubious rescues.

He had told them that his family’s damned legacy would die and that no one would lay their hands on the sphere. They had tried to take him by force then but he had cut through the enforcers and fled. Now he was planning on how to return to the city and enter the sphere. He felt it in his bones, that the damned place would be his grave. But it was to be Lavoks as well. He kept sharpening the sword; it would not be long now.

Ah, the angst.

I guess he's not Mekrath's slave in this version.

“Our dark bird has returned and the prize is with him!” she cried with a powerful voice. When she reached Haer`Dalis, she reached around his waist and kissed him.

I don't care for Haer'Dalis, but you write him well :twisted:

#4 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 27 August 2006 - 02:43 PM

[quote name="Theodur"][quote]I apologize but I have been dropkicked by writers block. I can’t seem to get anywhere at the moment so here is a little interlude to tide you over. It is break in all the fighting as well :lol:

Nice idea, it is pretty interesting to learn what the other characters are doing.
[/quote]

Thanks, I had been thinking about an interlude for sometime.

[quote]
[quote]Jaheira marched resolutely away from the large waterfront estate that served as the base of operation for the Harpers in Athkatla. The scowl on her face made the noisy crowds of sailor’s part before her. She had spent the last day and a half with the Harpers trying to drum up information on Irenicus and Groders whereabouts as well as help to bring Irenicus to justice, one way or the other. Unfortunately, the current leader of the Athkatlan Harpers, Galvarey seemed more interested in his own advancement them finding a murderer of comrades. He had also shown a lot of interest in Groders heritage, trying to constantly turn their conversations in the direction.[/quote]

I don’t think she will be able to convince Groder to go on a visit to Harper Hold.
[/quote]

Oh, She won`t be taking him there yet. Galvarey just managed to make her angry.

[quote]
[quote]“Oh, I didn’t know, Jaheira. My condolences, he was a good man.”

But she loved one man true,
and he died...as men do,
and now there is naught but grief there.

:D
[/quote]

Aye, it is sad.

[quote]
[quote]“A drow? Surely it couldn’t be? But of course it would be; the birds of the same feather.” She thought and continued listening to Bernard

Alas, I believe that Viconia will probably hold Groder’s ear very firmly and I can’t imagine what Jaheira can do to change that.
[/quote]

Oh, He is good at being a stubborn bastard without her.

[quote]
[quote]Jaheira leaned back in the chair as Bernard returned to his duties at the bar. She had to make a decision, if she left the city she might pass Groder and his group going back but if she didn’t go, who knew how long it would take before he returned. Since Galvarey wouldn’t help she would have to make due on her own and she had not been counting on that. There had of course not been anyway to foresee the obstruction that was Galvarey. She hefted her staff and stood, she would make her way to the stables by the gates to see what renting a horse might cost. [/quote]

I am sure Groder will be happy to see her. ;)
[/quote]

Really happy. :twisted:

[quote]
[quote]The stone moved slowly and methodically along the sword, sharpening the edges. When he held it up to inspect it, the blade glinted blue. It was not magic; he would not traffic with anything magic, there would be just one time and soon. The ore that had served as the blades birthmother had been discoloured by the gods knew what. He kept sharpening the blade slowly; it wouldn’t be long now, not long at all. Valygar Corthala, last of that name sat on his bed and methodically sharpened the blue blade. He had served in the Amnian army as a scout and he was rather confident that the city bred mages would have trouble finding him so far out in the country side.[/quote]

Of course, a good Diviner would have been able to find him almost anywhere. But what losers study Divination, anyway? ;)
[/quote]

I didn`t actually think of divination. Just shows that no one likes it. ;)

[quote]
[quote]He could easily pass for a tall elf and few paid much attention to the smiling man walking casually by the temples even if he stood out. Red and black garbs clashed with shock purple hair and a tattoo on his face in the same colour as the hair. Had anyone taken a closer look they would have found that the pointed ears were oddly jagged and that the teeth in the smile were too pointed and sharp. A few random tell tale signs of someone with demon blood in their veins.[/quote]

Oh, and don’t even mention the hooves and the tail!
[/quote]

Well, he is lucky not to have those.

[quote]
[quote]Haer`Dalis whistled a jaunty tone as he walked out of the Temple district, tossing an oddly shaped gem between his hands. It had been so easy procuring the planar gem from the wizard. The man had been too caught up in an argument with his imp to even notice the actor sneaking up on him. A few quick strokes of his twin blades later and both wizard and imp had rushed into oblivion. The mage had been old which may account for his violent debate with the imp, once he may have been a force to be reckoned with but he had crumbled slowly over the years. There probably wasn’t many years left in him but Haer`Dalis didn’t have years to wait and had simply given entropy a push. [/quote]

Right… why could the in-game Haer not be as competent and save us a trip through the sewers to rescue him?
[/quote]

So our party has more chances to die!

[quote]
[quote]“I believe we can wait another day or two and put on a spectacular final play before we leave.” She turned towards the stage where a few more people now stood.

[quote]“What say you? Shall we perform for the primes one more time?” she asked them and was met with a roar of agreement.[/quote]

Hopefully there will be no one around to help when they are all sucked into the Planar Prison. :)[/quote]

I am more worried about what will come out :)

#5 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 27 August 2006 - 02:49 PM

;)

And the memories are still fresh.

Word gets around in this version of Athkatla! The game always seems to imply that everyone knows you're heroic but never that they know the details of what you do, including your involvement in dubious rescues.

Yep, it seems like word should get around.

Ah, the angst.

I do imagine that Vally would be somewhat depressed.

I guess he's not Mekrath's slave in this version.

Nope, no sewers this time!

I don't care for Haer'Dalis, but you write him well :twisted:

Thank you

#6 Guest_sparrow_*

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:33 AM

I apologize but I have been dropkicked by writers block. I can’t seem to get anywhere at the moment so here is a little interlude to tide you over. It is break in all the fighting as well

Aw :lol: - Í'm sort of the opposite, my writers block is gone but I don't really have much time to write at the moment. Tide me over it most certainly did, I really did enjoy the look at what the other NPCs are up to. I like the way you write them all, especially Haer Dalis who I adore anyway. ;) Wonder how Groder and co. will deal with him! Thank you Futurist, looking forward to more as usual and hope your writer's block passes soon. Finally, a really cute line that made me smile (I thought better of quoting the whole HD passage back to you):

Jaheira marched resolutely away from the large waterfront estate that served as the base of operation for the Harpers in Athkatla. The scowl on her face made the noisy crowds of sailor’s part before her.

#7 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:31 AM

I apologize but I have been dropkicked by writers block. I can’t seem to get anywhere at the moment so here is a little interlude to tide you over. It is break in all the fighting as well

Aw 8) - Í'm sort of the opposite, my writers block is gone but I don't really have much time to write at the moment. Tide me over it most certainly did, I really did enjoy the look at what the other NPCs are up to. I like the way you write them all, especially Haer Dalis who I adore anyway. :? Wonder how Groder and co. will deal with him! Thank you Futurist, looking forward to more as usual and hope your writer's block passes soon. Finally, a really cute line that made me smile (I thought better of quoting the whole HD passage back to you):

It is that "real life" always interupting. Thank you for you comments.

Jaheira marched resolutely away from the large waterfront estate that served as the base of operation for the Harpers in Athkatla. The scowl on her face made the noisy crowds of sailor’s part before her.

Thanks, I hoped it would elicit some smiles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com