I can hear the voices when I'm dreaming
I can hear them say

Carry on my wayward son
There'll be peace when you are done
Lay your weary head to rest
Don't you cry no more

“Carry On My Wayward Son” Kansas

“Well,” Imoen said, “there it is.”

None of the five riders seemed eager to urge their horse forward as they stared at the massive fortress in the distance. Finally Jarran said, “We didn’t ride all this way just to stare at stone walls. Either they let us in or they don’t.”

The sun had set before they reached the gates of Candlekeep. A man in armor approached the gate from the other side and said sternly, “I am the Keeper of the Portal. To enter Candlekeep…”

“Hiya!” Imoen said. “We know all about needing a book.”

Startled by the interruption, the Keeper squinted in the dim torchlight. “Imoen?” His eyes turned. “Jarran? I must… one moment, I must summon…” The rest of his words were lost as he dashed away.

The companions looked at each other uneasily. Jarran gave Jaheira a nervous grin and said, “At least the guards on the wall haven’t opened fire.”

After several minutes, the Keeper returned with two robed men at his heels. “You!” cried Ulraunt. “You dare to return to the site of your foul deeds?”

The other man said softly, “Ulraunt.”

“Do not try to defend him, Tethtoril! Give me one reason I should let Jarran inside these walls!”

“Would thee blame him for another’s villainy?”

“Yes! Those creatures would not have come if Jarran had not led them here. He brought death to my library.”

Jarran said quietly, “Ulraunt, we have had our disagreements, but do you really think I would do anything to harm the people I grew up with?”

Ulraunt’s eyes narrowed. “Possibly. You had changed when you returned.”

“Yes, I had. Being chased by assassins and seeing your father die will do that to a man.”

The leader of Candlekeep stared at him for a long moment. “I told Gorion when he asked for sanctuary that you would be the death of him. Why are you here, Jarran?”

“To mourn the dead and spend time with loved ones. This was my home for twenty years and I have friends here… at least I hope I still do.”

Tethtoril said quietly, “Can thee deny the lad a chance to visit his father’s grave, Ulraunt?”

“Very well, but you will be responsible for them, Tethtoril. Any damage they cause will be on your head.” He turned and stalked away.

Imoen made a face as the massive gates opened. “Gee, nice to see that Ulraunt is as cheerful as ever.”

Tethtoril said, “He was very shaken by Gorion’s death. But it is good to see that thine own nature is unchanged. Jarran, would thee and thy friends like to dine with me tonight?”

“That is very kind of you. First, however, we need to stable our horses and… get rooms at the inn.”

Imoen’s face fell. “We… we saw a doppelganger of Puffguts. Is he… did…”

“Good Winthrop survived, my friends. We found him bound in his own wine cellar.”

Jarran let out a long sigh of relief as Imoen’s eyes filled with tears. She said, “I never thought I would be so happy to hear that, not after all the hours I spent scrubbing his floors.”

“He will be pleased to see thee, child. Come to my rooms when thee are ready, and we shall share news while we share a good meal.”

The group dismounted and led their horses to the inn. Valygar craned his neck with curiosity as he took in the site of the fortress library. “I never imagined it was so large.”

Imoen nodded. “There are more people here than you would think. The Readers and Chanters and monks and guards and sages and priests… a lot of people come here to study from the books.”

Sarevok ran his fingers through his uncombed hair and scowled. “They make a great show of suspicion, yet they are over-trusting. They asked not a word about your companions, Jarran.”

Jarran grinned. “I suppose that deep down, Ulraunt knows that I’m not going to harm my old home.”

Jaheira said quietly, “What I find odd is that we have walked past a number of people, and none have given you a second glance. I would have thought that many would have the same response as the Keeper of the Portal.”

“Think about it, Jaheira. Do I look much like the boy who followed Gorion out of those gates?”

“No. No, I suppose not. Imoen too has changed. Having seen the path from boy to man, I had forgotten where the journey began.”

After stabling their horses, the companions entered the inn. Behind the bar was a heavily built man engaged in banter with his customer. He turned to greet his new customers with a smile. “Welcome, travelers! You’ve come to the right place, this is the best inn in Candlekeep. O’ course, it’s the only inn, haha!”

Imoen stepped forward and said softly, “Still telling that joke, Puffguts?”

“Puffguts? Nobody has called me that in…” He stared at the young woman. “Imoen? My little Immy?”

She ran to him and he hugged her close. “Immy… my girl, I never thought I’d see you again. All the stories we heard from Tethyr… Many a night I thought of my little Imoen, out there in a war. And then it was said that all the Children were killed… I’ve wished I could hear your laugh just once more.”

They clung together for a long time. Jarran wiped his eyes and said, “Now that made coming here worthwhile. I don’t care how many of Ulraunt’s rants I have to listen to.”

Winthrop turned at the sound of Jarran’s voice. “You’re alive as well? This is truly a miracle.” The innkeeper grinned and said, “I didn’t recognize you under all that hair. Going for the dwarven look? And Jaheira, it’s been ages since one of, er, your sort stayed here. Where’s that boney husband of yours?”

Jaheira looked startled for a moment, then said solemnly, “I am afraid Khalid was killed.”

“Ah, I am sorry to hear that. I didn’t know him well, but he seemed a good man.”

“He was. But I have been most fortunate. I have a new husband, though I would hardly call him boney.” She took Jarran’s hand.

“My, my. Now there’s a surprise. Jarran alive, standing in my tavern, and married to boot. I’ve missed the two of you, but I don’t think I realized how much until now.”

Imoen sniffed loudly then managed a smile. “I missed you, too, but I didn’t miss your chores.”

“Oh ho! Perhaps I should set you to making beds and tending fires.”

She giggled. “I don’t think you would like the way I make fire now, Winthrop. I guess Gorion’s lessons finally took hold, ‘cause I’m an archmage. And I’m married, too.”

“Married. My little Immy married. Does he wear bells and motley?”

“Leathers, usually,” Valygar said dryly. He gave Winthrop a small bow. “I am Lord Valygar Corthala of Amn. Imoen has told me a great deal about you.”

Winthrop stared at him for a long moment before grinning broadly. “Ah, little Immy, I see why you picked him. Every jester needs a mark. And a lord! Have you got a manor house now?”

With a wicked grin, Imoen said, “Yep. You can come visit someday.”

“I’d love to, if I can ever stir myself out of Candlekeep. But you all look tired. I’ll see you to your rooms and fix you a hot meal.”

“Thanks, but Tethtoril has already invited us to dinner. I’m sure he wants to hear all the news first hand. Tomorrow?”

“Of course. Will you be staying a while?”

Jarran said, “We have some business in Baldur’s Gate to attend to, but we are in no hurry. We will have plenty of time to visit.”

After the group had retired to their rooms, Jarran found himself staring into a mirror. “Jaheira?”

“Yes?”

“Do you… this is going to sound silly. Do you like the way I look?”

The druid gave him an amused glance. “I believe I have told you many times that I find you attractive.”

“No, I mean… I look so different than I did then. Is that a good thing?”

Jaheira came to his side and studied him critically. “You have matured, and it shows in your face, your bearing, your stride… in your whole appearance. That is not something that can change.”

The bard considered his reflection with a small frown. “When I left Irenicus’ prison, I had long hair and a shaggy beard. I don’t look like a barbarian any longer, but I still look like a person I don’t want to remember.”

“Your scars have been healed,” Jaheira said softly as she stroked the side of his face. “Your beard was once a shield to protect you from the memory of our torture. Do you still need to shelter yourself against that part of our past?”

“I suppose I don’t. And I... I don’t want to look in the mirror and see Irenicus’ prisoner, not any longer. Maybe it is time to be Gorion’s son again.”

“So after all this time, you will simply return to the way you were?”

“No. I’ve grown to like wearing my hair at my shoulders, but the beard can go. Unless... unless you don’t want me to shave it off?”

“I want you to be happy. I will kiss your lips, surrounded by hair or no.”

Jarran grinned. “A shave and a trim then?”

“I will call for hot water. Let Gorion’s son return.”

#2 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:28 PM

The ending is very sweet :) I like the ritual aspect of him removing his beard.

How did the Keeper recognize them after all this time?

#3 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:55 PM

The ending is very sweet :) I like the ritual aspect of him removing his beard.

Thankee. :D

How did the Keeper recognize them after all this time?

Well, by AC's timeline it has been about two years since Gorion's death. While they have changed, it wouldn't be so drastic that they would be unrecognizable. But he didn't know them right away, kind of like when you walk past a friend who has gotten a new hair style or is dressed differently than normal. Sometimes it takes a minute for it to sink in.

Thanks for commenting!

#4 Guest_Maneyan_*

Posted 04 May 2006 - 07:51 AM

After several minutes, the Keeper returned with two robed men at his heels. “You!” cried Ulraunt. “You dare to return to the site of your foul deeds?”

*groan* someone drop a brick on his head please

“Yes! Those creatures would not have come if Jarran had not led them here. He brought death to my library.”

his library? isn't he just, like, the head librarian?

Tethtoril said, “He was very shaken by Gorion’s death. But it is good to see that thine own nature is unchanged. Jarran, would thee and thy friends like to dine with me tonight?”

That I never understood. was Ulraunt Gorion's friend or? to me it seemed like they didn't have much in common

After stabling their horses, the companions entered the inn. Behind the bar was a heavily built man engaged in banter with his customer. He turned to greet his new customers with a smile. “Welcome, travelers! You’ve come to the right place, this is the best inn in Candlekeep. O’ course, it’s the only inn, haha!”

*snicker* heavily built how?

She ran to him and he hugged her close. “Immy… my girl, I never thought I’d see you again. All the stories we heard from Tethyr… Many a night I thought of my little Imoen, out there in a war. And then it was said that all the Children were killed… I’ve wished I could hear your laugh just once more.”

damn that must have been tough for him

*snerk*

“I will call for hot water. Let Gorion’s son return.

:) the thing is, he can't return, I think Jarran is fooling himself. There will allways be something to remind him about that, the beard is just one thing of many that marks him.

#5 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 05 May 2006 - 01:33 AM

*groan* someone drop a brick on his head please

:)

his library? isn't he just, like, the head librarian?

Candlekeep isn't just a library, it is a fortress city, and Ulraunt is the ruler.

That I never understood. was Ulraunt Gorion's friend or? to me it seemed like they didn't have much in common

That will be discussed soon.

*snicker* heavily built how?

How about just plain heavy?

damn that must have been tough for him

It certainly was.

*snerk*

:wink:

“I will call for hot water. Let Gorion’s son return.

:D the thing is, he can't return, I think Jarran is fooling himself. There will allways be something to remind him about that, the beard is just one thing of many that marks him.

No, things can never be the way they were. But this is his way of moving past his life as a Bhaalspawn. He wants the life of a mortal man, and shaving off the beard is one way of expressing that.

#6 Guest_Jean_*

Posted 05 May 2006 - 08:27 AM

Well,” Imoen said, “there it is.”

Gngh. Two years on, many many evil plots thwarted and Jarran and Imoen are back where they started. A very odd experience for them.

The companions looked at each other uneasily. Jarran gave Jaheira a nervous grin and said, “At least the guards on the wall haven’t opened fire.”

*hugs* Poor Jarran. What a miserable greeting he gets.

Imoen made a face as the massive gates opened. “Gee, nice to see that Ulraunt is as cheerful as ever.”

Much love for Imoen.

“He will be pleased to see thee, child. Come to my rooms when thee are ready, and we shall share news while we share a good meal.”

Out of interest, why do some people use 'thee' when others don't - but the ones who do generally avoid 'thou'? Is it a sign of their age - that they still use the archaic pronoun when younger people stick with 'you'? And does it follow the pattern thee = familiar; you = formal. Or thee = singular; you = plural?

“No. No, I suppose not. Imoen too has changed. Having seen the path from boy to man, I had forgotten where the journey began.”

That definitely makes sense. How many times have I been shocked to look at photos of school friends from infant school? I never noticed them changing, but change they have.

Poor man. Probably thought Imoen had been torn about by a pitchfork-wielding mob, or something of the sort.

Jarran said, “We have some business in Baldur’s Gate to attend to, but we are in no hurry. We will have plenty of time to visit.”

*gulps* I hope it goes well, if this business is what I think it is.

“No. I’ve grown to like wearing my hair at my shoulders, but the beard can go. Unless... unless you don’t want me to shave it off?”

That's the best way. Balance between past and present. Sensible choice of Jarran's.

#7 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 05 May 2006 - 09:44 PM

Well,” Imoen said, “there it is.”

Gngh. Two years on, many many evil plots thwarted and Jarran and Imoen are back where they started. A very odd experience for them.

Very odd indeed.

*hugs* Poor Jarran. What a miserable greeting he gets.

Well, the last time he came people died. And since then, lots of stories and rumors have gone around about him. Naturally people are going to be concerned.

Much love for Imoen.

:)

Out of interest, why do some people use 'thee' when others don't - but the ones who do generally avoid 'thou'? Is it a sign of their age - that they still use the archaic pronoun when younger people stick with 'you'? And does it follow the pattern thee = familiar; you = formal. Or thee = singular; you = plural?

Blame Bioware. Tethtoril uses the thee-and-thou routine in his game speech, and Elminster does as well. Strangely, Ulraunt switched back and forth.

That definitely makes sense. How many times have I been shocked to look at photos of school friends from infant school? I never noticed them changing, but change they have.

I think we've all had that happen at least once.

Poor man. Probably thought Imoen had been torn about by a pitchfork-wielding mob, or something of the sort.

Or slaughtered in one of the battles between Bhaalspawn factions.

*gulps* I hope it goes well, if this business is what I think it is.

We shall see...

That's the best way. Balance between past and present. Sensible choice of Jarran's.

He tends to be practical. He knows he can never go back to his youth in Candlekeep, but there is no reason he has to wear a reminder of his 'bad old days'.

Thanks for commenting!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com