Ember's Tale 10: Strange encounters

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 06 April 2006 - 07:48 PM

Chapter 10: Strange encounters

They were only a stone's throw away from the bears. All three of the animals were clearly visible through the trees; they were laying on the riverbank, dozing in the bright sunshine. Two of them appeared to be asleep, while the third was awake. Imoen was filled with nervous excitement. She had never been this close to a bear before, and for the first time she realized how huge the animals were. The awake one was aware of them, following them lazily with its eyes as they moved. What would they do if it decided to attack them?

"Do not look at them," Kivan murmured quietly, "and do not panic. Follow me." He led them in a slow, casual walk around and away from the bears. None of them spoke till the bears were well out of sight.

"Well done, children," Kivan said, halting next to a low cliff-face of reddish rock.

"Why didn't the bears attack us?" Imoen asked.

"They did not feel threatened. Few wild animals will attack people unless provoked. Even wolves will normally prefer to run away, unless they are starved or insane."

"Normally?"

"Too many people have moved into the woods lately. They scare away the wolves' usual prey, and many are unarmed. Easy prey for a flock of wolves on the hunt."

"But we aren't defenseless."

"Indeed, child, but wolves that have gained a taste for sentient flesh may not be able to tell the unarmed from the armed."

"...Oh."

They followed the river for quite a while, and when it emptied into a lake, they continued along the gravelly lakeshore. The air was still and warm under darkening clouds. Maybe there'll be thunder later, Imoen thought. It had been a quiet day; they hadn't run into any of the hobgoblin patrols they had become accustomed to, and had not even been in a skirmish since they were accosted by a handful of half-ogres yesterday evening. It hadn't taken long to deal with the uppity brutes, and as she aimed her bow at the last standing half-ogre, Imoen had remembered something. "Bjornin says hello!" she had yelled as she shot him.

She and Ember had then spent half an hour discussing how likely it was that these were the same half-ogres as the ones had troubled the old paladin in Beregost. It had ended in a stalemate when the roast hare they had been cooking for supper was ready, Imoen recalled with a grin.

Kivan halted in front of them; Imoen wondered what he'd heard this time. More bears, or maybe some bandits?

"There is swordfighting nearby," the elf said and turned away from the lakeshore. Picking up his increased pace, the others followed him.

---

It was the most unfair fight Imoen had ever seen. A dozen or two gnolls were chasing a single cloaked figure. Every now and then, the figure would turn and slash at one of the gnolls with a pair of curved swords, but mostly he or she was just dodging the gnolls' halberds.

"By Helm, we must aid him!" Ajantis cried.

Kivan didn't answer in words; instead, he drew his bow. Imoen pulled her own bow off her back and readied it as Ember and Ajantis drew their swords and ran towards the closest gnolls. Ajantis used his shield to block the swing of a halberd before striking, while Ember dodged a blow aimed at her and spun around to cut the arm off the gnoll that'd attacked her.

Watching Ember fight was actually becoming fun, Imoen mused as she aimed at a gnoll. Her friend sparred with Ajantis every morning and most evenings, and it was beginning to show. Even without a shield, she didn't get injured much more often than Ajantis did, and her movements were growing more and more fluid. It's almost like dancing.

Her own archery practices with Kivan were showing as well, Imoen admitted to herself with no small amount of pride as her arrow struck a gnoll in the eye. She smoothly notched a new arrow and singled out another target, ignoring the awful sight of the dead and dying bodies in front of her as much as she could.

The cloaked figure was running less and less and fighting back more and more as the gnolls fell left and right. Soon, only a dozen gnolls were left standing, then half a dozen, then three. The five fighters closed in around the three gnolls. The cloaked stranger spun and slashed viciously at one of the gnolls. For a moment, a glimpse of a dark face was visible under his hood.

Kivan inhaled sharply next to Imoen, and his next shot went wild and struck a tree. Before Imoen could ask what was wrong, the last two gnolls fell. The cloaked stranger immediately approached them.

"Well met, strangers; I appreciate your assistance," the cloaked man said in a husky voice. "I do not recall banditry being of such epidemic proportions in this area; how long has this been so?"

"Long enough, drow," Kivan said.

The cloaked man sighed. "I assure you, I am not your enemy. I am Drizzt Do'Urden," he said, pulling back his hood, "and it is many years since I left the Underdark."

So this is what a drow looks like, Imoen thought as she looked at the man, who was barely as tall as herself. His face was as dark as coal and formed a strong contrast to his white hair, which grew quite a bit past his shoulders. A mane like was probably quite attractive when groomed, but right now it was matted and stained with blood and dirt. And his eyes were the weirdest color; she'd read somewhere that almost all drow had red eyes, but this man's eyes were a kind of greyish purple.

"I have heard of that name," Ember said, "but how do we know you are he? You may be a liar."

"Yeah," Imoen said, "you look way too short to be the Drizzt I heard of. You know, the one who's seven feet tall, rides a dragon and eats fireballs for breakfast?" Her reward was a drow with a slightly suffering look on his face and an Ember that appeared to have problems holding back a chuckle.

"I may be able to solve this problem," Ajantis said. "Unless you object, drow?"

The dark elf sighed again. "Nay, I do not object. Do what you must to verify my words."

Ajantis closed his eyes and chanted a few syllables. A faint glow surrounded the drow, then faded. "I detect no evil intent in him," Ajantis said. "It seems reasonable to believe that he is who he says he is."

"Indeed I am. Now, perhaps you could lower your bow a little, good elf?"

"Perhaps," Kivan replied, lowering his bow an inch or two.

"So, if you really are Drizzt, what are you doing here?" Ember asked.

"I am merely passing through as I journey to Icewind Dale. It is a long journey, and these constant interruptions, whether by gnolls, hobgoblins or other bandits, only make it longer."

"But can't you handle them, though?" Imoen asked innocently. "After all, I've heard stories where you singlehandedly took on an entire dungeon full of kobolds!"

"I appreciate your confidence in my abilities, but there is a large difference between taking on a dozen fiends in a row, and taking on all at once."

"But that's what you did in the story! Fought all the kobolds in the dungeon at the same time! It was a very heroic story, I thought."

Drizzt smiled wearily at Imoen. "Stories are but stories."

"You said you have encountered bandits," Kivan said. "Did you see if they wore any particular markings?"

"Indeed I have," Drizzt said. "Some have been like these gnolls, undisciplined and poorly organized, but there are others in these areas that are no mere vagabonds with blades. The humans bear the style of the Black Talon, and the hobgoblins that of the Chill. Mercenary groups, both of them."

"How do you recognize their styles?" Ember asked.

"The Chill wear markings of blue and white, while the Black Talons wear markings of red and black, often a black, taloned hand on red."

"We have seen those markings as well," Imoen said, glancing at Kivan. I wonder if he already knew their name.

"Where did you last encounter the Black Talon bandits?" Kivan asked.

"Four of them attempted to ambush me this morning, by the river a few miles south of here," Drizzt said. "They are your particular prey, yes?"

Kivan nodded.

"We strive to return peace to these lands," Ajantis proclaimed.

"I see. A noble goal indeed, and one I would hold dear myself. With luck, you may even uncover the mastermind behind the raider, although you may find that task to be easier if you tread subtly in your dealings with these mercenaries."

"Pardon?" Ajantis said, appearing to be very confused by the drow's choice of words. Imoen didn't blame him.

"Fighting them is not necessarily the most fruitful road to travel. After all, it is doubtful their bodies will give you more than the most cursory hint at who their masters are."

"In other words, you think we should try to be sneaky," Imoen said.

"Yes."

"We thank you for your sage advice," Kivan said in polite yet clipped tones, "and we wish you well on your journey."

The drow straightened himself. "Well met, and may luck be on your side." He wrapped his cloak around him, sheathed his scimitars, and strode northward.

Imoen chuckled. "So that was the famous Drizzt Do'Urden. What did you think of him, Em?"

"Em?"

Imoen looked around and saw that her friend had walked a short distance away from the others and was gazing across the large meadow where they had fought. She walked towards Ember and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Hey, whatcha doing?" Imoen asked.

Ember slowly turned towards her, then back towards the meadow. Imoen was sure it was normally a lovely, lively place with flowers and bees and rabbits, but today it was littered with gnoll corpses and broken halberds, gouged where a foot or a blow had landed on the grass, and stained red with blood. No birdsong came from the surrounding trees; instead, there was a steadily increasing buzzing of flies.

"This place looks like a battlefield," Imoen said, wrinkling her nose in disgust.

"This place is a battlefield," Ember said.

#2 Sumpton

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:54 PM

Another good installment. Kivan seems to be taking the lead on helping Imoen and Ember cope with the mysteries of open adventuring.

I also like your protrail of Drizzt, a more real and personal character then the 'Super-Hero' type. Nicely done. Also like Imoen's insights into hers and Ember's skill.

Having Ember over look the area at the end was a very good touch.

Thanks...
================
Cheers...

#3 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 07 April 2006 - 08:10 AM

They were only a stone's throw away from the bears. All three of the animals were clearly visible through the trees; they were laying on the riverbank, dozing in the bright sunshine. Two of them appeared to be asleep, while the third was awake. Imoen was filled with nervous excitement. She had never been this close to a bear before, and for the first time she realized how huge the animals were. The awake one was aware of them, following them lazily with its eyes as they moved. What would they do if it decided to attack them?

Why kill it for the XP, of course!

"They did not feel threatened. Few wild animals will attack people unless provoked. Even wolves will normally prefer to run away, unless they are starved or insane."

Apparently, the game designers thought that all animals living in the woods near Baldur’s Gate were insane. ;) Really, I hated that part of the game where you had to kill so many wolves and bears. That’s just stupid, the chances of them attacking an armed group of humans would be highly remote.

Not to mention that I always have a certain druid with me – go and try to realistically explain killing so many woodland creatures, then. :snort: ;)

She and Ember had then spent half an hour discussing how likely it was that these were the same half-ogres as the ones had troubled the old paladin in Beregost. It had ended in a stalemate when the roast hare they had been cooking for supper was ready, Imoen recalled with a grin.

Gotta wonder what was that old kook doing out here all on his own, picking fights with packs of half-ogres. ;)

"There is swordfighting nearby," the elf said and turned away from the lakeshore. Picking up his increased pace, the others followed him.

Actually, there’s a genocide, a mass murder going on. ;)

It was the most unfair fight Imoen had ever seen. A dozen or two gnolls were chasing a single cloaked figure. Every now and then, the figure would turn and slash at one of the gnolls with a pair of curved swords, but mostly he or she was just dodging the gnolls' halberds.

It is totally unfair – and completely pointless - I mean, the level difference between him and the gnolls means that he doesn’t get any XP for killing them!

Are you kidding? Look at the trail of dead, disemboweled gnolls!

Kivan inhaled sharply next to Imoen, and his next shot went wild and struck a tree. Before Imoen could ask what was wrong, the last two gnolls fell. The cloaked stranger immediately approached them.

I bet Kivan was cursing himself that they didn’t help the gnolls instead. :?

The cloaked man sighed. "I assure you, I am not your enemy. I am Drizzt Do'Urden," he said, pulling back his hood, "and it is many years since I left the Underdark."

Yes, yes, we know who you are. Sparred with the demons of hell and whatnot. Well, don’t expect *me* to race in and beg for your autograph. ;)

So this is what a drow looks like, Imoen thought as she looked at the man, who was barely as tall as herself. His face was as dark as coal and formed a strong contrast to his white hair, which grew quite a bit past his shoulders. A mane like was probably quite attractive when groomed, but right now it was matted and stained with blood and dirt. And his eyes were the weirdest color; she'd read somewhere that almost all drow had red eyes, but this man's eyes were a kind of greyish purple.

That alone is worth about 20 Mary Sue points! :D :D

Ajantis closed his eyes and chanted a few syllables. A faint glow surrounded the drow, then faded. "He speaks the truth," Ajantis said. "He is Drizzt Do'Urden."

Hmm, what did he cast? Detect Evil would only reveal evil intent (or alignment if you want to take it literally), but not whether he speaks the truth, so Detect Evil would only reveal him as being non-Evil Drow.

"Indeed I am. Perhaps you could lower your bow a little, good elf?"

Aiming for his crotch, now, is he? ;)

Sorry, I just couldn’t resist! :)

"But can't you handle them, though?" Imoen asked innocently. "After all, I've heard stories where you singlehandedly took on an entire dungeon full of kobolds!"

Yes. Yes, he did, the blasted racist. ;)

I think I’m going to start a support campaign for the oppressed monster races. It’s time the kobolds, and the goblins and the hobgobs to be treated with more reverence than just easy XP!

"I see. A noble goal indeed, and one I would hold dear myself. With luck, you may even uncover the mastermind behind the raider, although you may find that task to be easier if you tread subtly in your dealings with these mercenaries."

A Cryptic Hint ™. :)

Ember slowly turned towards her, then back towards the meadow. Imoen was sure it was normally a lovely, lively place with flowers and bees and rabbits, but today it was littered with gnoll corpses and broken halberds, gouged where a foot or a blow had landed on the grass, and stained red with blood. No birdsong came from the surrounding trees; instead, there was a steadily increasing buzzing of flies.

Sometimes I do feel sorry for the poor monsters. :)

"This place looks like a battlefield," Imoen said, wrinkling her nose in disgust.

A sad sight indeed. Good story – hope you don’t mind me picking on Drizzt. I just don’t like the character, even though you wrote him far more pleasant than I found him in the game. :)

#4 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:58 AM

Another good installment. Kivan seems to be taking the lead on helping Imoen and Ember cope with the mysteries of open adventuring.

Oh yes. Who better to teach them about what lurks in the woods?

I also like your protrail of Drizzt, a more real and personal character then the 'Super-Hero' type. Nicely done. Also like Imoen's insights into hers and Ember's skill.

I'm glad you liked those bits, and it seems like I accomplished what I was trying to do to them ;)

Having Ember over look the area at the end was a very good touch.

Thanks ;)

#5 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 07 April 2006 - 11:12 AM

The awake one was aware of them, following them lazily with its eyes as they moved. What would they do if it decided to attack them?

Why kill it for the XP, of course!

What does Jaheira say to that, I wonder? :D

Apparently, the game designers thought that all animals living in the woods near Baldur’s Gate were insane. ;) Really, I hated that part of the game where you had to kill so many wolves and bears. That’s just stupid, the chances of them attacking an armed group of humans would be highly remote.

At least the bears won't touch you unless you step too close to them. But the wolves and wargs and wild dogs... sheesh. It helps a little bit that Aoln at the crossroads will hint at the animals being driven to extremes by hunger, but it's still a bit too much.

Not to mention that I always have a certain druid with me – go and try to realistically explain killing so many woodland creatures, then. :snort: ;)

:D

Gotta wonder what was that old kook doing out here all on his own, picking fights with packs of half-ogres. ;)

He's a paladin and that should answer anything you want to know ;)

Actually, there’s a genocide, a mass murder going on. :)

At least it wasn't the Xvart village.

It is totally unfair – and completely pointless - I mean, the level difference between him and the gnolls means that he doesn’t get any XP for killing them!

Didn't you notice that he's mostly running from them? ;)

Are you kidding? Look at the trail of dead, disemboweled gnolls!

As it happens, this Drizzt is not stupidly overpowered :D

I bet Kivan was cursing himself that they didn’t help the gnolls instead. :D

Or something :)

Yes, yes, we know who you are. Sparred with the demons of hell and whatnot. Well, don’t expect *me* to race in and beg for your autograph. :)

Drizzt: Oh, you just don't understand the pain of fame.

That alone is worth about 20 Mary Sue points! :D :D

Hey, at least I didn't use the L word to describe the color!

Ajantis closed his eyes and chanted a few syllables. A faint glow surrounded the drow, then faded. "He speaks the truth," Ajantis said. "He is Drizzt Do'Urden."

Hmm, what did he cast? Detect Evil would only reveal evil intent (or alignment if you want to take it literally), but not whether he speaks the truth, so Detect Evil would only reveal him as being non-Evil Drow.

I took some liberties with what he could ascertain from the spell :)

"Indeed I am. Perhaps you could lower your bow a little, good elf?"

Aiming for his crotch, now, is he? ;)

Perhaps :D

Sorry, I just couldn’t resist! :)

That's fine by me :)

Yes. Yes, he did, the blasted racist. ;)

He can have the bloody kobolds as far as I'm concerned!

I think I’m going to start a support campaign for the oppressed monster races. It’s time the kobolds, and the goblins and the hobgobs to be treated with more reverence than just easy XP!

Easy? You get shot at by a horde and only get 7 or 35 exp for each of the little nasties and they never.stop.coming...

A Cryptic Hint ™. :D

He is, after all, mysterious and famous and stuff. Elminster would be proud.

Also, I doubt he would understand that Kivan wants to eradicate them from the face of Toril, not merely find out who has hired them lately. (Ajantis would have more of an interest in that, of course)

Sometimes I do feel sorry for the poor monsters. :?

Yeah. Especially when they're casually left to rot in piles.

A sad sight indeed. Good story – hope you don’t mind me picking on Drizzt. I just don’t like the character, even though you wrote him far more pleasant than I found him in the game. :)

Did it look like my Imoen wasn't picking on him? :)

I figured the worst thing I could do to that exp-stealing insufferable knowitall would be to turn him into merely a man. This is also why Elminster limps and needs a stick.

In most of my games, I either kill Drizzt or steal his scimitars. Ember is too nice, so she let him keep them :)

#6 Guest_Finduilas_*

Posted 07 April 2006 - 09:06 PM

Chapter 10: Strange encounters

"Too many people have moved into the woods lately. They scare away the wolves' usual prey, and many are unarmed. Easy prey for a flock of wolves on the hunt."

"But we aren't defenseless."

"Indeed, child, but wolves that have gained a taste for sentient flesh may not be able to tell the unarmed from the armed."

"...Oh."

You mean eating people *doesn't* make them smarter?

Drizz't can't be trying too hard here...he certainly made mincemeat of my party quickly enough when a pickpocket failed.

The cloaked figure was running less and less and fighting back more and more as the gnolls fell left and right. Soon, only a dozen gnolls were left standing, then half a dozen, then three. The five fighters closed in around the three gnolls. The cloaked stranger spun and slashed viciously at one of the gnolls. For a moment, a glimpse of a dark face was visible under his hood.

Oh, yeah. Kivan would definitely have some trouble trusting a drow.

"I have heard of that name," Ember said, "but how do we know you are he? You may be a liar."

"Yeah," Imoen said, "you look way too short to be the Drizzt I heard of. You know, the one who's seven feet tall, rides a dragon and eats fireballs for breakfast?" Her reward was a drow with a slightly suffering look on his face and an Ember that appeared to have problems holding back a chuckle.

LOL. Typical Imoen.

The dark elf sighed again. "Nay, I do not object. Do what you must to verify my words."

Ajantis closed his eyes and chanted a few syllables. A faint glow surrounded the drow, then faded. "He speaks the truth," Ajantis said. "He is Drizzt Do'Urden.'

What spell did he use? Detect Evil would tell you whether or not he was your standard evil drow, but it wouldn't confirm his identity.

"I appreciate your confidence in my abilities, but there is a large difference between taking on a dozen fiends in a row, and taking on all at once."

"But that's what you did in the story! Fought all the kobolds in the dungeon at the same time! It was a very heroic story, I thought."

Next thing you know he'll be saying that the dragon riding didn't happen either!

"The Chill wear markings of blue and white, while the Black Talons wear markings of red and black, often a black, taloned hand on red."

"We have seen those markings as well," Imoen said, glancing at Kivan. I wonder if he already knew their name.

That would be a 'yes', Immy.

"We strive to return peace to these lands," Ajantis proclaimed.

"Pardon?" Ajantis said, appearing to be very confused by the drow's choice of words. Imoen didn't blame him.

He *is* a paladin, after all. :roll:

"Fighting them is not necessarily the most fruitful road to travel. After all, it is doubtful their bodies will give you more than the most cursory hint at who their masters are."

"Yes."

Got it in one.

Better get used to it, Em, you'll see a lot more of them before you're through. :)

#7 Guest_Futurist_*

Posted 08 April 2006 - 09:50 AM

They are pretty big. If it attacks you play dead. I really wonder if that works though.

Lies! I`ve played enough games to know otherwise. :)

We know, you pansy.

He he.. Imoen...

Don`t worry. They will ask perfect strangers to join them.

#8 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:23 AM

"...Oh."

You mean eating people *doesn't* make them smarter?

The whole "You are what you eat" thing is a lie!

That, or they only ate stupid people.

Drizz't can't be trying too hard here...he certainly made mincemeat of my party quickly enough when a pickpocket failed.

Bah, sic a handful of skeletons on him and he's toast.

Oh, yeah. Kivan would definitely have some trouble trusting a drow.

Oh yes indeed.

It's actually kind of funny how you don't even get a change to look at him suspiciously when you run into him (but you do get a chance to suck up to him!) :roll:

LOL. Typical Imoen.

She knows how to put puffguts of all types in their place :)

Ajantis closed his eyes and chanted a few syllables. A faint glow surrounded the drow, then faded. "He speaks the truth," Ajantis said. "He is Drizzt Do'Urden.'

What spell did he use? Detect Evil would tell you whether or not he was your standard evil drow, but it wouldn't confirm his identity.

I improvised a bit with what the spell would reveal. :) (Of course, I could alter the line to say he found no evil intent and therefore presumes he is The Drizzle)

Next thing you know he'll be saying that the dragon riding didn't happen either!

:D

That would be a 'yes', Immy.

Actually, I'm not sure he knew their name. He might only have seen the colours of their markings and heard the name Tazok; there is a chance he didn't know they were Black Talons.

He *is* a paladin, after all. :)

Oh yes. Storm mightily forward in shining armor and all that!

"Yes."

Got it in one.

Immy's a smart girl :D

Better get used to it, Em, you'll see a lot more of them before you're through. :)

One might say she will get used to it :D

#9 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:26 AM

Lies! I`ve played enough games to know otherwise. :)

All wolves in games are insane, you see?

When I played Everquest, the wolves never attacked my druid unless provoked. (I culled the wolfpacks from time to time, killing the sick and elderly. And then I cooked their meat and made armor from their skin. Good times.)

We know, you pansy.

With pansy colored eyes.

He he.. Imoen...

Don'tcha just love her? :)

Don`t worry. They will ask perfect strangers to join them.

It's especially odd as they should recognize the PC from the bounty hunter notices :roll:

#10 Guest_Cel_*

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:32 AM

Ajantis's eeevil detecting abilities have now been altered to this:

Ajantis closed his eyes and chanted a few syllables. A faint glow surrounded the drow, then faded. "I detect no evil intent in him," Ajantis said. "It seems reasonable to believe that he is who he says he is."

"Indeed I am. Now, perhaps you could lower your bow a little, good elf?"

"So, if you really are Drizzt, what are you doing here?" Ember asked.

Hope this version of what he can and cannot determine seems less out of bounds :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com