Omegas 44: Counter-Security

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 24 February 2006 - 06:46 PM

Notemeal:

1. Valygar = perceptive. Let's watch. ;)

2. Some insight into Keldorn's reputation amongst the rest of the Confederation military. Also, I go a tiny bit into his backstory with Falynn and why he's just so gosh-darned cool. ;)

3. Also, why Valygar makes a good non-com, in my opinion.

4. Boo being cute. Yay! :)

5. A Jan story. YAY! :D

-----

“What’s the matter, Ensign?”

Nalia had mostly zoned out. Things were quiet, perhaps a little too much so, and she’d allowed her thoughts to drift elsewhere. It was an easy thing to do – what with the drab, unchanging scenery and the distinct lack in the immediate vicinity of living beings aside from themselves. Daydreaming was a dangerous habit to be indulging in, however, and she knew it; she also hoped she’d live long enough to learn how to fix it. More immediate affairs were vying for her attention, though – among them, the Army Ranger looking at her with mild concern. “Hmmmm? Oh, sorry, Sergeant. I was just thinking.” She shrugged. “The Major’s not an easy person to figure out, y’know? Makes you wonder how us newbies are supposed to manage.”

He nodded and deadpanned a response. “It’s an adventure.”

The ensign snickered mildly. “Sure seems that way. It’s just… one minute she’s yelling at me, as if I were trying to give her orders, and the next she’s asking everyone for opinions on what we should do next. Just seems like a bit of a contradiction, doesn’t it? Especially since I don’t know that many officers, not to mention those as high up as she is, who… well, you know, actually listen to other people… even if only some of the time.” She smiled, sheepishly. “I think I could get used to it.”

“I wouldn’t expect anything less from Colonel Firecam’s protégé,” he said with a shrug.

She looked at him, momentarily stunned. Despite the fact that the venerable Colonel was an officer in the Confederation Space Operations division, and she was a member of ConFleet, his name was well-known even in the circles that she traveled in. That, and several of his dissertations on infantry-scale tactical doctrine had become required reading at the Confederation Military Academy, no matter what branch of the service one was being trained to enter. Nalia blinked. “As in Colonel Keldorn Firecam? The guy from Operation Angel Wire? That Colonel Firecam?”

“The very same,” said Valygar. “This used to be his unit, and Major Llyr was his Executive Officer. He turned command of the squad over to her when he realized he was no longer able to participate in field operations. From what I’ve seen, she often consults with him for strategic and logistical issues before the start of an operation.” He shrugged. “Her style of command is certainly her own, but it’s clearly influenced by his.” He recited a quotation from memory:

“If you give orders and explain nothing, you may get obedience, but you will get no creativity. If you tell your soldiers your purpose, then when your original plan is shown to be faulty, they will find another way to achieve your goal. Explaining to your men does not weaken their respect for you, it proves your respect for them.

Nalia smiled. “I remember reading that back during my R.O.T.C. classes. Not surprisingly, a lot of the brass weren’t too fond of the Colonel’s attitudes on command.”

Valygar gave a brief nod and motioned her to keep moving as he sent a quick glance down a side corridor. Like all the other corridors they’d been encountering, this one was empty, lit by medium-intensity fluorescent lamps, and was a uniform gray in color with the decking matching the gunmetal gray walls. The environment had a completely sterile atmosphere to it, except in places where the Dominion assault team had clashed with Confederation forces. “With good reason. I’ve always found them to be wise words, but there is one important caveat to bear in mind.”

“What’s that?”

“There is nothing wrong with explaining your objectives and your intentions to your subordinates, but ultimately, every unit has only one leader.”

Her smile faded slowly. “I think I see where you’re going with this.” She sighed. “You’re right. It’s her call to make, not mine.”

“It’s her decision, and it’s her responsibility. Any and all consequences will fall upon her, so while she may choose to listen to everyone’s suggestions, none of us can take that burden off her shoulders.”

“I know, I know. It’s not that I was questioning her ability to lead.” Nalia shook her head. “Not at all. I don’t have her training or her experience, and I won’t deny that. You guys are infantry, I’m Fleet; I’m out of my league, and I admit that, too. It’s just… it’s just that I’ve seen lots of commanders who were totally blind to everything but their own opinions on how things should be done, especially when it comes to stuff like… well, like this. But the problem is, it’s one thing to be able to figure out the best way to… I don’t know… capture some hill and hold it against an enemy counterattack, and it’s totally another to be able to figure out whether you should help your own government commit genocide. If she’s wrong, it’ll get lots of people killed.”

“And if you’re wrong, many people will be killed, anyway. I’m not sure I see much of a distinction there, Ensign. Either way, whatever decision she makes will likely result in a large number of deaths. Whatever opinions you may have, however loudly you voice them, and however willing to listen to your arguments the Major may seem to be, the choice is, in the end, not yours to make. I’m sure it’s not something she takes lightly… despite her seeming penchant for taking -everything- lightly.”

“It looks like it runs in the family,” she responded with a snort. She sobered quickly. “I’m just worried that she might not be qualified to make that kind of decision… and I don’t mean that as an insult,” Nalia said, putting up a hand to forestall any possible protests. “Who’s to say -anyone- is qualified to make that kind of call?”

“Perhaps no one is. Perhaps it is inherently unfair to expect any one individual to make choices that would impact the lives of so many more. The bitter truth, however, is that someone -has- to make that decision, and Major Llyr just happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. We can offer her our counsel, and we can offer her our support, but that is all we can do. Personally, I don’t envy her the responsibility.”

The Ensign gave a brief nod. “I don’t, either.” She let out a ragged sigh of frustration. “I don’t know, I suppose I just took advantage of how ‘democratic’ things seemed around here. Opened my big mouth a bit too much.” She frowned, feeling a bit guilty for her outburst earlier – not that that guilt would change her outlook on things. “Guess that’s what happens when you put rookies in with the veterans… not to mention Navy rookies. You know us Fleet types,” she said, forcing a half-hearted smile. “No respect for anyone or anything.”

He didn’t take the bait, instead ignoring the mild joke. “Maybe, maybe not. But disciplinary issues are beside the point. The only real ‘trick’ to any of this is to stay in one piece long enough to become one of those veterans, and the best way to do that-

She cut him off. “Right. To listen to those who’ve seen it all before. I’m trying; trust me.” She turned her head, facing forward again, and watching the rest of the unit proceed in formation several meters ahead of her - just out of earshot. “I plan to be in this for the long haul.”

-----

Slicing the security lockouts on a door was always a delicate task, a very subtle blend of precision electrical work and computer programming. It required a steady hand, an agile mind, and despite Imoen’s eccentricities, foibles of personality, and outright silliness, it was a job she could do with an almost frightening degree of competency. The rational part of Falynn’s mind knew that, and had every confidence in her younger sister’s skills. The less-rational parts, however, were inclined to agree with Jaheira’s appraisal.

“Twenty credits says she electrocutes herself,” the half-elf said with a smirk.

“Make it fifty, and you’ve got a bet.”

Jan, who had, until just now, been lost in the minutiae of working up a set of mental blueprints for a garden vegetable irrigation system that ran on yucca extract, piped up from behind the two of them. “I’d like to take that bet. Thirty credits on Lieutenant Flambé. As my Uncle Georg always used to say, ‘never bet that somebody isn’t going to kill themselves in the most horrific way possible.’ It’s how he made his fortune, you know. He bet everything he had that he would be killed while working on a wheat thresher, and by Gond, he was right. Uncle Georg was a smart one, but he loved tinkering with that wheat thresher… always with the wheat thresher! Still, the proceeds from that bet proved to be quite the windfall. Of course, he couldn’t spend the money, what with him being gnome jerky, but Aunt Stella inherited all those assets and bought herself a lovely mansion in the Poconos. Very picturesque scenery, though a little cold from what I’ve heard… certainly far too cold and inhospitable for vegetable growth. But then again, Stella was quite the oddity, the veritable black sheep of the Jansen family, as it were. She wasn’t much of a gardener at all, but she did like to ski, and she even bought herself a snowmobile. They say she purchased it from a Yeti who’d retired to the area about a dozen years previous, though I’m not sure I believe that. Everyone knows the Bigfoot and Abominable Snowman businesses never stop booming. Why retire when you’re still making credits hand over fist? Come to think of it, I’m rather surprised no one’s started using Bigfoot profit margins as the major indicators in economic forecasts. No market’s quite as stable, after all, as the monster business… except maybe the mobile vegetable peddling trade… but that’s a different matter entirely-”

Valygar groaned. “Here we go again.”

The Sergeant’s comment was followed shortly by a husky, but clearly feminine voice from the general Minsc-vicinity. “Hey, can I get in on this bet?”

Falynn turned her head towards Boo, trying her best (like the others were) to ignore Jan’s anecdote about how his great-great-uncle Getti Jansen had developed a turnip-based fuel additive that he swore would increase the efficiency of your everyday snowmobile. “Boo, you’re a hamster. No, actually, you’re a computer AI that looks like a hamster…”

“Correction: I’m a computer AI that could hack into all your bank accounts; I’m in, like it or not.”

“What would you even do with the money?”

Minsc’s ever-present companion looked as if she were pondering the import of that question, trying to formulate the proper response. Once she had the answer, she proudly proclaimed it. “Why, I’d build a GIANT wheel, of course.”

From up ahead, Imoen jumped back from the console. “Yeouch!” She wrung her hand for a moment, then placed the tip of her index finger in her mouth.

Jaheira snickered. “Easiest fifty credits I ever made.”

Despite having lost the bet, Falynn couldn’t help but chuckle. “You all right?”

“I think my hair’s on fire…”

Falynn laughed louder. “You’re fine. Let’s go.”

#2 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:44 PM

1. Valygar = perceptive. Let's watch. :)

Imoen: "Perceptive? That's a new one."

Valygar: "Haven't been paying attention, have we?"

Bran: "Children..."

2. Some insight into Keldorn's reputation amongst the rest of the Confederation military. Also, I go a tiny bit into his backstory with Falynn and why he's just so gosh-darned cool. :D

Bran: "Keldorn is a great man and a great friend."

Jaheira: "He truly is."

Valygar: "Indeed."

Imoen: "He's like a snuggly grandpa who can kick your ass. Well, not mine, but someone elses."

4. Boo being cute. Yay! :D

Boo: "Squuuueak."

Run!

Daydreaming was a dangerous habit to be indulging in, however, and she knew it; she also hoped she’d live long enough to learn how to fix it.

Bran: "I find it to be a self correcting habit, either you learn or you die."

Jaheira; "Evolution in action."

Bran: "Oooh. Snarky."

Jaheira: "Yes."

Bran: "With Falynn involved, everything is an adventure." ;)

The ensign snickered mildly. “Sure seems that way. It’s just… one minute she’s yelling at me, as if I were trying to give her orders, and the next she’s asking everyone for opinions on what we should do next. Just seems like a bit of a contradiction, doesn’t it? Especially since I don’t know that many officers, not to mention those as high up as she is, who… well, you know, actually listen to other people… even if only some of the time.” She smiled, sheepishly. “I think I could get used to it.”

Bran: "Good officers are hard to find."

Jaheira: "I know I spent my career looking for one."

Bran: "Yeah, you were stuck with crappy ones or exceptional ones."

Jaheira: "And there is no doubt in my mind which category you belong in."

“I wouldn’t expect anything less from Colonel Firecam’s protégé,” he said with a shrug.

Bran: "The few, the proud, the officers Keldorn Firecam thought were worth something."

She looked at him, momentarily stunned. Despite the fact that the venerable Colonel was an officer in the Confederation Space Operations division, and she was a member of ConFleet, his name was well-known even in the circles that she traveled in. That, and several of his dissertations on infantry-scale tactical doctrine had become required reading at the Confederation Military Academy, no matter what branch of the service one was being trained to enter. Nalia blinked. “As in Colonel Keldorn Firecam? The guy from Operation Angel Wire? That Colonel Firecam?”

Imoen: "The one famous for the pink boardshorts and the fancy beanie cap too?"

“If you give orders and explain nothing, you may get obedience, but you will get no creativity. If you tell your soldiers your purpose, then when your original plan is shown to be faulty, they will find another way to achieve your goal. Explaining to your men does not weaken their respect for you, it proves your respect for them.

Bran: "The man has a way with words."

Nalia smiled. “I remember reading that back during my R.O.T.C. classes. Not surprisingly, a lot of the brass weren’t too fond of the Colonel’s attitudes on command.”

Jaheira: "This is because there is a great deal of ass in brass."

Imoen: "You stole my line!"

Jaheira: "Oh dear, I'm thinking like you now."

Imoen: "Hehehehe. Welcome to my world."

Jaheira: "I must now go and seek an airlock to throw myself out of."

Valygar gave a brief nod and motioned her to keep moving as he sent a quick glance down a side corridor. Like all the other corridors they’d been encountering, this one was empty, lit by medium-intensity fluorescent lamps, and was a uniform gray in color with the decking matching the gunmetal gray walls. The environment had a completely sterile atmosphere to it, except in places where the Dominion assault team had clashed with Confederation forces.

Bran: "Good old fashioned government design. No wonder bureacracies move at the pace they do. They're bored to death walking down the hallway."

“There is nothing wrong with explaining your objectives and your intentions to your subordinates, but ultimately, every unit has only one leader.”

Bran: "The buck stops somewhere. Same place the bill is sent to."

“It’s her decision, and it’s her responsibility. Any and all consequences will fall upon her, so while she may choose to listen to everyone’s suggestions, none of us can take that burden off her shoulders.”

Bran: "No, they can't. And any leader worth his salt wouldn't want you to either. Not because you can't do it, but if someone has to go down for a screw up, it should be the person calling the shots."

“I know, I know. It’s not that I was questioning her ability to lead.” Nalia shook her head. “Not at all. I don’t have her training or her experience, and I won’t deny that. You guys are infantry, I’m Fleet; I’m out of my league, and I admit that, too. It’s just… it’s just that I’ve seen lots of commanders who were totally blind to everything but their own opinions on how things should be done, especially when it comes to stuff like… well, like this. But the problem is, it’s one thing to be able to figure out the best way to… I don’t know… capture some hill and hold it against an enemy counterattack, and it’s totally another to be able to figure out whether you should help your own government commit genocide. If she’s wrong, it’ll get lots of people killed.”

“And if you’re wrong, many people will be killed, anyway. I’m not sure I see much of a distinction there, Ensign. Either way, whatever decision she makes will likely result in a large number of deaths. Whatever opinions you may have, however loudly you voice them, and however willing to listen to your arguments the Major may seem to be, the choice is, in the end, not yours to make. I’m sure it’s not something she takes lightly… despite her seeming penchant for taking -everything- lightly.”

The two sides of the coin where a war for survival is involved. One is fight and keep your principles intact and maybe lose everything. The other is fight with everything in your arsenal and deal with the consequences if you survive.

I really don't know which is the right answer. I just know that in those situations, a lot of people lose.

“It looks like it runs in the family,” she responded with a snort. She sobered quickly. “I’m just worried that she might not be qualified to make that kind of decision… and I don’t mean that as an insult,” Nalia said, putting up a hand to forestall any possible protests. “Who’s to say -anyone- is qualified to make that kind of call?”

Bran: "If qualified was an actual requirement for leadership posts, there would be a lot of unemployed Senators, admirals and other such. But in this specific case, nothing in the world qualifies you other than the willingness to to accept the deaths of thousands or even hundreds of thousands. Either those you kill, or those that might die because you hesitated."

Bran: "Could I make the call? I don't know. But I think there are some things worth living for and some things worth dying for. And there are some things you just can't live with."

“Perhaps no one is. Perhaps it is inherently unfair to expect any one individual to make choices that would impact the lives of so many more. The bitter truth, however, is that someone -has- to make that decision, and Major Llyr just happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. We can offer her our counsel, and we can offer her our support, but that is all we can do. Personally, I don’t envy her the responsibility.”

Yes, the V Man makes a great non com. A wise man.

The Ensign gave a brief nod. “I don’t, either.” She let out a ragged sigh of frustration. “I don’t know, I suppose I just took advantage of how ‘democratic’ things seemed around here. Opened my big mouth a bit too much.” She frowned, feeling a bit guilty for her outburst earlier – not that that guilt would change her outlook on things. “Guess that’s what happens when you put rookies in with the veterans… not to mention Navy rookies. You know us Fleet types,” she said, forcing a half-hearted smile. “No respect for anyone or anything.”

Imoen: "No, that's the motto of Intelligence."

Bran: "I thought that was Galactic Wide Stupidity at Bargain Basement Cost."

Imoen: "No, that's the motto of the Alliance Senate."

Bran: "Riiiight."

She cut him off. “Right. To listen to those who’ve seen it all before. I’m trying; trust me.” She turned her head, facing forward again, and watching the rest of the unit proceed in formation several meters ahead of her - just out of earshot. “I plan to be in this for the long haul.”

Bran: "And don't forget: See what is going on around you. Don't just look."

Slicing the security lockouts on a door was always a delicate task, a very subtle blend of precision electrical work and computer programming. It required a steady hand, an agile mind, and despite Imoen’s eccentricities, foibles of personality, and outright silliness, it was a job she could do with an almost frightening degree of competency. The rational part of Falynn’s mind knew that, and had every confidence in her younger sister’s skills. The less-rational parts, however, were inclined to agree with Jaheira’s appraisal.

snh snh snh

Imoen: "Well, I think the less rational have a point." ;)

Bran: "I'll take some of that action."

Valygar: "As will I."

Imoen: "Two hundred says she toasts some digits."

Jan, who had, until just now, been lost in the minutiae of working up a set of mental blueprints for a garden vegetable irrigation system that ran on yucca extract, piped up from behind the two of them. “I’d like to take that bet. Thirty credits on Lieutenant Flambé. As my Uncle Georg always used to say, ‘never bet that somebody isn’t going to kill themselves in the most horrific way possible.’ It’s how he made his fortune, you know. He bet everything he had that he would be killed while working on a wheat thresher, and by Gond, he was right. Uncle Georg was a smart one, but he loved tinkering with that wheat thresher… always with the wheat thresher! Still, the proceeds from that bet proved to be quite the windfall. Of course, he couldn’t spend the money, what with him being gnome jerky, but Aunt Stella inherited all those assets and bought herself a lovely mansion in the Poconos. Very picturesque scenery, though a little cold from what I’ve heard… certainly far too cold and inhospitable for vegetable growth. But then again, Stella was quite the oddity, the veritable black sheep of the Jansen family, as it were. She wasn’t much of a gardener at all, but she did like to ski, and she even bought herself a snowmobile. They say she purchased it from a Yeti who’d retired to the area about a dozen years previous, though I’m not sure I believe that. Everyone knows the Bigfoot and Abominable Snowman businesses never stop booming. Why retire when you’re still making credits hand over fist? Come to think of it, I’m rather surprised no one’s started using Bigfoot profit margins as the major indicators in economic forecasts. No market’s quite as stable, after all, as the monster business… except maybe the mobile vegetable peddling trade… but that’s a different matter entirely-”

*blink* That... that is Jan story alright. *blink*

Hell in a handbasket, here we come. :D

The Sergeant’s comment was followed shortly by a husky, but clearly feminine voice from the general Minsc-vicinity. “Hey, can I get in on this bet?”

Go Boo. :D

Falynn turned her head towards Boo, trying her best (like the others were) to ignore Jan’s anecdote about how his great-great-uncle Getti Jansen had developed a turnip-based fuel additive that he swore would increase the efficiency of your everyday snowmobile. “Boo, you’re a hamster. No, actually, you’re a computer AI that looks like a hamster…”

All the more reason to fear it. :D

“Correction: I’m a computer AI that could hack into all your bank accounts; I’m in, like it or not.”

That is a convincing argument. :D

Buy a whole lotta woodchips. :D

Minsc’s ever-present companion looked as if she were pondering the import of that question, trying to formulate the proper response. Once she had the answer, she proudly proclaimed it. “Why, I’d build a GIANT wheel, of course.”

Bwahahahahahahaha. :D Nice. :D

From up ahead, Imoen jumped back from the console. “Yeouch!” She wrung her hand for a moment, then placed the tip of her index finger in her mouth.

Imoen: "Jackpot!"

Imoen: "Not yet, but we can fix that if you like." :D

Woo!

Good to see the Omegas again Alpha. And lots of good fun. :D

VH

#3 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 24 February 2006 - 11:06 PM

Imoen: "He's like a snuggly grandpa who can kick your ass. Well, not mine, but someone elses."

:wink:

That's... an interesting description... even somewhat appropriate, too.

Bran: "I find it to be a self correcting habit, either you learn or you die."

Jaheira; "Evolution in action."

Bran: "Oooh. Snarky."

Jaheira: "Yes."

All Jaheira-BG2-class Snarkbots are equipped with the latest in snark technology and have been extensively tested by the National Institute for the Advancement of Snark. Each bot is capable of sustained output in excess of 55 giga-snarks, a 15% increase over the BG1 model.

Bran: "The few, the proud, the officers Keldorn Firecam thought were worth something."

Raven: (Frowning) "I just pray I don't ever prove him wrong." :wink:

Bran: "The man has a way with words."

So does Orson Scott Card - the man I stole that line from. :D

Bran: "Good old fashioned government design. No wonder bureacracies move at the pace they do. They're bored to death walking down the hallway."

Asylum Block, indeed. Just like the dorms on my college campus. :D

Bran: "No, they can't. And any leader worth his salt wouldn't want you to either. Not because you can't do it, but if someone has to go down for a screw up, it should be the person calling the shots."

Raven: "Hmph. Well, Ulraunt certainly doesn't have any problems practicing trickle-down blame economics."

Vixen: "I believe you just made Bran's point."

Raven: "Yeah. Guess I did."

I really don't know which is the right answer. I just know that in those situations, a lot of people lose.

That's... pretty much it, unfortunately.

Bran: "If qualified was an actual requirement for leadership posts, there would be a lot of unemployed Senators, admirals and other such. But in this specific case, nothing in the world qualifies you other than the willingness to to accept the deaths of thousands or even hundreds of thousands. Either those you kill, or those that might die because you hesitated."

And if there's anything we know for sure about Falynn, it's that she'll take that responsibility... even if it runs her into the ground to do it. :)

Yes, the V Man makes a great non com. A wise man.

Spectre: "Years of unfortunate, first-hand experience, I'm afraid. That's all it is."

Imoen: "Well, I think the less rational have a point."

Raven: "Well, of course they do. Just because they're irrational doesn't always mean they're wrong." :D

Bran: "I'll take some of that action."

Valygar: "As will I."

Imoen: "Two hundred says she toasts some digits."

Harlequin: "Oh, come on... nobody's betting that I -won't- screw this up?"

Raven: "Of course there are. Plenty."

Harlequin: "Really? Who?"

Raven: "People who are going to lose money very soon." :twisted:

*blink* That... that is Jan story alright. *blink*

I try. :P

That is a convincing argument.

Of course it is. Boo rocks. :wink:

Bwahahahahahahaha. Nice.

:D

Imoen: "Not yet, but we can fix that if you like."

Harlequin: "We'll see how chatty you are after you wake up on the wrong end of a set of hair clippers." :)

#4 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 25 February 2006 - 12:57 PM

4. Boo being cute. Yay! :wink:

5. A Jan story. YAY! :)

Seems you’ve managed to include all the right things that make a good story. :D

Nalia had mostly zoned out. Things were quiet, perhaps a little too much so, and she’d allowed her thoughts to drift elsewhere. It was an easy thing to do – what with the drab, unchanging scenery and the distinct lack in the immediate vicinity of living beings aside from themselves. Daydreaming was a dangerous habit to be indulging in, however, and she knew it; she also hoped she’d live long enough to learn how to fix it. More immediate affairs were vying for her attention, though – among them, the Army Ranger looking at her with mild concern. “Hmmmm? Oh, sorry, Sergeant. I was just thinking.” She shrugged. “The Major’s not an easy person to figure out, y’know? Makes you wonder how us newbies are supposed to manage.”

I always keep forgetting that this is the first time that Valygar works together with the gang, isn’t it?

The ensign snickered mildly. “Sure seems that way. It’s just… one minute she’s yelling at me, as if I were trying to give her orders, and the next she’s asking everyone for opinions on what we should do next. Just seems like a bit of a contradiction, doesn’t it?”

It seems to be Falynn’s style… she’s just making it up as she goes. :D

“The very same,” said Valygar. “This used to be his unit, and Major Llyr was his Executive Officer. He turned command of the squad over to her when he realized he was no longer able to participate in field operations. From what I’ve seen, she often consults with him for strategic and logistical issues before the start of an operation.” He shrugged. “Her style of command is certainly her own, but it’s clearly influenced by his.”

To know this could also be a bit of a confidence booster, an additional reassurance for Nalia. I mean, it further reinforces the point that she hasn’t ended up here with some weird nuts, but actually very competent and highly valued individuals.

Err… on second thought, that… doesn’t preclude them from being weird nuts, as well. :D

It would not work for everyone, it can’t. Keldorn’s method appeals to me, but I can see how some commanders who might not possess charisma equal to his, might need a stronger grip to hold their troops in check. Much depends on what the subordinates are like, as well. In some people, encouraging the creativity is the absolutely worst you could do. :)

Her smile faded slowly. “I think I see where you’re going with this.” She sighed. “You’re right. It’s her call to make, not mine.”

But you’re allowed to think that she’s screwing up and how you would have done it all differently and far better. :D

Part of being in command also means that you have to expect making difficult moral judgments now and then. Of course, those are easy to people who see everything black and white, but Lynn does not seem to be the type. :twisted:

The simple thing is that you – don’t – have the time and luxury to look for someone who might be qualified to make the call – when push comes to shove, if Lynn will find herself in that situation, it will ultimately be her call.

Heh, I didn’t read this as I wrote my comment above. Seems that Val agrees with me. :wink:

In this kind of situation, I’d think it wiser to take it one step at a time instead of making long term plans. :wink:

Wow, she doesn’t have much confidence in her. I wonder why. :P

*cheers* Awesome! :D :D

Boo is CUTE. Nuff said. :D

I wonder how Jaheira would spend her money. It’s hard to think of what her interests outside her work might be. Hmmm.

She’s alright, alright. :D

#5 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 25 February 2006 - 03:54 PM

Notemeal:

MMm. . . Notemeal.

1. Valygar = perceptive. Let's watch. :wink:

*raises brow, intriged*

2. Some insight into Keldorn's reputation amongst the rest of the Confederation military. Also, I go a tiny bit into his backstory with Falynn and why he's just so gosh-darned cool. :wink:

Ah. Cool. :wink:

“What’s the matter, Ensign?”

Nalia had mostly zoned out. Things were quiet, perhaps a little too much so, and she’d allowed her thoughts to drift elsewhere.

Elanna: Not smart, Ensign. Keep focussed, huh?

It was an easy thing to do – what with the drab, unchanging scenery and the distinct lack in the immediate vicinity of living beings aside from themselves.

Sasha: Yeah, but then you don't notice when those aformentioned 'living beings' -do- show up. *smiles*

“Sure seems that way. It’s just… one minute she’s yelling at me, as if I were trying to give her orders, and the next she’s asking everyone for opinions on what we should do next. Just seems like a bit of a contradiction, doesn’t it? Especially since I don’t know that many officers, not to mention those as high up as she is, who… well, you know, actually listen to other people… even if only some of the time.” She smiled, sheepishly. “I think I could get used to it.”

Elanna: *snicker* Yeah, most people never bother to listen to those under them. Cassio: But if your CO is actually asing for your advice, Ensign, give her the best damn advice you can, because she -will- take it seriously.

Ah hah! That explains a few things.

Despite the fact that the venerable Colonel was an officer in the Confederation Space Operations division, and she was a member of ConFleet, his name was well-known even in the circles that she traveled in. That, and several of his dissertations on infantry-scale tactical doctrine had become required reading at the Confederation Military Academy, no matter what branch of the service one was being trained to enter. Nalia blinked. “As in Colonel Keldorn Firecam? The guy from Operation Angel Wire? That Colonel Firecam?”

Bwahahah! Keldorn as required reading. *snicker* It so fits. . .

“The very same,” said Valygar. “This used to be his unit, and Major Llyr was his Executive Officer. He turned command of the squad over to her when he realized he was no longer able to participate in field operations. From what I’ve seen, she often consults with him for strategic and logistical issues before the start of an operation.” He shrugged. “Her style of command is certainly her own, but it’s clearly influenced by his.”

Yeah, that fits too. Nice. :)

He recited a quotation from memory:

Cassio: Something I think a lot of CO's need to learn. Luckly my captain now has no qualms about explaining things and asking her crew for advice. :D

Elanna: *snicker* No, they wouldn't be.

“With good reason. I’ve always found them to be wise words, but there is one important caveat to bear in mind.”

“What’s that?”

Cassio: Indeed.

Cassio: *nod*

Elanna: *sighs* Yeah, the curse of command. . . .

Sasha: *sigh* I hope I'm never there. I don't think I could make that sort of decision.

You know us Fleet types,” she said, forcing a half-hearted smile. “No respect for anyone or anything.”

Sasha: No, that's Intell. *grins*

The only real ‘trick’ to any of this is to stay in one piece long enough to become one of those veterans, and the best way to do that-

She cut him off. “Right. To listen to those who’ve seen it all before. I’m trying; trust me.”

Cassio: *nods* Now just keep that in mind, Ensign, and you just might come out of the war alive.

Sasha: *raises hand* 75!

Elanna: *blink* *blink* Uhmm. . . why is he in your unit?

Bwhahahah!

“Boo, you’re a hamster. No, actually, you’re a computer AI that looks like a hamster…”

*snicker*

Sasha: Hmm . . . she has you all there. :D

:D :twisted: I figured either that, or a really big hamster maze. :D

Sasha: Yes!

Sasha: *snickers* No, but I'm sure we can manage that somehow, if you really want. . . . :)

Nice to see a new chapter up! And yes, the peanut gallery felt like commenting. . . . :P

#6 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:17 PM

Seems you’ve managed to include all the right things that make a good story.

Chock full of goodness, 't'is! :twisted:

I always keep forgetting that this is the first time that Valygar works together with the gang, isn’t it?

Yep. It's supposed to be. Unfortunately, that's the problem with doing tons of one-shots that take place -later- in the timeline than the main plot. Can't help myself, though. Silly plot bunnies just keep popping up.

It seems to be Falynn’s style… she’s just making it up as she goes.

Arguably, one of the most important traits a commander needs is adaptability. :)

Err… on second thought, that… doesn’t preclude them from being weird nuts, as well.

Exactly. Like Garibaldi on Babylon 5. He's nuts. He's the most competent Chief of Security you'll ever find, but he's still nuts... as you would know if you ever BOTHERED TO WATCH THE SHOW!

Keldorn’s method appeals to me, but I can see how some commanders who might not possess charisma equal to his, might need a stronger grip to hold their troops in check. Much depends on what the subordinates are like, as well. In some people, encouraging the creativity is the absolutely worst you could do.

Definitely. But also bear in mind that Keldorn isn't in charge of just a bunch of regular infantrymen. At this point, he's in charge of a bunch of Special Operations teams. Confed SpaceOps teams are a lot different than running a regiment of regular Army riflemen. Their stock in trade is getting the job done through unorthodox means if necessary. Creativity is absolutely necessary for a group like the Omegas, or the Deltas, or the Alphas, or the Sigmas, etc. So this philosophy works perfectly for them. Keldorn gives them orders, tells them what needs to be done and leaves it up to Falynn, Anomen, etc. to figure out just -how- to get things done.

But you’re allowed to think that she’s screwing up and how you would have done it all differently and far better.

True. And she's thinking that... and voicing her sentiments. But Nalia also realizes that she doesn't have as much experience as the rest of the team does, and she knows that while nobody might really be qualified to do the job "right," she knows she's even less qualified than the rest. It's kinda humbling, but while I've always seen Nalia as outspoken, she's not arrogant and knows her limits.

Part of being in command also means that you have to expect making difficult moral judgments now and then. Of course, those are easy to people who see everything black and white, but Lynn does not seem to be the type.

Part of the problem is that things used to be pretty black and white. Dominion troops attack, you shoot them. No ifs, no ands, no buts. Just blast 'em. It's not so black and white when you start thinking your own side is doing stuff that's just as bad. So, yes, she's a little confused, and floundering some. This is pretty new territory for her and the rest of the crew.

Heh, I didn’t read this as I wrote my comment above. Seems that Val agrees with me.

Like I said, Valygar just seems like the perfect choice for an NCO to me... the kind of guy who's steadfastly loyal to people who have earned his trust, and while he'll have his opinions on what's going on, he'll also understand the need to have a unified and unbroken chain of command.

Wow, she doesn’t have much confidence in her. I wonder why.

Vixen: "It likely has something to do with my being woken up on numerous occasions to bandage, mend, or otherwise 'fix' Imoen's injuries."

*cheers* Awesome!

Go, Jan! :wink:

Boo is CUTE. Nuff said.

Better believe it. :D

I wonder how Jaheira would spend her money. It’s hard to think of what her interests outside her work might be. Hmmm.

Well, it's doubtful she feels the need to own much in the way of material possessions... but I could see her maybe wanting to pick up a nice painting or sculpture or something to decorate her quarters with... knowing her, she'd also probably donate a fair sum of her paycheck to charities of some sort. At this point, she's earning money which she doesn't have much use for since the military takes care of her housing and food needs, so she might just be giving a good chunk of it away while letting what she keeps earn interest.

She’s alright, alright.

Perfectly fine. :wink:

#7 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 25 February 2006 - 11:32 PM

MMm. . . Notemeal.

It's nutritious, and doesn't taste quite bad enough to make you vomit. What's not to like?!

:wink:

Elanna: Not smart, Ensign. Keep focussed, huh?

Harlequin: "She's a rookie. She'll learn... or we'll have to grout her insides out of the cracks in the wall with toothbrushes. You know, either / or."

Sasha: Yeah, but then you don't notice when those aformentioned 'living beings' -do- show up. *smiles*

Well, until they start shooting at you... or trying to eat you... or both at the same time.

Elanna: *snicker* Yeah, most people never bother to listen to those under them. Cassio: But if your CO is actually asing for your advice, Ensign, give her the best damn advice you can, because she -will- take it seriously.

Raven: "Or I could just be setting her up for a 'Shhh! Zip it! When a problem comes along, you must zip it! Shhh! Zip it! Zip it good!' " :)

Ah hah! That explains a few things.

I've always liked the idea of Falynn kinda being the Teacher's Pet. Explains (at least to me) why the two of them are so close even though they're technically not family, and there's a difference in rank between the two of them which means they're not quite peers.

Bwahahah! Keldorn as required reading. *snicker* It so fits. . .

:twisted:

He's lived through a whole lot and decided to pass his knowledge along to the younger generations. Can't see anything more appropriate for him. :D

Cassio: Something I think a lot of CO's need to learn. Luckly my captain now has no qualms about explaining things and asking her crew for advice.

Raven: (Shrugs) "I can't say I see why everyone's making such a big deal about all this. I mean, I know I don't know everything. Imoen's got more explosives expertise than I do. Jan's better at fixing things. Jaheira can work miracles with a piece of gauze and a couple of rubber bands, and Nalia's a natural codebreaker. Other people have skills that I don't. Why wouldn't I default to their judgment on stuff like that?"

Elanna: *sighs* Yeah, the curse of command. . . .

Some people do it because they want the power, or they need to feel like they're in control. Others do it hoping for prestige, glory, fame. And others do it simply because nobody else will take on that kind of back-breaking, soul-wrenching responsibility... and someone has to.

Sasha: No, that's Intell. *grins*

Harlequin: "Actually, that's Intel, and Black Ops, and a whole bunch of other people that can't be bothered to waste their time figuring out what's right and what's wrong."

Elanna: *blink* *blink* Uhmm. . . why is he in your unit?

Raven: "Because, give him a wrench, a pile of parts, and a couple of hours, and he can build you a fusion reactor. Even I can't do that... and I've got a physics degree."

Sasha: Hmm . . . she has you all there.

Harlequin: "You gotta wonder just how much fun the people who program constructs like Boo have with their jobs."

Omega Boo: "A lot."

Harlequin: "Well. Yeah."

I figured either that, or a really big hamster maze.

I'm not sure the maze would fit inside Minsc's brain. :D

Sasha: *snickers* No, but I'm sure we can manage that somehow, if you really want. . . .

Harlequin: "Yeah. Varnas already offered. I think I'll take a pass, thank you." :wink: :wink:

#8 Guest_Coutelier_*

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:41 PM

4. Boo being cute. Yay! ;)

Oh, hamsters come across as cute all the time, but really they're evil, anti-social little devils who will try to take your fingers off.

You're supposed to have read the FAQ. If you can't be bothered to do that then you have no right to speak at all.

I like the philosophy, but it wouldn't work across the entire military. In a crisis there would be little time to for soldiers to think about what they're doing. They need to be trained to follow orders without question so that they can act quickly and without hesitation. Essentially, that's what armies in real life do, train people not to think.

Yeah, no military can be run democratically.

I doubt anyone does, but thats the burden of command.

Imoen: Bah... I'd like to see you do better with your sausage fingers.

This is when it would good to zone out.

Of course :)

Good stuff!

#9 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 28 February 2006 - 12:25 AM

Oh, hamsters come across as cute all the time, but really they're evil, anti-social little devils who will try to take your fingers off.

That might be true for real hamsters, but what about computer A.I. constructs that just choose to portray themselves as hamsters using holographic technology? ;)

You're supposed to have read the FAQ. If you can't be bothered to do that then you have no right to speak at all.

Um... she couldn't get through. Server was down. :)

I like the philosophy, but it wouldn't work across the entire military. In a crisis there would be little time to for soldiers to think about what they're doing. They need to be trained to follow orders without question so that they can act quickly and without hesitation. Essentially, that's what armies in real life do, train people not to think.

Of course. But as I said above, the notion really only applies to units that really do require the unit members to have creativity and initiative. It's not the sort of thing you would apply to an infantry regiment of several hundred guys, but it -is- the sort of thing you'd need to do with a Special Ops team consisting of only about a dozen or so individuals, at most.

I doubt anyone does, but thats the burden of command.

It is. But one of the benefits of not being in command is that you can pretty much criticize your commander all you like. You might not be right, you might not even have a leg to stand on, but you technically get to do that.

:)

#10 Laufey

Posted 01 March 2006 - 05:06 PM

Ah, so Keldy is really famous I take it?

Mmm, I like that. :) Of course, you still need them to obey you quickly when the heat is on.

In the end, she can only do her best. At least Lynn knows that it's a serious decision, and doesn't automatically assume that whatever she decides will be the right thing.

Sometimes, as Valy says, we do have to make unpleasant decisions with no clear right or wrong answer. All we can do is think carefully and hope we make the right one.

Uh huh... *blinkss dazedly* :D

Of course! :D
Rogues do it from behind.

#11 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 01 March 2006 - 05:30 PM

Ah, so Keldy is really famous I take it?

Within the military community, yes. He's probably had instructor duty at the Academy a couple of times, and his combat record speaks for itself, so, even though some people (Cough) Ulraunt (Cough) don't much like how he works, he's a pretty popular guy.

Of course, you still need them to obey you quickly when the heat is on.

Sure. But as I've been saying to others, the trick is that when Keldorn says this, he's applying it to the small-scale units that thrive on the members' initiative... units that require the soldiers to be smart and adaptive. Running an Army regiment of guys with rifles is a lot different from running a Special Operations team. Keldorn, sitting up on the Gallante can't anticipate everything that's going to happen in the field, so he -needs- Falynn and company to be able to think for themselves and adapt to changing circumstances... something they can't do if he keeps them in the dark about what the objectives are.

In the end, she can only do her best. At least Lynn knows that it's a serious decision, and doesn't automatically assume that whatever she decides will be the right thing.

Nope. She's self-righteous enough and arrogant enough, I guess, to think that she has to take on this heavy responsibility... but that doesn't mean she's necessarily convinced her decision is going to be the "right" one.

Uh huh... *blinkss dazedly*

Jan stories will do that to you. :lol:

#12 Weyoun

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:29 PM

Say, you been playing Empire at War as well? That's one damn addictive little game, though I prefer the space battles over the landbattles any day of the week. And it gets really fun when you get the Death Star. I ended up blowing up planets left and right. Except that the Emperor didn't let me blow up Coruscant. :evil: Senile old git...

3. Also, why Valygar makes a good non-com, in my opinion.

What the hell's a non-com anyway?

Woo!

So is eating a cactus. ;) Doesn't mean I wanna do it, though.

ROTC? (I suck at abbreviations)

It's the pilot hotshot Tom Cruise thingy, I suppose.

*Hits himself in the head with something heavy to punish himself from mentioning The Annoying Actor Who Should Not Be Named.*

Twenty Quatloos on the newcomer!

Yup! LOL! Lovely story.

Statement : that Hamster is a meatbag. :)

:D Great story
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#13 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 06 March 2006 - 09:51 PM

Say, you been playing Empire at War as well? That's one damn addictive little game, though I prefer the space battles over the landbattles any day of the week.

I've heard it's good, but I haven't had a chance to pick up a copy yet. I've been... er... playing Republic Commando again. :) And also, Psychonauts... and Evil Genius. :)

But yeah, the reviews I've read say much the same. Space battles are awesome, land battles aren't bad, but nothing really special. I'll probably enjoy the hell out of it, but I might wait a while to pick it up.

What the hell's a non-com anyway?

Non-com or NCO is short for "Non-Commissioned Officer." Basically, anyone from around Lieutenant or so (sometimes including Ensigns, Warrant Officers and the like) is considered an "officer." All other crew members are considered "enlisted men." Someone who's technically enlisted but is given duties and responsibilities approaching that of an officer, and a rank commiserate with that, such as Sergeant, etc. is considered a Non-Commissioned Officer. They have officer-type obligations and such, but don't have an actual "commission."

http://en.wikipedia....ssioned_officer

;)

So is eating a cactus.

I've had cactus at Mexican restaurants... it's... not yummy... at least, I don't think so.

ROTC? (I suck at abbreviations)

Reserve Officers Training Corps.

Wikipedia is your friend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROTC

It's the pilot hotshot Tom Cruise thingy, I suppose.

*Hits himself in the head with something heavy to punish himself from mentioning The Annoying Actor Who Should Not Be Named.*

Yeah... I know... (sigh) I'm still holding out hope for his crazy, knocked-up fiance, but that's dwindling fast. No, Katie! Come back to the world of normal people! ;)

Yup! LOL! Lovely story.

What can I say? Your Jan inspires me. :D

Statement : that Hamster is a meatbag.

I don't want to see Omega Boo with assassination protocols. That would be seriously messed up. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com