Monologue-ish things (off)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_moosey_*

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:54 AM

Due to excessive boredom and sleep deprivation I began to ponder on what Jon may have said while torturing the player character; since he seemed pretty chatty at the beginning of the game. And thus these things (I'm not sure if they are actually long enough to be considered monologues) were created.

"Pain is a beautiful thing. It lets you know you’re alive; it lets you know you can die. Pain, it lets you know you can feel. Do you know what it is like to not feel pain, to know you once could? To have once felt pain over knowing you would be unable to ever feel it again? Do you know what it is like to know in the back of your mind you have lost something, to know you have lost someone, and yet be unable to feel it? Feel the pain of the loss, unable to know it is a loss, because you do not feel that pain that comes with loss? I know at this moment I would envy you – were it possible – for the pain you feel, for it lets you know; it lets you know you exist."

“Fear is a comforting feeling. Fear and hope come together, when one is present, so must be the other. When you do not feel fear, you have no hope. Hope exists for fear of some unseemly conclusion. Hope is the mark of humanity. And thus, those who do not fear are nothing. For they hope for nothing; they have no reason to live. They are nothing more than walking voids; deprived of all that makes them worthy of sympathy. I feel no fear.”

“Before my spirit was stolen, I had hoped I would simply become an automaton. If only I had been so fortunate. Instead I became what you see before you now; a wretch. I can almost remember the abject horror I felt upon realizing that I would still be able to think, but would not be able to feel. I was terrified of what I knew I could now do. What things are a person who does not feel capable of? To what depths of depravity will he fall? I found myself dissecting these thoughts, and I realized at that time what I would become. I knew at that moment I would do anything to feel again. I would become a monster.”

“Happiness may very well be my most missed emotion. They say one who can still smile – one who can still see the proverbial bright side – is never beyond redemption. I clung to happiness the longest; clung to the hope that I could feel again. When happiness was lost to me, I lost hope as well. I felt naught but misery. But misery is but the opposite of happiness, and thus my mind clung to this; as it often clings to a slipping dream. Even when miserable I did smile; sarcasm was my savior. But I have not smiled in decades. Does this mean I am beyond redemption?”

“Shame is amazing. There is no better way to describe the feeling. It is never fully appreciated by those that can feel it; but for those who cannot, know that you are most fortunate. Shame is linked with remorse; the two are interchangeable. If you feel shame, then often you are remorseful as well, though not always. Sometimes this is switched, remorse without shame. Thus was my case, and it is why I am standing above you now with knife in hand. Shame shows people you are truly remorseful, without it no apology is sincere, no concession taken seriously. Imagine me now filled with pride for having touched the divine spark professing remorse to my people; surely you can now see the value of shame?”

If you notice anything out of character pointing it out would be grand.

#2 Guest_Kulyok_*

Posted 30 November 2005 - 12:34 PM

I do thank you for publishing it. For some reason, I thought of things Irenicus could be saying to Kizrin, my favourite protagonist of zan's.

I cannot picture Irenicus saying it to PC or whomever else, though - he would be, perhaps, too humiliated by these revelation afterwards. But perhaps, one of his diaries contained these words? It could be, I think.

As for out of character thing, I think you did well. The only thing that distracted me was the actual length of the sentences: unless he is emotional, Irenicus rarely uses so many short ones at once, I think.

#3 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 30 November 2005 - 03:57 PM

For some reason, I always imagined Irenicus conducting his experiments, torture including, in complete and utter silence (broken occasionally by the protagonist's screams), even though he is rather chatty in the opening sequence. He just seems so cold and meticulous in his approach...

But if he was talking, then yes, I could well imagine him saying such things. And I think it's pretty believable too, because of course, he would be so utterly convinced that the protagonist would very soon perish and there would be no afterwards.

Good story. :twisted:

#4 Guest_moosey_*

Posted 03 December 2005 - 03:25 AM

I will post this quick reply so I don't feel like a bastard (I did not respond sooner because I have been in school for fifteen hours everyday this week, and have not had much time to do anything but sleep while at home, I'm sure you were both just staring at the thread in anticipation and as such apologize profusely <- gotta love that ego :wink:).

Kulyok, thank you for the response and information. As to your comment I will attempt to make the sentence longer (by using commas and whatnot), but I will probably be unable to edit this post by the time the quiz ends.

Theodur, thank you for posting as well. I actually agree with you on the silent thing, but its much more interesting to write an opening sequence with talking than just something like "...the silvered blade digs deep into the flesh of the person lying before him, their screams of agony reverberating through the dark tunnels of the Athkatlan sewers..."

Once again, thank you both for responding.

#5 Weyoun

Posted 04 December 2005 - 11:29 PM

I'd say sleep deprivation paid off. Chilling little story you have here. :wink:
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com