Quarantine, Day Two: Entry Two (Off)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 28 November 2005 - 06:37 PM

Hey, kids. Another section done. Colleen's situation goes from bad to worse. Let's watch! :wink:

-----

Quarantine Day Two
November 8, 2005
Silcock Auto Repair
Galbraith Hills
Malton

“Who the hell are you?”

You’d be surprised at just how much of a badass you can feel like when you’re leveling a handgun at someone. Normally, pointing my issue at another human being isn’t a common part of my ordinary workday. Then again, (I don’t think it bears repeating, But I’ll do it anyway) the walking dead also aren’t a common part of my ordinary workday.

I’d started awake (which was a little weird, considering I’m usually a pretty heavy sleeper) at the sound of someone fiddling around with a nearby door. Bearing in mind that the last time this sort of thing happened, there were a whole bunch of dead people on the other side, I was, understandably, more than a little cautious. I caught the little intruder just as he’d managed to slip the end of a bent-wire coat hangar into the lock for the main entrance.

He was an older man, probably around twenty or so years older than me, with hair just starting to go gray. He dropped his improvised tool and raised his hands the instant he saw my weapon.

Well, ok, then. Intact survival instinct. Good sign. Must be a human. I flicked open the lock, and slowly backed away from the door, but I didn’t lower my pistol. I wasn’t actually planning to shoot the guy, (The weapon was still safed) but he didn’t know that. He kept his hands up as he entered the repair shop. Whoever this man was, he wasn’t taking any chances, and neither was I.

“Easy, Officer. My name’s Gibsom,” he said, keeping his movements slow and careful. I’d been a cop for several years, and in that line of work, you learn to read body language pretty well. My gut was telling me this guy was legit, and I’d come to trust those instincts. “I live here in Galbraith Hills,” he continued on. “I and some of the other locals have been canvassing the area, trying to pinpoint any zombies in the immediate vicinity, and locate other survivors. We’re the good guys. Really.”

“I guess the fact that you haven’t tried to eat me yet shoulda been my first clue,” I said, shoving my issue back into its holster.

He smiled, half-heartedly, probably the best he could manage given how grim the situation was out there. “I’m a doctor. If you like, I can take a look at that shoulder of yours.” He motioned towards my left shoulder, which, I had forgotten, had gotten pretty badly mangled. I’d finally managed to get the bleeding stopped just before I’d fallen asleep earlier, and lucky for me, the blood loss had stayed stopped during the night. It still hurt, though. I was willing to put up with a little bit of pain, but it was still probably a good idea to have the wound looked at by a pro.

“We just met, and already you’re asking me to take my shirt off?”

He laughed, lightly. “No offense intended, but it’s nothing I haven’t seen before, Officer.” He had a comprehensive first-aid kit with him, a bunch of supplies packed up into a small bag he carried over his shoulder. I could only recognize a small portion of the gear he’d stashed away – things like gauze, a pressure dressing, and a couple of IV bags full of saline solution. “Well, the bite took a small chunk of meat out of you,” he said, gingerly probing my injured shoulder with a pair of forceps. “But from what I can see, the bite did nothing that should impede function. I’m going to flush out the wound and bandage it up. It’s not much, but it should help some.”

I winced a little as he went to work with the antiseptic. “Nice to know doctors in this day and age still make house calls.”

“Where were you headed, Officer… -”

“Nixon. I was on my way to Kempsterbank, actually. My sister lives down there. She’s a nurse at St. Ferreol’s, and I haven’t heard from her since the Quarantine.”

He wound a long swath of bandage around my upper arm, secured it with some white medical tape, and handed me back my uniform shirt. “So you’ll be moving on, then?”

“Looks like.”

I noticed a slight frown on his face as I carefully slipped my left arm into the inside of my sleeve. ”I’m sorry to hear that,” he said, putting each item of equipment back into place. “We could use a couple more hands up here.”

“No offense, Doc, but I think you could say the same about the rest of the city.”

“Point taken.”

“I appreciate your help. Really. But I need to try and get to my family. You understand.”

He nodded. “Of course. But if you change your mind, we’d love to have you. The rest of us have been trying to gather together all the other survivors we can find up at Kingslake Walk Fire Station. It’s a few blocks southwest of here, and about as safe as we can make it with our current resources. It’s been serving us as a headquarters since the initial Quarantine declaration. You can find us there.”

“I’ll keep it in mind. Thanks.”

“Good luck to you.”

“You, too.”

And with that, he was gone. I was still feeling a little lethargic. I knew I had to get on the move again, but part of me argued that if I wasn’t well-rested enough, I’d be an easy mark out on the streets. Best bet would be to find a safe spot, and only move from it if I absolutely had to, or when I was absolutely ready.

Looking back, that was one really bad call.

-----

Quarantine Day Three
November 9, 2005

They’d broken down the door.

As soon as I’d heard the main gates give, I’d bolted for the side exit. I opened the door, and a gray-skinned arm snaked in and started flailing. I slammed the door shut, whipped it back, and slammed it closed again. Eventually, the zombie on the other side got the hint and pulled its arm back. I managed to get the fire exit properly shut and locked it up, which would keep the zombies off me for a short while, but I still needed a way out.

There was a cart full of auto diagnostic equipment standing near one of the windows. I ran for it, swept all the expensive gear onto the ground, (Thereby adding wanton destruction and property damage to my growing list of offenses) and vaulted on top. The window was frosted glass, and I couldn’t see very well through it, but the coast looked clear. I nudged the frame open. It was one of those that opened out and upwards. Even at full extension, though, there was barely enough room to squeeze through, and no way I could break the hinges holding the glass pane in place. For once, I was glad I’d started skipping all those breakfast donuts.

I poured myself out through the tiny gap, and landed feet-first (thankfully) on top of a closed dumpster just underneath the window. My shoes hit the metal with a bang loud enough to wake everyone on the block (Both the alive and the “not-so-much”). Didn’t have much time. Heads were already turning to track me.

Started running.

Didn’t learn from my previous mistakes, apparently. I got clotheslined. Yes, folks… just like you see on pro wrestling. Someone sticks their arm straight out, and your neck thumps right into it. Not quite as flashy as “The People’s Elbow,” but more than enough to get the job done. The impact knocked the wind out of me, and my feet out from under me. Rest of what happened next got a little blurry.

I remember trying to get back up as a group of about six or seven of the ghoulies formed a ragged circle around where I’d fallen. I remember thinking to myself that I wasn’t going to let myself go out like this.

“Damn it, Coll… don’t let them do this to you… you get your Irish up, and you show those zombie sons of bitches who’s boss!”

… and it was about then that the “Alpha” zombie hit me in the head with a pipe.

And that was that for getting up and getting away. I hit the ground again, face first, instinctively rolling into a fetal position for whatever good it would do me. (Not much.) I couldn’t breathe, couldn’t even think. My head hurt worse than any hangover I’d ever experienced, and I’ve had some pretty bad ones… like that one time I drank half a tub of Purple Jesus.

Oh, fuck me.

I think my last coherent thought before slipping into unconsciousness was, “Um… I really hope he doesn’t actually do that…”

#2 Weyoun

Posted 28 November 2005 - 11:14 PM

“Easy, Officer. My name’s Gibsom,” he said, keeping his movements slow and careful. I’d been a cop for several years, and in that line of work, you learn to read body language pretty well. My gut was telling me this guy was legit, and I’d come to trust those instincts. “I live here in Galbraith Hills,” he continued on. “I and some of the other locals have been canvassing the area, trying to pinpoint any zombies in the immediate vicinity, and locate other survivors. We’re the good guys. Really.”

Did I mention how much I love Dawn of the Dead? The original version, obviously.

He laughed, lightly. “No offense intended, but it’s nothing I haven’t seen before, Officer.” He had a comprehensive first-aid kit with him, a bunch of supplies packed up into a small bag he carried over his shoulder. I could only recognize a small portion of the gear he’d stashed away – things like gauze, a pressure dressing, and a couple of IV bags full of saline solution. “Well, the bite took a small chunk of meat out of you,” he said, gingerly probing my injured shoulder with a pair of forceps. “But from what I can see, the bite did nothing that should impede function. I’m going to flush out the wound and bandage it up. It’s not much, but it should help some.”

She's been bitten. Every zombie-movie fan knows what that means. ;)

He nodded. “Of course. But if you change your mind, we’d love to have you. The rest of us have been trying to gather together all the other survivors we can find up at Kingslake Walk Fire Station. It’s a few blocks southwest of here, and about as safe as we can make it with our current resources. It’s been serving us as a headquarters since the initial Quarantine declaration. You can find us there.”

Hmm, bocked in space, zombies increasing in numbers. Potential drama. :)

Didn’t learn from my previous mistakes, apparently. I got clotheslined. Yes, folks… just like you see on pro wrestling. Someone sticks their arm straight out, and your neck thumps right into it. Not quite as flashy as “The People’s Elbow,” but more than enough to get the job done. The impact knocked the wind out of me, and my feet out from under me. Rest of what happened next got a little blurry.

Still, it's an impressive move.

Did he used to be a gas-station attendant? ;)

And that was that for getting up and getting away. I hit the ground again, face first, instinctively rolling into a fetal position for whatever good it would do me. (Not much.) I couldn’t breathe, couldn’t even think. My head hurt worse than any hangover I’d ever experienced, and I’ve had some pretty bad ones… like that one time I drank half a tub of Purple Jesus.

Oh, fuck me.

I think my last coherent thought before slipping into unconsciousness was, “Um… I really hope he doesn’t actually do that…”

I don't think you'll wake up ever again... ;)
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#3 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 29 November 2005 - 04:49 AM

Did I mention how much I love Dawn of the Dead? The original version, obviously.

Never seen it. (Gasp!) Horror!

She's been bitten. Every zombie-movie fan knows what that means.

Well, sure. Even non-fans, and people who've only seen bits and pieces of a zombie movie know what that means. Thankfully, though, in this one, you don't become a zombie until you "die." :)

Potential drama.

There was a comment on one of the previous sections - something along the lines of "C'mon! Everyone knows that whenever the people hole up somewhere, they get attacked! You gotta keep moving!" ;)

Still, it's an impressive move.

I guess. But "The People's Elbow"? That's just got major style. Way stylish. ;)

Did he used to be a gas-station attendant?

Er... beats me. That's important because? ;)

#4 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:51 AM

Hey, kids. Another section done. Colleen's situation goes from bad to worse. Let's watch! :D

Well, that’s a bit of an evil, morbid curiosity, watching the poor girl run for her life and cheering on. :D

Well, ok, then. Intact survival instinct. Good sign. Must be a human. I flicked open the lock, and slowly backed away from the door, but I didn’t lower my pistol. I wasn’t actually planning to shoot the guy, (The weapon was still safed) but he didn’t know that. He kept his hands up as he entered the repair shop. Whoever this man was, he wasn’t taking any chances, and neither was I.

I don’t think he could pass for a zombie (yet!), but he could be a marauding shoplifter, and that kind can get very dangerous.

He smiled, half-heartedly, probably the best he could manage given how grim the situation was out there. “I’m a doctor. If you like, I can take a look at that shoulder of yours.” He motioned towards my left shoulder, which, I had forgotten, had gotten pretty badly mangled. I’d finally managed to get the bleeding stopped just before I’d fallen asleep earlier, and lucky for me, the blood loss had stayed stopped during the night. It still hurt, though. I was willing to put up with a little bit of pain, but it was still probably a good idea to have the wound looked at by a pro.

Well, that’s a bit of a lucky break to run into a wandering doctor. :)

:D Is she trying to hide how desperate she is for a bit of a shag? :D

“Nixon. I was on my way to Kempsterbank, actually. My sister lives down there. She’s a nurse at St. Ferreol’s, and I haven’t heard from her since the Quarantine.”

Oh, you’ll meet her soon enough, I think… yes, I am quite assured. She might be missing a few vital bodyparts, but you’ll recognize her, alright…

And with that, he was gone. I was still feeling a little lethargic. I knew I had to get on the move again, but part of me argued that if I wasn’t well-rested enough, I’d be an easy mark out on the streets. Best bet would be to find a safe spot, and only move from it if I absolutely had to, or when I was absolutely ready.

Hmmm. Guess the zombies were more discreet in approaching her than the doctor was. :D

There was a cart full of auto diagnostic equipment standing near one of the windows. I ran for it, swept all the expensive gear onto the ground, (Thereby adding wanton destruction and property damage to my growing list of offenses) and vaulted on top. The window was frosted glass, and I couldn’t see very well through it, but the coast looked clear. I nudged the frame open. It was one of those that opened out and upwards. Even at full extension, though, there was barely enough room to squeeze through, and no way I could break the hinges holding the glass pane in place. For once, I was glad I’d started skipping all those breakfast donuts.

Donuts… *drool* Can you believe we don’t have donuts here in Latvia? I’ve only had them once in my life! :D

Whoa… zombification coming right up, I’m afraid… :D

Oh, fuck me.

I don’t think that’s what the zombies are after… and honestly, they shouldn’t be able to anyway. Can’t get their gear in the condition to do so, you know. :D

#5 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 29 November 2005 - 05:15 PM

Well, that’s a bit of an evil, morbid curiosity, watching the poor girl run for her life and cheering on.

I know, she's been getting nothing but abuse since Day One, and I'm getting some really sadistic kicks out of it. Poor kid... I'm freakin' mean to her. :D

I don’t think he could pass for a zombie (yet!), but he could be a marauding shoplifter, and that kind can get very dangerous.

Yeah. Looting is bad. But then again, everyone's doing it, seeing as how it's the only way to get supplies needed to survive... oh, well...

Well, that’s a bit of a lucky break to run into a wandering doctor.

Happens a lot, actually. Since the medic/doctor types don't start with combat skills, their only way of earning experience points is through healing folks. So, of course, they're going to scrounge up as many first aid kits as they can at a local hospital, then run out and try to find people to heal. :D

Is she trying to hide how desperate she is for a bit of a shag?

She could go for a good tussle, but it'd have to be with the right girl.

This guy is not a girl. :D

Oh, you’ll meet her soon enough, I think… yes, I am quite assured. She might be missing a few vital bodyparts, but you’ll recognize her, alright…

You really think I'm that much of a bastard, huh? :D

Donuts… *drool* Can you believe we don’t have donuts here in Latvia? I’ve only had them once in my life!

UCK!

Well, other countries have them! And you travel a lot... (Shrug)

I don’t think that’s what the zombies are after… and honestly, they shouldn’t be able to anyway. Can’t get their gear in the condition to do so, you know.

You're probably right. And even if you weren't, I really wouldn't want to think about that sort of thing any further. :D

#6 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:01 PM

Hey, kids. Another section done. Colleen's situation goes from bad to worse. Let's watch! :D

Ruh ro

“Who the hell are you?”

You’d be surprised at just how much of a badass you can feel like when you’re leveling a handgun at someone. Normally, pointing my issue at another human being isn’t a common part of my ordinary workday. Then again, (I don’t think it bears repeating, But I’ll do it anyway) the walking dead also aren’t a common part of my ordinary workday.

Honestly, it's amazing how powerful just holding a firearm feels. Terry Prachett had a definite point when describing it. It's... seductive, powerful. Plus, target shooting is fun!

I’d started awake (which was a little weird, considering I’m usually a pretty heavy sleeper) at the sound of someone fiddling around with a nearby door. Bearing in mind that the last time this sort of thing happened, there were a whole bunch of dead people on the other side, I was, understandably, more than a little cautious. I caught the little intruder just as he’d managed to slip the end of a bent-wire coat hangar into the lock for the main entrance.

Guy's got some skills. :twisted:

He was an older man, probably around twenty or so years older than me, with hair just starting to go gray. He dropped his improvised tool and raised his hands the instant he saw my weapon.

Definitely a human.

Smart man.

The cavalry!

“I guess the fact that you haven’t tried to eat me yet shoulda been my first clue,” I said, shoving my issue back into its holster.

Smart girl. :roll:

Before the infection and other fun stuff things settle in. ;)

Good on ya doc. Gotta keep Colleen in fighting trim. ;)

“Where were you headed, Officer… -”

Good place to hang out. Kempsterbank is a pretty safe place.

He wound a long swath of bandage around my upper arm, secured it with some white medical tape, and handed me back my uniform shirt. “So you’ll be moving on, then?”

“Looks like.”

I noticed a slight frown on his face as I carefully slipped my left arm into the inside of my sleeve. ”I’m sorry to hear that,” he said, putting each item of equipment back into place. “We could use a couple more hands up here.”

“No offense, Doc, but I think you could say the same about the rest of the city.”

“Point taken.”

Things are definitely heading south, no?

“I appreciate your help. Really. But I need to try and get to my family. You understand.”

Might not be a bad idea to at least wander over there. Have someone watch your back while you recouperate.

Definitely.

They’d broken down the door.

Damn zombies.

As soon as I’d heard the main gates give, I’d bolted for the side exit. I opened the door, and a gray-skinned arm snaked in and started flailing. I slammed the door shut, whipped it back, and slammed it closed again. Eventually, the zombie on the other side got the hint and pulled its arm back. I managed to get the fire exit properly shut and locked it up, which would keep the zombies off me for a short while, but I still needed a way out.

Thanasis: "Surprised you didn't just take it off Colleen. Had that happen once. I couldn't decide if I was horrified or amused."

Thanasis: "A cop who skipped on donuts? Wow."

I poured myself out through the tiny gap, and landed feet-first (thankfully) on top of a closed dumpster just underneath the window. My shoes hit the metal with a bang loud enough to wake everyone on the block (Both the alive and the “not-so-much”). Didn’t have much time. Heads were already turning to track me.

Started running.

Ouch.... Colleen goes down.

I remember trying to get back up as a group of about six or seven of the ghoulies formed a ragged circle around where I’d fallen. I remember thinking to myself that I wasn’t going to let myself go out like this.

“Damn it, Coll… don’t let them do this to you… you get your Irish up, and you show those zombie sons of bitches who’s boss!”

See they got you two, boyo. ;)

Oh, fuck me.

And that's when someone rescues her! In the next episode!

Good stuff Alpha. Keeping up the tension nice and tight. ;)

VH

#7 Weyoun

Posted 29 November 2005 - 10:15 PM

Never seen it. (Gasp!) Horror!

:D For shame!!! :twisted:

Er... beats me. That's important because? :roll:

In Land of the Dead, the zombies are spurred on to head towards Fiddler's Green by a zombie that has developed a certain amount of smarts. He was a black gasstation-attendant that brought the others into Fiddler's Green and taught the others to use club weapons.
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#8 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 29 November 2005 - 11:43 PM

Honestly, it's amazing how powerful just holding a firearm feels. Terry Prachett had a definite point when describing it. It's... seductive, powerful. Plus, target shooting is fun!

I can believe it. I mean, it's not like holding any other weapon... you can take someone out and you don't need lots of training or whatever. It's almost too easy to kill someone, and that power can be kinda seductive, as you put it. Which is why even though I like guns from a technological standpoint, I will probably never own one.

Guy's got some skills.

Not really... I assume people in Liberty City do this kinda thing all the time. ;)

Smart girl.

Coll does come from a relatively intelligent family... an intelligent family of which she is probably the dumbest member, but hey, when your family is a bunch of super-geniuses, if you're only just a regular genius, you might be a little jealous and such, but you're still a genius. ;)

Good place to hang out. Kempsterbank is a pretty safe place.

Almost too safe. Last couple of times I made a strafing run, I had to head all the way north to the edge of Stanbury Village just to find a target.

Might not be a bad idea to at least wander over there. Have someone watch your back while you recouperate.

Well, she's thinking time is a factor, so she wants to keep moving as much as she can. She'll be forced to rethink that strategy a little later. :D

Thanasis: "A cop who skipped on donuts? Wow."

Colleen: :roll: "Right, so this is the part where we gesticulate helplessly at each other, all because there's this unwritten rule that says cops and firefighters aren't allowed to get along. Yeah, I'm gonna skip that part, if'n you don't mind."

And that's when someone rescues her! In the next episode!

You think? Huh... okay... I'm not gonna disabuse you of any erroneous notions you may have. :twisted:

#9 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 29 November 2005 - 11:45 PM

For shame!!!

(Chuckle) Yeah... well, there are plenty of movies people have told me I need to see that I've never managed to see... ditto for books, and, well, just about anything. Never enough time for it all.

In Land of the Dead, the zombies are spurred on to head towards Fiddler's Green by a zombie that has developed a certain amount of smarts. He was a black gasstation-attendant that brought the others into Fiddler's Green and taught the others to use club weapons.

Ah. Gotcha.

Maybe that was part of the inspiration for why the game designer allowed zombies to use blunt weapons in their attacks instead of just hands and teeth. I mean, out of the melee weapons in the game, zombies can use things like pipes and bats, but can't swing an axe or a knife. (Shrug) Makes me wonder what a board with a nail in it would count as. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com