Women seem wicked when you're unwanted
Streets are uneven when you're down
When you're strange
Faces come out of the rain
When you're strange
No one remembers your name
When you're strange

“People Are Strange” The Doors

Fery played with her ball happily as her mother swept the porch of their small home. The little girl paid no mind to the constant stream of people flowing in and out of the Athkatlan city gates. When her ball spun out of her grasp, she dashed after it.

The child froze as she realized that she was before the very hooves of a mounted group. Fery looked up fearfully at the horses that loomed over her.

“Whoa, horsies! Boo says there is a little one ahead!”

Fery trembled as the large animals stopped mere inches from her. The two horses pulling a small wagon looked down at her, eying this unexpected obstacle in their path.

The danger past, the little girl goggled at the sight before her. The wagon was driven by a massive bald man, a slender elven woman at his side. Behind them, a halfling woman with a bundle held tightly to her chest peered over the side of the wagon.

To either side of the vehicle, mounted riders moved up to see what the delay was. Fery saw another large man, his armor glittering in the winter sun, riding the most enormous horse she had ever seen. He scowled at her in irritation. She blinked fearfully at the faces. A frowning woman in white leathers, a bearded man in green and gold colored armor, a dark-skinned man looking around the bearded one’s shoulder, and a woman in bright mage robes were all staring at her.

Fery anxiously took a step back. The robed woman smiled at her and said, “Heya! Is that your ball?” Fery nodded nervously. The woman nudged the ball with her staff, sending the toy rolling over to the child’s feet. “There you are. Be careful, now. The streets are dangerous.”

At that moment Fery felt arms snatch her up. Her mother shrieked, “Fery! Get back on the porch!”

She squirmed, trying to make her mother release her. “My ball!”

Her mother ignored her. Pale and stammering, the woman said, “Please, forgive… she’s just a little girl.”

Fery saw the bearded man give her mother a puzzled frown. “There is nothing to forgive. We are just glad that your daughter is unharmed.”

“I… I’m sorry she blocked your path, my… my lord. It won’t happen again, I swear.”

The man blinked hard, then shrugged. Fery protested loudly as her mother dragged her into the house. “My ball!”

Outside, the party looked at each other uncomfortably. Imoen mumbled a few words, and the ball floated up, drifted across the street, then came to a rest on the porch of the small house. “Gee, Jar. She acted as though we were going to eat her little girl.”

Jarran sighed. “We haven’t been in Athkatla for a long time, Im. The gods only know what sorts of tales have been told about us.”

“But how do they know it’s us?”

Sarevok snorted in amusement. “I am sure there are dozens of groups that fit our description, little sister. Particularly ones equipped with gear that would never stand out in a crowd.”

“Well, okay, nobody is going to mistake us for the city guard. But still…”

Jarran winced. “My fellow bards have probably wasted no time in spreading the news of our battles. I just hope the truth about Saradush has been told.”

As they made their way through the streets, the companions could not miss the effect they had on the townspeople. People leapt out of their way, women pulled their children close, young men gawked.

Jaheira said in a low voice, “Was this the greeting you received when you came here?”

“No,” Jarran said quietly. “But I was going out of my way not to draw attention to who I was. Traveling in a group… well, we aren’t exactly hard to spot.”

They finally reached the Corthala home. Sarevok looked at the dirty windows and cracked walls and said, “Little sister, I think you have made a bad bargain. Burn this hovel to the ground and find a new home.”

Imoen grinned. “Oh, I think you’ll change your mind when you see the inside.”

They led their horses and the wagon around the side of the house into the stable area. Valygar looked around. “Hmm. The regular stable is too small.” He crossed the grass to a spot on the wall and knocked on it. “Lord Corthala has guests.”

A large doorway appeared, revealing a large, roomy stable. The party took care of their horses as the troughs and feed bins magically filled themselves. After their mounts had been seen to, Valygar led them to the garden door leading into the sitting room.

The companions filed through the door. Hervo entered the room and said, “Valygar! It is good to see you after so long!” The two men embraced, then Hervo stepped back to say cheerfully, “So you finally decided to take my advice and get married. About time, I say.”

Tinira joined them. “Oh, Lady Imoen, it will be wonderful to have a mistress of the house.” She beamed at the mage. Imoen blushed and grinned.

Sarevok raised an eyebrow. “Do you always allow such familiarity from your servants, Valygar?”

“Hervo and Tinira are not just servants, they are family.”

Jarran asked, “How are Cira and Ethem?”

Hervo rolled his eyes. “The lass is doing quite well. Tinira discovered that both the children can barely read, so she has been teaching them. Cira is a quick study. The boy… is a bit more difficult.”

“Oh? What is the problem?”

“He found the cells, sir, the ones in the back of the cellar. He is convinced that at any moment we will reveal our true plans for him. He has been… uncooperative.”

Valygar frowned. “I must have forgotten to lock that passage when I showed the cells to Imoen.”

“It was my fault, Val. I was upset, and you were concerned about me,” Imoen said.

Minsc looked confused. “Minsc does not understand. Why would his fellow ranger have a prison in his home?”

“Some Corthalas were… less than honorable, Minsc. The cells have not been used in several generations, thankfully. Ah, I have been thoughtless. Hervo, Tinira, this is Minsc, and Sarevok. They will be staying with us for a time.”

Tinira nodded. “There are several empty bedchambers, m’lord.”

Valygar turned to Imoen and gave her a slow smile. “Imoen, we have a small matter to attend to. I, er, have to introduce you to the house.”

She giggled. “To… the house?”

“So that it will recognize your authority as a Corthala.” He raised his voice and said, “Lord Corthala has wed. Lady Corthala has entered her home.”

The lanterns on the walls glowed brightly, and music rang through the house. A breeze moved through the room, leaving the air fresh and fragrant. Valygar said, “I would say the manor approves.”

Mazzy said tiredly, “It has been a long day’s travel. Could we perhaps rest a bit?”

Jarran said, “I think that sounds like a wonderful idea. Let’s relax for a while before dinner.”

With aerial servants carrying their bags, the group climbed the stairs. Imoen grinned and said, “I guess I should get my things out of this room, since I’ll be downstairs in the master bedroom now. Sarevok, would you like it? It has windows.”

The warrior shrugged apathetically. “It does not matter.”

Mazzy returned to the room she had used previously. A few moments later, aerial servants arrived bearing a cradle from the nursery. Jarran and Jaheira ducked into their room. Aerie led Minsc to the bedchamber she had slept in during her brief stay in the house.

Sarevok stood in the hallway alone. He looked into the room Imoen had just vacated and frowned, then began to wander through the corridors restlessly. The warrior reached a dead end and, as he turned back, he was surprised to see Mazzy approaching. “What are you doing here?” he said with a growl. “I thought you were resting.”

“The baby is asleep,” she said quietly. “I thought you might wish to see this room.” She entered one of the bedchambers.

Sarevok followed her into a neatly kept room. “Why? What is so special about it?”

Softly Mazzy said, “This was Anomen’s room.”

Sarevok sank down into a chair. “He… stayed here?” He was silent for a long moment. “So you wish to remind me of my grief? How considerate,” he said sarcastically.

The halfling gave him a cool look as she sat in the chair opposite. “That is why you were roaming the halls, was it not? Wondering which room had been his?”

“That is none of your business.”

Mazzy scowled at him. “What have I done to earn your scorn? You have not said a civil word to me. Perhaps Anomen was wrong when he wrote that you had changed.”

He glared in return. “I thought the idea of settling down and raising another man’s child was ridiculous, but I tolerated it for his sake. Do not expect any such charity from me.”

Mazzy stiffened. “It was not charity. Anomen and I… we had a bond.”

“Yes, so I have noticed. So great a bond that you did not even realize that the Anomen at your bedside was a ghost!”

“I was giving birth. You will forgive me for being a bit distracted, I am sure,” she said dryly. “And Valygar thought he had returned from the dead. He was just as surprised as I.”

Sarevok scowled. “He was still… there. You did not deserve it.”

Mazzy calmly regarded him for several long minutes. “That is the problem. I see.”

“Why? Why should he come to you and not me? Why were you worthy of a… a goodbye, and I was not? Did he not…” Sarevok turned his face away from her.

Very softly, she said, “Anomen and I grew very close. There were deep feelings between us, but I was always aware of a barrier, an emotional wall that Anomen hid behind. I will be honest, I simply assumed that either he was holding himself back out of respect for my loss, or… that he could not bring himself to care for a halfling. Finally, he revealed his true feelings, that he desired men.”

Mazzy reached over and placed her hand on Sarevok’s arm. “There is a part of me that will always wonder if things had been different… if there could have been more between us. But no matter what feelings we shared, it does not change the fact that you were the one who he truly loved.”

Sarevok frowned at her hand and said gruffly, “How can you be sure of that?”

“After my son was born, I went back and reread the letter Anomen sent to me. I cannot understand how I could have missed the emotion in the way that he described you.”

Sarevok kept his eyes down. “Just… just go, please.”

“Very well. I will see you at dinner.”

After the halfling left the room, Sarevok poked through the drawers, looking for any sign of Anomen’s existence. Most were empty, but in one he found a number of items. Most were simple objects, such as prayer books, that Anomen had not required on the road.

One caught his eye, a small gold box. Sarevok opened it to discover a locket containing the portrait of a woman. A small bit of folded parchment was under the necklace. He smoothed it out and read the note.

Jarran,

The life of a knight is one of danger, and I must recognize that I might not return from your quest. Of all my possessions, this is the only one that I must preserve. The portrait is that of my mother, so if I fall, see that it is returned to the Costmar family. I know that I can trust you.

Your friend and companion, Anomen

Sarevok felt a flash of anger. Could Anomen not have trusted him? Then he remembered that the note had been written long before they had even met, much less fallen in love.

He continued his search, and to his surprise found a shirt that had been carelessly crammed into a drawer. Why Anomen had not placed it in the laundry bin, Sarevok had no idea.

The warrior raised the fabric to his face, cradling it. He froze, then inhaled deeply. The bureau, probably through some magical quality, had preserved Anomen’s scent.

“Ano,” Sarevok whispered. He curled up on the bed, holding the shirt in his arms. Sarevok was asleep in seconds.

#2 Guest_Ursula_*

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:18 AM

I've enjoyed this story. Thank you for continuing it. I wonder whether Sarevok will find piece...and if he does, whether it ties into the tiny, undestinguishable religious symbol Jarran saw in Sarevok within the Cyric chamber.

Btw, belated "good job" w/ how you handled the Ano story arc...and Keldorn's revelation.

Will be sad to see the story end.

Take care.

#3 Guest_Kulyok_*

Posted 06 July 2005 - 08:24 AM

Fery played with her ball happily as her mother swept the porch of their small home. The little girl paid no mind to the constant stream of people flowing in and out of the Athkatlan city gates. When her ball spun out of her grasp, she dashed after it.

Ah, happy days preceding the invention, of cars and traffic lights.

To either side of the vehicle, mounted riders moved up to see what the delay was. Fery saw another large man, his armor glittering in the winter sun, riding the most enormous horse she had ever seen. He scowled at her in irritation. She blinked fearfully at the faces. A frowning woman in white leathers, a bearded man in green and gold colored armor, a dark-skinned man looking around the bearded one’s shoulder, and a woman in bright mage robes were all staring at her.

Poor girl. I'd be scared witless after such an encounter in the age of six or so. Fortunately, they are harmless... sort of. :twisted:

“I… I’m sorry she blocked your path, my… my lord. It won’t happen again, I swear.”

Yes, I imagine that would have happened even if, say, Isaea was in Jarran's place.

Jarran winced. “My fellow bards have probably wasted no time in spreading the news of our battles. I just hope the truth about Saradush has been told.”

Bards, telling the truth? Um, Jarran, probably bad luck here - you might be a rare exception.

They finally reached the Corthala home. Sarevok looked at the dirty windows and cracked walls and said, “Little sister, I think you have made a bad bargain. Burn this hovel to the ground and find a new home.”

By the way, how much money do they have?

The companions filed through the door. Hervo entered the room and said, “Valygar! It is good to see you after so long!” The two men embraced, then Hervo stepped back to say cheerfully, “So you finally decided to take my advice and get married. About time, I say.”

In the game, Hervo was quite reverent with Valygar. Did you decide to change it on purpose? :wink:

Sarevok raised an eyebrow. “Do you always allow such familiarity from your servants, Valygar?”

Precisely what I was going to ask. :roll: I wonder, why: it is Faerun, Amn, and 14th century, at that - lord-serf relationship lacked familiarity, in my opinion.

Valygar turned to Imoen and gave her a slow smile. “Imoen, we have a small matter to attend to. I, er, have to introduce you to the house.”

“So that it will recognize your authority as a Corthala.” He raised his voice and said, “Lord Corthala has wed. Lady Corthala has entered her home.”

*giggles*

Sarevok sank down into a chair. “He… stayed here?” He was silent for a long moment. “So you wish to remind me of my grief? How considerate,” he said sarcastically.

The halfling gave him a cool look as she sat in the chair opposite. “That is why you were roaming the halls, was it not? Wondering which room had been his?”

She's being harsh, but not cruel. I like it. ;)

Mazzy calmly regarded him for several long minutes. “That is the problem. I see.”

“Why? Why should he come to you and not me? Why were you worthy of a… a goodbye, and I was not? Did he not…” Sarevok turned his face away from her.

;) *sighs*

Oh. So, he wasn't even sure that Ano loved him?

Jarran,

The life of a knight is one of danger, and I must recognize that I might not return from your quest. Of all my possessions, this is the only one that I must preserve. The portrait is that of my mother, so if I fall, see that it is returned to the Costmar family. I know that I can trust you.

For some odd reason (I know these two are entirely different things), it reminded me of that letter Yoshi left for Anomen in the chapter 28 of the City of Sorrows". *sigh* Both invoke strong emotions. :)

He continued his search, and to his surprise found a shirt that had been carelessly crammed into a drawer. Why Anomen had not placed it in the laundry bin, Sarevok had no idea.

The warrior raised the fabric to his face, cradling it. He froze, then inhaled deeply. The bureau, probably through some magical quality, had preserved Anomen’s scent.

“Ano,” Sarevok whispered. He curled up on the bed, holding the shirt in his arms. Sarevok was asleep in seconds.

Oh. :twisted: But it is, erm, sort of very sweet. :twisted:

#4 Guest_glAssbOy_*

Posted 06 July 2005 - 09:46 AM

Awww...

Well, people are still gawking at them, I wonder how it would turn out on Anomen's funeral...

Sarevok, still has his fits of jealousy ar whatever he might be feeling. But he seems to be quite mellowing for me, hehe.

#5 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:26 PM

I've enjoyed this story. Thank you for continuing it. I wonder whether Sarevok will find piece...and if he does, whether it ties into the tiny, undestinguishable religious symbol Jarran saw in Sarevok within the Cyric chamber.

Oh, there are still a number of chapters to come. I think the hardest part will be stopping! As for Sarevok... I have an interesting future planned for him.

Btw, belated "good job" w/ how you handled the Ano story arc...and Keldorn's revelation.

Thankee.

Will be sad to see the story end.

Take care.

Thank you. And thanks for commenting.

#6 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:41 PM

Ah, happy days preceding the invention, of cars and traffic lights.

Not too happy. People could still get run down and killed.

Poor girl. I'd be scared witless after such an encounter in the age of six or so. Fortunately, they are harmless... sort of. :shock:

I would be, too.

Yes, I imagine that would have happened even if, say, Isaea was in Jarran's place.

Possibly, but Jarran wouldn't think of that.

Bards, telling the truth? Um, Jarran, probably bad luck here - you might be a rare exception.

;)

By the way, how much money do they have?

Quite a lot. But the outside of Corthala Manor is an illusion. It is a mansion inside.

In the game, Hervo was quite reverent with Valygar. Did you decide to change it on purpose? :roll:

They have a long history. In AC, Hervo acted formally in front of others, until they got to know him well enough to know it was all an act.

Precisely what I was going to ask. :lol: I wonder, why: it is Faerun, Amn, and 14th century, at that - lord-serf relationship lacked familiarity, in my opinion.

To sum up, Hervo and Valygar grew up together. Hervo was the previous butler's son, and would hide Valygar in the servant's quarters when his mother would go on one of her "I'll turn him into a wizard whether he likes it or not" rampages. He was also the one who tracked Val down when his mother went insane. As he says in the story, Valygar considers Hervo to be family.

*giggles*

One of the side-effects of living in a magical house.

She's being harsh, but not cruel. I like it. :lol:

I don't know about harsh, but definitely blunt.

;) *sighs*

It's going to take time for him to sort everything out.

Oh. So, he wasn't even sure that Ano loved him?

Deep down he knows, but he's had his surety shaken, and not just by Anomen's visit to Mazzy.

Jarran,

For some odd reason (I know these two are entirely different things), it reminded me of that letter Yoshi left for Anomen in the chapter 28 of the City of Sorrows". *sigh* Both invoke strong emotions. ;)

That's a heck of a compliment, because the one in City choked me up. (Are you reading this OGirl, poke, poke.)

Oh. :twisted: But it is, erm, sort of very sweet. :twisted:

Sarevok can be sweet... when no one is looking. :shock:

#7 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:45 PM

Awww...

:twisted:

Well, people are still gawking at them, I wonder how it would turn out on Anomen's funeral...

They already know it will be a very crowded funeral.

Sarevok, still has his fits of jealousy ar whatever he might be feeling. But he seems to be quite mellowing for me, hehe.

I think he's too emotionally drained and stressed to be too snarky, but it pops up now and then.

#8 Weyoun

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:49 PM

AC293-Strange

Strange is good. :lol:

Fery trembled as the large animals stopped mere inches from her. The two horses pulling a small wagon looked down at her, eying this unexpected obstacle in their path.

The danger past, the little girl goggled at the sight before her. The wagon was driven by a massive bald man, a slender elven woman at his side. Behind them, a halfling woman with a bundle held tightly to her chest peered over the side of the wagon.

In a world like the realms, I'm sure there are strange sights. :shock: You'd need at least three gangsta-rapping dragons dancing the polka to surprise a realmsian kid, I wonder. :D

Fery saw the bearded man give her mother a puzzled frown. “There is nothing to forgive. We are just glad that your daughter is unharmed.”

The man blinked hard, then shrugged. Fery protested loudly as her mother dragged her into the house. “My ball!”

Hell, I'd be pissed off. :P

Tinira joined them. “Oh, Lady Imoen, it will be wonderful to have a mistress of the house.” She beamed at the mage. Imoen blushed and grinned.

Imoen as a lady of the house...

I give the house three days left to live. ;)

The lanterns on the walls glowed brightly, and music rang through the house. A breeze moved through the room, leaving the air fresh and fragrant. Valygar said, “I would say the manor approves.”

What, no retinal scan? :wink:

Oh, dear. :)

“Yes, so I have noticed. So great a bond that you did not even realize that the Anomen at your bedside was a ghost!”

“I was giving birth. You will forgive me for being a bit distracted, I am sure,” she said dryly.

That's not excuse! (<---Man talking here. :P )

Jarran,

Sarevok felt a flash of anger. Could Anomen not have trusted him? Then he remembered that the note had been written long before they had even met, much less fallen in love.

Anger is understandable, though.

Helm still hasn't gotten off his fat arse, then. :)

Good story.
TnT Enhanced Edition: http://www.fanfictio...rds-and-Tempers

---
Sith Warrior - Master, I can sense your anger.

Darth Baras - A blind, comotose lobotomy-patient could sense my anger!

---

"The New Age? It's just the old age stuck in a microwave oven for fifteen seconds" - James Randi

#9 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:11 AM

AC293-Strange

Strange is good. :P

The right kind of strange, anyway.

In a world like the realms, I'm sure there are strange sights. :wink: You'd need at least three gangsta-rapping dragons dancing the polka to surprise a realmsian kid, I wonder. :D

She's very young, though. Besides, she's more worried than surprised.

Hell, I'd be pissed off. ;)

In whose place, Jarran's or Fery's?

Imoen as a lady of the house...

I give the house three days left to live. :)

Oh, if it survived centuries of necromancers, it can take her, I think. :shock:

What, no retinal scan? :P

Think of it as a prototype.

Oh, dear. :)

He's still carrying around a lot of pain.

“I was giving birth. You will forgive me for being a bit distracted, I am sure,” she said dryly.

That's not excuse! (<---Man talking here. :lol: )

*smack*

Anger is understandable, though.

Right now, darn near everything makes him angry.

Helm still hasn't gotten off his fat arse, then. :D

Er, I'm afraid you might have missed a chapter or two. That question has already been answered. Anomen isn't coming back.

Good story.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com