I don't really know what's going on
Time and time again
It seems like everything is wrong in here

But there's still tomorrow, forget the sorrow
And I can be on the last train home
Watch it pass the day as it fades away
No more time to care, no more time today

“Last Train Home” Lostprophets

“I still do not see why we did not go straight to Athkatla,” Sarevok said with a scowl as the group passed through the gates of Trademeet.

Jarran sighed. “Look, I know you don’t like being here, but Mazzy will want to go with us, and she certainly won’t be in a condition to travel with her baby without help.”

The bard did not comment on the looks that the others exchanged. He had returned to Imnesvale, and the group agreed that they should go to Trademeet before taking Anomen’s body to Athkatla. Minsc and Aerie had decided to accompany them. Sarevok had been the only one to object to the detour. The warrior had been surly and disagreeable ever since hearing about the plans for Anomen’s funeral.

They had bought a small wagon in Imnesvale and loaded it with all the packs and bags. The wagon was of good quality, so the companions hoped that Mazzy would find it comfortable to ride in to Athkatla. The group planned to buy more horses in Trademeet, since they could certainly afford steeds rather than make a long march.

The companions made their way through the streets of Trademeet. A number of people gasped and pointed as they passed. At last they reached the center of town.

Minsc beamed at the statues that surrounded the fountain. “Boo says that he is happy to finally see Jarran’s statue! It is good to see great heroes remembered!”

Sarevok looked over the fountain with a frown. “I do not recall you speaking of this, brother.”

Jarran gave him a sheepish grin. “We helped the town, so they used magic to create these. I was rather embarrassed by the whole business.”

Sarevok nodded, then his eyes widened. He walked around the pool of water until he stood before Anomen’s statue. The warrior looked at it a long moment before turning away. “It is a fair enough likeness, but the eyes… are not Anomen’s eyes.”

Valygar said quietly, “Yes, they are. Or at least, they were when this statue was created.”

Imoen gave Sarevok a hug around his waist. “He changed a lot after he met you. You… made Anomen really happy.”

“I hope so, little sister.” He continued to circle the fountain, and scowled at the statue of Mazzy. “So the halfling has one as well. I am sure she enjoys her fame.”

Jarran shook his head. “No, she was horrified that she could see it from her house. That is her home, right over there.” He pointed towards a building with neatly kept flowers growing around the entrance.

Aerie clapped her hands together. “Oh, what a pretty little house! Do you think they will give me some seeds or cuttings from those flowers? We don’t have that sort in Imnesvale.” She gave Goldie an absentminded pat as the hamster squirmed in her carrying pouch.

“Minsc will get Aerie her flowers!”

“No!” Aerie snagged the ranger’s arm as he charged past her. “No, Minsc, that’s not what I meant. I appreciate the thought, but…”

“Oh. Boo tells Minsc that he misunderstood Aerie. I will leave the blossoms snuggled in their leafy bed.”

Jarran grinned at his friends’ antics as he approached the door of the small house. The door was flung open a few moments after his knock. Mazzy stood before them, wrapped in a ragged robe and scowling fiercely. Her hair was unkempt and the robe was stained with food and other less savory materials.

Her frown instantly cleared when she saw who was assembled on her doorstep. “Jarran! My friends! I am so pleased to see you. Please, come in.”

Imoen stared at her and said, “Er… is this a bad time? We could go to the inn and come back later.”

“No, no, it is wonderful to have a visit from you.” While the group trouped into the small parlor, she removed the dirty robe, revealing clean clothes beneath, and hung it on a peg by the door. Then Mazzy smoothed down her hair and smiled. “You must understand that since the baby was born… Pala’s friends, my mother’s friends, everyone of any social standing in Trademeet, everyone who claims to have met any of us at any time… All and sundry have come here to ‘see the baby’. Dealing with a newborn is exhausting enough, but trying to play hostess to strangers at the same time is more than I can stand.”

“But why the clothes and the hair and… looking like you wanted to eat us alive?”

The halfling chuckled. “Because the sight of me often makes unwanted visitors decide that a quick congratulations on the doorstep is more than enough. Unfortunately, I can only do it when my family is not home. Mother insists that I be polite and tells me that all new mothers go through this, but I doubt that her children were quite so famous.”

Sarevok glared. “Perhaps if you had not stolen Anomen’s name for your child, you would not have such troubles.”

Mazzy gave him a long look before snorting in amusement. “That would be true, except for the fact that since our group became the heroes of Trademeet, there has already been another Anomen, a Jaheira and three Jarrans born here. I have heard rumors of a Valygar, but I cannot be certain that is true.”

Jarran gave a start of surprise. “What? You must be joking.”

“I am not. You should not look so astonished. Naming a child after someone famous or respected is not at all unusual.”

“But… me?”

Imoen said timidly, “Mazzy, I hate to ask you this after what you told us, but… can we see the baby?”

“For you, my friend, it is not an inconvenience.” Mazzy disappeared down a hallway, then returned with a sleeping infant cradled in her arms.

Imoen squealed, then clapped her hands over her mouth. She gave a low coo then whispered, “He’s… he’s…”

“Tiny,” Sarevok said. “I cannot believe that Anomen’s name has been attached to something so weak and helpless.”

Imoen shot him a glare of irritation. “I doubt you were much to look at when you were only a few days old. Oh, Mazzy, can I hold him?”

As the companions gathered around Mazzy to ooh and aah over the baby, none noticed Sarevok slip out of the door. He stomped out into the street, ignoring the curious glances and whispered comments. He circled the fountain and came to a stop, once more in front of Anomen’s statue.

The warrior stood in silence, staring at the monument with an expressionless face. After a short time, a small group of children came to play next to the fountain. Sarevok glared at them.

One of the children noticed his frown and muttered something to another child. The youngsters gathered together and had a whispered discussion. Finally one of the boys approached him and said, “Why are you looking so mean at us?”

“You are disturbing me,” Sarevok said with a growl of irritation. “I wish to think in peace.”

A small girl stuck out her chin defiantly and said, “We play here all the time. Why should we go away for a stranger?”

“Because… because I was thinking about a friend,” Sarevok said, waving his hand at the statues. “Bah, I am justifying myself to a dirty-faced brat! Just leave me be!”

Her eyes opened wide. “A friend? You don’t mean any of the heroes, do you? Do you know them?”

“Yes, I…”

Any further words were drowned in the sudden barrage of questions the children began to ask at a rapid clip. The racket only made him scowl more angrily. “Be quiet!”

The youngsters took a step back in fear. Then a second girl asked meekly, “Have you really met them, s-sir?”

“Jarran is my brother. I also know Valygar and Jaheira, and I have met Mazzy. I have never laid eyes on the gnome. And I… I knew Anomen.”

The apprehension turned to admiration. One of the boys said eagerly, “I heard that Jarran could shoot flames from his eyes and burn up anybody who made him mad. And that his ranger friend could find any animal anywhere!”

Another chimed in, “I heard that their group was going to go to Riatavin and destroy the whole army there.”

“You are listening to foolish tales, then,” Sarevok said with a snort.

Feeling a tug on his cloak, he looked down. The timid girl was staring up at him with wide eyes. “S-sir? Do you kn-now when S-sir Anomen will start building his t-temple?”

His throat constricting in sorrow, Sarevok snarled hoarsely, “What do you know of Anomen?”

The child opened and closed her mouth fearfully, but could not speak. A boy frowned and said, “Leave her alone! Everyone in Trademeet knows about the temple.”

Feeling as though a great weight had been dropped onto his shoulders, he said, “Anomen will not be coming to Trademeet. He… he fell in battle.”

“No! You… you’re lying!” the first girl cried out.

“I was with him when he died,” Sarevok said. Suddenly he felt drained of all emotion and energy. “That is why I wanted a bit of peace. To think about… about my friend.”

The children drew together and whispered among themselves. After a few moments, one said, “We are sorry. We’ll play somewhere else.” They moved away.

“S-sir?”

Sarevok looked down to see that the small girl who had pulled on his cloak had not moved. “Yes?”

“Is it true? There won’t be a new temple?”

“I… I cannot say for certain. Perhaps the Helmites will still build their temple, but Anomen will not be the priest there.”

He was surprised to see that her eyes fill with tears. “But what if the new priest isn’t nice? What if he won’t heal people like Sir Anomen did? What if my Daddy has another accident? Who will help him?”

“Your father… Anomen healed him?”

The girl nodded as she drew the back of her hand across her face. “He chops wood in the forest. His axe slipped and it got all nasty and there was icky stuff coming out of the cut and he was all hot and sweaty and… and we thought Daddy was going to die! Sir Anomen came to our house, and he prayed, and Daddy was all better.”

Sarevok stared at her for a long moment before he said, “Soon I will be visiting the temple of Helm in Athkatla, and I will see the High Watcher. I will tell him… I will tell him to send a… a nice priest.”

“T-thank you, s-sir.” The child smiled shyly at him before running away to join her friends.

Finally alone, Sarevok turned back to the statue of the fallen priest. “I think… I think I understand now,” he said softly. “You weren’t just… just my lover. You and the others told me so many tales of your deeds, how could I forget that others would know of them as well?”

The former Bhaalspawn studied the eyes of the statue once more. Then he chuckled quietly. “You look so pleased with yourself. This is the man you told me that you once were, I can see that. Anomen… I…” He struggled for words. When at last he could speak, Sarevok said, “All right. For you, I will sit through the Helmites’ funeral. I will listen to the droning speeches and go through the meaningless rituals. I will smile when strangers speak to me of the Anomen that they knew, the Anomen who was nothing like the man I loved. For you.”

#2 Guest_Kulyok_*

Posted 04 July 2005 - 07:02 AM

Hi! It is good to see A Capella again! Thankfully, I have seen your posts in Water Cooler, and therefore knew you were alright, otherwise I would grow worried.

I am sorry I won't comment in detail: it is so sad... :) And Ano's funeral, next, so it'll get even worse... ;) :roll: :roll: Hopefully, Sarevok will be able to go on with his life. *hugs Sarevok*

I wish you a good celebration of Independence Day, and more chapters to come! (sad though they will be :roll: )

#3 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 04 July 2005 - 03:38 PM

Hi! It is good to see A Capella again! Thankfully, I have seen your posts in Water Cooler, and therefore knew you were alright, otherwise I would grow worried.

No, things are fine, just busy. And Jarran and company decided to run off for a bit, but I have dragged them back.

I am sorry I won't comment in detail: it is so sad... ;) And Ano's funeral, next, so it'll get even worse... ;) ;) ;) Hopefully, Sarevok will be able to go on with his life. *hugs Sarevok*

Oh, Sarevok's life will take some... interesting turns. But the funeral itself won't be shown. Helmite 'high ceremonies' tend to be very long and involved, and would be extremely boring to anyone but other Helmites. I won't try to inflict that on my readers. :twisted:

I wish you a good celebration of Independence Day, and more chapters to come! (sad though they will be ;) )

Thank you! But don't worry, there will be plenty of happy chapters before AC is over. Thanks for commenting!

#4 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:07 AM

The warrior had been surly and disagreeable ever since hearing about the plans for Anomen’s funeral.

"Surly and disagreeable?" Sounds like the good ol' Sarevok we all know and love. ;)

No, she was horrified that she could see it from her house.

(Chuckle) Poor Short-Round.

Her hair was unkempt and the robe was stained with food and other less savory materials.

Baby vomit perhaps?

;)

Naming a child after someone famous or respected is not at all unusual.

Case in point: "Douglas McArthur Shaftoe"...

(Character from Neal Stephenson's Cyptonomicon which I'm reading right now ;) )

I doubt you were much to look at when you were only a few days old.

Point for Immy. ;)

I heard that Jarran could shoot flames from his eyes and burn up anybody who made him mad.

And he could kill the English with sparks from his eyes and lightning from his arse... :twisted:

“T-thank you, s-sir.” The child smiled shyly at him before running away to join her friends.

Out of the mouths of babes... ;)

#5 Guest_Wyvern_*

Posted 05 July 2005 - 05:35 AM

The bard did not comment on the looks that the others exchanged. He had returned to Imnesvale, and the group agreed that they should go to Trademeet before taking Anomen’s body to Athkatla. Minsc and Aerie had decided to accompany them. Sarevok had been the only one to object to the detour. The warrior had been surly and disagreeable ever since hearing about the plans for Anomen’s funeral.

I suspect Sarevok's also upset because Anomen came back to see Mazzy, but not him.

“No!” Aerie snagged the ranger’s arm as he charged past her. “No, Minsc, that’s not what I meant. I appreciate the thought, but…”

“Oh. Boo tells Minsc that he misunderstood Aerie. I will leave the blossoms snuggled in their leafy bed.”

Cute sequence.

Sarevok glared. “Perhaps if you had not stolen Anomen’s name for your child, you would not have such troubles.”

I'm sensing jealousy at work again.

One of the children noticed his frown and muttered something to another child. The youngsters gathered together and had a whispered discussion. Finally one of the boys approached him and said, “Why are you looking so mean at us?”

That's one brave boy.

Feeling a tug on his cloak, he looked down. The timid girl was staring up at him with wide eyes. “S-sir? Do you kn-now when S-sir Anomen will start building his t-temple?”

A sad reminder that Anomen had plans for his future.

#6 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:08 PM

The warrior had been surly and disagreeable ever since hearing about the plans for Anomen’s funeral.

"Surly and disagreeable?" Sounds like the good ol' Sarevok we all know and love. :?

Yes, but they've gotten used to his *usual* surliness. :twisted:

No, she was horrified that she could see it from her house.

(Chuckle) Poor Short-Round.

I have to admit, I would find it very strange to be able to look out a window of my house and see a statue of myself.

Her hair was unkempt and the robe was stained with food and other less savory materials.

Baby vomit perhaps?

;)

Oh, that is just one of the many lovely substances that new mothers have to deal with.

Naming a child after someone famous or respected is not at all unusual.

Case in point: "Douglas McArthur Shaftoe"...

(Character from Neal Stephenson's Cyptonomicon which I'm reading right now ;) )

In RL, I've often wondered if naming your child after someone noble or famous puts them on a fast track to crime. I can't count how many times I've seen suspect names like 'George Washington Smith'.

I doubt you were much to look at when you were only a few days old.

Point for Immy. ;)

I've never really seen any impressive looking babies.

I heard that Jarran could shoot flames from his eyes and burn up anybody who made him mad.

And he could kill the English with sparks from his eyes and lightning from his arse... ;)

;)

Out of the mouths of babes... ;)

Children have a way of going to the heart of things.

Thanks for commenting!

#7 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:27 PM

I suspect Sarevok's also upset because Anomen came back to see Mazzy, but not him.

I'd say that's a pretty good bet.

Cute sequence.

Thanks. :twisted:

I'm sensing jealousy at work again.

Yep.

That's one brave boy.

Kids tend to be braver in groups. Hehehe, not to mention they could probably outrun him.

A sad reminder that Anomen had plans for his future.

And that Anomen was involved in many people's lives.

Thanks for commenting!

#8 Laufey

Posted 06 July 2005 - 11:38 AM

Minsc beamed at the statues that surrounded the fountain. “Boo says that he is happy to finally see Jarran’s statue! It is good to see great heroes remembered!”

Sarevok looked over the fountain with a frown. “I do not recall you speaking of this, brother.”

Nah, he wouldn't, I don't think. :twisted: It's the sort of thing that's hard to mention without sounding boastful.

Jarran grinned at his friends’ antics as he approached the door of the small house. The door was flung open a few moments after his knock. Mazzy stood before them, wrapped in a ragged robe and scowling fiercely. Her hair was unkempt and the robe was stained with food and other less savory materials.

Not getting much sleep? :twisted:

“No, no, it is wonderful to have a visit from you.” While the group trouped into the small parlor, she removed the dirty robe, revealing clean clothes beneath, and hung it on a peg by the door. Then Mazzy smoothed down her hair and smiled. “You must understand that since the baby was born… Pala’s friends, my mother’s friends, everyone of any social standing in Trademeet, everyone who claims to have met any of us at any time… All and sundry have come here to ‘see the baby’. Dealing with a newborn is exhausting enough, but trying to play hostess to strangers at the same time is more than I can stand.”

Ah...yes, I can fully imagine that.

The apprehension turned to admiration. One of the boys said eagerly, “I heard that Jarran could shoot flames from his eyes and burn up anybody who made him mad. And that his ranger friend could find any animal anywhere!”

Lovely! :twisted:

“Your father… Anomen healed him?”

The girl nodded as she drew the back of her hand across her face. “He chops wood in the forest. His axe slipped and it got all nasty and there was icky stuff coming out of the cut and he was all hot and sweaty and… and we thought Daddy was going to die! Sir Anomen came to our house, and he prayed, and Daddy was all better.”

Sarevok stared at her for a long moment before he said, “Soon I will be visiting the temple of Helm in Athkatla, and I will see the High Watcher. I will tell him… I will tell him to send a… a nice priest.”

Awwwww!

The former Bhaalspawn studied the eyes of the statue once more. Then he chuckled quietly. “You look so pleased with yourself. This is the man you told me that you once were, I can see that. Anomen… I…” He struggled for words. When at last he could speak, Sarevok said, “All right. For you, I will sit through the Helmites’ funeral. I will listen to the droning speeches and go through the meaningless rituals. I will smile when strangers speak to me of the Anomen that they knew, the Anomen who was nothing like the man I loved. For you.”

*Sniffles* Poor Sarevok...perhaps he'll find some peace, yet.
Rogues do it from behind.

#9 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 06 July 2005 - 01:27 PM

Nah, he wouldn't, I don't think. :twisted: It's the sort of thing that's hard to mention without sounding boastful.

Yes, I can't see Jarran saying "Have I told you about my statue?"

Not getting much sleep? :twisted:

Hehehe, Mazzy is taking the advice of the nurse who taught my childbirth class. She recommended that, when you needed rest, you answer the door in your dirtiest bathrobe and scream, "What? What do you want?" to send visitors running.

I remember her exact words were, "You're a new mother. You have the right to get some sleep and enjoy your baby. Use every dirty trick in the book if you have to."

Ah...yes, I can fully imagine that.

I imagined that for her it would be the usual "We want to see the baby" times ten.

For those who have never had kids, I'm not exaggerating about the strange drive people have to visit when you are barely home from the hospital and in no mood to socialize. My youngest was two days old when my husband and I were blasted awake by a siren right in front of our house. We ran to the door to discover that one of my husband's friends, who drove an ambulance, had stopped by. When he couldn't wake us by knocking and ringing the bell, he turned on the siren. My husband swears to this day that the screaming rant I unleashed was louder than the siren.

Lovely! :shock:

In a world where there is magic and strange creatures, it isn't surprising the stories would be full of weirdness.

Awwwww!

Well, he isn't heartless, after all.

*Sniffles* Poor Sarevok...perhaps he'll find some peace, yet.

Oh, I have plans for Sarevok, things that he never imagined.

Thanks for commenting!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com