Gotham Central: In the Line of Duty (Part 5)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 28 June 2005 - 10:23 PM

Notemeal:

1. Wanna know what Freeze is really up to? Find out in this section.

2. Wanna see Freeze get taken down? See that next section. :twisted:

Squadroom: Major Crimes Unit
Gotham Central
4:53 P.M.

“Enara?”

She was sitting behind her desk, leaning back in her chair. Her hands were folded in her lap, and her eyes were closed, but she was awake, and she heard him. “Don’t bother asking how I am, Anomen. You already know the answer.”

He frowned slightly, though she didn’t see it through her closed eyelids. “All right-”

She opened her eyes and leaned forward in her chair. “Wait. Sorry,” she said, just as he’d begun to turn away. “I… I didn’t mean to snap at you.”

He nodded and gave her a half-smile which he hoped came across as reassuring. “No apologies necessary. I understand.”

Allen and Montoya walked into the room just then, and found that the rest of the unit had already arrived, and were sitting around waiting for the chance to compare notes. “All right… let’s hear it… what do you got?” She nodded towards Detectives Hartley and Azaveda. “Trey?”

The tall and skinny one with the blonde hair and fashionable GQ eyeglasses was Detective Trey Hartley. He pulled a notepad from his shirt pocket and began skimming through what little was written on it. “Didn’t get much from the known associates, I’m afraid. They, uh… don’t speak highly of Fries as an employer.”

His partner, Joshua Azaveda, put in a quip of his own. “Surprising, we know.”

Next up were Anchev and Crowe. The Sergeant took the lead in giving their report. “No reported thefts from the legit diamond businesses, but Nate and Anomen did come up with something interesting.”

Detective Nathaniel Patton nodded his head. “Yeah. Someone hit the Odessa Boys for twenty mil… in ice.

“That’s word on the street, though, so take it for what it’s worth,” said Anomen.

Burke and Procjnow took over the debriefing after that, the Irish detective taking charge of reporting their findings. “Well, whatever Freeze uses, it’s definitely something custom. We checked a whole bunch of medical suppliers – the kind that sell meat lockers to the National Guard barracks or cooling units for blood banks. They don’t have anything even remotely close to the type of equipment Freeze packs.” Tommy Burke ended his short speech with a confused shrug.

“Twenty mil in diamonds. How many does this guy need to make his gizmos go?” Montoya asked, half-rhetorically.

“Well, interesting that you would ask that, Renee…” Procjnow put in, folding her arms across her chest, “as my partner here got a crash course in the art and science of the deep freeze.”

Burke nodded and ran a hand over his short, dark hair. “Way it works, doesn’t actually take so much energy to freeze something. Keeping it froze, that’s the trick.”

Renee gave an acknowledging nod to that. “All right. So he’s definitely out to freeze something big… an entire building, maybe? Wayne Tower? City Hall? Half the lower East Side?” She shook her head. “We still don’t know where, and we still don’t know when,” she grumbled in growing frustration. “For what it’s worth,” she continued, adding to the shared pool of information, “Cris and I checked out that place by the inn… it’s been abandoned for some time, but it used to sell furnaces, oil heaters, air conditioners, that kinda thing. Wasn’t anything left inside by the time we got there, though…”

Allen had been taking notes down on the chalkboard during the multiple debriefings, and had tried to organize all the available information as best he could. He tapped the chalk against the board to get everyone’s attention. “Ok, everyone… let’s go over it again…”

Enara hadn’t said a word since the debriefings had begun, but she had rolled out her desk chair to where the other detectives were struggling to put two and two together. She was leaned forward in her seat, with her elbows planted on her knees, and her fingers folded over her mouth. Freeze’s voice kept echoing in her head.

“Lesson One!”

“You know… Gotham police… incredibly uneducated lot…”

“… ready for… advanced curriculum…”

She blinked, trying to clear her mind of Freeze’s taunting words, trying to concentrate instead on where he was, what he could be doing, and most importantly, what he hoped to achieve. Her gaze drifted back to her desk, covered in file folders, paper clips, Post-It notes, a Powerpuff Girls desk calendar, pencils, used staples, granola bar wrappers-

Something caught her eye; she stood up, strode briskly to the desk and picked up the object, holding it between suddenly trembling fingers.

“Damn it! That son of a –“

A couple of dozen heads turned in her direction. From the front of the room, Captain Sawyer gave her a wary eye. “Detective Kell?”

“It’s been right in front of us all damn day… the sick bastard practically gave us a hand-written invitation… except we already got the printed version a week ago.” There was a professionally embossed invitation card in her hand, and she held it up for everyone to see. She read from it:

“The President, Faculty, and Graduating Class of Gotham State University Announce the Conferring of the Honorary Degree of Doctorate in the Field of Criminology to Mr. Gorion Greenmantle-

Renee Montoya looked floored. She reached into her pocket and pulled forth a similarly engraved invitation. Several of the other MCU cops did the same, staring at the cards in mute disbelief. Montoya eventually broke the silence. “Oh, my God… the ceremony…”

Enara was out the squadroom door in a heartbeat. She burst into Akins’ office. “Commissioner, we have to turn on the signal, right now!”

Gotham City’s newest top-cop looked up from the never-ending backlog of work on his desk. He blinked at her in confusion. “What? I thought you-”

“There’re too many lives involved now, sir…” She shook her head grimly. “It’s too big for us.”

-----

The MCU squadroom had gone into full-on crisis mode. At least a dozen of Gotham’s Finest were bustling around inside, throwing on coats, checking weapons, and fumbling for car keys. At the front of the room, Captain Margaret Sawyer was, almost calmly, directing traffic. “C’mon! Let’s move, people!” she said, ushering two more of her charges out the door. “Remember! Undercover!” she called out to the departing personnel. “We don’t want to start a panic!”

Beside her, Lieutenant Probson was on the horn, issuing orders to some of the other MCU members already out in the field. “Use your earpieces… stay on the net,” he was telling them. “But nobody move until we’ve got Q.R.T. in place!” As soon as he’d hung up, Sawyer pointed a finger at him.

“Lieutenant, you supervise the floor until I get there. I’ll talk to Henelly and follow the backup units out.”

He nodded. “Got it.”

The squadroom was empty now, except for one person. She picked up the receiver of a nearby telephone and punched in a few numbers. The person on the other end picked up after the first ring. “Lieutenant Henelly? This is Captain Sawyer in the MCU… get a Quick Reaction Team mobilized and down to Gotham State University… that’s right. We think Freeze is going for the Commencement Ceremony.”

#2 Guest_Wyvern_*

Posted 29 June 2005 - 05:16 AM

The tall and skinny one with the blonde hair and fashionable GQ eyeglasses was Detective Trey Hartley. He pulled a notepad from his shirt pocket and began skimming through what little was written on it. “Didn’t get much from the known associates, I’m afraid. They, uh… don’t speak highly of Fries as an employer.”

Danny's not the first employee to get frozen. On the other hand-I suspect Fries employee's never hear the phrase 'you're fired' :twisted: :twisted:

“Lesson One!”

Handing out clues for the cops, just like all the super-villains do.

“There’re too many lives involved now, sir…” She shook her head grimly. “It’s too big for us.”

That's a tough thing to admit, but very mature.

The squadroom was empty now, except for one person. She picked up the receiver of a nearby telephone and punched in a few numbers. The person on the other end picked up after the first ring. “Lieutenant Henelly? This is Captain Sawyer in the MCU… get a Quick Reaction Team mobilized and down to Gotham State University… that’s right. We think Freeze is going for the Commencement Ceremony.”

I think Freeze wants the police there in full force.

#3 Guest_Userunfriendly_*

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:17 AM

Notemeal:

She was sitting behind her desk, leaning back in her chair. Her hands were folded in her lap, and her eyes were closed, but she was awake, and she heard him. “Don’t bother asking how I am, Anomen. You already know the answer.”

yeah...but he just so loves the sound of his own voice...nah...he's actually being a good guy... :roll:

He frowned slightly, though she didn’t see it through her closed eyelids. “All right-”

tactful? :twisted:

you gotta wonder at the quality of henchmen in gotham these days...

Wanted: Henchmen for Mr. Freeze. Must have parka, must be able to shoot guns, take abuse from employer, and like cold food. Apply now!

Detective Nathaniel Patton nodded his head. “Yeah. Someone hit the Odessa Boys for twenty mil… in ice.

why doesn't freeze use synthetic diamonds? I'd always figure he'd raid commercial industrial warehouses for the much cheaper synthetic diamonds...

“Twenty mil in diamonds. How many does this guy need to make his gizmos go?” Montoya asked, half-rhetorically.

that is a lot of ice...

“Lesson One!”

yep, your typical bad guy mouthing off...

She blinked, trying to clear her mind of Freeze’s taunting words, trying to concentrate instead on where he was, what he could be doing, and most importantly, what he hoped to achieve. Her gaze drifted back to her desk, covered in file folders, paper clips, Post-It notes, a Powerpuff Girls desk calendar, pencils, used staples, granola bar wrappers-

powerpuff girls desk calender? :twisted: ;) ;)

“The President, Faculty, and Graduating Class of Gotham State University Announce the Conferring of the Honorary Degree of Doctorate in the Field of Criminology to Mr. Gorion Greenmantle-

poor gorion... :roll:

is freeze smart enough to keep from doing the classic bad guy exposition?

yes.

so we can assume that whatever he said, he said it deliberately. now my original theory was that freeze would lure the cops in to freeze them all.

what single act would completely hurt poor gorion more than anything imaginable? to see a huge number of cops in gotham city killed by freezing in front of his eyes. not even the loss of his own daughters would be worse than to see his own people killed in front of him, and he can't do a thing about it.

that's my guess.

more soon please! :twisted: :twisted:

#4 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:46 PM

Notemeal:

1. Wanna know what Freeze is really up to? Find out in this section.

2. Wanna see Freeze get taken down? See that next section. :lol:

What if I want to see Freeze turned into the most complicated frozen margarita machine on the planet? What then?

Poor Ano. Poor Enara.

She opened her eyes and leaned forward in her chair. “Wait. Sorry,” she said, just as he’d begun to turn away. “I… I didn’t mean to snap at you.”

He nodded and gave her a half-smile which he hoped came across as reassuring. “No apologies necessary. I understand.”

See, Ano isn't always a jerk.

Imoen: "Just almost."

Anomen: "Hey!"

He gives his staff the real cold shoulder. Never warms up to them. Always a chilly reception. ;)

Next up were Anchev and Crowe. The Sergeant took the lead in giving their report. “No reported thefts from the legit diamond businesses, but Nate and Anomen did come up with something interesting.”

That would tip off the cops. :lol:

20 mil? Nice.

Bran: "I've had my hands on that much. Long story, but I needed to offload that cargo just to pay for the repairs."

Burke and Procjnow took over the debriefing after that, the Irish detective taking charge of reporting their findings. “Well, whatever Freeze uses, it’s definitely something custom. We checked a whole bunch of medical suppliers – the kind that sell meat lockers to the National Guard barracks or cooling units for blood banks. They don’t have anything even remotely close to the type of equipment Freeze packs.” Tommy Burke ended his short speech with a confused shrug.

Well, supervillains do tend for the custom gear. :)

Burke nodded and ran a hand over his short, dark hair. “Way it works, doesn’t actually take so much energy to freeze something. Keeping it froze, that’s the trick.”

Actually... it takes a great deal of energy.. well energy drain to freeze something. But that's just the chemist in me being a punk. :)

Enara hadn’t said a word since the debriefings had begun, but she had rolled out her desk chair to where the other detectives were struggling to put two and two together. She was leaned forward in her seat, with her elbows planted on her knees, and her fingers folded over her mouth. Freeze’s voice kept echoing in her head.

“Lesson One!”

Could it be a Clue? :lol:

Something caught her eye; she stood up, strode briskly to the desk and picked up the object, holding it between suddenly trembling fingers.

Voila!

“Damn it! That son of a –“

A couple of dozen heads turned in her direction. From the front of the room, Captain Sawyer gave her a wary eye. “Detective Kell?”

Cap isn't sure she just didn't pop her top. :D

“It’s been right in front of us all damn day… the sick bastard practically gave us a hand-written invitation… except we already got the printed version a week ago.” There was a professionally embossed invitation card in her hand, and she held it up for everyone to see. She read from it:

Aww damn.. it is a trap. :D And poor Gorion.

Renee Montoya looked floored. She reached into her pocket and pulled forth a similarly engraved invitation. Several of the other MCU cops did the same, staring at the cards in mute disbelief. Montoya eventually broke the silence. “Oh, my God… the ceremony…”

Enara was out the squadroom door in a heartbeat. She burst into Akins’ office. “Commissioner, we have to turn on the signal, right now!”

Gotham City’s newest top-cop looked up from the never-ending backlog of work on his desk. He blinked at her in confusion. “What? I thought you-”

Because it's a trap.

BatMan: (as Bruce Wayne) "Damn! Of all the lousy timing!"

Secretary: "What is it Mr. Wayne."

BatMan: "I just remembered... I have a meeting."

Secretary: "Of course sir." *gets out from under desk*

;)

The MCU squadroom had gone into full-on crisis mode. At least a dozen of Gotham’s Finest were bustling around inside, throwing on coats, checking weapons, and fumbling for car keys. At the front of the room, Captain Margaret Sawyer was, almost calmly, directing traffic. “C’mon! Let’s move, people!” she said, ushering two more of her charges out the door. “Remember! Undercover!” she called out to the departing personnel. “We don’t want to start a panic!”

Detective: *picks up a tactical shotgun* "No. Not big enough. We need bigger guns. Much Bigger Guns." (Line from an older movie)

The Gotham equivalent of SWAT huh? :D

I hope Freeze at least wears a suit. :D

Fun stuff Alpha, fun stuff.

VH

#5 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 29 June 2005 - 08:19 PM

2. Wanna see Freeze get taken down? See that next section. :lol:

I can’t wait to see that bastard go down. In flames. :lol:

Anomen’s just can’t help it, he’s a big fuzzy care bear. ;)

I’m surprised they speak at all! :lol:

“Lesson One!”

Hmm, does Freeze has some special gripe with the cops? I mean, the usual supervillains would think cops way below their notice, wouldn’t they?

She blinked, trying to clear her mind of Freeze’s taunting words, trying to concentrate instead on where he was, what he could be doing, and most importantly, what he hoped to achieve. Her gaze drifted back to her desk, covered in file folders, paper clips, Post-It notes, a Powerpuff Girls desk calendar

;) Lemme guess, she’s a long time fan.

I didn’t quite catch what led Enara to that thought…

Edit: Whops, got that on a re-read. The uneducated - University link, of course. Dumb me. :D

Good thing she doesn’t rush headlong into this… would also just earn herself more guilt, after that. If she would have survived.

Well, I guess he is… why though? Only to kill lotsa cops? Seems kind of… modest goal for a supervillain, doesn’t it?

#6 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 30 June 2005 - 12:09 AM

Danny's not the first employee to get frozen. On the other hand-I suspect Fries employee's never hear the phrase 'you're fired'

Probably not. For one, I don't think Freeze is all that fond of puns. Secondly, I'm trying to picture him saying that with the "Donald Trump" inflections... and it's just not working. ;)

Handing out clues for the cops, just like all the super-villains do.

Villains always get undone in the exposition. ;)

That's a tough thing to admit, but very mature.

There's a good line (Well, I like it. :lol: ) next section where Enara says something like "I don't like this, but I'm a cop in Gotham. I can't afford to live in denial."

Kinda sums up the attitudes of a lot of the G.C.P.D. if you ask me.

I think Freeze wants the police there in full force.

He probably just wants somebody to try and stop him so that he can get his jollies out of besting them. He leaves them hints, and they still can't stop his plan... that's gonna be a huge boost to the old super-villain ego.

#7 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 30 June 2005 - 12:13 AM

yeah...but he just so loves the sound of his own voice...nah...he's actually being a good guy...

Oh, certainly, he can be an arrogant jerk a lot of the time, but to be fair, I hardly think Enara would have fallen for him if he were completely devoid of worth. ;)

tactful?

Either that, or he just doesn't want her jumping out of her chair and punching him in the mouth. :lol:

Wanted: Henchmen for Mr. Freeze. Must have parka, must be able to shoot guns, take abuse from employer, and like cold food. Apply now!

Thing is, despite the risks, there's still a chance they'll get paid... -and- live long enough to spend that money. That's enough for a lot of hoodlums.

why doesn't freeze use synthetic diamonds? I'd always figure he'd raid commercial industrial warehouses for the much cheaper synthetic diamonds...

They're probably just not as effective as the real ones. Don't know... it's just something that's been part of DC-continuity for a while.

powerpuff girls desk calender?

;)

I like the show. No, really. :lol:

poor gorion...

It certainly hasn't been easy for him since Falynn and Imoen were killed during NML.

so we can assume that whatever he said, he said it deliberately. now my original theory was that freeze would lure the cops in to freeze them all.

Question is, will he get away with it?

Probably not. :D

#8 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 30 June 2005 - 12:22 AM

What if I want to see Freeze turned into the most complicated frozen margarita machine on the planet? What then?

Then you have to write it. ;)

Poor Ano. Poor Enara.

She's gonna be in a pretty lousy mood until this is all over.

See, Ano isn't always a jerk.

I give him a hard time, but I actually do like the guy. At the very least, I can understand his attitude problems, and the cause of them.

He gives his staff the real cold shoulder. Never warms up to them. Always a chilly reception.

(Sigh)

(Double sigh)

:lol:

20 mil? Nice.

Not exactly chump change... and stealing that much from the Odessa Boys (A.K.A. Gotham's Russian Mob)? That's not... smart... unless, of course, you're one of Batman's Rogues Gallery, and then no one's gonna try and stop you.

Well, supervillains do tend for the custom gear.

Most do, yeah... except for, maybe someone like Two-Face. He tends to keep his hardware mundane... maybe change the motif around a little, but that's about all.

Actually... it takes a great deal of energy.. well energy drain to freeze something. But that's just the chemist in me being a punk.

Yeah. I know all about endothermic reactions. Chem and Bio were the two sciences I kicked butt at. It was the higher math in physics that gave me problems. :D

Cap isn't sure she just didn't pop her top.

Pretty much. Though given Sawyer's previous job, she's probably seen worse. When you've worked the supervillain task force in Metropolis, Gotham isn't a whole lot different. :lol:

Because it's a trap.

BatMan: (as Bruce Wayne) "Damn! Of all the lousy timing!"

Secretary: "What is it Mr. Wayne."

BatMan: "I just remembered... I have a meeting."

Secretary: "Of course sir." *gets out from under desk*

Heh. Swap the secretary for Selina Kyle, and we're in business. :lol:

Then again, in the cartoons, he ended up with Barbara Gordon for a while... yeah... -that- Barbara Gordon.

;)

The Gotham equivalent of SWAT huh?

I've seen it called "Tac" in one of the other comics/books, but in the Gotham Central comics, they've been calling it QRT. But yeah, I suppose the terms are pretty much interchangeable.

I hope Freeze at least wears a suit.

Sure. It's big, heavy, gray, and has a big ol' glass jar for a helmet. :)

#9 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 30 June 2005 - 12:27 AM

I can’t wait to see that bastard go down. In flames.

Tell you the truth, if there's anyone I really wanted to see get his butt kicked, it's the Joker. I mean, he's one of those villains I definitely love to hate. I mean, the guy's just done some awful stuff. Barbara Gordon's in a chair now because Joker shot her. Jim Gordon's a widower now because Joker shot and killed his wife. In the cartoons, he captured and brainwashed Tim Drake (Robin #3)... I mean that's just wrong... Etc. etc.

And yet, he's so got -style-. It's creepy.

Anomen’s just can’t help it, he’s a big fuzzy care bear.

He's fuzzy, all right... I know people like the beard, but I don't... I guess I'm just jealous since I can't grow facial hair. ;)

:D

I’m surprised they speak at all!

Not all of them got killed. Some just ended up in jail! :lol:

Hmm, does Freeze has some special gripe with the cops? I mean, the usual supervillains would think cops way below their notice, wouldn’t they?

Not necessarily... it might not be a grudge against the cops in general, but more a specific cop. Lots of people wanted Jim Gordon dead... several attempts on his life during the course of his career as police commissioner. (Shrug)

Lemme guess, she’s a long time fan.

Ok, so that's a tiny bit of transference there. Sue me. ;)

Whops, got that on a re-read. The uneducated - University link, of course. Dumb me.

Don't worry about it. Tell you the truth, I didn't catch it myself, the first time I read through the comic.

Good thing she doesn’t rush headlong into this… would also just earn herself more guilt, after that. If she would have survived.

Well, I need her alive for the sections to follow, so I wouldn't worry that much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com