Photo

Cards Reshuffled 243

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Laufey

Posted 26 March 2005 - 05:40 AM

Cards Reshuffled 243 – Insights

Open your eyes, my servants. Such is my first request to you. Open your eyes and see what truly is, not what you wish for, not what you fear. Only by seeing the truth clearly can we judge fairly the world around us. And to see the world clearly, first look deep within your hearts.

Excerpt from ‘Tenets of Helm’

Anomen watched in horror as Mazzy came bounding out through the doorway as fast as her short legs could carry her, braids flying around her head. Behind her came…a monstrosity. There could be no other word for it. A hulking, fleshless thing, as large as an ogre or bigger, with creaking joints and empty eye sockets. It looked rather as if somebody had gathered together bones of all sorts, one from each kind of monster listed in a bestiary, and then cobbled them together.

“Bone golem!” Edwin shouted. “Magic won’t work – and you chimps had best take it down quickly.”

Much as he resented the rudeness, Anomen had to admit to himself that the wizard was right. The golem had vicious claws on both hands and feet, and its fangs looked as long as Anomen’s hand. Also, despite its large size, it was fast. It was already gaining on Mazzy as the halfling raced across the lava river, narrowly avoiding falling in.

The cleric stepped forward, shoulder to shoulder with Minsc and Jaheira and with Valygar right behind them. Even as he raised the Flail of Ages, he shot a concerned look at the druid who was readying her scimitar, her jaw set in a grim expression.

That sword will do little good against a skeletal beast such as this one…she should…

But no. That was a thought he might have entertained before, but he knew better now. There was no way to convince Jaheira to stand back and let others fight her battles for her. And…he did admire her for that.

Like a fierce lioness, protecting her pride. And she…

“Anomen! Stop woolgathering!” Jaheira snarled, and he found his focus again. Seconds later, the golem was upon them.

Zaerini, Jan and Edwin had fallen back behind the warriors, knowing that their magic would have little or no effect. Jan kept firing his crossbow so rapidly that his hands were a swift blur, and Zaerini followed suit with her bow, bolts of lightning flashing against the living bones, crackling through the hollow skull.

Anomen met the first attack, managing to block a powerful blow with his shield. The golem was strong – his arm was aching all the way up to his shoulder. “For the glory of Helm!” he roared, and then attacked in turn, and his flail struck against the bony kneecaps in front of him, partially cracking them. The monster hissed and tottered, but did not fall.

Meanwhile, Mazzy had turned to make a stand of her own, now that she was across the bridge, and she took up position by Valygar’s side, slashing from below even as he struck from above. Still, they were not having much luck – their blades kept sliding against the slick bones of their foe, doing little to no damage. The same went for Minsc, who was screaming with berserker rage, shouting something that Anomen couldn’t quite make out about hamsters. He decided that he probably didn’t want to know anyway.

Jaheira had fared as badly as the others – but now she pulled back a little, casting a spell. Fire flared in her hands, so bright it hurt to look at it, and her regular scimitar was replaced by a blade of fire. The druid dexterously maneuvered herself around Minsc’s shoulder, the flame blade flashed, and this time the golem’s roar was one of pain.

Fire. Fire will harm it. But how can we…

“The lava!” Anomen called out. “Force it into the lava river!”

His companions got his meaning, and strove to surround the golem, to force it to back off towards the edge of the bride. Yet they couldn’t quite make it – the monster’s reach was long, and forced them to keep their distance. Anomen felt hot blood splattering against his cheek, and turned to see Minsc, his helmet struck from his head and his scalp torn open. Bright red blood was pulsing forth, and the large ranger sagged to his knees, unable to stand. Valygar too was bleeding, there was a long cut in his leather armor where it had been ripped open, and dark wetness inside.

Then, a voice. An agitated, high-strung voice, coming from behind.

“Down, you fools!” Edwin screamed. “Down, if you value your miserable lives!”

Not all that long ago, Anomen would have hesitated to obey such a rude attempt at commanding him. Not now – not in the heat of battle, though he would like to have words with Edwin later on about his tone of voice. Instead, he threw himself to the ground, dragging Jaheira with him, and saw that Valygar was following their example. Mazzy did not, but half turned, looking highly indignant. Then, her jaw dropped with horror as she saw what was heading rapidly towards her.

A large fireball whooshed above the warriors, leaving behind a disgusting charred smell, and struck the golem in the chest. While it didn’t do the thing any actual damage, the force of the impact was enough to make the golem topple that little extra bit that was necessary. The bone golem roared a final time, and then fell backwards, arms outstretched. As it disappeared into the lava, Anomen almost thought he could make out a facial expression on its bony face – one of deep surprise and resentment.

Not as much resentment as could be seen on Mazzy’s sooty face though. The halfling seemed more or less unharmed, but half her hair had been burnt into a black and frizzy crisp, and the stench of it was atrocious. She touched it, winced as she pulled out a large clump, and then pointed accusingly at Edwin.

“Listen carefully, mage. I have noticed you launch your spells in battle without first making sure one of us is not in the way. If you hurt anyone, I will kill you. Is that clear enough?”

“What?!” Zaerini sputtered. “You were the one who didn’t..:”

But Edwin interrupted her, and the sneer on his face was aptly matched by the amount of venom he instilled in his voice. “(No doubt my kneecaps are in some danger.) Halfling, here you stand still living thanks to the use of my magic. Question me not.”

“I shall never need that kind of assistance in a battle,” Mazzy said. “You threaten us much as our enemies with your carelessness. Your recklessness will not be tolerated.” She pushed her way past Anomen forcefully enough that he had to clutch Valygar’s arm in order not to be tipped into the lava after the golem. “You have been warned, Edwin. Do not think to test my resolve, I will act for the best of the group.”

Edwin opened his mouth, but whatever he had meant to say would remain a mystery.

“For the best of the group?!” Zaerini looked quite livid now, there were red splotches in her cheeks and her eyes were blazing. Even preoccupied as he was with casting a healing spell on the prone Minsc, he could tell that she was furious. “The group?! He’s a part of this group – and a valued part at that. But you…” She closed her eyes for a moment, her fists clenched at her sides. “No…” She muttered. “Won’t…let you…make me…not worth it.” Her eyes opened again, and some of the fire in them had gone down, enough that Anomen no longer feared she would launch herself at Mazzy and tear the halfling’s throat out. “Shut up, Mazzy. Just…shut up. And keep doing it, if you know what’s good for you.” Edwin was at her side now, his arm around her waist, comforting, and he was whispering something into her ear as she leant wearily against him. Anomen was surprised to realize that watching it didn’t hurt. There was no more than a slight wistfulness, but no jealousy any longer.

He…really loves her. And I…I loved the idea of being in love. Of courting, of earning the favor of a beautiful lady. Perhaps it could have grown into more, had things been different…but they are not.

The two lovers had removed themselves from the group a little, once Zaerini had reassured herself that nobody had been seriously harmed, and now they were standing some distance into the tunnel, whispering quietly to each other. Anomen gave them a final glance, then resolutely looked away – and found himself meeting a pair of solemn green eyes.

“Good,” Jaheira calmly said, but quietly enough that none of the others could hear. “I am glad to see you are being sensible, at long last, for your own sake.”

“One cannot be a fool forever, my lady,” Anomen replied with a wry smile. “Not even I. And while I will confess that eternal pining for some lost love is something I enjoy in literature, the reality of it is far less appealing. One must move on and…” He suddenly gulped, feeling as if an icy fist had clenched his stomach, as he realized what he had just said. “Lady Jaheira, I…I am truly sorry. Your own grief…quite a different matter of course, I had not meant to imply that…”

The druid raised her hand, silencing him, and she shook her head. “No,” she said. “You meant no harm, and no offence was taken.” There was the faint shadow of a smile on her lips. “And besides, Anomen, if you never put your foot in your mouth you would not be you, and that would be a great shame.”

“Ah…er…truly?“

“Truly.” Her voice grew brisk and business-like again. “Now then, we must attend to our duties. There are some cuts and scrapes, but I think we should save some spells for when they are urgently needed. We do not want to be caught with none in reserve.”

Anomen readily agreed with this, and they went on with their work, administering healing where necessary, bandages and poultices where not. After that was over and done with, it was time to explore the rooms on the other side. Jan, Valygar, Mazzy and Jaheira headed into the one on the right, and it wasn’t long before he could be heard shouting something eager about ‘hidden papers’ and ‘rituals’. They weren’t complete, but they seemed to be related to the statue the group had encountered before.

Meanwhile, Anomen followed Zaerini, Edwin and Minsc into the room on the left. It was mostly empty – apart from a single object. The altar that Jan had mentioned before, undoubtedly. Mazzy had been wrong though, this was no altar created by the Shade Lord or any other evil entity. It was decorated with a large, golden statue, its arms spread out as if to embrace somebody or to carry a child, its face bent downwards with a vaguely sad smile on its lips.

“Amaunator,” Zaerini stated. “Odd kind of statue, isn’t it? It almost looks as if it’s waiting for something. I wonder what?”

Edwin yawned. “Uninteresting in the extreme,” he said. “And of course it cannot in any way compare to the magnificent artworks of Thay.”

“Ooooh, Minsc knows what the nice statue is waiting for! It looks sad and lonely, so it wants a nice big hug!” Minsc beamed brightly at the others, proud of his contribution.

Anomen examined the base. “It has an inscription,” he said. “It says… ‘Bring me the Lost, so they may once again see the Sun.’ Apart from the reference to Amaunator as a sun god, I cannot say what it could possibly mean though.”

“Well,” Zaerini said, “I guess we won’t ever find out, unless we should run into Amaunator again. It’s probably just something about converting those who have left his faith or something.”

“Then we should leave,” Edwin said, pulling his robes closer around him. “This place has nothing to recommend it, and I see no reason for lingering here. (Unless we could somehow get rid of these two and have some private time, something that seems sadly unlikely.)”

The bard nodded. “Right,” she said. “Let’s go back…I spotted a third door back in the room with the lava, we’re done here anyway.”

Yet as he turned to leave, Anomen felt a sudden chill along his spine. Something told him that though there seemed to be nothing further to do here at this time, they were anything but done with this solemn place.
Rogues do it from behind.

#2 Guest_Kulyok_*

Posted 26 March 2005 - 06:53 AM

[quote]Cards Reshuffled 243 – Insights[/quote]

*grin* The benefit of waking up in 11.00 am in the morning is to see a fresh chapter of Cards Reshuffled... and from Anomen's POV, no less. :roll:

[quote]Open your eyes, my servants. Such is my first request to you. Open your eyes and see what truly is, not what you wish for, not what you fear. Only by seeing the truth clearly can we judge fairly the world around us. And to see the world clearly, first look deep within your hearts.

[/quote]

A god after my own heart, he is.

[quote]Anomen watched in horror as Mazzy came bounding out through the doorway as fast as her short legs could carry her, braids flying around her head. [/quote]

Not so corky now, is she ?

[quote]Behind her came…a monstrosity. There could be no other word for it. A hulking, fleshless thing, as large as an ogre or bigger, with creaking joints and empty eye sockets. It looked rather as if somebody had gathered together bones of all sorts, one from each kind of monster listed in a bestiary, and then cobbled them together.

“Bone golem!” Edwin shouted. “Magic won’t work – and you chimps had best take it down quickly.” [/quote]

Good description ! Better than in-game one, a large skeleton.

[quote]Meanwhile, Mazzy had turned to make a stand of her own, now that she was across the bridge, and she took up position by Valygar’s side, slashing from below even as he struck from above. Still, they were not having much luck – their blades kept sliding against the slick bones of their foe, doing little to no damage. [/quote]

Hm, are their blades enchanted ?

[quote]The same went for Minsc, who was screaming with berserker rage, shouting something that Anomen couldn’t quite make out about hamsters. He decided that he probably didn’t want to know anyway. [/quote]

Lol ! No, I really don't want to know about what Boo could do to the Bone Golem.

[quote]His companions got his meaning, and strove to surround the golem, to force it to back off towards the edge of the bride. Yet they couldn’t quite make it – the monster’s reach was long, and forced them to keep their distance. Anomen felt hot blood splattering against his cheek, and turned to see Minsc, his helmet struck from his head and his scalp torn open. Bright red blood was pulsing forth, and the large ranger sagged to his knees, unable to stand. Valygar too was bleeding, there was a long cut in his leather armor where it had been ripped open, and dark wetness inside. [/quote]

Liked this one.

[quote]Not all that long ago, Anomen would have hesitated to obey such a rude attempt at commanding him. Not now – not in the heat of battle, though he would like to have words with Edwin later on about his tone of voice. Instead, he threw himself to the ground, dragging Jaheira with him, and saw that Valygar was following their example. Mazzy did not, but half turned, looking highly indignant. Then, her jaw dropped with horror as she saw what was heading rapidly towards her.[/quote]

He-he-he... bad discipline, Mazzy, every soldier knows you have to duck.

[quote]A large fireball whooshed above the warriors, leaving behind a disgusting charred smell, and struck the golem in the chest. While it didn’t do the thing any actual damage, the force of the impact was enough to make the golem topple that little extra bit that was necessary. [/quote]

Interesting use of Fireballs. Worked for me.

[quote]Not as much resentment as could be seen on Mazzy’s sooty face though. The halfling seemed more or less unharmed, but half her hair had been burnt into a black and frizzy crisp, and the stench of it was atrocious. [/quote]

You are evil. :?

[quote]“Listen carefully, mage. I have noticed you launch your spells in battle without first making sure one of us is not in the way. If you hurt anyone, I will kill you. Is that clear enough?”[/quote]

That was very evil ! :wink: I mean, now she sounds as if anyone means her and her alone.

[quote]He…really loves her. And I…I loved the idea of being in love. Of courting, of earning the favor of a beautiful lady. Perhaps it could have grown into more, had things been different…but they are not. [/quote]

That's very unusual, but it works for me, too ! (looks very surprised)

[quoteThe druid raised her hand, silencing him, and she shook her head. “No,” she said. “You meant no harm, and no offence was taken.” There was the faint shadow of a smile on her lips. “And besides, Anomen, if you never put your foot in your mouth you would not be you, and that would be a great shame.”

“Ah…er…truly?“

“Truly.” Her voice grew brisk and business-like again. “Now then, we must attend to our duties. There are some cuts and scrapes, but I think we should save some spells for when they are urgently needed. We do not want to be caught with none in reserve.”
[/quote]

*wistfully thinks that Anomen will die much earlier than Jaheira, and Edwin will die much earlier than Zaerini*

[quote]Anomen examined the base. “It has an inscription,” he said. “It says… ‘Bring me the Lost, so they may once again see the Sun.’ Apart from the reference to Amaunator as a sun god, I cannot say what it could possibly mean though.”

“Well,” Zaerini said, “I guess we won’t ever find out, unless we should run into Amaunator again. It’s probably just something about converting those who have left his faith or something.” [/quote]

(*shudders, thinking about her own story*)

I've remembered the "may your names be forgotten... cat... wolf" chapter of "Cards Reshuffled", in Kveroslava's tent, here. :wink:

[quote]“Then we should leave,” Edwin said, pulling his robes closer around him. “This place has nothing to recommend it, and I see no reason for lingering here. (Unless we could somehow get rid of these two and have some private time, something that seems sadly unlikely.)”[/quote]

Not with Mazzy around, no. Sorry, Edwin.

[quote]Yet as he turned to leave, Anomen felt a sudden chill along his spine. Something told him that though there seemed to be nothing further to do here at this time, they were anything but done with this solemn place.[/quote]

Strange feeling indeed, Ano. :wink: But I don't think Bodhi would abduct you as well...

Dragon now ? Please ? Pretty please ? :lol:

#3 Guest_Wyvern_*

Posted 26 March 2005 - 07:08 AM

That sword will do little good against a skeletal beast such as this one…she should…

But no. That was a thought he might have entertained before, but he knew better now. There was no way to convince Jaheira to stand back and let others fight her battles for her. And…he did admire her for that.

He picks the worst moments to start mooning...

His companions got his meaning, and strove to surround the golem, to force it to back off towards the edge of the bride. Yet they couldn’t quite make it – the monster’s reach was long, and forced them to keep their distance. Anomen felt hot blood splattering against his cheek, and turned to see Minsc, his helmet struck from his head and his scalp torn open. Bright red blood was pulsing forth, and the large ranger sagged to his knees, unable to stand. Valygar too was bleeding, there was a long cut in his leather armor where it had been ripped open, and dark wetness inside.

It almost hurts just to read about their injuries.

Not all that long ago, Anomen would have hesitated to obey such a rude attempt at commanding him. Not now – not in the heat of battle, though he would like to have words with Edwin later on about his tone of voice. Instead, he threw himself to the ground, dragging Jaheira with him, and saw that Valygar was following their example. Mazzy did not, but half turned, looking highly indignant. Then, her jaw dropped with horror as she saw what was heading rapidly towards her.

Oh dear, I know what Mazzy banter you're leading up to.

“Listen carefully, mage. I have noticed you launch your spells in battle without first making sure one of us is not in the way. If you hurt anyone, I will kill you. Is that clear enough?”

Hee, she might not make it out of the temple alive.

“Amaunator,” Zaerini stated. “Odd kind of statue, isn’t it? It almost looks as if it’s waiting for something. I wonder what?”

Edwin yawned. “Uninteresting in the extreme,” he said. “And of course it cannot in any way compare to the magnificent artworks of Thay.”

first he insults Amaunator and now the statue. Maybe he wants to be a vampire :?

#4 Laufey

Posted 26 March 2005 - 08:02 AM

[quote][quote]Cards Reshuffled 243 – Insights[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
*grin* The benefit of waking up in 11.00 am in the morning is to see a fresh chapter of Cards Reshuffled... and from Anomen's POV, no less. :(
[/quote]

Thank you. :roll:

[quote]
Excerpt from ‘Tenets of Helm’ [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
A god after my own heart, he is.
[/quote]

I like him too. :lol:

[quote]
[quote]Meanwhile, Mazzy had turned to make a stand of her own, now that she was across the bridge, and she took up position by Valygar’s side, slashing from below even as he struck from above. Still, they were not having much luck – their blades kept sliding against the slick bones of their foe, doing little to no damage. [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Hm, are their blades enchanted ?
[/quote]

Yes, but I'm being technical here and assuming that edged weapons will have a harder time against a fleshless creature than blunt ones, which will smash bones easier. At least I think so. ;)

[quote]
[quote]His companions got his meaning, and strove to surround the golem, to force it to back off towards the edge of the bride. Yet they couldn’t quite make it – the monster’s reach was long, and forced them to keep their distance. Anomen felt hot blood splattering against his cheek, and turned to see Minsc, his helmet struck from his head and his scalp torn open. Bright red blood was pulsing forth, and the large ranger sagged to his knees, unable to stand. Valygar too was bleeding, there was a long cut in his leather armor where it had been ripped open, and dark wetness inside. [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Liked this one.
[/quote]

Thanks!

[quote]
[quote]A large fireball whooshed above the warriors, leaving behind a disgusting charred smell, and struck the golem in the chest. While it didn’t do the thing any actual damage, the force of the impact was enough to make the golem topple that little extra bit that was necessary. [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Interesting use of Fireballs. Worked for me.
[/quote]

I know it's not quite like that in the game, but it seems reasonable enough to me.

[quote]
[quote]Not as much resentment as could be seen on Mazzy’s sooty face though. The halfling seemed more or less unharmed, but half her hair had been burnt into a black and frizzy crisp, and the stench of it was atrocious. [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
You are evil. :?
[/quote]

Thank you. :wink:

[quote]
[quote]“Listen carefully, mage. I have noticed you launch your spells in battle without first making sure one of us is not in the way. If you hurt anyone, I will kill you. Is that clear enough?”[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
That was very evil ! :wink: I mean, now she sounds as if anyone means her and her alone.
[/quote]

Oh, I don't think she quite means that - at least not consciously. I'm sure she's managed to convince herself that she's acting 'for the good of the party'

[quote]
[quote]He…really loves her. And I…I loved the idea of being in love. Of courting, of earning the favor of a beautiful lady. Perhaps it could have grown into more, had things been different…but they are not. [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
That's very unusual, but it works for me, too ! (looks very surprised)
[/quote]

Glad to hear it!

[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
*wistfully thinks that Anomen will die much earlier than Jaheira, and Edwin will die much earlier than Zaerini*
[/quote]

Well, perhaps...then again, there are dangerous battles ahead, so one never knows...

[quote]
“Well,” Zaerini said, “I guess we won’t ever find out, unless we should run into Amaunator again. It’s probably just something about converting those who have left his faith or something.” [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
(*shudders, thinking about her own story*)
[/quote]

[quote]
I've remembered the "may your names be forgotten... cat... wolf" chapter of "Cards Reshuffled", in Kveroslava's tent, here. :wink:
[/quote]

Oh, they'll see this altar again, all right.

[quote]
Dragon now ? Please ? Pretty please ? :D[/quote]

Very soon. ;)

#5 Laufey

Posted 26 March 2005 - 08:04 AM

He picks the worst moments to start mooning...

Just like in the game, in other words. :wink:

It almost hurts just to read about their injuries.

Thanks! :wink:

first he insults Amaunator and now the statue. Maybe he wants to be a vampire :?

Put it down to Edwin's immense Thayvian Diplomacy skill. :wink:

#6 Guest_Userunfriendly_*

Posted 26 March 2005 - 10:40 AM

Anomen watched in horror as Mazzy came bounding out through the doorway as fast as her short legs could carry her, braids flying around her head. Behind her came…a monstrosity. There could be no other word for it. A hulking, fleshless thing, as large as an ogre or bigger, with creaking joints and empty eye sockets. It looked rather as if somebody had gathered together bones of all sorts, one from each kind of monster listed in a bestiary, and then cobbled them together.

urm...mazzy, the way its suppose to work is that the halfling THIEF sneaks into the room full of baddies, AFTER telling the rest of the party what she's going to do, shoots an arrow into a sensitive spot, then run out so the party is READY to whomp the bad guy running after you... :?

Much as he resented the rudeness, Anomen had to admit to himself that the wizard was right. The golem had vicious claws on both hands and feet, and its fangs looked as long as Anomen’s hand. Also, despite its large size, it was fast. It was already gaining on Mazzy as the halfling raced across the lava river, narrowly avoiding falling in.

bone golem...sure looked scary when i first saw it... ;)

i usually give her a quarterstaff for most of the game...she's more effective...

Zaerini, Jan and Edwin had fallen back behind the warriors, knowing that their magic would have little or no effect. Jan kept firing his crossbow so rapidly that his hands were a swift blur, and Zaerini followed suit with her bow, bolts of lightning flashing against the living bones, crackling through the hollow skull.

and doing not much...slingstones against joints might work..

Anomen met the first attack, managing to block a powerful blow with his shield. The golem was strong – his arm was aching all the way up to his shoulder. “For the glory of Helm!” he roared, and then attacked in turn, and his flail struck against the bony kneecaps in front of him, partially cracking them. The monster hissed and tottered, but did not fall.

hit it again...if you crack a knee, its basically helpless...

Meanwhile, Mazzy had turned to make a stand of her own, now that she was across the bridge, and she took up position by Valygar’s side, slashing from below even as he struck from above. Still, they were not having much luck – their blades kept sliding against the slick bones of their foe, doing little to no damage. The same went for Minsc, who was screaming with berserker rage, shouting something that Anomen couldn’t quite make out about hamsters. He decided that he probably didn’t want to know anyway.

probably for the best... :?

Jaheira had fared as badly as the others – but now she pulled back a little, casting a spell. Fire flared in her hands, so bright it hurt to look at it, and her regular scimitar was replaced by a blade of fire. The druid dexterously maneuvered herself around Minsc’s shoulder, the flame blade flashed, and this time the golem’s roar was one of pain.

ah yes...the flameblade...a really useful spell, especially my version...you remember, i sent you a copy of my version? :)

this is where a quarter staff would be really handy...use it to push it into the river...

yeah..she's so short she doesn't have to duck.. :?

Not as much resentment as could be seen on Mazzy’s sooty face though. The halfling seemed more or less unharmed, but half her hair had been burnt into a black and frizzy crisp, and the stench of it was atrocious. She touched it, winced as she pulled out a large clump, and then pointed accusingly at Edwin.

:wink: :wink: :wink: one order of burnt halfling, sunny side up!!!

“I shall never need that kind of assistance in a battle,” Mazzy said. “You threaten us much as our enemies with your carelessness. Your recklessness will not be tolerated.” She pushed her way past Anomen forcefully enough that he had to clutch Valygar’s arm in order not to be tipped into the lava after the golem. “You have been warned, Edwin. Do not think to test my resolve, I will act for the best of the group.”

she is so frikking pushy, and so self righteous and sanctimonious...despite her rather impressive skills, i always drop her...she is such a git..

“For the best of the group?!” Zaerini looked quite livid now, there were red splotches in her cheeks and her eyes were blazing. Even preoccupied as he was with casting a healing spell on the prone Minsc, he could tell that she was furious. “The group?! He’s a part of this group – and a valued part at that. But you…” She closed her eyes for a moment, her fists clenched at her sides. “No…” She muttered. “Won’t…let you…make me…not worth it.” Her eyes opened again, and some of the fire in them had gone down, enough that Anomen no longer feared she would launch herself at Mazzy and tear the halfling’s throat out. “Shut up, Mazzy. Just…shut up. And keep doing it, if you know what’s good for you.” Edwin was at her side now, his arm around her waist, comforting, and he was whispering something into her ear as she leant wearily against him. Anomen was surprised to realize that watching it didn’t hurt. There was no more than a slight wistfulness, but no jealousy any longer.

wait a sec...she can't cast healing spells...

“One cannot be a fool forever, my lady,” Anomen replied with a wry smile. “Not even I. And while I will confess that eternal pining for some lost love is something I enjoy in literature, the reality of it is far less appealing. One must move on and…” He suddenly gulped, feeling as if an icy fist had clenched his stomach, as he realized what he had just said. “Lady Jaheira, I…I am truly sorry. Your own grief…quite a different matter of course, I had not meant to imply that…”

anomen and jaheira??? :( :D :D

mazzy and anomen would be far more likely... :roll:

The druid raised her hand, silencing him, and she shook her head. “No,” she said. “You meant no harm, and no offence was taken.” There was the faint shadow of a smile on her lips. “And besides, Anomen, if you never put your foot in your mouth you would not be you, and that would be a great shame.”

I mean his coat of arms shows a sock coming out of a pair of lips... :lol:

Anomen readily agreed with this, and they went on with their work, administering healing where necessary, bandages and poultices where not. After that was over and done with, it was time to explore the rooms on the other side. Jan, Valygar, Mazzy and Jaheira headed into the one on the right, and it wasn’t long before he could be heard shouting something eager about ‘hidden papers’ and ‘rituals’. They weren’t complete, but they seemed to be related to the statue the group had encountered before.

yep...the books...

a vampire heart and a corpse... :D edwin's corpse..

why do i get this mental image of the Thay Metropolitan Museum of Art looking like the sunset strip in vegas??? ;)

Anomen examined the base. “It has an inscription,” he said. “It says… ‘Bring me the Lost, so they may once again see the Sun.’ Apart from the reference to Amaunator as a sun god, I cannot say what it could possibly mean though.”

it breaks vampire curses, so you can see the sun again...

Yet as he turned to leave, Anomen felt a sudden chill along his spine. Something told him that though there seemed to be nothing further to do here at this time, they were anything but done with this solemn place.

yay!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

#7 Laufey

Posted 26 March 2005 - 11:30 AM

urm...mazzy, the way its suppose to work is that the halfling THIEF sneaks into the room full of baddies, AFTER telling the rest of the party what she's going to do, shoots an arrow into a sensitive spot, then run out so the party is READY to whomp the bad guy running after you... :D

I think she forgot to read the manual. :D

bone golem...sure looked scary when i first saw it... :(

It does, doesn't it? It's so big, and those claws... :D

i usually give her a quarterstaff for most of the game...she's more effective...

I've tried both approaches. Either can be useful I think, with the right weapon.

probably for the best... :D

Yes. :D

ah yes...the flameblade...a really useful spell, especially my version...you remember, i sent you a copy of my version? :)

I know. :D I'm afraid I haven't tried it out yet, it's been a long time since I actually played BG2 for various reasons. I will one day though.

yeah..she's so short she doesn't have to duck.. :?

But not *quite* short enough...

:wink: :wink: :wink: one order of burnt halfling, sunny side up!!!

And very well done. :roll:

she is so frikking pushy, and so self righteous and sanctimonious...despite her rather impressive skills, i always drop her...she is such a git..

That sums her up pretty well to me, yes.

wait a sec...she can't cast healing spells...

Anomen can, it was he who was casting the spell. Perhaps I should make that sentence clearer.

anomen and jaheira??? :D :) :)

mazzy and anomen would be far more likely... :lol:

Oh, I think it might just work out... :D

I mean his coat of arms shows a sock coming out of a pair of lips... ;)

Yuck! :D

why do i get this mental image of the Thay Metropolitan Museum of Art looking like the sunset strip in vegas??? ;)

I think it probably does, yes. :D

yay!!!!!!!!! :) :? :?

The dragon still awaits, after all...

#8 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 26 March 2005 - 12:17 PM

Open your eyes, my servants. Such is my first request to you. Open your eyes and see what truly is, not what you wish for, not what you fear. Only by seeing the truth clearly can we judge fairly the world around us. And to see the world clearly, first look deep within your hearts.

Hey, it’s Ano’s POV! I’ve been waiting for this! :(

Aw, dang! :wink:

She should have known that, being an experienced adventurer and so on, but I suppose it’s not like any of them could have predicted that they would be fighting skeletons, and there probably aren’t many blunt weapons lying around.

Hey, the boy has the right idea, finally. :roll:

Nice! Hardly ever use the spell in the game, but it’s one of those that look a lot better in the story. :lol:

Glad to see Anomen coming up with a sound plan for once! Now, if only we could get that golem to drag Mazzy in the lava as well…

Ouch!! :wink:

Yay! I think I know what’s (in)coming… :?

Ah, now this I love. I thought the Valygar-Mazzy banter in the previous chapter didn’t work that well, but here, I think the setup is spot on. Very well done indeed! :wink:

That does sound pretty credible to me, she is of the kind of sanctimonious and righteous smiters that would easily justify her own violent actions and threats in the name of Greater Good for us all.

“For the best of the group?!” Zaerini looked quite livid now, there were red splotches in her cheeks and her eyes were blazing. Even preoccupied as he was with casting a healing spell on the prone Minsc, he could tell that she was furious. “The group?! He’s a part of this group – and a valued part at that. But you…” She closed her eyes for a moment, her fists clenched at her sides. “No…” She muttered. “Won’t…let you…make me…not worth it.” Her eyes opened again, and some of the fire in them had gone down, enough that Anomen no longer feared she would launch herself at Mazzy and tear the halfling’s throat out. “Shut up, Mazzy. Just…shut up. And keep doing it, if you know what’s good for you.” Edwin was at her side now, his arm around her waist, comforting, and he was whispering something into her ear as she leant wearily against him.

Wow, Edwin actually calming down Rini? What an amazing turnaround! :D

Anomen was surprised to realize that watching it didn’t hurt. There was no more than a slight wistfulness, but no jealousy any longer.

Good on you, Ano!

He…really loves her. And I…I loved the idea of being in love. Of courting, of earning the favor of a beautiful lady. Perhaps it could have grown into more, had things been different…but they are not.

Oh, I quite agree. I think it was most that he felt he was *supposed* to be in love with her… you know, like the heroine of one those romance novels, destined to be with the fair knight, and so on. But now that he’s done some growing, he can see things for what they truly are.

Hee hee! Ano, calm down, I am sure she didn’t take it like that. :D

Awww! ;)

I suggest you remember those words. Better even, write them down.

Indeed, and it’s not going to be a return that any of them will enjoy… ;)

#9 Laufey

Posted 26 March 2005 - 01:29 PM

Hey, it’s Ano’s POV! I’ve been waiting for this! :)

Yes, I promised you it was coming up after all. :wink:

She should have known that, being an experienced adventurer and so on, but I suppose it’s not like any of them could have predicted that they would be fighting skeletons, and there probably aren’t many blunt weapons lying around.

No, and she can't carry a weapon for every kind of situation either.

Hey, the boy has the right idea, finally. :roll:

:wink:

Nice! Hardly ever use the spell in the game, but it’s one of those that look a lot better in the story. :lol:

Indeed it does, much better.

Glad to see Anomen coming up with a sound plan for once! Now, if only we could get that golem to drag Mazzy in the lava as well…

Oh no, I have other plans for Mazzy. ;)

Ah, now this I love. I thought the Valygar-Mazzy banter in the previous chapter didn’t work that well, but here, I think the setup is spot on. Very well done indeed! :?

Glad you liked it!

That does sound pretty credible to me, she is of the kind of sanctimonious and righteous smiters that would easily justify her own violent actions and threats in the name of Greater Good for us all.

Well, it *is* what she says in the game - this part is verbatim.

Oh, I quite agree. I think it was most that he felt he was *supposed* to be in love with her… you know, like the heroine of one those romance novels, destined to be with the fair knight, and so on. But now that he’s done some growing, he can see things for what they truly are.

*nods* That's more or less how I see it, yes.

Awww! ;)

:wink:

I suggest you remember those words. Better even, write them down.

Of course they won't. :(

Indeed, and it’s not going to be a return that any of them will enjoy… :D

Except for their sadistic writer. :D

#10 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 26 March 2005 - 05:50 PM

as fast as her short legs could carry her

She's like a dwarf. Her short legs mean she can't sprint all that fast, but, like a dwarf, once she gets going... :wink:

Also, despite its large size, it was fast.

Like the xenomorphs from the Alien(s) movies. Now those are some creepy critters.

And…he did admire her for that.

(Snicker)

Sounds like our boy's got a bit of a crush going... :wink:

“Anomen! Stop woolgathering!”

I can figure out from context what that means, but I don't think I've ever heard that phrase before.

Jan kept firing his crossbow so rapidly that his hands were a swift blur, and Zaerini followed suit with her bow, bolts of lightning flashing against the living bones, crackling through the hollow skull.

Thank Gond for automatic weapons... :?

Raven: "Sorry, honey, but that's crap. You never launch an artillery strike without clearing your target area of friendlies. Blue on blue (Friendly fire) incidents are -not- acceptable. Never."

if you never put your foot in your mouth you would not be you

Well, she's right about -that-. ;)

Harlequin: "She's right about a lot of things."

Raven: "I know. It's annoying, isn't it?"

“Uninteresting in the extreme,” he said. “And of course it cannot in any way compare to the magnificent artworks of Thay.”

(Scoff) Yeah. I'm sure the finger-painting over there is top notch.

Ass.

:roll: :wink:

“Ooooh, Minsc knows what the nice statue is waiting for! It looks sad and lonely, so it wants a nice big hug!” Minsc beamed brightly at the others, proud of his contribution.

It's times like these that I wonder if Minsc wasn't actually some kind of eccentric genius before his head injury. :lol:

Something told him that though there seemed to be nothing further to do here at this time, they were anything but done with this solemn place.

Hmmmm... well, -someone's- going to have to get de-vampirized later...

#11 Laufey

Posted 26 March 2005 - 09:44 PM

Also, despite its large size, it was fast.

Like the xenomorphs from the Alien(s) movies. Now those are some creepy critters.

You mean the 'face huggers' or the 'tummy bursters'? Either were creepy for sure.

And…he did admire her for that.

(Snicker)

Sounds like our boy's got a bit of a crush going... :?

Possibly, possibly...

“Anomen! Stop woolgathering!”

I can figure out from context what that means, but I don't think I've ever heard that phrase before.

I think it's the right context, but of course I'm not a native English speaker, so if it isn't, I'd be grateful if somebody told me.

Raven: "Sorry, honey, but that's crap. You never launch an artillery strike without clearing your target area of friendlies. Blue on blue (Friendly fire) incidents are -not- acceptable. Never."

But threatening to kill a member of the group that just saved your life is worse, in my book. Let's not argue about it though - I don't have the stomach for that just now.

“Uninteresting in the extreme,” he said. “And of course it cannot in any way compare to the magnificent artworks of Thay.”

(Scoff) Yeah. I'm sure the finger-painting over there is top notch.

Actually, I think they probably have decent art, but very gaudy architecture. I tend to see the culture as 'classical/decadent'.

It's times like these that I wonder if Minsc wasn't actually some kind of eccentric genius before his head injury. :wink:

Sure makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Something told him that though there seemed to be nothing further to do here at this time, they were anything but done with this solemn place.

Hmmmm... well, -someone's- going to have to get de-vampirized later...

True...sooner or later...

#12 Guest_User_Unknown_*

Posted 27 March 2005 - 11:02 AM

“Bone golem!” Edwin shouted. “Magic won’t work – and you chimps had best take it down quickly.”

Very quickly.

Longer legs can move further.

The cleric stepped forward, shoulder to shoulder with Minsc and Jaheira and with Valygar right behind them. Even as he raised the Flail of Ages, he shot a concerned look at the druid who was readying her scimitar, her jaw set in a grim expression.

Karn: Hey, it's an admirable trait.

Karn: Either he's really good at acting crazy, or he's taken about ten too many blows to the head. Maybe both.

Karn: Lava bath! One of my favorite tactics. Even if I have to go with them.

Karn: *Pulls out a brown handbook* Okay shorty, We need go over the rules of combat. Number 243: When a wizard says duck, duck. Failure to do so will likely injure and/or kill you. And let me tell you that death doesn't feel too good when you're getting there by severe bleeding or burning.

A large fireball whooshed above the warriors, leaving behind a disgusting charred smell, and struck the golem in the chest. While it didn’t do the thing any actual damage, the force of the impact was enough to make the golem topple that little extra bit that was necessary. The bone golem roared a final time, and then fell backwards, arms outstretched. As it disappeared into the lava, Anomen almost thought he could make out a facial expression on its bony face – one of deep surprise and resentment.

You're welcome.

Of course. He who has spent the least time in the group always knows what's best for the group. :)

Karn: Right. I'm sure she has a brain in there that could have told her that. It just doesn't get much oxygen behind such a thick skull, so it can't be used much.

“Good,” Jaheira calmly said, but quietly enough that none of the others could hear. “I am glad to see you are being sensible, at long last, for your own sake.”

Alark Mohair: Just like if that bratty half dragon didn't do something suicidal, it wouldn't be him. And that wouldn't be a great shame.

Meanwhile, Anomen followed Zaerini, Edwin and Minsc into the room on the left. It was mostly empty – apart from a single object. The altar that Jan had mentioned before, undoubtedly. Mazzy had been wrong though, this was no altar created by the Shade Lord or any other evil entity. It was decorated with a large, golden statue, its arms spread out as if to embrace somebody or to carry a child, its face bent downwards with a vaguely sad smile on its lips.

Edwin, here's a resolution for you to make, starting next minute. Try and think of possible consequences of your actions. If there a chance, even a miniscule one, of something coming up really bad, don't do it.

“Well,” Zaerini said, “I guess we won’t ever find out, unless we should run into Amaunator again. It’s probably just something about converting those who have left his faith or something.”

“Then we should leave,” Edwin said, pulling his robes closer around him. “This place has nothing to recommend it, and I see no reason for lingering here. (Unless we could somehow get rid of these two and have some private time, something that seems sadly unlikely.)”

A second resolution: try to concentrate on something other than that when you are in a desecrated temple. Loud moaning and screams of that sort will only gather unwanted attention.

The bard nodded. “Right,” she said. “Let’s go back…I spotted a third door back in the room with the lava, we’re done here anyway.”

Nope. Gonna have to come out here at least once more.

#13 Laufey

Posted 27 March 2005 - 11:43 AM

Karn: Hey, it's an admirable trait.

I certainly think so. :(

Karn: Either he's really good at acting crazy, or he's taken about ten too many blows to the head. Maybe both.

A few too many blows, I think.

Karn: *Pulls out a brown handbook* Okay shorty, We need go over the rules of combat. Number 243: When a wizard says duck, duck. Failure to do so will likely injure and/or kill you. And let me tell you that death doesn't feel too good when you're getting there by severe bleeding or burning.

*nods* Yes indeed.

Of course. He who has spent the least time in the group always knows what's best for the group. :)

Of course. And is the loudest and rudest about explaining it. :roll:

Edwin, here's a resolution for you to make, starting next minute. Try and think of possible consequences of your actions. If there a chance, even a miniscule one, of something coming up really bad, don't do it.

Edwin is a poster child for High Int, Low Wis. :P

A second resolution: try to concentrate on something other than that when you are in a desecrated temple. Loud moaning and screams of that sort will only gather unwanted attention.

:lol:

Nope. Gonna have to come out here at least once more.

And it won't be nice either. :D

#14 Guest_hanfist_*

Posted 28 March 2005 - 09:26 AM

Laufey your use of wool-gathering is spot on (like almost everything else)

From the Oxford Englih Dictionary:
wool-gathering, vbl. n. and gerund.
2. In fig. phr. to go (run, be) wool-gathering, formerly
always a (or on, of) wool-gathering: to indulge in wandering
fancies or purposeless thinking; to be in a dreamy or absent-minded
state: said esp. of 'the wits', etc.

So wool-gathering a., indulging in wandering thoughts
or idle fancies.

Great chapter too, especially the Anomen point of view stuff. In my current game I just dropped Mazzy in Trademeet even though I am playing a Paladin and trying to role-play him as much as possible (which was why I dumped Jan for Mazzy in the Shade-Lord temple). Once Mazzy's quest took us to trademeet and she left the party I just couldn't stop myself from taking on Tashia to make up the six...don't know if I can force Arthur to take her back (Mazzy that is).

#15 Laufey

Posted 28 March 2005 - 09:38 AM

Laufey your use of wool-gathering is spot on (like almost everything else)

From the Oxford Englih Dictionary:
wool-gathering, vbl. n. and gerund.
2. In fig. phr. to go (run, be) wool-gathering, formerly
always a (or on, of) wool-gathering: to indulge in wandering
fancies or purposeless thinking; to be in a dreamy or absent-minded
state: said esp. of 'the wits', etc.

So wool-gathering a., indulging in wandering thoughts
or idle fancies.

Aha, thank you! :?:

Great chapter too, especially the Anomen point of view stuff. In my current game I just dropped Mazzy in Trademeet even though I am playing a Paladin and trying to role-play him as much as possible (which was why I dumped Jan for Mazzy in the Shade-Lord temple). Once Mazzy's quest took us to trademeet and she left the party I just couldn't stop myself from taking on Tashia to make up the six...don't know if I can force Arthur to take her back (Mazzy that is).

Well, personally I don't think your paladin is obliged to like Mazzy just because he's a paladin. Paladins are individuals, after all. Saving her from the Shade Lord, yes, that's the right thing to do, but once she's safe and sound it's not as if he owes her anything. So don't force him - that's my advice.

Anyway, I've never played with Tashia - do you like her? She's a sorceress, I believe?

#16 Guest_hanfist_*

Posted 28 March 2005 - 12:25 PM

It wasn't that I felt my Paladin HAD to like Mazzy, I had just sort of decided that probably I would keep her until Imoen in spellhold after picking up Mazzy because my Arthur (said Paladin) just couldn't get on with Jan. (For the first time ever I had dobbed in Jan to Triax, but then I bailed him out after Isaea hijacked Nalia).
But Mazzy is IRRITATING, and she doesn't give you any role-playable reason why you would want to go and get her back after she leaves the party to make sure her sister is ok.

As for Tashia, it's early days yet. I do like it that she is rather shy about her own, obviously troubled past. Bit of a relief compared with Aerie and Vic. Of course it helped in the decision to take her on that Arthur is on the rebound, sortof, with Yasraena -- a most excellent drow fighter npc mod IMHO -- after she's just told him he ``can never be my ssinring''.

I can let you know more about tashia in a week or so if you like?

Getting back onto commenting on Cards, it struck me that one of the things I liked in this chapter and the previous one was the way that mazzy brings out/back? Eddie and Rini's vicious streak. I have been treating myself by rereading the original In the Cards and one of the many things that is so good about it is how HARD Rini, Eddie and Dekaras are. It was sort of shocking too, because it seems to me that in cards reshuffled they are all more likely to make fun of people than to kill them, whereas sudden, violent death seems more part of the program in the first one. When I read about Dekaras killing Abduh and the bandits, it seemed a bit strange because in Cards reshuffled he comes across as more avunclular. Just an impression, for what it's worth.

#17 Laufey

Posted 28 March 2005 - 01:02 PM

It wasn't that I felt my Paladin HAD to like Mazzy, I had just sort of decided that probably I would keep her until Imoen in spellhold after picking up Mazzy because my Arthur (said Paladin) just couldn't get on with Jan. (For the first time ever I had dobbed in Jan to Triax, but then I bailed him out after Isaea hijacked Nalia).
But Mazzy is IRRITATING, and she doesn't give you any role-playable reason why you would want to go and get her back after she leaves the party to make sure her sister is ok.

Heh, I couldn't agree more. :?:

As for Tashia, it's early days yet. I do like it that she is rather shy about her own, obviously troubled past. Bit of a relief compared with Aerie and Vic. Of course it helped in the decision to take her on that Arthur is on the rebound, sortof, with Yasraena -- a most excellent drow fighter npc mod IMHO -- after she's just told him he ``can never be my ssinring''.

I can let you know more about tashia in a week or so if you like?

Sure, I'd like that. :)

Getting back onto commenting on Cards, it struck me that one of the things I liked in this chapter and the previous one was the way that mazzy brings out/back? Eddie and Rini's vicious streak. I have been treating myself by rereading the original In the Cards and one of the many things that is so good about it is how HARD Rini, Eddie and Dekaras are. It was sort of shocking too, because it seems to me that in cards reshuffled they are all more likely to make fun of people than to kill them, whereas sudden, violent death seems more part of the program in the first one. When I read about Dekaras killing Abduh and the bandits, it seemed a bit strange because in Cards reshuffled he comes across as more avunclular. Just an impression, for what it's worth.

You have a point there, I'm sure, since I've been writing this story for so long I wouldn't be at all surprised if the way I present the characters has altered a bit. Still, you'll eventually be treated to Dekkie doing something *very* nasty, although it'll be a long while before I get to that point. :) He will have his reasons, but it still will be rather shocking, I hope.

#18 Guest_Kulyok_*

Posted 28 March 2005 - 01:21 PM

You have a point there, I'm sure, since I've been writing this story for so long I wouldn't be at all surprised if the way I present the characters has altered a bit. Still, you'll eventually be treated to Dekkie doing something *very* nasty, although it'll be a long while before I get to that point. :) He will have his reasons, but it still will be rather shocking, I hope.

A hint ? A little hint ? Pleeeease ? :)

He's not going to rape anyone, killing someone is in his character (I can't imagin anyone he wouldn't kill, from Aran Linvail to Imoen), falling in love with another woman is a definite no-no, assisiting Yoshimo or Irenicus does not shock... WHAT can it be :?: *intrigued*

#19 Laufey

Posted 28 March 2005 - 01:42 PM

[quote]
You have a point there, I'm sure, since I've been writing this story for so long I wouldn't be at all surprised if the way I present the characters has altered a bit. Still, you'll eventually be treated to Dekkie doing something *very* nasty, although it'll be a long while before I get to that point. :) He will have his reasons, but it still will be rather shocking, I hope.[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
A hint ? A little hint ? Pleeeease ? :D
[/quote]

[quote]
He's not going to rape anyone, killing someone is in his character (I can't imagin anyone he wouldn't kill, from Aran Linvail to Imoen), falling in love with another woman is a definite no-no, assisiting Yoshimo or Irenicus does not shock... WHAT can it be :?: *intrigued*[/quote]

Sorry, no spoilers. :) It's going to be a surprise.

#20 Guest_RickTaylor_*

Posted 28 March 2005 - 08:09 PM

Hmmmmm. Something different today. Interesting, and a nice quotation. I haven’t figured out what it refers to yet.

Anomen watched in horror as Mazzy came bounding out through the doorway as fast as her short legs could carry her, braids flying around her head.

:oops: She ran away?!?!?!?!?!? I can’t even credit her with foolhardy bravery. Oh well, I’m glad she survived, nonetheless.

Behind her came…a monstrosity. There could be no other word for it. A hulking, fleshless thing, as large as an ogre or bigger, with creaking joints and empty eye sockets. It looked rather as if somebody had gathered together bones of all sorts, one from each kind of monster listed in a bestiary, and then cobbled them together.

Gulp! Nice description; it’s even scarier than in the game.

:roll: Oh I wish Dekaras was here to hear that; his hard work did pay off.

Yup!

Anomen!

“Anomen! Stop woolgathering!” Jaheira snarled, and he found his focus again.

;) If she only knew.

Cool!

Yay! Ummmmm, what about Mazzy? She has to redeem herself here.

Meanwhile, Mazzy had turned to make a stand of her own,
now that she was across the bridge, and she took up position by Valygar’s side, slashing from below even as he struck from above.

Yay! (Honest, I wrote that last comment before I read this)

Yayyyyyyyy!!!

Easier said than done.

Not all that long ago, Anomen would have hesitated to obey such a rude attempt at commanding him. Not now – not in the heat of battle, though he would like to have words with Edwin later on about his tone of voice.

When the wizard says duck, you’d better duck.

Instead, he threw himself to the ground, dragging Jaheira with him, and saw that Valygar was following their example. Mazzy did not, but half turned, looking highly indignant. Then, her jaw dropped with horror as she saw what was heading rapidly towards her.

Oops. Hopefully she’s short enough it doesn’t matter.

A large fireball whooshed above the warriors, leaving behind a disgusting charred smell, and struck the golem in the chest. While it didn’t do the thing any actual damage, the force of the impact was enough to make the golem topple that little extra bit that was necessary. The bone golem roared a final time, and then fell backwards, arms outstretched.

Preciouuuuuuuuussssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As it disappeared into the lava, Anomen almost thought he could make out a facial expression on its bony face – one of deep surprise and resentment.

Bone Golem:
(*grumbles*) I told those idiots it was a bad idea to put me in a room over a lava bed.

Ok, time for Mazzy to be ever so grateful to Edwin for saving their hides, and to apologize for bringing this behemoth down on them in the first place. :)

:) :) :)

(*sigh*) Yup, I thought that was coming.

But Edwin interrupted her, and the sneer on his face was aptly matched by the amount of venom he instilled in his voice. “(No doubt my kneecaps are in some danger.) Halfling, here you stand still living thanks to the use of my magic. Question me not.”

Oh, I’d forgotten that line. Nice job creating a scenario to fit the game dialogue.

:) How noble. She’s only just joined, and already she’s thinking of the group.

“For the best of the group?!” Zaerini looked quite livid now, there were red splotches in her cheeks and her eyes were blazing.

Ummmm... Zaerine, ummmm, the inverted knight...the cards... remember? She might be important.

Oh hell, now you’ve done it, Mazzy.

Even preoccupied as he was with casting a healing spell on the prone Minsc, he could tell that she was furious. “The group?! He’s a part of this group – and a valued part at that. But you…” She closed her eyes for a moment, her fists clenched at her sides. “No…” She muttered. “Won’t…let you…make me…not worth it.”

That’s it, Rini! It’s all part of being the leader. Besides, she just a lunatic halfling knight; it’s not worth it. Although it would be fair enough to chew her out for bringing the Bone Golem down on you.

Her eyes opened again, and some of the fire in them had gone down, enough that Anomen no longer feared she would launch herself at Mazzy and tear the halfling’s throat out. “Shut up, Mazzy. Just…shut up. And keep doing it, if you know what’s good for you.” Edwin was at her side now, his arm around her waist, comforting, and he was whispering something into her ear as she leant wearily against him. Anomen was surprised to realize that watching it didn’t hurt. There was no more than a slight wistfulness, but no jealousy any longer.

:D I wonder why that would be...

Actually, it wasn’t entirely bad advice.

“Ah…er…truly?“

“Truly.”

Oh, that’s sweet.

(*grumbles*) I hate this quest.

:)

Was that inscription in the game? I don’t remember it. Nice touch if you added it.

:roll:

Nice chapter! The phrase “wool-gathering” is a little old-fashioned, but I thought it sounded just right coming from Jaheira. The relationship growing between Anomen and Jaheira is sweet. I still can’t quite imagine how it could work, though: Anomen is so callow, while Jaheira is so worldly-wise. Still I’m looking forward to what comes next. I can't explain it, but I kind of like your Mazzy character, insane lunatic that she is. I'm hoping whatever you have in store for her isn’t quite as bad as what you have in store for Ashley. Whatever it is, I'm sure knowing you it will be poetic justice.

--Rick Taylor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com