In this land of make-believe, dead and dry
You're so cold, but you feel alive
Lay your hands on me one last time

Show me how it ends, it's alright
Show me how defenseless you really are
Satisfied and empty inside
That's all right, let's give this another try

“So Cold” Breaking Benjamin

Sarevok carried Anomen into their room, holding the priest gently to his chest. “Everything is going to be fine,” he murmured.

As he set his lover down on the bed, Anomen stirred. “No… no, not here. Take me… to the altar.”

“Ano, you need your sleep. Lie still.”

“I must… I must pray. I cannot find peace until I know… if I am damned.”

“Anomen, do not speak that way.”

“I do not know what Helm will think of this… change. I cannot rest…”

“Very well, if it will make you feel better.” He lifted Anomen up again and carried him to the small shrine that the priest had built at one end of the room. Sarevok lowered him to the floor, and Anomen sighed with relief.

“Help me… kneel, Sarevok. I do not have… the strength.”

The warrior looked down at his battered lover, so reduced from his normal self. “Of course I will help you,” he whispered. He pulled the priest into an upright position, and Anomen knelt as best he could with Sarevok’s support. With Sarevok helping him press his hand to his holy symbol, Anomen moved his lips in silent prayer. Sarevok held him tightly, not wanting to disturb him but at the same time needing to provide whatever comfort he could.

Finally Anomen sagged into Sarevok’s arms. The warrior could not stand the suspense. “Well?”

“Helm… is puzzled by this turn of events. But he has… not cast me out as an undead. He said… my soul is unchanged.”

“Can he do something to help heal you?”

“No… he cannot interfere… in the workings of another… power.”

“Wait… is Helm saying the Jarran is a god?”

“Not a god… but using divine power… Helm cannot risk… angering the Overlord.”

“Can he do anything at all?”

“The Watcher said… I am still his priest… can still serve… that is enough.”

“Well then, you should be able to go to sleep now. Please, Ano, you need to rest or you will not recover.”

“I will try.”

Sarevok began removing Anomen’s armor, then the blood-soaked clothing underneath. Hoping to tease his lover into a smile, he said, “Perhaps I should take advantage of your helplessness,” and chuckled as he pulled Anomen into his arms. He hugged him tightly, then stopped, too stunned to move. “Ano… you… you’re cold.”

“I know,” Anomen whispered. He looked up at Sarevok, and the warrior felt a flash of pain at the despair in the priest’s eyes. He realized that no matter how much he tried to deny it, something was terribly wrong with his lover. Anomen’s body had no more warmth than a corpse.

Fighting down the fears that were rising in him, Sarevok said calmly, “Then I will just have to warm you.” He wrapped a sheet around Anomen, then bellowed, “Cespenar!”

“Loud Master wants something?” the imp squeaked as he flew into the room.

“Draw a hot bath. Now.”

“Yes, sir, quickly, sir.”

Sarevok impatiently waited a few minutes, then carried Anomen to the bathing room. He nearly ran into Cespenar as it was coming out of the door.

The imp squealed at the near-impact. “Loud Master in hurry? Bath ready for Healer Master.”

“Out of my way, creature.” He gently lowered the priest into the water, and began to wash the blood and sweat of the battle from Anomen’s body.

The priest smiled weakly. “And to think… I used to taunt you… about not being truly alive….”

“Hush, Ano. Just relax.”

Sarevok soon realized that this bath was nothing like the playful times they had shared in the past. He had to be careful to hold Anomen in place while he scrubbed, because the priest did not even have the strength to keep himself from sliding under the water.

As he carefully wiped the blood spatters from Anomen’s face, he said, “I am glad that your Helm has not condemned you in any way. That would be a cruel turn of events.”

“Helm… is fair, but I… was afraid I was… undead. Body feels so… strange. Like… badly fitting armor.”

Sarevok pulled his lover from the tub, then carefully dried his skin. He wrapped Anomen in blankets and took him over to the fireplace. He rocked him in his arms as they enjoyed the warmth together. After a time, Sarevok checked and found to his delight that Anomen’s body felt more normal. “See, a good fire does wonders. You will be yourself in no time.”

“I do not think so, love. Everything seems… wrong. My heart is… beating erratically… my breathing is difficult. I think my body… is learning how… it should work.”

“The first thing it needs to remember is how to sleep. It is time for bed.” He lifted Anomen onto the bed and covered him with blankets to hold the heat from the fire. “You will have a good night’s rest, and tomorrow things will be better.”

“Veras… I do not know… if this can last. Jarran’s power… too erratic. Should prepare… for the possibility…”

“No,” Sarevok hissed. “Nothing is going to happen to you. I will not allow it. No goodbyes, no maudlin farewells. You are here with me, and you will stay with me.”

“I… I hope so.”

“I will not let you go, Anomen.” Feeling his throat tighten, he stroked the priest’s cheek. “You are the most precious part of my life, and I will do whatever is necessary to restore you to health. I will not let you leave me again.”

“And what if… I cannot… be healed? What if I… stay like this, weak… and helpless?”

“Then I will care for you for the rest of your life. I will never abandon you, I swear it. Now rest.”

“Veras, could you… hold me? Just for… a little while?”

“Of course.” He slid under the bedclothes and held his lover close.

After a time he heard Anomen mumble sleepily, “Glad… to be with… you, Veras. But wish… could have seen… Moira… and Mother… before… pulled back.”

He stayed there until Anomen’s steady breathing assured him that the priest was asleep. As he quietly slipped out of the room, Sarevok saw that Anomen was smiling for the first time since the battle.

As he had expected, the others were sitting around the dining table, faces twisted with sorrow and worry. Jaheira, Imoen and Valygar looked up at him eagerly as he approached. It was then that he noticed Jarran’s absence.

Valygar said simply, “How is he?” His eyes were red and tired.

“Anomen is sleeping.”

At that moment the doorway into the cavern opened, and Jarran entered, his gait unsteady. He saw Sarevok and his eyes widened. “Sarevok! Is Anomen… he hasn’t….”

“Be easy, brother. He is as comfortable as I can make him. He is sleeping peacefully now that he has had a chance to pray.”

“He has prayed to Helm? Is everything all right between them?”

“Helm has not rejected Ano, but he cannot help him. It would break some sort of godly rule.”

Jarran looked upward. “Helm, I don’t know if you can hear me, but thank you. Did he seem to improve at all, Sarevok?”

“He is no longer at the point of death, but he is very weak. I do not know how long it will take for him to heal.”

“That doesn’t matter. He can rest here for as long as it takes.”

Jaheira said hesitantly, “We… we do not know how long it will be before the other Children move forward with their plans. What will we do if we must fight before he has recovered his strength?”

“We’ll cross that bridge if we come to it. For now, the primary goal of our group is to help restore Anomen to health.”

She gently placed her hand on his arm. “And the solar?”

Jarran gave her a small smile. “I received the best news I have had in a long time. I learned that I am indeed the Child of the prophecy, but that it doesn’t mean what we thought it did.”

“I do not understand.”

“I exist to stop the other Children, to defeat their plans. All the ugly events that were foretold… they happen if I fail. I don’t cause them myself.”

Sarevok said, “That is indeed fortunate, brother. If you do not mind, I wish to return to Anomen. I feel he should not be left alone.”

“Of course. Let Jaheira know if you need her.”

The warrior slipped quietly into the darkened chamber, not wanting to disturb the priest. He gathered the bloody clothing from the floor and dumped them into the laundry bin for Cespenar to deal with.

Taking care to make as little noise as possible, he assembled the pieces of Anomen’s plate mail. He went to their supplies and returned with a handful of polishing clothes. As carefully as he could, he cleaned Anomen’s armor. When he was finished, the armor was nowhere near its usual highly polished condition, but it was free of dirt and blood. He placed each bit of metal in its place on the rack, then carried a chair to the side of the bed.

He spent many long minutes watching the slow, shallow rise and fall of Anomen’s breathing. For a moment, it seemed to stop, and Sarevok found himself holding his own breath until he saw Anomen’s chest move once more.

His hand went up to clasp the medallion that hung by a chain from his neck. As he gripped it so tightly that the sapphire was in danger of being wrenched from its setting, Sarevok put his head down on the bed and silently wept.

#2 Guest_Kulyok_*

Posted 27 February 2005 - 07:50 PM

Sarevok carried Anomen into their room, holding the priest gently to his chest. “Everything is going to be fine,” he murmured.

We say that too often.. :(

As he set his lover down on the bed, Anomen stirred. “No… no, not here. Take me… to the altar.”

If Ano was, that would be such a fundamental change, wouldn't he feel it ?

He is mornally so proud... helplessness alone must be hell for him.

The warrior looked down at his battered lover, so reduced from his normal self. “Of course I will help you,” he whispered. He pulled the priest into an upright position, and Anomen knelt as best he could with Sarevok’s support. With Sarevok helping him press his hand to his holy symbol, Anomen moved his lips in silent prayer. Sarevok held him tightly, not wanting to disturb him but at the same time needing to provide whatever comfort he could. .

Somehow, that feels right. And it doesn't look as if Sarevok interferes in their dialogue.

“Not a god… but using divine power… Helm cannot risk… angering the Overlord.”.

But surely Ao would understand Helm caring for one of his own ?

“I know,” Anomen whispered. He looked up at Sarevok, and the warrior felt a flash of pain at the despair in the priest’s eyes. He realized that no matter how much he tried to deny it, something was terribly wrong with his lover. Anomen’s body had no more warmth than a corpse.

Oh, hope he won't wind up like the Nameless one. :twisted:

“Loud Master wants something?” the imp squeaked as he flew into the room. .

I wonder how Cespenar would call the rest of NPC in your story. :)

The priest smiled weakly. “And to think… I used to taunt you… about not being truly alive….”

“Hush, Ano. Just relax.” .

A fine example of dark humor. Didn't even think of it myself... A bitter irony, that one is.

“Helm… is fair, but I… was afraid I was… undead. Body feels so… strange. Like… badly fitting armor.” .

Yes, Jarran is not quite a deity yet, but he feels really close. Maybe after Sendai his powers would increase ?

“Veras… I do not know… if this can last. Jarran’s power… too erratic. Should prepare… for the possibility…”

“No,” Sarevok hissed. “Nothing is going to happen to you. I will not allow it. No goodbyes, no maudlin farewells. You are here with me, and you will stay with me.”

“I… I hope so.”.

It's good no one but Sarevok is with him. Death likes two witnesses... or more. :(

“He has prayed to Helm? Is everything all right between them?”.”.

*can't help giggling* Looks as if they were a married couple, Ano and Helm.

Jaheira said hesitantly, “We… we do not know how long it will be before the other Children move forward with their plans. What will we do if we must fight before he has recovered his strength?” ?”.”.

Well, a cleric is no longer necessary at this point of the game.

Jarran gave her a small smile. “I received the best news I have had in a long time. I learned that I am indeed the Child of the prophecy, but that it doesn’t mean what we thought it did.”

“I do not understand.”

“I exist to stop the other Children, to defeat their plans. All the ugly events that were foretold… they happen if I fail. I don’t cause them myself.” .

Good news for Jae :)

He spent many long minutes watching the slow, shallow rise and fall of Anomen’s breathing. For a moment, it seemed to stop, and Sarevok found himself holding his own breath until he saw Anomen’s chest move once more. .

That is scary... Walking into the room, and you don't know whether if he is alive or dead yet. :cry:

His hand went up to clasp the medallion that hung by a chain from his neck. As he gripped it so tightly that the sapphire was in danger of being wrenched from its setting, Sarevok put his head down on the bed and silently wept.

“Everything is going to be fine, Veras”.

#3 Arcalian

Posted 27 February 2005 - 09:46 PM

"Someday I will be the most powerful Jedi ever. I promise you! I will even learn to stop people from dying!" --Anakin Skywalker, Star Wars: Attack of the Clones

But somehow, I don't think Jarran wants to have that power now. :twisted:
The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

#4 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 27 February 2005 - 10:22 PM

We say that too often.. :lol:

Even when we know it isn't true.

If Ano was, that would be such a fundamental change, wouldn't he feel it ?

Possibly, if he was normal otherwise. But right now nothing feels as it should, so he isn't trusting his own senses.

He is mornally so proud... helplessness alone must be hell for him.

And it is going to be worse as it sinks in.

The warrior looked down at his battered lover, so reduced from his normal self. “Of course I will help you,” he whispered. He pulled the priest into an upright position, and Anomen knelt as best he could with Sarevok’s support. With Sarevok helping him press his hand to his holy symbol, Anomen moved his lips in silent prayer. Sarevok held him tightly, not wanting to disturb him but at the same time needing to provide whatever comfort he could. .

Somehow, that feels right. And it doesn't look as if Sarevok interferes in their dialogue.

No, he didn't. But Anomen felt he should pray 'properly', and there was no way he could do it without Sarevok's help.

“Not a god… but using divine power… Helm cannot risk… angering the Overlord.”.

But surely Ao would understand Helm caring for one of his own ?

But Helm healing Anomen would mean 'overriding' what Jarran did, which in celestial terms would be a declaration of war.

Oh, hope he won't wind up like the Nameless one. :)

No, I have other plans. :wink:

I wonder how Cespenar would call the rest of NPC in your story. :wink:

Oh, he's used names for them before. Besides Loud Master and Healer Master, there is Quiet Master (Valygar), Wizard Master (Imoen) and Mistress Master (Jaheira). When Arenthis came to the stronghold, he was Sunny Master.

“Hush, Ano. Just relax.”

A fine example of dark humor. Didn't even think of it myself... A bitter irony, that one is.

But one that Anomen can clearly see.

“Helm… is fair, but I… was afraid I was… undead. Body feels so… strange. Like… badly fitting armor.” .

Yes, Jarran is not quite a deity yet, but he feels really close. Maybe after Sendai his powers would increase ?

You'll have to wait for that one.

“I… I hope so.”

It's good no one but Sarevok is with him. Death likes two witnesses... or more. :D

It's a pity that isn't true. It's a shame when people die alone.

“He has prayed to Helm? Is everything all right between them?”

*can't help giggling* Looks as if they were a married couple, Ano and Helm.

:D

Jaheira said hesitantly, “We… we do not know how long it will be before the other Children move forward with their plans. What will we do if we must fight before he has recovered his strength?”

Well, a cleric is no longer necessary at this point of the game.

I wouldn't say that. There are only so many healing potions in the game. Not to mention, Anomen is a tank in his own right.

“I do not understand.”

“I exist to stop the other Children, to defeat their plans. All the ugly events that were foretold… they happen if I fail. I don’t cause them myself.”

Good news for Jae :wink:

Hey, she just watched him put a corpse back together. She's not going to be soothed any time soon.

He spent many long minutes watching the slow, shallow rise and fall of Anomen’s breathing. For a moment, it seemed to stop, and Sarevok found himself holding his own breath until he saw Anomen’s chest move once more.

That is scary... Walking into the room, and you don't know whether if he is alive or dead yet. :)

Poor Sarevok can't help but worry.

“Everything is going to be fine, Veras”.

We'll see.

#5 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 27 February 2005 - 10:27 PM

"Someday I will be the most powerful Jedi ever. I promise you! I will even learn to stop people from dying!" --Anakin Skywalker, Star Wars: Attack of the Clones

But somehow, I don't think Jarran wants to have that power now. :)

Jarran: I never did. I allowed my feelings to overrule my sense, and Anomen is suffering the consequences.

#6 Guest_Oryx_*

Posted 02 March 2005 - 12:38 AM

*snerk*

As he carefully wiped the blood spatters from Anomen’s face, he said, “I am glad that your Helm has not condemned you in any way. That would be a cruel turn of events.”

“Helm… is fair, but I… was afraid I was… undead. Body feels so… strange. Like… badly fitting armor.”

ah, nice analogy!

:lol:

#7 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 02 March 2005 - 01:30 AM

*snerk*

Cespenar: Laugh at the way I talk do you?

ah, nice analogy!

Thankee!

:lol:

This isn't going to be easy for any of them.

#8 Laufey

Posted 12 March 2005 - 08:40 PM

*nods* Oh yes, I agree with this. Anomen couldn't possibly rest before he knew for sure.

The warrior looked down at his battered lover, so reduced from his normal self. “Of course I will help you,” he whispered. He pulled the priest into an upright position, and Anomen knelt as best he could with Sarevok’s support. With Sarevok helping him press his hand to his holy symbol, Anomen moved his lips in silent prayer. Sarevok held him tightly, not wanting to disturb him but at the same time needing to provide whatever comfort he could.

It's so very sad to see a strong person being so weak and helpless. 8)

Sarevok began removing Anomen’s armor, then the blood-soaked clothing underneath. Hoping to tease his lover into a smile, he said, “Perhaps I should take advantage of your helplessness,” and chuckled as he pulled Anomen into his arms. He hugged him tightly, then stopped, too stunned to move. “Ano… you… you’re cold.”

Awww... :twisted:

The imp squealed at the near-impact. “Loud Master in hurry? Bath ready for Healer Master.”

Loud Master...suits him well. :wink:

Yes, I recalled that - talk about irony.

“I do not think so, love. Everything seems… wrong. My heart is… beating erratically… my breathing is difficult. I think my body… is learning how… it should work.”

I hope it learns swiftly...otherwise, he won't last long.

He stayed there until Anomen’s steady breathing assured him that the priest was asleep. As he quietly slipped out of the room, Sarevok saw that Anomen was smiling for the first time since the battle.

Very sweet. :twisted:

*big hugs for poor Sarevok and Anomen* :wink:
Rogues do it from behind.

#9 Guest_Silrana_*

Posted 13 March 2005 - 02:23 AM

*nods* Oh yes, I agree with this. Anomen couldn't possibly rest before he knew for sure.

It would have to be the first thing he would think of.

It's so very sad to see a strong person being so weak and helpless. :twisted:

Especially someone really athletic and proud of his physical abilities like Anomen.

Awww... :shock:

Ano is seriously messed up.

Loud Master...suits him well. :shock:

Hehehe, Cespenar has called him that before, but I thought it fit him. :shock:

Yes, I recalled that - talk about irony.

A little irony is good for the blood...

I hope it learns swiftly...otherwise, he won't last long.

At least it's working at the moment.

Very sweet. :shock:

If anyone needed some comforting, it was Anomen.

*big hugs for poor Sarevok and Anomen* :shock:

Things certainly aren't easy for them right now.

Thanks for commenting!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com