A Space Odyssey - Sled Ride

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 12 December 2004 - 06:01 AM

Notebread: Just a little something the quiz inspired, introducing an ASO Universe character who has yet to make his appearance but has been kicking around in my head for some time now. He may be making more appearances, but for now, this is all he's in.

Historian's Note: The events of Sled Ride take place 8 years before the events of ASO and three months after the events of The Crash

0935 Hours
New Corto System
GASV Exeter
B Deck

Checking his chrono, he saw he was officially five minutes late for his meeting. Five minutes was as long as he was willing to push any flag officer’s patience. He’d made a career out of driving his superior officers crazy, honed his skill to a fine art, but there was only so far you could push someone with a flag. They had a way of making life much more difficult than it needed to be.

Pulling out a pocket mirror, he gave himself one last once over. He carefully pushed a few loose strands of golden hair behind the graceful points of his ears, making sure his hair was perfectly placed. Then he checked his uniform to assure himself it expressed just the right amount of professional indifference. Satisfied with the look, he snapped the mirror shut and strode the last few meters to the Battle Group’s commander office and pressed the announcement button.

The door slid open, revealing a small, tidy room that served as the Commodore’s waiting room and the office for his aide. He strode in and up to the aide’s desk. The aide was a man, so was of no interest to him. Without really looking at him, he stated, “Lieutenant Commander Tyrion Saerdin to see Commodore Firecam as per his orders. I have an appointment, so if you could be so kind to let him know I’m here, that would be great. Oh, and while your at it, get me a cup of nearcaf.”

The aide looked up at him and fired off a salute. Pleasantly, he replied, “One moment, sir.” The young man quickly turned his attention to the viewscreen on his desk. Voice never losing that pleasant edge, he continued, “Yes, sir, you had an appointment at 0930 hours. However, it is currently 0936 hours. You are 6 minutes late.”

Slightly amused at the aide’s very pleasant rebuke, he replied, “I am aware of that, Lieutenant…”

“Varnas, sir,” replied the aide quickly.

“Lieutenant Varnas. However, I had other duties which I had to attend to, which has made me regrettably tardy. Now, if you’ll just announce me to the Commodore..”

“Sir, I would be more than happy to. However, the Commodore is currently in conference and cannot be disturbed. So, if you’ll just take a seat and wait, I’m sure it won’t be long.”

“Look, lieutenant, I don’t have all day to sit around. I have other duties.”

“As does the Commodore, Commander. I’m sure the wait won’t be too long,” Lieutenant Varnas replied.

The tone was just right for the role of officious little aide, but as Tyrion studied the pleasantly smiling lieutenant, he noticed something. It was the smile. He expected it to be fake and insincere, just an affectation to shut him up. But it wasn’t. He could tell from the way the aide’s eyes held his. What he saw wasn’t annoyance but amusement. The lieutenant was playing with him, much like a cat with its prey.

He was no one’s fool and he intended to make sure this officious twit knew that.

“The Commodore isn’t in conference, is he?” asked Tyrion flatly, glaring at Varnas as he leaned in over the aide’s desk. “I think you’re just trying to get your jollies off by screwing with me and getting me in trouble with your boss.”

The lieutenant leaned forward, face only a few centimeters from Tyrion’s. The smile widened. “And if that is true?”

Tyrion fixed the lieutenant with one of his best stares, the kind had sent many an officious little bureaucrat scuttling for a corner. “Let me put it into simple words, Lieutenant. I don’t appreciate being screwed around with. And I make sure that those people who try are very unhappy about the results,” replied Tyrion, his voice as frosty as a comet’s tail.

“Oh. I see,” Varnas replied gravely. His voice then changed. Now it dripped with insolence. “Now, stop me if I’m wrong, but is this part where I’m supposed to be intimidated by the big, bad flyboy?”

This was not exactly how this exchange was supposed to go. As he stared at the hard brown eyes of the lieutenant in front of him, he realized something. He hadn’t intimidated the aide at all. In fact, he only seemed to be amusing him more. Deciding that this was one battle he couldn’t win, he deadpanned, “Yes, Lieutenant, this is the part where you’re supposed to curl up into a ball and cry for mommy.”

“Really?” Varnas snapped his fingers. “See, I had a feeling that was the effect you were going for, but I couldn’t be sure, sir.”

“I’m sure Lieutenant.” This was just not his day.

“I could stammer out a few apologies, or maybe even tremble a little if it would make you feel better.”

“No, that’s fine, Lieutenant. Just let me know when the Commodore is ready,” he sighed, dropping into one of the chairs.

“Of course, sir. One moment.” Never taking his eyes or his smile off of Tyrion, the aide punched the intercom button. “Admiral, I have a Commander Saerdin to see you.”

“Very well. Send him in,” came the reply.

Thoroughly annoyed, Tyrion grumbled, “You have your fun, Lieutenant?”

“No, sir. But it did brighten my day just a little.”

Tyrion shot him a glance as he pushed himself out of the chair and strode across the office. That young lieutenant might be tough, but Tyrion knew enough how to take such men down. That thought brought a smile to his face as he walked into the Commodore’s office proper.

The office itself was spartan, a few plaques on the walls, some obvious picture frames on the desk, but it lacked the ostentatiousness of the last battle group commander. Not that he minded, the last one had been an idiot. As he studied the graying man in the plush leather chair, he speculated about this one.

The Commodore looked up and Tyrion quickly saluted. “Lieutenant Commander Tyrion Saerdin reporting as ordered, sir.”

“You are late, Commander,” replied the Commodore as he returned the salute.

“Yes sir.” Tyrion even managed his usual grin.

One eyebrow arched. “I see. I suggest you do not make a habit out of it, Commander.”

“Of course, sir. I’ll keep that in mind.” The reply was automatic but he couldn’t help but be disappointed that the Commodore hadn’t risen to the bait.

The eyebrow stayed arched. “I’m sure you will Commander. Now, I’m sure you have places you’d rather be than in my office, so let us get to the heart of the matter.”

“Of course sir.”

The Commodore punched a few keys on his desk panel and the screen on the port side of the room flared to life. A slowly rotating blue green ball appeared, followed by a large number of blue and red indicators. There were far more red than blue.

The Commodore got up from his chair and strode purposefully over to the screen. “Commander, what you are seeing is codeword classified. Code word is Sledride. The planet on the screen is Chebrash III, currently under siege by a Imperium battle group. Alliance space forces have been driven off, but elements of navy and army units are still in control of a certain key facility in this mountain range.”

As he spoke, a section of the planetary surface magnified and filled the screen. A strong pocket of blue appeared in the southern end. A pocket surrounded by fields of red.

“Sir, if it is so important, why haven’t they just blown it to kingdom come? Or used nukes on the troops?”

“The Imperium wants to take it intact, Commander. And they are getting close to succeeding. Our last communication indicated that the situation is growing worse.”

“Alright, sir. That would explain the extra fleet activity of late, but why are you telling me?”

“Because, Commander, I was told you’re the best pilot in the battle group, perhaps one of the best in the fleet.”

“That is true sir, but I still don’t see what that has to do with me,”

The eyebrow rose again. “And you’re as cocky as your commander said too.”

“Yes sir,” replied Tyrion proudly.

The Commodore snorted. “The reason I called you here is that we’re preparing a counteroffensive to retake the system. And we want to coordinate our attacks with the forces on the ground. So we need to get a message to them and their last message indicated that Imperium forces were close to overrunning their last long range comm receiver.”

Tyrion picked up on what the Commodore was asking. Sounded like fun. Smiling at the senior officer, he replied, “So, let me guess, sir. You want me and my Sunrider to drop into enemy controlled space, burst a message and get out before getting blown to hell? Piece of cake.”

The Commodore smiled. “Excellent deduction, but wrong. We can’t trust that the burst transmission will get through. If it is intercepted or doesn’t arrive, the Imperium might overrun or destroy the base before we can punch through the defenses. So we’re going to need to send a messenger.”

Tyrion blinked. Getting in and out was going to be nearly impossible. This was bloody insane. “Sir, you want me to land my Sunrider on the surface? No offense sir, but that’s insane. I mean I’ll do it, but it’s definitely going to be hairy.”

“Commander, once again, you show great deductive ability. However, once again, you’ve failed to wait for all the facts before using that skill,” rebuked the Commodore. “The plan is this. You will lead an Alpha strike team of four Sunriders to halt the battlestation construction going on in orbit.” As he spoke, the display dialed out to show a large station under construction. “Each Sunrider will be armed with two Class V torpedoes. Your three wingmates will have two live ones. You will only have one. The other will be a specially modified torpedo sled. This one’s target will be in the mountain range I already showed you. Therefore a serious threat is eliminated and our messenger inserted while the defense forces are busy with you.”

Tyrion was silent for a moment as he studied the display and processed the mission design. There was a certain diabolical genius in the plan. It seemed only marginally survivable at best but the challenge of it was very attractive. A slow smile spread across his face. “With a few modifications, it can be done. And I know three other pilots crazy enough to try it and good enough to succeed.”

“Good. I wish that there were an easier way, but considering the stakes, this is our best option.”

“I understand sir, but a question if I may?”

“Of course, Commander.”

“Where are you going to find someone with enough loose screws to pilot the sled?”

“You’ve already met him, Commander. He’s the architect of this caper,” replied the Commodore with a smile.

“Who is that?” asked a now surprised Tyrion.

“That would be me, sir,” came a third voice.

Tyrion whirled around to see the Commodore’s aide, Lieutenant Varnas standing there with a smug grin on his face. Unable to keep the incredulity out of his voice, he gasped, “You? But you’re just an aide!”

Varnas’s smile widened. “Currently, yes.”

An amused grin cracked the Commodore face as he added, “Lieutenant Varnas is more than qualified for this aspect of the mission.”

“How does flying a desk qualify you for this?”

“It doesn’t Commander,” replied the Commodore. “But being a former Blackguard does.”

Tyrion boggled. Shaking his head, he stared at the grinning lieutenant. “You mean I tried to stare down a Blackguard? No wonder it didn’t work.”

Varnas simply smiled.

“Now that this hilarity is out of the way, shall we go over the specifics of mission profile again?” interjected the Commodore, trying to keep the focus on the task at hand.

“Of course sir,” replied Tyrion, shaking his head at how weird the day had already gotten.

------

1930 Hours
New Corto System
GASV Exeter
Hangar Bay 2

Tyrion lounged next to the port wing of his Sunrider, watching the flight techs check the last of the modifications that was transforming a Mark V torpedo into a torpedo sled. It was fascinating watching the two techs, led by Lieutenant Varnas gut the seven meter torpedo of its warhead and prepare it to be a fighter mounted re entry vehicle.

“I be reading all systems green, sir,” spoke up the lead tech, a dour faced Khazadan named Bjarni Steelsplitter.

“Good. Good. I’m getting the same thing,” Varnas replied from inside the actual sled itself where he was working on the flight controls. “Let’s do one last round of tests, just to be sure.”

“Oy! We be done three levels of tests already, sir. Everything be checkin out, environmental, reentry, chutes, everythin. Me people do good work.”

Tyrion allowed himself a little smile. Chief Steelsplitter’s temper was famous. If Varnas wasn’t careful, this could turn out to be quite interesting.

“Chief, I know that, why do you think I asked you to do the work? But since I’m stuck with flyboy over there to actually get me there, I want to be extra sure this going to work. I really don’t want to end up as meat paste on some godforsaken mountain.”

Instead of grumbling, the Khazadan tech chuckled. “Aye. You do be in tough situation.” Waving to the rest of the team, he ordered, “Alright, you lollygaggers, one last series of tests then we’re goin ta prep for launch.”

As two other techs muscled over one of the testing consoles, Tyrion finally got Varnas’s attention. He watched as the former Blackguard unfolded himself from the sled cockpit and walked over to the Sunrider. Tyrion cocked an eyebrow and gestured towards the torpedo, “So, your actually going to ride in that thing?”

Varnas simply shrugged. “Yeah.”

“You know your completely mad, don’t you?”

“Certifiable,” replied Varnas with a grin.

Tyrion shook his head. “Alright, nutjob, I want to introduce you to the rest of the team. Follow me.”

The two men walked away from the Sunrider and its torpedo sled and over to a small knot of three figures in flight suits. The first was human, with swarthy skin and close shorn hair. He grinned and waved as they walked over. The other two were Seldarians like Tyrion. The first was a golden skinned woman with coppery hair and a soft smile and the other was pale with hard eyes and nearly purple hair.

Tyrion quickly handled the introductions. He nodded to each in turn as he went around the semicircle. “The first is Lieutenant Rob “Jackhammer” Wilcox. He’ll be flying Echo Two”

Jackhammer nodded and extended a hand. “Glad to meet ya.”

“Next is Lieutenant Ayela “Sirocco” T’Dela. She’ll be piloting Echo Three.”

Sirocco nodded slightly.

“The next is Lieutenant Dek “Wizard” Faerath. He’ll be Echo Four.”

Wizard simply cocked an eyebrow. “Indeed.”

“And finally, Echo Squad, I’d like you to meet our messenger boy, Lieutenant Varnas. He’ll be slapped in the sled and will be Echo Prime.”

Jackhammer gave him a speculative look. “So, you’re the guy mad enough to lock yourself inside a Class V torp and try and land it?”

Varnas smiled. “Yup. And I’m not trying to land it. I get the torpedo into the atmosphere and then blow free of the casing. My sled fires off a few chutes and then I guide it down.”

“Close enough,” asserted Jackhammer. “But I still think you’re a mad man.”

Tyrion snapped his fingers at the words. “I’ve been trying to come up with your call sign Varnas, and thanks to Jackhammer here, I’ve got it. We’ll call you Mad Man.”

Jackhammer chuckled and Sirocco laughed gently while Wizard simply looked amused. Varnas himself didn’t seem too displeased either. “Well, why not? I am crazy, so might as well have that as a handle.”

“He even likes it!” laughed Tyrion. He clapped him on the back and proclaimed. “That makes it official. Welcome to Echo Squad, Mad Man.”

Jackhammer quickly joined in the backslapping while Sirocco and Wizard offered more restrained congratulations. Tyrion wrapped an arm around the newly dubbed Mad Man and another around Sirocco’s shapely shoulders. A huge smile split his face. “Well team, time to celebrate. We’ve got twelve hours til we launch and I’ve got a couple of bottles of ’23 Firewine in quarters. It’d be a shame to die and leave them to someone else.”

The other four quickly agreed and the newly minted Echo Squad headed for the exit to the hanger bay.

1420 Hours Next Day
In Transit to Chebrash System

“Echo Group, this is Casanova. Ten minutes to real space,” called out Tyrion as he studied the overhead displays from his Sunrider’s cockpit.

“Jackhammer, acknowledged,” fired off Echo Two.

“Sirocco, acknowledged,” Echo Three replied softly.

“Wizard, acknowledged,” proclaimed Echo Four.

“Mad Man, acknowledged,” chuckled Echo Prime.

Tyrion checked their mission plan once more and shook his head. He’d be lucky if he got out of this one alive, never mind the three other pilots flying in tight formation with him. And if their chances were slim, the survival chances of Echo Prime, the man riding on the belly of his fighter, were even slimmer.

Switching to the fighter’s internal comms, Tyrion asked, “How you doing down there, Mad Man?”

“Couldn’t be better, Casanova. The accommodations are incredibly spacious and the in flight entertainment is first rate,” sassed back Echo Prime’s occupant.

Tyrion couldn’t help but laugh. “You know Varnas, you really are crazy.”

“Why?” came the innocent reply. Tyrion could see the man’s smirk even without the video feed.

“Oh I don’t know. Maybe volunteering to be stuffed inside a torpedo casing and fired at a planet just to deliver the mail?” Tyrion replied sarcastically.

“Oh this? Shit, Casanova, I’ve done far crazier things than this.”

Tyrion through about that statement and compared it to what he’d read in the man’s file. “You know, you’re probably right.”

“Damn smacky.”

“You know, if I didn’t know better, I’d think you were enjoying this.”

“Me?”

“No, the other dusthead in the torpedo.”

“Hey, it beats paperwork.”

Tyrion laughed. “True enough.”

Silence crackled over the comms for a moment that stretched to minutes. Finally Tyrion broke the silence again. “Hey Varnas.”

“Yeah, Saerdin?”

“You worried?”

“Me? Nah. I’ve got the easy part. I just kinda lie here and hope you don’t manage to fly into a cruiser or shoot me into the sun.”

Tyrion had been around the block to sense bravado. “No, I mean that seriously Varnas.”

“So do I,” replied Varnas, his voice lacking the jubilant tone it had just had. “But really, there isn’t all that much to worry about. Either you get through and the computer guides me down til I pop my chute or it doesn’t and I go boom. Worrying about it isn’t going to a damn thing.”

“Fair enough.” Tyrion shrugged. While Varnas had a point, he just couldn’t imagine being quite that calm about it.

As if sensing the pilot’s disquiet, Varnas added, “Plus, this is fun!”

“Fun? Being strapped into a torpedo and shot at a planet on the off chance you don’t get blown to hell?”

“Hell yeah,” laughed Varnas. “Why do you think I joined the Guards?”

“Son, if this is your idea of fun, the service has seriously frelled with your brain,” fired back Tyrion.

“Oh come on, flyboy. Danger, impossible odds, a chance to pit your skill against theirs? I know you feel that juice. Why else would you be flying this mission?”

Tyrion thought about his answer for a moment. The young adrenaline junkie was right in some ways. He loved the thrill, the feel of a starfighter as he threw it into combat and smacked around lesser pilots. But he didn’t live for that excitement only. Excitement like the woman flying on his port wing. A slow smile slid across his face as he remember a few more of those kind of missions. “Mad Man,” he replied. “What you’re talking about is exciting. But I have a much different idea of fun.”

“Oh yeah?”

“Yeah. My idea of fun involves a pleasure planet, lots of fine spirits and even more fine and friendly women. And very little clothing.”

“That does sound pretty good.”

Tyrion checked the chrono on his HUD. Two minutes to realspace. “Well, Mad Man, you survive this and we’ll hit one of those of planets and I’ll show you how much fun it is. Deal?”

“Deal. But your buying.”

“Fine,” laughed Tyrion. “Now buckle up, because it’s about to get bumpy!”

Tyrion flexed his fingers to loosen them before wrapping them around the flight controls. Then he ran one last check of his systems, priming the shield and weapon generators. Once everything read green, he flipped back to intership. “Casanova to Echo Squad, one minute to realspace. Stay tight and follow me in. Fire as soon as your in optimum range then break and jump for the rendezvous as soon as you can. Understood?”

Four quick acknowledgements were issued. Tyrion took a deep breath and said, “Casanova to squad. Prepare to engage. On my mark.” Tyrion watched the timer count down. “3. 2. 1. MARK.”

The Sunrider shuddered as the Tyrion deactivated the Mectrix field. Colors flared inside and outside the cockpit as the residual energy from the field generators crackled along the delta shaped crafted and threat indicators flashed to life on the scopes. Tyrion smiled while he powered up shields and weapons and picked his attack vector through the encirclement forces.

Whooping as he threw the fighter into a steep dive, he sliced his way through the still stunned Imperium forces. He checked his sensor displays and saw his wingmates still in tight and the Imperium starfighters and point defenses only starting to scramble.

Looming before him was the incomplete Imperium battlestation, the mission’s secondary target. Workpods and shuttles began to scatter as the four silver deltas screamed towards the construction site. They were nearly in firing range before the first shots were fired, a few blasts from the point defense weapons of a nearby destroyer with an alert enough crew. But those shots were wide. The four would make it.

Tyrion locked the targeting system on, the first torpedo acquiring the station and the second its surface target. A high ping sounded as both of the weapon’s computers confirmed lock on. Finger caressing the firing stud, Tyrion fired off one last comment. “Godspeed Mad Man.”

“Don’t get your ass shot off Casanova.”

“Casanova, firing two!” he shouted over the comms, pressing the firing stud. Two streaks of blue fire leapt from the hardpoints beneath his wings. Six other arrows flared to life on his sensor display as the others called off their own shots.

Torpedoes away, Tyrion gave his second order. “Casanova to Echo Squad. Time to bug out. Max speed, engage only to escape.”

With skill and precision, the four Sunriders banked hard and kicked emergency power to their thrusters. The fire was a lot thicker now as the Imperium fleet worked through shock into righteous fury. Particle beams and lasers flashed green and red as enemy fighters and capital ships tried to enact penance on the attacking craft. Still, the pilots of Echo Squad dodged and jinked their way through the forest of energy beams and fired a few of their own as they tried to escape.

The dagger like shapes of two Imperium Cordoba heavy fighters darted out from behind the bulk of a cruiser. A stream of lethal depleted uranium streamed from the fighters’ wing mounted shredder cannons, hunting for the lighter and faster Alliance Sunriders. Tyrion jerked his fighter to port to avoid the lash of one of them, then swung around to bring his craft’s twin disruptors to bear. Lances of coherent energy leapt from the forward turret and sliced into the lead Cordoba. Two other lances from Sirocco joined his and the Imperium craft disintegrated under the assault.

The other Imperium Cordoba got in a lucky shot just before Jackhammer blew it out of the sky. Two of its missiles slamming into port side of Wizard’s Sunrider. His shields flared yellow and red under the assault and the fighter pinwheeled as plasma vented from a rent in the hull. Wizard’s voice crackled on the comms, proud and unafraid. “Casanova, I regret to inform you I will not be accompanying you home. That hit blew out my Mectrix drive. I’ll cover your rear, now get out of here.”

“Good luck Wizard,” Tyrion replied, grieving for his friend. Knowing there was little hope, he added, “If you can, get to the surface and head for the mountains.”

Wizard’s response was drowned out by the electromagnetic backwash of seven Class V torpedoes striking the almost complete battlestation. Behind the fleeing Sunriders a new, short lived star flared to life as station exploded in the night. One of the destroyers, too close to the station was swallowed by the blast wave, fires bursting from the dying ship as she tumbled out of control.

As this second sun faded, the remaining three fighters burst through the Imperium cordon. Now free, Tyrion punched in the coordinates for the rendezvous into the navicomp and primed the Mectrix drive for the jump to hyperspace. As he waited for the calculations to complete, Tyrion looked back over his shoulder and watched the flaming ball that had been the station burn itself out.

If Mad Man had made it through, his sled would be freefalling through Chebrash’s atmosphere right now. There was no way to tell if he had, but considering that it had cost him the life of a friend, he prayed he did. The light on the navicomp flashed green and Tyrion activated the Mectrix drive. As the fighter made the jump, he said, “Good luck Mad Man, you’ll need it.”

And then with a flash of light, the three remaining fighters from Echo Squad vanished into the abyss.

#2 Guest_Userunfriendly_*

Posted 12 December 2004 - 08:45 AM

Notebread: Just a little something the quiz inspired, introducing an ASO Universe character who has yet to make his appearance but has been kicking around in my head for some time now. He may be making more appearances, but for now, this is all he's in.

I can just see him and doc aerie...he's gotta be haer inspired, right?

Checking his chrono, he saw he was officially five minutes late for his meeting. Five minutes was as long as he was willing to push any flag officer’s patience. He’d made a career out of driving his superior officers crazy, honed his skill to a fine art, but there was only so far you could push someone with a flag. They had a way of making life much more difficult than it needed to be.

casanova: CPO, I'm here to report to latrine cleanup duty.
chief petty officer: ah yes, the famous commander casanova...you know, we think well of you in maintainence, sir.
casanova: thank you, CPO. Now where is my mop?
CPO: why here, sir. (pulls out a toothbrush, with a toothy grin)
casanova: well, that's what you get for a ultra low speed pass over an admiral's barge...
CPO: and having the sonic boom knock him overboard, and the spray drenching the 20 thousand credit dress on the admiral's wife, and the admiral's daughter being so startled she jumped into the caviar buffet, and popping completely out of her cocktail dress...
casanova and the CPO in a chorus: and doing all that in the regatta held in honor of the alliance senator on a fact finding junket...
CPO: and of course the senator couldn't stop laughing, i think that's what pissed the admiral off the most...
casanova: yeah, admiral ramsbottom hates being laughed at..

The tone was just right for the role of officious little aide, but as Tyrion studied the pleasantly smiling lieutenant, he noticed something. It was the smile. He expected it to be fake and insincere, just an affectation to shut him up. But it wasn’t. He could tell from the way the aide’s eyes held his. What he saw wasn’t annoyance but amusement. The lieutenant was playing with him, much like a cat with its prey.

blackout: hey, you spend the last 3 hours reading and annotating for the commodore "a report on battle group waste reclaimation survey" and you'd be happy for some fun too...

Tyrion fixed the lieutenant with one of his best stares, the kind had sent many an officious little bureaucrat scuttling for a corner. “Let me put it into simple words, Lieutenant. I don’t appreciate being screwed around with. And I make sure that those people who try are very unhappy about the results,” replied Tyrion, his voice as frosty as a comet’s tail.

precisely the wrong person to say something like that too... :D

This was not exactly how this exchange was supposed to go. As he stared at the hard brown eyes of the lieutenant in front of him, he realized something. He hadn’t intimidated the aide at all. In fact, he only seemed to be amusing him more. Deciding that this was one battle he couldn’t win, he deadpanned, “Yes, Lieutenant, this is the part where you’re supposed to curl up into a ball and cry for mommy.”

blackout: mommy...there, happy commander? (smirk)

back to the report...

The eyebrow stayed arched. “I’m sure you will Commander. Now, I’m sure you have places you’d rather be than in my office, so let us get to the heart of the matter.”

he knows that the good ones come with attitude...besides, he can absolutely take him, off duty...fleet champ, walterweight division back when he was younger, and had less grey in his hair...

“Commander, once again, you show great deductive ability. However, once again, you’ve failed to wait for all the facts before using that skill,” rebuked the Commodore. “The plan is this. You will lead an Alpha strike team of four Sunriders to halt the battlestation construction going on in orbit.” As he spoke, the display dialed out to show a large station under construction. “Each Sunrider will be armed with two Class V torpedoes. Your three wingmates will have two live ones. You will only have one. The other will be a specially modified torpedo sled. This one’s target will be in the mountain range I already showed you. Therefore a serious threat is eliminated and our messenger inserted while the defense forces are busy with you.”

this plan must have been thought up by a Jansen... :D :P :)

“Where are you going to find someone with enough loose screws to pilot the sled?”

or enough booze to pour into the poor sod to shoehorn him into the torp?

babydoll: actually all it takes is one...a Dolhmani Thunderbanger...

commodore firecam: thash righhht...wheresh that frelling sled? I wanna go for a ride...wheeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

blackout: sir, its time to go beddy bye... :)

well, a desk has about the same aerodynamics of a mark V torp in atmosphere...

Tyrion boggled. Shaking his head, he stared at the grinning lieutenant. “You mean I tried to stare down a Blackguard? No wonder it didn’t work.”

more luck staring down a Terenak...

Tyrion lounged next to the port wing of his Sunrider, watching the flight techs check the last of the modifications that was transforming a Mark V torpedo into a torpedo sled. It was fascinating watching the two techs, led by Lieutenant Varnas gut the seven meter torpedo of its warhead and prepare it to be a fighter mounted re entry vehicle.

he's gotta be part jansen...

“Chief, I know that, why do you think I asked you to do the work? But since I’m stuck with flyboy over there to actually get me there, I want to be extra sure this going to work. I really don’t want to end up as meat paste on some godforsaken mountain.”

:) :D :D

or a jansen...

Tyrion shook his head. “Alright, nutjob, I want to introduce you to the rest of the team. Follow me.”

better call sign than "mad man"

nutjob... :)

Jackhammer gave him a speculative look. “So, you’re the guy mad enough to lock yourself inside a Class V torp and try and land it?”

nutjob: yep...

Jackhammer quickly joined in the backslapping while Sirocco and Wizard offered more restrained congratulations. Tyrion wrapped an arm around the newly dubbed Mad Man and another around Sirocco’s shapely shoulders. A huge smile split his face. “Well team, time to celebrate. We’ve got twelve hours til we launch and I’ve got a couple of bottles of ’23 Firewine in quarters. It’d be a shame to die and leave them to someone else.”

nutjob: if i'm getting into this thing, damned if i do it sober...

Tyrion checked their mission plan once more and shook his head. He’d be lucky if he got out of this one alive, never mind the three other pilots flying in tight formation with him. And if their chances were slim, the survival chances of Echo Prime, the man riding on the belly of his fighter, were even slimmer.

skinnier than a twilek dancing girl's waistline...

“Oh I don’t know. Maybe volunteering to be stuffed inside a torpedo casing and fired at a planet just to deliver the mail?” Tyrion replied sarcastically.

nutjob: through rain, sleet, or uncontrolled atmospheric re-entry, the mail must get thru... :D

Tyrion through about that statement and compared it to what he’d read in the man’s file. “You know, you’re probably right.”

like the time you strapped on those jato packs to that groundcar on Altair IV and used it to catch up to that dominion high speed hovercraft to strafe a load of thermal detonators...

or the time you took the teenage daughter of admiral highwind to that bar in the red light district... :)

“So do I,” replied Varnas, his voice lacking the jubilant tone it had just had. “But really, there isn’t all that much to worry about. Either you get through and the computer guides me down til I pop my chute or it doesn’t and I go boom. Worrying about it isn’t going to a damn thing.”

probably less dangerous than a standard blackguard hot drop into a hostile LZ...i mean really, would the imperium ever expect something so utterly moronic and stupid? i thought not...

“Yeah. My idea of fun involves a pleasure planet, lots of fine spirits and even more fine and friendly women. And very little clothing.”

oh no....

Tyrion checked the chrono on his HUD. Two minutes to realspace. “Well, Mad Man, you survive this and we’ll hit one of those of planets and I’ll show you how much fun it is. Deal?”

Rizah will never be the same again after those two lunatics hit dirtside...

“Deal. But your buying.”

you're

Tyrion locked the targeting system on, the first torpedo acquiring the station and the second its surface target. A high ping sounded as both of the weapon’s computers confirmed lock on. Finger caressing the firing stud, Tyrion fired off one last comment. “Godspeed Mad Man.”

starwars-y moment there, firing torps at a battlestation...

With skill and precision, the four Sunriders banked hard and kicked emergency power to their thrusters. The fire was a lot thicker now as the Imperium fleet worked through shock into righteous fury. Particle beams and lasers flashed green and red as enemy fighters and capital ships tried to enact penance on the attacking craft. Still, the pilots of Echo Squad dodged and jinked their way through the forest of energy beams and fired a few of their own as they tried to escape.

crew chief: darn, i knew we forgot something when we set up echo flight...chaff packs and wild weasel electronic counter measure packs...

“Good luck Wizard,” Tyrion replied, grieving for his friend. Knowing there was little hope, he added, “If you can, get to the surface and head for the mountains.”

he's toast...its one thing to make an insertion when they don't know you're coming...its another to make a landing in a hot area...unless....

he can accelorate, and blow his escape pod at the last second..if he can time it right, the debris and emp pulse of the exploding fighter might mask the escape pod, and momentum might allow it to coast into the planet...

Wizard’s response was drowned out by the electromagnetic backwash of seven Class V torpedoes striking the almost complete battlestation. Behind the fleeing Sunriders a new, short lived star flared to life as station exploded in the night. One of the destroyers, too close to the station was swallowed by the blast wave, fires bursting from the dying ship as she tumbled out of control.

of course, they did cause enough of a ruckus that he just might make it...

And then with a flash of light, the three remaining fighters from Echo Squad vanished into the abyss.

yay!!! :P :D :D

#3 Guest_Theodur_*

Posted 12 December 2004 - 02:14 PM

:) Wow, I’ve got to hand it to you… I thought that Baby Doll was one quite annoying character, but this Tyrion is… ugh. Like UU said, he seems to be inspired by Haer, and since I hate Haer’s guts… :)

Hmm, I don’t know… it’s quite unfair though, isn’t it? I mean, you developed a fine, well-rounded character with a distinctive personality, in other words did a really excellent job with the story, but all I can feel is how I can’t stand that character. Makes me feel all… guilty. :D I suppose my dislike is in many ways grounded in the fact that I simply can not identify with the character, not for even a brief moment.

Heh, good example of that… the adrenaline rush, the thrill to risk with his life, that Bran also feels and that makes him abandon his safe haven of an aide… I just can’t understand that, and it feels rather stupid to me. Just my opinion of course… though, I am not sure just why Commodore allows him to participate in something like this, considering how valuable he finds his aide. Surely there would be other fools who would gladly undertake this job… not sure about Keldorn’s motivation at all.:D

Really liked the dwarf, though. I am glad to know they are also present in this universe… it would be a sad place without dwarves. :)

And, it’s been quite a while since a certain half-Seldarian appeared in your stories. I think that’s a huge mistake in need of correction. :)

#4 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 12 December 2004 - 03:57 PM

Notebread: Just a little something the quiz inspired, introducing an ASO Universe character who has yet to make his appearance but has been kicking around in my head for some time now.

Mmmmm... Sunday notebread brunch... way better than bacon & eggs...

Pffft. Excuse me, I'm gonna go get some -real- food.

:(

GASV Exeter

Mmmmm... Exeter... one of my favorite destroyer-classes from Wing Commander... :D

Then he checked his uniform to assure himself it expressed just the right amount of professional indifference.

Fly-boy, isn't he? He's got the "aviator" look to him...

I have an appointment, so if you could be so kind to let him know I’m here, that would be great. Oh, and while your at it, get me a cup of nearcaf.

This is where Bran should pull a "Life is like a box of chocolates, Commander... but -your- life is like this box of active hand grenades!"

Then he can toss the box and run. ;)

Lieutenant Varnas.

Maybe I'm getting wires crossed because my Imoen is a Lieutenant, but isn't ASO's Imoen also an Lt. in the "current" timeline? And if so, what rank is she now? Just curious.

“Sir, I would be more than happy to. However, the Commodore is currently in conference and cannot be disturbed. So, if you’ll just take a seat and wait, I’m sure it won’t be long.”

Yeah, they do that all the time.

"I'm sorry, sir, the attorney is in conference with a client. Can I take a message, please?" :D

He was no one’s fool and he intended to make sure this officious twit knew that.

Betcha that "officious twit" could put three plasma bolts into your head in rapid succession from distances over 50 meters. :twisted:

“Oh. I see,” Varnas replied gravely. His voice then changed. Now it dripped with insolence. “Now, stop me if I’m wrong, but is this part where I’m supposed to be intimidated by the big, bad flyboy?”

He's a pilot... oh boy... he's a pilot, and he's annoying me. I'm tempted to sic the Seraph on him.

:D

We'll see how he handles a Sabre on his six... :D

“I could stammer out a few apologies, or maybe even tremble a little if it would make you feel better.”

Raven: "Nice! Up high!"

That young lieutenant might be tough, but Tyrion knew enough how to take such men down. That thought brought a smile to his face as he walked into the Commodore’s office proper.

Pffft... I know the type. Reminds me of a character I ran into on this online SWRPG I'm part of. My character was a Major in the New Republic Special Forces, so she's infantry, and this bitchy Colonel from the Starfighter Corps walks in like she owns the damned place, says she's there to see the General, SpF, and starts giving the Admin staff a lotta garbage. So we start giving her grief right back, and then she goes off on a tirade about how she's got rank, and we need to be more respectful, and blah blah blah.

Garbage. I got pissed off, let her have it. Had my character go into a whole big speech about how you have to earn that respect; you're not just entitled to it.

And then, later, we put a shitload of rancid Mutandan Porf into her X-wing. ;)

The planet on the screen is Chebrash III, currently under siege by a Imperium battle group. Alliance space forces have been driven off, but elements of navy and army units are still in control of a certain key facility in this mountain range.

Raven: "Operation Frequent Wind all over again..."

Harlequin/Vixen/Castle/Ratchet: (Silent nods)

Tyrion blinked. Getting in and out was going to be nearly impossible. This was bloody insane. “Sir, you want me to land my Sunrider on the surface? No offense sir, but that’s insane. I mean I’ll do it, but it’s definitely going to be hairy.”

Neat.

The other will be a specially modified torpedo sled. This one’s target will be in the mountain range I already showed you. Therefore a serious threat is eliminated and our messenger inserted while the defense forces are busy with you.

I say again:

NEAT!

Keldorn kicks ass. He kicks so MUCH ass. :D

I like that plan. It rocks hard! :D

Hmmmmm... so I'm guessing, then, that it's going to be Bran who gets stuffed into the MIP?

-----

From Wing Commander IV:

Blair: "MIPs?"

Pliers: "Manned Insertion Pods... for when a shuttle would be too big, or attract too much notice."

Blair: "Lock and launch procedure?"

Pliers: "Just like firing an Imrec. 'course the guy inside's gotta release the safety first, then he's pretty much on his own with minimal steerage."

Blair: "Minimal?"

Pliers: "Enough to dock at the target, then get back out to where you can tractor him in. And, it gets pulled right back to one of your hardpoints... so you can fire it again, if you have to."

Incidentally, the game characters often referred to these things as SPAM Cans... which amuses me greatly. :)

And I know three other pilots crazy enough to try it and good enough to succeed.

Minstrel, Sparrow, and Spirit? ;)

“You’ve already met him, Commander. He’s the architect of this caper,”

This is Bran's idea? Huh... not bad... not bad at all... though I think Keldorn's got the stones to think up something like this, himself. :D

Airdales just don't intimidate Marines. It just doesn't happen. :D

“I be reading all systems green, sir,”

Just before I go and say something stupid, what accent are you going with for this character?

“Oy! We be done three levels of tests already, sir. Everything be checkin out, environmental, reentry, chutes, everythin. Me people do good work.”

Ah. Gotcha. He's a dwarf. 'kay. For a second, I thought you'd made him into a Rastafarian, or something. That woulda been hilarious. :D

Cipher: "Yeah, it sucks. Damned escape pods can't maneuver..."

Harlequin: "Damned Navy girls can't pilot ships..."

Cipher: :D

and the other was pale with hard eyes and nearly purple hair.

Psylocke!

(Snicker)

We’ll call you Mad Man.

I say we call him "Maniac." ;)

Maniac (Wing Commander II ejection quote): "Time to ride the crazy chair!"

I prefer the term "jarhead", myself. :(

Add a Jaboozie to the mix, and it sounds even better.

“Deal. But your buying.”

Well, he does outrank you, so he does get paid more.

“Casanova, firing two!”

Fox Three! Missile loose, missile loose! ;)

“Good luck Mad Man, you’ll need it.”

Ah, he'll be fine. :D

#5 Guest_Serena_*

Posted 12 December 2004 - 06:13 PM

The aide was a man, so was of no interest to him. Without really looking at him, he stated, “Lieutenant Commander Tyrion Saerdin to see Commodore Firecam as per his orders. I have an appointment, so if you could be so kind to let him know I’m here, that would be great. Oh, and while your at it, get me a cup of nearcaf.”

Let me guess . . . a fighter pilot, right . . .;)

Ooohhh!

*snicker*

;)

I kinda figured that . . .

“It doesn’t Commander,” replied the Commodore. “But being a former Blackguard does.”

:twisted:

“You mean I tried to stare down a Blackguard? No wonder it didn’t work.”

*snicker*

“Yup. And I’m not trying to land it. I get the torpedo into the atmosphere and then blow free of the casing. My sled fires off a few chutes and then I guide it down.”

Aie! Bran, you are insane!

This reminds me of Wraith Squadron. When they put Piggy into the concealed compartment, and bolt on a couple thrusters and an astromech. And then they send him flying into the hangar of the Corvette. ;)

We’ve got twelve hours til we launch and I’ve got a couple of bottles of ’23 Firewine in quarters. It’d be a shame to die and leave them to someone else.”

Yeah, because Bran may be insane, but even's he's not getting into that thing sober. :D

If Mad Man had made it through, his sled would be freefalling through Chebrash’s atmosphere right now. There was no way to tell if he had, but considering that it had cost him the life of a friend, he prayed he did. The light on the navicomp flashed green and Tyrion activated the Mectrix drive. As the fighter made the jump, he said, “Good luck Mad Man, you’ll need it.”

Indeed.

So what happens next? I want to know! ;)

#6 Arcalian

Posted 12 December 2004 - 06:48 PM

"Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to do Star Wars with class. If you fail the Quiz Host will disavow all knowledge of your annoyance."

Mad Man truly is mad. The bit of banter between them in the office was clever.

Nice. :twisted:
The road to the abyss may be paved with good intentions, but it is those with bad intentions that race down that road as fast as they can.

#7 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 12 December 2004 - 06:48 PM

I can just see him and doc aerie...he's gotta be haer inspired, right?

Actually, he's not. There are some similarities I imagine (having never used Haer, I only know him by this birdspeak). He's actually a modification of a recent RPG character of mine. A completely narcissistic and hedonistic bard. He'd rather conquer the bedroom than the battlefield. :D

casanova: CPO, I'm here to report to latrine cleanup duty.
chief petty officer: ah yes, the famous commander casanova...you know, we think well of you in maintainence, sir.
casanova: thank you, CPO. Now where is my mop?
CPO: why here, sir. (pulls out a toothbrush, with a toothy grin)
casanova: well, that's what you get for a ultra low speed pass over an admiral's barge...
CPO: and having the sonic boom knock him overboard, and the spray drenching the 20 thousand credit dress on the admiral's wife, and the admiral's daughter being so startled she jumped into the caviar buffet, and popping completely out of her cocktail dress...
casanova and the CPO in a chorus: and doing all that in the regatta held in honor of the alliance senator on a fact finding junket...
CPO: and of course the senator couldn't stop laughing, i think that's what pissed the admiral off the most...
casanova: yeah, admiral ramsbottom hates being laughed at..

Bran: "Yup. He's certainly done that. Although he's also gotten in trouble for sleeping with the Admiral's daughter."

Tyrion: "Well, considering how inventive she was, it was certainly worth it."

blackout: hey, you spend the last 3 hours reading and annotating for the commodore "a report on battle group waste reclaimation survey" and you'd be happy for some fun too...

Blackout: "That still wasn't as bad as the food processing and comsumption reports. I didn't think anyone could make me dislike turkey, but dear lord."

precisely the wrong person to say something like that too... :D

Heheheh. Yeah.

Blackout: "It certainly was.. amusing."

blackout: mommy...there, happy commander? (smirk)

Heheheh. Nice. :D :D And yeah, pretty much that. :D

back to the report...

Blackout: "No rest for the wicked."

he knows that the good ones come with attitude...besides, he can absolutely take him, off duty...fleet champ, walterweight division back when he was younger, and had less grey in his hair...

Commodore Firecam: "It is true. The best operators usually have attitude in buckets. I know I did. And it is always comforting to know I could still plant him if I needed to."

this plan must have been thought up by a Jansen... :D :D :D

Commodore Firecam: "Actually, no. Myself and a rather insane aide of mine."

or enough booze to pour into the poor sod to shoehorn him into the torp?

babydoll: actually all it takes is one...a Dolhmani Thunderbanger...

Blackout: "Hell yeah. One of those and you'd be ready to just strapped to the hard point yourself.

commodore firecam: thash righhht...wheresh that frelling sled? I wanna go for a ride...wheeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

blackout: sir, its time to go beddy bye... ;)

*snigger*

well, a desk has about the same aerodynamics of a mark V torp in atmosphere...

Bran: "Actually, a desk has better aerodynamic control if you ask me."

more luck staring down a Terenak...

Bran: :twisted: :D

he's gotta be part jansen...

Bran: "Just in the occassional lack of good sense."

Well, that would be painful.

or a jansen...

Bran: "Well, I'm not short nor do I have a turnip fetish, so I can't be."

Jaheira: "Thank the heavens."

better call sign than "mad man"

nutjob... ;)

Yeah.. probably. *shrug* ;)

nutjob: yep...

Wooohoo!!! Just give him a cowboy hat. :D

nutjob: if i'm getting into this thing, damned if i do it sober...

Bran: "No, not something to do sober. At all."

skinnier than a twilek dancing girl's waistline...

Yeah. Very much so.

nutjob: through rain, sleet, or uncontrolled atmospheric re-entry, the mail must get thru... :D

Nice one UU. I like it.

like the time you strapped on those jato packs to that groundcar on Altair IV and used it to catch up to that dominion high speed hovercraft to strafe a load of thermal detonators...

Bran: "Hey, that was fun. Right up to the part with those ladders and the cloth awning."

or the time you took the teenage daughter of admiral highwind to that bar in the red light district... ;)

Bran: "Now that was fun. Not so much the Admirals opinion on it, but it was."

probably less dangerous than a standard blackguard hot drop into a hostile LZ...i mean really, would the imperium ever expect something so utterly moronic and stupid? i thought not...

Bran: "That's what we were counting on. Them to not count on our stupidity and just figure one of the torps missed."

oh no....

Tyrion: "No? Oh yes!" ;)

Rizah will never be the same again after those two lunatics hit dirtside...

No. No it won't. :D :D :D

“Deal. But your buying.”

you're

starwars-y moment there, firing torps at a battlestation...

Stay on target.. Stay on target.. Stay on.. ARGGHHH *hiss crackle*

crew chief: darn, i knew we forgot something when we set up echo flight...chaff packs and wild weasel electronic counter measure packs...

That would certainly up the difficulty level.... :(

he's toast...its one thing to make an insertion when they don't know you're coming...its another to make a landing in a hot area...unless....

he can accelorate, and blow his escape pod at the last second..if he can time it right, the debris and emp pulse of the exploding fighter might mask the escape pod, and momentum might allow it to coast into the planet...

That would pretty much be his only chance. And with a blown engine and a failing power system, it isn't much of one.

of course, they did cause enough of a ruckus that he just might make it...

Casanova: "We're good at ruckus."

yay!!! :( :D :D

Glad you liked it UU. Thanks for reading and commenting, and look for more of the amazing Casanova in an ASO story coming to a computer screen near you. :P :D

VH

#8 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 12 December 2004 - 07:08 PM

;) Wow, I’ve got to hand it to you… I thought that Baby Doll was one quite annoying character, but this Tyrion is… ugh. Like UU said, he seems to be inspired by Haer, and since I hate Haer’s guts… :twisted:

I'm shocked Theo, I thought you actually liked Baby Doll. I know she certainly had aher fair share of language, but I thought you were kidding. *shrug* She's really not all that bad once you get to know her. :D

And as I just said to UU, I've never used Haer, so any similarities are incidental. But he is a cad.

Hmm, I don’t know… it’s quite unfair though, isn’t it? I mean, you developed a fine, well-rounded character with a distinctive personality, in other words did a really excellent job with the story, but all I can feel is how I can’t stand that character. Makes me feel all… guilty. :D I suppose my dislike is in many ways grounded in the fact that I simply can not identify with the character, not for even a brief moment.

Actually, I'll take that as high praise sir, if you thought the story was well crafted even though you didn't like the character. And as to the character, Tyrion wasn't exactly ever designed to be likeable. He's a cad and a narcissist, pretty much self absorbed. So, its alright if you don't particularly like him. You're not going to like every character.

I mean, I'm not much of an Eddie fan, even your revamped Eddie. It's no knock on you or your writing skills, but he's just not the kind of character I can identify with.

So basically, what I'm saying is, don't feel guilty. ;)

Heh, good example of that… the adrenaline rush, the thrill to risk with his life, that Bran also feels and that makes him abandon his safe haven of an aide… I just can’t understand that, and it feels rather stupid to me. Just my opinion of course… though, I am not sure just why Commodore allows him to participate in something like this, considering how valuable he finds his aide. Surely there would be other fools who would gladly undertake this job… not sure about Keldorn’s motivation at all.:)

*shrug* Some people are very much adrenaline junkies, and I imagine anyone who joins special forces or the equivalent would almost have to be.

As to the other questions, I'll let the characters themselves answer.

Bran: "Theo, it's not that I'm a fool or stupid, but that I'm a soldier. I volunteered to put my life on the line for king and country and all that kind of crap. I then volunteered to be a Blackguard. There are very few old Blackguards, my friend."

"I guess what I'm saying is, well, I didn't join up to stay safe and hide bheind a cordon of durasteel and shielding when there are people's lives on the line. It's not that I love putting my life in danger, but that I can't stand letting someone else do it for me."

Keldorn: "If I could, I'd never send a man or a woman of in a situation where they could die. But, there is a war going on and if we don't take up our banners, many more could die. Innocents. Women, children. So, as much as we hate it, as much as it eats away at your soul, you do it. If this mission cost me and the Fleet a very valuable officer but it gets the message through, than I have to take that trade off. As much as it might pain me."

Don't know if that makes sense Theo, but that's what they're thinking. *shrug*

Really liked the dwarf, though. I am glad to know they are also present in this universe… it would be a sad place without dwarves. ;)

Aye! I love dwarves, myself. And a universe without dwarves would indeed be a sad sad place. And yes, the ASO universe has more than its fair share. The Khazadan people are all over the place. :D

And, it’s been quite a while since a certain half-Seldarian appeared in your stories. I think that’s a huge mistake in need of correction. ;)

Ahh, yes. She has been missing as I've written these tales of a younger Bran. Well, Ch 18 is in progress, so you'll see her again soon, Theo. I promise.

Thanks for reading and for your honesty. I'm really glad you shared your insight and your perceptions on the story and the character. You may see him again, and who knows, he just might start to grow on you like Eddie's done to me. ;)

VH

#9 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 12 December 2004 - 09:20 PM

Notebread: Just a little something the quiz inspired, introducing an ASO Universe character who has yet to make his appearance but has been kicking around in my head for some time now.

Mmmmm... Sunday notebread brunch... way better than bacon & eggs...

Umm.. yeah. Right. ;)

Pffft. Excuse me, I'm gonna go get some -real- food.

Good idea. :D

GASV Exeter

Mmmmm... Exeter... one of my favorite destroyer-classes from Wing Commander... :D

Its just a good, solid ship name if you ask me. And the Exeter in this case is actually a Palermo class battleship.

Then he checked his uniform to assure himself it expressed just the right amount of professional indifference.

Fly-boy, isn't he? He's got the "aviator" look to him...

Got it in one. Originally a cad of a bard, so aviator was his only choice.

I have an appointment, so if you could be so kind to let him know I’m here, that would be great. Oh, and while your at it, get me a cup of nearcaf.

This is where Bran should pull a "Life is like a box of chocolates, Commander... but -your- life is like this box of active hand grenades!"

Then he can toss the box and run. :(

Bran: "You don't know how tempted I was to pull something like that. But I didn't because I would have blown up the office."

Lieutenant Varnas.

Maybe I'm getting wires crossed because my Imoen is a Lieutenant, but isn't ASO's Imoen also an Lt. in the "current" timeline? And if so, what rank is she now? Just curious.

Actually, Imoen Varnas hold no naval commission. She did go to the Academy with Bran, but due to an incident in 3rd Year, involving the Commandant's private movie collection and Commencement, she was 'transferred' to the Intelligence School.

So, she became an operative for the Allliance Intelligence Bureau, which is not a military affiliate, despite being rather.. paramilitary. Her rank at this point is the military equivalent of a 1st lieutenant of lieutenant jg. When she retired, she was the equivalent of a lt colonel or commander.

Yeah, they do that all the time.

"I'm sorry, sir, the attorney is in conference with a client. Can I take a message, please?" :P

Yes... they do. And most of the time they're just watching their soaps. Or in this case sipping nearcaf.

Betcha that "officious twit" could put three plasma bolts into your head in rapid succession from distances over 50 meters. :twisted:

Bran: "Most certainly." :D

He's a pilot... oh boy... he's a pilot, and he's annoying me. I'm tempted to sic the Seraph on him.

;)

Tyrion in a Sunrider would give her more than a run for her money. On the ground, he'd probably just try and engage. ;)

We'll see how he handles a Sabre on his six... :D

Casanova: "Bring it. Nobody can take me."

Bran: "It's true. Twenty years of service and he's still a lieutenant commander. Tells you how good a pilot he is and how bad a service record he has."

Raven: "Nice! Up high!"

Bran: *high fives* "Down low!"

That young lieutenant might be tough, but Tyrion knew enough how to take such men down. That thought brought a smile to his face as he walked into the Commodore’s office proper.

Pffft... I know the type. Reminds me of a character I ran into on this online SWRPG I'm part of. My character was a Major in the New Republic Special Forces, so she's infantry, and this bitchy Colonel from the Starfighter Corps walks in like she owns the damned place, says she's there to see the General, SpF, and starts giving the Admin staff a lotta garbage. So we start giving her grief right back, and then she goes off on a tirade about how she's got rank, and we need to be more respectful, and blah blah blah.

Actually, in this case, he's not so much pulling rank as just being a ginormous asshat. He's extremely cocky and very conceited. Pretty much a raving jackass.

I love this guy. :D

Garbage. I got pissed off, let her have it. Had my character go into a whole big speech about how you have to earn that respect; you're not just entitled to it.

And you can get a HELL YEAH son. :D :D :D

And then, later, we put a shitload of rancid Mutandan Porf into her X-wing. ;)

*monty burns voice* Excellent

The planet on the screen is Chebrash III, currently under siege by a Imperium battle group. Alliance space forces have been driven off, but elements of navy and army units are still in control of a certain key facility in this mountain range.

Raven: "Operation Frequent Wind all over again..."

Harlequin/Vixen/Castle/Ratchet: (Silent nods)

Wheeee......

Neat.

I thought so. :D

The other will be a specially modified torpedo sled. This one’s target will be in the mountain range I already showed you. Therefore a serious threat is eliminated and our messenger inserted while the defense forces are busy with you.

I say again:

NEAT!

Keldorn kicks ass. He kicks so MUCH ass. :P

I like that plan. It rocks hard! :D

*bows* It is a good plan. Even though it rates a 9.5 out of 10 on the insanity meter. :D

Hmmmmm... so I'm guessing, then, that it's going to be Bran who gets stuffed into the MIP?

Yup.

-----

From Wing Commander IV:

Blair: "MIPs?"

Pliers: "Manned Insertion Pods... for when a shuttle would be too big, or attract too much notice."

Blair: "Lock and launch procedure?"

Pliers: "Just like firing an Imrec. 'course the guy inside's gotta release the safety first, then he's pretty much on his own with minimal steerage."

Blair: "Minimal?"

Pliers: "Enough to dock at the target, then get back out to where you can tractor him in. And, it gets pulled right back to one of your hardpoints... so you can fire it again, if you have to."

Almost the same except this is a one time use device. Blow out through the bottom of the casing and use the sled to fly.

Incidentally, the game characters often referred to these things as SPAM Cans... which amuses me greatly. :(

Pop open one of those suckers. :D :D

And I know three other pilots crazy enough to try it and good enough to succeed.

Minstrel, Sparrow, and Spirit? ;)

Nope, Jackhammer, Sirocco and Wizard. :)

“You’ve already met him, Commander. He’s the architect of this caper,”

This is Bran's idea? Huh... not bad... not bad at all... though I think Keldorn's got the stones to think up something like this, himself. :D

Keldorn and Bran were looking over the scenario and Bran mentioned the atmospheric sleds that Blackguards use for similar type insertions. Although they're usually dropped in atmosphere from a shuttle. Keldorn thought of the torpedos.

Two mad scientists at work. :D :D

Airdales just don't intimidate Marines. It just doesn't happen. :D

Bran: "Nope. Not even when they're in their little planes."

“I be reading all systems green, sir,”

Just before I go and say something stupid, what accent are you going with for this character?

Dwarf. It's my own blend of weirdness.. a little Scottish, a little jumble.

Ah. Gotcha. He's a dwarf. 'kay. For a second, I thought you'd made him into a Rastafarian, or something. That woulda been hilarious. :D

Have you read Neuromancer? The Rastas in that are just plain awesome. :D :D

Cipher: "Yeah, it sucks. Damned escape pods can't maneuver..."

Harlequin: "Damned Navy girls can't pilot ships..."

Cipher: :P

Bran: "Try flying one of these suckers."

and the other was pale with hard eyes and nearly purple hair.

Psylocke!

(Snicker)

Not quite. Wizard wouldn't look so good in that outfit, being a dude and all.

We’ll call you Mad Man.

I say we call him "Maniac." :D

Maniac (Wing Commander II ejection quote): "Time to ride the crazy chair!"

I was going to do that, but I didn't want to be derivative. So I chose Mad Man. :D

I prefer the term "jarhead", myself. :D

Hehehe... well dusthead is like calling someone a crackhead, which Tyrion thinks someone would have to be to ride in a torpedo.

Add a Jaboozie to the mix, and it sounds even better.

Yes. Yes it does. :D

“Deal. But your buying.”

Well, he does outrank you, so he does get paid more.

See, all fair and equitable. :D

“Casanova, firing two!”

Fox Three! Missile loose, missile loose! :D

:D Yup.

“Good luck Mad Man, you’ll need it.”

Ah, he'll be fine. :D

Yeah, takes away a little of the suspense seeing he's the lead character in the story so far. :D :D

Thanks for reading and commenting Alpha. Glad you enjoyed. :D

VH

#10 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 12 December 2004 - 10:40 PM

The aide was a man, so was of no interest to him. Without really looking at him, he stated, “Lieutenant Commander Tyrion Saerdin to see Commodore Firecam as per his orders. I have an appointment, so if you could be so kind to let him know I’m here, that would be great. Oh, and while your at it, get me a cup of nearcaf.”

Let me guess . . . a fighter pilot, right . . .;)

Indeed. ;)

Ooohhh!

Hehehehehe. Yup. ;)

*snicker*

;)

:(

I kinda figured that . . .

When in doubt, look for the crazy person. :(

Bran: :D

“You mean I tried to stare down a Blackguard? No wonder it didn’t work.”

*snicker*

Tyrion: "How was I supposed to know. It's not like he wears a sign or something."

“Yup. And I’m not trying to land it. I get the torpedo into the atmosphere and then blow free of the casing. My sled fires off a few chutes and then I guide it down.”

Aie! Bran, you are insane!

Jaheira: "Yes. Yes he is."

This reminds me of Wraith Squadron. When they put Piggy into the concealed compartment, and bolt on a couple thrusters and an astromech. And then they send him flying into the hangar of the Corvette. :D

That sounds mildly crazy but kinda fun. :D :D

We’ve got twelve hours til we launch and I’ve got a couple of bottles of ’23 Firewine in quarters. It’d be a shame to die and leave them to someone else.”

Yeah, because Bran may be insane, but even's he's not getting into that thing sober. ;)

Bran: "Oh hell no."

Indeed.

So what happens next? I want to know! :D

The long and short is he makes it out. As you could imagine as well, there are many more ASO tales. As to the details.. I may write them, I may not. Depends on whether I feel the inspiration for them.

And Serena, thank you for reading and commenting. Glad you enjoyed. :D

VH

#11 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 12 December 2004 - 10:42 PM

"Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to do Star Wars with class. If you fail the Quiz Host will disavow all knowledge of your annoyance."

Well, since I wasn't disavowed, I must have done it right. :twisted:

Mad Man truly is mad. The bit of banter between them in the office was clever.

Nice. :D

Thank you kindly, Arcalian. Glad you liked it. Thanks for throwing up a such an inspiring quiz topic.

VH

#12 Guest_AlphaMonkey_*

Posted 13 December 2004 - 02:14 AM

Good idea.

Well, it wasn't bacon and eggs, (muffin and glass of milk) but I guess it was better than notemeal. :D

Actually, Imoen Varnas hold no naval commission. She did go to the Academy with Bran, but due to an incident in 3rd Year, involving the Commandant's private movie collection and Commencement, she was 'transferred' to the Intelligence School.

So, she became an operative for the Allliance Intelligence Bureau, which is not a military affiliate, despite being rather.. paramilitary. Her rank at this point is the military equivalent of a 1st lieutenant of lieutenant jg. When she retired, she was the equivalent of a lt colonel or commander.

Geez... so she freakin' outranked even Falynn?

Oh, hell... poor Harlequin... she ain't never gonna live this one down. Pink's gonna be all over her for the rank thing. Even Falynn would probably cop some flak from Bran over it... ick...

;)

Tyrion in a Sunrider would give her more than a run for her money. On the ground, he'd probably just try and engage.

Yeah... well, Aerie's pretty useless on the ground. And I won't even touch the argument that she's useless everywhere else, too. :(

Bran: "It's true. Twenty years of service and he's still a lieutenant commander. Tells you how good a pilot he is and how bad a service record he has."

Eh... did he make his ace classification on his very first sortie?

Actually, in this case, he's not so much pulling rank as just being a ginormous asshat.

"ginormous asshat..." I like that one. :)

*bows* It is a good plan. Even though it rates a 9.5 out of 10 on the insanity meter.

Well, since the insanity meter doubles as the "fun" meter, we're getting 9.5 stars of fun!

Have you read Neuromancer? The Rastas in that are just plain awesome.

That's exactly why I'm asking. ;) I'm a few chapters away from the end. Case just got his brain fried for the second time by that crazy Wintermute-wannabe. He's dreaming he and Linda Lee are on some deserted beach. Meanwhile, Molly got one of her eyes knocked out, and she's basically in custody. Etc. etc.

But yeah, Maelcum's awesome.

"Garvey a tug, mon."

;)

Let's not. Nalia can't fly worth a crap. :D

I wanna try and get something else up for this quiz... don't know if I'll make it, but it'll involve Nalia flying a Dominion carrier... the very idea cracks me up. ;)

Hehehe... well dusthead is like calling someone a crackhead, which Tyrion thinks someone would have to be to ride in a torpedo.

Ah... I forgot that "Dust" is a drug in your continuity... I thought you meant "dusthead" as in someone who slogs through the dirt, a.k.a. a GroPo.

Yeah, takes away a little of the suspense seeing he's the lead character in the story so far.

Well, you could always spring it on us that the current Bran is actually a flash-grown clone programmed by the Alliance with "sleeper" programming, and that he'll turn on everyone the instant some jerk-off in FIO decides to speak some silly codeword.

;)

#13 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 13 December 2004 - 03:05 AM

Good idea.

Well, it wasn't bacon and eggs, (muffin and glass of milk) but I guess it was better than notemeal. :D

Soup for me today with a nice glass of cider. Tells you when I got up. :D

Geez... so she freakin' outranked even Falynn?

Imoen V.: "Yeah. I did."

Bran: *scratches back of the neck and looks embarrased* "Technically, yeah, she was."

Oh, hell... poor Harlequin... she ain't never gonna live this one down. Pink's gonna be all over her for the rank thing. Even Falynn would probably cop some flak from Bran over it... ick...

:)

Imoen: "Heh. Heh. Heh. I can't help it if I am simply.. superior."

Bran: "Oh lord, here we go again."

Imoen: "What?"

Bran: "Another ego trip. Over your rank in Intelligence."

Imoen: "Oh yeah. That." *huge smile*

Tyrion in a Sunrider would give her more than a run for her money. On the ground, he'd probably just try and engage.

Yeah... well, Aerie's pretty useless on the ground. And I won't even touch the argument that she's useless everywhere else, too. :D

VH: "Well, as to that..."

*hiss of a hypospray*

Dr. Av'lina: "W..well, that's enough of that."

Eh... did he make his ace classification on his very first sortie?

;)

Bran: "No, he didn't. But he's test piloted most of the fighters in Alliance service and been involved in the design of two of them. He knows fighters. And pissing people off."

Actually, in this case, he's not so much pulling rank as just being a ginormous asshat.

"ginormous asshat..." I like that one. :D

*bows* Feel free to share that one freely. :( :(

*bows* It is a good plan. Even though it rates a 9.5 out of 10 on the insanity meter.

Well, since the insanity meter doubles as the "fun" meter, we're getting 9.5 stars of fun!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :D

Have you read Neuromancer? The Rastas in that are just plain awesome.

That's exactly why I'm asking. ;) I'm a few chapters away from the end. Case just got his brain fried for the second time by that crazy Wintermute-wannabe. He's dreaming he and Linda Lee are on some deserted beach. Meanwhile, Molly got one of her eyes knocked out, and she's basically in custody. Etc. etc.

But yeah, Maelcum's awesome.

"Garvey a tug, mon."

;)

You and I are actually about at the same place. It's good stuff. :D

Let's not. Nalia can't fly worth a crap. :D

I wanna try and get something else up for this quiz... don't know if I'll make it, but it'll involve Nalia flying a Dominion carrier... the very idea cracks me up. ;)

Bran: "Oh dear lord. I hope they clear the docking ring."

Nalia: "What's that supposed to mean?"

Bran: "Just commenting on your piloting. It seems... interesting.. in pretty much every AU."

Ah... I forgot that "Dust" is a drug in your continuity... I thought you meant "dusthead" as in someone who slogs through the dirt, a.k.a. a GroPo.

Nope, in this case we're talking someone who flies through the chemical skies. Not a GroPo. I like that short hand too. :D

Yeah, takes away a little of the suspense seeing he's the lead character in the story so far.

Well, you could always spring it on us that the current Bran is actually a flash-grown clone programmed by the Alliance with "sleeper" programming, and that he'll turn on everyone the instant some jerk-off in FIO decides to speak some silly codeword.

;)

DAMMIT! Stop reading my notes!

Ooops.

Hehehehehe. :twisted:

#14 Guest_Coutelier_*

Posted 13 December 2004 - 09:03 AM

Checking his chrono, he saw he was officially five minutes late for his meeting. Five minutes was as long as he was willing to push any flag officer’s patience. He’d made a career out of driving his superior officers crazy, honed his skill to a fine art, but there was only so far you could push someone with a flag.

Imoen: Y'know, I don't care what anyone says. I really like this guy already.

The door slid open, revealing a small, tidy room that served as the Commodore’s waiting room and the office for his aide. He strode in and up to the aide’s desk. The aide was a man, so was of no interest to him. Without really looking at him, he stated, “Lieutenant Commander Tyrion Saerdin to see Commodore Firecam as per his orders. I have an appointment, so if you could be so kind to let him know I’m here, that would be great. Oh, and while your at it, get me a cup of nearcaf.”

Imoen: Oh, anything else, sir? Want him to fetch the paper and then massage ya' feet perhaps? Lousy, no good...

Tarant: You know I'd like a coffee.

Imoen: Well ask Aerie.

Tarant: She popped out. Could you?

Imoen: Sure... wait there... (garglegarglegargle)...

Tarant: What's going on in there?

Imoen: (spits) Er, nothing. I was making you a cappucino.

Tarant: Thanks.

The aide looked up at him and fired off a salute. Pleasantly, he replied, “One moment, sir.” The young man quickly turned his attention to the viewscreen on his desk. Voice never losing that pleasant edge, he continued, “Yes, sir, you had an appointment at 0930 hours. However, it is currently 0936 hours. You are 6 minutes late.”

Edwin: Yes... I see he is good at mathematics...

Tyrion fixed the lieutenant with one of his best stares, the kind had sent many an officious little bureaucrat scuttling for a corner. “Let me put it into simple words, Lieutenant. I don’t appreciate being screwed around with.

Tarant: He prefers to do the screwing.

Imoen: Yeah... I've gone off him a bit now.

Tarant: You could borrow Aerie for a minutes. She's good to have around if you need to feel superior to someone. But no screwing.

“Because, Commander, I was told you’re the best pilot in the battle group, perhaps one of the best in the fleet.”

Imoen: Liking him a bit more again now...

Tarant: Oh, just make up your mind.

Jaelle: Well, that really is insane. I say go for it.

“I be reading all systems green, sir,” spoke up the lead tech, a dour faced Khazadan named Bjarni Steelsplitter.

“Good. Good. I’m getting the same thing,” Varnas replied from inside the actual sled itself where he was working on the flight controls. “Let’s do one last round of tests, just to be sure.”

...Och, ya lousy tea totl'ling english bastard...

Varnas smiled. “Yup. And I’m not trying to land it. I get the torpedo into the atmosphere and then blow free of the casing. My sled fires off a few chutes and then I guide it down.”

Provided the enemy doesn't see the chutes and shoot at them... he's taking a hell of a risk.

Jaelle: Well if they don't get the invoice delivered on time, the company will cut off their cable.

Imoen: That's what I always tell everybody... apart from the stuff about chutes and computers.

Jaelle: Yeah... just like the winters we had back home.

Jaelle: S'pose I agree with that. Only men, not women. Not that I'm afraid to experiment or anything, just never appealed much to me.

Jaelle: Poor Wizard... we barely knew him, but we always remember him (sniff).

Good story. I'd be interested in knowing what exactly happened to the young Lieutenant, but at least I've got this gut feeling that somehow it all worked out all right.

#15 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 14 December 2004 - 04:23 PM

Checking his chrono, he saw he was officially five minutes late for his meeting. Five minutes was as long as he was willing to push any flag officer’s patience. He’d made a career out of driving his superior officers crazy, honed his skill to a fine art, but there was only so far you could push someone with a flag.

Imoen: Y'know, I don't care what anyone says. I really like this guy already.

Tyrion: *bows* "Always a pleasure to meet a fan."

Imoen: Oh, anything else, sir? Want him to fetch the paper and then massage ya' feet perhaps? Lousy, no good...

Bran: "My thougts exactly. Its bad enough dealing with reports, but fetchign coffee, nuh uh."

Tarant: You know I'd like a coffee.

Imoen: Well ask Aerie.

Tarant: She popped out. Could you?

Imoen: Sure... wait there... (garglegarglegargle)...

Tarant: What's going on in there?

Imoen: (spits) Er, nothing. I was making you a cappucino.

Tarant: Thanks.

Bran: "Ahhh.. Imoen's special cappucino. Made with tender loving care."

Edwin: Yes... I see he is good at mathematics...

Bran: "Hey, what can I say. I can add."

*pulls out pulse rifle, aims*

"But I'd much rather subtract."

Tyrion fixed the lieutenant with one of his best stares, the kind had sent many an officious little bureaucrat scuttling for a corner. “Let me put it into simple words, Lieutenant. I don’t appreciate being screwed around with.

Tarant: He prefers to do the screwing.

Tyrion: "Indeed sir."

Imoen: Yeah... I've gone off him a bit now.

Tyrion: "My lady, have I offended? How can I make restitution?"

Tarant: You could borrow Aerie for a minutes. She's good to have around if you need to feel superior to someone. But no screwing.

Tyrion: "I do not screw. I... create physical art."

Imoen: Liking him a bit more again now...

Tarant: Oh, just make up your mind.

Tyrion: "Now sir, do leave the lady alone to make up her own mind." *pulls out a bouquet of roses and hands them to Imoen*

Jaelle: Well, that really is insane. I say go for it.

Bran: "Insanity is fun. You get to go to all sorts of neat places."

...Och, ya lousy tea totl'ling english bastard...

*snigger* Pretty much, yeah. :shock:

Provided the enemy doesn't see the chutes and shoot at them... he's taking a hell of a risk.

Bran: "Calculated though. The chutes are designed to be virtually invisible as is the sled. And you have to figure the damn tuskheads will be watchign the torpedo streaking towards them, not the little airsled.

Jaelle: Well if they don't get the invoice delivered on time, the company will cut off their cable.

Bran: "And you can't have that!"

Imoen: That's what I always tell everybody... apart from the stuff about chutes and computers.

Viga: "Strangely similar to what my Imoen's said on more than one occaission. Generally before things go boom."

Jaelle: Yeah... just like the winters we had back home.

Hehehe

Jaelle: S'pose I agree with that. Only men, not women. Not that I'm afraid to experiment or anything, just never appealed much to me.

Tyrion: "More than understandable. Care for a drink?"

Jaelle: Poor Wizard... we barely knew him, but we always remember him (sniff).

Yeah, he gets the short end of the stick in this story.

Good story. I'd be interested in knowing what exactly happened to the young Lieutenant, but at least I've got this gut feeling that somehow it all worked out all right.

Well, he does have some adventures on that planet, but he survives and grows up to be a an Alliance starship captain who leaves his command, goes independent and then ends up stuck on a ship full of zombies. :twisted:

Thanks for reading and commenting Coutelier. Glad you enjoyed.

VH

#16 Guest_MorningGlory_*

Posted 16 December 2004 - 02:39 AM

:shock: From what I understand via the grapevine, all you're willing to publish right now, that is. ;) :(

Like those superior officers that meet you with a toothbrush and give you a non-verbal direction to the latrine?? :)

Pulling out a pocket mirror, he gave himself one last once over. He carefully pushed a few loose strands of golden hair behind the graceful points of his ears, making sure his hair was perfectly placed. Then he checked his uniform to assure himself it expressed just the right amount of professional indifference. Satisfied with the look, he snapped the mirror shut and strode the last few meters to the Battle Group’s commander office and pressed the announcement button.

Now, who would guess he's a fly-boy. Surely his vanity wouldn't give it away.

Insolent, pompous jerk. LOL Love him already.. Obviously, the attitude is tolerated in direct proportion to the level of his skills and abilities in the cockpit. ;)

Slightly amused at the aide’s very pleasant rebuke, he replied, “I am aware of that, Lieutenant…”

“Lieutenant Varnas. However, I had other duties which I had to attend to, which has made me regrettably tardy. Now, if you’ll just announce me to the Commodore..”

“As does the Commodore, Commander. I’m sure the wait won’t be too long,” Lieutenant Varnas replied.

Good exchange. Yep, Bran's in charge. Make no mistake of it. :) And a very nice 'set-up' for later in the Commodore's office. :?

You know, these two could have just as easily ended up despising each other at first meeting. Interesting how you teeter the reader on that fulcrum of 'indecision' for a moment or two. Downright sneaky, VH. ;)

Fisticuffs? I think we could be bordering on the possibility! :shock:

“Really?” Varnas snapped his fingers. “See, I had a feeling that was the effect you were going for, but I couldn’t be sure, sir.”

Don't press it, Bran. He still outranks you, I believe. :) If Commodore Firecam gives him the toothbrush, he might be able to pass it along to you. :)

And, touche'! Game, set, match... :D

The Commodore looked up and Tyrion quickly saluted. “Lieutenant Commander Tyrion Saerdin reporting as ordered, sir.”

One eyebrow arched. “I see. I suggest you do not make a habit out of it, Commander.”

“Of course, sir. I’ll keep that in mind.” The reply was automatic but he couldn’t help but be disappointed that the Commodore hadn’t risen to the bait.

That streak of tolerance in the good paladin's soul. *sigh* Any other NPC, and I mean, it would be 'toothbrush time' for such a disrespectful answer. :shock:

“Sir, if it is so important, why haven’t they just blown it to kingdom come? Or used nukes on the troops?”

Commodore Firecam: Because, you idiot, we wouldn't have a story that features almost all your best assets as a character. Well, some will look at them as 'bad' assets, but they don't know you like 'we' do.

Tyrion: Oh, yeah.. I suppose you're right.... But the women love me. I got that going for me..

Commodore Firecam: *snort* That's a different story, Tyr, and a different 'skill' set. We hint at it here with your nic -- Casanova.

Thyrion: I liked that one better.... I did my own stunts. :shock:

The Badge of Arrogance, proudly displayed. ;)

“Commander, once again, you show great deductive ability. However, once again, you’ve failed to wait for all the facts before using that skill,” rebuked the Commodore. “The plan is this......"

Gotta love Keldy when his patience begins to wear a little thin. ;)

“You’ve already met him, Commander. He’s the architect of this caper,” replied the Commodore with a smile.

We all know that Bran was just *waiting* to deliver that ko. ;)

Varnas simply smiled.

LOL LOL

“Close enough,” asserted Jackhammer. “But I still think you’re a mad man.”

But then, the *rest* of us know that about him.. ;)

Tyrion snapped his fingers at the words. “I’ve been trying to come up with your call sign Varnas, and thanks to Jackhammer here, I’ve got it. We’ll call you Mad Man.”

That one should stick with him for a lonnnng time. Very fitting, too, I might add. :)

Jackhammer chuckled and Sirocco laughed gently while Wizard simply looked amused. Varnas himself didn’t seem too displeased either. “Well, why not? I am crazy, so might as well have that as a handle.”

He even agrees. :)

Switching to the fighter’s internal comms, Tyrion asked, “How you doing down there, Mad Man?”

“Oh come on, flyboy. Danger, impossible odds, a chance to pit your skill against theirs? I know you feel that juice. Why else would you be flying this mission?”

Another nice exchange, VH. I sense a slight mutual respect growing here. ;) Near-suicide missions will probably do that to comrades-in-arms. :?

“Mad Man,” he replied. “What you’re talking about is exciting. But I have a much different idea of fun.”

“Oh yeah?”

I really did think Bran could have come up with a snappier comeback here. :D

The other Imperium Cordoba got in a lucky shot just before Jackhammer blew it out of the sky. Two of its missiles slamming into port side of Wizard’s Sunrider. His shields flared yellow and red under the assault and the fighter pinwheeled as plasma vented from a rent in the hull. Wizard’s voice crackled on the comms, proud and unafraid. “Casanova, I regret to inform you I will not be accompanying you home. That hit blew out my Mectrix drive. I’ll cover your rear, now get out of here.”

:wink:

This deserves at *least* an epilogue. ;)

Very exciting, VH.. Kept my attention with palms' sweating, but I think we readers deserve to know more about Tyrion. This was only a 'splash and dash' introduction, and I am quite sure you have a very interesting character profile for our Commander Casanova here. :D

Good stuff, buddy.. Good stuff. ;)

MG

#17 Guest_VigaHrolf_*

Posted 16 December 2004 - 03:59 AM

[quote][quote]Notebread: Just a little something the quiz inspired, introducing an ASO Universe character who has yet to make his appearance but has been kicking around in my head for some time now. He may be making more appearances, but for now, this is all he's in. [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
:shock: From what I understand via the grapevine, all you're willing to publish right now, that is. ;) :(
[/quote]

*whistles innocently* I have no idea what you're talking about.

[quote]
[quote]
Checking his chrono, he saw he was officially five minutes late for his meeting. Five minutes was as long as he was willing to push any flag officer’s patience. He’d made a career out of driving his superior officers crazy, honed his skill to a fine art, but there was only so far you could push someone with a flag. They had a way of making life much more difficult than it needed to be. [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Like those superior officers that meet you with a toothbrush and give you a non-verbal direction to the latrine?? :P
[/quote]

Hehehe.. pretty much. :D

[quote]
[quote]
Pulling out a pocket mirror, he gave himself one last once over. He carefully pushed a few loose strands of golden hair behind the graceful points of his ears, making sure his hair was perfectly placed. Then he checked his uniform to assure himself it expressed just the right amount of professional indifference. Satisfied with the look, he snapped the mirror shut and strode the last few meters to the Battle Group’s commander office and pressed the announcement button. [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Now, who would guess he's a fly-boy. Surely his vanity wouldn't give it away.
[/quote]

No, of course not. Flyboys are never ever vain. *dies from sarcasm poisoning*

[quote]
[quote]
The door slid open, revealing a small, tidy room that served as the Commodore’s waiting room and the office for his aide. He strode in and up to the aide’s desk. The aide was a man, so was of no interest to him. Without really looking at him, he stated, “Lieutenant Commander Tyrion Saerdin to see Commodore Firecam as per his orders. I have an appointment, so if you could be so kind to let him know I’m here, that would be great. Oh, and while your at it, get me a cup of nearcaf.” [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Insolent, pompous jerk. LOL Love him already.. Obviously, the attitude is tolerated in direct proportion to the level of his skills and abilities in the cockpit. ;)
[/quote]

You've summed him up quite well. Him and his career path. He rides the edge of the insolence curve like a pro, just making sure he doesn't cross it and get booted. Being a dman good pilot helps a lot.

[quote]
[quote]

“As does the Commodore, Commander. I’m sure the wait won’t be too long,” Lieutenant Varnas replied. [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Good exchange. Yep, Bran's in charge. Make no mistake of it. :) And a very nice 'set-up' for later in the Commodore's office. :P
[/quote]

Thank you.

Bran: "Look I've got to do filing. I'm certainly not going to take ANY crap."

[quote]
[quote]
The tone was just right for the role of officious little aide, but as Tyrion studied the pleasantly smiling lieutenant, he noticed something. It was the smile. He expected it to be fake and insincere, just an affectation to shut him up. But it wasn’t. He could tell from the way the aide’s eyes held his. What he saw wasn’t annoyance but amusement. The lieutenant was playing with him, much like a cat with its prey. [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
You know, these two could have just as easily ended up despising each other at first meeting. Interesting how you teeter the reader on that fulcrum of 'indecision' for a moment or two. Downright sneaky, VH. :)
[/quote]

Thank you. I do try and surprise. :D

[quote]
[quote]
“Oh. I see,” Varnas replied gravely. His voice then changed. Now it dripped with insolence. “Now, stop me if I’m wrong, but is this part where I’m supposed to be intimidated by the big, bad flyboy?” [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Fisticuffs? I think we could be bordering on the possibility! ;)
[/quote]

Well, at least it would be short lived.

Bran: "Yeah, he can do things with a starfighter that'll make your stomach turn, but he's absolutely useless in a barfight."

Tyrion: "I'm a lover, not a fighter."

Bran: "Then stop picking so many of them."

[quote]
[quote]

“I could stammer out a few apologies, or maybe even tremble a little if it would make you feel better.” [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Don't press it, Bran. He still outranks you, I believe. :D If Commodore Firecam gives him the toothbrush, he might be able to pass it along to you. ;)
[/quote]

Bran: "This is why I didn't tell him what I really thought of him."

[quote]
[quote]Thoroughly annoyed, Tyrion grumbled, “You have your fun, Lieutenant?”

“No, sir. But it did brighten my day just a little.” [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
And, touche'! Game, set, match... ;)
[/quote]

Bran: "Victory is mine!"

[quote]
[quote]The Commodore looked up and Tyrion quickly saluted. “Lieutenant Commander Tyrion Saerdin reporting as ordered, sir.”

“Of course, sir. I’ll keep that in mind.” The reply was automatic but he couldn’t help but be disappointed that the Commodore hadn’t risen to the bait. [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
That streak of tolerance in the good paladin's soul. *sigh* Any other NPC, and I mean, it would be 'toothbrush time' for such a disrespectful answer. :shock:
[/quote]

I figure you have to really really push Keldorn to get him angry. The man seems to be hooked into some Zen center of calm that is frankly amazing.

[quote]
[quote]
“Sir, if it is so important, why haven’t they just blown it to kingdom come? Or used nukes on the troops?” [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Commodore Firecam: Because, you idiot, we wouldn't have a story that features almost all your best assets as a character. Well, some will look at them as 'bad' assets, but they don't know you like 'we' do.

Tyrion: Oh, yeah.. I suppose you're right.... But the women love me. I got that going for me..

Commodore Firecam: *snort* That's a different story, Tyr, and a different 'skill' set. We hint at it here with your nic -- Casanova.

Tyrion: I liked that one better.... I did my own stunts. :shock:
[/quote]

Bwahahaha!!!!! That is top rate MG!!!

Tyrion: "And its true, I do ALL my own stunts."

Bran: "Oh lord, someone get the hose."

[quote]
[quote]

“Yes sir,” replied Tyrion proudly. [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
The Badge of Arrogance, proudly displayed. :)
[/quote]

With the Bronze clusters :)

[quote]
[quote]
“Commander, once again, you show great deductive ability. However, once again, you’ve failed to wait for all the facts before using that skill,” rebuked the Commodore. “The plan is this......" [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Gotta love Keldy when his patience begins to wear a little thin. ;) [/quote]

It takes a while, but he doesn't suffer fools too well. ;)

[quote]
[quote] “Where are you going to find someone with enough loose screws to pilot the sled?”

“That would be me, sir,” came a third voice. [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
We all know that Bran was just *waiting* to deliver that ko. ;)
[/quote]

Bran: "Yes. Yes I was."

[quote]
[quote]

Varnas simply smiled. [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
LOL LOL
[/quote]

Imoen: "It was one of his evil smiles. They're pretty good, but not as good as mine." *evil smile*

[quote]
[quote]“Close enough,” asserted Jackhammer. “But I still think you’re a mad man.” [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
But then, the *rest* of us know that about him.. :?
[/quote]

Imoen: "Its true."

Jaheira: "Oh yes. It is." :shock:

[quote]
[quote] Tyrion snapped his fingers at the words. “I’ve been trying to come up with your call sign Varnas, and thanks to Jackhammer here, I’ve got it. We’ll call you Mad Man.” [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
That one should stick with him for a lonnnng time. Very fitting, too, I might add. :D
[/quote]

Well, frankly, if you're willing to strap yourself into a torpedo, you're pretty f'in nuts

[quote]
[quote]Jackhammer chuckled and Sirocco laughed gently while Wizard simply looked amused. Varnas himself didn’t seem too displeased either. “Well, why not? I am crazy, so might as well have that as a handle.” [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
He even agrees. :D
[/quote]

Bran: "I'd be a fool to argue with the evidence."

[quote]
“Oh come on, flyboy. Danger, impossible odds, a chance to pit your skill against theirs? I know you feel that juice. Why else would you be flying this mission?”[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
Another nice exchange, VH. I sense a slight mutual respect growing here. :) Near-suicide missions will probably do that to comrades-in-arms. :D
[/quote]

I imagine it does have an effect. It's hard not to respect such a person, if for nothing other than their abilities.

[quote]
[quote] “Mad Man,” he replied. “What you’re talking about is exciting. But I have a much different idea of fun.”

“Oh yeah?”

“That does sound pretty good.” [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
I really did think Bran could have come up with a snappier comeback here. :D
[/quote]

Bran: "Yeah... but I got caught by a mental image that severely limited brain function for a few seconds."

Imoen: "How could anyone tell?"

[quote]
[quote]The other Imperium Cordoba got in a lucky shot just before Jackhammer blew it out of the sky. Two of its missiles slamming into port side of Wizard’s Sunrider. His shields flared yellow and red under the assault and the fighter pinwheeled as plasma vented from a rent in the hull. Wizard’s voice crackled on the comms, proud and unafraid. “Casanova, I regret to inform you I will not be accompanying you home. That hit blew out my Mectrix drive. I’ll cover your rear, now get out of here.”

“Good luck Wizard,” Tyrion replied, grieving for his friend. Knowing there was little hope, he added, “If you can, get to the surface and head for the mountains.” [/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
;)
[/quote]

:?

[quote]
[quote]If Mad Man had made it through, his sled would be freefalling through Chebrash’s atmosphere right now. There was no way to tell if he had, but considering that it had cost him the life of a friend, he prayed he did. The light on the navicomp flashed green and Tyrion activated the Mectrix drive. As the fighter made the jump, he said, “Good luck Mad Man, you’ll need it.”

And then with a flash of light, the three remaining fighters from Echo Squad vanished into the abyss.[/quote]
[/quote]

[quote]
This deserves at *least* an epilogue. ;)
[/quote]

There is a somewhat of an epilogue attached to another.. episode of the T and B show. :D

[quote]
Very exciting, VH.. Kept my attention with palms' sweating, but I think we readers deserve to know more about Tyrion. This was only a 'splash and dash' introduction, and I am quite sure you have a very interesting character profile for our Commander Casanova here. :wink:
[/quote]

Thank you MG. And yes, I do have quite a bit of a profile of our dear friend Commander Casanova. :D Perhaps more will be forthcoming.

[quote]
Good stuff, buddy.. Good stuff. :)

MG[/quote]

Thanks again MG, for reading and for commenting. :D

VH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com