The Quick and the Dark

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Bibbi_*

Posted 21 March 2004 - 01:56 AM

They landed at dawn, somewhat refreshed after a few hours of sleep. The crew had proven more reliable than Saemon, and they reached the opposite shore without problem.

When Tybalt was ready to kill the crew as payment for their services, Ajantis and Aerie vehemently argued. Valygar and Jaheira agreed, forcing Tybalt to allow the men their freedom. No more blood needed to be spilt over Irenicus.

They had found their way back to the tunnels leading to the Windspear Hills. Ajantis had thought to ask the Order to provide knights to help fight Bhodi since the group had helped defeat Firkraag, and eliminating a vampire guild would surely be of interest to the paladins. The others weren’t so sure of the Order’s willingness to help Tybalt’s cause, but they had decided to use the tunnels to try to find their foes. Valygar thought that the vampires must have entered the caves, as they would have had to avoid the rising sun. There was little other shelter for the undead, and even if they had already moved on, the caves were the best place to start looking.

An imposing woman stepped out of the tunnel opening as they reached it, accompanied by four armed men. She looked as if she had been waiting for them. “So we meet at last, Tybalt. You have been hard to find, harder than most, but you can elude me no longer.”

“Get out of my way!” he shouted in reply. “I must find him.”

The woman raised an eyebrow. “Has our father’s taint worn away your mind?” she wondered.

“Our father? Another Bhaalspawn?” Tybalt drew his sword, and the others readied themselves for battle.

The woman smirked. “Yes. Not all of us have been wandering the Sword Coast like witless cattle, Tybalt. Some of us have been planning and taking action. The time of the prophecy is upon us, and I intend to be the one to carry it out. For that to happen, I must kill you.”

“You can try,” Tybalt snarled, leaping at her. “No one’s had any success, yet.”

“Illasera is more than a match for you,” she replied as the men around her rushed into action.

Despite her confidence, Illasera barely finished her speech before she and the men died. Her body dissolved into dust just as Sarevok’s had, wrapping around Tybalt’s form before vanishing into the air.

“One less sibling to worry about,” he said, searching her empty clothes. “I wonder how she knew who I was.” He pulled a small pendant out of the clothes, holding it up to the light. “This…I feel something in this.”

He handed it to Aerie, who muttered an incantation over it before widening her eyes and returning it to him. “I’m not certain, but I think that there’s a drop of,” she lowered her voice, “Bhaal’s blood in there.”

Tybalt held the pendant away from him, staring at it in disgust. “Why would she have such a thing?”

“It might be some kind of tracking device,” Aerie suggested. “Connecting all who share Bhaal’s blood in some way so that she could find them. Maybe you should destroy it, just in case.”

“No,” he said, staring at it before placing it in his pack. “It might come in handy later. For now, we have more important issues to deal with.” He set his jaw and marched into the caves, not giving his fallen sister another glance.

Jaheira and Aerie shared a concerned glance but knew better than to press the issue. They left the sunlight for the depths below, in search of Bhodi and her vampire coven.

They were still wandering hours later when Jaheira raised a hand to bring them to a halt. Valygar had tried to track the vampires’ flight, but it wasn’t easy; neither the terrain nor the quarry proved easy for his skills. Luckily the vampires had not tried to hide their passage. Claw marks lined the stone walls and an occasional lewd comment addressed to the group, specifically Tybalt, greeted them on the otherwise pristine surface.

“Someone waits for us ahead,” the druid announced quietly, clutching her staff. “Whoever it is, they aren’t trying to hide their presence, which means they are either a fool or powerful enough not to fear us.”

“Or both,” Tybalt added.

A figure detached itself from the shadows ahead of them, forming a cloaked old man. “Either way, this stranger has good hearing. I am glad to see that you are still on your toes, Jaheira, no matter what else has befallen you these past few months.” The man did not appear threatening, leaning on a walking staff and regarding the group warmly.

“And just who are you to be wandering these tunnels?” she demanded, not relaxing her guard.

“Just an old friend. Some call me Terminsel. I came by to give an apology, and hope that a decision made in haste was not final.”

“I’m listening, though if you are who you say, ‘Terminsel,’ then I must deplore your choice of anagrams. I thought I had made my decision clear at the time.”

“Yes, but things were not as they seemed in Athkatla. The Galvarey incident was…regrettable, in more ways than one. We lost many good Harpers over that meeting, most importantly you, Jaheira. The events following were not condoned by the Harpers, and Dermin was seen as a renegade. His position of Harper was revoked before you declared similar status for yourself. None of us blame you for what happened back there, Jaheira.”

“I…” The druid was at a loss for words.

“My question to you is this: do you regret anything that has happened since your arrival in Amn? Has your cause been a worthy one?” Terminsel looked at Tybalt.

Jaheira nodded. “Yes. I swore to remain with Tybalt, and so shall I remain until he has no further need of me. The oath I swore to Gorion still stands.”

“Not quite the answer to the question I asked, but it will do.” With the proverbial twinkle in his eye, the old man handed Jaheira a pin. Before he turned to vanish once more into shadow, he said, “A word of warning. I know what you are up against. Events surrounding the Children are uncertain, but Irenicus is a threat which must be stopped at all cost. He has enlisted a Drow city to attack the surface nearby. Be on the lookout for Drow forces as well as the vampires you seek. Where they gather, there you will find Irenicus and answers. Fare ye well.”

Jaheira allowed herself a grin as she examined the pin. Valygar looked over her shoulder. “What is it?”

“A Harper Pin, given only to those who have earned the greatest trust and honor. To wear one is a great privilege.”

“So you’re still a Harper?” Tybalt asked, relief apparent.

She nodded. “I knew that the entire group could not support Galvarey. To act in such barbaric fashion, that was not why I became a Harper.”

Valygar hugged her. “Some good has come of this, then.”

“Yes. Let us follow ‘Terminsel’s’ advice and be on the lookout for Drow. Nothing good can come from their involvement.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com