Amulets

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Soris_*

Posted 10 January 2003 - 06:32 PM

Amulets

Viconia and Soris walked among the various tables strewn with wares that propagated themselves in the docks district. Most of the vendors sold nothing but useless junk, but occasionally either Viconia or Soris would spot something interesting and would pause for a moment. Soris stopped much more often than Viconia. Eric ran ahead of them, pushing through the crowd and enjoying the sights, sounds and smells that enlivened the world around him.

Fish! That man is selling fish! We could…Wait! That woman…chicken! Chicken Soris! Chicken!

The cub’s brain was on overload. Soris tried to calm him, but as with children and small animals, his attempts at calming only brought on renewed fervor in the little beast.

Please! I’ll never beg for anything ever again, well at least not loudly.

Soris chuckled at the last remark. He was tempted to scold his companion for making promises he knew would not be kept, but Soris knew he had made a few of those promises himself in his youth. He stopped at the vendor a purchased, a small, whole chicken. He set it down before the cub and watched the attack. The chicken was gone in less than a minute.

How do you do it?

Do what?

Eat like that?

I don’t know? Take large bites and don’t chew too much, oh and no talking.

Soris chuckled. Alright, but try not to overdo it. We will be in the city for a while. You have plenty of time.

Eric gave him the equivalent of a nod, but Soris knew the little animal hadn’t heard a word that had been said. The young sorcerer cleaned up the remains, and the young tiger gleefully bounded back out into the crowd. After his young friend left, Soris turned back to Viconia only to find her examining several sacrificial knives and bartering furiously with the proprietor of a small stall. Soris knew what the knives were for, and he didn’t really want to watch Viconia barter for them. He didn’t like Shar, but he knew what Viconia’s faith meant to her and he accepted it. He used the time to glance around at some of the other tables.

“Oh, you! Sir! You look like the type who might have the eye for a fine object or two.”

The man wore a peculiar smile, and Soris couldn’t help but grin back. “I might be. Who are you, and what do you have that might interest me?” Soris did his best impression of Jaheira and arched one eyebrow.

“Me? I am Big Al, founder of Big Al’s Accessories. I have several stores, scattered across the realms. Perhaps you’ve heard of me?”

“No, I’m afraid I haven’t.”

“Well, no matter. You’ll find that we have only the finest at Big Al’s.”

Soris smiled again. “I’m sure. Now let me take a look.”

Soris looked over the various rings, amulets, pendants, and other various and sundry accessories. Most of them were attractive, but none seemed particularly special. He was about to leave when one small amulet caught his eye. It was in the shape of a star and it hung on a very thin, almost transparent gossamer thread. Soris could tell from the lines of power twisted about it that it was heavily enchanted, but he could not tell anything else. He really was not very good at divination. It held his attention, and he was suddenly filled with a vision of the star adorning Viconia’s neck. He knew she did not wear much jewelry, and he tried to shake the idea out of his head but couldn’t.

“How much for this one?” He held it up.

Big Al adopted a pained expression. “2000 gold and not a penny less. It is worth every piece of that 2000 gold too.”

“2000 gold is a rather large price. What exactly does it do?”

“You see, that’s the thing. Its powers depend upon the user, and can even shift with intent. For some, it is an item of unbelievable power. For others, just a pretty necklace.”

Soris nodded. He could see power lines flowing in and out of the amulet. As he thought of Viconia, he could feel it growing warm. He didn’t think he could give it back, even if he wanted too.

“I’ll take it.” He plunked down the 2000 gold, and was surprised to find that Big Al also gave him a small box in which to keep it. The sorcerer, looking very much like a thief, grasped the box and slid it into his pocket in one swift motion.

He finished just in time. No sooner was the amulet safely whisked away, then he felt a hand gently squeeze his shoulder.

“What are you doing here?” Viconia gestured to table and to the smiling, burly man behind it.

“Ahhh…Nothing really, just looking.” The shopkeeper gave him a wink, and Soris breathed a sight of relief when Viconia finally moved on.

“Good. I would hate to see you wasting gold on such trivial items. Come. We should be going. It will most likely take a great deal of time at the dwarf’s forge.”

Soris followed her down the street. Great. Now she sounds just like Jaheira. He sighed, and wondered what to do. Suddenly, his gift, which had seemed like such a good idea at the time, seemed somewhat trivial and, well dumb. He gently tapped the box in his pocket and decided to wait, at least for a little while.

If he had been less distracted, he might have notice a slender Drow hand flick towards a pouch at her belt, a pouch that was growing steadily warmer, but he didn’t, and both Drow and sorcerer remained blissfully ignorant of the plans each had laid for the other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com